• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

ResetEra 2.0 New Features Guide

Oct 26, 2017
www.vgmuseum.com
PC ERA:

Any way to turn off that pop-up thread preview? When I'm scrolling through the threads, these popups keep appearing and sometimes they don't even go away unless I click on an empty space. I have no need to see thread previews, so is there any chance of adding an option to turn them off?

MOBILE ERA:

Any way of adding an option to increase the font size without also increasing the images/formatting? I have poor eyesight, and this new forum version has very small font size compared to the old one. Even with glasses I have trouble reading for long periods of time. I could always zoom, but that means the text goes out of the screen and I have to be moving the page left/right all the time.
Any chance of adding such accessibility option for people that aren't young'uns anymore?

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to disable avatars totally (like in the thread for all posts)?

Is there a way to not have images load and instead be links on mobile like you could on the old design?

At least "similar threads" is gone and I hope can be disabled when it comes back. So much unnecessary stuff for me compared to the old design.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but is it possible to change my email now?

I no longer have access to the email i signed up this account (.ac) with since i left Uni, i don't want to accidentally change the email and im suddenly locked out of my account because i need to click the confirmation link in the email

Also is it possible to change mine to a normal gmail account?

Oct 25, 2017
D.C.
Change the header menu to include forums instead of the user-unfriendly "quick jump" box, disable thread previews on hover, and allow users to disable the sidebar permanently and that'll probably do it for usability.

Those are my only three wishes at this point.

Oct 28, 2017
Why did we decide to not have Resetera autowidth the core posting interface? Last week my posts would go the full width of the page on my 1440p monitor, now they are stuck in the middle like I'm on 800*600 :(

Nov 4, 2017
How comes the new recommended avatar size "at least 400x400 pixels"? Thats pretty big! Not seeing any place where they'd be displayed at full size like that? Heck, same can be said for my current 200x200 avatar. Its scaled down to 48x48, 96x96, and 192x192 in various places. If I do wanna change mine should follow the new guideline or like does it not really matter?

Oct 25, 2017
Don't use the staff tag. It's a bannable offense.

It apparently has to be there in order for people to be able to quote it (the use case of why you'd want someone to quote it being beyond me), but I don't know why they would leave it as an option in the editor.

Also, it apparently has issues with quotation marks in it.

Don't use the staff tag. It's a bannable offense.

It apparently has to be there in order for people to be able to quote it (the use case of why you'd want someone to quote it being beyond me), but I don't know why they would leave it as an option in the editor.

Also, it apparently has issues with quotation marks in it.
woops should i edit my post?

this feels like a very weird ban trap lol

pretending to be staff by using the staff tag is a bannable offense

i guess accidentally pretending to be staff is also a bannable offense?

but here comes the important question:

as a way to deliver joke, one will sometimes quote someone and change a word or two in the quote

so the staff tag is there in order to quote mod posts. but is quoting a mod post but changing some words inside the quote to make a joke bannable or not bannable 🤔

Oct 30, 2017
Australia
They actually did hold a beta test period, and you're being pretty damn hyperbolic.
Seems like once again it just wasn't wide enough to get proper feedback because like before we continue to have this trend of superfluous design choices that just hinder the user interaction. This is a forum, why is it so dressed up and over-the-top on things purely for aesthetic character? Yeah my comment is hyperbolic but it just keeps happening and it's becoming tiresome to see iterations ignore basic functionality for non-essential items.

Why are there giant banners saying the thread's title? Why does everything have to animate? Why is my extended screen choice not sticking each time I come back? Why is it still so ridiculously hard to get post tools like edit visible clearly on mobile? Why why why.

Also if you are going to have a hamburger menu then have it actually scroll with you. On PC it just scrolls to a point then gets left behind. What is the point?

Last edited:

BronsonLee

Don't worry I'm on the case
Oct 24, 2017
pretending to be staff by using the staff tag is a bannable offense

i guess accidentally pretending to be staff is also a bannable offense?

but here comes the important question:

as a way to deliver joke, one will sometimes quote someone and change a word or two in the quote

so the staff tag is there in order to quote mod posts. but is quoting a mod post but changing some words inside the quote to make a joke bannable or not bannable 🤔
You're goin' down

Oct 25, 2017
This is quite good. In particular the old ERA had a persistent problem with garbled editing using gboard on Android, and nothing helped except switching off the smart editor. That problem seems to have vanished.

Thanks for the hard work that went into making an exemplary switchover.
That was an issue with XenForo 1.5 that both XF and Google insisted was the other party's fault, yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
You know. The more i spend time with 2.0. The more i'm liking it. At this point i think i actually prefer it to 1.0.

Though i will say, there is fatal flaw holding back 2.0. Which is the lack of the live thread feature. IMO.

EDIT: I hope i'm not coming across as a cunt about the live feature. That genuinely isn't my intent. So i apologise if i'm being seen in that way.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a different question but do you guys have an official way to thank the team behind all this? Bugs have been fixed pretty quick, new mobile layout is great, and all the new features have been awesome. Don't want it to get buried or missed since I'm guessing folks are still working.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to make some covers but it seems like I can't drag to reposition them on mobile. Also when I switch to desktop view, it looks like the cover dimensions are totally different from how they are on mobile?

Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
Question.... I may have missed it, but didn’t see it anywhere yet. I used to use the ‘mark all forums as read’ function on ERA 1.0 quite often. I don’t see that option anymore. Now I have to go into ‘Video Games’ and mark that specifically as read, and then do the same for ‘EtcetERA’ sections too.

Is there no longer one button that marks all of ERA as read for me anywhere? Thanks!

Dec 18, 2017
The old forum navigation bar is sorely missed. Having to click the list box or sandwich menu to jump between Video Games and Etcetera is slower.

There's plenty of space to cram even the new forums on a navigation bar.

BronsonLee

Don't worry I'm on the case
Oct 24, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
The jump arrows work correctly, only problem is they go to ClearEra (Because it's at the bottom). Working as inteded?
It's great that we do not have suggested threads anymore (or maybe there should be an option to enable them).

IMO only things that can be changed for the better are the banner in each topic, maybe it can be optional like polls (If the OP adds one, it's there, if not, there is no banner).

And as other said an option to disable avatars in the threads list.

Thanks as always for your hard work.