• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

ResetEra 2.0 New Features Guide

Oct 25, 2017
There are so many things I want to report, most of the annoying when you pile them up and overall I feel like this update has been a downgrade in my Era browsing experience. I'll write in more detail and specify between desktop and mobile versions later tonight when I have some more time, but just a few things to point out:
  • No OP tag (bring it back)
  • Clicking a thread title should take me to the first page of it, not to the first "new" post I missed
  • Not a fan of the "New" tags in posts
  • Better way to highlight own and posts where I've been quoted
  • Quick access to different forums without having to click "Quick Jump" first, it takes 2 clicks now instead of the 1 it used to take
  • Bring back "Go to bottom" and "Go to top" buttons please
Regarding mobile:
  • Let me the pages a thread has when I'm in a forum seeing the thread list, like while being on "Video Games" or "EtcetEra", right now pages do are not displayed on mobile so I cannot click a specific page.
  • Implement the above while on a specific thread as well, maybe I want to specifically go to page 2 instead of 3, or to the second to last page instead of the last one.

And as other said an option to disable avatars in the threads list.
This as well, I gotta say that trying to browse Era while at work is much harder now since I feel like the page basically screams "VIDEOGAME FORUM". Would be nice if the forum had options to make it more "work or procrastination-friendly".

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
love the new looks and feel :)
couple/three of things:
1. the spoiler icon is in the insert sub menu and the main.
2. i just saw you've added the hide tag. is there a place where there's a legend of tags?
3. the BB code toggle - i can't comprehend when the BB code is on or off

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is bookmark gone for good or still being tested? Also, I don't have any threads so I can't see if threadmark is gone or not. Is it gone too?

Moreover, if there can't be custom covers in the end, I'd suggest just getting rid of them. The defaults are a waste of space.

Either way, the defaults would be better if they fit the color schemes.

BronsonLee

Don't worry I'm on the case
Oct 24, 2017
Is bookmark gone for good or still being tested? Also, I don't have any threads so I can't see if threadmark is gone or not. Is it gone too?

Moreover, if there can't be custom covers in the end, I'd suggest just getting rid of them. The defaults are a waste of space.

Either way, the defaults would be better if they fit the color schemes.
First bit: Being tested for performance

Second: Custom covers should work now, try them out

Oct 25, 2017
The tag now appears on the OP's avatar.
I’m super grateful for how quickly the team implemented the OP ribbon, but I’m hoping it’s a stopgap toward the original version, because there are a couple problems with it:
  • It isn’t noticeable enough, to the extent that it’s virtually invisible on Dark Theme, or on anyone with a dark avatar.
  • It isn’t searchable (e.g. you can no longer ctrl+f “Original Poster”).
I’m not technically-minded, but we still have Administrator/Verified tags for people — which seem identical functionally to the old Original Poster tag. Would it not be possible to create one from that?

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to turn off the preview pop up that happens when your cursor hovers over a thread? It's kind of annoying and useless since a lot of the time there are just a partial image and not much info you can gather. It would be nice if there was a way to turn this off as an option.

I really love all the feature and new look, great job everyone and thank you. I've only been here for a few months but I'm really impressed with how this place is run.

On to one question I do have. Is there a way to jump to the top of the page when I'm scrolled all the way to the bottom?

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the work you guys and girls put in but christ almighty is the new layout ugly and annoying to deal with. I'll adapt but I hope we can get a simplified view or something going for mobile soon. I really feel avatars on the main form pages just add unnecessary clutter.

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of things i occurred to me in the last hour of browsing (i've only awake for that long)

-As i was doing my morning greetings to my peoples in the BCC. I noticed that the quote button when selected wasn't very bright at all, and i had a little trouble telling whether i clicked it or not. I think it should be a slightly brighter. Please.
-Speaking of brightness. Mods warning/bans. Should be their nice clear red again (as they were in 1.0) I almost completely missed them as i was scrolling through a thread, and did a double to take because i didn't originally know what it was.

Sorry if these have been brought up by other users and addressed already.

Thank you for your time, and enjoy the rest of your day.

Oct 25, 2017
The redesign is looking great guys, but I do have a suggestion for mobile. The old client had a refresh button that scrolled with the page so you could refresh without going all the way back to the top of the page. Is it possible to add this to 2.0?

Oct 27, 2017
I love the new look but man all the stuff missing from mobile is killing this for me. I spend 99% of my time on mobile and not having refresh, jump to top, and jump to bottom is making following active threads impossible

Oct 25, 2017
Idaho
Search is a massive downgrade from the original site. Having search results no longer ordered chronologically makes the feature inferior to the point of being useless in most cases for me. I know you can change how a search is sorted in an advanced search, but if I'm trying to find particular posts in a specific thread, I can't use advanced search.

I'm also greatly missing any form of highlighting for self posts/threads. Please bring this feature back!

Oct 26, 2017
I’m super grateful for how quickly the team implemented the OP ribbon, but I’m hoping it’s a stopgap toward the original version, because there are a couple problems with it:
  • It isn’t noticeable enough, to the extent that it’s virtually invisible on Dark Theme, or on anyone with a dark avatar.
  • It isn’t searchable (e.g. you can no longer ctrl+f “Original Poster”).
I’m not technically-minded, but we still have Administrator/Verified tags for people — which seem identical functionally to the old Original Poster tag. Would it not be possible to create one from that?
+1

shira

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Can we have monthly contests for artists to do the cover pictures for Video Games and Etcetera?

I would really love to see some great art instead of colored boxes.

Please add this in user preferences:

Add this function to the quick search.Before the update the search engine was perfect showing the results by order. Now it seems to show you the quick results by relevance. To search by date order i have to go by 3-4 steps in advance search options and it's a waste of time.

Search is a massive downgrade from the original site. Having search results no longer ordered chronologically makes the feature inferior to the point of being useless in most cases for me. I know you can change how a search is sorted in an advanced search, but if I'm trying to find particular posts in a specific thread, I can't use advanced search.

I'm also greatly missing any form of highlighting for self posts/threads. Please bring this feature back!
Completely agree in all. Please revert the changes.

Can we bring back our own responses being highlighted in-thread? This was one of my favorite features.
+1

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place but can you make it that when you open a thread with embedded videos a link to the video is also generated and posted underneath?

Because right now you click on the link, and the video isn''t even clickable until the entire page loads. Like you can see the thumbnail but it's just an image. Frustrating.

Oct 27, 2017
Covers for Threads and Profiles

This is a particularly fun feature which we're very pleased to be able to offer. When ResetEra 2.0 goes live and the migration is complete, members will be able to upload cover images to personalize their profile pages. Thread creators will also be able to upload and select covers for individual threads as well! These uploads have a recommended resolution of at least 600x1000 and will be limited to 250kb (easily achieved with reasonable jpg compression).
Covers will be moderated like any other images or avatars. Please note that we will be monitoring the effect of this feature on site performance, and may make future adjustments as necessary.
RE: Bolded

I assume this is height x width?

Has anyone implemented this in their OP? I'd like to in mine, but it would be useful to see some examples of what the feature is and how it looks in the wild.

Oct 27, 2017
Can we get hovering thread jump at bottom on mobile like last time? I jump a lot from game to etcera a lot and now on mobile I have to use both hands to get to the top and then select from a drop down.

Oct 27, 2017
Quick feedback:

The removal of the avatars on the main page is a good start but now the text is too close to the left end of the mobile screen. Needs a couple of pixels of breathing space

The optional arrows to immediately scroll down or up worked much better in the past since on an iPhone one has to click now twice instead of once to actually activate the button

Oct 25, 2017
I preferred the previous color scheme for Watched Threads. It seems to have changed this morning to white bolded text for new stuff, and light grey for visited stuff. The lack of contrast makes it too hard to tell them apart at a glance.