• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

ResetEra 2.0 New Features Guide

Nov 15, 2017
two clicks > Quick Jump, move down, Watched

This is making my experience much more shitty, even this little thing. Why moved Watched from just a link at the top? Take it out of the quick jump list and add as a button.

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one that would want quick jump and refresh at the bottom of the screen? Or under the last post in a discussion?

Impossible to reach the buttons at the top when holding your phone with one hand.
If those buttons we're just at the bottom of the screen, it would be perfect. The UX of the new layout is the opposite of what I want. Was there no way to add a refresh to the bottom of the screen with the old up, down, buttons? Or an option for a bottom sticky bar? The old layout with things at the bottom made the site perfect for mobile.

Nov 15, 2017
If those buttons we're just at the bottom of the screen, it would be perfect. The UX of the new layout is the opposite of what I want. Was there no way to add a refresh to the bottom of the screen with the old up, down, buttons? Or an option for a bottom sticky bar? The old layout with things at the bottom made the site perfect for mobile.
can you just click the three dots on Chrome and then hit reload?

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to ignore a certain board if you prefer one over the other? I despise politics and political crud due to them spiking up my anxiety and on the old site it was very easy to ignore since I just went to watched threads, but now the front page flat out makes it wide open and the most recent posts can come from it too, along with it being a sidebar thing now. I'd at least think being able to hide that board for the sake of my anxiety and not see people complain all the time so I could just focus on games (along with those who don't care about VG being able to ignore that) would be a neat addition. I know on the home page you can collapse the two different groups of boards but not each of the four individually, so maybe something like that?

IDK, I just hate seeing the politics ramp up here even though I spend more time on the gaming board and the old site made ignoring that super easy since it wasn't in your face all the time and the most recent topics weren't shoved down your throat
Yes, each board has an ignore button on the top right that makes the whole thing disappear. I think you'd be among the first to use it intentionally though; most of the time in the bug report thread people accidentally end up ignoring it and report the disappearance as a bug.

Oct 27, 2017
can you just click the three dots on Chrome and then hit reload?
You absolutely can, it would be the same as it being on the top sticky bar. The issue is, comfort and convenience wise, as others have already stated, having all this at the bottom of the screen like it used to be, is ideal for one handed viewing on mobile.

Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Not sure where to post this, but I “added to home screen” on iOS , and while the full screen resetera experience is amazing, all browsing functionality is gone which makes it unusable in webapp mode.

As in, I can’t swipe to go back, and there are NOC forward/back shortcuts, basic buttons, etc.

Fix this and it will be a great addition to ERA though!

Nov 3, 2017
Yes, each board has an ignore button on the top right that makes the whole thing disappear. I think you'd be among the first to use it intentionally though; most of the time in the bug report thread people accidentally end up ignoring it and report the disappearance as a bug.
Oh thank goodness this made my day! It’s very easy to gloss over so I can see how accidentally clicking it would lead to some confusion, ahaha. But at least it’s a thing they thought of

Oct 28, 2017
texas
For Mobile, can the Edit button for your own posts just be displayed rather than having to tap the ellipsis and then tapping “Edit”?

There’s plenty of room and saves a tap.

Oct 27, 2017
The feature was changed so that is no longer applicable. There is currently no option to move the navigation buttons back to the bottom.
Very disappointing... I'd have the old forum in a heartbeat even with all the stuff added to this version BECAUSE of the floating main forum jump option at the bottom. As someone who constantly jump from videogame to etcera frequently, even bottom two clicks to get to main forums is annoying let alone the current layout at th top. Given more and more people are probably using mobile version, that's hugely inconvenient. /end rant

Oct 25, 2017
A weird empty space has started appearing at the top of every page on the mobile site today. Here's how it looks sitewide for me right now with no adblocking or anything else that would affect page rendering.

Oct 25, 2017
A weird empty space has started appearing at the top of every page on the mobile site today. Here's how it looks sitewide for me right now with no adblocking or anything else that would affect page rendering.
From the other thread:
Information
We have added a forced height to the desktop leaderboard ad placement so that it will no longer push content down on load.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn’t mind seeing a thread title filtering option so we could add keywords, and not see those threads that have them. Mainly for spoilery stuff, at least for me. I could automatically ignore anything that had “Avengers” or “Endgame” or “Anthem” in the thread title, for example. Any chance of this happening?

Thanks for all the great work you all are doing!!

Oct 27, 2017
I just discovered the highlight->auto quote feature. It’s brilliant.

I’ve never had “related threads” pop up when creating a thread. I don’t feel their too unique. I thought this was among the more interesting new features and will be happy to see them eventually pop-up for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
In mobile (Android 9 using the default browser), when searching something the keyboard dissapears. So I can't write anything. I don't know if this has to do with the new verison of Android.

Edit: Sometimes it works. I'll keep testing it.

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I love those new features. 2.0 is a true achievement in comparison to the old version and especially in comparison to the old place... ;)
Thanks for your tremendous effort. Keep up the good work guys!

Nov 1, 2017
are there any plans for threads to fill the width of the page without the dead space on each side?
is this a question that should not be asked or mentioned?...like Voldemort's name in Harry Potter...I've asked a few times and no one answers...a simple No would be fine if there are no plans to widen the width of the threads

Oct 25, 2017
is this a question that should not be asked or mentioned?...like Voldemort's name in Harry Potter...I've asked a few times and no one answers...a simple No would be fine if there are no plans to widen the width of the threads

If that button doesn't appear, your browser window isn't wide enough to trigger it.

There's currently a known issue where the state of this and whether or not the sidebar is hidden isn't saved across sessions, but it has been stated to be a priority to make these settings stick.

Nov 1, 2017

If that button doesn't appear, your browser window isn't wide enough to trigger it.

There's currently a known issue where the state of this and whether or not the sidebar is hidden isn't saved across sessions, but it has been stated to be a priority to make these settings stick.
thanks...I never saw that icon before...it actually works perfectly...exactly what I was looking for...but as you said the setting doesn't stick and I still need to click the 3 lines next to the ResetEra icon and click that 'toggle width' icon each time I restart my browser...it works if I click the 3 lines and browse to other sites and come back to ResetEra...but if I close my browser and re-open it then it doesn't stick...I'm using Edge...hopefully this bug gets fixed soon...

Nov 1, 2017
thanks...I never saw that icon before...it actually works perfectly...exactly what I was looking for...but as you said the setting doesn't stick and I still need to click the 3 lines next to the ResetEra icon and click that 'toggle width' icon each time I restart my browser...it works if I click the 3 lines and browse to other sites and come back to ResetEra...but if I close my browser and re-open it then it doesn't stick...I'm using Edge...hopefully this bug gets fixed soon...
it's now fixed!...yay!...both the Sidebar and 'Toggle Width' settings now stick even after restarting the browser...thanks ResetEra programmers!

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would it be possible to add the option of ignoring a thread without actually opening it? Or is there some button for it I'm not seeing??

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to have an archive of the information boxes we get when there's updates?

E.g. I wanted to add more than two people to a conversation. I vaguely remember a notification box previously that said we could and we just had to add an admin or message an admin to do so, but I might have imagined it.

Just a few features come and I forget the utility or what's been added.

Oct 25, 2017
I've found that pressing 1/4 are hotkeys to various parts of the site (the main page and trending, respectively), but I use windows key + 1 (where I have firefox in my taskbar) to open my browser a lot, which then makes me lose what thread I was in. Is there any way I can disable that?

Oct 27, 2017
I could have sworn they added a hide avatars feature but they've been back for a while and I can't seem to find a way to hide them again. I only see an option to hide them from the thread lists but not in threads themselves. Am I missing something?

Oct 25, 2017
I could have sworn they added a hide avatars feature but they've been back for a while and I can't seem to find a way to hide them again. I only see an option to hide them from the thread lists but not in threads themselves. Am I missing something?
No, the feature has not yet been implemented in 2.0.

Lucifonz

Senior Editor at Gaming LYF
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Anyone else having issues following Era links shared in Facebook Messenger on Android? Oneplus 6T / Android 9.0 here, "page can't load" error when clicking any links in the Messenger app. Happening to other folks I know with Android too.

Oct 27, 2017
If this is where we're requesting features, I'd like to see an icon on the thread list when a thread has threadmarks. Maybe have it so that selecting this icon calls up a drop-down menu for going directly to each threadmark? As it stands, I generally forget that threadmarks even exist, but they're actually a very useful feature.

Oct 26, 2017
Please change the color of the little pushpin icon for pinned threads. The red color is hard on the eyes, and it clashes with the Dark theme. Thanks.

Oct 26, 2017
Me, Dec 27th:
How do I set it so members I have on my ignore list don’t show in threads at all? Before the update if I had someone on ignore they wouldn’t show up at all which was perfect. Now I see the ignored members with a message saying ‘You are ignoring content by this member’ and asking if I want to unblock them or see the post which no offense is super annoying and redundant. Now it’s like how the ignore feature worked on the old forum which always irritated me. I’ve checked preferences and it can’t find a setting to completely hide the person like before. I understand there are some people who want to be able to see the member even if they’re ignoring them so they have the option but for me personally it’s pointles, not seeing the ignore member at all in any given thread like before made everything feel so much more neat and organized. If the setting is no longer there can it be added back in at some point?
Would be nice to get an answer to this. Getting interrupted by ignored member alerts while reading through threads is really annoying. If I want to remove a member from my ignored list I’ll go into my settings and manage them, I don’t need a redundant visual reminder of members I’m ignoring while trying to enjoy a thread. I don’t mean to sound snappy and I realize there are some others who want to see the ignored member alerts but I don’t and it’d be great to be able to toggle them off.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish the thumbnails on the thread list pages were customisable instead of OP avatars. It adds nothing, while custom icons could make threads way more easily identifiable while browsing.

Jan 27, 2018
I don't know if this is the best place to post this type of feedback...

But I'm not a big fan of the change of naming of the video games section, from Video Games to Gaming, that happened this week.

I think that a lot of people in this forum, I'm one of these person, try to avoid any expression related with the gamer culture, gaming...

Because at the end, gamer or gaming, was tied to a toxic culture of harassment.

I know that a lot of people don't have problems with using the term gamer or gaming, they can even be progressive persons. I respect a lot to these persons, and I don't have problems with them calling themselves gamers, or talking about gaming.

But I think that the previous name of Video Games was more inclusive, by not making uncomfortable to a group of users.

Okay, I can live with this. I will not stop using the forum because this.

I respect to the other people who are fine with the new name.

But at the same time, I'm disappointed of seeing implemented a change like this, without asking to the community.

But I suppose that nobody is perfect.

Oct 25, 2017
is it possible to add a hide thread button without having to enter the thread and ignore it?
I'd love to have this option as well - some way to check mark threads from the list and choose "ignore" without even having to see the [inevitably ridiculous] OP at all.

Oct 26, 2017
I hope I'm not posting in the wrong place, but I would like to request a feature, if possible.

I'm requesting this possible feature to reduce the amount of posts breaking forum/thread rules:

There are always people not following the forum or even thread rules in announcement or Nintendo Direct threads (or any other fast moving thread, really). People get warned/banned, but the problem is that by the time a mod does that, the thread is already on another page and people don't really see why that user was warned/banned unless they go back and search. And thus... newbies, first time thread posters, and regulars just continue repeating the same mistake over and over on every new page.

So, my suggestion is to add somewhere on that thread, visible on every page; the last few users who got warned/banned and the reason why.

I know there are mod alerts now, which are very visible, but again, once the thread moves to a new page, it gets lost. And no one really clicks the "Staff posts" link unless they specifically want to read it. Only a few users actually remind people to follow the rules, but usually they get called out and treated as anti-social.

So, maybe on top of every page there could be a permanent box that shows the warned/banned users, or maybe the staff warning?

Oct 25, 2017
Can page selection functionality be added to the mobile version?

Currently you can only go one page forward or to the end of a thread.