• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

ResetEra 2.0 New Features Guide

Oct 26, 2017
Also the mobile version is a jumbled mess, and a massive step back in terms of usability. Too many redundant elements on-screen at once.
Yep, trying to browse/post using my Note 8 is an exercise in futility.

It's leaning way to much into the style over function category.

Dec 12, 2017
Is there no way to ignore a thread from the thread list without having to load into the thread in question?

Also what is the point of the quick jump drop down when it takes the same amount of clicks to switch forums as using the sidebar?

Oct 25, 2017
This is really super annoying. It's pointless to have a small profile picture of yourself in every thread youve posted on. It just creates a jarring contrast and the worst is that it also does it on your own threads, which is even more pointless.

Dec 24, 2017
This is probably a dumb question, is there any way to get rid of all the space on the sides? Especially on a widescreen monitor it's just way too much.

Oct 25, 2017
Similar threads could be a little "smarter" in regards to finding threads with the same content. Right now it's just looking for threads with one or two of the same words in the thread title which may or may not be relevant. Example, this thread is discussing forum features, but in the similar threads there are just a bunch of threads that just mention the word "ResetEra" in the title, so threads like "How does Resetera feel about Love Actually as a Holiday Movie?" are in the list. Maybe also looking at words in the OP would make it more useful for finding threads with similar subjects.

Oct 25, 2017
Love the ignore thread function.

Question. How do I️ disable images and avatars? Gotta make it look as bland as possible for when I’m at work

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, now I have to make two clicks to get to a new part of the forum instead of having all four available at the bottom of the screen on mobile. What a bummer.

Oct 25, 2017
Loving the new features and the readability on mobile. I’ll agree that once the page jump is added back, it will be virtually perfect for me.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Hmmm. Don't like the big "Reply" card at the top of a thread. Such a waste of space and just feels like a big advert or something. I need to scroll to start reading the actual posts. I enabled the Top/Bottom arrows but the bottom one now just takes you to the very bottom of the page which is waaaayyy past the last post because we've now got that unnecessary "similar threads" feature. Just feels like more stuff you get on other website desperate for you to click on related content which I'm betting 99.9% of the time I'm not going to do.

The worst thing is having to click the sidebar to be able to jump around. Before I was constantly jumping from Videogames to Etcetera using the links that were there at the top and bottom of every page. Now its in a silly menu at the far top left of my screen, the worst place on mobile to reach, and it's a two stage process rather than tapping a link that was always visible. That's just a backward step in the name of feeling modern I think. The forum is simple enough that we don't need hamburger menus and making simple forum navigation now a two step process. I can guarantee it will mean I jump around the site and generally interact with it less.

The old style of forum (and I used classic dark theme with the nicer purple) still felt modern and much more user friendly to me, I don't see the need for this. Couldn't the one nice feature, ignore thread, not have been tacked on to the old site?

Anyway all my criticisms are about mobile Era, I never use desktop so can't comment on how that may be different. Mobile is where it's at for me and this feels like a step back.

Oh although finally it seems like typing comments on mobile via Android ISN'T totally fucked like it was before as this has all been typed out without issue. So I guess there's that! :)

I'm also missing the thread page links where you could easily go to the last or first page or a handful of pages either end. Now have to tap and manually enter the page number I want. Why no button to skip to the first and last pages? Everything is so user unfriendly.
Oh AND if I have a notification I have to go to the hamburger menu then click another button to see notifications.. before it was too right of the page. One click and I saw my notifications. Christ everything I used to do on this site is now at least an extra infuriating click away. The old site worked perfectly besides a terrible messed up text entry bug. This is awful and fiddly. Not enjoyable to use when you had it perfected before.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This is really super annoying. It's pointless to have a small profile picture of yourself in every thread youve posted on. It just creates a jarring contrast and the worst is that it also does it on your own threads, which is even more pointless.

Yeah, came here in part to mention this is an ugly thing. Not a fan of having the avatars by the threads in the first place but maybe I could get used to that but this will always be ugly, I think. At least I don't post in most threads so I don't have to see it much. (Honestly, I don't think you want to aesthetically discourage people from posting though :P)

In general, the new design somehow manages to simultaneously look like it wants to be sleek and be super cluttered with all the side bar options, extra headers and footers, etc. It'd be better if some of this stuff went away imo. Like the Era Clear advert. Or like the colored banners for the various sections.

Also just looking at this thread, it is weird to me that the posts are separated from the avatars, making the latter come across as a sidebar rather than integrally connected to the posts. Honestly, it is making scrolling through the thread feel strange and floaty if that makes any sense. The curved edges probably aren't helping me either. Nor is the swathe of extra material at the bottom and top of the page.
Generally, the forum looks worse imo.

Haven't played around with the navigation yet, but I didn't like Night/Day Era navigation at all and it seems that has been imported? It made no sense to me.

Looking forward to the bookmark feature, that seems nice!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah looking at it more, the avatars next to thread thing really assaults the eyes with small little patches of color, some of which is quite bright.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way for us to filter out threads based on words in the title so that they aren't shown? I can't find that anywhere.

I love it. Thank dog we can't like posts.
Ambient80 likes this post.

+1 refresh button at the bottom of threads, dear rulers of these lands
You know, I hate to say it but the best implementation I saw of this was back on GAF. The mobile version didn't even seem to reload the entire page, jut load in any new replies at the bottom when you hit the refresh button. It was quite nice. So much so that when we were all back there, I used a browser extension that forced the mobile view because it made it a much nicer browsing experience.

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Clicking on a thread title should take you to the beginning of a thread. Can we bring back the "go to first unread" button next to the thread title please? It's awkward otherwise to have to click the title then click on something else to get to the OP.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick jump is a simple but godly addition.
However when browsing using desktop I feel like the forum posts are centre right with avatars taking a huge space on the left.

So I feel like I'm looking at 3/4 of my desktop to the right when reading posts.
Is there a way to get around this and make avatars smaller?

Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan of the 2.0 update. One thing that made old GAF and ERA 1.0 work so well is the website got out of the way of conversation. Now on desktop and mobile I'm surrounded by buttons and gadgets I'll never use. If there was a way to disable all the clutter and allow me full screen on desktop that would be cool. :)

Oct 27, 2017
Linvak Tukal
Unfortunately the tools we used to implement that feature previously are not compatible with the new software and we have not been able to identify a suitable replacement at this time.

Recreating that feature is going to be a very high priority going forward.
This is personally a super important feature so I don't have to load the absolutely gigantic gifs people like to post everywhere.

Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike this new look, layout and functionality. This change was made to add new features, yet had to remove features to be on this platform? Confused.

Since gaf recently updated similarly, are we just constantly trying to beat them or what?

Feb 27, 2018
Is it possible to get is of the side bar? It takes up a large amount of screen space while doing little. It's also completely redundant because everything on the side-bar is accessible via the top bar. Quite frankily, I think the new layout is a bit hideous....

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Another feature to bring back is to highlight with a different color the threads that you've created. Makes it easier to distinguish then in a long watched list.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I've only tried mobile so far but like the beta, navigation seems like a massive step back. I preferred the icon based approach to switch between menus compared to the quick menu, which takes up reading room, takes more time and would be even worse for anyone that's using the site on a smaller phone. There should at least be an option to disable it or only have it at the top of a page. With the order of the links, Watched should be higher because Trending threads is meaningless and doesn't actually matter.

There should be a way to jump to the top of the last page rather than the most recent post when opening a thread as well. Displaying the page numbers was a fine way to do it before. Sometimes I know that I want to read the previous posts so it saves time from scrolling up.

I generally like the design. but it feels like no-one spent time thinking about making navigation smooth, even if I'm sure you did.

Oct 25, 2017
Good Changes related to xenforo 2.0. I'm sure you are working hard and this is the first step.
I must say the profile picture in threads give the attention to the thread creator instead the content. If theres a picture, should be the related to the content otherwise is confusing.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Are there any examples of thread covers? Noticed a screenshot of the OP on the first page appeared to show a video embed demonstrating the feature but currently can't see any such embeds nor in quoting the post.

Oct 25, 2017
Some solid changes all around, but for mobile browsing there absolutely needs to be a refresh button at the bottom of the thread. That makes a huge difference in ease of use on mobile.

Appreciate the work the team puts in.

Oct 26, 2017
Could we change the marker for "you've posted in this thread"? Just a small version of our avatar next to the avatar of the OP looks ugly. Just a red or green dot would look better I think.

Mar 8, 2018
Glad I can ignore topics from showing up in my feed, at least that way I don’t feel compelled to comment on them if I don’t see them.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm searching for a quicker way to go from one forum to a Hangout no direct link anywhere, i have to click on 'videogames' first to go to the Hangouts? Thiz is an extra click that wzsnt there in the past sadly