• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

ResetEra 2.0 New Features Guide

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
A few things on mobile:
I want the links to the other forums at the bottom of my screen back.
I want the refresh button back.
I want my user preferences for the navigation buttons to actually work (I've tried to enable a dozen times with no success).
I want my posts to be easier to see.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks very nice, but I just wish there was a way to disable "Similar threads" and a way to get the refresh back. The mobile experience is not as friendly as it used to be.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this:
is a big waste of space, considering the somewhat annoying repetition of having to click on Quick Jump to switch between forums, especially for people like me who switch around a lot.

The thing is, there's plenty of space there to have the Video Games, VG Hangouts, Off-Topic, Off-Topic Hangouts, and Watched Threads buttons, and still have search there (Trending could go into the menu button).

See here, just demonstrating that there's ample space:

Oct 27, 2017
This forum update reminds me of Windows Vista. A lot of effort went into the development but a downgrade from XP in a lot of substantial ways. Seems like the focus in 2.0 was the pursuit of unnecessary features that miss the core point of a forum. Speed, cleanliness, and ease of use. Looking through this thread has given plenty of good examples on ways this update could improve. I'm hoping for a Windows 7 revival at some point in the near future.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I really, really hate how clicking the thread title brings you to the first unread post, with the expected behavior (that is, bringing you to the first post of a thread) being relegated to a specific button. This is so backwards from how every other forum I've ever used on the Internet behaves - everywhere else, clicking the thread title brings you to post #1, and going to the first unread post of a thread is what gets the dedicated button.

This was the case with the last site redesign as well, and I hated it then, too. At least then I could use the old theme, which had things wired up the way I like them; I don't get that option now. Why are you doing this so differently?

Oct 25, 2017
I really, really hate how clicking the thread title brings you to the first unread post, with the expected behavior (that is, bringing you to the first post of a thread) being relegated to a specific button. This is so backwards from how every other forum I've ever used on the Internet behaves - everywhere else, clicking the thread title brings you to post #1, and going to the first unread post of a thread is what gets the dedicated button.

This was the case with the last site redesign as well, and I hated it then, too. At least then I could use the old theme, which had things wired up the way I like them; I don't get that option now. Why are you doing this so differently?
Because it makes by far the most sense, economically. The most used navigation function is the "Latest Unread" one, therefore making it the largest clickable target makes sense. Comparatively, going to a thread's OP is the rarer behavior — especially now with threadmarks ensuring staff posts are seen.

Also, that order of events is backwards. Era began with the functionality as it is now, until it was changed in an update to the one you prefer, then the introduction of the Day/Night themes allowed the option again since it was so highly requested.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh weird.. I don't remember reading about this before the change, but your avatar shows up on the bottom right corner of the OP's avatar on the main forum page if you've posted in the thread. That's kind of interesting.

Oct 26, 2017
Because it makes by far the most sense, economically. The most used navigation function is the "Latest Unread" one, therefore making it the largest clickable target makes sense. Comparatively, going to a thread's OP is the rarer behavior — especially now with threadmarks ensuring staff posts are seen.

Also, that order of events is backwards. Era began with the functionality as it is now, until it was changed in an update to the one you prefer, then the introduction of the Day/Night themes allowed the option again since it was so highly requested.
I disagree heavily that it makes the most sense, though - what does make the most sense to me is making the behavior consistent with every other forum I've ever used. Anything else is only going to mess with my forum-using muscle memory to no end, which I find a way, way more pressing matter than economical use of space (which, honestly, the new design isn't making the best use of anyway, with the giant box for thread titles at the top of every page and half the width of my screen going entirely unused...). I'd really like some sort of toggle to swap it to what I'm used to, whether that's an alternate theme (I mean, I guess that's doable, given it was tied to theme prior to the revamp?) or just a checkbox in the User Settings.

As for paragraph #2, I can only speak for my own experience, which was the behavior being as I described it when I got in, a few days after launch. I don't see any reason not to take your word that the site started off with this behavior, but I don't recall running into it prior to the first redesign prior to 2.0. (Which, honestly, makes me wonder what designation that redesign had. 1.1?)

Oh, and not in relation to anything in the quoted post above, but while typing up these two prior posts, I keep running into a bug where if I bold or italicize a word with Ctrl-B/I, then close off the formatting with the same shortcut and hit the spacebar to move onto the next word, the formatting re-opens for no apparent reason. Like, when I italicized the word "italicize" in this very paragraph (though curiously not for "bold"), the little I on the bar at the top clearly turned off, but turned itself back on when I hit spacebar, and then my next word was italicized too when it shouldn't have been.

Nov 16, 2017
On the old forum no matter where I clicked on a thread on the main page - the user, the title, it took me to the last post I read. I really liked that feature, meant I didn't have to be too precise when seeing something I wanted to catch up on. On mobile, obviously. Can you enable something similar here?

+1 for hide avatars, I won't read forums at work without it.

Oct 25, 2017
On the old forum no matter where I clicked on a thread on the main page - the user, the title, it took me to the last post I read. I really liked that feature, meant I didn't have to be too precise when seeing something I wanted to catch up on. On mobile, obviously. Can you enable something similar here?

+1 for hide avatars, I won't read forums at work without it.
Clicking on thread titles takes you to the latest unread post. That's the biggest clickable target available. If you somehow miss, just click "Jump to New."

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I know you guys worked hard on this. I appreciate what you were trying to do. This is about the most "2.0 redesign" I can imagine. Critical functionality is either missing or hidden (Mobile jump buttons, refresh). Tons of dead space and big icons like Windows Mobile on desktop or something. Overall very unattractive and harder to navigate, in my opinion.

I mean no disrespect, I just wanted to share my concerns. Thank you, and I likely will upgrade my Era account but as of right now it's just a dead link.

EDIT- You can enable jump arrows in preferences!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

I hate this, too. Even worse, it's not consistent. Sometimes clicking on the title of a thread I've looked at (and even posted in today) will bring me to the first post. Sometimes clicking on the title of a thread I've never seen before (only going into it to ignore it) will bring me to a random page.

I really liked how it used to be: Click on the title to go to the first post, or click on the little bookmark icon just to the left of the title to go to the last unread post.

Nov 3, 2017
Some of the upgrades are good but I find the site a lot less intuitive than before. Some of the things that took one click now take two or more, and so on.

Another example is that the jump to last page button is right under the first page one on the mobile site. On a small screen it's too easy to hit the wrong one (which I did on my first try)

I'd rather have function over form.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Similar threads needs to go. It's appalling. One of the worst design decisions yet. I can't actually believe you had people test this site on mobile and walked away thinking that placement was a good idea. The footer is horrendous too. How did either of those pass even the basic QA.

There's been two full redesigns in little over a year and it still doesn't seem like anyone running this site has learned to prioritise user experience over "fancy" features.

Oct 27, 2017
Similar threads needs to go. It's appalling. One of the worst design decisions yet. I can't actually believe you had people test this site on mobile and walked away thinking that placement was a good idea. The footer is horrendous too. How did either of those pass even the basic QA.

There's been two full redesigns in little over a year and it still doesn't seem like anyone running this site has learned to prioritise user experience over "fancy" features.
Yeah, being able to embed a thousand random sites and having animated backgrounds is a cool technical feat but ultimately a waste of energy. The real focus needs to be on the user experience and it seems they have dropped the ball on that front.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, being able to embed a thousand random sites and having animated backgrounds is a cool technical feat but ultimately a waste of energy. The real focus needs to be on the user experience and it seems they have dropped the ball on that front.
It's not even a cool technical feat. It's basic Xenforo. I've been using forums with those options for a couple of years now.

Oct 25, 2017
Site is just worse on mobile. I need text scaling. It worked on the old design by using accessibility settings in Chrome and increase text size. Now it does nothing.

The quick buttons on mobile are gone. Now it takes a lot longer to navigate the site.

Silimar threads is just bad and makes scrolling take longer. Nothing I will ever use. Please let us remove it.

You can no longer go back a few pages in a thread?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Please let me hide avatars on the main pages. I cant stand that.

Also, why did you guys bring back being able to see "ignored" posts? I loved how putting people on ignore effectively eliminated them from your view and you didnt even see that they posted at all unless you went out of your way.

Oct 25, 2017
While the new site is cool, i wish the ignore thread feature was better. It makes no sense to click a topic first to ignore instead of just being able to ignore it from the forum. Also it would be nice to ignore with keywords.