• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Bad taste like every year on the winner. No Dororo or Babylon makes no sense. My late list.

1. Vinland Saga
2. Attack on Titan
3. Dororo
4. Carole & Tuesday
5. Blade of the Inmortal
6. Mob Psycho 100 II
7. Babylon
8. Kimetsu no Yaiba
9. Kakegurui XX
10. Fire Force

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
There's not much here that I like, but I don't think last year was a very good year for anime anyway. I'm glad to see Machikado and Dumbell though. I would say the biggest things that aren't there are Honzuki, (come on it's awesome!) Chihayafuru, and Kanata no Astra.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Attack on Titan was my number 1 and Vinland Saga was my two.

Kaguya being number one here is very expected tho lol

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
3 of the anime I voted were not in the top 10, which is pretty reasonable. I would change some positions, good list overall tho.

(My vote -> Result position)
1 -> 1 (Kaguya-sama: Love is War)
2 -> 6 (BEASTARS)
3 -> 2 (Mob Psycho 100 II)
4 -> 5 (Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba)
5 -> 3 (Vinland Saga)
6 -> 8 (The Promised Neverland)
7 -> 21 (Ascendance of a Bookworm)
8 -> 36 (Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu)
9 ->15 (Fruits Basket (2019))
10 -> 7 (Sarazanmai)

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
AnimeERA has fantastic taste Vinland and AOT are top tier. In a couple weeks I am going to try watching Kaguya-Sama again.

Oct 25, 2017
Given deserved more love, preferred it over Sarazanmai tbh.

Rising of the Shield Hero was robbed just as Master Naofumi was for most of its run. Unfair.

Videos/Ovas list is great. Promare ftw, same for Fate/Stay

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only person that didn't really care for Promare? Would have made for a dope music video rather than a long ass movie.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Only two votes for Wasteful Days of High School Girls?

More like ResetEra wasted all their days on worse anime* for a year.

*Excluding any shows I watched

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Am I the only person that didn't really care for Promare? Would have made for a dope music video rather than a long ass movie.
Rest assured, you're not.
---------
  • Bit surprised Sarazan made it so high, the actual quality of the show nowithstanding, it didn't strike me as something with a broad enough audience.
  • Wow, someone else actually voted for Hulaing babies.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Never thought I'd see the day I was in anime of the year excerpts, well what can I say? it was a really fun year of shows for me.

I'm ready for Beastars to break outta the jail anytime now...

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I agree with you. Show is funny and well directed/acted.....but like that's all it is. Eh, this is probably just a result of overall visibility of the show.
I mean, those are all really great points in its favour. I don't see how you can say, "that's all it has" when that's actually very good.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I mean, those are all really great points in its favour. I don't see how you can say, "that's all it has" when that's actually very good.

I think I need my shows to say something interesting to put them in this list. Kaguya is a great comedy....but like that's all it has to say? Sarazanmai is tackling something interesting, Run With the Wind is an excellent written show that we don't usually get in animation, Stars Align (for what it's worth) tackled abuse and LGBT issues. Kaguya is just a funny show, but there's lots of funny shows.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
Found it to be a total bore. Imaishi and Nakashima keep making the same kind of thing, but the energy they rely upon is just old and doesn't carry the emotional core of things the way it used to. Doesn't gel with the semi-synthwave aesthetic either, which is the only unique thing it's bringing to the table.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Kaguya sama first place, Mob Psycho II second place... good, there is hope after all. Surprised by the second half of the list though

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya at 1 is surprising and I'm disappointed that RWTW and Fruits Basket didnt rank higher.

Still, not a bad list. At least it wasnt awful like 2015 when people foolishly picked OPM over Shirobako.

O Maidens is the biggest snub. Although, that seems to be the case everywhere.

I dont think many people even knew about it. I only caught it a few weeks ago.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kaguya at 1 is surprising and I'm disappointed that RWTW and Fruits Basket didnt rank higher.

Still, not a bad list. At least it wasnt awful like 2015 when people foolishly picked OPM over Shirobako.

I dont think many people even knew about it. I only caught it a few weeks ago.
Shirobalo would be fantastic if not for that obnoxious Mohawk dude, he fucking ruined the show for me

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Shirobalo would be fantastic if not for that obnoxious Mohawk dude, he fucking ruined the show for me

Taro, while frustrating, was necessary as he's a really common kind of obstacle every office worker has to overcome. He had a good arc as well.

The story is unconcluded where s1 stopped, in my opinion. Hard to rank it among others without knowing where its going.

I thought these two cours had solid development and closure to a few arcs. It doesnt make sense to only pick completed shows, otherwise stuff like Mob Psycho, Chihayafuru, Haikyuu, Attack on Titan, etc. would have no business being ranked either.

Oct 25, 2017
Taro, while frustrating, was necessary as he's a really common kind of obstacle every office worker has to overcome. He had a good arc as well.

I thought these two cours had solid development and closure to a few arcs. It doesnt make sense to only pick completed shows, otherwise stuff like Mob Psycho, Chihayafuru, Haikyuu, Attack on Titan, etc. would have no business being ranked either.
I guess I was unclear and never meant to imply that at all. I meant more if they completed arcs, Im still unsure where Yuki story is going, as well as all the stuff with the main house/family, and Kyo development seems like we only went halfway into whatever his outcome will be in the story, I assume???

Shingeki, and Haikyuu!! at least had some arcs with some conclusive ends (s3 hq for example in terms of their journey to get to nationals), shingeki for reclaim trost, a natural timeskip even indicating a change in goals/motivations for all characters, etc...

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
ceec283c5b2cc75c5d7222fd201a63fe.gif

Bocchi with her friends.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, no Fire Force? There was that one atrocious character but the rest of it is so incredible.

Aside from some nice animation at times what was noteworthy about it?
The character you're talking about causes accidental breast groping right in the middle of one of the most important and serious scenes and that's where I bowed out.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Aside from some nice animation at times what was noteworthy about it?
The character you're talking about causes accidental breast groping right in the middle of one of the most important and serious scenes and that's where I bowed out.
It had some standout characters in the form of Obi, Benimaru, and Giovani, just to name my favorites. It also had a fantastic soundtrack and sound direction.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I was unclear and never meant to imply that at all. I meant more if they completed arcs, Im still unsure where Yuki story is going, as well as all the stuff with the main house/family, and Kyo development seems like we only went halfway into whatever his outcome will be in the story, I assume???

Shingeki, and Haikyuu!! at least had some arcs with some conclusive ends (s3 hq for example in terms of their journey to get to nationals), shingeki for reclaim trost, a natural timeskip even indicating a change in goals/motivations for all characters, etc...

Thats fair. Its def harder to draw conclusions on slice of life shows since the "goal" isn't so straightforward. Still, I thought this first half did a great job developing the characters, ended some conflicts and teased some future ones.

ceec283c5b2cc75c5d7222fd201a63fe.gif

Bocchi with her friends.

Criminally underwatched. People are def missing out.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Oh nice, Run with the Wind managed to rank in top 10, I didn't expect it. Easily the best sport anime ever and one of the best anime of the last decade.

Also stealth best love story.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
forgot to check this. not exactly my order of shows and some were way lower, but I'm actually not surprised the hype surrounding Demon Slayer didnt translate to a bigger rating with the crowd around here and who is more dedicated to voting on these having more varied tastes and a wider selection than the person who might watch the big 3.

Not a bad list at all. Surprised to see Kaguya at #1 vs Mob Psycho which I was sure was going to win. I love the manga and the anime kicked ass, but I didnt think it would end up at #1.