• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Kaguya-sama: Love is War — A fantastic romantic comedy where the romance takes a backseat and even then through the comedy alone they manage to build the characters and their relationship. Plus it also have great animation, directing and it even brought us the Chika dance, which got stuck in my head for like a month or so.
  2. BEASTARS — Studio Orange does it again. After Land of the Lustrous, they show the industry again how to do good CG anime,
    while also having great directing and writing, elevating the great source into something even better.
  3. Mob Psycho 100 II — The first season was already amazing but they managed to make it even better. The amount of character development for both Mob and Reigen was astounding, where even the awesome fights is second to that when I think about this season.
  4. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba — One of the best shounen of the past years. Good cast of characters, especially the protagonist, nice world-building and great fights, all brought up by the incredible animation and directing.
  5. Vinland Saga — The writing alone makes this show shines, especially since this entire season is carried by Askeladd, and boy what a fantastic character he is.
  6. The Promised Neverland — Good stuff. There are some changes in the adaptation that are a bit iffy, but nothing that really takes you out. The atmosphere is fantastic, they really nailed the tension. And it also give us 2 amazing new Cö shu Nie songs too.
  7. Ascendance of a Bookworm — Best isekai ever. Not only the premisse is pretty unique, they manage to make it quite interesting to watch too. Myne is a really good protagonist, and she makes the supporting cast really shine.
  8. Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu — Comfy show of the year. So cute and wholesome, and quite funny too. The entire cast is fantastic, especially Aru. MAKERU NA ARU! KAGAYAKE ARU!
  9. Fruits Basket (2019) — Really good drama, with a nice balance of SoL and comedy thrown in too. The second half especially really nailed all the emotional moments and gave focus to a lot of good characters. Unfortunately with the huge cast it has, not everyone is a winner, so there are episodes that are not that much interesting compared to how good rest of the show is.
  10. Sarazanmai — A great Ikuhara show that unfortunately doesn't reach the highs of Mawaru Pengindrum (and probably Utena), but gets close. Pacing could've been better, felt that things sped up too much near the end, but otherwise, great all around.
Honorable Mentions (no order):
  • Zoku Owarimonogatari — A great "epilogue", tying some loose ends, and the mirror world premise was really fun in general.
  • Boogiepop and Others — Pretty nice stuff. Amazing soundtrack. Art and pacing could've been better tho.
  • Teasing Master Takagi-san Season 2 — Great sequel, with Takagi taking even more of the initiative making for some great moments.
  • The Demon Girl Next Door — Nice balance of SoL and comedy, quite funny and a great cast of characters.
  • High Score Girl II — Good ending to a good show. Lots of character development make this season a lot more entertaining than the first. Hidaka deserved better tho (especially deserved not having her hair cut, worst trope ever)
  • Fire Force — The show gets bogged down by stupid fanservice, a mostly bland cast and some weird pacing. But damn if the art and animation isn't great. I'm also a sucker for the weird SHAFT-like directing.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Anime TV Series

bx107068-gWE5CFzL1xFb.png

1. Teasing Master Takagi-san Season 02 - Probably the most underrated anime of the year, this show is such a sweet surprise. It conjures up such strong emotions and memories from childhood with such a simple premise of a girl teasing the boy she likes. Not only that, the show does a great job with its supporting characters that keep things fun throughout. It somehow manages to dodge repetition of its gags with beautiful displays of innocence and childish deviousness and wraps up the whole thing with a diabetes-inducing, cherry on top ending.

bx101281-s1UoXUaYXhxn.jpg

2. Carole & Tuesday - A beautiful futuristic show about two budding musicians directed by Shinichiro Watanabe the master. While it had a very strong first half, with plenty of cute and hilarious moments, the second half was a little bit messier with its plot but still delivered on fantastic music and a wonderful relationship between the two leads. The use of real-world brands and references to pop culture were fun and unique as well. I think its a prime example of accessible anime that anyone can enjoy and should always be on your recommendation list. If you ever needed an anime to cheer you up, this is the one. The soundtrack is still stuck in my head.

bx101215-O9BzSTAOsS5y.jpg

3. Chihayafuru Season 03 - Back after 6 years, one of my top ever anime delivered another great half season. Despite being set in the middle of a lot of tournaments which affected its pacing and character development a little bit, the show delivers on its heart pounding, adrenaline pumping card games with an incredible soundtrack behind it. Despite the pacing, we still got some important growth from the karuta-crazed lead, Chihaya and even a window into Arata's hopes and dreams while Taichi finally starts taking the sport seriously. It also touched on some subjects that almost never get talked about in anime like the pains of old age and the struggles of a young mother who wants to return to the sport.

bx101348-NrnGlz0NsJuG.jpg

4. Vinland Saga - A fantastic action series set during the times of Vikings, Danish expansion, and the rise of England. Probably the most consistent action show this season for me in what it attempted to do. What sets it apart from the other action series (outside of SnK which I don't like but will begrudgingly accept it isn't a disaster writing-wise even though the author is an Imperialist) is that it actually attempts to give us complicated characters and plot lines and delivers on it almost every episode.

kaguya-sama-love-is-war.jpg

5. Kaguya-Sama: Love is War - A great comedy with some really interesting direction giving us an eclectic first season and probably my favorite voice performances of the year. Although the comedy is really hit or miss with me, that didn't keep the show from providing some great mind games between the leads with some nice heartfelt moments woven in.

bx108581-DNnz0Ou8qcIf.jpg

6. High Score Girl II - Not quite as good as the first season and the gags started to get repetitive but the overall nostalgia this produced was too strong to leave the show out and it even managed to somehow not ignore sexuality (which a lot of shows manage to do and instead just tack on fanservice) and give us some really natural moments between the characters. A great finish for a show set in the 90s about arcade fighting games and love.

nx101347-2J2p8qJpxpfZ.jpg

7. Dororo - An adaptation of a series from the 60s was never going to be easy but the show grew as it went a long and the action and animation combined with the brutality of that world gave us a strong anime by the end. Osamu Tezuka really knew how to tug at ones' heartstrings and this show was a difficult watch at times.

nx101759-ONAwIKCFiNtE.jpg

8. The Promised Neverland - A great manga with a bone-chilling concept that admittedly has had some issues with its most recent chapters in keeping things engaging and interesting. The anime adaptation of this series drops the ball in a number of ways in the strongest parts of the manga which is a shame but for someone completely fresh to the series it still provides an engrossing mystery.

bx107660-s92uu0mn2NFl.png

9. Beastars - An excellent showing of proper CGI from that studio that brought us Land of the Lustrous. The story itself is a rather run-of-the-mill coming of age high school story with a twist of Zootopia that feels like it could have been cut in half in the amount of episodes but the imagery and concept was enough to get it on the list. Think of it like a furry Riverdale.

Anime Movie/OVA Series

bx21718-Hjj26Sapx1bd.jpg

1. Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel II. Lost Butterfly - The only Anime film from this year that I have watched and easily good enough to be put on a list like this. The continuation of the longest and darkest route of the famous visual novel that has spawned many a spin-off. Yuki Kajiura's soundtrack is always amazing. I personally am not the biggest fan of this route but Ufotable has produced some insane visuals with this one and Sakura's struggles and Shirou's corruption, so to speak, make this a worthwhile watch.​

Honorable Mentions

Mob Psycho II - Despite the incredible animation this season, the show continues to fall completely flat for me and Mob and his supporting cast (outside of Reigen) are incredibly dull.

Sarazanmai - Fantastical animation and direction but too weird even for me and I preferred Ikuhara's past works like Utena and Penguindrum.

Fruits Basket 2019 - A remake of a very popular shoujo series from the early 00s that provides a much more accurate adaptation this time around with more consistent animation. Unfortunately I was never a big fan and the writing is very stereotypical of the genre even for its age but it still tells a compelling story.

Demon Slayer - Another incredibly animated show from Ufotable that unfortunately wasn't able to overcome the glacial pacing and poor writing of its source material. Its a factory made Jump series with some really snazzy character designs so if you somehow still haven't grown out of that sort of thing then this is the anime for you.

Fate/Grand Order Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia - Starting to see a trend with these really well animated shows that are either dull in its writing or just plain bad. Adapting a gacha visual novel spin-off couldn't have been easy and it shows with how poor the pacing was in this show and how nonsensical it must be for people new to the franchise. The MC is as dull as they get and they really had an opportunity to give him a more interesting character but went the way of the generic blank slate so people can self-insert and enjoy their waifus. Shirou gets a lot of flack but he was far and away a much more interesting character and hell even Waver from the lame Sherlock spin-off was more interesting as well.

Golden Turd Award

The Rising of the Shield Hero - Misogyny, slavery, overt fanservice, borderline pedophilia, poor CGI, another shining example of garbage Isekai.

Last edited:

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Demon Girl Next Door - Really makes you think what you would do if one morning you just woke up as a demon whose born duty and destiny to slaughter magical girls.
  2. Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise - Would you sacrifice your game time just to defend some cute furries without even knowing what loot you might stand to gain from this ordeal? I wouldn't.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Sadly, I fell off anime pretty hard this year so I didn't watch as many as I used to, but the ones I did, I really liked. For the most part anyways.

1. Kaguya-sama: Love Is War - The best possible adaptation to one of the best ongoing manga right now. They got everything right, even the OP.
  2. High Score Girl II - after living in a world that has made me grow jaded from nostalgia bombardment as Disney desperately tries to milk ever single one of my childhood memories, this is a genuine attempt at revering the days of old without going too far, never expected to like it due to 3D anime being weird, but I ended up adoring it.
  3. Mob Psycho II - weaker than the first season but still amazing.
  4. Carole & Tuesday - we don't deserve this series.
  5. Vinland Saga - flashy, beautiful animation but tonally inconsistent.
  6. Zoku Owarimonogatari - I struggled to watch this because of how much Monogatari means to me. I know the books continue in endless Epilogues, but to me this was closure.
  7. My Roommate Is A Cat - sounds whacky, but it tackles on depression and social anxiety in clever ways, it was enjoyable.
  8. Takagi-san S2 - lovely sequel to a blessed manga. Hoping the mangaka's other works get adapted as well, I have grown to like Shogi senpai more than this one
  9. Cop Craft - for some reason I liked it, I still don't know why
  10. Psycho Pass 3 - it was okay, I guess.
Movies:
  1. Weathering With You
  2. Promare - there is a huge gap between these two, like an absolute chasm. But I didnt watch many anime films this year, sadly
As a side note, I watched Birthday Wonderland expecting to adore it... and I fucking hated it. I also watched a bit of Dororo but I lost interest fast. I devoured The Promised Neverland's manga in one sitting so I can't say I was able to muster the courage to watch the anime. The latter half of the manga was so edgy, action-oriented and bad, I simply couldn't ignore it

YyDuvzN.jpg

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I didn't watch much anime last year, and I still have some shows on my watchlist. But here goes:
  1. Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin – It's a Gundam show, and it's starring Char, what else to be said? Oh, I also love the artstyle and animation is top notch.
  2. Vinland Saga
  3. Dororo
  4. Astra: Lost in Space
  5. My Roommate is a Cat
  6. Mix: Meisei Story
  7. Sword Art Online: Alicization

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Bungou Stray Dogs S3 - The first half and especially the prequel arc is some of finest Bungou ever. Moody intrigue and mystery, decent action, some standout comedy, Igarashi handles it all impeccably as always. While the rest doesn't quite live up to it, it's still decent enough and in this barren year, that's enough.
  2. Kaguya-sama: Love Is War - I confess that being familiar with the source material, I can't quite judge it as I would any other show. But the strength and ingenuity of this adaptation is clear to see even as it navigates some of the weaker chapters.
  3. Lord El-Melloi II Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note - This is a really weird case. A show rich in promise and unique premise that bungles most of what it sets out to achieve yet still ends up being decent. I don't really think any of the detective stuff ends up particularly interesting, reliant as it is on copious amount of exposition and magic unfamiliar to the viewer, the Fate connection is both a boon and a curse and Gray is almost as much a mystery at the end as she was the beginning but there is just enough of worth in there, propped up by the good production values to get to this spot.
  4. Kakegurui S2 - I actually thought this was an improvement over the first season, with more interesting mind&card games and resolutions to them but the ending arc is just dire and really drags the rest.
  5. Hulaing Babies - Teekyu lives ! Now in notHawaii/Okinawa and with even less animation !
  6. Kimetsu no Yaiba - This a really good adaptation, though not bereft of some usual manga-->anime transition problems ... of a really mediocre or weak source material.
  7. Aggresive Retsuko S2

Movies:
  1. Cencoroll 2 - Literally 10 years of anticipation. A good follow up that builds on the strengths of its predecessor while expanding the universe and enhancing the production values.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Symphogear XV - Symphogear as a series has always been "good" in that it has always been fun to watch while narrative and animation quality flummoxed about. In the fifth and final(?) season, Symphogear manages to strike the perfect balance for shows of this nature - well animated, extremely fulfilling to long time fans, some of the best cliffhangers of all time. The only real issue is they still won't commit to a fully lesbian ending and seal it with a kiss, even though everyone knows and there is no alternative.
  2. Beastars - While not as transcendentally good as Land of the Lustrous, Orange shows they are no one trick pony by absolutely nailing the bizarre aesthetics and tone of Beastars with CGI so slick you'll wish most shows would look half as good as this does on average.
  3. Kaguya-Sama: Love is War - An ideal adaptation. Great voice work, the style of the director Hatekayama, and that one ascendant Fujiwara ED.
  4. Mob Psycho 100 II - Undeniably weaker then the standout first season, both due to an expectation of quality and source material, Mob still manages to shine more often then not and is more then watchable.
  5. How Many Kilos are the Dumbells that you Lift? - Sometimes you get that smut that is very high quality, and typically those are the best shows. This is a great argument to that.
  6. Vinland Saga - The camp of "anime that will never happen" is running out of material. Almost more surprising then the fact someone finally actually did this is the fact that its actually very good. Great, even.
  7. Sarazanmai - Every so often, Ikuni-sama will bless us by letting us see his new beautiful baby birthed from his skull like Athena. This ones about gay frogs and butt stuff and "otters". Kazuma Kiryu voices an evil otter.
  8. Kakegurui XX - While waiting for a new Fukumoto anime that is ABOUT GAMBLING (I liked Tonegawa just fine but they did 2cours of that for the first thing in a decade?) you can do no better then this weirdly appealing and erotic series about just fucking going for it.
  9. High-Score Girl II - Remains cool as a nostalgia trip for an era nobody here experienced. I like period pieces that aren't even that far back.
  10. One Piece - Pacing is still abominable but Wano is good. I don't feel like voting for Stampede because it was the only movie I saw so it can cheat its way in here.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I only watched two anime last year, but I will die to defend my #1.
  1. Sarazanmai – I'm a complete slut for anything by Kunihiko Ikuhara. As usual, he did not disappoint. Sarazanmai is surreal, full of twists, deeply emotional, and explores topics of gender and sexuality that often get glossed over in anime. KAWAUSOIYA!
  2. Carole & Tuesday – I don't want to speak poorly of an anime in an AotY thread, but I appreciated the light tone of the series paired with its serious themes. It also had an amazing finale that brought me to tears, and if an anime has that, then I can forgive all its sins.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Kaguya-Sama: Love is War - Great adaption of an adorable and very funny manga. Kaguya's voice actor did a fantastic job and this basically had the greatest ED this year.
  2. Mob Psycho 100 II - A bit uneven compared to the first season, but still exceptional, with better highs. While there were a couple of episodes dedicated to insane amounts of action, my favorite episodes are the more low key ones, like the first one and the Reigen arc, which embody what the series really is about.
  3. Granbelm - Such a ride. A great cast of characters, it's full of twists and has the most crazy character this year, I'll never forget Anna. A show that managed to out-Okada Okada's own work.
  4. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2 - After all those years, the basement's door is opened, and its secrets actually deliver, Attack on Titan's pay off was actually satisfying. This season was also much more action packed, with a few scenes that are probably the series' finest. All around, that was certainly the best season of AoT.
  5. Symphogear XV - Watch Symphogear.
  6. Beastars - This might not be Land of the Lustrous, but it was still very good. A lot of creativity on display, a cool and grim story and a very lovable wolf as the main character.
  7. Sarazanmai - While it certainly had a lot of great moments and was oozing Ikuhara's style, I think the ending left me kind of unsatisfied and I found it to be one of Ikuhara's weakest works. Still, a very worthwhile watch, dish.
  8. Kimetsu no Yaiba - Most of its first two thirds were kinda boring, but after the Forest arc, I feel that the show has been elevated to a very nice shounen, probably the best one of its kind the last few years. Ufotable's fantastic production certainly helps too.
  9. How Many Kilos are the Dumbells that you Lift? - OP of the year probably. Very entertaining and surprisingly educational, with a very fun cast.
  10. Vinland Saga - Quite uneven overall and I greatly disliked the main character, but Askeladd and Throkell really carried this show. The last few episodes were especially great.
Movies:

1. Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel II. lost butterfly - Such a great movie, Sakura's scenes were so good.
  2. Promare - Trigger saved anime again. Very stylish looking with bombastic action and very cool character dynamics between Lio and Galo.
  3. Zoku Owarimonogatari - It didn't have enough Hitagi, still great though. A good epilogue to all the fantastic Monogatari series.
  4. Cencoroll 2 - Cool action and some pretty cool monster designs.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Anime TV Series
  1. Wasteful Days of High School Girls - I liked it.
  2. Kaguya-sama: Love Is War - I liked it.
  3. Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu - I liked it.
  4. The Demon Girl Next Door - I liked it.
  5. Granbelm - I liked it.
  6. Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka - I liked it.
  7. The Promised Neverland - I liked it.
  8. Dr. Stone - I liked it.
  9. Endro~! - I liked it.
I like to highlight new shows, so I haven't included any continuations like Chihayafuru.

KQHGcTn.gif

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This might be one of the shortest lists I've ever populated for anime ratings. I could in theory go and populate the other 5 spots in my list with shows I watched and didnt completely hate, but the shows I listed here are those I absolutely loved so why rank shows I only watched due to being bored.

1. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - When I first saw the art style and the setting in trailers early on I wasn't particularly interested. But knowing it was Ufotable and seeing positive impressions of the manga I gave it a shot and yeah I absolutely love this and between the anime and manga it has jumped up to one of my favorite shonen actions ever. Episode 19 by itself is a goosebumps spectacle that left me on the verge of tears during that one particular sequence. Ufotable knocked it out of the park.
  2. Mob Psycho 100 II - I always heard from fans of the manga/web comic that season 2 would be where the most hype and best arcs would be in and they were not wrong. The show oozed style in every regard. It's been long enough since I saw it that it's tough to convey just how well done Mob's development is from start to finish, but I do not doubt in my mind his journey is among the most satisfying I have seen. The emotional scenes hit hard, the fight scenes were awesome what more can I ask for. Only reason it did not make it to #1 is because Demon Slayer essentially rocked the whole world.
  3. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - I don't think it would be a controversial statement to say that the Kaguya manga is among the best, if not the best, romantic comedy manga of all time. When the anime was announced I had my doubts on how well they'd be able to do the manga justice. On comedy manga you rely on the direction , pacing and voice acting so much that a failure of any of the could give your adaptation a negative point that ultimately puts it behind the source. I held Kaguya to such a high regard I did not think the adaptation could deliver. But honestly? Save for a VERY specific aspect of the manga the anime failed at (the more disturbing/horror faces during some scenes) it knocked it out of the park when it came to voice acting and delivery. Everybody had so much fun on every end of the production it showed.
  4. Vinland Saga - It's tough to review this season because it is honestly an amazing arc of anger and violence but knowing where the manga ends up heading towards, it is nowhere near my favorite part of Vinland Saga. I feel like anime adaptations tend to go one of 3 directions. Anime that do a 1:1 adaptation with amazing visuals and animation, Anime that do amazing adaptations that knock it out of the park even more than the manga, and bad adaptations that could be wrong due to the opposite of the previous two qualifiers of #1 and #2. Demon Slayer and Mob Psycho S2 are shows that elevated the source material in every regard where it'd be tough to recommend the manga over the anime. Vinland Saga on the other hand is just a really really solid adaptation of the prologue arc that is visually great but I do not know if i would necessarily say I would prefer it over the manga. This is clearly highly debatable but at least for me its primary positive is the visuals and the manga is already so incredibly drawn I can do either/or.
  5. Astra Lost in Space - Astra Lost in Space is not something I necessarily expect to see on many people's AOTY lists. Not because I do not think it deserves it, but because it just seems like a show that entirely relies on the plot over anything else and the plot is just a fairly general Sci fi story you could even see in a Western show. And normally when you get these shows that you could imagine it as a western tv series, I feel you are now comparing it to the entire spectrum of similar genre shows. Why watch X show because it's a solid sci fi show that happens to be an anime, when you can watch a better sci fi show in Y or Z type of deal. The animation and drawings were pretty and sharp, but I'd guess the source is the same I have not checked. The voice acting was fine. The music was ok, I do not necessarily remember it. Nothing I watched was bad, I enjoyed it all. As to the plot, it was fun enough with its mystery it kept me hooked. The twists were fun and honestly they caught me off guard not because it was mind blowing, it was just fun and unexpected. The cast of characters was varied and I definitely felt that by the end they grew closer. I think that besides the plot and cast, what elevated it for me is that I have a soft spot for space exploration and alien planets with unique biology. I love Interstellar as much as I do because of the really cool alien planets. Astra had enough fun with the alien biology/fauna/flora and varied planets it put a smile on my face. I wish more shows attempted space sci fi in this regard.

Honorable Mention
X. The Promised Neverland - I love the manga but I only watched the first few episodes to get my friends into the plot. They told me they loved it, but man for some reason I forgot to watch the anime to give my thoughts. By the time the voting poll closes I likely will not have finished it so I am out of luck. Still feel I will give it an honorable mention because the manga is fantastic and the first couple of episodes I watched were well done.

Last edited:

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2 - I wasn't a fan of seasons 1 and 2 of AoT, but Season 3 was a huge improvement that delivered on all aspects. The action was tense, well-animated and featured conflicts between characters that have been developed for a long time. Focusing the story away from Eren and onto the more interesting side characters worked incredibly well and the eventual revelation of the show's main mystery was much better than I expected.

I can't remember the last time I was this hooked on an anime - I think I watched the entirety of Season 3 in only a couple of days.

2. Mob Psycho 100 II - A fantastic followup, surpassing the already-incredible Season 1 in pretty much every aspect. Mob Psycho Season 2 features some of the best animation of the decade, as well as a couple of really well-directed and inventively-choreographed fight scenes. It also manages to build on the great characters from Season 1. Mob's journey of self-improvement is genuinely touching in a way I've never really seen in anime and it's the more quiet, character-focused moments that really make the show shine.

3. The Magnificent KOTOBUKI - I don't really know where to put the show. The first few episodes aren't any good: the action scenes are slow and boring, the story doesn't really go anywhere and the 3D animation for the characters never really looks right. The only thing that really kept me watching were some fun, off-beat characters (the kind that you would expect from the director/writer pair behind Shirobako) and the fact that I like WWII planes I guess.

But then the show slowly gets better. The story slowly picks up and the action scenes become more and more crazy and intense to the point where it eventually just turns into Ace Combat: The Anime. The last episode especially is an incredibly exhilarating action showpiece that truly shows just how good 3D animation can be in anime when done right.

What really made the show stand out for me was just how unexpected this transformation was. There was no source material and pretty much no-one watched the show (obviously, given the awful start) so the last few episodes came as an awesome surprise. I'm not sure I'd recommend this to most people due to how bad it is initially, but I had so much fun watching it that I have to put it highly on this list.

4. VINLAND SAGA - When I saw the trailers for this, I got the impressions that the show was just going to be a Viking bloodbath featuring an edgy kid dual wielding daggers. Thankfully, it's the complete opposite of that. There's some action in there (mostly pulled off really well), but most of the show is a slow, historical, character-focused drama. It pulls it off really well, mostly due to a spectacular lead character (not the edgy kid, who is thankfully sidelined for most of the show) and a number of shocking turns in the story.

5. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - A fantastic comedy anime. The premise seemed like it would get old quickly, but the show made a nice job of varying it up and consistently making me laugh. The few bits of character development were also quite sweet and the ending was phenomenal. I did feel like the show lost itself a bit during the middle though. Most of the jokes didn't really land for me and there was a particular pair of episodes that I found quite off-putting. Thankfully, the rest of the show was still very enjoyable.

6. BEASTARS - Another great 3D anime from Orange. The visuals are consistently outstanding and are matched by great direction, particularly in the action scenes which make good use of dynamic camera movements to make the action exciting. I wasn't really sold on the writing though. The show really likes constantly introducing plot threads that go absolutely nowhere and while the central romance between the two main characters is mostly done well ending it with a nonsensical action sequence and a needlessly over-the-top rape scene meant that it ended on a sour note. The worldbuilding is also kind of a complete mess so the show does fall apart a bit if you try to think about it too much.

7. kemurikusa. - This show is weird and I'm surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. The animation isn't any good and the first half is absolutely terrible, consisting of little else than the main characters slowly traveling through boring places and the main character constantly going "wow" at every single thing. Despite that, the show has a ton of charm, which somehow manages to make it bearable. The second half manages to improve things drastically, nicely building up its mysterious world and introducing some clever twists that explain some of the previous mysteries. The romance subplot between the main characters is also surprisingly well done, avoiding most of the awful tropes that often pervade anime romances.

So it's kind of like Kotobuki, except without all the amazing action in the later episodes. And also not as good.

8. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind - This felt like like the weakest JoJo part so far to me. But it's still JoJo, which means it still managed to deliver some exciting fights, even if the amount of over-the-top bullshit was a bit hard to swallow. I did like the cast more than the previous parts, and I enjoyed how unconventional the final part was.

9. The Promised Neverland - This show has a lot of good things going for it. The premise is fresh and intriguing, the main trio of characters are fun to follow and work really well together, and some of the twists later in the series are great. Unfortunately, there's also a lot of stuff that really drags it down. The show does a terrible job of creating a suitable horror atmosphere by constantly inserting terrible attempts at comedy, which means that the tone of the show is a complete mess. It's also rather uneven. It starts off strongly and the last couple of episodes are great but everything between that moves much to slowly to be enjoyable. The biggest weakness has to be the main villain though. I know that the show explains why she spends most of the show not caring about anything that's going on, but it still makes the central conflict lose most of its tension.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
1. Run With the Wind
Great cast of well rounded characters that undergo compelling development as they unify as a team to compete in a marathon. Show builds off itself incredibly well, leading to a final stretch of episodes that are emotional and an absolute joy.

2. Mob Psycho Season 2
The show is at its best when it is focused on Mob's growth through his day to day life and personal relationships. From a story perspective other portions of this season, while generally solid, aren't up to to that level. But, this is made up for with some of the best animated fights on TV around.

3. Kaguya: Love is War
Expertly crafted rom com shenanigans that is a nice mix of self aware and sincere.

4. Vinland Saga
Viking story that gets more engrossing and complex as it goes on. Even as a manga reader, the series had me hooked and looking forward to each episode week to week for the last third of its run. Hope we see a second season!

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Granblem - Biggest surprise of the year for me. First episode didn't impress me much and magical girls show have a high bar for me. This show surpassed it, from the ERNESTA screams, Anna's rage, to characters suffering from existential dread and crazy magic. This show had everything I wanted from a magical girl show. Also a massive fan of the character designs.
  2. Are You Lost? - I love a good educational survivalist story so when you add in anime girls you've got bait for me. Also the cheesecake moments helped as well
  3. Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front - Babylonia - I am a massive Fate fan so there's no way a Fate series isn't going to be on any top ten list I make. Not to mention is't one of the best sections of the mobile game.
  4. Lord El-Melloi II Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note - Effectively the same reasons as above, course it's not part of the mobile game but another Fate storyline I fell in love with. MORE SABERFACE
  5. Vinland Saga - Historical Dramas/Action shows like this are one of my favorite types of shows and the quality behind this show was amazing. From the story, the characters and the animation itself. Loved it.
  6. The Demon Girl Next Door - Best comedy of the year hands down, yet it had plenty of sweet moments between the main characters as well.
  7. Endoro~! -Yea it's a cute girls doing cute things while having cute adventures and I loved it to bits.
  8. How clumsy you are, Miss Ueno - Thirsty genius high school girl has no idea how to catch the attention of the boy she loves.
  9. The Magnificent Kotobuki - Was 100% in this for the CG air dogfight and dawn were they good. The rest of the show wasn't a looker but all moments that involved the WWII era planes in fights was amazing.
  10. Miru Tights - They understand tights.

Last edited:

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Anime TV Series
1. Skilled Teaser Takagi-san 2nd Season - My top 3 are kind of interchangeable and probably gives away my favourite genre. If you watched the first season you know exactly what you're getting here.
2. Kaguya-sama: Love is War- Everything about this just clicks together so nicely. Feels like there wasn;t a single joke that fell flat and great chemistry between all the characters.
3. Given - Carole and Tuesday must have had like 30 more songs in it compared to this but none of them had the raw, guttural emotion that the one in this stirred up.
4. Mob Pyscho 2 - Maybe disadvantaged in that its not super fresh in my mind but kind of same as takagi-san. If you watched the first season you know what you're in for.
5. Run with the Wind - I think the last strech of episodes really elavates this from good to great and leaves a bigger lasting impression than it would otherwise.
6. Sarazanmai- Ikuhara is incapable of making a bad show. The only thing knocking this down a bit is i honestly cant remember how it ends and im not sure if its my fault or the ending was just unmemorable. Like i can recall the first three quarters of the show just fine.
7. Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin - Advent of the Red Comet - Suffers a bit from prequel syndrome were you know whats gonna happen already but its hard to dislike anything with Char in it.
8. Vinland Saga - Just a very straightfoward, easy to digest and binge show.
9.JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind - The weakest jojo for me as i didn't care about most of the cast except Buccarati. Its still jojo though so still very stylish and slick production.
10. Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu-Comfy show for the year.

Honorable Mentions

Attack on Titan, Dr. Stone and Demon Slayer-
Id say they were all just really solid shounens. Demon Slayer especially had some incredible stand-out moments and i just love zenitsu so much.
Ascendance of Bookworm, Dororo and Mix-Didn't finish these but they were all pretty decent and ill get around to them eventually.
Aggretsuko S2-Had a bit of season 2 hangover but still a lot to love.
Carole and Tuesday-Plot is a mess but had some great songs.
Iskei Quartet-Don't like most the shows involved but i find this show weirdly charming.
How many kilos can you lift-Cheating here because ive basically only seen clips of this here and there but it looks like a super funny show.

Syrinx

Oct 25, 2017
1. The Demon Girl Next Door - main pair were fantastic and enjoyed them throughout
2. The Magnificent Kotobuki - CG dogfighting and such
3. Sarazanmai - Ikuhara being Ikuhara
4. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - others already explained this well enough
5. BanG Dream! S2 - I don't even play the gacha
6. Kakegurui XX - pretty sure this was this past year
7. Bungo Stray Dogs S3 - thanks to the people who reminded me this was this year

Last edited:

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2 - Perfection in art form. A lot of build up pays off better than I could have imagined. All around best tv show I have seen in years
  2. Mob Psycho 100 II - All around great show. Especially the visuals were out of this world.
  3. The Promised Neverland - First episode hooked me immediately. Can't wait for second season.
  4. Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These S2 - Follows the original pretty much scene by scene but modern visuals and new voice acting makes it different enough. And when the original was masterpiece you still get very solid series by simply modernizing it.
  5. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5 Vento Aureo - Almost forgot this because it started in 2018. Maybe my favorite Jojo so far. David productions gets better and better adapting these every new Jojo season.
  6. Vinland Saga - Wit Studio shows that they are not just one trick pony. Great adaption and Askeladd is maybe one of my favorite charasters in long time. Hopefully wee see sequel.
  7. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - Kept me smiling trough all episodes. One of the better comedies in recent times.
  8. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - Very competent shonen with great visuals. I hate Zenitsu though.
  9. Kakegurui XX - My guilty pleasure show of the year. I mean idea is bit stupid but the show goes all in with it and tu
  10. Dr.Stone - One of the freshest ideas in shonen in long time. Also works really well.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
1. Mob Psycho 100 II – Fantastic character development and animation. All around amazing series.
2. Boruto: Naruto Next Generations – Great animation for a long running series and really good work fleshing out the anime original content throughout the year
3. Dr. Stone - The characters, world, and story are so, so good. I'm still sad that this one is over for now.
4. Sarazanmai – Unexpectedly fantastic. I started watching as a joke, but by episode 3 I was fully invested.
5. The Promised Neverland – Kept me on the edge of my seat the entire season
6. Pokémon the Series: Sun and Moon – Wow! The art style set me off from watching this at first, but I'm glad I did. The characters are great and the references and animation continually impress me
6. Radiant – While it starts slow, the second half of the first season and the majority of the second season are very enjoyable and I found them to be a good social commentary as well for a kids' show
7. Black Clover – This show has really come into its own in the last few arcs. While the series suffers from awful animation at times and the characters can be annoying, it is charming in its own way and when the animation gets good, the story is there as well

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Anime TV Series

1. Run With The Wind
– An incredibly inspirational series full of deep and well developed characters and outstanding audio and visuals. Lots of emotional moments that never felt manipulative. Prepare to go running and also cry a lot. Production I.G. crushed it yet again.
2. Attack on Titan S3 – This is the season where AOT cemented its status as a classic. The story went places you couldn't have imagined, and there are still many more surprises left in store.
3. Machikado Mazoku – A hilarious and adorable magical girl series with great plot and excellent lore. I came for Doga Kobo like CGDCT shenanigans, and came away with a surprisingly sweet story of a demon girl helping a retired magical girl overcome her PTSD. The manga is excellent too. Do your best Shamiko! Be a demon girl that gets a second season!
4. Fruits Basket – I never saw the original so I'm really happy this is getting a full adaptation. It's such a cozy experience and I'm eager to see where the story goes.
5. Pokemon Sun & Moon – While I thought the second half of the series was weaker than the first half, it capped off nicely. Ash becoming a champion is like having a childhood dream fulfilled. Lots of emotional moments that felt earned. I'm really going to miss the wonderful cast of characters.
6. Kaguya-sama: Love Is War – This is like the closest thing to a perfect adaptation. Absolutely hilarious.
7. The Promised Neverland – I loved the mystery and it constantly surprised and shocked me.
8. Hitori Bocchi – This is the ultimate cozy show. One of the best CGDCT in a long time. It's also one of the funniest, too.
9. Chihayafuru S3 – This, along with Fruits Basket, is most likely going to end up in my top 3 for 2020. This show does thrill and suspense so well and the way it switches between all kinds of moods within minutes without feeling whiplash is honestly an art form. The use of 3D in this season has elevated the matches to new heights.
10. My Roommate is a Cat – If you like cats and cozy things, this is the show for you.

Honorable Mentions:

Demon Slayer
– A stunning audio visual experience marred by some of the worst writing and annoying side characters that I've ever seen. I would rank it in my top 5 if no one ever spoke and it was just one long ass AMV.

Kono oto Tomare – Despite looking cheap and generic, I really liked this show. The manga is fantastic however.

Anime Movie/OVA Series

1. Promare -
I'm so glad I saw this in the theaters. This was a love letter to Trigger / GAINAX fans. The visuals blew my mind.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Happy Valentine's day! Kaguya ain't getting any points from me.

Anime TV Series
1. Vinland Saga - Askeladd and Thorkell
2. Mob Psycho 100 II - 7 ridiculously good episodes
3. Ascendance of a Bookworm - World building done right
4. Granbelm - Fuck your henshins, we're busy screaming
5. Sarazanmai - Be gay frogs, commit butt stuff crimes
6. Beastars - With good direction even furry stuff can be good
7. The Magnificent Kotobuki - War is fun!
8. Symphogear XV - This pure anime bullshit now has a budget
9. Demon Slayer - Flashes of brilliance suddenly come together in the forest arc
10. Kakegurui XX - Big horny gambling dick energy

Anime Movie/OVA Series
1. Zoku Owarimonogatari - Panders to longtime fans without forgetting to be good
2. Ride Your Wave - Cute af, throw up double shakas and ascend
3. Promare - What if Fire Force, but good?
4. Cencoroll 2 - Waited 10 years for all this vore set to cool music
5. Thunderbolt Fantasy: Bewitching Melody of the West - The symphogear of ultraviolent kung fu puppets

Honorable Mention

x. The Demon Girl Next Door - Why did this have a plot? Why was that plot actually good???!?
x. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - Excellence almost makes you forget how tired this trope is
x. Cop Craft - Buddy cop chemistry carries a bad production
x. Stars Align - A charming cast that got fucked over to no end

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Anime TV Series
01. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2 - A spectacular continuation for a series that started off well and has only gotten better with time. Lots of consequential events, fantastic fights and crazy developments that flip everything we've come to know about the series right on it's head.
02. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - Probably this year's surprise hit for me. The visuals and music are just spectacular. The protagonist of the show is earnest in a way that puts most usual do-gooder anime protags to shame. The sibling bond between the two protagonists is also one of the strongest I've seen in a while and it manages this without entering the usual creepy incest zone we see in too many anime.
03. Vinland Saga - Gritty, bloody and depressingly beatiful nonetheless. Another adaptation of a famous manga people have been waiting for. Vinland Saga doesn't disappoint with it's great soundtrack, smooth animation, over the top memorable characters, well paced character development, exciting battles and realistic depiction of the chaotic Viking lifestyle. Definitely another show that isn't made for the faint of heart with all the slavery, blood and maiming. It even finished on one of the greatest final episodes that will blow your socks off and it even aired in the final week of the decade to boot. This must be the anime equivalent of what it feels like to reach the summit of a great mountain or step on land after crossing a vast ocean. What an epic.
04. Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 - Likely this year's animation juggernaut and almost as strong in terms of character development and dialogue/writing. I would be hard pressed to find any weaknesses in this show much like the first season.
05. Blade of the Immortal - An adaptation of a famous manga I have yet to read. The more solemn and period specific music and sound effects fit this series set in ancient Japan to a tee. Definitely not a show for people with queasy stomachs with all the sexual violence, blood and gore. The weaving of the supernatural with revenge, shadow politics and clan warfare in one fuedal japan setting makes for a unique treat of the kind we rarely get to experience.
06. Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These S2 - Space battles full of suspenseful turnabouts, complex politics of two separate empires with different cultures/technological development, only the adults in charge and few of the usual anime tropes we've come to expect. A very interesting examination of the human condition and our seemingly futile struggle to escape strife/conflict. This is definitely a sleeper hit of the year everyone should have on their list.
07. Run with the Wind - A sports anime revolving around running. The animation, soundtrack, dialogue and interactions between the characters are all top notch. Definitely makes a guy wanna hit the pavement for this new year's resolution.
08. Carol and Tuesday - A bubbly series on top that belies a somewhat darker underbelly our two female protagonists never succumb to. The cast is fun and really diverse which is always welcome in anime. Despite being on Mars the setting and tone really mirror the look and circumstances of a real life metropolis like Los Angeles or New York. Racial tension, political extremism, celebrity life, social media culture, income inequality and the clash of tradition with modern tech/culture make for an entertaining roller coaster that ends on an uplifting note. It's not a masterful dissection of the human condition, but more of an optimistic take on life that most of us wish for instead.
09. Dr. Stone - This show definitely wins points for the wild setting post apocalyptic setting. A futuristic hunter gatherer environment and lifestyle clashing with modern science makes for a unique watch this year. It's got some real suspsenseful and tear jerking moments. The character design and music are awesome. The main protag never quits on his friends or his scientific pursuits even in the face of overwhelming physical threats from both the environment and fellow humans even as the giant mystery of petrification looms ominously overhead. This show did a fantastic job of weaving science, wonder and human emotion together resulting in satisfying sci-fi shounen.
10. Kaguya-sama: Love is war - A fun comedy full of clever scheming, great monologues, top tier jokes and a cast chocked of great comedic chemistry. Definitely a show to watch for 2019.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I watched far fewer things this year than last so I don't have a lot to vote for. I'll try to come back and write some stuff if I have time before the deadline.

1. Kaguya-sama: Love is War
2. Fruits Basket
3. Carole & Tuesday
4. The Promised Neverland
5. How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?

Films
1. I want to eat your pancreas
2. Weathering With You
3. Sound! Euphonium the Movie: Oath's Finale
4. Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl
5. KonoSuba: God's Blessing on this Wonderful World! Legend of Crimson

Nov 20, 2019
Haven't watched a lot of anime this year, but here's mine:

1. Run with the wind - my favorite anime this year by far. This feels like 'a place futher than the universe' but boys version, and about sports. It also has well-developed and fully realized characters. This is just an anime overflowing with passion that really gets to you and make you rethink your life a bit more, i immediately rewatched it after i finished it, it's just too good

2. Carole and Tuesday - music is this anime's strongest point. I still listen to almost all of the songs from this show on my spotify playlist up to this day. In my opinion, they are very well-written for their characters and for the story. The melodies are very catchy and also emotional that really carried the show til the end, which is probably one of the best episodes when everyone gathered for that one final song, the build-up to that really did it for me, and the song is one of the best, too.

3. Dororo - What i loved most about this is the animation. Man, it looks so good. The art style, the colors, the fight scenes, everything is so on point which is what really hooked me to finish it, coz normally i dont watch a lot of anime with so much killing lol... anyway, this is an amazing show coming from someone who don't usually watch this kind of anime, with a well-rounded story and great characters

4. Kaguya-sama Love is war - just a light comedy/ romance anime, it's still very entertaining even though, i already got used to this kind of anime, but i still managed yo finish it.

5. Jojo' Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind - it's Jojo, duh

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Really disheartening that Beastars didn't even make most peoples lists at all. Was it the character designs? the CG? Either way that's RIP for what I thought was a shoe in for an anime of the year contender.
  1. Beastars - Studio Orange is still producing quality (mostly)3D anime.
  2. Mob Psycho II - They managed to outdo season 1
  3. Vinland Saga - Heard a lot about the manga and this convinced me to check it out
  4. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Jojo is always entertaining.
  5. Sarazanmai - Probably my least favourite show by the director, but still entertaining and unique.
  6. Promised Neverland - Some questionable character design aside it was enjoyable similar to your average YA novel youth in trouble setups.
  7. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - Zenitsu put this down a few spots because its an otherwise fun and nicely animated shounen.
  8. Dororo - I forgot this aired last year but its definitely worth watching this show about a guy with sword hands.

Last edited:

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Really disheartening that Beastars didn't even make most peoples lists at all. Was it the character designs? the CG? Either way that's RIP for what I thought was a shoe in for an anime of the year contender.
  1. Beastars - Studio Orange is still producing quality (mostly)3D anime.
  2. Mob Psycho II - They managed to outdo season 1
  3. Vinland Saga - Heard a lot about the manga and this convinced me to check it out
  4. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Jojo is always entertaining.
  5. Sarazanmai - Probably my least favourite show by the director, but still entertaining and unique.
  6. Promised Neverland - Some questionable character design aside it was enjoyable similar to your average YA novel youth in trouble setups.
I did my part!

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Legal availability outside of Japan, at least for those of us in the U.S. (one more month).

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
1. Run with the Wind - I watched all of this in one day and then I immediately started rewatching it the following day. It's pretty good if you like to cry at moving sports stories about the triumph of the human will.
2.Beastars - Even coming of the fantastic Land of the Lustrous I was a bit sceptical for the first few episodes, but Studio Orange proved once again that hey that CG thing doesn't actually have to look like garbage. It's also a really fun pastiche of a story too with some surprisingly excellent voice acting.
3. The Demon Girl Next Door - Don't give up Shamiko, become the best magical girl show of the year with the best couple of the year and funniest voice acting of the year. And also the kindest and strongest girl in the world.
4. High Score Girl II - Once again I'm impressed at how good this show is at making a story entirely about appealing to video game nostalgia and it not being the worst thing in the world. Beautiful and cheesy ending to this surprisingly intense love triangle. I like video games.
5 Kaguya-sama: Love is War - It's funny and cute and well directed. Yeah.
6.Sarazanmai - Nothing matches the feeling of watching the first episode of a new Ikuhara show and just being bombarded with all these wacky sequences and visuals, and the first episode of Sarazanmai might the most shocking in this regard. Has some of the same issues as Yurikuma, but just like that show this one also ends really beautifully.
7. Wasteful Days of High School Girls - This seemed like it might the most bog-standard high school comedy and it kind of is, but the fantastic cast of characters makes up for it. Absolutely hilarious and surprisingly touching at times.
8. Aggretsuko S2 - Another solid season of Retsuko screaming in anger
9. Kakegurui xx - Another solid season of Yumeko screaming in pleasure and madness.
10. Mob Pscyho 100 II - While the animation is just flat out incredible, I felt like this traded in some of the simple charm and moving character dynamics of the first season for more traditional battle shonen storytelling. I wanted more like the great first episode of this season.

Honorable Mentions

Hitoribocchi
- Too precious for this world. WA HA HA
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Golden Wind - Nice crime boys. Looking forward to nice prison girls hopefully in the near future.
Hulaing Babies - Watch this if you like fun and weird animation. It's really short and super charming.
Re:Stage! Dream Days♪ - Seems to have went under the radar of english speaking anime fans even though it was super popular in Japan. A really funny and moving standard idol show with almost all (great) 2D animation for the dance scenes.
Takagi-san S2 - Still adorable.

Last edited:

Spectrum

Oct 27, 2017
Anime TV Series
1. Sarazanmai - Love all the weird imagery in Ikuhara's shows. The only show last year that really had me looking forward for the next episode every week.
2. Beastars - This one caught me by surprise. Having animals as characters actually managed to give a unique spin to all the romance/drama. CG looked ok, but I'm still not a fan.
3. Mob Psycho 2 - Amazing animation.
4. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - I don't like romcoms very much and the rich kids school setting even less, but people were really excited about this series so I gave it a try and it turned out to be quite good. Secretary Fujiwara made the show great.
5. O Maidens in Your Savage Season - Don't remember too many details about this show, but I remember liking the first episodes and that the president had the best storyline.
6. Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu - It was ok.
7. Miru Tights - Uh... All I can say about this show is that it delivered what it promised... (and I'm too ashamed to put it higher)

Anime Movie/OVA Series
1. Millennium Actress - I feel like this vote shouldn't be allowed, buuut according to the rules it's ok, so whatever... (unless theoretical screening actually means something else). This movie is amazing. The way the story is conveyed through the protagonists roles and entwined with the present is very unique and definitely not something anyone could pull off in such a satisfying result. Every single one of Satoshi Kon's works has been very special, and with only one left to watch I wish we could have more to look forward to...
2. Promare - The plot was pretty much by-the-numbers, very predictable. But that's pretty much what I expected. I went in wanting to watch stylish animation and left very satisfied in that regard (the audience was terrible, though).
3. Weathering with You - This movie felt very comfy. I was kind dissatisfied by the ending, though.

Honorable Mention
x. Rinshi!! Ekodachan - I don't feel like it would be fair ranking this one since every episode was it's own thing and it was kind of a mixed bag. There were some very interesting episodes as well as some... disturbing ones...

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
1. Attack on Titan S3 - the greatness that is AoT continues and we finally learn some interesting stuff. AoT as usual has a lot of twists, action, great animation and hype moments with almost every episode and it never gets boring.

2. Mob Psycho 100 S2 - it was hard to believe the 2nd season could live up to the hype that was S1, but this was just a whole lot of fun and feast for the eyes. It's like a group of highly talented animators tried to compete with whoever does the best take while sticking to a plot - in the best way it can be. Some of the scenes in this season were literally jaw dropping and personally made me go "holy shit". The story towards the last couple of episodes was a bit dumb but Mob's plot isn't to be taken seriously anyway.

3. Demon Slayer - definitely a huge surprise for me. Overall the plot was a typical shonen like adventure, but with a bit more sophistication and helps that there are great characters, voice actors and really great fights. If Mob wasn't on this year this show would have easily been the #1 in terms of animation quality. The dance of the fire god scene is one of the best I've ever seen in a shonen anime and that alone ranks it high up.

4. Fire Force - this show also came as a surprise. I'd have to say it's criminally underrated and definitely deserved to be a bit more popular.
It has a pretty unique direction - the show has this style and vibe that feels unique and original in a refreshing way even though the plot itself isn't. Some characters are dumb and cliched but most of the cast is fun. The fire theme of the show and how it's been used by the characters of the show sounds a bit boring in the beginning but they definitely make it work and the powers become more interesting as the the story moves forward. This too, has a lot of beautifully animated fights that made me go 'holy crap', especially in the choreography which is just cool to watch. At the end of the day the story felt kind of forgettable but I just felt good watching this show so for me that's more than enough.

5. Dr. Stone - probably one of the more interesting animes I've seen. All the cast is fun, the show has humor, tension, and a great sense of adventure.
They really nailed the feeling of progress, and each episode makes you want to see how the kingdom of science evolves and takes a step closer towards civilization.

6. Vinland Saga - vikings & anime! An interesting combo that makes you think "why the hell isn't this happening more often?"
Well, it had its ups and downs. It definitely dragged a bit somewhere in the middle of the season and I almost dropped it but then it picks up and becomes better with each episode and the last couple of episodes made it all worth it. The politics and personality of the characters make this show smarter than it first seems to be. I got a bit tired of thorfinn eventually, wish they've done him a bit better than "viking child sasuke". Luckily the other characters were far more interesting and he didn't get all the limelight. I have a feeling next seasons will offer more and we'll see where this goes.

7. Carole & Tuesday - to be honest, before watching part 1, I had a feeling this would not resonate with me at all and I'd drop it after one episode. To my surprise I binged the first part in a couple of days and the second part in another couple of days. I'm not used to watching a feel good wholesome anime so this was really nice and heartwarming to experience.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
TV

1. Vinland Saga - A surprise that started out good and ended great. I was always told this would never get an adaptation and then I was told it probably wouldn't be that good given the studio but wrong on both counts.
  2. Gundam Build Divers: Re:rise - My biggest issue with the first Build series was cyberspace offered up infinite possibilities and they opted for the most boring paths. This addressed that and then some and it's the most fun I've had with Gundam since Turn A.
  3. Sarazanmai - I put this off for awhile as I expected I'd need to be in a certain mood for Ikuhara but this turned out to be the most accessible of his works yet. I think this will function well as a gateway to Ikuhara's works and if asked where to start with them, I'd definitely say start here.
  4. Beastars - Bless Orange. People complained but I believed and I was well rewarded.
  5. Symphogear XV - Finally, a show that understands finales and ending well. It also felt like a culmination of the franchise whereas every preceding season felt lacking in some regard, this felt like many lessons were learned and it ended up the most consistent season that finally lived up to the show's potential.
  6. The Demon Girl Next Door - I can stomach one CGDCT show per year and this filled the quota. Delightfully, I might add.
  7. Magical Sempai - Mostly garbage but once the full cast is together, it feels like the good parts of Dagashi Kashi. I didn't even like it until the second half but I didn't watch much this year and need to fill out a list.
  8. To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts - Garbage adaptation that I couldn't really tear myself away from so this is a warning to all those that come after me to not watch this. Also including it so Printer has to count it.
  9. Mob Psycho II - Particularly boring followup to a lot of stuff I didn't really care to see followed up upon. Thankfully, the short Reigen arc in the middle was great. Production values were incredibly solid as well so respect to that.
  10. Kaguya - Dropped it after two episodes because it's boring as sin outside of Chika doing Chika things and anytime Chika's not on screen the other characters should be asking "Where's Chika?" It's exquisitely well made though so throwing this in as a vote for my favorite modern director, Mamoru Hatakeyama.

Movies

1. Thunderbolt Fantasy – Bewitching Melody of the West - Young Shang is a scary mfer.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the following was listed according to what came to mind first. It is not reflective of the quality cause I liked all of them equally. Those that I remembered after 10th choice will be in the honorable mentions (aside from Dororo for reasons I talk about).

Anime TV Series

1. Jojo's Bizzare Adventure Part 5 Vento Auero - This adaptation was great. It took an already great part and made it even better with some improvements here and there.
2. Aggretsuko S2 - Nothing else to say here other than a really good continuation to the last season. It was a really good relateable anime, especially for those that work.
3. Fruit Basket - I was really happy they gave us another adaptation of Fruit Basket. I find this version to be even better than original (sure it wasn't following the source material but still). I can't wait for the next season to come.
4. Carole and Tuesday - Really cool universe, awesome characters, great music and artstyle. What else could one ask for? It delivered what it wanted to do and had a really awesome positive message while doing so.

5. How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift? - Really fun cast of characters and I found all the training info dumps really interesting and fun to learn about. Made me want to hit the gym even more.

6. Are You Lost? - This was a really cool suprise. I thought it would be one of those trash fan service anime but I was proven wrong. It did have "fan service" scenes but they didn't feel out of place so I will let it pass. What I got with this anime was a fun time watching girls adapt to the wilderness with some funny sequences here and there.

7. Running with the Wind - I don't usually watch sport animes but when I do it would be one like this. Really good drama and characters. I also loved how it was actually completed instead of making so many seasons out of it.

8.Kaguya Sama: Love is War - The perfect romantic comedy package. Good interesting characters, great jokes, really good voice acting and a good stylistic direction. The source material was already great but this took it to the next level.

8. Attack on Titan S3 - The prior seasons were really good (mostly) but what happens when you abandon the "mecha" story style and go fully into exploring the world of AOT with some good action and hype moments? You get this season. It was really great.
9. Baki - This shit was so damn insane that it deserved a spot on this. I can't really find the right words to use but trust me when I say this, this shit is insane.

10. Chihayafaru S3 - More Chihayafaru. Enough Said.

Honorable Mention
-Dororo - I loved this anime. For the first half atleast. The second half was just terrible and really boring . Not sure what the hell happened cause it started so good only to get really bad out of nowhere.
-Vinland Saga - I wanted to put this in the list above but this arc is my least favourite arc. I like Thorfinn's character way more the next arc. Hopefully a season two happens cause the next arc is so damn good.
-Mob Psycho 2. Really good anime from start to finish.
-High Score Girl II - More nostalgia and intense love traingle. It was great.
-Beastars - Really interesting world and really good direction.

I still need to watch Bookworm,

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Anime TV Series
1. Mob Psych 100 II - Doubled down on everything good about the first season, with even more crazy good fight animation and introspective character development.
2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Golden Wind - David Pro didn't mess with the source material quite as much as Part 4, but they didn't have to. The propulsive pace and strong encounter design are enough to make this a must-watch.
3. Kaguya-sama: Love Is War - Goofy faces, subverted expectations, I-know-you-know-I-know mind games, and Chika being adorable. What more could you ask for?
4. Senki Zesshou Symphogear XV - A worthy culmination of this series chock full of action, callbacks, and miraculous asspulls.
5. Vinland Saga - A series equally at home contemplating the philosophy of war, death, nationhood, and love as it is with metal-as-fuck action.
6. Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin - Advent of the Red Comet - You know all that OYW backstory you first read on primitive Gundam wikis back when Wing first appeared on Toonami? They actually made a show about it.
7. How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift? - Exercise edutainment married to a goofy gag show, full of charming characters you want to see succeed in their workout goals. Is moderately less horny than you probably think it is.
8. Granbelm - High-quality 2D mecha action carries a not-great story, but it is at least fun to see Suishou chewing the scenery.
9. Mysteria Friends - Just a comfy series about two gals being pals.
10. Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files {Rail Zeppelin} Grace note - A nice-looking show with an engaging cast, but it's hard to appreciate the mysteries when the solutions are often so grounded in weird Nasuverse metaphysics.

Anime Movie/OVA Series
1. Promare - Very much a Trigger's greatest hits, but if that's something you're into you'll really be into it.
2. Thunderbolt Fantasy – Bewitching Melody of the West - It's striking to see Shang just murdering tons of fodder without reservation. Puts into perspective how much he's holding back in the series.
3. Dragon Quest: Your Story - For the most part an effective (if quite rushed) adaptation of DQ V. The twist is way out there but I appreciate the theme it's trying to convey.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
Anime TV Series
1. Beastars - Spirited and unflinching in its creative choices, the tension of the story quiets questions about specifics of the odd social structure at play here.
2. Bang Dream! 2nd Season - CG saves a series about music by actually being able to accommodate the wide cast and regularly insert musical performances into the material.
3. Vinland Saga - Unique in its ability to effectively depict fictionalized history in the space. Even with twenty-something episodes what's here feels very much like the small lead-in to something larger. This slightly undermines the minute to minute actions, but the ending arrived at justifies the path it took.
4. Kakeguruixx - Gambling good. More to the point with interesting games than the first season, but what's here doesn't feel particularly cohesive.
5. Sarazanmai - Ikuhara has lots of ideas that are presented here. It's fun and flashy but I didn't find many of the concepts that were presented to be explored in a manner that's particularly worth stopping to think about.
6. Lord El-Melloi II Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note - Fate's setting provides a surprisingly strong structure for Waver to play magical detective in. When it starts to dabble in just feeling like a weak version of what's come before it in the franchise it's hard to not be a little bored though.
7. Kemurikusa - Aesthetically strong as it works with strong visual concepts and good background art in spite of the weak CG and underwhelming character designs. It's dry at times, but the story pieces fit together well enough that the journey felt worth tagging along for.
8. How clumsy you are, Miss Ueno. - Sells itself on its "off" brand of humor that can tread into being a little uncomfortable at times.
9. Mob Psycho 2 - I loved the first season but this was kinda dreadful honestly. Strong opener before devolving into the shounen nonsense it felt like the series used to make a point of deviating from.
10. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - Kinda yikes...I dunno. The cast is pretty weak for a comedy and the world around them is the faux opulence you find in overly uptight fiction like this. I still watched it all and enjoyed a few sequences though so I guess that's something.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Anime TV Series
  1. Vinland Saga - Fantastic series, managed to keep me engaged from beginning to end, that is mainly due to Askelad who is one of the best characters to appear that year
  2. Mob Psycho 100 II - The first season was great, but this managed to exceed it in every way.
  3. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - Pretty funny show.
  4. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2 - 👍👍👍
  5. Fire Force - It is mainly high on the list due to the unique direction style, which made it much better than the source material.
  6. Carole & Tuesday- Fun, feel-good anime, with good music and diverse characters.
  7. Demon Slayer Kimetsu no Yaiba - 👍
  8. How Heavy are the Dumbbells You Lift?- 🤣
  9. The Promised Neverland - While I did not like some of the approaches it took, it's still a solid adaptation.
  10. Dr. Stone - Though it lacked much animation, the art, music, and voice acting(dub) still made it an enjoyable show to watch.
Anime Movie/OVA Series
  1. Dragon Ball Super Broly - 🎶Super Broly! Gogeta! Go! Broly! Go! Broly! Go! Broly! Come on! Broly! Gogeta! Gogeta! Gogeta! Gogeta! Oh eh oh! Oh eh oh! Oh eh oh! Eh oh eh! 🎷🎺🎶
  2. Promare - Didn't love it as much as I wanted, but can't get upset with Trigger saving anime. Cool animation and soundtrack

Honorable Mention
Black Clover, Boruto, One Piece, That time I got reincarnated as a Slime, Dororo.

Bonus Category

Top 10 Opening

Top 5 Ending

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Anime TV Series

102008.jpg

1. Beastars - The CG masters behind Land of the Lustrous achieve absolute wizardry once again. This series might be even MORE impressive due to the degree of difficulty in animating anthropomorphic CGI animal people, and making them emote and move so well. Watch this the instant it drops on Netflix.

97023.jpg

2. Kaguya: Love is War - This year's absolute gutbuster. Chika faces are burned into my brain.

103005.jpg

3. Vinland Saga - This is probably the best drama about Vikings ever made anywhere.

96303.jpg

4. Mob Psycho 100 II - Contains some of the most jawdropping animated action sequences ever, even including movies.

100455.jpg

5. Sarazanmai - Please watch this incredible drama about 3 gay kappas pulling orbs out of butts.

99827.jpg

6. Fruits Basket (2019) - Tohru is a precious kindness fairy sent to deliver love and happiness.

100633.jpg

7. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2 - Attack on Titan does the impossible by wrapping up most of its long-running plotlines in a thrilling manner.

94989.jpg

8. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind - *threatening piano notes in the distance*

99904.jpg

9. High Score Girl II - Why am I crying at an emotional climax featuring several 8 and 16 bit video game characters clapping the background? Because this show rules.

102068.jpg

10. Chihayafuru 3 - My stupid karuta kids are back and better than ever.

Ailyo

Oct 27, 2017
Anime TV Series

1. Pokémon Sun & Moon - The series that has kept me company for a few years ends on a very high note. I'll never forget this series and it's dumb kids
  2. Beastars - Orange returns with another great adapation that uses CGI in a really cool way. On top of that, a great story and great characters. Shame that it was locked in Netflix jail
  3. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - I'm slightly biased here since I really love the manga and I can't wait for what's to come which is even better. Anyway, it managed to greatly adapt some of the weaker chapters of the manga. Fantastic direction.
  4. Vinland Saga - One of the best media about vikings I've ever watched, just a fantastic series
  5. Mob Psycho 100 II - Probably the best animated series of the year. However, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one because it kinda goes full shonen at the end. Still really good tho.
  6. Run with the Wind - This kinda came out of nowhere and while it takes a while to get really good, when it does you'll be in love with all the characters
  7. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2 - I still can't believe how good Attack on Titan is now.
  8. Chihayafuru 3 - It's more Chihayafury and it's still really good
  9. Sarazanmai - I found it a bit weaker than other Ikuhara works but it's still worth checking out.
  10. Symphogear XV - A bombastic end to my favorite anime about girls punching things
Movies/OVAs

1. Dragonball Super: Broly - An incredible theater experience. A fun as hell movie
  2. Weathering with You - Does get a bit silly near the end, but still really sweet and nice
  3. One Piece: Stampede - The most fanservice ass movie OP could possibly get and i enjoyed it for what it was
  4. Pop Team Epic TV Special - More PTE, still good. Season 2 when?
  5. Yuru Yuri, - A return to form after the disappointing Season 3.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Anime TV Series
1. Amazing Stranger - This show is one of those shows that totally takes you back to the early 2000s, in the best ways imaginable. You have that early 00s style opening (which is amazing btw), Otaku lead with figure/robot gf, and a very heartwarming relationship between them two and hijinxes that ensues when more figures join the party. I don't think anything made me smile as much as this show did this season.
2. Demon Lord, Retry! - Here is another show that throws those early 2000s vibes, and it revels on it. I think people brushed it off very early on because isekai and that people for some reason thought that the main female character looks like Rem clone, even tho they look nothing alike. Besides that, this show knew exactly what it was doing and reveled in it. The clash between the MC, whose appearance and character is straight from a Cyberpunk setting in a fantasy world, was really fun to watch. The bizzareness of the fantasy world, and the names of things really added to the world in a fun way. It's very hard to really pin down why I like it as much as I did besides pointing to the early 2000s vibes, the fun character interactions, and the animators really doing the best they could with obvious limits they had as the show was clearly made under a very tight budget while making use of it as best one could. This show also features shitty flute music and that makes it even better.
3. ENDRO! - This was the show I thought was gonna be my AOTY at the begining of the year, and it got close in the end, the competition was close. This is a show that has everything I like, CGDCT + Fantasy, a winning combo, and a lovely artstyle. This show never failed in making me laugh as well as leaving heartwarming feelings. The message of the show really hit me in the end as well as the "real main character" Maou-chan got fitting end to her character arc. Don't let your destiny dictate your life, make your own destiny and be the person you want to be.
4. Rifle is Beautiful - Here is another show that is really hard to just pin down as to why I liked it so much. This show somehow managed to introduce like 20 characters in the final 4 episodes, while making each of them distinct and charming, while also retaining great jokes along the way. Something about the jokes here hit me harder than usual, and it may be the delivery of them. The delivery is very dry, which is further exaggerated by the emotionless archetype character of Yukio, the Rei (NGE) lookalike. But it's not only that, it is also how the show twisted these archetypes around to make them stand out a little bit more. There is also something really funny about a show that just straight up trashes on its own premise multiple times. The show is about girls shooting at targets with laser rifles. It's not exactly what one would think it would be about going by the title.
5. Fairy Gone - Here is one of those shows that just kept escalating with each and every episode that came out. It just kept getting better and better. The character dynamics were fun, the plot was intriguing even tho it felt a bit rushed at the end, it ended with me feeling satisfied. It also had one my favourite moments of the year with one of the villains whistling their own theme song. I really like going through the adventure of the main character Marlya and her growth of going all alone to being in a team and relying on them and trying to help her childhood friend to do the same thing. And by the way, the music is amazing.
6. Ascendance of a Bookworm - One of those isekais playing with the concept of technological progress, and it's something I wish we had more of. As someone that has studied papermaking in university, this was really intrguing to watch, of course some things were simplified but the gist of it was accurate and it was fun to watch Main succeeding, as well as her journey in accepting what she is now and what the people around her means to her now. I really liked the cozy feeling of the show, it didn't span many areas, but it did make the world feel like a big place at the same time. It kept being interesting while being set in a very small area.
7. Wise Man's Grandchild - Sometimes I just get itch for a magical school show and this one came at the right time. One of the thing I like about magical school settings is when they go over the magic systems and magic manipulation and I feel like this show covered that well. And while the show liked to show that the MC is OP, it also showed that the main character isn't really special in this regard. It is mostly down to understanding how to manipulate magic through scientific information, which anyone could learn. I also really liked how the show went on to portray the romance between the MC and his love interest, and making the other female characters feel independent and their own people without revolving around the MC and having their own friendships and relationships. The fights scenes were also really great to watch, good animation!
8. Grimm's Notes The Animation - What if fairy tails were real and the creation of a storyteller that says how it should be in real life. This is what this show tackled. While it may have ended on a bit of a sloppy note, the concept and the message that they were trying to convey was something that really had me thinking. Storytellers being assholes, creating tragedy for the sake of their story and engagement was an interesting topic to bring up. Everyone in the world of Grimms Notes were born with a destiny, that they have to fulfill. Whether it be the role of Snow White or some no name castle guard who does really nothing. There are however people born without roles and they are the ones we follow during the story of Grimms Notes. Having to see them witnessing the tragedies, while not being able to prevent them because changing fate would destroy the world of that specific story got me in a melancholic mood after most episodes. That Aladdin episode really got me man.
9. High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even In Another World - Mayonnaise, for some reason this show really liked to talk up mayonnaise. This show had a lot of enjoyable aspects such as the characters, the tail wagging animations, mayonnaise, the fights, and more. The ridiculous feats these high school prodigies could achieve were quite something, such as outrunning a missile and turning it 180 degrees with one's bare hands, based Samurair girl, or a smol magician boy being able to inexplicably use magical trick without any preparation that are also impossible. This boy makes Batman's prep time look like a joke. The political stuff in the show was also very intriguing, trying to create a revolution in order to overthrow monarchy and replace it with democracy by using the power of mayonnaise and religion was spectacular. All in all, a show that I had a really good time with.
10. The Magnificent KOTOBUKI - I like planes, I dont like flying on planes, but I do like seeing them fly and do cool stuff. This is what I got with this show + fun banter between the characters and unexpected DEEP LORE. Not really much to say about this show, other than if you like watching dog fights, this could be right up your alley :D

Line X

Oct 26, 2017
TV Series

1. How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift? - Inspiring to get back into shape. Just do it however you can to be fit!
2. Lord El-Melloi Case Files {Rail Zeppelin} grace note
3. That Time I was Reincarnated As A Slime
4. Manaria Friends
5. Demon Slayer
6. Kemono Michi: Rise Up

Movies

1. Thunderbolt Fantasy: Betwitching Melody of the West - The best puppet franchise continues to deliver with this movie. Hope this ride never ends.
2. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection - New 10 year plan please!
3. Weathering With You - Shinkai is still amazing.
4. Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl - This was pretty heavy.
5. Euphonium Movie - Our Promise: Brand New Day - These characters grow a lot.

Honorable Mentions

Saga of Tanya the Evil the Movie - Congratulations, ya played yourself.
I Want To Eat Your Pancreas - Very emotional.
Konosuba Legend of Crimson
F/SN Heaven's Feel II. lost butterfly
Kabaneri: Battle of Unato

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
TV Series-
1. Symphogear XV - Quite possibly the best season and a high note for the franchise to go out on.
2. How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift? - Believe in the Machio that believes in your muscles.
3. Run With the Wind - Evolved from the Haikyuu copy cats that IG had been pumping out into something separate and emotionally resonant.
4. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - Despite some weaker earlier episodes, the show found its rhythm.
5. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2 - Strong showing from Wit, possibly their last entry. Some of the sakuga cuts were on a different level.
6. Vinland Saga - The only reason this is not higher on my list is that I didn't finish it yet.
7. Gundam Build Divers: Re:rise - The best Gundam series since the original GBF.
8. Beastars - Despite amazing art direction, the story is sort of insane.
9. Sarazanmai - Good showing from Ikuhara despite the limited runtime still hampering him. Signficantly better than Yuri Bears.
10. Mob Psycho II - Honestly this was a bore in the 2nd half despite all the sakuga.

Movies-
1. Saga of Tanya the Evil the Movie
2. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection
3. Konosuba Legend of Crimson
4. Thunderbolt Fantasy: Betwitching Melody of the West
5. F/SN Heaven's Feel II. lost butterfly

Bob_Coffee

Oct 25, 2017
#1 Senki Zeshou Symphogear XV(戦姫絶唱シンフォギアXV)

There is no higher amount of praise I can give of this series, as its final season reminds me both of why I am a fan of this show and why I still continue to watch anime at my age. But Symphogear is ostensibly not a show I would recommend to someone who is not familiar with anime as a genre as I would describe it in one way is some of the most anime ass anime there is. The other way I tend to describe symphogear to folks is; its pure anime bullshit distilled into its purest form, with a fantastic soundtrack well thought out plot and is just pure entertainment. But what the fifth and final season of symphogear does and does so in a way that most long running shows wish they can do is not only make something that's entertaining on its own merits but also is a celebration of the show as a whole. With every episode so crazy that it would be a season finale in any other show not named symphogear. With character returns that are foreshadowed and don't feel like total asspulls. With amazing animation each episode and that's just for the tv airing, not counting what will be no doubt cleaned up on the bluray release. And its seiyuu singing there hearts out even more with some of the best anison outside of Love Live! The passion put in to this show by both the staff and seiyuu is felt throughout the 13 episode run. And on top of that the show its its 5 season run with a near perfect ending nearly resolving every single plot point except for one. DESS/10

#2 The case files of El Melloi II: Grace Note Rail Zeppelin: I had way more fun with this series than I expected. This to me is the true sequel to fate zero. And can be described as fate/ncis with a dash of harry potter. The tone naturally is reminiscent of fate/zero and even the cases preceding the mail Rail Zeppelin arch are pretty interesting. Another nice thing about this series vs other fate material is we get a small glimpse of how things work in the clock tower and other world building tid bits absent from a lot of the other fate stuff. I would really like to see another season adapting more of the ln's of this series if the keep up the same tone and overall quality.

#3 Kengan Ashura: While this show wont win any sakuga awards, what we have is a very entertaining shounen fighting show that takes out 98% of the filler and basically makes the entire story the tournament arc. While the main character ohma, and his salary-man employer kazou yamashita arc is v entertaining, yamashita being the more entertaining of the two, ashura also succeeds in getting you to care about side characters that may have maybe 20 mins of good screen time throughout the 25 episodes via good condensed story telling within the tournament matches themselves, everything you need to know is laid out concisely within each of the fighters episodes. And you can tell the author of the original story is influenced by fighting games, pro wrestling and other things as are the corporate sponsors clearly are modeled after real life companies. The fights despite being cgi are well done and the action is easy to follow. This is one show I more or less Marathon beginning to end.

#4 Grappler Baki: its baki, its insane, its crazy and its great.

Movies

#1 KonoSuba: God's Blessing on this Wonderful World! Legend of Crimson: konosuba the movie much like symphogear XV is some anime ass anime. A perfectly executed film that takes everything one loved from the konosuba tv series and kicks it up to 11. this film was the most fun ive had in the movie theaters in a very very long time. Explosion/10

# 2 Love Live! Sunshine the School idol movie: Over the rainbow:
This Movie was Hop? Stop? Nonstop! fun and a wonderfully entertaining movie that acts as the current bookend to Aqours anime adventures. The Movie made me Believe Again! In school idols, with its Brightest Melody, and at the end I could not help but Jump up high at the finale of the film. After watching this film I cannot help but wait for the Next SPARKLING!! of the Love Live Franchise.

#3 Gundam: Char's Counterattack:

Fathom events in late 2019 showcased a one night showing of char's counterattack in us theaters. This was a wonderful experience as a fan of the gundam franchise as most of us as fans primary introduction to gundam was via home video releases and its a rareity or at least it was in the past to view theatrical gundam in a theater stateside. As for the film itself, it is a interesting in two ways, On one hand this is the big budgeted finale to Char Azanble and Amuro Ray's rivalry started in the original mobile suit gundam, on the other hand this film is a mixed juxtoposition of that plot coupled with the B plot of Bright noa's son being thirty for Quess paraya in a way that only yoshiyuki tomino could pull off. The Animation is still amazing and holds up very well to todays feature length anime films. And the Nu Gundam and Sasabi are timeless designs and the final confrentation of char and amuro above axis as it crashes into earth is still as tense as it likely was to fans viewing the film in japanese theatres in the 80s.

#4 Dragon Ball Super the movie: Broly: this is dragon ball at its finest, and does the impossible by giving edgelord Mc edgelord broly a compelling and interesting character. The plot here is simple but gets the job done and the animation and fights do not disappoint, if dragon ball in the future only consists of movies done of this calibur I will be satisfied, if super gets a second season further exploring what this movie establishes of broly's new found actual character, I will also be happy with that. This movie made me feel like a young kid again watching dragon ball movies again in a language I couldn't understand, but it still looked cool. If this kind of excitement and quality continues for dragon ball in the future, the future will be good.

#5 My Hero Academia the movie: two heros: Much like konosuba, the mha movie takes eveything good about mha and kicks it up to 11. and while your particular favortie character if they arent named todoroki, bakugo or deku and to a less extent all might may not get a shitload of screentime, they will get a really cool moment, and the overall package while not adding much to the mha mythos at all much less being cannon ends up being a most fun ride none the less.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
1. Bungo Stray Dogs Season 3 - I watched all of this show in like a 1 week span. This season was great like the others. Hot guys, a fun story and some sweet fights. Doesn't get much better than that.
2. Demon Slayer - They really turned some poor source material into a tour de force. Absolutely loved this show, its beautiful visually and they managed to make a really great meal from some shit from aldis.
3. Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 - I really didn't care for the first season. Glad I watched the 2nd season though because it outclasses the 1st in every possible way. Definitely had the best animation I've seen from anything I've seen in the last few years
4. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - One of the rare shows that puts a smile on my face from start to the finish. Just a pleasant time.
5. Hitori Bocchi - Like Kaguya-sama but I rank it lower because her crippling anxiety was too real for me at times. Also her "best friend" was a fucking dick.

Last edited:

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very late but here's my list I compiled in a matter of 10 minutes
TV Anime:
1.Beastars
2.Vinland Saga
3. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2
4. Sarazanmai
5. Ascendance of a Bookworm
6. Mob Psycho 100 II
7. Lord El Melloi II Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note
8. Granbelm
9. Dumbell Nan Kilo Moteru?

Movies/OVA:
1. Thunderbolt Fantasy – Bewitching Melody of the West
2. Hi Score Girl OVA
3. Weathering With You

Last edited:
OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
1. Beastars
Z6Sxq6E.jpg

I'm sorry for doubting you Studio Orange.

Once again Studio Orange has captured my top spot in my AOTY voting with their adaption of Beastars. As a studio, Studio Orange has proven that they can transform great source material into something even stronger. Due to their overall understanding that an adaption doesn't mean a 1 to 1; but rather, to make the best use of the animation medium compared to the manga medium, and making changes where needed. This combined with their understanding of the strengths of CG, has given me another strong contender alongside their 2017 show Land of the Lustrous for my Anime of the Decade list.

2. Pokemon: Sun and Moon
iMYBCco.jpg

2019 marks the third and final year Pokemon: Sun and Moon the Anime will be on my AOTY list, with it hitting it's highest placement overall this year. The strength to this entry in the long running Pokémon series comes down to the grounded nature of the show. No, I'm not talking logically grounded or realistic grounded, instead I'm talking about it focusing on a much more singular location. By having the show be much less about traveling around the region fighting gyms, it allowed this entry to have the room to focus on character's rather then battles. This with the focus on character growth and slice of life elements allowed me to actually care for Satoshi's crew to a degree I never did in prior entries. This entry into the Pokemon anime is an absolute treat, and is a great re-entry point for many of those who watched the original seasons before dropping off.

3. Kaguya-sama: Love is War
JnqbvSs.jpg

Not much I need to say other then that Omata/Hatakeyama still proving themselves to be one of the newer anime directors in the field.

4. Sarazanmei
LZqBvGX.jpg

Sarazanmei is very much like everything else that has come out of Ikuhara since his return in the 2010's, packed to the brim with ideas and messages but in a flawed package. Though that may sound like I'm ripping on his works, a flawed Ikuhara show is still better than 98% of anime that comes out each year. Dish.

5. Granbelm
YFGktjv.jpg

Yes the action wasn't good, yes the show wasn't particularly filled with any sakuga, yes this show is very much an Okada-like show. Yet, even with all those issues (me and Okada have a love hate relationship), Granbelm managed to captivate me with it's story, characters and over the top Okada like actions.

6. The Demon Girl Next Door
N6XhL8A.jpg

I will eat crow for not including this in the Anime Summer OT's highlights, I assumed was going to be the usual J.C. Staff cute comedy fare. Instead, I got a hilarious cute comedy filled with some nice animation and an actual story. Praise our demon lord Shadow Mistress Shamiko.

7. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2
8juutXY.jpg

The final entry of Attack on Titan that will be done by Studio Wit, let us all embrace our future Studio Pierrot animated entry of Season 4. Not much to say, they did a great job adapting this show since the roughness that was the first season. Going to be sad to not see Wit adapt the madness the occurs after season 3.

8. Vinland Saga
1gR6WoJ.jpg

Back to back Studio Wit entries on this list. Fun adaption that is just an opener for the true story of the manga. Doubt we will ever get a sequel anime due to the differing nature that the manga goes towards, but I'm happy it was made with the overall animation quality we were given.

9. Mob Psycho 100 Season 2
gwVkZOM.jpg

Most disappointing award for me would go to MP100 S2. While the sakuga goodness is still oozing from every pore of this show, the story is an utter faceplant compared to the first season. Most of these issues can be pointed to the long and overall boring Claw arc that takes up 2/3rds of this season run. Still a goodish show, but just a letdown.

10. How clumsy you are, Miss Ueno
ZYNjqWp.jpg

Awkward, confusing, unnerving and uncomfortable feeling are words that can describe Miss Ueno. The nature of the show is suspect, yet, I still enjoyed this show much more then I had any right to. It has the type of comedy that clicks with me well, even if the content is….more unnerving due to aspects then I would wish.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
Anime TV Series
1. Beastars - Unexpectedly engaging characters in a very weird society solidify this as an easy vote for me. It honestly feels like there's a large gulf between this and everything else this year.
2. Machikado Mazoku - Yumeko is such an endearing character that it's hard not to get dragged into rooting for her. This was funny and cute and solid the entire way through.
3. Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 2 - Takagi and Nishikata have a simple, pure-hearted relationship that is entertaining to watch.
4. Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita! - Cute and funny, an easy watch with likeable characters.
5. Endro~! - An expected character story in a premise you'd expect to be lighthearted. The most engaging character isn't in the main group so therefore isn't the main focus the entire time, but the back half of the series delivers.
6. Kakegurui×× - Another Yumeko, even more of a demon than the actual demon girl. More of the same crazy gambling from the first season.
7. Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? - Informative and funny.
8. Isekai Quartet - A weird concept, but funny.
9. Kemurikusa - A weird setting and likeable characters.
10. Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai - Funny at times, but an incomplete story.

Anime Movie/OVA Series
1. Youjo Senki - Tanya just trying to stay alive. This character is always a thrill to watch.
2. Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel II. Lost Butterfly - Finally. One more to go.
3. Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! - Hilarious.
4. Code Geass - Probably unnecessary as a story, but enjoyable seeing the characters again. 100% fanwank, but if you're a fan that's great, and I am so it was.

Honorable Mention
11. Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo - Waver's the highlight, but it feels like it wastes the potential of the character, mainly because it's not focused on developing him.
Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!? - Stupid, but entertaining.
Hulaing Babies - Cute, silly, short.
Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san - Relaxing with likeable characters.
Score Girl II - Fighting games anime. Drawn out and a weird ending, but enjoyable all the same.
Kandagawa Jet Girls - Fluff, but the kind of fluff I like. Gayer than expected, and yet still not gay enough.

There are actually tons of honorable mentions or things that could have been in my top ten, but they're all things that have massive flaws, usually either bad openings, bad middles, or bad endings. Bad endings especially kill things for me.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - This series blew me away with how hilarious it is. As others have noted, describing it as the "Death Note of romance" is pretty dang apt.
  2. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2 - Season 3, particularly its 2nd half, has been phenomenal in how it's gotten to be so much more engrossed in this series, which is what a great adaptation should accomplish. The latest batch of episodes have cemented this show as one of the best series one could be watching.
  3. Mob Psycho 100 II - Amazing season, Mob Psycho continues to be one of the most consistently quality anime out there, in both animation and actual storytelling. I'd rank S1 as being slightly, very slightly, better, but that's not at all a mark against this season.
  4. Vinland Saga - Took me forever to get around to finally watching this, but I'm glad I did. Very gripping story,
  5. Beastars - This was basically adult Zootopia, and I loved it. Though I haven't read the manga, it is very obvious that this adaptation is really making the most of the anime medium.
  6. Promised Neverland - A solid adaptation of one of the strongest shounen arcs.
  7. Kimetsu no Yaiba - Ufotable did an amazing job at making what would otherwise be a pretty standard shounen series really stand out, and then some.
  8. Dr. Stone - A solid adaptation of what has become a recent favorite of mine, love the premise, and the show has really reminded me to not take science and technology for granted.
  9. Aggretsuko Season 2 - Very adorable show that made for an easy binge
  10. Run with the Wind - Not the best sports anime I've ever watched, but it was a solid watch all the same. Nice seeing an older cast for once as well compared to the usual high schoolers.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Anime TV Series
1. Fruits Basket - The 2019 adaptation was my first exposure to the Fruits Basket series and I honestly loved everything about it. Tohru is such an amazing character and I love that early 2000's feel that the show gives off. Very touching show that always had me laughing or crying and it even deals with some darker themes that I can't wait to see more of in the sequel! Dub is also fantastic!

2. Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2 - Wit Studio did it again! amazing visuals and a fantastic OST. This season was filled with a lot of great reveals and I love where they are going with the story. Great character development with a ton of emotional payoff. Thank god this show was here to wipe the awful taste of Game of Thrones out of everyones mouth! This is how you do it! Excited for the final season.

3. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - Not going to lie...I knew nothing about this series since im still kinda new to manga/anime and when I saw the title of this show I figured it was going to be some boring seasonal shonen trash but man I was wrong. Ufotable are gods! amazing production values with so many best boys its really hard to pick a favorite. Tanjiro & Nezuko are so damn cute and Zenitsu and Inosuke are both hilarious. Pretty standard story but still very enjoyable due to the chemistry of the characters and the VA's also do an amazing job here. Really well done emotional moments and episode 19 will be a favorite of mine for a while!.

4. Kaguya-Sama: Love is War - not much to say about this one, I love a good romcom and this was great. Kaguya, Chika and the president were all amazing characters. Really strong VA performances and an OP that was definitely on repeat for most of the year!

5. Vinland Saga - Another great Wit Studio adaptation. Askeladd definitely carried this show and he is now one of my favorite protagonists of all time. Great overall story and characters. Wish Thorfinn wasn't so annoying at times though.

6. Given - A BL anime that wasn't rapey garbage? Thank you Given!. Really emotional show and I honestly wasn't expecting to like it so much. amazing payoffs and the music was great.

7. The Promised Neverland - great manga, great adaptation now that I think about it. was a bit unfair to it looking back now. would love to watch it again.

Anime Movie/OVA Series
1.Fate/Stay Night Heavens Feel II Lost Butterfly - more fate goodness!
2. Promare - amazing production values, okay story

Honorable Mention
Chihayafuru 3 - only 1 cour aired...its still my favorite series and will def vote for it in 2020. its amazing, dont sleep on it!

Oct 25, 2017
Anime TV Series
8c85185ae9cda5ad7001de0824c2a9a59d73ecc6.gifv

1. Actors: Songs Connection - Actors Song Connection was one of those anime that just left me blown away from beginning to end. Where it started out like the typical school club anime with a transfer student (Saku) trying to find his way of fitting into a new school and class, it became something bigger when he was scouted intially for his singing talent but then his ability to really connect with everyone. Beyond Saku, his friends the composer Sousuke and his lyricist friend, Ute, really round him out in the personality department while also having their own goals they want to achieve with Saku there. Other school members are also fun in their own rights. What added further depth was the seemingly videogame/vrmmo type system here where other entities were also present on campus round either living as blobs or through the cats. Overall. I loved this aspect and ultimately the songs were phenomenal both in their Japanese versions, but also in their ENG dub versions. Really, definitely impressed with how the ENG VA singers did for the songs with all be phenomenal.

b8b74a84cbe6eec1a153860278d9e634806536b4.png

2. Kono Oto Tomare: Sounds of Life - School club anime seemed to be my favorite type of show and this was exception on so many levels. From students who have to deal with handling issues regarding their family relationships and friendships to proving oneself despite the rumors there was much to like. Friendship levels remained high among the characters which I loved with many moments feeling so sweet and lovey dovey that I smiled from it and squealed too but also felt pretty embarrassed to be getting this intimate view of their lives. Everyone is too sweet for words. Broken family ties plot and attempting to reconcile it through music with the friends one made alone the way was an awesome theme and I loved it on the multiple levels it was shown too. Best friendship of the year in this show for me, Chika & Tetsuki.
tumblr_pkrjf2Jbmy1wrb3z2o1_540.gifv

3. The Rising of the Shield Hero - Stories of underdogs or people trying to clear their good name always get to me and The Rising of the Shield Hero is one of the finest in the subgenre of these stories. With Master Naofumi entering into another world, played a fool by beings in higher power, then striving through the entire series to act moral uprighteous while trying to handle his anger with how unfair the world is to him when he did nothing wrong, is immensely compelling. On top of that, adding in an ultra gullible pretty boy, a naive kid gamer of sorts, and some bland cool guy who just goes along with the flow, we have an immensely cool cast who have surprisingly good chemistry when their together. (personally love Naofumi and Motoyasu reactions the most, and enough so that I did write them a pretty popular fanfic, nice). In any event a shield hero is already unique and different, and his cast of femchars are actually entertaining and not just there as harem interests like a few other series. Really definitely up there with Mahouka Koukou, Accel World, Devil is a Part-timer for best LN anime. Music is great too. Madkid forever.

9529326fa1e817ea3bd835185a71c344ea8d3984.png

4. Given - Really fantastic take on the school life BL genre but with the twist of adding the grief based storyline and overcoming it or rather dealing with it through an outlet of music and friendship. Really liked the message behind the story as well as the characters all around. It was also pretty cute with Mafuyu's friendship with Uenoyama from both the moments teaching him how to play a guitar but the developing friendship. For the friendship and grieving aspect enjoyed Mafuyu having friends that he had to deal with this thing too. Still wish there was more in the background department for this to really get the full connection Mafuyu had with his middle school life and romance. Also did like how the Homosexual relationship was generally accepted by the main members of the cast and even their extended friends. I think it would have been a distraction here if it played a larger role. Really fantastic show that evades many of the more questionable aspects with this line of fiction as has traditionally been shown through the years.

Music was up there with Actors Songs Connection IMO

tumblr_pp7rhwe8hY1scr8d9o5_540.gifv

5. W'Z - I love Hand Shakers immensely and W'Z was everything I wanted from the series, Boy x Boy pairings, Girl x Girl pairings, people still being friends after losing and then working together with out lead characters to find the secrets of the world and of themselves. Really awesome music to this time around with the initial song being the best song of the series. It's just so hard to not want to dance to most of the songs in these just the same as its hard to not want to cheer for everyone on, like. Get Hype Its Your SpotLight

tumblr_ppcijp8kIF1sxmg0to1_1280.png

6. BLack Clover - The climax of the anime was was done pretty well, with some of the best music in the series given this part. Many episodes looked incredible up there with the best of the best of Boruto/Naruto/Shippuden/BLeach. Really amazing.
tumblr_pfjmqbGbjA1tt16ds_540.jpg

7. Cardfight Vanguard (2018) - The redone version of CF Vanguard series one done with modern trading card game enhancements was pretty good and different. I loved how we combined both the first series of Vanguard and the second series to give us really valuable Aichi Sendou time and Naoki Ishida. I also enjoyed seeing the matriculation of everyone into their respective high schools to really give us a Toshiki, Miwa, Morikawa, Izaki friendship/teammate thing, Kamui, Aichi, and Kourin, Misaki, Naoki, Shingo, character developments and teammates and more. Overall the plot to bridge the series worked well as well as the drama between several antagonists becoming friends, like Kamui x Crusher Kyou was the best.

Other things I loved with this series, Aichi blushing levels were incredible high, like, dude, just confess to Kai already. Cute.
d5e9b5a50a782e4ca66d2676ab88be368c28e641.gif

8. The Ones Within - I love the death game type of shows and this was one of the best. All the kids assembled, youtubers or other type of internet celebrities or just popular at school type, were all fun to hang around. I couldn't find a single person on the cast I disliked. Some I liked a ton especially with Akatsuki finding out the problems some of the characters have that they don't really bring to the surface (for example Akatsuki and his thing with making sure Anya keeps on top of his medicine and sleeping with him etc, was sweet, (totally shipping that)), but also the other characters having their own subplots and roles to serve was great too. These series always work so much better when characters are all just following the main characters order and will. Kind of wish the series gets more as though we had some plot resolved there is still much more to explore.

9. Fire Force - Most beautiful adaptation of a boys action series. Really incredible enhancements to an already incredible manga. The animators gave lots of great touchings to the environments and effects. I especially love how they made their outfits have a sort of fluorescence in the dark. Further whoever they got to do fight choreography deserves kudos and commendations. Lastly, Arthur for award of best secondary protagonist of the year. love him.

10. Beyblade Burst Turbo - It's BeyBLade, how could I not vote it. Team Valt Aoi forever. Kit was also incredible this season and Fubiki forever remains my favorite of the new cast. Valts brother Toko was phenomenal as well. Cute too.

Anime Movie/OVA Series
1. Uta no Prince Sama Maji Love Kingdom - Song so many songs in the theater! Best experience for my idols. Got teary eyed since they reflected on the multiple seasons and were all friends and everything. Awwwww.

2. Promare - Went in thinking it'd be some overrated TRIGGER thing but it ended up being their best thing ever. Galio is the cutest ship of the year, and I loved the other burning casts. Wish it got the tv series treatment too, would be fantastic. Beautiful and colorful too. Cant wait to get the BD.

3. Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel II: Lost Butterfly - Most amazing action scene on the big screen, and Dork Saber...hold me.

Honorable Mention
Stars Align
- Would have made my list if it wasn't incomplete. It had lots of good ideas but nothing was resolved, meaning, everything being so over the top and bad was just pretty unfilling and unenjoyable in its current form especially considering the plot and writing didn't like to resolve events immediately (IE Tsubasa falls down the stairs after his dead pushes him, arm breaks, games next episode...uhm what happened with him and his dad now, brothers, and mom response too???)

Sarazanmai - Would have made my list if it made Toi x Kazuki canon, like they had the matching anklets and went nowhere with that, what? Could have had more episodes and did something with the montage during the closing moments of the final battle. Still fantastic ride, would have liked less on the ReoMabu, not interested in them TBH.

Demon School Iruma Kun - Will definitely be on my list for 2020 because this is just wholesome and fun and I love kids getting the loving doting family they deserve and the friends they make because of it. Really good comedy too.

Million Arthur - Dan Chou and her companions have great chemistry and make the quest to reclaim all the lost arthurs to stop history from being altered was a fun ride. Really love the silly moments pervy ones and goofy ones. Shes so silly as well as the others. Teken is my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.