• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It took a lot of time and effort, but I really enjoyed making this list. I've been looking forward to doing so for nearly as long as I've been an anime fan, since I spent a lot of time reading Anime of the Decade (2000–2009) lists when I was starting out and always looking for recommendations. It feels a little unreal now that it's finally done. Glad to be able to share it here; thank you very much to Printer Paper 8 X 11 for running this poll on top of the AOTY one!

All images below are links to 720p screencaps.

Anime TV Series

1. Mushishi: Next Passage – A timeless masterpiece of storytelling, art, and music; Mushishi is without peer in its particular domain. Ginko, the only recurring character, travels premodern Japan helping those affected by Mushi, a mysterious form of life invisible to most people. The Mushi serve various narrative roles, both externalizing emotional phenomena and representing the relationship between humans and nature. They are alternately horrifying and a source of wonder; a cause, and solution, to different people's problems. Like life, they defy easy description, allowing Mushishi to turn its simple premise to drama, fantasy, mystery, horror, and other genres. Each episode faithfully adapts a chapter of Yuki Urushibara's manga, often panel by panel, but surpasses the original by extending the quiet moments between scenes of dialogue, immersing viewers in its world through gorgeous art and incredible background music. It's a study in economical storytelling, repeatedly crafting deeply moving narratives around characters we see for less than 22 minutes. There are devastating endings, hopeful endings, and—in the very best episodes—both at once. Steeped in Japanese folklore while speaking to universal human experiences, Mushishi exemplifies the creative potential of anime. The first season already stood among the greatest of all time, but to return after eight years with no drop in quality was an outstanding achievement in its own right.

2. Puella Magi Madoka Magica – There are anime I love more for the joy of witnessing artists at the top of their craft and anime I love more for the emotional reactions they elicit. All my favorites appeal to me on both levels, but no series is more perfectly balanced between them than Madoka Magica. It looks and sounds amazing, with an immediately recognizable design sense, just the right degree of director Akiyuki Shinbo's avant garde style, and some of the best music of Yuki Kajiura's incredible career. It unfolds with the precise pacing and structure of a really long yet invigorating film, allowing all the characters development and moments to shine. But it's Homura specifically who made Madoka Magica a serious contender for number one. I don't claim "Homura did nothing wrong": no deeply traumatized teenager without a support system is equipped to always make the right choice in such desperate circumstances. She's sympathetic for the strength of her determination—her backstory is revealed in my favorite individual episode of the decade—but she's admirable for her ability to ultimately grow from her experience (which she does in the show; don't @ me about Rebellion). Few thriller anime can equal even one of Madoka Magica's strengths; none are so good on so many fronts.

3. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – Like many fans, I started out watching a lot of worldbuilding-heavy battle anime. Brotherhood was only the fourth series I finished—the first from the 2010s. My tastes have shifted over the years, but after a recent rewatch I feel confident calling it anime's greatest fantasy epic and one of the best series of all time. More than any other anime I've seen, FMA's invented world feels real and lived in. Technical worldbuilding details account for only part of this; more important is the development given to characters from so many walks of life. Close to half the cast are involved with the military in some capacity, but original creator Hiromu Arakawa took the unusual step of telling an action-adventure story about soldiers of a genocidal military dictatorship having to face a moral reckoning. While the Elric brothers are the emotional core of the series, there are dozens of other characters with distinct arcs, any of whom could be a compelling protagonist in the right story (though only Roy Mustang is objectively best boy). There are too many cheer-worthy moments to recount, but perhaps the highest praise I can give Brotherhood is that the godawful chibi gags don't diminish its status as a classic in my eyes. That takes nigh-transcendent greatness.

4. Erased – After several years of relative disengagement from anime, watching Erased was like falling in love all over again. Satoru, an involuntary mental time traveler, finds himself 18 years in the past, just before the murders of several fellow elementary schoolers. Working from what he remembers, he tries to change events by befriending the victims so they're less vulnerable and alone. Few works in any genre so convincingly depict the emotional isolation common in abused children or the overwhelming sensation of feeling safe around others for the first time. While it's often tense and exciting, Erased's best scene is the simple but beautiful moment a child wakes up to a home-cooked meal (courtesy GOAT anime mom Sachiko) for the first time. The ending is the weakest link, but I think objections that the killer's identity was too obvious are misplaced: Erased is more interested in using its premise as a vehicle for character study than in being hard to predict. With the series' emotional climax in episode nine, the final quarter almost feels like an epilogue, though not a bad one. I'm always a sucker for stories about overcoming abuse, but Erased is told with unusual maturity, accompanied by excellent animation, a beautifully atmospheric Yuki Kajiura score, and an all-time great opening theme.

5. Ping Pong the Animation – Screencaps cannot do justice to Ping Pong. Whether or not you enjoy the art style, there's no substitute for seeing it in motion—not just the character animation, but the dynamic backgrounds, creative use of multiple angles, and superb comedic timing. It is, quite simply, one of the most visually impressive TV anime of all time, as well as my favorite story in director Masaaki Yuasa's filmography. Over eleven episodes, Ping Pong explores in depth its cast of high school prodigies and their emotional lives in and out of competition. Crucially, ping pong itself is not treated as an afterthought to the drama. Each character has their own complicated relationship with the sport as well as with other players, and the question of what sports should mean to the people who compete in them forms the thematic backbone of the series. The matches are both thrilling action sequences and crucial moments of character development, helping the show build to one of the most satisfying endings in anime despite its brief runtime. Add in the amazing music, including one of my three favorite opening themes of the decade (alongside Mushishi and Erased), and you have an instant classic I would rank even higher on a list that downplayed subjective factors.

6. Usagi Drop – At the intersection of family dramas and stories of found families lies Usagi Drop, a wholesome anime which came from space and has no connection to the identically-named manga that went disastrously off the rails in its second half. When 30-year-old salesman Daikichi learns his late grandfather had a secret illegitimate daughter, he's the only member of his extended family not to shun the girl as a source of shame. Against opposition, he takes in his six-year-old aunt, Rin, but faces an uphill battle finding a sustainable work–life balance, navigating educational bureaucracy, and building mutual trust with his newest family member. Usagi Drop is largely about the transformative effects of parenthood, but it gradually rehabilitates much of Daikichi's biological family as they come around to Rin, and also has a lot to say about the importance of close relationships we choose. The show takes a gentle approach to storytelling, focusing on the goodness the characters bring out in each other's everyday lives, perfectly complemented by the pastel art style and fluid but unflashy animation. While most episodes have little tension, that's not a flaw here. Usagi Drop remains the gold standard for slice of life and iyashikei (healing) anime in this—or possibly any—decade.

7. The Promised Neverland – Reading a synopsis of the The Promised Neverland, easily my favorite of 2019's impressive class of shounen manga adaptations, is enough to "spoil" the first episode twist, but fortunately this does nothing to make the show less exciting. On one level, Neverland has a familiar domesticity even after revealing the stakes of its story. The dawning realization that the world is often disturbing, the thrill of keeping (what you think are) secrets from adults, and dreaming up dubiously plausible plans to run away from home are all recognizable experiences for me and, I think, many others. But Neverland is as good at ratcheting up tension as any horror thriller anime out there. This juxtaposition—fighting for your life by making rope from bedsheets and hiding contraband beneath loose floorboards—is key to what makes the show so gripping. There's an equally great cast of memorable and engaging characters, particularly Emma, one of the best child protagonists in any recent media. The score, by debutante composer Takahiro Obata, is top-notch in both exciting and emotional moments. Everything comes together perfectly for a satisfying finale while leaving a strong enough hook to make the second season one of my most anticipated upcoming anime.

8. Land of the Lustrous – No studio did more to push forward computer-generated anime this decade than Orange with their magnum opus, Land of the Lustrous. Well-regarded CG anime had previously closely imitated the look of hand-drawn animation; most attempts to do something different ended poorly (Gankutsuou notwithstanding). Orange developed an innovative visual style that, for the first time, could stand alongside traditional techniques as a distinct but equally meritorious craft. Of course, it helps that Land of the Lustrous tells a great story. Most of the characters are Gems, immortal beings in a distant future, each named for the mineral their body is made from. Their existence is largely defined by fighting the implacable Lunarians, though there's ample time given for characterization and even some comic relief—the latter often at the expense of the youngest, Phos, at least in the early stages of their character development. (The Gems are agender, so the official translation uses the singular they.) The show makes extensive use of Buddhist imagery and reveals pieces of fascinating worldbuilding and spiritual concepts, but unfortunately ends on a classic "read the manga" hook. Even so, Land of the Lustrous is top-tier anime: beautifully crafted, equally adept at action and drama, with a fantastic score to boot.

9. Bloom Into You – I don't ask much of LGBT anime romances: anything that moves beyond subtext without glorifying abuse is heartening. Bloom Into You delivers this while complicating its leads' relationship in interesting ways. Yuu is (probably) demiromantic and questions whether she can love anyone. Touko has crippling self-esteem issues and asks Yuu for a pseudo-relationship on the condition she not fall in love, as being with someone who doesn't love her back allows Touko a measure of intimacy without too much guilt. This is not a healthy or sustainable dynamic, but Bloom Into You embraces the idea that love arises organically as people grow closer, rather than appearing fully formed. Both girls are changed by their time together, so their relationship must change in turn—and does, in the second half of Nio Nakatani's manga, which has yet to be adapted. The anime's abrupt non-ending cost it the top spot on my 2018 list, but I chose not to penalize it here rather than leave my favorite romance of the decade out of the top ten. Bloom Into You also deserves recognition for its art, closely following Nakatani's work, and its depiction of an adult lesbian relationship between supporting characters. A true gem even without a second season.

10. Vinland Saga – Fathers loom large in this tale of the Viking Age. Vinland Saga has no shortage of fight scenes and political intrigue, much of it circling around the conflict between Danish King Sweyn and his son Canute, but it truly shines as an intelligent and nuanced character study. The protagonist, Thorfinn, is defined primarily by his relationships with two men: his father, Thors; and Thors' killer, Askeladd. The depiction of trauma is exceptional: the teenage Thorfinn is never presented as brooding in a cool way, but rather as an emotionally broken child incapable of normal interaction and terrified of anything that distracts from his goal of revenge. But it's Askeladd who elevates the series to greatness as he becomes the closest thing Thorfinn has to a father figure. Their dynamic together, along with the gradual reveal of Askeladd's layers of personality and his own complicated family history, make him one of the most fascinating characters of the decade. Accompanied by an excellent soundtrack, the climax of the first season is better than many series finales, but for Vinland Saga is merely "the end of the prologue." If it stays anywhere near this good, it will be a shoo-in for best of the 2020s lists as well.

11. Fate/ZeroFate/stay night has a great conceit—historical and legendary figures summoned by mages fight in a secret war for a Holy Grail that can grant any wish—and hints of a fascinating larger world, but is limited by its high school setting and harem romance subplots. Thankfully, its potential was realized by Fate/Zero, which features an adult cast and far greater storytelling ambitions. After an exposition-heavy first episode, the show deftly balances a multitude of subplots and develops its massive cast of characters remarkably well in only 25 episodes, while studio Ufotable and composer Yuki Kajiura elevated the franchise to new heights of artistry. While the story is often described as nihilistic, I don't think it presents an utterly hopeless universe. Being a prequel, we know things will not end well, but Fate/Zero is more about the failure of ideals than of people. To be clear, most people fail in this series, but those who salvage some semblance of happiness do so by realizing the value in human relationships even when you can't change the world. There's no guarantee this happiness won't be snatched away, but it's still meaningful. That, to me, is a crucial message which keeps Fate/Zero from just being edgy for its own sake.

12. After the Rain – The premise of a 17-year-old girl infatuated with her 45-year-old manager attracts understandable side-eye, but After the Rain mostly avoids skeeviness to tell an understated, emotionally realistic human drama. Romantic attraction is only part of the characters' dynamic, lessening in importance as the story progresses. Much of the show is about their reasons for working in dead-end service sector jobs and the dreams they repress while there. As someone who spent years in retail without long-term goals (and briefly dated a much older manager), I found After the Rain highly compelling. It doesn't ignore uncomfortable questions about age-difference relationships—Akira, the high-schooler, seemingly wants a father figure as much as anything else—but examines them in a sensitive and nonjudgmental way. Nothing more physically intimate than hugging occurs and the show leaves the future deliberately ambiguous. I'm sure this is a different experience if it's not personally resonant, but I think quality writing can be appreciated regardless. It's also worth watching for the visuals. Wit Studio, best known for their action series, worked in brief but striking fantasy sequences while spending just as much care animating everyday scenes. In its own quiet way, After the Rain is one of the best dramas in recent years.

13. Sound! Euphonium – I was caught off-guard by Euphonium's ambition. Kyoto Animation proved their versatility a long time ago, but the promotional art seemed to suggest a music-themed moe show more than a played straight drama. While neither is inherently better than the other, I'm glad they took the latter approach with this story of a foundering high school concert band attempting to regain success in national competition. Much of what I love about Euphonium boils down to how real it feels. The beautiful background art, largely based on locations in KyoAni's hometown of Uji, and stellar animation in the band's performance scenes help give everything a sense of tangibility. The number of characters we get to know is more typical of long-running adventure series, but this breadth does not preclude introspection and significant development for the main cast. While Euphonium lays the interpersonal drama on pretty thick, I think it's a realistic, if heightened, depiction of adolescents trying to make sense of their emotions and identities at an age that's confusing for most people. The show's queerbaiting rankles, but that's only stuck with me because I got invested in the characters, and it was still heartening to get an actual conclusion to a TV anime.

14. Hinamatsuri – In perhaps the greatest balancing act of the decade, Hinamatsuri, which made me laugh more times per episode than any other comedy, also features one of the most emotional and socially conscious story arcs to be found outside of serious dramas. The premise is pure slapstick: Hina, a telekinetic girl from the future, suddenly appears in a yakuza's apartment and freeloads off him under threat of destroying his collection of expensive vases. This concept is executed well, but the depth of Hinamatsuri's cast distinguishes it from other comedies driven by characters acting like idiots and assholes. The clear standout is Anzu, another girl from the future who arrives in pursuit of Hina but finds herself struggling to get by on the streets. Her relationships with other homeless characters and her later difficulty adjusting to having a home are genuinely moving while only briefly interrupting the steady stream of jokes, all without denigrating anyone. The rest of the show remains consistently excellent. Hina herself is the least interesting character, but all the core cast receive meaningful development in the course of being stuck in humorous situations. Hinamatsuri melds its emotional and comedic sides almost seamlessly to make one of my favorite comedies in all of anime.

15. Silver Spoon – Even though it's based on a manga by Fullmetal Alchemist creator Hiromu Arakawa, I was surprised how much I enjoyed Silver Spoon. Set at an agricultural high school in Arakawa's native Hokkaido, I expected a standard high school comedy with a slight farming theme, but it became one of my favorite coming of age series. The plot has faint echoes of Only Yesterday (always an encouraging comparison!) as failed prep school student Yuugo retreats to the countryside to escape his overbearing father. While Silver Spoon bears an obvious fondness for the agricultural profession, it presents an unromanticized view of both the positives and negatives of rural life. It likewise nails the shifts between hilarity and putting its characters in tough emotional situations, with less tonal whiplash than Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Becoming more competent as he learns about farm life is an integral part of Yuugo's faltering journey towards self-respect, but his story can resonate with many different adolescent experiences. This unassuming little series, which spent much of its first episode on Yuugo's horror at learning chickens poop and lay eggs through the same orifice, turned out to be one of the most emotionally realistic and heartwarming teen dramedies in recent anime.

16. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju – Anime's answer to peak TV. Few series since Monster combine such masterful drama and characterization with so few stereotypically anime traits (one conversation in the final episode notwithstanding). Part of me thinks I should rank Rakugo much higher; though my less arthouse favorites (and the aforementioned conversation) kept it in this tier, it is a truly special series. In a story spanning some eighty years, we follow multiple generations of practitioners of the titular art form, wherein a single performer with minimal props narrates and plays all the roles in a variety of short tales. The declining public profile of rakugo is a defining concern for many characters, but for as outwardly conservative as some of them are, the show has a distinctly subversive streak. The main character, Kikuhiko, is introduced as a traditionalist elder figure, strictly in favor of the norm against female performers, but we learn that he himself used rakugo as an outlet for gender nonconformity. In keeping with the peak TV analogy, Rakugo deals with heavy subject matter and deeply flawed characters. As a human drama, it's never less than spellbinding, to say nothing of the onstage performances themselves. Breathtakingly ambitious and deeply emotional, Rakugo is among the decade's highest peaks.

17. The Eccentric Family – P.A.Works solidified their reputation this decade with original series featuring cute character designs, outstanding background art, and a thematic preoccupation with the decline of small-town Japan. (My favorite of their originals, Nagi no Asukara, just barely missed this list.) In comparison, The Eccentric Family, based on a novel by the author of The Tatami Galaxy, has an urban setting and less conventionally moe character designs, but themes of old Japan's place in new Japan remain important. The titular Shimogamo family, a down-on-their-luck tanuki clan who use their shapeshifting ability to spend most of their time in human form, are forced to navigate the internal politics of Kyoto's supernatural community while mourning the death of their father and avoiding being eaten by the ominous Friday Fellows. True to its name, The Eccentric Family is a delightfully weird show, though it may come across as weirder than intended if you're unfamiliar with tanuki folklore (see Isao Takahata's Pom Poko for a relatively quick primer). The series as a whole leans more towards comedy than drama, but the prevailing quirkiness helps the two modes blend together naturally, investing even the most whimsical elements with a surprising degree of emotional depth and maintaining a spirit of adventure throughout.

18. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai – Roger Ebert used to talk about sometimes giving higher ratings to good schlock than to objectively superior films in more prestigious genres when the former succeed at what they try to do. I thought about this while questioning why I ranked a show with "bunny girl" in the title this high. It wouldn't feature in a list of prestige dramas, but I've tried to evaluate different kinds of shows on equal footing. Rascal is sometimes criticized for its similarities to other school life light novel adaptations—there is, admittedly, a sense of unreality from having seen everything before—but I think it compares favorably to its competition. Even though it didn't invent the idea of manifesting teen angst as supernatural afflictions, its emotions feel more genuine than usual. It's easier to care about the romance when the protagonist is a decent and reasonable person, his love interest can express affection, and they have chemistry together. While Rascal is not above pandering in ways I dislike more in other genres, I think it deserves recognition as one of the best shows of its kind, telling a surprisingly mature and sometimes moving story with less fanservice and harem shenanigans than the title suggests.

19. March Comes in Like a Lion – Shows with gorgeous art, exceptional animation, and nuanced depictions of depression are what I live for in anime, yet it took me three tries to get into March Comes in Like a Lion. The story of Rei, a deeply depressed shogi prodigy, and his gradually expanding found family is unquestionably among the decade's most impressive series and has all the pieces of a personal top ten favorite as well, but it doesn't quite gel for me. While the show feels incredibly bleak at times, it knows when to include moments of respite. There are scenes that hit incredibly hard, like Rei's admission that he lets his foster sister verbally abuse him because he thinks he deserves it, but this makes witnessing the love and support he receives from other characters all the more nourishing to the soul. I think the goofy anime humor clashes with the heavier elements (not unlike Honey and Clover, Chica Umino's other major work) and the proliferation of subplots, not all of them equally interesting, leaves some important characters shortchanged down the stretch, but these complaints are outweighed by the show's positives. While I think March could have been even better, I can't talk about great recent anime without mentioning it.

20. Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun – The token yonkoma (four panel) manga adaptation on this list, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun is a bit of an outlier. Yonkoma manga tend to employ a rapid-fire comedic style in order to deliver a punchline on every page, which carries over into anime adaptations. While Nozaki-kun has more of a unifying plot to each episode than some of its peers, the series as a whole is light on character development or an overarching narrative. It became an unlikely favorite of mine largely on the strength of its premise. The titular Nozaki, a basketball-loving high schooler who moonlights as a popular shoujo romance manga artist, misinterprets his classmate Sakura's attempted love confession as a fan's request for an autograph, leading her to discover his secret and become one of his assistants. They have a cute dynamic together, though it's potentially misleading to call Nozaki-kun a romantic comedy since the attraction is one-sided and Sakura never manages to complete her confession. The show keeps things fresh with an endearing cast of supporting characters and plays with gender roles in clever ways. Its jokes are consistently funny, the upbeat opening theme never fails to make me grin, and it's a great "comfort food" anime for any number of moods.

21. House of Five Leaves – As a period piece with a samurai protagonist who does very little sword fighting, House of Five Leaves might be a hard sell for some—it's by far the most obscure series listed here—but I think it's well worth the time of anyone interested in introspective, character-driven stories. The series follows Masa, a highly skilled but socially anxious ronin, as he inadvertently becomes involved in a kidnapping ring. He decides to stick around the group, partially because its members appear to be at least slightly chivalrous thieves, but largely because he marvels at and is drawn to the self-assuredness of their leader. Despite his anxiety, Masa wants to understand people and persists in asking questions well past others' points of comfort. Compared to the multitude of anime which derive drama from characters refusing to confide in each other, House of Five Leaves provides a breath of fresh air by building its entire story around one character's insistence on expressing his thoughts and feelings, which ultimately has positive knock-on effects for the relatively repressed people around him. In the course of twelve episodes, House of Five Leaves develops its entire cast into fully-realized characters and pulls all its plot strings together into a pitch-perfect ending.

22. The Tatami Galaxy – I talk about "arthouse anime" more than I should use any term so fuzzily defined, but in a pinch I can always point to The Tatami Galaxy as a case study. Though far from his most experimental work, director Masaaki Yuasa's nontraditional visual style is a natural fit for this surreal comedy following an unnamed college student across parallel universes as he joins various student groups in search of his ideal campus life. The show, narrated by the protagonist, recounts events through a heavily subjective filter. Bicycle impounding, for example, is depicted as an international conspiracy since its consequences felt calamitous. The art reflects this too: certain characters are drawn with inhuman traits depending on how the protagonist perceives them. Beneath the elaborate staging, the depiction of a young adult repeatedly failing to find happiness because he can't give up his preconceived idea of what it should look like is an incisive critique of a very real behavior. This realness makes the show uncomfortable to watch in places, even when it's hilarious. Fortunately, as an adaptation of a single novel, The Tatami Galaxy had time for a proper ending, resolving its core theme and securing all loose story threads in just eleven episodes.

23. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – My assessment of Demon Slayer at its halfway point was that I would love it if I were still passionate about the shounen battle genre. My assessment now is that I love it anyway. Although it contains tropes I dislike, such as its passive female lead and the harasser-as-sidekick (albeit nothing on the level of My Hero Academia's Mineta), Demon Slayer excels at everything it tries to do. Of particular note is Tanjiro, now one of my favorite shounen protagonists, who provides an exceptionally empathetic heart to the series. But what makes this truly special is the animation and music. Ufotable and Yuki Kajiura did stellar work together on The Garden of Sinners and the Fate franchise, and their work here lives up to those standards. Demon Slayer features some of the best and most inventive fights you can find in a TV anime, thanks in part to Ufotable's mastery of blending hand-drawn and CG animation. A treat for sakuga lovers, the action is always well-choreographed and kept me engaged long after I would normally tune out. The water and fire effects representing different sword styles add an extra layer of beauty, reminiscent of ukiyo-e woodblock prints, to every fight scene.

24. Princess Jellyfish – The curate's egg of otaku romantic comedies, Princess Jellyfish centers on an all-female, all-NEET (Not in Education, Employment, or Training) boarding house with a strict ban on men setting foot inside. The youngest boarder, Tsukimi, is a jellyfish otaku who inadvertently upends her routine life when she brings home a fashionable woman who bought her a jellyfish from a pet store, not knowing she's a crossdressing male college student named Kuranosuke. Princess Jellyfish boasts sharp and funny writing, great romantic chemistry between the two leads, and thoughtful treatments of both bereavement and gender presentation (Kuranosuke identifies as male but conceals this so he can visit the boarding house). While Tsukimi's struggles with self-doubt and social anxiety tie into the show's humor, she's never presented as someone to be mocked. Unfortunately, the other boarders never develop personalities beyond their defining quirks, which precludes meaningful character development for them. There are a couple great characters in the rest of the supporting cast, but also a terrible subplot about a devious woman falling for the man she roofied. Nonetheless, when Princess Jellyfish is good it's really good, and it's always refreshing to see a show with a majority-female cast completely avoid fetishization and pandering.

25. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans – I hesitated to include IBO longer than anything else on this list, but it has stubbornly refused to leave my mind. The story of a group of child soldiers who rebel against their adult officers and make their own way in a post-apocalyptic solar system, IBO's greatest strength is its character writing. As a Mari Okada-written melodrama, it's subject to many of my usual complaints about her style, but Okada's handling of abuse and trauma rings very true. Horrible backstories have lasting consequences which are organically integrated into the story, in contrast to shows that shoehorn in abuse to heighten emotional stakes but don't meaningfully engage with the theme. The early episodes recall The 08th MS Team, my previous favorite Gundam, in that they follow small-timers on the periphery of greater events. Even as the scope balloons later on, IBO retains many of the day-to-day worldbuilding details and relatively hard sci-fi elements that initially drew me in. There are serious flaws, particularly with the show's antagonists, but it has one of my favorite large casts of the decade, a great mix of funny and poignant moments, and multiple top-tier opening and ending themes. That I'm still conflicted indicates how much it made me care.

Anime Movie/OVA Series

1. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya – A stunning visual masterpiece. A brilliant revisionist take on Japan's oldest folk tale and a searing indictment of the mistreatment of women in past and present society. The crown jewel in the half-century-long career of one of anime's greatest directors. The list of superlatives that can be applied to The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is nearly as long as its 137 minute runtime, though the film always retains a feeling of vitality. The story, as reimagined by writer-director Isao Takahata and co-screenwriter Riko Sakaguchi, celebrates the beauty of human connections and the importance of self-actualization. Kaguya herself embodies the pursuit of these values over those of social conformity or spiritual purity, but in the central tragedy of the film her desire to truly live chafes against the restrictions placed on her as a spiritual being in lunar society and as a woman on Earth. While the plot is broadly the same as most versions of the folk tale, Takahata's retelling is tinted with profound sadness at the title character's lack of free choice. But even within the restrictions placed on her, Kaguya at times finds joy and self-expression. This life-affirming message—"As long as you can answer back by being alive"—keeps the film from being totally soul-crushing.

Princess Kaguya was Takahata's only collaboration with composer Joe Hisaishi, who turned in some of the best work of his own highly distinguished career. Kaguya was voiced by actress Aki Asakura in a virtuoso performance which remains her only voice-acting role to date. The visual style of the film, somewhere between charcoal sketches and watercolors, makes extensive use of negative space to draw attention to the most important parts of each shot. In the film's most striking moment, the art deteriorates alongside Kaguya's emotional state, finally becoming nothing more than thick, rough lines of charcoal. Princess Kaguya is my pick for best overall anime of the 2010s, as well as my favorite anime movie of all time. We could have a very strong decade ahead of us and still not see its like again.

2. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya – A towering achievement amidst a sea of disposable franchise films based on TV anime. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was a great ride—fun, often wacky, occasionally touching—and one of my favorite series of the 2000s. Its sequel, Disappearance, is a different beast; one that effortlessly outclasses its predecessor. There are funny moments and thrilling moments in just the right places, but the film significantly deepens and strengthens the story's emotional core. It looks beneath the hijinks of the series to delve into the psychologies of Kyon and Yuki, the endless complainer and the outwardly emotionless alien, and interrogate both characters' desires. At 162 minutes, Disappearance is the second-longest anime film ever made, with an astonishing 1.2:1 ratio of pages of source material to minutes of runtime. While not fast-paced, it's devoid of filler and cleverly makes Kyon's process of self-reflection an essential part of solving the film's supernatural mystery. It's also simply a treat to get more great visuals. From backgrounds to lighting to character animation and beyond, Kyoto Animation crafted an exceptionally gorgeous and fluidly animated work, even by their high standards. Released a mere five weeks into the decade, Disappearance remains one of the most impressive and enjoyable anime of the 2010s.

3. A Silent Voice – This could have gone so wrong. The first scene of A Silent Voice makes it clear the film deals with heavy subject matter, but I've been burned by countless teen melodramas which use bullying and suicide for gratuitous misery rather than a desire to engage with those themes. It's not immediately clear if A Silent Voice will buck that trend—until the opening bars of The Who's "My Generation" kick in over the opening credits, announcing that this is a film that is bold and full of life despite following characters who struggle to place value on their own continued existence. Kyoto Animation's first standalone film, directed by wunderkind Naoko Yamada (who began her directing career with K-On! at the ridiculously young age of 24), A Silent Voice does what more anime high school dramas should aspire to: show complex emotions being resolved naturalistically, over the course of an evolving friendship, rather than by characters yelling their feelings at each other during the climax. There are a few noticeable moments of adaptational compression where supporting characters appear with relatively little introduction, but such shortcomings are minor and more than compensated for by the outstanding production values made possible by the budget of a theatrical film.

4. Wolf Children – Mamoru Hosoda is one of the most reliable anime directors in the business. He finishes a new feature film every three years, alternating between relatively small scale personal dramas and action-adventure films. His first non-franchise film, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, is one of my favorite anime films of the 2000s. Wolf Children is longer, more ambitious, and ultimately even more successful. As the story of a young mother left to raise two children on her own after the death of her werewolf lover, the film's supernatural themes and human family drama elevate each other to make for a deeply moving narrative and one of the decade's best female protagonists. I was lukewarm on Wolf Children when I first saw it at age 18, but after rewatching it this past year with more distance from my own childhood and relatively greater maturity, it was impossible to leave off this list. Hosoda has never made a bad-looking film, but Wolf Children is particularly stunning in its art and camera work, most memorably a lateral tracking shot of a school hallway which uses motion to convey the passage of years of time. The fusion of technical filmmaking prowess with emotional realism typifies Hosoda's filmography, of which Wolf Children remains, for now, the high water mark.

5. Time of Eve – Probably the smartest and most heartwarming science fiction film set in a coffee shop. In a near-future setting where androids are used for a variety of domestic tasks, the Time of Eve café is a unique space where humans and androids mingle freely. Part of what makes this film so enjoyable is the number of levels it works on. On the surface, it's the story of two somewhat shitty teenagers becoming more compassionate through their interactions with the café's clientele, while also being a thoughtful exploration of how AI might impact people's emotional lives. Moreover, the theme of struggling to understand the people around you is very relevant to strictly human relationships, and the film's treatment of discrimination can serve as a metaphor for real life issues such as the plight of migrant workers in Japan. All this and a healthy serving of comic relief are efficiently delivered in under two hours of stylish animation. The characters are sometimes a little stiff, but the integration with 3D backgrounds allows for a range of camera effects and perfectly complements the soft sci-fi aesthetic. The Time of Eve movie is a re-edited and slightly expanded version of the original 2008 web series; both versions are excellent but I narrowly prefer the film.

6. Wasurenagumo – The Young Animator Training Project has given us some excellent short films, most famously Little Witch Academia and Death Billiards, but for my money Wasurenagumo is both the highlight of the program and the best anime short film of the decade. A cautionary tale of what happens when an adult man becomes excessively attached to an adorable spider girl who springs to life from the pages of a book, this distinctly modern twist on the Jorogumo myth is, if anything, more relevant now than when it premiered. Wasurenagumo is an effective, well-animated horror comedy even if watched with no knowledge of otaku culture, but its critique of imouto and monster girl tropes makes every story beat hit harder. Your waifu may or may not moonlight as a man-eating spider, but the controversial ending of this film is likely to stick with you for a long time.

Last edited:

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
And updated until 16. I'm very confident with the placing, might change some before the deadline, but I will get the other 15 in a couple days. I need to sit out and watch those 15 I have on my mind.

Slader166

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
1. Barakamon - this series was life-changing for me, it's my all-time favorite.
1514897_Latvian_ShowMasterKeyArt_6ce60361-deff-e611-8175-020165574d09.jpg

2. Hunter x Hunter (2011) - probably my favorite shounen, at least of the decade.
1118full-hunter-x-hunter-screenshot.jpg

3. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - a classic for a reason.
FMA_rain_6856.jpg

4. Re:Zero - after a long hiatus, this series got me back into anime.
eyhhjg0wfzox.jpg

5. Mob Psycho 100 series - absolutely some of the best animation of all time, Reigen might be my favorite character ever.
Mob-Psycho-100-Season-3-release-date-Did-One-Punch-Man-Reigen-creator-ONE-leave-room-for-a-third-season-with-the-Mob-Psycho-100-mangas-ending-Anime-spoilers.jpg

6. Bakuman series - one of the most inspiring series I've ever watched.
5487-Tier04_SeriesHeaders_BAK_v2_2000x800.jpg

7. Durarara!! - seriously the best cast of the decade.
maxresdefault.jpg

8. Sword Art Online - one of if not the most influential series of the decade, basically started the isekai revolution.
AAAABUS0tODygRPvN6Ekv8edM7fDKBMYR0-ZnptNi6Oo8O4dDaOg7yfpGQMdi-COGkltQqoNq5e5g4mS43KiuLPGev2c3MfO.jpg

9. Angel Beats! - a heartbreaking comedy.
Angels-Beats-Cast-Photo-1024x576.jpg

10. Log Horizon - An interesting twist to the isekai formula.
log-horizon-season-3.jpg

I haven't seen enough this decade to make a complete list, and I'll probably change 9 and 10 before the deadline.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Anime TV Series

224928.jpg
  1. Aria series - A wonderful series that shows a peaceful lifestyle in a fictional city called Neo-Venezia. It reminds me to enjoy the small things in life and to appreciate good company. Since the city itself is based on the existing city of Venice, you can enjoy the sights and wonders with a great accompaniment of OSTs. The characters will most certainly grow on you. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

640.jpg
  2. The Monogatari series - The banter. The wordplay. Quips, wisecracks. Whatever synonyms you want to use. The Monogatari characters can talk the talk and walk the walk. Plot, story? Yes it's there. It's second to the character interactions though. And oh will they talk. How did an anime mostly filled with conversations end up so high? The credit of said achievement goes to everyone involved. The author, directors, voice actors/actresses, animators, etc. The animation studio SHAFT is known for its whimsy style easily recognizable by anime fans. This style is extremely fitting for the series. The unique presentations keep the audience engaged when the characters are really just talking. (Warning: Problematic depiction of characters in some scenes).

eec93e750b6b873f13e04a2c77d57dca1412806442_full.jpg
  3. Shirobako - If you weren't already grateful for watching anime, you will be after watching this one. Through (mostly) the eyes of our main character, Aoi Miyamori, we get to see some of the processes of what goes on to create and produce anime. Her dream is to one day produce an anime with her group of friends from their school's animation club. Will her hardships payoff? Go watch it.

poster2.jpg
  4. Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Don't be put off by the Magical Girl genre. Madoka Magica isn't as happy and sweet as the initial art might imply. The story is grand in scale. Backed up with amazing art design and we have ourselves one of the top animes of the decade.

SG001_img_base_1.jpg
  5. Steins;Gate - The first of the series is really good. Mystery, suspense. Mix in a time machine and there's Steins;Gate. Some really crazy stuff here too, although only hinted at. For the full versions of some storylines it's recommended to play the game. The anime series completes its intended storyline.

Mushishi_Next_Passage_Path_of_Thorns-596246362-large.jpg
  6. Mushi-Shi series - A really chill series, for the most part. The series is mostly centered around a man called Ginko, a mushishi, we follow him as he deals with fascinating lifeforms called mushi. These mushi come in all varieties. The series is episodic in nature with each one having Ginko, an expert on mushi, solve mysteries and incidents which may involve the mushi.

81CxUgFQFpL._AC_SX522_.jpg
  7. Nichijou: My Ordinary Life - Just a comedy. But. Heavily carried by its animation. The lengths these animators go for a single joke is insane. The humor has its up and downs, but the highs go past the stratosphere. Really funny.

Jormungand+cast.jpg
  8. Jormungand series - Story about an arms dealer and her company of quirky bodyguards. Each person has their specialty. The newest recruit is a child soldier who hates arms dealers. People love Black Lagoon (which was disappointing, imo), I think Jormungand is better of the two. Good character interactions and seeing each one of them get there time to shine makes it all the more fun.

816546022082_anime-fate-zero-complete-box-set-blu-ray-primary.jpg
  9. Fate/Zero series - The Fate series is huge. Anime wise though, the go-to has always been to watch Fate/Zero even if you don't want to watch any others in the franchise. Premise is pretty cool. Set in a modern city, mages battle for the Holy Grail using legendary heroes of folklore and yore. These heroes have quite a personality. Also, the protagonist is a mage killer. (Warning: Problematic depiction of characters in some scenes).

1a8cbe203b86e95e72c3a6d04d3fb47ad95356e7_hq.jpg
  10. Katanagatari - I don't know why this is all the way up here. It's been a while since I've watched this, but my feelings for it are overwhelmingly positive. I may just be a fan of NisiOisiN's (Monogatari Series, Medaka Box). Interesting character designs. The colors make them pop. The story isn't anything unique. An adventure to collect 12 blades. It's not the destination, it's the journey (not really). You'd think there would be a lot of action, but it's mostly banter. The action scenes are great though! Might not be to everyone's taste as unlike SHAFT, White Fox didn't stylize there dialogue heavy scenes iirc. The payoff was worth it.

11. Ping Pong the Animation - Adolescence captured in an amazingly animated gem.
  12. Hidamari Sketch series - Get yourself a nice seat cushion. Sit and relax. Enjoy the comfy atmosphere of the Hidamari Apartments. A slow starter, enoyable nonetheless. Also animated by SHAFT you can see them growing into their style.
  13. Hinamatsuri - Yakuza, psychics, vases... salmon roe? This is a story where all of their fates collide into a unprecedented festival. Seriously funny.
  14. Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu - Please don't forget her! She's Bocchi, Hitori Bocchi, you know from the anime Hitoribocchi no Marumaruseikatsu? Please be Bocchi's friend!
  15. My Love Story!! - Fluffy romance. It's so sweet and cute. My gosh was this adorable.
  16. Bloom into You - Complex relations done really well. Characters have their own circumstances and their actions are believable. It's romance.
  17. Monthly Girls` Nozaki-kun - One of the better romcoms out there. Hilarious and cute. The characters have good chemistry.
  18. Chihayafuru series - Is it Shoujo or Shounen? Who cares. It's super hype! This anime has me invested into characters who play competitive karuta, which I didn't even know existed. The good thing is how they manage to keep the matches interesting while staying grounded. Good characters. My favorite sports anime.
  19. Konohana Kitan - In a fantastical setting filled with youkai, the protagonist, Yuzu, begins her job at a high class inn. This world hides a bit of wonder. Yuzu may stumble upon them, or they may find their way to her. I got Aria vibes from this, which is a huge plus!
  20. Space Brothers - An arduous journey to become an astronaut. It's really cool seeing Mutta taking steps towards his dream. Makes you cheer him on.
  21. Hakumei and Mikochi - Another comfy anime with amazing worldbuilding. Show, don't tell (wink, wink).
  22. Durarara!! series - Baccano is probably my #1 Anime. Durarara is by the same author. The similarities are all there. The average age of characters is derfinitely lower, but that doesn't retract from it. A web of stories melting into the pot that is Ikebukuro. Shown from the POV of many interesting characters. PS, most of them are likely psychopaths/sociopaths.
  23. Daily Lives of High School Boys - Lighthearted comedy of highschools boys being, well, boys. Silly stuff guranteed.
  24. Aggretsuko - Retsuko goes through a lot. We can sympathize with her, but can't be there for her. The only thing there for her is death metal.
  25. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. series - The Japanese title is a pun. The humor might not be for everybody and there are some gratings characters, but I had a blast. No, not a psychic blast. Sigh, kick the puns out of here, esp. when the puns aren't even funny. PS, why the animes doesn't have more puns is a mystery.

Anime Movie/OVA Series

e02a797698f6e93014e14c07ea0b2f0e.jpg
  1. A Silent Voice - Rollercoaster of emotions. It hurts.
  2. The Garden of Words - Gorgeous film. My favorite Makoto Shinkai film.
  3. Puella Magi Madoka Magica - The TV series is awesome. The movies are awesome too!
  4. Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms - Cool world. It's tough being a mother.
  5. Gintama: The Movie: The Final Chapter: Be Forever Yorozuya - For the fans.
  6. Time of Eve - What if robots were human?
  7. Kizumonogatari - Needs more banter. A serious take on the prequel to the Monogatari series.
  8. Wolf Children - It's tough being a mother. You have no idea.
  9. Little Witch Academia - Movie was great! Haven't watched the TV series, but the movie was great!
  10. Patema Inverted - You're upside down. No, you're upside down! Interesting concept. Could've been better.

Honorable Mentions
  • Made in Abyss - Great world building. A sense of adventure. Though not a lighthearted adventure. It will be gruesome. The sights and treasures are a marvel, but is it worth the price? (Warning: Problematic depiction of characters in some scenes).
  • March Comes In Like a Lion series - How do I describe this story? Coming of age, drama, slice of life, I don't know. It's good. The production is incredible. The characters abnormal, but believable. It's heavy with emotions. Again, it's good, but I -don't have the capability to express why it's good.
  • Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu series - Similar to March Comes in Like a Lion. Instead of shogi, this has rakugo on the surface. Once more I'm unable to convey why I like the series. Story-wise I like Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu better than March Comes in Like a Lion, but the latter exceeds in it's presentation. Still though, both series are excellent.
  • Konosuba: God`s Blessing on This Wonderful World! series - A Hero(lol), a Goddess of Watertricks, a crazy EXPLOSION! connoisseur, and a noble masochistic♡ tank are on a misson to defeat the Demon King. They are also in debt.
  • Teasing Master Takagi-san Series - A show about a challenger, Nishikata, facing the master, Takagi. The master of tease.
  • Blast of Tempest - Good shounen. Doesn't overstretch its limits.
  • Flying Witch - Just a normal slice of life with hints of the magical if you know where to look.
  • A Place Further Than the Universe - Youth, maybe spent in grander style, but nonetheless its youth. How's a trip to the South Pole sound?
  • Rainbow - A story of guys in a rough place during rough times. That's putting it really mildly. A story of hope and hardship.
  • Gintama series - This show is at its core a comedy. Juvenile comedy at times I admit. It will be hilarious. There'll be moments of sorrow and hype. The serious arcs do battle shounen better than the more well known series. The only down side to Gintama is that it takes a bit to get you invested. The early episodes act and feel like a introduction to the cast. The investment was worth it in my case.

• A Centaur`s Life - Moral, culture, politics, etc from our world but with a demi-human twist. I heard the anime doesn't do the manga justice.
  • Amanchu! - By the mangaka of Aria. There's scuba diving. It's wonderful.
  • Attack on Titan series - Not a new concept, but done well. The vertical maneuvering equipment and the animations for it are awesome. The titans look silly. I don't need to say much, most people have probably already watched this.
  • Bakuman series - Can see a bit of what mangakas go through to get their mangas serialized. It's shounen.
  • Blood Blockade Battlefront series - Life in New York with denizens of the netherworld.
  • Bungou Stray Dogs series - Battle anime using authors of books as the characters.
  • Bunny Drop - Really good and heartwarming. Many things can be said about this anime. I will say the most important one: JUST watch the anime, DON'T look for more and all will be well.
  • Cells at Work! - Your body cells personified.
  • Death Parade - A different kind of purgatory. Welcome to Quindecim.
  • Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma series - Perceivable foodgasms. Shounen battles with cooking.
  • Girls Last Tour - The apocalypse happened. Want to take a tour of the ruined world? Sit back and relax. Pretty comfy, weirdly enough.
  • Girls und Panzer series - "Sensha-do, the art of operating tanks, which is considered a traditional martial art." if that doesn't get you interested I don't know what will. Maybe if I say that in this anime girls compete against each other in tanks.
  • Golden Kamuy series - Interesting setting. Can learn about Ainu culture.
  • Hanasaku Iroha: Blossoms for Tomorrow - Slice of life. Working at a Japanese style inn.
  • Houseki no Kuni - Just a potential of what is to come for 3D anime.
  • Humanity Has Declined - Morbid humor iirc with a cute and colorful look.
  • Interviews with Monster Girls - Demi-humans integrating into human society. High school setting.
  • K-On! series - The trendsetter of girls doing _____. Pretty not bad too.
  • Kaguya-sama: Love Is War - Two people trying to outwit each other into confessing their love for the other plus other shenanigans.
  • Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You series - Good shoujo.
  • Kyousougiga - I remember the OVA being good.
  • Laid-Back Camp - Camping with the girls. Comfy.
  • Log Horizon series - Isekai with a Support class being the MC.
  • Mob Psycho 100 series - Adolescence. Fantastic animation. Some life lessons.
  • My Teen Romantic Comedy: SNAFU series - Romcom with a cynical and jaded MC. How bad can it get.
  • Non Non Biyori series - Hanging out in the countryside.
  • One Punch Man - Same author as Mob Psycho. Super heroes. First season has great animation.
  • One Week Friends - A story about a girl who loses her memory of the past week and a boy who wants to befriend her.
  • Overlord series - Isekai in a villain's(?) POV. Gruesome stuff hinted at. You can see the animation getting worse with each season. It still has its premise going for it.
  • Pop Team Epic - Watch if you like the memes.
  • Re:CREATORS - Interesting premise. Could've been executed better, but was enjoyable.
  • ReLife - I can sympathize with what the characters are dealing with. A good watch.
  • Restaurant to Another World - Isekais are a guilty pleasure and this is one of my favorites. There's a door to the otherworld. Other-worlders might find said door in happenstance. The door leads them to The Western Resturant Nekoya. It's fascinating to see the characters' reactions upon finding/entering the door and eating the "exotic" dishes served. Most of them have their circumstances which gives you pieces for world building. I've read the original novels and while it may not be to everyone's taste, I've certainly enjoyed it.
  • Sabagebu! Survival Game Club! - Girls and survival games. You get what you see. Lighthearted.
  • Sakura Quest - Countryside tourism and revival. Could've been better, still might be worth a watch.
  • Silver Spoon series - High school slice of life in a agricultural high school.
  • Snow White with the Red Hair series - Good shoujo in a fantasy setting.
  • Sound! Euphonium series - Brass band anime. Pretty good. The instruments are ultra shiny.
  • The Great Passage - The process of publishing a new dictionary. It's way better than it sounds.
  • Tonari no Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time - What antics can be done in the confines of a school desk? Anything and everything.
  • Violet Garden - Amazing visuals and an interesting story.
  • Welcome to the Ballroom - Ballroom shounen. Cool. Songs get repetitive, but still cool.
  • Zombie Land Saga - Best idol anime.

Pretty sure I missed some animes that should've been mentioned, but I need to cut this off. This was hard. I thought this was a Top 35 for some unknown reason, so that explains why my honorable mentions are split. The ones on top are my 26-35. The ones at the bottom are listed in alphabetical order.

Anyways I'm done!

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It's how it should be done according to the OP.
Says at least one season so 3 episodes is kinda cheating. We're talking about anime of the decade not bulk of the series in mid-late 00s + 3 20 minute specials in 2015.

I would put Aria in my top 10 easily but I think it's a stretch.

As for Nodame, it would technically be allowed but I'm struggling to decide if I should include the series in my list as I feel it's more known for the previous decade and kind of just finished in the early months of 2010.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Says at least one season so 3 episodes is kinda cheating. We're talking about anime of the decade not bulk of the series in mid-late 00s + 3 20 minute specials in 2015.

More about the 'any OVA Series that released in Japan between 2010 to 2019' part. And since you have to bundle Series/Franchises together you can't just vote for the OVA series.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Aria having 3 specials drop in 2015 doesn't really count when 99% of the series is previous decade. Heck I'm considering omitting Nodame Cantabile from my list even though its final season aired in 2010.

And those three episodes are hardly the best of the series. I mean Avvenire is fine, but it's not like AOTD worthy I don't think.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Nichijou
  2. Barakamon
  3. K-On
  4. Bloom Into You
  5. Kill la Kill
  6. Space Dandy
  7. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
  8. Space Patrol Luluco
  9. Beyond the Boundary
  10. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
  11. Tamako Market

Pierru

Dec 12, 2017
TV Series/OVA:
  1. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - The perfect TV show for me. Perfect length, perfect animation, perfect story, perfect characters in both sides. Bones were out of reach at that time and to think they kept the same high end animation level for 64 episode deserve all the respect even for the next decade. The story is incredibly well told, the show switch easily between light atmosphere and some really horrific moments, the themes are for some of them quite dark for a shônen (for instance the chimera story or the reason why the brothers learned alchemy) , all the characters are useful will have their own moment at one time or another, the action scenes are f-ing awesome and the escalation to the multi climax is pretty extraordinary. One of the only show of 50+ episode that I can re-watch several times.
    TnHGq6V.jpg
  2. Gintama - What can I say… I just love Gintama, no matter the year, the arc, the image format, the black and white/color, the episode budget or the shogun's hairstyle. Crazy how unpopular Gintama is but hey, it's your loss.
    YYwCYWc.jpg
  3. Hunter X Hunter 2011 - Ok it's not as perfect as FMA Brotherhood and its manga is not completely adapted yet (one day…Maybe). But for 148 episodes, the show delivers constantly an exciting narration, many unexpected twists, some smart and great battle scenes, funny jokes, lots of great characters, memorable villains and finally, a shitload of inventiveness, coming from the genius mind of Togashi.
    79pxCZ1.jpg
  4. Nichijô - One of the 3 only shows where I almost died from laughing (the two other ones were Gintama and Excel Saga). Maybe one of the funniest show ever, carefully crafted by one of the best animation studio, visually speaking. Love for Nichijô will never die.
    tumblr_m762aznWJD1rtsj82o1_500.gifv
  5. Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt - Straight from the 90's atmosphere and immediate action, violent and nihilist as hell (even darker than War in the Pocket), it was really a glorious surprise. Two anti-heroes as protagonists, in a nonsensical duel, like a Enemy at the Gates into space. Fantastic OVA, beautifully crafted.
    VO4e76k.jpg
  6. Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru - Shinbo X Shaft at their top game, straight from the great continuation of Natsu no Arashi the year before. The art to transcend a simple concept into something incredible. I really miss the "old" Shinbo, but I still have to see Sangatsu no Lion.
    aERzhnk.jpg
  7. Mob Psycho 100 - From all the recent animes I've watched, this one really remarkable. Not only the first season was awesome but the second one too. Animation quality is stellar (Thanks again, Bones) and the complete craziness of the characters and story
    vzMaENx.gif
  8. Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Shinbo, Urobuchi and Kajiura on the Magical Girl genre, yes ? YES. The results are incredible, it completely steer against the usual clichés and transform an innocent story into something… Different (I prefer to not spoil anything, just in case). Fantastic show overall.
    psFtgeV.jpg
  9. Kekkai Sensen - I'd add Beyond as well. Some kind of X-Men with blood techniques, fighting aliens or vampires in a New York split between two universes is my kind of ideal pitch. And the studio is Bones so, well, no need to mention the visual quality (spoiler: it is stellar)
    Zy7677R.gif
  10. Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis - This action packed fantasy show with awesome battle scene and a great bromance (Favarrooooo !) came out of nowhere. It raised the bar so high that except for Fate/Something, not many recent shows can compares to it action wise. Unfortunately the second season is subpar but is still a nice "substory".
    3e5tBXB.jpg
  11. Steins;Gate - Love time travel stories and there are not enough of them in anime in my opinion. Here, the apparent simplicity and minimalism of the settings (basically a lab and a very few other places) mislead the complexity of the story, as the different loops are exposed. While some episodes are quite depressing, the overall mood, dialogues and characters are quite funny, the pace is really good and the narration that unveil the mysteries one by one is top tier. EL PSY CONGROO !!!! La Yohda Stasella !
    hx6WYZb.jpg
  12. Hyôka - For me the best "serious" series from KyoAni (their masterpiece being Nichijô). The animation beautifully crafted and the relation between the protagonists and their emotion is remarkably accurate.
    HvILKum.jpg
  13. Last Exile Ginyoku no Fam - I think I even preferred it than the first season, which was already excellent. But man this one, the main characters (Dio <3), the awesome dogfights, the huge strategical sky battles, the universe… Everything clicked for me.
    AYJCsYA.jpg
  14. Shigurui: The manga was crazy (like...Koroshiya-1 crazy) and the adaptation is faithful. Love those stories where everyone's a villain or a psychopath, in a merciless world. Great adaptation anyway, good to see Madhouse back in great shape sometimes.
    BkVwvax.jpg
  15. Jojo Part 2: Battle Tendency - My favorite arc of Jojo, my favorite Jojo (Joseph -Oh my GOD! - Joestar) voiced by my favorite seiyû (Sugita -Gintoki -Tomokazu). Nothing went wrong for this adaptation and despite the minimalist approach/low budget of the animation sometimes (many freeze frames, even complete copypasta of some pages from the manga), the atmosphere is perfectly done. I didn't put the Stardust Crusaders arc in my top as it doesn't worth the top tier 1993 OVA, even if it's still a decent adaptation.
    P9QY7gs.jpg
  16. Kimetsu no Yaiba - I really loved it (especially the family arc) but I'm careful when shows are still at their first season. I didn't dig the manga visual but loved the anime adaptation for some reason. But wow, what a season. Even if the true climax was at a few episode from the season end, the show is really well done from the beginning to the end. And it also got one of the best OST of the decade so, yeah.
    CIKGCSP.jpg
  17. Kill la Kill - Nekketsu: the show. Although a bit weaker than the previous Imaishi works in terms of pace and narration, even for some of his over the top signature action scenes, it was quite an original show and damn entertaining to watch. With Promare recently, I like the vibes from the Trigger studio, with this pretty cool "anything goes" way of working and stories.
    jqHnxjG.gif
  18. Lupin the 3rd Part IV: The Italian Adventure - A descent recent Lupin III series (which is already a big thing). Of course far from the outstanding second season but quite at the same level as the third one. To set the story in Italy and to cast the main antagonist as Leo de Vinci were some good ideas. The overall quality is pretty good and it introduce some interesting new characters (Nyx and his sonar detection) . Also, the opening is the best OP of the decade, hands down.
    taHJUHM.jpg
  19. Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin - Another faithful adaptation of an interesting story (not so "fun" fact: it was released at the same time as the real Charles Aznavour death). Good visuals and some very good key scenes (the escape of Casval or the huge space battle of the Loum episodes). A "begin story" which was pretty enjoyable.
    H3cl8AV.jpg
  20. Mazinkaizer SKL - At the time of its release, it looked like another symbolic last stand of this wonderful license, like was Shin Mazinger Shôgeki! Z-Hen the year before (where is the season two you cowards ! It should be illegal to end with a twist like that). This one was way too short but intense. I really miss Gô Nagai good adaptations these days. (I hated Yuasa's Devilman to be honest)
    b3kjOpK.jpg
  21. Durarara!! - Great characters relations and singular atmosphere & story. Those were the kind of anime that were cool.
    lzSpbzD.jpg
  22. Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Long life Standalone Complex and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] GIG. You were the best of the best but you ended eventually. Far from being compared to its glorious former series, I didn't hate Arise for some reason. It even reminded me sometimes what I liked in the original GITS TV Shows, in the glimpse of a dialogue, character interaction or a battle scene. Was a descent fix after the death of the series. Now, when I see Kamiyama waste his skills with a boring cell shaded Ultraman and Cyborg 009, it pains me a bit that he didn't continue on the GITS license. (I also fear a little bit for Blade Runner: Black Lotus. And Aramaki was a great mecha designer but as a director… Mmmh)
    UaV5Y85.jpg
  23. Ajin - It's one of the only cell shading tv show that I actually enjoy, mostly for every scene Satô appear in (one of the best villain of this decade). Also, it constantly jostle the moral compass with its characters, especially the ones that are supposed to be the good guys.
    vrd8odW.gif
  24. Inferno Cop: Just because he forced him to use his gun
    QUHUWfB.jpg
  25. Yoshiwamushi Pedal - Maybe the only sports anime I'll put, as the others tends to bore me pretty quick with their redundancy. But this one takes one of the less interesting sport (ama ofc) to make it fascinating. It even made me watch the Tour de France for more than 30 minutes once, just to check the different techniques. And that's quite the achievement.
    0q9hK0x.jpg

Movies
  1. Redline
    5EEkTRD.gif
  2. Kaguya Hime no Monogatari
    W7hI7wX.gif
  3. Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
    dtdQG5N.jpg
  4. Promare
    ji1FsX5.jpg
  5. Steins;Gate: Fuka ryouiki no Déjà Vu
    Vmmquli.jpg
  6. Miss Hokusai
    Sht87fE.jpg
  7. Kaze tachinu
    S9sHRsi.jpg
  8. Hunter x Hunter: Phantom Rouge
    HuvmCKM.jpg
  9. Gintama: The Movie: The Final Chapter: Be Forever Yorozuya
    HnBNlOl.jpg
  10. Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie
    5xM6RS7.jpg
Honorable mention TV Series/OVA (not sorted):
  • Guilty Crown
  • Durarara!! X2
  • Ben-to
  • Uchû Kyôdai
  • Little Witch Academia
  • Pop Team Epic
  • Deadman Wonderland
  • Kaiji Hakairoku Hen
  • Garo : Honô no kokuin
  • Suisei no Gargantia
  • Macross Delta
  • Arakawa Under the Bridge
  • Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai

EDIT: Wait, we can choose Mushi-shi as well ? Thought this was too old for this decade (if not it's my numero uno...). Same for Durarara!!
EDIT: Done, I won't edit anymore. =)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
1. Mob Psycho 100 - Sublime animation, lovable characters, completely inverted tropes, and a heart of gold. Anime of my lifetime.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
I'm only putting my top for each as it would take forever to sort out a top 25 and 10. I'm terrible at ranking things.

Series

1. Tatami Galaxy

Love the themes, and visual presentation. I think another Yuasa show will do better, but this is my personal favorite because it resonates with me.

Film

1. The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Just an absolutely beautiful film. In the running for my favorite animated film ever, not just of the past decade. Isao Takahata truly left us with his magnum opus, and that's saying a lot for the guy who gave us Grave of the Fireflies.

Last edited:

Heh

Dec 12, 2017

As for Nodame, it would technically be allowed but I'm struggling to decide if I should include the series in my list as I feel it's more known for the previous decade and kind of just finished in the early months of 2010.

tbh, I wasn't sure if Aria counted or not. Pretty sure it's not going to be near the top for most people's list. I just wanted to give it some visibility, it deserves it. Another series I wasn't sure what to do with was FMA: Brotherhood. It only came to mind after I finished my list and read through some others. There's no way I'm going back thinking where to place it. Was hard enough as it was.

EDIT: Now that I read the eligibility again, OP specifically names FMA: B. Must've missed it. Oh well.

And those three episodes are hardly the best of the series. I mean Avvenire is fine, but it's not like AOTD worthy I don't think.

I can agree to that. I'm usually a sucker for epilogues (where are they now episodes). Still, I was grateful for more Aria. And since a series is a entry it deserves a spot at the top of my list.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
1.Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Series: The greatest story we ever experience is our own life. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju is a show that captures the story of a storyteller, from his early childhood to his remaining legacy. We see a single man's life from a penniless cripple to an old pillar of a dying art. Along the way we get to experience his triumphs, failures, joys, and unimaginable grief. The stories he and his peers deliver along the way forming an ever expanding tapestry of experience, often resonating with the events of his life, often moving us to tears in their almost prophetic delivery. Rakugo Shinju is a show about storytellers, but the story it tells is about a life, and we as an audience must face this life and realize how we are on a journey that may have different characters, setting, plot, and ending but one that has been traveled before. The main takeaway is that life is something that we bear, but learning from those that came before use, we can ease that burden and take control of our journey in telling our greatest story. Rakugo Shinju is a show that shouldn't exist in our anime market, a slow drama with no action, the fact that it does is a blessing, the fact that it is the best show it could have been is a miracle. It is my best anime of the last 10 years.

2. Ping Pong the Animation: Emotion is at the heart of how a work of art can affect us. As an art form animation has the advantage of being free to warp reality into whatever shape it needs to convey and elicit emotion to the viewer. Masaaki Yuasa is a master of using animation to not only deliver compelling characters, but to convey their feelings and bring them to life. Ping Pong is unorthodox and exaggerated in its presentation, but never abstract, every shot is carefully designed to elicit something that can be felt but usually remains unseen. The early presentation of unexplained imagery leaves us compelled to find more about the characters, how they came to be, and where they intend to go by overcoming the challenges they encounter. It is a masterpiece of storytelling, not because of an original plot, but because the story becomes an experience unlike any other

3. Sarazanmai: it's rare to have an anime that has something to say about the mere act of living and do so in a way that can stir something within us. Sarazanmai seeks to ask us to evaluate how we connect with others, where we fail in doing so, when we should stop, and where we should begin. It's a masterful exercise in visual cues to maximize impact. The show also pushes the envelope of LGBTQ+ representation, with the second to last episode serving as a massive repudiation to those that would seek to censor queer relationships in media. The show exposes us to the pain of connecting but never gives up on the idea of doing so, in the inherent humanity of doing so.

4. Run With the Wind: This show has changed me as a person. Where most sports anime try to inspire through growth in search for an ultimate victory, facing ever growing challenges, Run With the Wind seeks to ask us to dig within ourselves for that inspiration. The diverse cast are but archetypes that anyone can relate to and act as mirrors to the watcher. Why would anyone go through so much? Struggle so hard, knowing that in the end victory is not possible? By the end, each character has to answer that for themselves, like running, a solitary decision, but one that can be influenced by those who believe in the you that could be. "Do you like to run?" If the answer is no, then ask yourself why, and realize that there's rarely an excuse. Replace liking to run with anything and that is the message the show seeks to deliver. I have not missed a single day of running since the show aired, I don't plan on stopping. If there's something in your life that you keep running away from, give this show a watch; it will probably make you stop and begin sprinting in the other direction.

5. Mawaru Penguindrum : This show tackled destiny in so many ways. All the characters are trying to wrestle with who they are and what they want to be. Often their hopes dashed, often bearing more than anyone should. Finding a place and a destination in life is the message of this show. The way that many seek out a easy way to change their futures and pasts is at odds with the material emotional cost of that desire. I cried several times in this show, what a fantastic cast, and such a melancholic and yet satisfying ending, in the same line as Cowboy Bebop and Utena. This show also cover so much more it would take too much space here!

6. Mob Psycho 100: A crowning achievement of what can be accomplished with animation. Incredible action sequences, beautiful art direction, a perfect meld of animation and storytelling. Mob's story is relatable and emotionally rich. The way his powers make him unique and yet his only wish is to be a normal kid is explored perfectly. The supporting cast is layered and interesting and make Mob's journey feel alive. This show is a visual treat but the fact that it ends up being so emotionally poignant makes it truly special.

7. A Place Further than the Universe: The thesis of this show is that we should make the most of our youth. The journey that our main cast goes through, is one about self-discovery and growth, where their shared experiences together propels them to change their perspective on life, and to make every second count. It's a powerful and emotional tale that tackles joy and loss with utmost tact. The last set of episodes moved me to tears, not of joy, or sadness, but a complex and powerful emotion that I do not think can be put into words. It's an inspiring tale that everyone should see.

8. Attack on Titan Series: An explosive and deeply political story that seeks to explore the complexity of war at the most human level. Attack on Titan builds an incredible world, full of impressive imagery and fantastical elements, but it is seldom interested in those elements; instead focusing on the human aspect of its characters. It's a show about loss leading to animosity, hate, and war without ever losing sight of the humanity behind all of it, the grayness that drives us to such cruelty. I do not know if the show will be able to offer any answers about this ugly side of humanity, but the dialogue it has sparked will resonate with anime watchers for many years to come.

9. Yuri On Ice: As a gay man finding media that can portray gay relationships in a respectful, human, and normalized way is a tall order. Yuri on Ice was the first anime I ever saw that made me feel that Anime could tell these stories. Yuri on Ice is a beautiful show about ice skating, but it is also a show about self-confidence, sportsmanship, and healthy personal growth. It is also the first sports anime I ever watched, I would have never imagined that it would lead to me becoming a fan of the genre.

10. Chihayafuru: A show about a sport that is only played in Japan, is difficult to understand, and has limited appeal. It sounds like a snooze fest, but it is one of the most intense and emotional shows out there. It is a show with an incredible cast that feel alive. It is also a show that is directed and story boarded to perfection, making every match an incredible and unique experience. Unlike most sports anime, Chihayafuru allows its characters to breathe and have depth to their life outside of the sport, their friendships given time to organically develop and be more than team members.

11. Anohana: A beautiful story of friendship and grief. It's a tale of moving on after encountering loss, without dismissing how that loss changes us as people. It makes me cry every single time.

12 Space Ship Battleship Yamato: 2199: A masteroiece of space opera, just so good on so many levels. Thing is more hype than most shows.

Last edited:

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
tbh, I wasn't sure if Aria counted or not. Pretty sure it's not going to be near the top for most people's list. I just wanted to give it some visibility, it deserves it. Another series I wasn't sure what to do with was FMA: Brotherhood. It only came to mind after I finished my list and read through some others. There's no way I'm going back thinking where to place it. Was hard enough as it was.

It was totally be at the top of my list if we were talking about last decade, I love Aria.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
MLtoJYP.jpg

1. Mawaru Penguindrum - The one time Ikuhara managed to free himself from the shackles of episodic repetition and insane and inane characters&relationships. Best OST, best openings, best direction, best ... everything. Nearly. Each and every single episode is a treat.
  2. Fate/Zero - The one good Fate thing for which, given all the other entries from the franchise, we are probably paying for to this day to balance the karmic scales and shall continue to do so for a long time still.
  3. Tatami Galaxy - An episodic series that astounds with its style, finds novelty in its repetitive premise and manages to tie and finish it all with one of the finest ribbon bows ever.
  4. Arakawa Under The Bridge - Shaft's masterpiece - yet unsung. Not only are the comedic bits consistently on point, the show manages to wrap them around an actual and quite touching character arc.
  5. Kyousougiga - Myoue <3. This falters a bit in its ending stages but it's lovable cast, amazing first half and technical execution make it still a comfortable choice.
  6. Nichijou - It admittedly took me a while to "get" it and even then there were some sketches that left me in profound state of "????" but Nichijou's love of absurd and extensive cast allows it to not only be a spiritual sequel to Camus' works but also to deliver an experience that is varied, deliciously weird and raucously funny, all of it wrappedin a stunning KyoAni graphics package.
  7. Madoka Magica - It's Madoka.
  8. Katanagatari - Nisio's many talents and few flaws put on full display but unlike Mono, kept brief and tight. Absolutely superb artstyle and designs on top of that.
  9. Steins;Gate - Slow to get out of the start blocks but a well thought out and tightly written time travel drama with some quite gut wrenching moments.
  10. Mahoujin Guru Guru - One of the finest comedies in the entire medium. I could gush about it on and on but it all just comes to extremely likeable cast, executing funny jokes at a frantic pace, wrapped up in great art direction and storyboarding that ably mask the not so big animation resources. And in the odd moments in which it isn't firing a barrage of quips at you, it packs a heart that belies its comedic roots.
  11. March Comes in Like a Lion - Perhaps Shaft's swan song but what a way to go if so. The three distinct parts of the show; the shogi, the SoL bits and the character drama mix surprisingly well, offsetting each others potentially weak parts and making sure things don't get too heavy or too rote for any prolonged period of time. With some striking art direction, nice backgrounds, restrained yet unmistakably Shaft approach in storyboarding and Hashimoto doing, yet again, godly things with the OST this adaptation is takes proper care of the strength of the source material. The one sticking point is frequently the humour which frequently clashes with the rest by being too loud, tone deaf and not "fun" at all but in the overall picture it is but a small blemish.
  12. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - It's been years. Both since it aired and since I watched but despite the passage of time this is, sadly, still unmatched as far as battle shounens go and really, almost without a rival who can even stand in the same ring without embarrassing himself.
  13. Space Dandy - One of the absolute animation standouts of the decade with a decent comedic material underneath it.
  14. House of Five Leaves - A mellow, grounded samurai drama that doesn't rely on swings of katanas but on it's character work and some surprising destinations it leads it to.
  15. Mushishi Zoku Shou - Honestly, I don't remember that much from it other than it being a slight stepdown from S1 but that would still make it better than most.
  16. Bungou Stray Dogs - To my mind this is the finest battle shou/sei - nen of the past half a decade and more. Igarashi at the helm showcases his many admirable directorial qualities and leverages admittedly fairly standard source material into something more.
  17. Tsuritama - Best fishing with aliens anime.
  18. Daily Lives of High School Boys - Not particularly accomplished in terms of visuals but superb comedy nonetheless.
  19. Love Lab - Loveable and superbly well animated comedy that bites off just the right amount of plot to handle within it's limited, manga ad runtime.
  20. Haikyuu - Just a well animated and executed sports show with likeable cast and fairly simple but maybe because of that, believable drama bits. Admittedly the material became pretty thin by the last season.
  21. A Place Further Than The Universe - A very nicely put together show that thrives on its likeable cast and their superb, serious or comedic, interactions while still offering a tale of coming to terms with loss with surprising amount of depth.
  22. Shin Sekai Yori - While from what I remember, this did have a myriad of issues, it's intensely unique concepts behind it's world building and "magic" and where it goes with those, as well as the central thought behind it makes perhaps one of the kind. It's a rare series that doesn't pamper its audience and delivers hard punches that stem less from going Red Wedding on its cast and more from grappling with some uncomfortable truths about human nature.
  23. Star Driver - The Utena of our times. Now with robots. Also somehow the best mecha anime of the decade though no m stan will dare to admit it. I feel like the farther I'm from this series the fonder I look at it. Maybe it's that amazing ending that allows me to glide above the mess that precedes it. But hey this has best mecha designs and best mecha action ever. Which is to say, the robots punching other robots parts are amazing and what more could you possibly want from a show like this ?
  24. Gargantia - Uro delivers yet again.
  25. Tanaka-kun is Always Listless - A quite delightful show with fun cast, impeccable comedic timing, amazing lead-ins into openings and the best eyecatches in the history of eyecatches.
Honorary mention:
  • Monogatari - A sprawling series with plenty of both good and bad as well as a bit of a whimper ending but there's enough quality here from both Nisio and Shaft to still get a spot here. (Or it would have had I not remembered Sangatsu exists)
  • Sagrada Reset - This is very much a honorary mention indeed, since the show has plenty of problems but I want to use this chance to give this diamond in the rough some spotlight since, it's exactly this type of mentions in AOTY thread that swayed me to give it a chance in the first place. For all it's technical issues, it sports a pretty smartly written and quite unique story, an actually reasonable antagonist and some well thought stratagems, all of which in the end, more than deliver the goods after the initial long setup.
  • Kuchuu Buranko/Trapeze - An uniquely visualized episodic series that in it's own quirky way, delves into some aspects of Japanese society but without bashing you over the head with it.
  • Thunderbolt Fantasy - It's not an anime no matter how much you squint your eyes and this way I can pack above all the shows I want .

-------------------------------------------

Movies:

1. Harmony - Honestly, it's been years since I've seen any of the movies on this list and I don't exactly recall a whole lot from them but Harmony always stuck with me. It is very much a flawed project but it's also a rare instance of an anime film that treats it's sci-fi setting and the issues it raises in a serious manner and isn't afraid to go places. Bitter places. The trappings of somewhat noir formula; the intrigue and the lone investigation and many a fever dream is something that always resonates well with me and this was no different.
  2. The Tale of Princess Kaguya
  3. Miss Hokusai
  4. Madoka Magica: Rebellion
  5. Wind Rises

Honorary mention: Children of the Sea - An absolutely eyegasmic experience but I just can't justify putting it on the list with this script. :(

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I keep on forgetting that I was meant to report this thread and edit this thread to push back the Deadline to June 30th...I guess I'll do that now...a month after I stated said fact in the AOTY result thread.
Oh, I was wondering whether that was still a thing. But it's good that you didn't do this until now since the looming deadline finally motivated me to actually pen something.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Okay, making the top 15 will be complicated and this gives me time to think and actually make a decent top 15...

jonako

Oct 29, 2017
I'll edit this list in the future with descriptions but for now:

1. Space Battleship Yamato 2199
2. Jojo's Bizzare Adventure
3. Tatami Galaxy
4. Mob Psycho 100
5. Ping Pong
6. Fate/Zero
7. Shirobako
8. Hyouka
9. Konosuba
10. Puella Magi Madoka

Movies
1. Wolf Children
2. Your Name
3. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MPOwpO1l.jpg
1. Ping Pong the Animation - Ping Pong is 11 episodes long. The show contains over 15 ping pong matches, 2 entire tournament arcs, and still manages to fully develop a cast of around 11 main characters, giving every one of them a full and compelling character arc. It's a character-driven drama that understands the genre doesn't have to be slow or long-winded or boring.

This clearly shouldn't work and yet Ping Pong pulls it off without ever feeling rushed. No other anime I've seen is as good at telling so much with so little. No show even comes close. There's scenes in this show that are only a couple of minutes -- or sometimes even seconds -- long and still manage to create more of an impact than entire episodes of any other anime. Ping Pong is capable of completely redefining a character over couple of seconds. It's capable of completely crushing your heart several times in a single minute. It's capable of introducing a character, immediately making him play a 2 minute ping pong match and turning him into a fan favorite before that's even over. It's unthinkable that any of this should work, and yet Ping Pong pulls it off every episode.

There's nothing else like this show out there. I can't imagine there ever will be.

It helps that everything else about the show is spectacular as well. Yuasa is clearly a directing god, the music is among the all-time greats, and the animation is spectacular. The Ping Pong matches in particular have so much movement and so many subtle character expressions that they are always a joy to watch.

kx24fZEl.jpg
2. Gintama - There's two things I dislike about Gintama - the first 20 or so episodes aren't very good and there's a point late into its run where some of the staff got shuffled around, heavily impacting the quality of the show. This still leaves, idk., over 200 episodes of absolute hilarity. I don't know what makes this show work so much better than any other anime comedy but I know that I loved watching it way too much to put it any lower on the list. There's just something about having a show where you know the next episode will 100% make you laugh for hundreds of episodes.

52xSa4Ml.jpg
3. Devilman Crybaby - There's nothing else out there like Ping Pong, but Devilman Crybaby is probably the closest there is. It's another show directed by Yuasa and many of the things that make Ping Pong so great are still there - awesome music, a mix of action and interesting characters, and unique animation. It never reaches the same heights as Ping Pong and the apocalyptic tale of demons and violence isn't nearly as compelling but it's still an incredible show regardless.

T66e1EQl.jpg
4. Flowers of Evil - I don't get how an anime like this can exist. Everything about it is the opposite of what anime usually is.

There's the awesome rotoscoped animation, constantly delivering intricate character animation. There's the distinctly non-anime voice direction. There's the distinct directorial style that isn't afraid of slowing things down to deliver a strongly oppressive atmosphere. There the story that tackles themes like deviancy, alienation, and perversion in a way that other anime don't. All of this makes for a show that's like no other anime out there. It pulls it all off incredibly well.

Obviously, anime fans seemingly hated the hell out of it and we'll never get anything like it ever again.

uXieGDfl.jpg
5. Attack on Titan - What a wild ride. This starts off as an edgy show about humanity trying to survive in a world filled with man-eating titans. It's mostly pretty dumb (in a good way, mind) and manages to be a ton of fun thanks to some great action scenes and a cool setting.

And then season 3 rolls around and the show suddenly becomes awesome. It starts developing the supporting cast which ends up completely stealing the show. The story also takes several insane turns and becomes much more intriguing thanks to several huge revelations it had been setting up beforehand. And the action becomes even better. All in all, the show's a perfect mix of action, suspense, and mystery.

uctd8e2l.jpg
6. Mob Psycho 100 - What initially appears to be just another boring action show about a kid with superpowers turns out to be a touching story of personal growth and self-improvement featuring some of the best characters in anime.

Plus the animation is constantly mind-blowing. That helps too.

ket2Yjnl.jpg
7. Land of the Lustrous - People like to praise this as "the anime that shows 3D anime can be good". I think that's rubbish - there's plenty of other 3D anime that are good. Instead, I love the show for its writing. It manages to create a deeply fascinating world focused on anthropomorphized gemstones that is filled with compelling mysteries. The main character also displays some intriguing character growth that nicely rounds up the whole thing.

It would likely be higher up if it was actually finished instead of ending just when things were starting to get really good, but that's just how it is with manga adds I guess.

IPeMl6Sl.jpg
8. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - This show gets a lot of negativity for its weak story. Personally, I was too distracted by the glorious mecha action to care. Sometimes, I'm just in the mood to see giant robots blow the hell out of each other, and this show managed to scratch that itch better than anything else out there. With mechanical animation being increasingly relegated to 3D these days the show also manages to be a good reminder of just how impressive mecha action can be when done in 2D.

VViHHxNl.jpg
9. Gundam Build Fighters - More giant robots blowing the hell out of each other, except this time it's actually an elaborate add for Bandai's line of Gundam plastic models. The action isn't quite as well-animated as Unicorn (it's stil great though) but the show makes up for it with a large cast of extremely likeable characters.

And it actually worked as an add too, even if it omits a lot of the of the fun aspects that come with building plastic models.

1fOyzQYl.png
10. Concrete Revolution - I feel like this show was made specifically for me. That's impossible, of course. Anime as an industry is incredibly commercialized and shows seemingly only get greenlit because the companies funding them know exactly which large group of anime fans they are targeting the show towards.

So this show just leaves me baffled. Is there really a large group of people who like superhero shows, mecha, non-linear storytelling, a post-WWII-Japan setting, a banger of an ED, and, uh, ski jumping? And also consistently amazing animation with awesome action scenes. If there are, can we get more shows like this please?

wWXINLll.jpg
11. Kaiji - This is the most boring show ever made. There's an arc in the second season where you're mostly just watching someone play pachinko (aka the most boring thing ever invented) for over 5 hours. Five hours.

It's also somehow completely engrossing from start to finish. I have no idea how that's possible. Nobuyuki Fukumoto is clearly awesome for pulling off something like this.

It does make me wish I could vote for Akagi as well. That would easily be in my top 10.

YPpGdhGl.jpg
12. From the New World - I don't know how I feel about this show. It's dystopian sci-fi world is highly intriguing in a way that no other anime is. But then most of the show is just about terrible people trying to rationalize how clearly evil stuff is totally justified with complete bullshit, and they never get called out on it by anyone. It's infuriating. It makes everyone in the show look like a complete asshole and I'm 99% sure that wasn't what the show was going for.

Even if it wasn't, there's still something intriguing about watching it all unfold.

nagpxYkl.jpg
13. Vinland Saga - This was such a pleasant surprise for me. From the adds and the OP, I thought this show would be about an action show about an edgy Viking kid murdering everyone, which sounded dreadful. But then a couple of episodes in the show just says "haha, fuck that guy" and spends the rest of the series following a much better character. It feels nice when the show agrees with you.

Apart from that, the setting is great (Vikings!), there's a couple of well-animated action scenes, and the show does a great job of making most of the major characters compelling and fun to follow despite the fact that they are all 100% evil assholes. Plus the ending's great.

7zsnw3pl.jpg
14. MAGICAL CIRCLE GURU-GURU - I have no idea how to describe what makes this show great. Which is a shame because no-one watched it and it would be nice if more people did.

So let's just say it's a hillarious comedy show that likes to poke fun at old-school JRPGs and also features the most adorable character in the entire history of anime.

nAmIbn8l.jpg
15. KONOSUBA -God's blessing on this wonderful world! - I don't know where to put this show. The entire first season isn't very good. The general concept was fine enough: an isekai comedy about a bunch of awful people being jerks to each other. It just wasn't very funny. And then the second season fixed this and was consistently hilarious. The concept remains the same, but the direction, animation, and the overall writing all seemed much improved and I found myself constantly laughing at it, no matter how dumb it got.

And there's also a movie, which is complete garbage and kind of stops me from putting this higher up.

xjBY2Nhl.jpg
16. Space Dandy - Why can't we have more stuff like this? Take a bunch of excellent directors and animators, give each episode a different director/writer/animation director, let them basically do whatever they want, and see what happens.

With Space Dandy, the result ended up being a mixed bag. There's a lot of awful episodes, but there's also a ton of incredible stuff. Since every episode is unique you never know what you're going to get when you start up an episode and that makes watching the show a lot of fun.

MNIR4v5l.jpg
17. Girls und Panzer - Re-imagining tank warfare as something that only cute girls have an interest in is peak anime sillyness. The show's beautifully self-aware about it too. It knows its premise doesn't make any sense at all and it just doesn't care. It helps that the actual battles are a lot of fun as well. They are fast paced, exciting, and feature ludicrous things like drifting tanks that fit in perfectly well with the ridiculous setting.

JxhGKkgl.jpg
18. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - JoJo should be awesome. I love the idea of an action show where everyone has some incredibly weird power and the fights are more about figuring out how to counteract those powers instead of just punching the opponent super hard.

It should be awesome, but it mostly isn't. The first season just isn't very good, Stardust Crusaders has most fights ending up with Jotaro punching the hell out of his opponents regardless of their powers, and a lot of fights either end up being really underwhelming or too convoluted to follow. This is especially evident in the latest season, which goes hard on trying to one-up itself with constant bullshit.

But when the show does actually live up to its premise it's fun as hell.

r40OI3ol.jpg
19. One-Punch Man - The official English title actually properly hyphenates the title. That's neat. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that when talking about the show.

As for the show itself, it's an awesome showcase of some of the best action direction and animation in anime with some pretty funny comedy in there as well.

ukU7RPPl.jpg
20. Hunter X Hunter - It's a long-running shonen show, it sticks pretty closely to the tropes of the genre, the pacing is often a complete drag, and it's like 50 hours long.

But there's times when I get in the mood to watch a show exactly like that. Hunter X Hunter pulls it off pretty well too. The characters are fun, there's a number of well-directed action scenes, the climaxes for most arcs end up landing really well, and there's a good mix of comedy and more serious storylines.

VbWaEUql.jpg
21. The Tatami Galaxy - More of Yuasa directing the hell out of anime. The only reason I can't put this higher is that most of its comedy didn't really land for me.

tyAF8MRl.jpg
22 SHIROBAKO - I had no idea how much of a shitshow making anime actually is. Thankfully, Shirobako exists to explain this. It's an anime about making anime that provides a depressingly accurate look at how anime production works these days. In addition, the show is filled with some very fun characters and direction nails its self-deprecating tone.

cloxUUIl.jpg
23. Fate/Zero - I hate the Fate franchise. At a glance, it's something that sounds like a ton of fun: morally-dubious wizards fighting each other in a battle royale by summoning historical figures such as King Arthur or Gilgamesh. Sadly, most of the franchise gets too bogged down with awful writing to ever do anything good with the premise. Fate/Zero is the one exception. The cast is large and well-realized enough that it truly feels like a battle royale between different characters, rather than just the protagonist fighting everyone else, while the writing puts all the focus on main conflict.

xwqWfhEl.jpg
24. Blood Blockade Battlefront - A fun episodic show with some excellent direction from Rie Matsumoto and a catchy ED song.

HhPKZydl.jpg
25. Thunderbolt Fantasy - You get to watch anime puppets beat the hell out of each other. What more would you want really. The script and the characters are a ton of fun as well, but I was mostly just there for the puppets.

Nov 20, 2019
I have watched quite a few anime on my watchlist during this quarantine, I might make a lot of changes to the list I submitted before!

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Series
  1. Space Brothers
    In April 2012, I was stuck in a dead-end admin position at the local council. I was an older brother to three talented younger siblings (who I love dearly). I was in my late 20s and struggling with depression.
    I was fully on board with Mutta from episode one. He's easily discouraged, he feels a real sense of responsibility toward his younger brother, and he has other things in his life that he wanted to do but never got around to. I quit my job soon after.
    As the series went on it wasn't just Mutta. There are dozens of characters who all want to achieve something. They all have different reasoning, they have different approaches to life, some of them succeed and some of them fail, but they are all very recognisable and easy to empathise with.
    Eight years later, I'm no longer working for the council. I didn't move on to the career I really wanted, but I have something more like a career now and I've found a happy position as a volunteer helping with kids in foster care. I still struggle from time to time, but overall I'm in a better place than I was.
    I watch episodes of Space Brothers again from time to time. Some episodes put a huge smile on my face and some episodes reduce me to tears just by thinking about them. Some episodes manage both.

2. Chihayafuru
    Sports anime as a genre is one that I tend to dabble with, checking out new shows here and there and eventually dropping them as I get tired of an extended match.Shoujo romance is also something I occasionally look at, follow briefly, and eventually give up on.
    Chihayafuru benefits in several ways from not quite neatly fitting into either mould, allowing the characters to have goals and desires in multiple directions, which sometimes conflict. They aren't just "sports characters with quirks

3. The Tatami Galaxy
    An excellent series of vignettes about the different direction someone's life can take with some fantastic Yuasa direction

4. Shirobako
    Along with Space Brothers, this show really managed to hit at a point in my life where the ennui of being an office worker in my 20s was hitting. On top of that, being a behind the scenes look at anime production, while clearly idealised to some degree, is pretty fascinating.

5. Ping Pong
    Yuasa does it again, with some incredible direction and a great use of source material.

6. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    Jojo manages to keep reinventing itself while remaining an entertaining Shonen adventure show.

7. Hunter x Hunter
    Another top shonen series, Hunter X Hunter also manages to keep things fresh and interesting frequently while also having a large collection of compelling characters and a somewhat darker outlook on the realities of a world where there are both dangerous monsters and dangerous people, and sometimes the difference is hard to tell.

8. Planet With
    Satoshi Mizukami might be one of the best writers in the manga industry, and it was great to see him get an anime series. Planet With also does a great job of being a show about hope and trust which genuinely moved me by the end.

9. The Eccentric Family
    Kyoto seems pretty neat. Another top story from the writer of The Tatami Galaxy, I'll check out anything Tomihiko Morimi writes.

10. Re:Creators
    Another show about creative endeavours, although considerably more fantastical than Shirobako, this is just a rollicking adventure with some neat fights.

11. Humanity Has Declined
    A great combination of satire and dumb jokes, including my favourite punchline to any episode of a show ever.

12. Gatchaman Crowds
    Most people are actually kind, even if trolls can dominate discussion. Probably the most successful of the Tatsunoko reimaginings, although I still enjoyed Casshern Sins and Yatterman Nihgts.

13. Magical Circle Guru Guru
    Some top quality gags. An adaptation of an old manga that skewers traditional JRPGs pretty mercilessly while also having a cute romance between the leads.

14. Maria the Virgin Witch
    You don't see a lot of shows about feminism in relation to the Catholic Church and The Hundred Years War, and Maria manages to do a solid job criticising the position of the church with regards to female autonomy while also maintaining an undercurrent about the value of life in general.

15. Heartcatch Precure
    Precure cemented itself pretty quickly as a solid franchise about magical girls kicking ass and learning life lessons, but this Precure in particular has yet to be topped, with excellent action sequences and a solid supporting cast, including an excellent Mother's Day episode.

16. Bakemonogatari
    There's definitely a lot to fault around this series, but it also really manages some excellent writing and fascinating animation direction. While the first series in general remains one of the high points, there are several excellent arcs later and some great writing around the flaws and growth of the cast throughout.

17. K-On!
    K-On really ushered in the format of "Cute Girls doing Cute Things" but the overall production quality and catchy songs still keep it at the top of that list. It's definitely a show that transcends the source material.

18. Ushio and Tora
    Just a great shonen fighting series of an excellent length and pacing. Another show that adapts an older manga, but definitely leans into the rougher artstyle and 90s horror aesthetic to its benefit.

19. SSSS.Gridman
    Easily the best thing Trigger have done, and manages to capture a lot of what's great about classic Tokusatsu Kaju shows, including making the monsters really feel like people in rubber suits.

20. Macross Delta
    I've always loved Macross, so I will be rating this a bit higher than most people would, but I can't say no to the mix of pop music, dogfights and romantic melodrama against a space opera background that the franchise brings.

21. A Place Further Than The Universe
    I still genuinely cry thinking about that one scene.

22. Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Arc
    It's a massive disappointment that this is only half a show, but apart from that it was a real return to form and also featured the return of Meiling. I can only hope that the rest of the series eventually gets adapted with the same level of quality.

23. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    A good story about what love means to different people.

24. Symphogear
    In terms of big dumb action, there's isn't much bigger or dumber.

25. gdgd Fairies
    There's a real magic to the weird mix of dumb jokes and improvisational comedy, especially in the second series.
Honourable mentions that might have made the top 25 if I didn't love gdgd Fairies too much:
  • Megalo Box
  • Carole and Tuesday
  • Little Witch Academia
  • The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
  • Kobayashi's Maid Dragon
  • Mushishi
  • Fruits Basket
  • Mawaru Penguindrum
  • Nichijou
  • Mob Psycho 100
  • Hidamari Sketch

Honourable mentions that weren't really in the running but still came to mind.
  • Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
  • Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
  • From the New World
  • Log Horizon
  • Space Dandy
  • Parasyte
  • Blood Blockade Battlefront
  • Osomatsu-san
  • Pop Team Epic
  • Beastars
  • Revue Starlight
  • Bloom Into You
  • Milky Holmes
  • Concrete Revolutio
  • Dragon Ball Super
  • Zombieland Saga
  • Thunderbolt Fantasy

Films
  1. The Wind Rises
    I think this is genuinely the best film Ghibli have made.

2. The Night is Short, Walk On Girl
    I love a good "One Crazy Night" story

3. Your Name
    Shinkai really perfected his story in this one.

4. Wolf Children
    A great story about raising children.

5. Ride Your Wave
    Some great animation and a solid story about grief and moving on

6. Maquia
    Yet another story about parenthood, but a good one.

7. Colorful
    It's hard to say why this is so particularly great but it has some real personal significance.

8. In This Corner Of The World
    A story about how war impacts civilians.

9. Silent Voice
    I think really this story deserved a full series, but they did a great job cutting the core story down to a single movie.

10. The Case of Hana and Alice
    I still haven't gotten around to watching the original film this is related to, but it's a fun movie about some teens just doing stuff.

Last edited:

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Land of the Lustrous - Is this eligible? The anime enthusiasts here keep saying all anime looks the same these days and because of their confidence in that claim I find myself in doubt. That big guy was voiced by Jouji Nakata so it should be honorary anime for now.
  2. Yamato 2199 - Proper 70s space opera vibes with modern lush production techniques.
  3. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - The first three parts are my favorites so far. Having absolutely no knowledge of the source material beforehand made it a ton of fun to discover a massive series that became my favorite for a couple of years. Stopped reading and watching in the middle of part 5 but It's something I'll certainly return to eventually.
  4. Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Always love to see a little 12 episode series that perfectly wraps itself up. If you let the look of this show turn you off from watching it then you're a plonker.
  5. Fate/Zero - Definitely the beginning of my downfall into the pit of Fate. Think I've watched this four times now for whatever purpose.
  6. Hibike Euphonium - I don't even remember why I liked it so much. Was probably nice to look at.
  7. Yuru Camp - Definitely the best anime about nothing happening.
  8. Devilman Crybaby - Comedically grandiose apocalyptic tragedy with maybe the best anime soundtrack of the decade.
  9. A Place Further Than The Universe - I was expecting a more frosty Yuru Camp but i only got a big old cry.
  10. Gundam Build Fighers - The best advert Sunrise has done for Bandai's "Gundam" line of plastic model kits. They made some commercials for those toys beforehand but those were less good. Except maybe Turn A, that one was pretty good as well.
  11. Kiznaiver - The only good TV Series Trigger made.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
  1. Attack on Titan - Though I wasn't hooked on as many others by the initial hype when season 1 released, season 2 and especially 3 are some of the best story telling we've ever had. Season 4 should be able to live up to the hype.
  2. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - From start to finish, a masterpiece that told its story with no loose ends and a wonderful cast that will keep you rooting for them till the end. Not much else should be said for possibly the greatest anime of all time.
  3. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - 5 well made adaptations in decade seems a like dream come true. Though the story is from decades ago, it still holds really well today even when animated. Each part has its own style and story which makes it refreshing when we meet a new MC and cast. After all this, we still have 3 more stories to tell that I hope we will see this decade.
  4. Haikyu!! - The only sports manga/anime that will ever compete with Slam Dunk in my opinion. It's the improvement for each player that makes this anime so well done because it's believable with no power up BS. Every match will no doubt keep you feeling chills whenever the team scores a point.
  5. Chihayafuru - Who would have thought an obscure Japanese card game anime will be a contender for anime of the decade? Nobody. Seriously this came out of nowhere and sets it apart from others because of that and the cast that everyone will love.
  6. Hunter x Hunter 2011 - Togashi does it again with this story after his other acclaimed work, Yu Yu Hakusho. A story about a boy set out on adventure looking for his dad by being a hunter. Although it doesn't continue the story that the manga is currently telling, it stops at a good endpoint to make it feel complete.
  7. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - A story about 2 geniuses who like each other, but are too prideful to confess to one another. So instead being normal, they try to trick each other into confessing. Hijinks ensue with a well rounded cast and we have one of the better adapted romantic comedies.
  8. Space Dandy - One of the funnier and weirdest anime I've ever seen. Each episode tells a different story about Dandy and crew and by the end, it concludes pretty well.
  9. Ping Pong the Animation - The animation is pretty quirky, but once you get used to it, the story and character development makes this a top notch anime. It definitely has one of the more fulfilling endings.
  10. A Place Further than the Universe - A genuine coming of age story that felt fresh. The comedy and heartwarming moments felt good and will have a lasting impact on whoever watches it.
  11. My Hero Academia - Although the latest season hasn't been up to par, the first 3 has been some of the best shonen currently offered. At this point, it may also be the most popular and for good reason. The story is pretty standard but the diverse cast that has been ever growing and has introduced some amazing characters and unique powers.
  12. Run with the Wind - The cast makes this one of the better anime so far to end the decade. I personally took a liking to it because I ran in high school so I had some sort of attachment to running in general. Seeing the track and long distance racing felt like a trip down memory lane for me. The struggle and desire to get better felt real.
  13. Kimetsu no Yaiba - Another anime to end the decade and it arguably adapted the weakest arc, but somehow made it better than it was suppose to be with amazing animation. With the movie and better upcoming arcs to be adapted, this is a contender for next decades top anime.
  14. Konosuba - A parody on isekai that exceeded my expectations and ended up being something really special. The main characters are all incredibly incompetent, but that's what makes it funny as well when they always seem to get into shenanigans that usually work out in the end.
  15. Mob Psycho 100 - The show has some of the best animation produced and it works really well in adapting ONE's lesser known work.
  16. Kill la Kill - It's incredibly hard to explain what Kill la Kill is because of the absurdity, but that's what makes it great. Besides a few questionable scenes, the art and animation delivers, which lived up to Studio Triggers name.
  17. MSG Unicorn - The story was a bit confusing but the animation was spectacular. It's a welcome addition to the UC timeline.
  18. MSG The Origin - I find Char to be an interesting character so it was fun to see his backstory.
  19. The Tatami Galaxy - The first half was pretty okay and there were some things that confused me a bit at first. But once the story reaches the end, everything falls in place and makes sense.
  20. Devilman Crybaby - I wasn't sure what to expect from this show when I started, but it's probably one of the most brutal story I've ever seen. I wasn't exactly hoping for a happy ending, but I did not expect that. I just wish Akira and Miki just rode off into the sunset like the ending credit scene of episode 9.
  21. One-Punch Man - Season 1 lived up to the manga hype and did Murata's art justice, which was glorious. Unfortunately, season 2 didn't get to bake in the oven long enough and rushed out too fast to meet expectations.
  22. Shokugeki no Soma - I understand that the backend of this show has dropped in quality, but the earlier seasons justify Food Wars to make my list because how fun it was early on. The absurdity of people cooking food to compete and blow clothes off is really crazy, but it works.
  23. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. - This is another show I haven't completed yet, but it's good enough to make this list. Though it took a while for gags and some characters to work for me, I'm now looking forward to recurring characters and running gags after being exposed to them more often.
  24. Dragon Ball Super - Pretty much more Dragon Ball which is alright with me. The show had some episodes that hit the peak that DBZ had, but unfortunately some arcs were extended too long and dropped into the lower end of the pool. If you're a Dragon Ball fan, it's definitely a must see.
  25. Erased - The anime started off on the right note and got me hooked into the murder mystery, but with a time travel aspect. It did feel a bit rushed by the end, but it was satisfactory enough to make the list.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
  1. Mob Psycho 100 - This show just feels perfect. It has wonderful animation that gives you the feeling that you're flying through the air with the characters. Movement has weight but breaks the rules enough that everything just feels larger than reality. On top of that, the show's sense of humor is just as strong while still letting all the characters have their own personality and heart. And the second season is even better than the first.
  2. Devilman Crybaby - I feel like I'm 12 again watching Ninja Scroll and why does my chest hurt so bad...
  3. Keep Your Hands off Eizouken! - If you need to understand why you love anime so much, this show might help. The characters love for the medium is so strong, and they constantly talk about it's potential along with lifting the curtain to show some of its tricks. This is paired with a tight coming of age story and general highschool friend hijinks.
  4. Haikyu!! - I think this just hits a similar spot as Eizouken for me, and I'm at that point in my life where seeing passionate kids pursuing something that is their entire world with their entire being. The story is strong, and I think it needs to be to keep you watching. The action is well done but I wouldn't begrudge anyone saying it's too drawn out. It's not as good as Cross Game but it'll do.
  5. One Punch Man - Almost everything I said about Mob Psycho could apply to OPM too but One Punch Man's second season just fumbles hard for me. The series itself leans harder on comedy as well, which makes it feel a bit cheaper overall than something like Mob that has it all.
  6. Dorohedoro - I'm not even finished watching this but I have to include it. It's got a similar feel to Devilman for me where the world is dark, uninviting but you're still drawn in. There's a very strange humor going through the show as well and I'm really excited to see where the show goes. This is an even better accomplishment when I consider that I was going to read through the manga but dropped off after one volume.
  7. SSSS.Gridman - I just threw this in somewhat from recency bias. It's the most recent thing I watched, and I did enjoy it. It has a nostalgic feeling while still having a narrative that twists and turns.
There's probably more I'd like to include but a decade is a long time and I don't really remember lots that I probably watched near the start of the decade. Like I watched and loved Steins;Gate but that was a long time ago. I also really dug Kaiji but it looks like that came out last decade.

One thing I didn't mention about any of the shows is the stellar theme songs. With Eizouken, Dorohedoro, and Mob Psycho I kept watching the theme song since they were so catchy even though I'd normally skip through them since anime theme songs are so lengthy.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Anime:

- Dragon Ball Super. It started rocky but the show surpassed even DBZ by the end.

Movie:

- Dragon Ball Super Broly. The movie is not perfect but did the impossible, making me a Broly fan.
- Dragon Ball Z Resurrection F. Brought back one of my favorite villans and used the secondary cast well.
- Dragon Ball Z Battle of Gods. Great revival for the series.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Land of the Lustrous - Is this eligible? The anime enthusiasts here keep saying all anime looks the same these days and because of their confidence in that claim I find myself in doubt. That big guy was voiced by Jouji Nakata so it should be honorary anime for now.
No worries it's eligible.
Kiznaiver - The only good TV Series Trigger made.
Good taste.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - This is my all time favorite anime.
  2. From The New World - I have watched this show at least a dozen times. An unforgettable story with an utterly fantastic and satisfying ending. So many shows begin with amazing potential but sputter along the way but not only did SSY keep getting better and better, it effortlessly stuck the landing. While the show did have moments of poor production, the story, lore and worldbuilding is among the best of all time.
  3. Shirobako - A fitting love letter to anime. Great characters that you can't help but root for.
  4. March Comes In Like A Lion Series - An amazing deep dive into depression and what it means to be family.
  5. Chihayafuru Series - You probably heard those 5 piano notes in your head just now. I still dont understand karuta but it's such a gripping series full of colorful characters.
  6. Non Non Biyori Series - Adorable, hilarious, profound, nostalgic. And incredibly cozy. This series is slice of life perfected.
  7. A Place Further Than The Universe - A great story about people overcoming struggles together. There's also penguins.
  8. Attack on Titan Series - An amazing story full of twists and turns. Shaping up to be one of the GOATs.
  9. Nagi no Asukara - I love the imaginative world that PA Works and Okada created here. Some of the characters were annoying and the story didn't live up to its full potential but the stunning audio and visuals made this show unforgettable.
  10. Run With The Wind - God I miss running
  11. Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Awesome story with satisfying twists and turns.
  12. Haikyuu Series - Sports anime really are the best.
  13. The Eccentric Family Series - Heartwarming and heartbreaking, but uplifting at the same time.
  14. Yona of the Dawn - Where is season 2? And 3 and 4?
  15. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Series - Those discussions during season 2 with pages of black bars were epic.
  16. Hyouka - The show will put you in a trance
  17. Sound! Euphonium - Looks and sounds great
  18. My Hero Academia Series - Potential to be an all time great shonen
  19. Hanasaku Iroha - Great show
  20. Dog Days Series - Wholesome fanservice

Movies

1. Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms - Okada is too powerful. An amazing story about family. I cried buckets but the tears felt earned.
  2. A Silent Voice - One of the few instances where the adaptation surpasses the source material.
  3. The Tale of Princess Kaguya - An absolutely gorgeous film with a heartbreaking story
  4. Your Name - A visual masterpiece. This movie will be influential and talked about years from now.
  5. Madoka: Rebellion - Great ending to Madoka's story
  6. Promare - Hype as hell
  7. Wolf Children - It was good
  8. Hanasaku Iroha: Home Sweet Home - Nice addition to the series

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Don't feel like voting but i hope Uchouten Kazoku finds a high spot on the list.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Saving for now, will come back to post my full thoughts.
  1. Mob Psycho 100
  2. A Place Further than the Universe
  3. March Comes in Like a Lion
  4. Kids on the Slope
  5. Hunter x Hunter
  6. Ping Pong
  7. FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood
  8. Psycho Pass
  9. Anohana
  10. Astra: Lost in Space
  11. Shirobako
  12. SSSS.Gridman
  13. My Hero Academia
  14. Gintama
  15. Kuroko no Basket
  16. Kaguya-Sama: Love is War
  17. Attack on Titan
  18. Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
  19. Devilman Crybaby
  20. JoJo's Bizarre Adventures: Diamond is Unbreakable
  21. Recovery of an MMO Junkie
  22. Konosuba
  23. Nichijou
  24. One Punch Man
  25. Blood Blockade Battlefront

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
  1. Kill la Kill – A perfect combination of maximalist action, music, wacky comedy, and high-stakes melodrama.
  2. Mob Psycho 100 Series – The balance of thoughtful character studies, goofy teen comedy, and some light horror would make this show great even if didn't have some of the most drop-dead gorgeous battle animation ever made.
  3. One Punch Man – Fun gags and awesome fight scenes are pretty much it, this series would rank a lot lower if not for its GOAT OP.
  4. Blood Blockade Battlefront– Inventive worldbuilding, cool powers, beautiful animation, the heavily detailed backgrounds are what really set this series apart.
  5. Space Dandy– A lavishly produced anthology, mostly goofy comedy with the odd bit of poignancy here and there.
  6. Little Witch Academia – Nice wholesome fun. Diana coming out of her shell to Akko is a top-tier character arc. Also, there's a giant robot episode.
  7. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Series – Replicates the manga's tone of treating with utmost seriousness the completely ridiculous things that happen. There aren't any pop-offs quite like the color shifts this show uses.
  8. Hyouka – Yeah the mysteries have pretty low stakes, but we're really here for the character interactions and Chitanda being cute.
  9. SSSS.Gridman Robots vs. monsters with a side of existentialism. Shinjou Akane is one of the more interesting villains in anime.
  10. Shirobako – Sure it's educational with regard to anime production, and there's well-done drama among characters unsure of their places in the world at various stages of their careers, but let's be honest. The funny faces are more than enough reason to check this out.
  11. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt – Lewd, crude proto-Trigger. Cranks up the sakuga when the occasion calls for it
  12. Kids on the Slope - Low-key drama isn't usually my thing, but this story of two odd-couple friends getting into jazz and dealing with high school life was still pretty engrossing.
  13. Tsuritama - The goofy story about aliens, government conspiracies, fishing, and the power of friendship is pretty great. The bright and endearing color palette is what still sticks most in my mind.
  14. Space Patrol Luluco - A well-done wacky reference comedy, my favorite genre.
  15. Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Is thought of more today for its tone and subject matter, but the sharp direction and music are what allowed it become so influential in the first place.
  16. Darling in the FranXX - Zero Two is very charming, and the rest of the cast has some interesting interactions too. The last few episodes went full anime bullshit to a degree rarely matched, but I appreciated what it was going for.
  17. Land of the Lustrous - The first really good 3D CG anime, and still the best looking. (Sorry Beastars!) The setting is genuinely strange and unique, with characters that are for the most party still relatable despite their bizarre biology.
  18. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - Mind game anime elevated to glorious farce, interspersed with genuine pathos and feeling.
  19. Girls und Panzer - This show doesn't make any sense in terms of logical worldbuilding or even basic physics, these girls are too cute and these tank battle too awesome for that to matter.
  20. Durarara!! Series - Gang warfare in an urban fantasy version of modern Japan. The best part is seeing all the supernatural horrors cowering away from a normal dude who's just super angry.
  21. Heartcatch Precure! - The most consistently good Precure made yet, with at least decent action even in the less important episodes and really charming characters.
  22. Senki Zesshou Symphogear Series - Techno magical girls having badass fights, tons of crazy twists, insert songs nearly every fight.
  23. Bloom into You - There's just something really soothing about this moderately paced yuri romance
  24. Snow White with the Red Hair - What if Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman was a fairytale romance, and also an anime? The only thing on this list I'd ever even consider showing to my mom.
  25. Star Driver - Utena with giant robots and marginally more heterosexual, it's not as good as Ikuhara's masterpiece but the snappy pace makes it easy and fun to go through.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be lazy and just cut and paste from my old voting posts with some tasteful edits:

TV
1. Ping Pong
Easily one of the best things to have come along in years. It's transcendental of the medium in that it's not just good as anime but good as a piece of art. I've never seen a sports anime so thoroughly explore the motivation of the participant quite like this show. Everyone has a story, each having suffered in some way in their pursuit of the top. Beyond the amazing writing behind it all, Yuasa polished it further with his own visual flair to make something that left me in awe.

2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
I've long been a fan of Mamoru Hatakeyama since his work in elevating the third Rozen Maiden series into something watchable with how adroitly he handled the human relationships in the show. There was only so much he could do with it given its required beginning and end so I'd spent quite a while waiting for him to come onto a project, be it original or adaptation, where he could fully concentrate on that. For that, I was rewarded with what was the best show since Ping Pong aired and is the kind of show we should point toward when we discuss mature anime alongside the likes of other great works such as Ping Pong or Mushishi.

3. Devilman Crybaby
Yuasa managed something really special here by managing to update the source material as well as he did while as leaving his own indelible mark on the property

4. Flowers of Evil
Beautiful heartbreaking show that more should give a shot. It's been a while since I had the pleasure of watching a show that revelled in raw emotion like this one does.

5. Yamato 2199
Beautiful show that deserves every bit of praise it has received. It's one of those things that's not just great anime but a great show period transcendental of the medium.

6. Hyouka
Kyoani's masterwork

7. Heybot
I'm not a fan of most anime comedies (despite voting for two this year) but Heybot managed to ensnare me with how wonderfully absurd it was and how utterly unfit its protagonists were to be placed in the role of main character. The show clicked with me so fiercely I blew through 50 episodes in three days and could've handled another 50 after. The show was made for no one and that makes it beautiful.

8. Concrete Revolutio
Thankfully AOTD is basically a popularity contest so I could vote for whatever I wanted as #1 which I did. I don;t think I've had as much fun with a show like Concrete Revolutio as I have in a long while.

Imagine an examination of the Showa-era through the lens of superheroes and you have this show. They're not the traditional capes though, they're the very Japanese tropes of robot detectives, giant heroes, magical girls, giant robots, and so on are all brought together under the same umbrella to create a world that's more like a western comic book universe than anything else. The shows use of achronological storytelling gives it a great hook too since more questions are raised with each subsequent answer given. This can make the show superficially daunting but think it rewards the patient viewer as pieces fall into place and things become clear.

9. Thunderbolt Fantasy
I was no real fan of either Sawano or Urobuchi going into this but instead thought the novelty of the project was endearing enough to hold my attention. Imagine my surprise when I realized this was one of the most tightly plotted works of the year. Not early on either but later in the series when resolutions to certain events caused the earlier episodes to be upended by these revelations and existing in a different context going forward. I know people ragged on this as not being anime but it was one of the most special shows to the community at large at the time and one of those rare occasions where we had something so special, we were eager to increase its visibility so others that weren't regulars to the community thread could enjoy it with us.

10. Vinland Saga
A surprise that started out good and ended great. I was always told this would never get an adaptation and then I was told it probably wouldn't be that good given the studio but wrong on both counts.

11. Sarazanmai
I put this off for awhile as I expected I'd need to be in a certain mood for Ikuhara but this turned out to be the most accessible of his works yet. I think this will function well as a gateway to Ikuhara's works and if asked where to start with them, I'd definitely say start here.

12. The Eccentric Family
You know how people complain about the dearth of quality anime nowadays and how the good ol' bad days were better? Yeah, no. This show was one of the best I've ever had the pleasure to watch featuring beautiful art, great storytelling, an interesting fusion of the modern day and mythology, no dull moments, and characterization that makes most shows pale in comparison. It's one of the few non-Ghibli productions that Ive been able to lose myself in like it was something from Ghibli itself. If there is something that helped me reaffirm anime was alive and well nowadays, it was this.

13. Land of the Lustrous - Excellent use of CG in anime (despite much room for improvement) and a wonderful character study of Phos breaking tradition by breaking herself and being forced to change in an unchanging world. I was very happy with the ending as events were brought full circle but there's no question the greater mysteries of the world were so compelling that not exploring them further left a sense of tasks being left undone.

14. Beastars - Bless Orange. People complained but I believed and I was well rewarded.

15. Kemono Friends - A lesser show than Girls' Last Tour but one I enjoyed more as it did so much with so much less. It's criminal it became a victim of its own success but I'll always have that first season and the great memories of the show's inexorable charm winning over people I'd recommended it to once they were willing to give it a chance. That Twitch stream was something else too.

16. Gundam Build Divers: Re:rise - My biggest issue with the first Build series was cyberspace offered up infinite possibilities and they opted for the most boring paths. This addressed that and then some and it's the most fun I've had with Gundam since Turn A.

17. Tiger Mask W
Started this as an ironic Toei watch to see how they'd fuck it up but then they didn't.

18. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Really thought I'd have ranked this lower and pushed other stuff off my list but as time has gone on, I've warmed towards the last third of the series. It's not that it's perfect, no. In fact, there are some glaring flaws in these eps but the show itself has the decency to do something few other shows can manage and that is to end well. I still feel there's a degree of contrivance to the Election arc but it facilitates an exceptionally strong ending that successfully concludes the plot threads of the two main characters. Each established way back at the beginning and never forgotten about as Gon realizes his goal of meeting his father and Killua returning home some 120sh episodes later as a Hunter, fulfilling his vow to his father to do just that, distinguishing himself, and finally winning the respect of his family in the process. I know there's more (Dark Continent etc.) but under the auspices of the TV show itself, things came together at the end rather strongly and left me with fond memories of the show.

19. Gundam Build Fighters
Hey hey, Gundam is fun again. Came for the 2D mecha fanservice, was rewarded with a great show.

20. Bungou Stray Dogs
I was tepid on this at first given how rather strangely the show started, the concern of the Takuya Igarashi/Enokido combo, the strange oscillating tone, and just the general overall concept. What I didn't realize was I was being set up for the second cour being some of the best work Igarashi has done in years, smartly adapting a light novel in the middle of the manga adaptation to successfully draw out the characterization of one of the previously enigmatic leads and to give us a thematically rich work that left me thinking about it for days after I had finished watching it. For as unambitious as the first cour may have been, it was balanced entirely by the ambition displayed in making the second cour so memorable.

21. Rozen Maiden (2013)
Lovely show that has me hoping to see what Hatakeyama can do with something original if he could elevate an adaptation as well as he did here. (Seven years later and glancing at the response to Kaguya, he's only getting better.)

22. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
I hadn't looked forward to a show from week to week like this since Geass' initial airing. Battle Tendency was hyped to me before the run of episodes began and that hype was validated and then some. Despite some lackluster production values at times, the show possessed an energy and style that helped carry it in the face of these problems.

Since then, it's been great to see the property succeed with every attempt even when it looked like it might not.

23. Symphogear - Finally, a show that understands finales and ending well. It also felt like a culmination of the franchise whereas every preceding season felt lacking in some regard, this felt like many lessons were learned and it ended with the most consistent season that finally lived up to the show's potential after a very lackluster start.

24. A Place Further Than The Universe - I ignored this as the premise was rather ridiculous when I first heard about it. Needless to say, I was stunned at how practical the show strayed every time opportunity arose to take a more fantastical turn. This gave it a wonderful grounded sense of realism that was a breath of fresh air. An immensely charismatic cast and heartwarming story rounded things out.

25. Baki - They really don't make stuff like this anymore.

Spectrum

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think I would have enough series I really liked, but it turns out I had to leave out quite a few.
  1. Hyouka - A cast of characters that grow on you and some very mundane but interestingly played out mysteries.
  2. Puella Magi Madoka Magica - A very different take in the Magical Girl genre, where rather than the villains, the real enemy of our heroines is their inexorable destiny. Unexpected (but very fitting) plot-twists and an immensely satisfying ending, coupled with a strong and creative art direction and memorable character design make for a truly amazing series. I had a hard time placing either Madoka or Hyouka in first place, and have no strong preferences for either really, and they are both my favourite anime series.
  3. Ping Pong the Animation - Unlike most sports anime, there are no good and bad guys or special moves or whatever. This series is just about a bunch of kids finding themselves, fighting against expectations and their own limitations. The art style and presentation is quite unique and the animation quality is not left behind.
  4. Steins;Gate - I guess I just like time-traveling thrillers.
  5. Sound! Euphonium - This anime is gorgeous to look at and the story had just the right amount of drama.
  6. Flowers of Evil - The mundane city backgrounds, the subtle sounds and the interesting layouts that combined with the unusual animation technique make for a strong and uncanny atmosphere that made this weekly spiral into despair an engrossing journey.
  7. The Tatami Galaxy - The nonlinear storytelling structure, the never silent protagonist and the non-conventional art style make for a very unique experience.
  8. Nichijou - A series of ridiculous and hilarious situations. The best comedy anime.
  9. Penguindrum - Fabulous Max
  10. Hunter x Hunter - I'm glad one of my favorite series could get a complete adaptation. While the first adaptation might have had a more interesting tone, they really nailed the key moments in the later arks.
  11. Kaiji - The ability to come up with so many twists and turns to some seemingly simple games is truly outstanding. This series take seemingly luck based gambles and converts them into battles of skill and mind games. Who would've thought that like 10 episodes of Pachinko could be so engaging. Also liked that the protagonist is not the usual genius you would see in these kind of series, but a somewhat average person who makes many mistakes along the way and whose moments of brilliance are mainly motivated by the dire situation they are going through.
  12. Shirobako - It was interesting to get a look into the industry through the eyes of their own members. You can't help but wonder whether this production went through the same hardships that it was depicting.
  13. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - Well built and realistic characters and drama. I found really interesting that they devoted significant time to actually showcasing the Rakugo performances.
  14. March Comes in Like a Lion - A very down-to-earth drama that does a good job of exploring the lives of all their characters. I even found myself caring for side characters more than the main characters (not to mean I didn't care for them either).
  15. Mob Psycho 100 - Every episode is an animation showcase. Good characters and some hilarious moments, Reigen is the true star of the show in this regard. While Yusuke Murata's detailed work on Onepunch man is truly remarkable, I feel One's rough drawing style in Mob Psycho resulted in a much more interesting result.
  16. Space Patrol Luluco - I feel the short format and straightforward plot worked really well with the equally compressed action and comedy that is trademark in Imaishi's shows. I feel this is Trigger's best anime.
  17. Amanchu - This anime is pure happiness. A very relaxing show.
  18. Sarazanmai - I like all the weird imagery and wacky situations in Ikuhara's shows, that surround the more serious underlying story.
  19. Devilman: Crybaby - While not a completely faithful adaptation in terms of content, the overall tone matches the dread and spiraling into chaos present in the original work. This show is just brutal.
  20. Land of the Lustrous - I'm generally not a fan of CG anime, but I think this is one of the few instances where could tolerate it, maybe even good? The action scenes manage to leverage the strengths of CG animation with dynamic camera angles. In regards to the content itself, the setting is quite unique and the mysterious nature of the world are very engaging.
  21. Made in Abyss - The great world building made exploring the abyss an interesting journey. This series has some of the hardest to watch scenes not only due to shock value but also on an emotional level, which ultimately made it a very memorable experience (even if not in the good sense).
  22. Violet Evergarden - Every episode was a delight to watch even if only for the high production values, great art, composition and amazing character acting animation. While I never could get fully behind the show's premise and Violet is sometimes kind of a dull character, it still manages to have a few touching stories.
  23. Bakemonogatari - The first time I watched this, I remember going in with the wrong expectations and ended up not really liking it. It wasn't until I gave it a second chance that I could get into the wacky dialogues and surreal visuals.
  24. Kaguya-sama: Love is War - I'm not usually into romcoms, but this one was good. Can't certainly say what I liked. I guess it just has some very good comedy.
  25. Snow White with the Red Hair - A simple romance with strong and capable protagonists and no convoluted love-triangles.

Whew that took longer than expected. I'm skipping films since I have yet to watch some that would very likely make it into my list and I wouldn't want to skip them.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my completely scientific, perfectly flawless, total disaster list.

Anime TV Series

1. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Series - Probably the closest thing to perfection on this list.
  2. Space Dandy Series - The episodes in this that hit are some of the best of the decade.
  3. Shirobako - I'm not sure how accurate it's portrayal of the anime industry is, but it sure is funny.
  4. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - An absolutely incredible space opera.
  5. Hunter x Hunter (2011) - A masterpiece of shonen that has no interest in ending story arcs in anything so boring as a traditional manner.
  6. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - A masterpiece of traditional shonen.
  7. Land of the Lustrous - Probably the best looking show artistically of the decade.
  8. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Series - I don't think anything else has given me such consistent joy over the past 8 years.
  9. Mob Psycho 100 Series - Animation that legitimately makes your brain melt.
  10. A Place Further Than the Universe - Take CGDCT, add feels.
  11. Attack on Titan Series - If not for the slow start, this would be a masterpiece of tension and pacing.
  12. Chihayafuru Series - I love my stupid karuta kids.
  13. Beastars - How does a show about R-rated CGI furries work so well?
  14. Kaguya: Love is War - This show sucks! (He's lying. This is an incredible comedy.)
  15. Thunderbolt Fantasy Series - Give yourself over to these ridiculous puppets.
  16. Gundam Build Fighters Series - It's a toy advertisement for children, but it's so fun you won't care.
  17. Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun - It's an international crime that this didn't get a second season.
  18. The Tatami Galaxy - This show is a personal attack on me and my wasted college days.
  19. Vinland Saga - A prestige HBO Viking series, but it's an anime.
  20. Barakamon - I never want to get out from under this blanket.
  21. Nichijou - My Ordinary Life - An absolute GIF machine.
  22. Bloom Into You - An LGBTQ romance that isn't just not trashy, but actually incredible.
  23. Katanagatari - A show with 12 hour long episodes of mostly talking, but they absolutely fly.
  24. Ping Pong the Animation - Bring Ping Pong the Animation to Toonami.
  25. Girls' Last Tour - My little apocalypse can't possibly be this cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.