ResetEra April 2018 Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised to see requests for #000 as a background colour. I thought pure black backgrounds on websites died in the 00s. What next - wanting green text to complete the Matrix aesthetic? lol
Pure black sucks ass on a lot of cheaper LCD screens. Hence why it went away.

A shit ton of mobile users have OLED screens now though. All of the Samsung phones, the pixel phones, OnePlus ect... and now the iPhone X.

It's the exact opposite where true black looks amazing on OLED and not true black or grey looks like shit in comparison.

You honestly need separate dark themes for each type of device. Pocket Casts for instance already does this.

I'd love to know what the mods actually use as testing devices.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope these new changes allow for the tiny icons to be made bigger. And the page number links. I often end up hitting the wrong one and I don’t even have big hands.

Oct 28, 2017
I usually miss the site newsletter, but that doesn't mean I'm not noticing the progress you guys have made over the course of... how long now? A year? More?
Regardless - your efforts made the switch from that site almost unnoticeable. Thank you for your work, past, present and current staff!

Dec 5, 2017
Man I love this forum so much. Feels like I've walked into a comfy home whenever I come here. Thank you team and keep up the great work.

Oct 27, 2017
Very much looking forward to NightEra. A slick new-redesign sounds awesome and would make this place even better. Do we have an ETA on Day and NightEra?

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Very much looking forward to NightEra. A slick new-redesign sounds awesome and would make this place even better. Do we have an ETA on Day and NightEra?
No ETA as of this time, but as we said in the newsletter, we're targeting later this month. We'll have more information in a separate announcement when we're close to roll out.

Nov 4, 2017
Milan - Italy
SweetNicole

I wrote this earlier but I tought you didn’t read that so I’ll write this again.

Are you planning to give us the possibility to see less than 50 posts per page?
I often have only 5 minutes to read the threads I follow, and I find myself not opening them because I don’t want to mark as read the whole 50 posts in the page (which I won’t be able to read in only 5 minutes).

Btw thanks for your amazing work

Oct 27, 2017
SweetNicole I was wonder if they'd be an update on the site's policy with GDPR this month. Any news?
Unless ResetEra servers are physically located inside EU/ETA area, GDPR should not be a concern. (I assume that ResetEra is not really established anywhere, let alone European Union.)

BR, Certified Information Privacy Professional in Europe.

D

Deleted member 123

Unless ResetEra servers are physically located inside EU/ETA area, GDPR should not be a concern. (I assume that ResetEra is not really established anywhere, let alone European Union.)

GDPR is actually a concern for me.

I don't know what this GDPR thing is, it sounds fake. Right now I'm contacting the admins about the birthday change, but I don't know if they will cooperate. Also...even though I'm European...I don't think I'm in the economic area. I don't know, I have not seen the map.

Oct 27, 2017
GDPR is actually a concern for me.

Well, it shouldn't. More likely something like COPPA applies, but that has been the case for ages. And even if GDPR were to apply, ResetEra could just say they are incorporated in UK, where the age limit for not requiring parental consent is 13, which is the same as COPPA.

But yeah, being a web site with no physical presence in EU makes ResetEra not a subject to GDPR.

That being said, as an individual I appreciate it if my personal data is handled lawfully and transparently and in a fair manner.

D

Deleted member 123

Well, it shouldn't. More likely something like COPPA applies, but that has been the case for ages. And even if GDPR were to apply, ResetEra could just say they are incorporated in UK, where the age limit for not requiring parental consent is 13, which is the same as COPPA.

But yeah, being a web site with no physical presence in EU makes ResetEra not a subject to GDPR.

That being said, as an individual I appreciate it if my personal data is handled lawfully and transparently and in a fair manner.
How can I know if it's the truth? I'm scared that my account will be deleted.

D

Deleted member 123

I hope one of the admins can help you. But like I said, GDPR does not require any ResetEra accounts to be deleted.
Oh...But...Wait, that means...
I think that the Resetera admins has been misunderstanding all the time about the GDPR! They didn't tell us nor know that GDPR requires any Resetera account be deleted!
If it is true, then it would be a relief to me!

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't find a "request feature" thread, but I'd like to ask if in a future upgrade we could choose separate themes for desktop and phone? Imo the old themes are superior for desktops while the new themes are superior for mobile. Would love to be able to use different themes for different devices.

Fyi this is incorrect. The location of the data is irrelevant. GDPR protects European consumers regardless of where the data or organization is located. There are a number of factors that determine whether an American service falls under GDPR, and ResetEra certainly does due to having European-centric threads (such as the various European OT's, European sales threads, etc.).

It has nothing to do with accounts being deleted though. Idk how much data ResetEra tracks on users but basically European members must be given the ability to be forgotten (i.e. have all their posts and browsing history deleted). There's not really any sensitive data, and there aren't any goods being sold, so GDPR is not really a big deal for ResetEra though.

Oct 27, 2017
Fyi this is incorrect. The location of the data is irrelevant. GDPR protects European consumers regardless of where the data or organization is located. There are a number of factors that determine whether an American service falls under GDPR, and ResetEra certainly does due to having European-centric threads (such as the various European OT's, European sales threads, etc.).
Actually, no. If you check some of the rulings by European Court of Justice or statements by WP29, jurisdiction is based on the organization having an "establishment" in EU area.

From European Data Protection: Law and Practice (Ustaran, E, 2018): "Under Article 3(2)(a), non-EU established organisations will be subject to the Regulation where they process personal data about EU data subjects in connection with the offer of goods or services to EU data subjects."

Just having a web site that is globally available does not mean that one is offering services to EU data subjects. In addition, you have to consider e.g. the following:
  • the use of an EU language;
  • the display of prices in EU currency;
  • the ability to place orders in EU languages;
  • reference to EU users or customers.
So you may want to double check what the regulation states, especially recital 23 and article 3.

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, no. If you check some of the rulings by European Court of Justice or statements by WP29, jurisdiction is based on the organization having an "establishment" in EU area.

From European Data Protection: Law and Practice (Ustaran, E, 2018): "Under Article 3(2)(a), non-EU established organisations will be subject to the Regulation where they process personal data about EU data subjects in connection with the offer of goods or services to EU data subjects."

Just having a web site that is globally available does not mean that one is offering services to EU data subjects. In addition, you have to consider e.g. the following:
  • the use of an EU language;
  • the display of prices in EU currency;
  • the ability to place orders in EU languages;
  • reference to EU users or customers.
So you may want to double check what the regulation states, especially recital 23 and article 3.
Yeah I know, I already explained this in my post. There are plenty of European-centric threads, and on that note even European threads where users are allowed to write in European languages.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know, I already explained this in my post. There are plenty of European-centric threads, and on that note even European threads where users are allowed to write in European languages.
And I maintain that this is not enough to provide evidence of intent to specifically target EU residents.

Honestly, if I were in charge of ResetEra, I wouldn't sweat about GDPR. And I say this as somebody who actually works in a GDPR compliancy program and deals with compliancy issues daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.