• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still rocking the original MadCatz Street Fighter IV TE stick, built to last and the buttons still feel great. Had to get a brooks converter for PS4 which works perfectly.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I own an hori RAP4 though i'm thinking of buying a few hayabusa buttons for it over the standard buttons.
Thoughts?

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Personally I would recommend getting something in the $150-$200 price range. Arcade sticks are a commitment. Not everyone can adjust to them right away. In fact, if you're more comfortable with a standard controller -- don't be afraid to stick to it. It's always nice to learn arcade sticks so you can play on more than just pad, however.

I hope people heed this advice. Budget sticks seem like a great idea if you're unsure about making the switch, but they're likely to turn you off of using sticks altogether (so you wasted money) or you'll quickly grow out of it and have to buy a $150 stick anyway (so you wasted money).

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, Mark. I figured you might be able to answer this. How come the TTT2 Wii U stick doesn't work on the SNES Classic?

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I always wanted to learn sticks, even bought the budget SFIV arcade stick for PS3 back then, but I just suck, I need to put more time in it.

ssnick37

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how rare the white Hori Fighting Edge PC/360 version is?

I have one and on the box it's marked 93/200. I thought they made more but I don't see them sold even used that often, just the ps3 version.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
TVC stick SFC/SNES Classic inspired edition

lbDHVrl.png

Oct 31, 2017
I'm actually about to build my own. I live in Japan so I ordered and received my Sanwa buttons and stick last week. I went to IKEA and got some supplies to make a case out of. Now I'm just waiting on some drill bits, standoffs, etc to arrive from a China and I'll get to making it! This is kind of a test run. When I visit the States this summer all of my old wood working tools are there and I can build a big beautiful piece of tree into a smoother and prettier stick than what I'll be doing here! I'll post my results in a week or two.

OP
OP
MarkMan

MarkMan

Arcade Stick Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hey, Mark. I figured you might be able to answer this. How come the TTT2 Wii U stick doesn't work on the SNES Classic?

The IC vendor Mad Catz used (as recommended by Nintendo) didn't have the same compatibility as classic controllers. That's all there is to it really. I've heard there are ways you can get it to work though. I haven't tried personally.

Oct 25, 2017
Just putting it out there... my favorite sticks are...

• Namco Arcade Stick (Hori) made for Tekken 2 & Soul Edge/Blade
  • Hori Real Arcade PRO Special Edition, less than 400 units made
  • Mad Catz Chun-Li FightStick TE-S
  • Hori VLX Diamond
  • Razer Panthera - Street Fighter V Edition, the artwork!

So for my first stick I want to buy one that will last me a bit between the Razer Panthers, MadCatz TES+ and TE2+ Which one is best?

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
Wassup markman, where can I find good info on (non-entry level) korean sticks &mods? Seems like every few weeks, players are coming with their own line of stick with different grommets and springs.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I've never done anything like that but I'll check if out if it's as easy as you say. Is there a guide?
I think there was one someone posted a while back about doing it. It mostly involves having to snip some wires from the existing harness on the Hori board to screw into the terminals on the Brook board. I actually did this with an old red V3 SA Kai I had to make it my multistick and it was fairly painless. Worst part was wiring the Turbo button to be the touchpad button, but the V4 series has a touchpad already so replacing it is easier.

Have an OG TE2 for PS4 without a touchpad or R3 button.

Interested in upgrading for the added functionality, but honestly not sure what to get.

The Obsidian seems nice as it's similar in size, more solid like the old TEs, and has the same Sanwa parts.

I'm interested in the HRAP Kai though as well, but I've never used a Hori stick or their Hayabusa parts.

Any suggestions?

TBH, I now others might disagree, but the Hayabusa lever is fairly close to a JLF, but slightly stiffer. To me it feels about midway between a JLF and a Seimitsu LS32 but with the throw distance of the JLF. It's definitely a smoother stick. I also vastly prefer it because I have a weird sort of distaste for Sanwa parts over the years because I prefer Seimitsu's stiffness. I use an LS40 in my multistick, for instance.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have all Hori parts in almost all of my sticks now. Hayabusa was a bit loose for me stock, but it's my favorite stick ever with a 2lb spring.

I like the hayabusa buttons, too. They feel nice in a really solid stick like the Panthera or Fightinedge.

RagingAvatar

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester
I have all Hori parts in almost all of my sticks now. Hayabusa was a bit loose for me stock, but it's my favorite stick ever with a 2lb spring.

I like the hayabusa buttons, too. They feel nice in a really solid stick like the Panthera or Fightinedge.

My man, I'm the same. I have a Hayabusa VLX that I've fitted the optical Hayabusa stick to and a TE2 that has my non-optical Hayabusa stick. Silent Hayabusa buttons in my VLX and the originals in my TE2. Both with Brook PCBs. :)

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
So for my first stick I want to buy one that will last me a bit between the Razer Panthers, MadCatz TES+ and TE2+ Which one is best?

It's kind of personal preference.

The Razer is the newest and has a solid build with easy access for mods. Has a replacable Pro Cable. It has the greatest height over the other two which are slimmer height wise.

TES+ is nice and compact compared to some of the newer sticks. It's the cheapest of these. To mod, requires you to take the top panel off, so that's a consideration.

TE2+ is great but...top is a little "soft" compared to others and can have issues with the PCB failing. Also, the buttons sit lower than nbormal and require a spacer to be used if you replace buttons on it. It also is a bit "creaky" sounding in regards to the door. Has a replacable Pro Cable.

All use Sanwa stick and buttons, so it will boil down to what you want.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

Keep in mind Madcatz (at least the iteration that sold those fight sticks) is dead, so if you do buy the TES/TE2, don't expect any warranty or future official driver support.

I got the TE2+. PC driver is very finicky and sometimes crashes PC (despite tablet services being deactivated). It happens very rarely, but can still happen during a match.

I never bothered re-installing the TE2+ driver when I moved to a fresh install of Win10. I just use the legacy directinput support built into SFV to control the stick. I'm thinking of eventually replacing the stock PCB with a Janson's EZMod + Brooks PCB in the stick.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

This is actually what we did at my old office. Hayabusa lever with a 2lb spring and the octopus gate since we mostly played 3S on it.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I never bothered re-installing the TE2+ driver when I moved to a fresh install of Win10. I just use the legacy directinput support built into SFV to control the stick. I'm thinking of eventually replacing the stock PCB with a Janson's EZMod + Brooks PCB in the stick.

Eventually, that's what I want to do with my original TE2. I'm afraid one day it will just crap out on me. I hardly use it now though.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody have a link to all of the MadCatz TE2 drivers?

Might be something to add to this thread.

trinitron

Oct 28, 2017
I have the Hori RAP V Hayabusa model with the graphite color faceplate. I'm content with it but if I knew the RAP N was going to come out later, I would have gotten that. I am pretty fond of Sega Astro Citys. Maybe I will follow others in this thread, keep the stick, tinker with the spring and gate to play 3S and Alpha2 off the upcoming SF collection.

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my first fight stick, a Mayflesh F300, for Christmas, subscribing so that I have a readily available resource if or when I decide to upgrade.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Hey ERA.

Listen... I totally suck at fight! games, but I love the whole thing around having such a personal item as a stick that you use to play the game.
It almost kinda reminds me of the three guitar players in Desperado with their weapons of choice in their own guitar cases. Desperado is such a cool movie, dudes...

I like to play fight games, but I haven't played online since like, KI's launch in 2013, and before that was vanilla SFIV's launch. I have so much more fun playing buds when we're in the same room, but I stopped talking to basically anyone I knew that wasn't family years ago, so I just arcade mode it up I guess.

I first signed up for the SRK forums back in '06 or '07 (RIP SRK forums NOT SO FAST!), and unfortunately stopped going there long enough that my account seemed to have been deleted when I tried visiting again back in like... 2013. I miss getting the birthday emails from them, lol. I basically just hung out in the Tech Talk and Trading Post sub-forums there, especially before LizardLick came around (RIP LizardLick).

I started buying a lot of sticks for the 360 because I was so mad I was too late to get a VLX for that system when they were available for decent prices. I need to get the new PS4 Fighting Edge before those are gone for good.

This is my favorite one that I own. I think I like it because I wanted to make it look like the legendary original HRAP SE, which when I saw it, I thought it looked so damn cool. I think I'd need to get the button colors closer and the front panel looking more like the original, though. The thing I like about using this stick the most is probably the LS-40 I put into it. I just love how that thing feels, I guess I should try an LS-56 some day just to see how it feels, too.
pl4MwjR.jpg

I think I prefer the look of this "shape" of fightsticks because it's what I was used to seeing back then and thinking they were so awesome (one of the first "big" fightsticks I ever owned was the T5 "non-HRAP" for PS2. I did something to it though since I didn't have a PS2. I can't remember what). I have this EX-SE, the black 360 non-SE EX HRAP in this shape, the white Fighting Edge for 360, the white VX and the black VX Kai HRAPS for the 360, a Kuro-equipped HRAP for Xbox One, and the first black-colored VLX for PS4. I also had like 3 of the smaller Hori sticks and the smaller Street Fighter IV stick from Mad Catz for 360 but I gave those all away. Even though I'm sure some of you guys have many, many more sticks than I do, for someone who barely plays Fight!games anymore, I think I might have a problem.

I'd like to try and get into actual modding of sticks one day, because I'd like to put I guess some universal PCB into the EX-SE so I could use it anywhere, and I'd like to do something about that cable and get some kind of brushed metal plate on there too.

TL;DR - sorry this was less of an introduction and more of me just kinda rambling. Short version: I'm not anyone important, I just love fightsticks and watching fighting games. It's harder for me to play fight!games nowadays since I suffer from hemiparesis.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of personal preference.

The Razer is the newest and has a solid build with easy access for mods. Has a replacable Pro Cable. It has the greatest height over the other two which are slimmer height wise.

TES+ is nice and compact compared to some of the newer sticks. It's the cheapest of these. To mod, requires you to take the top panel off, so that's a consideration.

TE2+ is great but...top is a little "soft" compared to others and can have issues with the PCB failing. Also, the buttons sit lower than nbormal and require a spacer to be used if you replace buttons on it. It also is a bit "creaky" sounding in regards to the door. Has a replacable Pro Cable.

All use Sanwa stick and buttons, so it will boil down to what you want.

Keep in mind Madcatz (at least the iteration that sold those fight sticks) is dead, so if you do buy the TES/TE2, don't expect any warranty or future official driver support.

Thank you for breaking it down! I didn't know the difference until now! Hm I'll go for a Panthera then!

Oct 28, 2017
Hi folks, quick question;

What's the best quality PCB £30 or under can buy that can switch between DInput and XInput on the fly? Brook's Ultimate PCB is a bit excessive (and quite expensive) for my needs.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
As much as some people are discouraging that: if I want a budget stick, is there anything comparable to the low-end Qanbas (Mayflash maybe)? At least available on Amazon.de, since in Poland all I ever see is either nonames/Hori Minis or Razer/HRAP V? Or should I just wait until Qanba eventually appears?

Also, if I'll be playing (almost?) exclusively on PC - any reason to pay up for Drone instead of just getting the Carbon? Are the parts any better, since the Drone might be a newer gen? Or size/layout differences?

OP
OP
MarkMan

MarkMan

Arcade Stick Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego, CA

I would go with the Razer Panthera. Best performance out of the box and easy to replace parts (if need be) + easy internal access. Another thing that people should note about arcade sticks. They will break down over time. It's not indestructible. Parts wear out and have life cycles just like most mechanical parts. The great thing is, it's easy to replace them.

Wassup markman, where can I find good info on (non-entry level) korean sticks &mods? Seems like every few weeks, players are coming with their own line of stick with different grommets and springs.

As someone previously linked, the SRK discussion for Korean parts is decent. If you want specific feedback for certain parts, it's best to post in there. A lot of that information is outdated though.

Does anybody have a link to all of the MadCatz TE2 drivers?

Might be something to add to this thread.

You can find some of them here: https://rebyte.me/en/madcatz/

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
As much as some people are discouraging that: if I want a budget stick, is there anything comparable to the low-end Qanbas (Mayflash maybe)? At least available on Amazon.de, since in Poland all I ever see is either nonames/Hori Minis or Razer/HRAP V? Or should I just wait until Qanba eventually appears?

Also, if I'll be playing (almost?) exclusively on PC - any reason to pay up for Drone instead of just getting the Carbon? Are the parts any better, since the Drone might be a newer gen? Or size/layout differences?

If you're looking for a budget stick for PC, I'd recommend the Mayflash F300/500. They have the benefit of supporting XInput right out of the stick, no drivers are required.

Deleted member 20295

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Here's my stick, I recently I got back into SFV & MvC3 so I bought a cheap 2nd hand Venom arcade stick and decided to mod it with better parts.
The stick was changed to a Sanwa JLF with a 4lb spring and an oversized actuator, it also has a translucent shaft/dust cover & Sanwa bat top. The buttons are all Seimitsu PS-14's, and I added a Neutrik USB plug with a detachable 3m braided cable.

I plan to spray paint the outer plastic soon with a metallic red (or possibly purple), its amazing how much better the stick feels with the better parts.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Been using MadCatz's TE1 since 2009. Later today I'm picking up Etokki's Omni korean edition stick, can't wait to get my hands on it.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Modern Hori sticks are getting my votes, specifically the ones with a larger gap between the joystick and buttons, so no inadvertent fingers clashing from both hands. It's also nice to have both Noir and Viewlix button layouts.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Hello resetera! This is the first official thread for arcade sticks & arcade style controllers on resetera, as such please introduce yourself and let's start an amazing community together on this site!

I apologize that this initial post does not have all the information yet (which I've been collecting) but feel free to start the discussion.

This thread will serve as a resource, point of discussion and a friendly place to chat about arcade sticks / arcade style controllers.

Here are some fun/cool links in the meantime:

ARCADE STICK PARTS
ARCADE STICKS
MISC RESOURCES
INTRODUCTIONS

Hi resetera, my name is MarkMan and I like arcade sticks. I'm one of the leading authorities on all things arcade stick related. I've worked on and consulted for many companies, including Mad Catz, Hori, PDP, Razer, Qanba, Eightarc and more. I've always been a fan of arcade sticks and gaming controllers, as such I have amassed the single largest collection of retail arcade sticks / controllers known to man.

My first industry leap into this category was during my time with Mad Catz where I spearheaded the project for the original Mad Catz / Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick / FightPad range, including the original FightStick and FightStick Tournament Edition (R.I.P. OG Mad Catz). From 2008 - 2016 I was in charge of all things fighting games (and fighting game community related) at the company until I was laid off. Since then I've worked with a number of other companies in the space and helped continue to support the category & community. To be more specific, I helped work on the Qanba Dragon and Obsidian. I also spearheaded the launch of the Razer Panthera for PS4, an evolution of the Atrox (Xbox 360 & Xbox One). There are a few other projects I worked on, but I'll let the other companies talk about that when it's ready.

More than happy to chat/discuss about these works of art & weapons of the trade. Hoping we can all be friends.

Thank you OP.

No ned to provide your resume, you are a legend :)

Can you do a recommendation for best sticks by price range and or game types?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I prefer Hori sticks overall.
It would be cool to have some EU-centric links in the OP too, but good thread. Really liked one on Shoryuken years ago where there was a comprehensive guide for differences between most sticks.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Anyone still have a Sega VSHG? Mine is in my closet and it's one of those gaming items I'll likely never part with, despite the fact I rarely use it. Just built like a tank and brings back fond memories of playing VF5 for hours on end.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
So my TE2 seems to be getting less responsive after a little over a year. Is this a real thing? I'm kind of a stick neophyte.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I just keep buyin' sticks. Got an eTokki Omni which is great, also heavy, also could be used as a lethal instrument if needed.

Then I got a Hori RAP N. It's pretty slick.

Then I took a glance at the Hori Fighting Edge, and, well...
Cl4TDA4.png

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Official fight stick thread! Nice!

I picked up a Hori Switch stick not long ago via a GS discount for PC and Switch but I am ready to get a stick for PS4 now as well. Learning curve is strange for those not used to it but there is something fun and amazing about having the stick for arcade and fighting games.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
1) I recognize your name and I'm not apart of the FGC yet lol
2) The "r" in the title not being capitalized makes sense....but it still bothers me for some reason
3) I have FG experience with like....Smash Bros, Blazblue, MVC 2/3... But I have always been pretty average I feel(smash I was good)
3) I am looking into seriously getting into a fighting game. I am currently looking at SFV(played but sold) and DB Fighterz(Currently watching the DBS anime
4) I live in Canada so things are more expensive and limiting it seems

I hope to determine not only the game(if not 2-3 games) but the fightstick as well. Only interested in PS4.

I saw:
-Qanba Drone for $99.99
-Hori RAP 4 (IIRC the name) for $179.99-199.99, different colors were different prices
-Qanba Obsidian for $219.99

Anything above $200 admittedly I sort of glossed over. Have there been deals for sticks in Canada? Any come with a game? I ask because I recently saw newegg deals including DB Fighterz with sticks.

EDIT: I don't want to mod and I want something that will last

Canadian here. I've ordered two sticks from Amazon UK because they are far cheaper than anything locally. HRAP4 Kai is my preference. You don't have to mod anything (but you can if you want later on).

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
TK52gEpl.jpg

My sticks I need to Frankenstein out. Convert to PS4/XB1, art, all that jazz. I'll get around to it eventually, but I'm super lazy in that regard -_-

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone get their hands on a Mixbox? The site seems to be on a holiday hiatus, and I'm curious about the board they are using.