• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018

I'm kinda glad I'm basically new and don't really care enough to need whatever advanced techniques in Smash that would require that stick...I've been playing fine with my normal 8-way stick and a 3 button config (special/smash/shield). Would be 4 buttons but couldn't get my head around having jump on a button, even though on a pad I use the jump button all the time.

Hmm just realized I haven't tried Ryu/Ken with the stick yet, couldn't get a hang of them at all when I tried with the joycons before.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I need to quit lollygagging and just install a Brook UFB in my old SF4 SE. I pulled my Fighting Edge PS4 out of its box for the first time in case I needed a stick on the go and it's so large it doesn't fit in my bag.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any experience with the Brook retro board? Does it have any better support for TG16/PCE and SNES than the Cthulhu one does?

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
Got the new Etokki stick today and it's glorious:

GBt8cws.jpg

MrDoctor

Oct 26, 2017
USA
hey, so i'm in the market for a new stick after my PS3 Fighting Edge stopped functioning(rip, sweet prince). what are my options right now of similar quality for PS4? PS3 compatibility is preferred, but not necessary.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
hey, so i'm in the market for a new stick after my PS3 Fighting Edge stopped functioning(rip, sweet prince). what are my options right now of similar quality for PS4? PS3 compatibility is preferred, but not necessary.
I'd be interested in trying to figure out what happened to your stick, because it would be a shame to leave it broken.

Failing a repair of the original board, I'd normally suggest swapping internal PCBs with a Brook PCB, but I'm not sure how nicely you can get that working with the PS3 FE; worst case scenario there is installing additional physical buttons to get Start and other buttons the FE places on the touch surface. They sell a PS3/PS4 PCB (intended to be as small as possible, but most resellers have plug and play solutions that attach to it), the PS4+audio PCB, and the UFB (that aims to be compatible with literally anything you can plug it into).

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

PS4 fighting edge, lol. It's not ps3 compatible, though.

Could always buy a brook adapter if you need it.

MrDoctor

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I'd be interested in trying to figure out what happened to your stick, because it would be a shame to leave it broken.

Failing a repair of the original board, I'd normally suggest swapping internal PCBs with a Brook PCB, but I'm not sure how nicely you can get that working with the PS3 FE; worst case scenario there is installing additional physical buttons to get Start and other buttons the FE places on the touch surface. They sell a PS3/PS4 PCB (intended to be as small as possible, but most resellers have plug and play solutions that attach to it), the PS4+audio PCB, and the UFB (that aims to be compatible with literally anything you can plug it into).
I get a "unknown usb device" message on PS3, if that helps. PS4 and PC, nothing.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I get a "unknown usb device" message on PS3, if that helps. PS4 and PC, nothing.
I'd probably start by taking a multimeter to the inside USB cable connections and making sure they have continuity with the pins on the connector. Frayed USB cord is the most likely culprit in my mind, and that's a relatively easy fix.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
sorry for the possibly stupid question: Are brook adapters safe now? I remember back in the day reading how they would bork your ports but people seem to recommend/use them pretty liberally now.

My PS4 MadCatz TE2+ died, the joystick wont respond to any input except for down, and only if I'm pressing X at the same time lol.

I have a 360 SF4 TE that still works so I was looking at a 260->PS4 adapter.

Thanks!

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sorry for the possibly stupid question: Are brook adapters safe now? I remember back in the day reading how they would bork your ports but people seem to recommend/use them pretty liberally now.

My PS4 MadCatz TE2+ died, the joystick wont respond to any input except for down, and only if I'm pressing X at the same time lol.

Thanks!

That was never brook adapters. Those were cronus max and another brand. Brooks are really widely used. I've got several adapters, their pcbs in my cab, and the wireless adapter for xbx controllers.

They're definitely safe.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks!
I use both their yellow P3/P4 to P3/P4 adapter and a bunch of their internal PCBs. I've never had an issue other than the 8 minute timeout occasionally resurfacing whenever Sony decides they want to continue the little cat and mouse game they're having with Brook.

If you want to keep using your TE2+, it should be fairly trivial to install a Brook UFB inside it to continue using it adapter-free.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
That was never brook adapters. Those were cronus max and another brand. Brooks are really widely used. I've got several adapters, their pcbs in my cab, and the wireless adapter for xbx controllers.

They're definitely safe.
I use both their yellow P3/P4 to P3/P4 adapter and a bunch of their internal PCBs. I've never had an issue other than the 8 minute timeout occasionally resurfacing whenever Sony decides they want to continue the little cat and mouse game they're having with Brook.

If you want to keep using your TE2+, it should be fairly trivial to install a Brook UFB inside it to continue using it adapter-free.

Thanks for the info guys! And yes the name Cronus Max rings a bell now lol. Got totally confused I guess.

I'll look into the Brook UFB. Looks like it doesnt need soldering? Thats where I fail when it comes to dealing with sticks haha.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I'll look into the Brook UFB. Looks like it doesnt need soldering? Thats where I fail when it comes to dealing with sticks haha.
That's correct. It uses screw terminals for every basic input; you'd basically just cut the existing wiring as close to the PCB you're removing as you can, strip the wire a little, and screw them into the appropriate sockets. The only Brook board that isn't solderless by default is the tiny PS3/PS4 board, but most resellers of it have their own add-on solutions for getting around that if that's the route you want to go.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Hori fighting commander's D-pad is about to break free. Are there any recommendations for a new Fightpad?

Mdsfx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have a spare 5-pin joystick connector they'd be willing to sell to me? I need the connector on both sides. Missing my f500 and realized my jlf only had the connector on one end. Prefer not to splice and solder...

Edit: nevermind! Grabbed a pack of them on Amazon. Let me know if you need one!

Last edited:

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to use a DS4 with my X1X and I'm just wondering what people would recommend using (CronusMax, Brook or something else I'm not aware of).

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Hey guys, just got a Razer Panthera Evo and wanted to ask if the plastic components surrounding the Sanwa joystick (the lever and balltop) are supposed to rotate?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Yes, I was talking about the shaft cover. Not the dustwatcher though, but the actual plastic ball on top of the lever. When I grip it, I can spin it either clock or counterwise.
Oh, no. The balltop should not move. If you can hold the shaft and spin the ball (no innuendo intended) and the ball can come off, you need to open the thing up and screw the ball on properly.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I was talking about the shaft cover. Not the dustwatcher though, but the actual plastic ball on top of the lever. When I grip it, I can spin it either clock or counterwise.
Oh, no. The balltop should not move. If you can hold the shaft and spin the ball (no innuendo intended) and the ball can come off, you need to open the thing up and screw the ball on properly.
To be clear, it can spin, but if it can spin AND come off (i.e. unscrew) then that's a problem. If it just freely rotates without unscrewing, then that's normal (it's actually not the balltop, it's the shaft)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Put in a sanwa JLF today in my new Hori RAP (SCVI). My first time using one.

I love it.
I prefer Hori's Hayabusa stick to the JLF. Sanwa still has the better buttons, but Hori's buttons are pretty decent now too.

When it comes to stock spring only, I think I acutally prefer Sanwa, but both aren't bad.

Case-in-point for me came when I ended up replacing my previously mentioned Hayabusa Optical Silent stick with the Sanwa JLF Silent v3, thanks to ArcadeShock being open to doing the exchange after my Hayabusa Optical had issues with the last Sony firmware update (it was timing out on PS4). I had installed a 1.5lb spring into both my stock and optical Hayabusa sticks so that the stick didn't "bounce" to an opposite input after returning to neutral, and it was fine after that point. My stock spring occasionally would register opposite inputs upon return to neutral, didn't feel like the spring would prevent the stick from registering.

So I guess I have the opposite preference of JusDoIt , where I like the Hori Hayabusa buttons and the Sanwa stick, but that isn't to say that Hayabusa's not good. Just needed the spring mod for me and it was perfect, aside from the optical one causing timeout issues due to some super obscure issue in the last firmware Sony pushed to PS4 (this is according to Arcade Shock, who said Hori had become aware of an issue in the specific instance of people using a optical stick in the Hori Fighting Edge).

Anyway, I have a silent stick, its stock spring tension is great and it doesn't bounce back and register opposing inputs on returning to neutral. I'm a happy camper.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
To be clear, it can spin, but if it can spin AND come off (i.e. unscrew) then that's a problem. If it just freely rotates without unscrewing, then that's normal (it's actually not the balltop, it's the shaft)

It spins, but it seems like it does not unscrew. I made a gif of it (sorry for the poor quality)

This is my first arcade stick, so I just want to make sure everything is okay.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It spins, but it seems like it does not unscrew. I made a gif of it (sorry for the poor quality)

Yeah, this may just be the shaft itself spinning. If you hold the shaft cover a bit and spin the ball top does it feel like the inside is moving? On that same note, you should actually be able to pull the ball up a bit while you spin it (again, no innuendo) and see the shaft a bit, if you can turn it and see the shaft moving you're fine. You can usually tell right away if the ball is loose or if the shaft is spinning.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

This looks like it's fine. The stick is not intended to be completely stationary like you find with an analog stick in a regular game pad. There will be some spin due to the way the shaft is suspended in the stick's chassis. This will occur standard in any Sanwa JLF or Hori Hayabusa sticks that are available today, and the Razer sticks use Sanwa JLF joysticks.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Yeah, this may just be the shaft itself spinning. If you hold the shaft cover a bit and spin the ball top does it feel like the inside is moving? On that same note, you should actually be able to pull the ball up a bit while you spin it (again, no innuendo) and see the shaft a bit, if you can turn it and see the shaft moving you're fine. You can usually tell right away if the ball is loose or if the shaft is spinning.

Yes, it's like you described, the shaft moves simultaneously with the ball when I spin it.

This looks like it's fine. The stick is not intended to be completely stationary like you find with an analog stick in a regular game pad. There will be some spin due to the way the shaft is suspended in the stick's chassis. This will occur standard in any Sanwa JLF or Hori Hayabusa sticks that are available today, and the Razer sticks use Sanwa JLF joysticks.

Okay, looks like everything is fine then. Thank you everyone!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'd like to get a few arcade sticks (2 at least) but I don't want something that's really big, and mainly want to use it to play with my laptop/pc. What's a good affordable model to get?

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
I'd like to get a few arcade sticks (2 at least) but I don't want something that's really big, and mainly want to use it to play with my laptop/pc. What's a good affordable model to get?
I recommend the Qanba Carbon as a decent, cheap PC arcade controller. Supports both X-input and D-input and the parts are easily upgradable to arcade-spec if you want to do that later on, too.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

If you're looking for really small fight stick for portability, the Mayflash F300 Elite is $90 is a good choice. It has DInput/XInput support and comes with Sanwa parts.

If you want a mid-size stick, the Mayflash F500 is good as well. Same price as the F300 Elite, but uses knockoff Sanwa parts which, while not as good as the genuine article, are still comparable to other sticks in the $60-100 price range. The main selling points of the stick is it can be used across almost all current/prior-gen consoles & PC and it's very easy to swap out the stick & buttons with better parts.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Those are two models to look up, thanks.

If you're looking for really small fight stick for portability, the Mayflash F300 Elite is $90 is a good choice. It has DInput/XInput support and comes with Sanwa parts.

If you want a mid-size stick, the Mayflash F500 is good as well. Same price as the F300 Elite, but uses knockoff Sanwa parts which, while not as good as the genuine article, are still comparable to other sticks in the $60-100 price range. The main selling points of the stick is it can be used across almost all current/prior-gen consoles & PC and it's very easy to swap out the stick & buttons with better parts.
Hmm how is the regular Mayflash F300?
https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-F300-Arcade-Joystick-SWITCH/dp/B019MFPLC0/

Last edited:

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017

This Mayflash sticks seem quite moddable. Is there any info about input lag for them? I'm trying to get my first stick on the cheap side since everything's so expensive in Argentina (a RAP 4 is about U$S 250 here). So it's cheaper and easier to get a small stick like this one and maybe if it's needed use a Brook PCB.

Between the F300 and the Elite the only difference are the sanwa parts?

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
This Mayflash sticks seem quite moddable. Is there any info about input lag for them? I'm trying to get my first stick on the cheap side since everything's so expensive in Argentina (a RAP 4 is about U$S 250 here). So it's cheaper and easier to get a small stick like this one and maybe if it's needed use a Brook PCB.

Between the F300 and the Elite the only difference are the sanwa parts?

The only information I ever found online was a single Youtube video of a guy wiring an F300 and a fight stick using a Magic Stick M5 to the same light punch button in SFIV training mode. The M5 stick Ryu would occasionally counter-hit jab the F300 Ryu, so I'm guessing the F300 input lag is +8ms if the M5 is occasionally beating it. That said, I own a TE2+ and F500 and I've never felt a difference in responsiveness. YMMV if you're playing a game that has true 1 frame links like SFIV, but I think for anything other than really high-level play, the stock PCB is quite serviceable.

Yeah, the only difference between the normal and elite version is the sanwa parts. The parts themselves would run you the $30 difference in price, so unless you hate the color scheme on the elite, it's worth the price.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Does anybody know something about the nacon daija arcade stick? I know its only available in europe but maybe somebody has experience with? And yeah, i heard about the nasty customer service of nacon...

Last edited:

Roge_NES

Feb 18, 2018
Any recommendations for sticks storage/display? I found this recommendation on instagram but it seems that Walmart doesn't carry the shoe rack anymore.

qlnhToo.png

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Is it cheaper to get an allfightstick case with all the buttons/wires/PCB in the long run? I'm also wondering if it's easy replacing the button panels to stick/hitbox style if I ever felt like switching.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Is it cheaper to get an allfightstick case with all the buttons/wires/PCB in the long run? I'm also wondering if it's easy replacing the button panels to stick/hitbox style if I ever felt like switching.
If you want something that's not Sanwa or Hayabusa parts and would be swapping the board anyway, yes. Otherwise if you're on PS4 a HRAP V4 Kai (the newer one, which should be all that's around now) or similar would have you covered for PS3/PS4/PC. It's $150 normal price and can frequently be had for less. There are also a host of other options from Qanba, Razer, etc, that will all cost less than a full custom if you're not going to be changing anything from stock.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

The Qanba EVO Drone has Sanwa parts and is mini sized but just large enough that you can use it comfortably. Perfect for travel and small areas. It's $99 now.