• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MarkMan

Arcade Stick Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego, CA
WyrfEEi.png

Hello resetera! This is the first official thread for arcade sticks & arcade style controllers on resetera, as such please introduce yourself and let's start an amazing community together on this site!

I apologize that this initial post does not have all the information yet (which I've been collecting) but feel free to start the discussion.

This thread will serve as a resource, point of discussion and a friendly place to chat about arcade sticks / arcade style controllers.

Here are some fun/cool links in the meantime:

ARCADE STICK PARTS
ARCADE STICKS
MISC RESOURCES
INTRODUCTIONS

Hi resetera, my name is MarkMan and I like arcade sticks. I'm one of the leading authorities on all things arcade stick related. I've worked on and consulted for many companies, including Mad Catz, Hori, PDP, Razer, Qanba, Eightarc and more. I've always been a fan of arcade sticks and gaming controllers, as such I have amassed the single largest collection of retail arcade sticks / controllers known to man.

My first industry leap into this category was during my time with Mad Catz where I spearheaded the project for the original Mad Catz / Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick / FightPad range, including the original FightStick and FightStick Tournament Edition (R.I.P. OG Mad Catz). From 2008 - 2016 I was in charge of all things fighting games (and fighting game community related) at the company until I was laid off. Since then I've worked with a number of other companies in the space and helped continue to support the category & community. To be more specific, I helped work on the Qanba Dragon and Obsidian. I also spearheaded the launch of the Razer Panthera for PS4, an evolution of the Atrox (Xbox 360 & Xbox One). There are a few other projects I worked on, but I'll let the other companies talk about that when it's ready.

More than happy to chat/discuss about these works of art & weapons of the trade. Hoping we can all be friends.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The thread of my dreams is here omfg I'm currently broke and only have a Hori commander pad but I've never owned a arcade stick I need to get good with one soon.

Do you recommend the TES or TES+ to start out? Or just building

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yo hook me up fam :p

I'm normally a pad guy but got a Qanba Drone to test out/potentially mod since it was cheap. It's fun to play MvCI on, but the thing that bugs me is that the art is bolted on. Is vinyl art for the front of arcade sticks a thing?

OP
OP
MarkMan

MarkMan

Arcade Stick Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hi resetera, my name is MarkMan and I like arcade sticks. I'm one of the leading authorities on all things arcade stick related. I've worked on and consulted for many companies, including Mad Catz, Hori, PDP, Razer, Qanba, Eightarc and more. I've always been a fan of arcade sticks and gaming controllers, as such I have amassed the single largest collection of retail arcade sticks / controllers known to man.

My first industry leap into this category was during my time with Mad Catz where I spearheaded the project for the original Mad Catz / Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick / FightPad range, including the original FightStick and FightStick Tournament Edition (R.I.P. OG Mad Catz). From 2008 - 2016 I was in charge of all things fighting games (and fighting game community related) at the company until I was laid off. Since then I've worked with a number of other companies in the space and helped continue to support the category & community. To be more specific, I helped work on the Qanba Dragon and Obsidian. I also spearheaded the launch of the Razer Panthera for PS4, an evolution of the Atrox (Xbox 360 & Xbox One). There are a few other projects I worked on, but I'll let the other companies talk about that when it's ready.

More than happy to chat/discuss about these works of art & weapons of the trade. Hoping we can all be friends.

EDIT: Also edited into the OP! Everyone else, please introduce yourself as well!

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
ffs I will have my Ken SFIV FightPad, it works on Windows 10 and everything, just plug n play

MarkManda GOAT

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Is the stick on the TES+ supposed to feel 'loose'? I've only had experience with the Hori Mini 4 so I dunno.

The thread of my dreams is here omfg I'm currently broke and only have a Hori commander pad but I've never owned a arcade stick I need to get good with one soon.

I would recommend buying the TES and getting a Brooks Converter if you wanna save some cash, but otherwise I would get the TES+ if you're willing to shop around a bit. Otherwise, you can try your hand at building your own. Be warned there might be some soldering involved, depending on what you wanna make and what parts you use.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys remember those handmade TMO mini fight sticks from like 2008 or 2009.
Those were so beautiful.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone with a fighting edge ps4 have a weird thing where if you push down (as in hitting the bottom switch) the stick has a slight click? Only happens when pushing down on the stick.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Good, finally it got remade.

I kind of wonder if Slagcoin will ever be updated again. It's been 8 years since the last tagged update and so much has happened and been released in so many fronts. I'd almost be willing to help update it for modern stuff just because it deserves it.

OP
OP
MarkMan

MarkMan

Arcade Stick Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego, CA

Personally I would recommend getting something in the $150-$200 price range. Arcade sticks are a commitment. Not everyone can adjust to them right away. In fact, if you're more comfortable with a standard controller -- don't be afraid to stick to it. It's always nice to learn arcade sticks so you can play on more than just pad, however. That being said. I would recommend anything with Sanwa parts (JLF and OBSF-30 buttons) to start.

Do you guys remember those handmade TMO mini fight sticks from like 2008 or 2009.
Those were so beautiful.

I sure do! Some of their original designs (the all black ones) were amazing. Great woodwork and something you don't see nowadays.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm slowly starting to collect these. I've gone from SFIV-era casual to current day fighting game fanatic. I 'll take some pics of my sticks soon.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I kind of want to mod a VSHG into a PS4 stick /Brook universal perhaps, but it's a new sealed MIB one so everytime I think of doing it, I tell myself nah just save it.

I don't need anymore PS4 sticks, but I really liked the Sega stick.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
So is this a thing ? You ask people to take a picture holding your stick ?

No, but if you want it to be a thing then by all means whatever floats your boat.

I kind of want to mod a VSHG into a PS4 stick /Brook universal perhaps, but it's a new sealed MIB one so everytime I think of doing it, I tell myself nah just save it.

I don't need anymore PS4 sticks, but I really liked the Sega stick.

That stick has no value stock due to the PS3 being overshadowed by the PS4 and everything else and the fact that it has a terrible and glitchy PCB (multiple button input issues with Tekken for example). You are best to just mod it.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I've got the RAP4 Kai for my PS4 but with all the shmups on Switch (and not a SINGLE halfway decent d-pad on the platform) I think I need a stick for that as well.

Jan 11, 2018
Dunedin, New Zealand
Been messing around with a poverty hitbox I just built. Bought a USB encoder and some knockoff buttons of Aliexpress and put them in a cardboard box. It's not great, but it's usable. Definitely convinced me that I need to build a proper one now.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I've got the RAP4 Kai for my PS4 but with all the shmups on Switch (and not a SINGLE halfway decent d-pad on the platform) I think I need a stick for that as well.
If you're willing to do a little wiring (that is actually very easy to do) you can use a Brook UFB and it'll work on Xbox One, 360, PS3, PS4, PC and Switch.

And original Xbox if you're into that.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have an OG TE2 for PS4 without a touchpad or R3 button.

Interested in upgrading for the added functionality, but honestly not sure what to get.

The Obsidian seems nice as it's similar in size, more solid like the old TEs, and has the same Sanwa parts.

I'm interested in the HRAP Kai though as well, but I've never used a Hori stick or their Hayabusa parts.

Any suggestions?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I got the TE2+. PC driver is very finicky and sometimes crashes PC (despite tablet services being deactivated). It happens very rarely, but can still happen during a match. Build quality is good. It's very easy to open and mod (literally a "button press"). The disadvantage of that is that it feels less sturdy if you push onto it. Overall it's a great medium-range stick. Also works on PS3. The implementation of a R3/L3 button is a godsend for trials. Sadly it has no longer rapid-fire for some reason. I rarely used it, but there were games where it made sense temporarily.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017

Interested in upgrading for the added functionality, but honestly not sure what to get.

The Obsidian seems nice as it's similar in size, more solid like the old TEs, and has the same Sanwa parts.

I'm interested in the HRAP Kai though as well, but I've never used a Hori stick or their Hayabusa parts.

Any suggestions?

I don't think you'd go wrong with either of those sticks. I don't care for levers much, but I did prefer the feel of the Hayabusa one in the RAP4 I had compared to the Sanwa JLF in my TES+. I also liked the really short throw and matte finish on the Hayabusa buttons, but it wasn't really much of a difference to me compared to the levers (which feel noticeably different).

Thing is if you don't have the opportunity to try one for yourself, I don't know if I'd gamble on the lever feel, unless you aren't crazy about the Sanwa in your TE2.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, I've been eager to see this thread get underway!

I started using fight sticks in late 2016 when I got back into fighting games with SFV. I found using a stick for me is a lot easier on my hands & thumbs than gripping a controller. I started off with a TES+ that I RMA'ed to Mad Catz right before they went under. :( I moved onto a Mayflash F500 and then a TE2+ which I picked up second-hand for a steal. Currently, I mainly use the TE2+ at home and bring the F500 with me to local tournys.

I also enjoy the modding aspect of fight sticks as well. My TE2+ is still stock at the moment, but I've poked around with my F500 adding Sanwa parts and new artwork: http://nintendoagemedia.com/users/17354/photobucket/C967E10D-FECA-4F7C-2B3D5CC4B7C7E7E8.png Since I took that picture, I added non-slip padding on the bottom, rubber feet, and attached a guitar strap for easy carrying.

Cross-posting a question I posed over on the fighting game OT:

Has anyone tried higher tension springs and/or larger actuators on their joysticks? I've been wondering if using a larger actuator might improve my Chun-Li game by shortening the throw when doing her charge specials. I've also run into an execution issue while playing characters that have quarter-circle and charge specials like Chun-Li and Urien: When I'm making a quarter-circle motion while doing a crouching attack, sometimes my flick of the stick will register an UP directional and cause a DOWN-UP charge special to go off instead. I'm wondering if a stronger spring will help prevent that or is it just a case of bad execution?

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
Ive been working on a 3d printable Arcade Stick enclosure so ill probably toss some images of that up sometime tomorrow.

What are the cheapest options for current gen PCBs? (Im looking for ones that don't require padhacking, but i am also interested in the padhacking answers).

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I can't tell whether it'd be worth it to mod my Qanba Drone or just try to scoop something else up for art modding purposes

Less about competition and more fashion

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you'd go wrong with either of those sticks. I don't care for levers much, but I did prefer the feel of the Hayabusa one in the RAP4 I had compared to the Sanwa JLF in my TES+. I also liked the really short throw and matte finish on the Hayabusa buttons, but it wasn't really much of a difference to me compared to the levers (which feel noticeably different).

Thing is if you don't have the opportunity to try one for yourself, I don't know if I'd gamble on the lever feel, unless you aren't crazy about the Sanwa in your TE2.
That's the tricky part: every stick I've owned has had the same Sanwa parts, so I have nothing to compare them to. I could play it safe or I could go for the cheaper stick and perhaps really like the Hayabusa parts.

I've read a lot of similar comments to yours about the Hayabusa parts, so perhaps I'll give that a go. Worst case scenario, I do have three other sticks all with Sanwa parts, so I could replace the Hayabusa parts if need be.

Thanks for your input.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017

Any suggestions?

An upgrade in pcb to the brook universal fightboard will give you touchpad back at least.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Still use the Hori V3 with Sanwa buttons from 2011 on PC. Did not regret my purchase. As for pad, I use a cheap Saitek 6 button 8way pad and it does wonders for 2d fighters

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I've been waiting for this!

Here's my Hori "Kuro diamond" VLX (all Sanwa) with a brook UFB connected to a little project I've been working on for the arrival of my Super NT: A chassis that contains Undamned's USB decoder and an MC Cthulhu so I can play with my VLX on the Super NT.

fRlBHpI.jpg

Nice, that looks almost like my Hori Kuro VLX but slightly different. The top plate has a silver surrounding where as mines is black. I also replaced them with Sanwa's within a few weeks of buying it. I gave the kuro's a shot but really disliked them.

I also bought the new Hori Fighting Edge which comes with the new Hayabusa buttons. I was worried I wouldn't like them because I didn't like the Kuro's but the Hayabusa buttons feel pretty good. They also feel a little different than Sanwa's which is a good thing IMO. The funny thing is that I'm not even using my Fighting Edge or VLX. They're both beautiful sticks and I want them to remain in pristine condition so after using both for a bit I put them back in their box. My MCZ TE2 has been my main stick and it already looks beat up now so I'll just keep beating up on it so that all my sticks don't look like crap.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Overall though I have 5 sticks. This is the order in which I bought them

MCZ TE-S
Qanba Q4 RAF
MCZ TE2
Hori RAP4 VLX Kuro
Hori Fighting Edge

Use to own and reason why I don't anymore

Hori Fighting Stick 3: It was the first stick I ever bought and it's a piece of shit. I gave it to a cousin and I have no idea if he still has it or not.

Hori VLX: The original red and white one that Hori put out in 2011 or whenever. Unfortunately I didn't take very good care of this and let the paint start chipping and I accidentally scratched it as well. I sold it to buy the black Kuro version.

MCZ EVO Stick: This was a limited edition stick sold only during EVO 2012(or 13?) that was designed using the EVO colors and logo and used the MCZ Fight Stick Pro as its model. In the end I really wasn't a fan of the stick itself and decided to sell it so that I could buy the new Hori Fighting Edge instead. Unless this stick becomes super valuable in 10-20 years and is going for thousands of dollars then I have no regrets as I much prefer the looks and feel of the Fighting Edge more.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
I've dumped a lot of my last gen sticks.

Use a Qanba Obsidian now. It's a wonderful stick.

Nothing compares to the MadCatz SFxT VS Stick. Not the VS Pro, but the VS with the attachment feature. It weighed 1000 pounds and is the perfect arcade stick. Too bad it's an absolute pain to find nowadays/stupid expensive on eBay.

Dec 14, 2017
Ah yeah, a new era of arcade sticks her we go. I'm using an old HRAP kai 3 still, but I plan on building another stick soon. My last built stick, which is dissassembled at the moment, had a seimitsu ls-32 and sanwa buttons. Not sure if I'm going to get new stuff for it.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
That's the tricky part: every stick I've owned has had the same Sanwa parts, so I have nothing to compare them to. I could play it safe or I could go for the cheaper stick and perhaps really like the Hayabusa parts.

I've read a lot of similar comments to yours about the Hayabusa parts, so perhaps I'll give that a go. Worst case scenario, I do have three other sticks all with Sanwa parts, so I could replace the Hayabusa parts if need be.

Thanks for your input.

I do not like Hori's Kai stick. Buttons shake a little more and have a shorter throw than Sanwa but are over all inoffensive, but shell of the stick is too narrow for my taste, and the stick is also a bit "loose" feeling?

Also this might have been fixed in newer models but I remember input delay being worse on the Kai compared to other current gen sticks.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I probably got a little ahead of myself in buying one before there are even that many games I'd use it for, but I got this baby for my Switch:

SW_RAP_1__47146.1501877704.1280.1280-crop-1.jpg

It's really nice! But uh, Hori? Why is R on the left and L on the right?

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to finally see this thread! Thanks for making it MarkMan . Definitely one of my favourite ones to lurk. Love seeing all the different arcade sticks.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
It's really nice! But uh, Hori? Why is R on the left and L on the right?
Most sticks map the L and R buttons like that. Don't know who first started using that button layout, though.
My guess is the R-buttons are part of the 6-button layout in order to correspond with the right-hand buttons on a gamepad. The L buttons are extra buttons and are mostly there for convenience.

Neptonic

Oct 25, 2017
Tucson, AZ

I put a better Sanwa stick in my Mayflash F300
feels way better now

I was inspired to finally do this by Woolie's fight stick video:

EDIT: OP WAIT FUCK YOU'RE MARKMAN
YOU'RE A LEGEND

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Thought we had a stick thread already, guess I was wrong lol. Thanks Markman

Came at a good time too. Doing some customization to my HRAP right now actually. I just commissioned a piece of art for it and got a new Hayabusa lever to replace the old one. Might get new buttons but my set of Sanwas is going strong still. Hoping I don't accidentally break them I take them out when I swap the art... But I'll share some pics when it's done. I'm really excited for the finished result.

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1) I recognize your name and I'm not apart of the FGC yet lol
2) The "r" in the title not being capitalized makes sense....but it still bothers me for some reason
3) I have FG experience with like....Smash Bros, Blazblue, MVC 2/3... But I have always been pretty average I feel(smash I was good)
3) I am looking into seriously getting into a fighting game. I am currently looking at SFV(played but sold) and DB Fighterz(Currently watching the DBS anime
4) I live in Canada so things are more expensive and limiting it seems

I hope to determine not only the game(if not 2-3 games) but the fightstick as well. Only interested in PS4.

I saw:
-Qanba Drone for $99.99
-Hori RAP 4 (IIRC the name) for $179.99-199.99, different colors were different prices
-Qanba Obsidian for $219.99

Anything above $200 admittedly I sort of glossed over. Have there been deals for sticks in Canada? Any come with a game? I ask because I recently saw newegg deals including DB Fighterz with sticks.

EDIT: I don't want to mod and I want something that will last

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarkMan

MarkMan

Arcade Stick Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego, CA
Just putting it out there... my favorite sticks are...

• Namco Arcade Stick (Hori) made for Tekken 2 & Soul Edge/Blade
  • Hori Real Arcade PRO Special Edition, less than 400 units made
  • Mad Catz Chun-Li FightStick TE-S
  • Hori VLX Diamond
  • Razer Panthera - Street Fighter V Edition, the artwork!

Deleted member 38333

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Was pretty content with pad for a while(Hori Fighting Commander) but recently invested in a Hori RAP 4 N Hayabusa and it's really grown on me. Used to play with a Mad Catz Fightstick SE and just couldn't get used to it.

Honestly wish there were more Fightpads available out there though. The Fighting Commander's d-pad is kinda rough.