Resetera December 2017 Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Foreword:

Welcome our December 2017 newsletter! If you've looked at your calendar, you might have noticed that it's not December nor 2017 anymore which means this newsletter is tardy. Unfortunately, vacations, holidays and the associated travel, along with several illnesses prevented us from getting this newsletter out last month. We hope you still enjoy this delayed December 2017 newsletter.

Site Update:

We rolled out the newest update (v1.3) in December and you see the full changelog here. Work continues on v2.0, and we'll have more to announce about it the future.

Mod Team Update:

We’ve got more to announce here than we originally planned. The big item first: Methuselah recently experienced a sudden change in real life circumstances that require him to take an extended hiatus from the site altogether. We’d like to thank him for his tremendous contributions in getting the site up and running and carrying us this far. The staff and community alike owe him bigtime.

As a result, Selina is now being promoted to Administrator so that she can replace him as a Mod Team Captain alongside Rowlf. Selina is an exemplary moderator who has earned the confidence of her predecessor and the entire team. If you have any questions or comments about our moderation please continue to reach out to these two outstanding individuals.

Finally, since our last update we’ve added a few new moderators who we would like to formally introduce now. Please welcome:

B-Dubs
Lady Murasaki
Pau
Queen Kong
Ron Paul (perfectchaos007)

We’re excited for the new perspectives each of these moderators will bring to the team. As always you can find the complete and updated staff roster here.

Funding Update:

We mentioned a while ago that we were committed to self-funding the site through the end of 2017 and we are very pleased to have met that commitment. Things remain in motion, but to ensure that the site will be self-sufficient we expect to monetize starting this month and will provide a detailed update when plans are finalized.

Q&Era Update:

We had our first Q&Era successfully completed with the Lizardcube and DotEMU, the folks behind Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap. You can read the thread in its entirety here. Thanks again to Lizardcube and DotEMU for answering the questions, and thanks to you the community for providing some excellent questions for them to answer. We're incredible happy with the level of response we've had both from the community and the gaming industry with the Q&Era.

Our next Q&Era is going to be with team behind games like SteamWorld Dig 2 and SteamWorld Heist: Image & Form Games. There's still time to submit questions! Check out the thread here for full details including how to submit a question. You have until January 6th, 2018 at 5:00 AM GMT to submit.

GOTY Update:

If you missed it, GOTY voting for Resetera's 2017 GOTY is already underway! Please check out the thread here for full details including how to properly format your list. Voting ends Sunday, January 21st, 2018 at 5:59am PST / 8:59am EST.

New Game Releases:

Although December is a slower month for video game releases, there will still a few notable releases. You can find their OTs below.
Community Spotlights:

Video Game Community Spotlights from the past month:
Etectera Community Spotlights from the past month:
Community Events:

This section of the newsletter is set aside for Community Events. Please note that any events mentioned here are not officially sponsored, organized by, or affiliated with ResetEra, LLC or the site staff. These are community run and community operated. We cannot police these events, but we'd like to acknowledge the hard work and camaraderie of the community. If you have community events that you are going to be hosting, please contact SweetNicole if you would like to be included in a future newsletter.

Thread Of The Month:

We'd like to highlight an inspiring community effort this month to help out of one of ResetEra's own members. Doctors told me today I have around 8 weeks to live started out as a heartbreaking thread about death and the fragility of life, but it quickly transformed into a wonderful example of how remarkable this community really is.

Although our policy ordinarily is to never permit personal fundraising, the community's desire to rally in a true life or death situation was so clear and so powerful that we decided to make an extraordinary exception and get out of the way. Since then the community has organically organized an effort that has already raised 81% towards the total cost of treatment. If you want to start the New Year feeling good about humanity, this is a great thread to read.

How did you like this newsletter? Are there things you would like to see included in future ones? What sort of changes should we make to improve the format? Please sound off in the replies to this thread.

This concludes the December Newsletter. Thanks for being the best community on the internet. Here's to a great 2018!

emag

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the update. The format is great -- not too verbose, not too terse, not too broad, and not too niche. And with a perfect choice for thread of the month.

Looking forward to reading more about the monetization. Era Gold, here I come!

AJx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funding Update:

We mentioned a while ago that we were committed to self-funding the site through the end of 2017 and we are very pleased to have met that commitment. Things remain in motion, but to ensure that the site will be self-sufficient we expect to monetize starting this month and will provide a detailed update when plans are finalized.
How much transparency will we get? It would be cool if we could see site revenue and costs.

Oct 25, 2017
How much transparency will we get? It would be cool if we could see site revenue and costs.
this would be cool.

also I dig the newsletter.

Will there be in-site purchases? View 5 topics max and then you have to wait 30 mins before viewing the next 5. Or you can pay a 25 cents.

Oct 28, 2017
No because frankly they deserve to make money on this as they can. And on the plus side it keeps them somewhat accountable to us. So long as the monetization isn’t egregious it should be fine.

Hopefully there will be a sub-based no-ad model (with no other benefit). That’s tricky though.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
With ron paul on board, I see we have taken the idea of a gold membership literally and are actively pursuing the gold standard.

Oct 25, 2017
May I mention that Tokyo Xanadu eX+ got a Western release in December? :P

Here's the OT:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/tokyo-xanadu-ex-ot-a-fantasy-based-on-reality.10047/

Edit: Thanks!

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, finally all that sweet mod cash!

Seriously though, it's been a challenge and a pleasure to mod for you guys. I still dislike warning folk but I actually think that's a good quality :p

This community is amazing and the Talal thread proves it. When we organized the exodus I was amazed. This blew me away. How many other community's can say that are this incredible?

<3 you all.

Nov 2, 2017
Do new mods always just give themselves tags? Or do the current mods ceremoniously do it? Hard to believe they’re all just adventured enough to have one :P

pa22word

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
For us running some of the community threads, I was wondering if there was a donation option forthcoming. I personally enjoy the fact that the site is self sufficient for the moment, but I would still like to myself donate and perhaps potentially help drive donations should the need present itself.

Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Sounds awesome. This all seems like a breathe of fresh air. Thanks and keep up the great work. I pretty much love everything this site has become. My only gripe is ( and it's minor) is I wish when I clicked a thread it led me to the most recent unread post. I was surprised to see people like it, but hey, to each their own. Change it or don't change it, this site is awesome and you people should be proud of what you've accomplished in such a short amount of time, and for that I want to sincerely thank you.

PS: I know I can click the icon to bring me to the newest unread post.

pa22word

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, finally all that sweet mod cash!

Seriously though, it's been a challenge and a pleasure to mod for you guys. I still dislike warning folk but I actually think that's a good quality :p

This community is amazing and the Talal thread proves it. When we organized the exodus I was amazed. This blew me away. How many other community's can say that are this incredible?

<3 you all.
YOU ALL SUCK!!!11

But seriously, I can't help but say thank you. Even if some of you have hammered me before (and you have done so deservedly!) I just want to say I think the most of you guys for doing what you can to support the effort of providing a tight-nite, well moderated internet experience. I may clash and provoke you guys sometimes, but I would most definitely like you guys to know I think you're by far the best of business. You guys have been here through thick and thin, and you deserve the most of praise. Thank you, seriously.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats Selina, you'll do a wonderful job! I wish you the best Methuselah, I'll always think of you when remembering the cyclone of events that were the discord days =). Of course we've already all met and worked together a bit, but I'd like to formally welcome the new mods! You guys rock!

As for OTs, I've only poked my head socially into the Curse of Osiris thread, but I finally picked up Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and might be peaking in there as well. And of course, wonderful newsletter again Nicole!

Also how Professor Beef possibly thinks FFIV is the worst in the series ;)
Unfortunately it appears taste is not a requirement for mod status.
Your favorite FF is the worst one.
jk it's XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats Selina.
You guys are doing a great job; I hope moving into monetization goes smoothly. I know how expensive running something like this can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.