Resetera December 2017 Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the update. Great newsletter as always.

As for funding, you may want to look into some kind of ad sales function. While there are many established ad platforms you can use, customized solutions unique to a site can drive sales.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Fiction and Pau are mods?

I remember talking to them during the DepGAF days and they were amazingly helpful! Glad to see they are still around and helping this community!

Selina

Gotham's Finest
Administrator
Oct 28, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to pay for a premium subscription without ads. It'd keep the site ~clean and beautiful and pure~ and I have the satisfaction of directly funding something I value rather than going through a marketing company to do it.

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks a lot for making this place so great. I really appreciate all the hard work from everyone that works here.

I'm all for there being ads on the site if that means it will ensure this place keeps going. I am interested to see what you have in mind for implementing this.

I hope this new year is the best year ever for all the members and staff here. Last year really sucked, so hopefully it is onward and upward.

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I love the newsletter format. I wouldn't mind a quarterly newsletter if things get too chaotic for you all to keep up with, but monthly is very much appreciated and enjoyed. I also like how concise it is, just enough to read all the way through and deliver the highlights. Thanks a bunch.

Would also echo the subscription option, though ads really aren't a big deal to me. I just like the idea of supporting something I spend quite a bit of time using.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
I like the newsletter, its great to hear things progressing and also what is being looked at going forward.

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck on the monetization; you deserve it after putting yourself out on risk for us! It doesn't need to happen but one thing the other site never did was give back to the community. It doesn't take much but a couple game giveaways, tickets to game shows, etc, could be a nice way to show some good faith while monetizing.

I'd also be down for an optional subscription for no ads.

Dec 7, 2017
Great newsletter.

Could a model like Patreon work? Or even a monthly subscription? Would that be better than just ads?

I'm hoping 2.0 brings a migration to Discourse, although now that "another competing forum" uses XF2, I wouldn't be surprised if Era stuck with it just out of spite and regardless of users best interests or the best user experience.

No surprise then that this weekend Era feels even more out of date than it did yesterday.

Still, the story of Talal puts all of this in perspective.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an issue with ads. If the site owners continue to do a great job as we're seeing now (especially the transparent moderation decisions, that's awesome) then I'm all for them making some cash for their efforts.

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
I've noticed that the stickied community thread has been removed from rotation. What has changed since then?
The staff has been extremely busy lately; as the rotations need to be done manually they're temporarily on pause. Sorry! The feature will return.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
I don’t know if this is where we can request features but if y’all have any time in the future, could we be able to see which posts are warned when scrolling through our posting history? I’m afraid I’m gonna post something by accident that gets warned and not seeing it make the same mistake again to get banned.

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
I don’t know if this is where we can request features but if y’all have any time in the future, could we be able to see which posts are warned when scrolling through our posting history? I’m afraid I’m gonna post something by accident that gets warned and not seeing it make the same mistake again to get banned.
Ah you don't have to worry about that. If you ever receive a warning, you'll see a message notifying you and it will require manual acknowledgment to resume posting.

Oct 25, 2017
This might be a bad question to ask, but I read on the other site that an admin went rouge and was banning hundreds of people outside of the rules without anyone else knowing since they apparently manually logged everything. Do y'all have a system where you know who does what at all times so you can easily prevent staff from going rouge like that? Just curious

ZhugeEX

诸葛亮 - 卧龙
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
This might be a bad question to ask, but I read on the other site that an admin went rouge and was banning hundreds of people outside of the rules without anyone else knowing since they apparently manually logged everything. Do y'all have a system where you know who does what at all times so you can easily prevent staff from going rouge like that? Just curious
All bans are automatically logged here so something like the above wouldn't happen.

We're taking extreme care to ensure that bans are being given out for correct reasons. We even have a system in place to manually review bans.

Status
Not open for further replies.