- Oct 24, 2017
Welcome to the February 2018 newsletter! For those keeping track at home, that means E3 2018 is only a little over four months away. While we don't have anything to announce yet, there's a lot of work going on behind the scenes to prepare our staff, servers, and software for E3. We're hoping to pull the curtain back on some exciting things soon.
That's right, we've reached the dual milestones of five million posts and 36,000 active users. Has it really only been four months? For those who haven't been keeping count, we're averaging roughly 1.25 million posts per month. Thank you all for joining us on this journey. Here's to the next five million!
Mod Team Update:
We've got a couple stragglers from the last round of new moderators who joined just late enough to miss the January newsletter. Please give a warm welcome to:
We published our second Q&Era this month, this time featuring Chucklefish, the folks behind Wargroove, Starbound, Stardew Valley, and more! You can read the thread in its entirety here.
Thanks again to Chucklefish for answering the community's questions, and thanks to you the community for providing some excellent questions for them to answer!
Our deadline to submit questions for Axiom Verge’s Tom Happ and Dan Adelman recently passed, and your questions are being sent out. Look forward to their answers when we publish the next Q&ERA.
And we can now announce that we'll soon be accepting questions for a very exciting Q&Era with Insomanic Games, the folks behind Rachet and Clank, Sunset Overdrive, Spyro, Resistance, and of course the upcoming Spiderman for PS4. Details will be made available shortly. Be sure to follow the instructions in the Q&Era thread if you want your question to be submitted!
New Game Releases:
Below you'll find the links to the OTs from the new games released during the month of February. If there is a game missing that was released and has a ResetEra OT, please let us know so that we can add it to the list.
- Shadow of The Colossus |OT| On The Shoulders of Giants
- Civilization VI: Rise and Fall |OT| Just One More Era
- Dragon Quest Builders Is On Nintendo Switch |OT| And We Didn’t Even Have To Beg
- Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st]|OT|
- DYNASTY WARRIORS 9 |OT| DYNASTY WARRIORS 8
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance |OT| Bohemian Rhapsody
- Owlboy |OT| A Real Hoot!
- Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology |OT| WE HAVE TO GO BACK!
- Secret of Mana (Remake) |OT| Super Multitap Not Required
- Bayonetta + Bayonetta 2 |OT| 1-2 Witch
- Fe |OT| There is unrest in the forest…
- Metal Gear Survive |OT| The Fandom Pain
- Age of Empires: Definitive Edition |OT| #wololo
- Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet |OT| Freedom Wars reincarnated
- Gravel |OT| This isn't Dirt, it's Gravel
- Moss |OT| The Quill-essential PS VR game
- Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match |OT| Keep Calm and Panzer On.
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II PC |OT| Coup d'head-pat
- Crossing Souls |OT| Saturday Morning cartoons are finally back!
- Into the Breach |OT| FTL: Fighting Tactical Leviathans
- Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition |OT| A Demake of No Consequence
To celebrate the return of this feature, we had double spotlights for both Video Games and EtcetEra this month. After listening to feedback, we will be going back to one thread for each side at once instead of two. Below you will find the spotlights that we had for each section this past month.
Video Games Community Spotlights:
We've received numerous requests for the newsletter to spotlight more than just one Thread of the Month, and showcase what both the EtcetEra and Video Games sections have to offer. In an effort to accommodate this, starting this month we're trialing a new feature called "Threads of Interest" that will highlight interesting threads from both sections of the forum.
- February was Black History month! To celebrate, our community started a lively discussion about their favorite representations of black people in video games:Black History Month 2018 - Who’s your favorite black characters?
- Black Panther was a hit at the box office and a hit with our community as well. Inspired by the film, the Black Panther Fan Art thread has a lot of gorgeous artwork that you may have missed and should definitely take a look at.
- Phil Spencer gave a passionate, engaging talk about inclusivity, toxicity, learning from past mistakes, and building a company culture at DICE 2018 this past month. While the speech is long, it is thoughtful, and many in our community found it compelling:Phil Spencer Calls for More Inclusivity & an End to Toxic Gamers
- Earlier in the month we saw an explosion of AMA threads by users eager to share their experiences and backgrounds. This trend gave birth to User AMA |OT|, a thread specifically created to encourage such sharing without a flood of individual threads.
- The Pet of the Month posted an incredible breakdown of Xbox and Microsoft’s history, complete with citations, footnotes and reference images. Using the past as a guide, the OP takes a look at how Microsoft is positioning itself for the future. This is a must read for anyone at all interested in Microsoft, Xbox, and gaming industry as a whole:Xbox as a Platform: A Service Without Borders
How did you like this newsletter? Are there things you would like to see included in future ones? What sort of changes should we make to improve the format? Please sound off in the replies to this thread.
This concludes the February Newsletter. Thanks for being the best community on the internet. Have a great March.