ResetEra February 2018 Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

Foreword:

Welcome to the February 2018 newsletter! For those keeping track at home, that means E3 2018 is only a little over four months away. While we don't have anything to announce yet, there's a lot of work going on behind the scenes to prepare our staff, servers, and software for E3. We're hoping to pull the curtain back on some exciting things soon.

Website Update:

That's right, we've reached the dual milestones of five million posts and 36,000 active users. Has it really only been four months? For those who haven't been keeping count, we're averaging roughly 1.25 million posts per month. Thank you all for joining us on this journey. Here's to the next five million!

Mod Team Update:

We've got a couple stragglers from the last round of new moderators who joined just late enough to miss the January newsletter. Please give a warm welcome to:

Jawmuncher
Llyrwenne

Q&Era Update:

We published our second Q&Era this month, this time featuring Chucklefish, the folks behind Wargroove, Starbound, Stardew Valley, and more! You can read the thread in its entirety here.

Thanks again to Chucklefish for answering the community's questions, and thanks to you the community for providing some excellent questions for them to answer!

Our deadline to submit questions for Axiom Verge’s Tom Happ and Dan Adelman recently passed, and your questions are being sent out. Look forward to their answers when we publish the next Q&ERA.

And we can now announce that we'll soon be accepting questions for a very exciting Q&Era with Insomanic Games, the folks behind Rachet and Clank, Sunset Overdrive, Spyro, Resistance, and of course the upcoming Spiderman for PS4. Details will be made available shortly. Be sure to follow the instructions in the Q&Era thread if you want your question to be submitted!

New Game Releases:

Below you'll find the links to the OTs from the new games released during the month of February. If there is a game missing that was released and has a ResetEra OT, please let us know so that we can add it to the list.
Community Spotlights:

To celebrate the return of this feature, we had double spotlights for both Video Games and EtcetEra this month. After listening to feedback, we will be going back to one thread for each side at once instead of two. Below you will find the spotlights that we had for each section this past month.

Video Games Community Spotlights:
EtecetEra Community Spotlights:
Threads of Interest:

We've received numerous requests for the newsletter to spotlight more than just one Thread of the Month, and showcase what both the EtcetEra and Video Games sections have to offer. In an effort to accommodate this, starting this month we're trialing a new feature called "Threads of Interest" that will highlight interesting threads from both sections of the forum.
  • February was Black History month! To celebrate, our community started a lively discussion about their favorite representations of black people in video games:Black History Month 2018 - Who’s your favorite black characters?
  • Black Panther was a hit at the box office and a hit with our community as well. Inspired by the film, the Black Panther Fan Art thread has a lot of gorgeous artwork that you may have missed and should definitely take a look at.
  • Phil Spencer gave a passionate, engaging talk about inclusivity, toxicity, learning from past mistakes, and building a company culture at DICE 2018 this past month. While the speech is long, it is thoughtful, and many in our community found it compelling:Phil Spencer Calls for More Inclusivity & an End to Toxic Gamers
  • Earlier in the month we saw an explosion of AMA threads by users eager to share their experiences and backgrounds. This trend gave birth to User AMA |OT|, a thread specifically created to encourage such sharing without a flood of individual threads.
  • The Pet of the Month posted an incredible breakdown of Xbox and Microsoft’s history, complete with citations, footnotes and reference images. Using the past as a guide, the OP takes a look at how Microsoft is positioning itself for the future. This is a must read for anyone at all interested in Microsoft, Xbox, and gaming industry as a whole:Xbox as a Platform: A Service Without Borders

How did you like this newsletter? Are there things you would like to see included in future ones? What sort of changes should we make to improve the format? Please sound off in the replies to this thread.

This concludes the February Newsletter. Thanks for being the best community on the internet. Have a great March.

Last edited:

Seik

Oct 25, 2017
Québec City
Jawmuncher congratulations!

One step at a time, until one day you finally become Capcom's CEO and heavily invest into a new Dino Crisis! :D

Edit: I'd like to add that I'm glad to see ERA being a success story so far, grats to all the people who invested themselves into this!

Edit2: Oh..yeah...E3 coming! Best of luck and can't wait to see if the servers will hold up!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
OR
Wow, super stoked for the Insomniac Q&ERA.

Gonna have to think up some insightful questions. Must resist urge to just blather "Resistance PS4 collection!!" over and over.

Nov 2, 2017
I definitely prefer the new Threads of Interest section compared to Thread of the Month. I hadn't even seen two of those threads, and I'm checking them out now.

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
SweetNicole I really love the newsletters. It is informative, and it helps foster a sense of community. I love it!
I second this.

It's really nice to see all of those OT's for new games being advertised. Also love your write ups for the threads of interest. I wouldnt have found that Black Panther Fan Art thread without it. And I seemed to have missed the Phil Spencer video as well.
Great great community building

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to make the icon sizes customisable, please? E.g. The reply, quote, thread page number links? I often find I'm hitting the wrong number or button and I have small hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.