• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 27793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
xenoblade-chronicles-2-logo-juegos-baratos.png

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu, Manami Kiyota

Counterattack
    Where It All Began
    Elysium, in the Blue Sky
    Awakening
    Incoming!
    Zeke's Theme

The Ancient Vessel
    Alba Canavish (Day)
    Shadow of the Lowlands
    Indoline Praetorium (Night)
    Where We Used To Be
    Indoline Praetorium (Day)
    Kingdom of Uraya (Night)
    Greatmaw Rapids
    Torna Boss Theme
    Rosa Boss Theme
    Leftherian Archipielago (Night)
    Kingdom of Tantal (Day)

logo-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild.png

2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Manaka Kataoka, Yasuaki Iwata, Hajime Wakai

Main Theme
    Vah Medoh (Full Dungeon)
    Dragon
    Master Kohga Battle
    On horse (Night)
    Battle Theme
    Talus Battle
    Mountain
    Goron City (Day)
    Shrine Battle
    Kakariko Village (Day)
    Molduga Battle
    Hyrule Castle
    Vah Rudania (Full Dungeon)
    On Horse (Day)
    Rito Village (Day)
    Guardian Battle
    Kass' Theme
    Sheikah Tower
    Korok Forest (Day)
    Tarrey Town (Complete)

fire-emblem-echoes-1920x1080-74ced.jpg

3. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia
    Takeru Kanazaki, Yasuhisa Baba, Takafumi Wada, Sho Murakami

Twilight of the Gods
    Lord of a Dead Empire
    The Scion's Dance in Purgatory
    The Heritors of Arcadia (English Theme)
    Praise this Despair!
    Omen (Opening Theme)

crop
  4. Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Borislav Slavov

Reflections from the Past
    Main Theme
    Sing to Me (Loshe Version)
    Rivellon
    The Battle for Divinity

5. Splatoon 2
    Toru Minegishi

Spicy Calamari Inkantation (Squid Sisters)
    Pearl and Marina's Theme
    Endolphin Surge (Wet Floor)
    Incoming! (Wet Floor)
    Ebb & Flow (Off the Hook) - Splatfest Battle Theme
    Muck Warfare (Off the Hook)
    Rip Entry (Wet Floor)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
1. Persona 5 (Shoji Meguro)

2. Nier: Automata (Keiichi Okabe, Keigo Hoashi)

3. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (Masafumi Takada)
Scrum Debate

4. Final Fantasy XV: Episode Ignis (Yasunori Mitsuda)
Theme of Episode Ignis

5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Manaka Kataoka, Yasuaki Iwata, Hajime Wakai)
Main Theme

6. Yakuza 0 (Hidenori Shoji, ZENTA, Kensuke Inage, Yoshiji Kobayashi, Karasuya-sabou, Saori Yoshida, POPHOLIC, Hyd Lunch, Sachio Ogawa)
Twin Dragons

7. Horizon Zero Dawn (Joris de Man, The Flight, Niels van der Leest)
Aloy's Theme

8. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (Henry Jackman)
End of the Line

9. The Evil Within 2 (Masatoshi Yanagi)
Making Your Way Home

10. Prey (Mick Gordon)
Everything is Going to Be Ok

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I wasn't sure because the rules seemed iffy on it and it seems there are exceptions.

Would suck to have to specifically choose between the four DLCs because each Guest Composer did a phenomenal job and picking between Okabe, Mizuta, Uematsu, and Mitsuda is so difficult
Yep, definitely stealing that part from your list and adding it to mine.
Also KH2.8... can't believe I forgot about it.

Regarding multiple expansions for the same game in the same year, they all count together as one.
Awesome. I can still edit my list, right?
Edit:
Voting will end on January 31st at 11:59 PM (PST). The votes will not be counted until after the voting period closes, so you may edit your post and change your vote as many times as you would like before then.
Yes, yes I can. Nevermind then ^^

Last edited:

MagnesG

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where We Used To Be
Kingdom of Uraya (Day)
Alba Cavanish (Day)
Gormott (Day)
Mor Ardain

Battle Theme #4
Battle Theme #3
Awakening - Unique boss theme #2
Counterattack
Indoline Praetorium - Town music (Night)

2. NieR Automata
Keiichi Okabe, Keigo Hoashi
Possessed by a Disease
Wretched Weaponry
Alien Manifestation
Pascal
Weight of the World (Japanese)

3. Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia
Twilight of the Gods
The Heritors of Arcadia
What lies at the End
With Mila's Divine Protection

4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Divine Beast Vah Ruta
Hyrule Castle
Daruk

5. Super Mario Odyssey
Naoto Kubo, Shiho Fujii, Koji Kondo
Jump Up, Super Star
Steam Gardens
Honeylune Ridge: Caves

6. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd
Hayato Sonoda, Wataru Ishibashi, Takahide Murayama
Dreamy and Boisterous Holy Land
Fighting Right On
Overdosing Heavenly Bliss

7. Splatoon 2
Toru Minegishi
Ebb & Flow
Endolphin Surge
Buoyant Boogie

8. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Grant Kirkhope
Mid Boss Mayhem
Icicle Golem Freeze
Abbey Ruins

9. ARMS
Atsuko Asahi, Yasuaki Iwata
Grand Prix
Temple Ground
Via Dolce

10. Fire Emblem Warriors
Yosuke Kinoshita, Kosuke Mizukami, Shinichiro Nakamura, Hiromu Akaba
Justice RIP
Road Taken
Conquest

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This is pretty much my list here.

Also Yakuza 0 - Friday Night? Excellent. I hope Y6 has some sort of dance minigame

Dg9di2D.gif

Kurtofan

Oct 28, 2017
1. Persona 5-I'm a huge fan of Meguro's work and Persona 5 really delivered for me.
2. Nier: Automata- Masterful soundtrack
3. Super Mario Odyssey-A joy to listen to, very varied.
4.Pyre-Amazing vocal songs, very fun stuff
5.Mario and Rabbids-Grant Kirkhope, what more to say?
6.Yooka-Laylee- so-so game imo, but great collaboration between Grant Kirkhope and David Wise.
7.Hollow Knight-Very haunting
8.Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment-Fantastic remixes and original themes.

Last edited:

Vegeto

Oct 26, 2017
Frankfurt
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
1. Persona 5

My first Persona and I find myself humming the two songs I linked every now and then. Great stuff. That feeling of going into battle with the Last Surprise track.

Beneath the Mask
Last Surprise
The Whims of Fate

-

2. NieR: Automata

Honestly, this and number 1 are interchangeable. I just couldn't put both at 1. Weight of the World just aligns with the sorrow in this game so well. I love it.

Weight of the World
City Ruins
Peaceful Sleep

-

3. Cosmic Star Heroine

Just added what werezompire mentioned. I forgot that CSH had some good stuff too.

言い返す のよ(Talk Back) feat. Laura Shigihara (aka Lauren's song)
Araenu
L'Salle

4. Horizon Zero Dawn

I just really liked the main theme of this game. Sounds so pleasant.

Main Theme

Last edited:

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Great to see that OST of the year wasn't lost in the great migration.

1. Persona 5
Last Surprise
Price
Blooming Villain

Styyyyyyle. That's really Persona 5 in a nutshell, and the music plays a big part in achieving that. Since launch, P5's OST has been on constant rotation for me. Equal parts chill jamz and hype anthems, this soundtrack has been immensely listenable outside the game. Special shoutouts go to some less-recognized tracks in Sunset Bridge and Alleycat (the most "down on your luck" song ever, goddamn) - both being very effective for me as cutscene music. There's just a modern, slick-sounding style here that I can't get enough of. Also, Blooming Villain's "chorus" at 1:10 is one of my favorite musical moments of the year. When you're in a tough boss fight against a giant ridiculous monster who's talking shit and those guitars kick in...FORRRR JUSTICEEEEE

2. Sonic Mania
Studiopolis Zone - Act 2
Stardust Speedway Zone - Act 1
Press Garden Zone - Act 2

Sonic Mania has bar-none some of my favorite original tracks of the year - I'd just feel a bit weird giving it the number 1 spot with so many remixes that more-or-less mirror the originals. Still, tracks like Studiopolis Act 2 serve as highly-concentrated injections of joy, and some of the looser remixes, such as Stardust Speedway Act 1, can feel almost entirely new. Tee Lopes displays a good bit of range here, from the bouncy beats of Mirage Saloon to the almost '80s action movie-esque slow guitar of Lava Reef Act 2. Normally I'd say I want a sequel to Mania because I love the gameplay, but really I'm just longing for more Tee Lopes masterpieces.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Mor Ardain - Roaming the Wastes -
Leftherian Archipelago (Day)
Battle Theme 3

Much of the original Xenoblade Chronicles sound team reunite to create a fitting follow-up to one of the all-time great JRPG soundtracks. While the general style on display here didn't surprise me, it sure kept my head bobbing and my ears enchanted throughout a long adventure. Soaring orchestral field themes are punctuated by battle themes' screaming guitars to create a fun mix of hype and wonder. I have a lot of issues with Xenoblade 2, but the music kinda carried me through most of them. This soundtrack does WORK.

4. Tekken 7
Distorter 1st
Solitude
Heat Haze Shadow 2nd

So, you probably clicked the Distorter link and thought to yourself "wow, this is kinda fuckin' dirty and awful". And yeah, it is. But in context - when two badass fighters are beating the shit out each other on a rooftop in the middle of a thunderstorm while each hit yields a explosive response and the end of the round is marked by a butt-clenching slow-motion finish, uhh, it kinda works. Like, shockingly well. Less overwhelming tracks like Moonsiders 1st and Heat Haze Shadow 2nd fare better in their out-of-game listenable…ness, but still provide some nice beats to fight along to.

5. Super Mario Odyssey
Fossil Falls
Steam Gardens
Honeylune Ridge - Escape

This soundtrack is just weird. Fossil Falls is pure magic, adopting some Galaxy-like sensibilities to make hopping and bopping around the first world a classic experience. But then you get to Steam Gardens, where a brief silence at the level's start is broken by this rad surf guitar thing. There's some seriously catchy stuff here, and much of it surprised me. Honeylune Ridge - Escape tore me apart by giving me a cheesy guitar-driven vocal anthem that stands with the best of 3D Sonic, only paired with a gameplay sequence that's incredibly absurd, over-the-top, and actually very well-executed. This track singlehandedly propelled Odyssey's ending to one of my favorites ever. With old presentation shackles throughly broken after Odyssey, I cannot wait to see what the Super Mario team does next.

6. Yakuza 0
JUDGEMENT
Pledge of Demon
Two Dragons

For my sample tracks here I'm goin' full hype. Yes, there are more mellow tracks, but EFF THAT WE'RE BREAKIN' THE LAW AND BREAKIN' THE WORLD. I'm also a sucker for boss fight presentations syncing with hype music, and both Kuze and Shibusawa's themes accomplish this masterfully.

7. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Cave
Rito Village
Hyrule Castle

Breath of the Wild has some great music. It also uses its music really sparingly, which makes it hard for me to know where to place it on the list. Anyway, I tried to give a good mix here with BotW's trademark minimalist sound in Caves, a fantastic remix in Rito Village, and a final area theme that's both intimidating and uplifting in Hyrule Castle. This is an odd OST in its general implementation, though I felt it had to be on here somewhere.

Last edited:

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
1. NieR: Automata

A masterful work only rivaled by the previous NieR, a flowing soundtrack that moves with the gameplay, punctuates every moment, and elevates the experience as a whole.
Vague Hope, Cold Rain

2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

A strong followup to one of my favorite soundtracks of all time (Xenoblade 1). A sweeping soundtrack that goes well with the huge, varied environments of the game, and makes every fight feel dramatic.
Maelstrom Storm

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
1. Nier: Automata
Beautiful, sad, majestic, blood-pumping. Much like its predecessor, Automata manages to do all these things, often at the same time. The opera boss is one of the most incredible pieces of boss music ever. The orchestra and choir give the piece grandness and the percussion side of things gives it that blood-pumping excitement fitting of a boss battle, and J'Nique Nicole's amazing voice in her solo vocal parts give it an air of personal tragedy. Simply breathtaking. Fucking bravo. Top 5 best boss themes of all time.
https://youtu.be/wUAhxk_otWo

2. Night in the Woods
If Nier is grand and dramatic big budget orchestra stuff, then NITW is that quirky indie experimental indie band that dips their feet in all kind of interesting sounds with a fraction of the resources. The size of the OST is staggering for a game of this scope and a big portion of it is excellent. Really catches the many feelings and moods of this small town, its inhabitants, locations and Mae's story. A kind of hopeless, dark, spooky and sometimes even sinister desperation and sadness of a dying small town penetrates most everything but not without some room for fun. Whatever is happening on screen, the music complements it perfectly.
https://youtu.be/7Z2LXyoCtSk
https://youtu.be/ZUaQjQLkw50
https://youtu.be/vuLW9k5R5-8

020.gif

3. Super Mario Odyssey
As always Super Mario music is just pure joy and happiness in audio form and whoever are behind the music are at the top of their game like they've been forever at this point. Non-midi Nintendo/Mario composers have found their sound. I absolutely love Nintendo has gone full in with their jazzy big band approach. If Jump Up, Super Star doesn't make you want to join the rhythm, you are dead inside. As a whole I feel this wasn't quite as memorable overall as some recent Mario OSTs but that is a high bar indeed. And JUSS makes up for that.
https://youtu.be/PhciLj5VzOk

4. Trails in the Sky The Third
It's Falcom. It's Trails. It's great. Might be higher but I've only still listened to the OST, haven't played the game. I know, I know, I need to hand over my Trails fan badge. But my PC broke and I haven't had the money to buy a new one. :(

5. Gravity Rush 2

6. Yooka-Laylee

7. Xenoblade 2 ; I'm going off of not even having played the game or heard the full OST. What I've heard is good but I haven't yet quite been sucked in it the same way hearing just a few songs from the first game made me order the OST a year before the game was even released in the west...

8. Rime

9. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

10. Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood

This list is unfinished, I'll try to remember to edit it later.

EDIT: Finished this with much seconds still to spare. Too tired to write anything.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
1. Xenoblade 2

Throughout the entirety of Xenoblade 2's OST you can hear the clear and often constant throwbacks to the original game. Many tracks here tend to share elements and even in game usage to the original title leading to a slew of spiritual successors in music form.
At first this came across to me as something of a weakness, yeah I hear your Counterattack trying to be Engage the Enemy 2.0, but I'm not sure I'm sold.
After much further listening I grew to appreciate the tracks in their own right as well as how well some iterate on the familiar.
That and there's nothing wrong with being the straight sequel to one of last gens top soundtracks even if it leaves me with not much to say.

Mitsuda was pretty chuffed with getting to work with Anúna, he highlighted shadow of the lowlands but I'm all about this more choral piece.

Argentum Trade Guild (Day)
Almost sounds like something I'd expect from Hitoshi Sakimoto at points, but it's still unmistakably Xenoblade. This theme plays early on and I'll be damned if it just doesn't set the stage for the adventure to come.

Hurry up with the CD release so we can truly bask in the glory! we all need that goofy as fuck Nopon Life at its best!

2. Nier Automata

This is one of those games where the announcement of the game itself could almost have doubled as the hype for announcing a new soundtrack alone.
The original Nier OST took some time to grow on me but when it did, hoo boy, my ears were thankful.

Whether the work on Automata surpasses the original or not, well I'm not sure. It does have an air of greater quantity around it though, throw in some pleasing remixes and more tonal variety (sometimes I feel like with Nier 1, if you're not down with the vocal style then the OST ain't got much to offer you). There are people more passionate about the game that can nail why this OST is so well revered more than I can, but I do like that in this case it shows that even if the game itself doesn't resonate with you as much as you'd like, the soundtrack still can. I also have definitely never sang along to track of the year contender "Weight of the World", SHUSH!

Two tracks for me to highlight…

Memories of Dust is a top tier Desert theme that plays on familiar area theme tropes with its slow burn of an intro, the vocals kick in almost hauntingly and it soon takes off into a theme more grandiose than Deserts are usually prone to. Listening to this again when grabbing the link for this post almost makes me move Nier up to the top, that's how much I love this track.

Emil (despair) is an important remix for me because the original theme in the first game was overused to the point of parody, if papa Nier stubbed his toe a cutscene would play with this track despite having numerous lesser used alternatives available. In short, I grew quite tired of it.
And now it's back, re-imagined as a harrowing battle theme which somehow redeems it for me in every possible way, perhaps its the contrast in styles (sorrow and intense combat) being slammed together that makes it work.

3. Sonic Mania

An explosive OST from Tee Lopes here that reaches into the past, clutching classic tracks, then using musical alchemy transmutes it perfectly into modern stylings, whilst using the findings within to find the perfect formula to creating NEW Sonic tunes that sound just like the OLD, circa Sonic CD in particular.
So many of the remixed tracks here are near definitive takes, and that's saying a lot when you consider Sonic likes to revisit the well (hello Generations) and does a damn good job more often than not.
I never thought I could love Lava Reef more but holy shit, it turns out I can and it makes me so happy.
Boss themes are so funky that they almost manage to eradicate whatever that trash eggman theme from Sonic 4 was from the plane of our existence.

Typically I'd put remix heavy outings lower on the list outside of special occasions, this as you may have gathered is one of those special occasions.

Stardust Speedway Boss/Metal Sonic Boss
It's worth noting that anything that came from Sonic CD gets THE MAGIC TOUCH, I'm sure there's no shortage of people pointing out dat sax from Metallic Madness Act 2 for instance.

Studiopolis Act 1
when the piano kicks in, soooooooooo smoooooooooooth

4. Snake Pass

Also known as "the lost tracks of Tropical Freeze", snake pass brings a small but smashing serving of jaunty jungle tunage, another water theme to get lost in and quite possibly the stage select theme of the year (I want to take a holiday with this theme on a warm beach sipping extravagant fruity cocktails) . The smallest OST on this list quite handily yet a perfect snapshot of why I follow the Wise one. For some sick, twisted reason we're denied an OST, I can only hope it's because they have some extra tracks brewing for some DLC or something. Otherwise all I can say is "what the hell Sumo?!".
Since it's only six main tracks of DAT FLUTE here's the whole thing outside some small jingle and cutscene bits.

5. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

From one Rareware alumni to another, now it's Kirkhope's time to shine with a return to a Nintendo title, like a homecoming of sorts.

The union of Mario and Rabbids provides a perfect backdrop for Grant's whimsy orchestration. Compared to the usual mario fare, this isn't quite a soundtrack that immediately embeds catchy melodies into your head, it takes a bit more time so I can see it being a bit overlooked compared to say Odyssey. But for my money this is the Mario musical outing of the year, a rather vast soundtrack that only contains 2 remixes of previous Mario themes (and those include quite possibly the best version of "inside the castle walls" as well as a borderline modern day update to Grant's own DK64 Armydillo boss theme).

While the game did turn out to be pretty great (I always believed!) you can take it as a positive that when the game details were leaked there was a lot of "well at least we know the soundtrack will be great", and yes, yes it is.

Cold Start, Hot Finish starts off throwing a straight throwback to Freezezy Peak from Banjo in your face before trucking on its own path, shifting between the melody established by the desert area and some more jaunty snow tunes throughout, it never stays on one side too long, it just keeps bouncing back and forth making an interesting tone.

Exploring the Mine reminds me very much of a Viva Pinata Night theme, aka one of the most underrated OSTs of last gen

Also M+R has the Phantom of the Bwahprah which is some of the most inspired music moments in any game this year.

6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Home of this years VGM hot take of apparently not having any music/much music/melodic music/memorable music, you know, the works.
Poppycock, Balderdash, Hogswash, Breath of the Wild may well contain some of the most masterful usage of music the series has seen since Ocarina first let us open doors with left up right, left up right.

A precarious balancing act of soft piano themes that slowly roll in as you cross the overworld, with area and region specific styles you slowly begin to discern the differences (and at times even gave me the cue that I was either near bodies of water or about to freeze my balls off).
Each Divine Beast receives a bombastic boarding theme and then a layered interior dungeon theme that builds with the players progress. For more traditional themes the various villages offer some instant classics and one very potent remix. Where Skyward Sword's orchestration was something of a half measure, BotW is the one that goes all in.

But the actual best part? KASS, KASS AND HIS ACCORDION!
Musical instruments have become part of the series identity, from the collecting of instruments to create the ballad of the windfish in Awakening to the rather cumbersome spirit pipes of Spirit Tracks. Link lacks his own musical tool this time but I can't help but feel instead they had an NPC take up the mantel, the travelling Rito bard Kass.

Hearing the distant sounds of his theme playing in the distance is one of the game's most memorable and powerful tools to pull the player towards an area. On top of that he's used for a number of neat easter egg themes from adding some lon lon ranch to your stable theme, the fact all his shrine themes come together to form the BotW main theme, his post journey stopping point at the Rito Village (potentially complete with adorable chirping bird sisters). Oh and pretty much the foundation of the whole theme of the story DLC, Basically Kass is the best and I'm totally not bias because birds and accordions are things I dig.

I've said a lot for something a fair way down the list, I didn't even get to the champions unique themes.
Fortunately my bro Kass has us covered, Champion themes (Kass)
Hyrule Castle is also the best dungeon theme the series has put out in forever.

7. Persona 5
I liked the music in Persona 4, but not enough to go dancing all night.
Meanwhile I love the music in Persona 5 and I will definitely consider going Dancing…star night?

Anywho this time around the distinct Meguro style is jazzier, funkier and possibly even more disco like at times. Well it ticks all my boxes, the vocal themes are stronger than ever, some story/event themes almost disarm you with their chill vibes and the pyramid dungeon somehow feels like a classier take on Sonic Adventure 2's Death Chamber which I find amusing. Suffers just a bit from a number of kinda goofy event themes though, fortunately nothing cheeses me off quite like P4's like a dream come true, FFFFFF that

Life will change
is just too good, the clear audibility of the organ after the chorus just gets me.

Oh and this may well be the new Battle Victory theme to beat

8. Yooka-Laylee

The true crime about Yooka only having a scant handful of worlds means that Kirkhope can't hope to match the quantity and quality of its Banjo inspiration.
In the end, despite the power play union of Wise and Kirkhope, they have better scores elsewhere on this list. What is here though still mostly delivers though dare I say that Wise's minecart and boss themes actually just about usurp what should really be Kirkhope's throwback party. A true shame he dropped the orchestrated OST because certain themes like the ice world are practically begging for it.
Steve Burke is also here to make the middling minigames more tolerable with some chiptune styled jams, Bee Bop has this oddly medieval flair going on that I like.

Moodymaze Marsh really takes you back to that classic N64 Rare style, Kirkhope's best for me on this OST.

Galleon Galaxy Minecart theme is something of a nice change from the deluge of tropical themes we've had from Wise in recent times, now we're all electronic sci-fi stuff.

9. Super Mario Odyssey

Perhaps not as wildly creative a soundtrack you'd expect from a Mario game that has such bold aesthetic choices, it still however makes a very bold choice for the series at least and that's vocals!
Jump up super star is pretty great, the Sonic Adventure esque finale….not so much (I'd sooner listen to Sonic Force's Fistbump).
There's some cracking stuff in here to be sure though, the dark fairytale like vibe of the cap kingdom, the grandiose adventuring theme for cascade kingdom and Wooded Kingdom's surfer jam?

I really like the Bowser Kingdom themes, the first gives me a theme I'd have expected to hear in Nioh, moodier than the mario norm for sure.
Speaking of Bowser, his first boss theme rocks.

10. Sonic Forces

........TIME FOR JUSTICE, TIME TO GO FIGHT
No I can't subject era to that

........THE SUN IS FALLING IN THE SKY BEYOND, AND LIGHT IS FADING FROM OUR WORLD
Nope, that's even cheesier

........TOGETHER WE CAN SHOW THE WORLD WHAT WE CAN DO, YOU ARE NEXT TO ME AND I'M NEXT TO YOU
Maybe I should just admit I somehow like this stuff, pls help

Screw it, my man Ohtani can always deliver a vaguely water related theme.

Best of the rest

Tidal Rush (Splatoon 2)
Actually one of my full on fave tracks of the year, I just didn't find the S2 OST to really kick into matching the original until its recent update added acid jazz and fiddles into the equation which is brilliant really.

Via Dolce (ARMs)
Arms relies a bit too much on its main theme (as grand as its brazillian world cup vibe is), more stuff like Via Dolce's european inspiration hodgepodge would've pushed this into the top 10.

The price of doing business (Shovel Knight Specter of torment)
Fantastic remixes, many of which I prefer to the originals, but Sonic Mania already swiped the remix heavy spot

Night Gale (Gravity Rush 2)
Oh I tried to push myself through the game for the tunes but I just couldn't, at least I got to hear this saxxy remix of Raven's theme from the first game.

Zeku's Theme (Street Fighter V)
SFV continues to deliver top tunage via new content

T U S K (Yakuza 0)
Theme of brawling through entire buildings, the hype really starts for me around 1:38

And a nod to Cuphead's entire OST, alas I didn't get to play enough of it to really identify a favourite.

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Life is Strange: Before the Storm - The soundtrack Daughter composed for the game is incredible and helps create a mood reminiscent of the first game's while retaining its own unique edge, and it helps that the game also pulls from their past discography as well. "Burn It Down" "Youth"
  2. Pyre - To further abuse an endlessly used term, this shit is underrated. Given Supermassive's history of games with incredible soundtracks, I don't know why this one doesn't get the respect it deserves. It's so incredibly varied, yet consistently amazing. "Thrash Pack" "Path to Glory"
  3. The Evil Within 2 - There's a lot of more atmospheric pieces that give the game life, but the clear standout is the credit's theme, AKA the song that played fucking endlessly in Gamestop's for a month before the game's release "Ordinary World" "Your Death Will Be My Art"
  4. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - While the sound mixing ends up drowning out a lot of the music, when you do hear it, it's fucking crazy "Mein Leben" "Ubersoldaten"

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
1. Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Daughter
Once again, Life is Strange has introduced me to some amazing bands. Daughter did the original score, but there were also a number of licensed tracks which were used to perfection during the game.
Daughter - Glass
Daughter - Departure
Daughter - A Hole in the Earth
Broods - Taking You There
Wolf Alice - Bros

2. Persona 5

Shoji Meguro
Another stellar soundtrack for a Persona game. Persona 4's soundtrack has stuck with me ever since I played it, and now Shoji Meguro knocks it out of the park again with another great jazzy soundtrack.
Beneath the Mask (Instrumental)
Last Surprise
Life Will Change
Tokyo Daylight
Break it Down

3. Nier: Automata
Keiichi Okabe, Keigo Hoashi
I knew it was going to be good after falling in love with the first Nier's soundtrack a couple years ago, and yep, I was right, another amazing soundtrack. It absolutely blew me away at times.
Amusement Park
Peaceful Sleep
City Ruins - Shade
Pascal
Dependent Weakling

4. Cuphead
Kris Maddigan
Cuphead's soundtrack did not disappoint me at all. It fits with the style of the game perfectly and is a great homage to that classic jazzy sound from the '30s.
Introduction
Inkwell Isle One
Die House
Forest Follies
Porkrind's Shop

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
xenoblade-chronicles-2-logo-juegos-baratos.png

Counterattack
    Where It All Began
    Elysium, in the Blue Sky
    Awakening
    Incoming!
    Zeke's Theme

The Ancient Vessel
    Alba Canavish (Day)
    Shadow of the Lowlands
    Where We Used To Be
    Indoline Praetorium (Day)
    Kingdom of Uraya (Night)
    Greatmaw Rapids
    Torna Boss Theme
    Rosa Boss Theme
    Leftherian Archipielago (Night)
    Kingdom of Tantal (Day)

logo-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild.png

2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Main Theme
    Vah Medoh (Full Dungeon)
    Dragon
    Master Kohga Battle
    On horse (Night)
    Battle Theme
    Talus Battle
    Mountain
    Goron City (Day)
    Shrine Battle
    Kakariko Village (Day)
    Molduga Battle
    Hyrule Castle
    Vah Rudania (Full Dungeon)
    On Horse (Day)
    Rito Village (Day)
    Guardian Battle
    Kass' Theme
    Sheikah Tower
    Korok Forest (Day)
    Tarrey Town (Complete)

fire-emblem-echoes-1920x1080-74ced.jpg

3. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia

Twilight of the Gods
    Lord of a Dead Empire
    The Scion's Dance in Purgatory
    The Heritors of Arcadia (English Theme)
    Praise this Despair!
    Omen (Opening Theme)

crop
  4. Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Borislav Slavov

Reflections from the Past
    Main Theme
    Sing to Me (Loshe Version)
    Rivellon
    The Battle for Divinity

5. Splatoon 2
    Toru Minegishi

Spicy Calamari Inkantation (Squid Sisters)
    Pearl and Marina's Theme
    Incoming! (Wet Floor)
    Ebb & Flow (Off the Hook) - Splatfest Battle Theme
    Muck Warfare (Off the Hook)
    Rip Entry (Wet Floor)

Xenoblade 2 Ost is amazing, I need to buy this game.

Oct 28, 2017
This year was GREAT for video game music, even though I only played like half of what I really wanted to.

1. Nier Automata :
I don't think I can say much more that hasn't already been said about this soundtrack, or give any more examples. We probably have the whole soundtrack covered through the various examples already posted in this topic. Of all the games that I've played this year no other game uses the soundtrack so completely. It sounds amazing if you listen to it without context. It sounds amazing in context. It always adds to the scene and despite being vocal heavy it never distracts from the scene. Weight of the World melted my cold dead heart.

2. Blue Reflection : This would have been a complete shoe-in for soundtrack of the year for me if it wasn't for Nier: Automata, and I unironically put it above everything else I heard this year except Nier. Despite being attached to a pretty meh game (and that's being very kind) it has this amazingly high production soundtrack. Like, there's like no less than THREE different themes for each boss battle depending on the phase. There's more individual songs than there are individual bosses. The sheer size of this soundtrack astounds me for the small scale the game itself represents, and although alot of it is pianos and electronic everything sounds so varied yet maintains it's own style. There's also a ton on UNTZ.
I'm not sure what this is called, but it's an electronic/violin/keyboard/piano/UNTZ and it sounds AMAZING.
TIGAR-Michael which goes all in on the UNTZ.
Overdose, the main battle theme is pretty much a perfect normal battle theme with a catchy opening and a strong melody and plenty of UNTZ.

And it isn't just the amazing suite of battle themes, but all the overworld and scenario music is excellent, although it goes less for pulse-pounding and bass and more for soft pianos.
I (rain) is a great example of this. It's sorta like a lullaby in how it sounds, except a lullaby made with like 10 instruments.
And Blue Reflection, the title theme that beautifully captures the nostaglic/wistful vibe the non-battle parts of the game are going for.

Blue Reflection is probably one of the few soundtracks I would recommend on its own merits, it might even work better just listening to it separately. It works great in game, and it helps make the bad scenes better, but I think it is used somewhat inelegantly in game. The transitions between battle themes in the middle of boss battles are very jarring (as are the transitions themselves), and although the mood-setting music is great it sometimes sets the wrong type of mood, often matching slice-of-life moments with haunting, somber tones.
This is also pretty much entirely a solo work soundtrack by Hayato Asano who pretty much only produces gold with the Gust sound team. It's my hope that someday this guy gets tacked onto a big-budget game, he does great work with Gust but I honestly think his style would work better in epic fantasy or sci-fi than most of Gust's usual fare. Still there's no doubt in my mind he stands shoulder to shoulder with artists like Keichi Okabe, Go Shiina and Shoji Meguro.

3. Persona 5 : Persona in my mind is the best longstanding series of synthesizing the soundtrack, art direction and story to an elegant whole. Individually the vocal tracks are amazing, and Life is Strange is the best leitmotif of all time, but even the non-vocal songs are notable for their ability to the game's mood so well.
Beneath the Mask is easily my favorite track, not because it sounds great on its own (which it does), but how "chill" it feels and how well that ties into the gameplay of the sections where its used.
Put another way, the music of Persona 5 is always in service to what you are doing at the time. When you are contemplating a schedule the music is contemplating, when you're pumped up in a battle the music gets you going, every dungeon's theme song fits perfectly for that dungeon and would sound out of place if it was tacked onto another section.

4. Yakuza Zero : I've never personally associated Yakuza with great soundtracks and this game proves me rather ignorant cause it was an unexpected amazement. Yakuza does do a lot of things different compared to alot of typical Japanese game fare, honestly when was the last time you played a japanese developed game where the hub world was completely silent? While this year is full of games that use their music to cultivate specific moods and feelings, Yakuza just goes "why the fuck not?" and throws consistent tone and theme down a river with a cinder block and it pays off wonderfully.
Pledge of Demon might have the longest build up ever, but by the time you get control it sets up the hype to the absolute maximum.
And like 20 minutes later you get.... As You Like and you know that you've stepped into one weird as fuck game. It's a bit of a novelty but I just love how the game just takes your gangster drama and makes you play dress-up manager.
Yakuza Zero also has songs played deliberately for comedy, alot of songs this year made you pumped or sad but this was the only soundtrack that makes you laugh.

5. Pyre : I feel like shit for putting a Supergiant game anywhere but the top three but the competition was simply too fierce. It's an amazingly ambitious soundtrack with countless variations of the vocals, and unlike alot of the other games I've highlighted alot of Pyre music sounds like it uses alot fewer instruments; less like what an orchestra would play and more what a wandering small band would be able to do. I'm not sure if the soundtrack was done electronically or with real instruments but it definitely sounds like real instruments were used. I actually don't really like the main vocal singer in this game, he sounds more like he's song-talking than really singing but even that adds to the game (he is, after all, a minstrel).
The Eight Scribes is a personal favorite of mine, gotta love that guitar.

6. Atelier Firis : The Gust sound team puts out amazing work, as always, but its probably the weakest Atelier soundtrack in recent memory. That still makes it one of the best soundtracks of the year though. Great battle and theme music, but pretty weak leitmotifs and there's a handful of really low-effort tracks of just repeated noise.

7. Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentia : Fire emblem music as it does best, with sweeping orchestras and songs that transition in and out of each other amazingly well. This is a pretty anemic selection though, lots of repeated tracks, and doesn't quite compare to the behemoth soundtracks of Awakening and Fates.

8. Xenoblade 2 : I'd put it weaker than Xenoblade 1, doesn't hit as many highs but it's a complete and solid package with probably the best individual town themes all year. The battle themes are pretty weak though and not helped by the utter cacophany of quips and sound effects that is every standard battle. I know it's not directly part of the soundtrack but I love how the used different accents in different areas.

9. Divinity Original Sin 2 : I'm pretty biased in favor of JRPGs, most western game soundtracks honestly sound more like ambient noise to me than actual soundtracks. But DOS:2 does it right. The soundtrack isn't immediately memorable but it's never jarring, it never steals your attention. I love the instrument flourishes it ties into the middle of battles though, more games should do this!

10. Doki Doki! Literature Club : I can't say for sure but I almost feel like the soundtrack was deliberately cultivated to remind you of generic VN themes. It manages this beautifully and distorts it when the shit hits the fan in a way that just adds to the tension.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
1. Persona 5
Rivers in the Desert - Hypest boss music ever!

2. Yakuza 0
Fever ☆ Time - Only the true cabaret addicts will dig this XD

3. Super Mario Odyssey
Shiveria: Town - Mario doing Zelda better than Zelda o_O

4. Danganronpa V3
Scrum Debate - "This is the best track in Danganronpa" Scrum Debate starts

5. Nier: Automata

City Ruins (Dynamic)- This is one heck of a background music, never gets tired after playing the game 3 times.

Guardian - Notto Disu Shitto Agen

7. Gravity Rush 2
Storm and Triumph - Hypest battle music.

8. Horizon Zero Dawn
Main Theme - The motifs are strong with this theme and the rest of the OST.

9. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
Raisins Girls - I just realize that there's a powerpuffgirls reference in this.

10. Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Chloe Frazer - Henry Jackman did an okay job with Nathan's theme, but the man takes it another level with Chloe's theme.

Honorable Mentions
Lego City Undercover (PS4)
Falling to Earth - Bruh...

Undertale (PS4)
Ghost Fight - This is the point in the game where I realize "Oh I'm in for a ride if this the theme for one of the first fights"

LTTP
REZ Infinite (PSVR)
Buggie Running Beeps - This is the first level...I can't even play the game properly in VR cause I'm dancing to the music like a fool XD

Mega Man (PS4)
Electric Man - Love the music and Hate the game with a passion.

Mega Man 3 (PS4)
Main Theme - You guys lied to me, this is the GOAT Mega Man theme and NES OST.

Silver Surfer (NES)
BGM 1 - I take that back.

Z0mbicide

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Wow, 3 pages and only one mention of the majesty that is The Mummy Demastered OST? Delete this thread and start over...

In all seriousness though, everyone needs to stop what they're doing and take a listen. I can't believe it's being overlooked here.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, 3 pages and only one mention of the majesty that is The Mummy Demastered OST? Delete this thread and start over...

In all seriousness though, everyone needs to stop what they're doing and take a listen. I can't believe it's being overlooked here.
Unfortunately these things always have that popularity-of-the-IP issue. People generally vote for OSTs of games they've played so million sellers like Persona 5 and Nier: Automata (weird to say that about Nier, lol) will edge out the Mummies that are mostly ignored tie-ins to the year's shittiest blockbusters, no matter how good the OST.

But sure, I'll give it a listen and add it to my top 10 if it warrants it. :p

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
1. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - I just love the acoustic sound of it so much.

2. Super Mario Odyssey - The Forest Kingdom surf guitar song is my favorite. Jump up Superstar is great too.

3. NieR: Automata

4. Cuphead

5. Splatoon 2 - Squidy.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
1. NieR: Automata - Great variety. Loved these tracks:
Crumbling Lies
Weight of the World
Grandma - Destruction

2. Persona 5 - Pretty chill music, enjoyed:
Beneath the Mask
Last Surprise

3. Horizon: Zero Dawn - I was surprised at how good the music was. enjoyed:
Aloy's Theme
Homecoming

4. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
- was very surprised by this music and I loved what they did with it enjoyed
Bridge Combat
Gramr

5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I was expecting more from this game musically given how awesome the january event trailer music was.
Main Theme

6. Destiny 2 - at least the soundtrack is good. Cant pick out any one track as stand out but i enjoyed
'Inner Light' aka the start up screen

LTTP vote: DOOM - It released on Switch this year and I just wanted to remind people that it's one of the best soundtracks ever made. The fact that it wasn't even nominated for a grammy is a total shame as is the fact you can't buy this soundtrack on vinyl. It works so well in game but when you listen to it on Spotify on a nice audio system good lord is it some good shit.
Rip & Tear
At Doom's Gate
Cyberdemon

Edit: format and links

Last edited:

ubercheez

Oct 27, 2017
2. Blue Reflection : This would have been a complete shoe-in for soundtrack of the year for me if it wasn't for Nier: Automata, and I unironically put it above everything else I heard this year except Nier. Despite being attached to a pretty meh game (and that's being very kind) it has this amazingly high production soundtrack. Like, there's like no less than THREE different themes for each boss battle depending on the phase. There's more individual songs than there are individual bosses. The sheer size of this soundtrack astounds me for the small scale the game itself represents, and although alot of it is pianos and electronic everything sounds so varied yet maintains it's own style. There's also a ton on UNTZ.
I'm not sure what this is called, but it's an electronic/violin/keyboard/piano/UNTZ and it sounds AMAZING.
TIGAR-Michael which goes all in on the UNTZ.
Overdose, the main battle theme is pretty much a perfect normal battle theme with a catchy opening and a strong melody and plenty of UNTZ.

And it isn't just the amazing suite of battle themes, but all the overworld and scenario music is excellent, although it goes less for pulse-pounding and bass and more for soft pianos.
I (rain) is a great example of this. It's sorta like a lullaby in how it sounds, except a lullaby made with like 10 instruments.
And Blue Reflection, the title theme that beautifully captures the nostaglic/wistful vibe the non-battle parts of the game are going for.

Blue Reflection is probably one of the few soundtracks I would recommend on its own merits, it might even work better just listening to it separately. It works great in game, and it helps make the bad scenes better, but I think it is used somewhat inelegantly in game. The transitions between battle themes in the middle of boss battles are very jarring (as are the transitions themselves), and although the mood-setting music is great it sometimes sets the wrong type of mood, often matching slice-of-life moments with haunting, somber tones.
This is also pretty much entirely a solo work soundtrack by Hayato Asano who pretty much only produces gold with the Gust sound team. It's my hope that someday this guy gets tacked onto a big-budget game, he does great work with Gust but I honestly think his style would work better in epic fantasy or sci-fi than most of Gust's usual fare. Still there's no doubt in my mind he stands shoulder to shoulder with artists like Keichi Okabe, Go Shiina and Shoji Meguro.

Wow, thanks for this writeup! I'm listening to your suggestions right now and a few others from autoplay, and hot damn is this stuff good. Think I'd better just listen to the whole thing start to finish.

That TIGAR-Michael track is straight fire.

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Many people are complaining that most of the time music is absent in this game, but this puts all pieces to greater effect: Every theme that plays at a special location, the few piano tones or the pieces from the wandering bird Kass. And all of them are superb.

Kass' Theme
Kakariko Village (Day)
Goron City (Day)

2. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

A lot of credit here goes of course to the wonderful Yuka Tsujiyoko for composing the original melodies. Her work in Gaiden is phenomenal, even though every track is as short as 30 seconds. Of course the tracks are longer in the remake and a great job has been done with also adding a lot of new stuff. The map themes are fitting and the battle themes are powerful, especially The Dauntless Blade.

With Mila's Divine Protection
Twilight of the Gods
The Heritors of Arcadia (Eng. Ver.)

3. ARMS
Atsuko Asahi, Yasuaki Iwata

There isn't really much to say. It has stage themes, menu themes and that's it, but damn are those catchy.

Via Dolce
Ramen Bowl
Dr. Coyles Stage

4. Persona 5
Shoji Meguro

Persona games always have a fun soundtrack and P5 is no exception. It fits the modern and stylish setting and it's a lot of fun just listenting to the music while doing nothing.

The Whims of Fate
Last Surprise
Rivers in the Desert

5. Tales of Berseria
Motoi Sakuraba

I would not have picked this soundtrack if it wasn't for tracks such as Theme of Velvet which really gets to me emotionally. This song might even be the sole reason why it is here - yes, it is that beautiful. Sakuraba doesn't really reinvent himself here, but still does a good job though I think his works on other games besides Tales of are better and I don't think they need to use him for all mainline Tales games.

Theme of Velvet
Magilou the Great Sorceress
Aball Village Theme

6. Super Mario Odyssey
Naoto Kubo, Shiho Fujii, Koji Kondo

I haven't even played this game yet here it is. I think this says a lot and it might even be higher if I had played it, but I only watched others. This definitely is the case of a soundtrack adding a lot to the fun you have while playing the game or in my case watching it, haha.

Jump Up, Super Star!
Wooded Kingdom (Steam Gardens)
Cascade Kingdom (Fossil Falls)

--- Bigger Gap ---

7. Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
Tatsuya Yano, (Kazuki Yanagawa, Daisuke Achiwa, Hayato Asano, Yasushi Asada, Ryudai Abe, Kyoko Ohsako, Tai Tomisawa, Ryo Furukawa, djseiru)

Slightly worse than Nights of Azure, but still very very good overall. A lot of memorable themes.

Two-coloured Flower
Brides Room
Mi'd Rauna

--- Bigger Gap ---

8. Trails in the Sky 3rd
Hayato Sonoda, Wataru Ishibashi, Takahide Murayama
The Hermit's Garden

9. Monster Hunter Stories
Hiromitsu Maeba, Marika Suzuki
Field Battle

10. Splatoon 2
Toru Minegishi
Dubble Bath (It's fun because you as a player have a little influence on it)

LTTP:
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
Yuka Tsujiyoko

This is probably Tsujiyoko's best work while also being her biggest with 114 tracks. She said she worked a year on this soundtrack and it shows. Every single composition is a masterpiece. She even made an amazing theme for arena entrance where most of the time you may only spent a few seconds and only hear random noises, but if you wait a while a surprise waits for you.

Uprising in Agustria
Light and Dark
Birth of the Holy Knight

Bonus Round!

Song(s) of the year: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - With Mila's Divine Protection, Tales of Berseria - Theme of Velvet
Song of the year LTTP: Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War - Uprising in Agustria

Last edited:

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
My list is mostly games that have already been mentioned and most of the songs have been linked to already...but here goes anyway! I also find that a lot of my favorite songs off of soundtracks are not the ones everyone else enjoys - Persona 5 especially.

1. Persona 5

Price
Sweatshop
Life Will Change (Instrumental)

2. Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
Scrum Debate
V3 Argument - Blade Lock-
Battle with Despair

3. Nier: Automata
End of the Unknown
Birth of a Wish: This Cannot Continue

4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Torigoth (Night)
Unique Monster Battle Theme

5. Pyre
Thrash Pack
Forbidden Knowledge

6. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Mid Boss Mayhem

7. Super Mario Odyssey
Broodal Battle

I think that's it for games that had music that stuck out to me this year.

Buzzard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
  1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Battle Theme #4, Battle Theme #3, The World Tree)
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Main Theme, Daruk's Theme)
  3. Super Mario Odyssey (Jump Up, Super Star, Honeylune Ridge Escape)
  4. NieR Automata (A Beautiful Song, The Weight of the World)
  5. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (Opening Theme, Intertwining Destinies, Twilight of the Gods, A Distant Promise, The Heritors of Arcadia)
  6. Sonic Mania (Lava Reef Zone Act 1, Lava Reef Zone Act 2, Hydro City Zone Act 2, Studiopolis Zone Act 2)
  7. Splatoon 2 (Color Pulse, Ebb & Flow)
  8. Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon (Ultra Necrozma Theme, Ghetsis' Theme)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just a top 3 from me:

1. NieR: Automata
The indisputable winner. I'm sure more than enough people have posted samples now.

2. Cosmic Star Heroine
Absolutely wonderful 80slicious retrowave-inspired music from HyperDuck SoundWorks. I highly recommend checking it out on bandcamp. It's an excellent listen.
https://hyperduck.bandcamp.com/album/cosmic-star-heroine-original-soundtrack
L'Salle
Battle of Conflicts

3. Hollow Knight
Overall HK is for me the surprise hit of the year. One of the best metroidvanias ever made, and somehow with the soundtrack to match it. I will shamelessly stan for this game.
Hornet
Sealed Vessel
Truth, Beauty and Beyond
City of Tears
Nightmare King

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only have four games on my list. I think the write-ups for those four are already long enough anyway. I'll have to read through all of it again tomorrow on here to make sure every link is set right and I didn't write too much nonsense, but with all the links in it, this has become basically unreadable in my text editor and for some reason the preview here also looks a bit weird. So, well, I hope it's not too boring. I guess the choices are all pretty standard, though. So no lost masterpieces here. Also I just realized I didn't quite make it within the character limits of posts here, so I'll split off my #4 and the LTTP votes in a separate post.

1) Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
Composed by Yuzo Koshiro
In 2013 it was Etrian Odyssey IV and A Link Between Worlds competing for the top spot of my Soundtrack of the Year list (this was on some other forum whose name I shall not speak, of course). In the end I gave the #1 spot to the Zelda title out of pure nostalgia for some of the songs involved and mostly because I just felt like it at that moment. Interestingly enough four years later both series released their next mainline entries and so they ended up competing again. So, of course, it's only fair Etrian Odyssey gets to win this time. Not to mention Breath of the Wild already got my Game of the Year vote (over Etrian Odyssey V, no less, I put emphasis on the variety between my two lists after all!). So first up: Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth!

Sure, compared to some other soundtracks released this year, this one did nothing out of the ordinary. But it's some damn fine music and if that's not enough for a number one placement then what is (especially if it's a Koshiro soundtrack)? The game is a bit more traditional in structure compared to the last main game in the series. There's no overworld to fly around in and therefore no distinction between big and smaller dungeon. This does mean however that there aren't as many tracks needed, so overall this soundtrack is a bit smaller than Etrian Odyssey IV's. Well, technically it isn't, but only if you count, well, let's get to that later.

So what's the best thing about Etrian Odyssey music? Battle themes? Sure, why not. Let's put them aside for now, though. The star of the show in Etrian Odyssey V are the dungeon themes. There's one theme for each stratum, so six overall, including the bonus dungeon, I don't think the fact that one exists isn't a spoiler by now, it's a series standard. But I will comment on the nature of each of the strata (except the final one and the bonus dungeon), so if you don't want to know about that, just skip to the next paragraph. As always you start off in a (seemingly) peaceful forest of sorts, so the first stratum's theme is a pretty standard tune for the series, calm and beautiful, but in a month I probably couldn't tell you which game this was from. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, of course (they're all good), it's just what you'd expect from the series at this point. The second stratum however is more of a desert canyon area, barren, empty, lifeless (sadly, not monster-less). Its theme is my favorite of all the dungeon themes, sparing use of instruments, just beautiful, we're starting off strong here. The next one is a graveyard, the remains of a battlefield from long ago. Ghosts, skeletons and other creepy creatures haunt this area, so accordingly you have a piano in the background of its theme to represent the shivers running down your spine, not to mention the laughing and haunting noises in the background from time to time. You're not supposed to feel well in this areas, the enemies do a lot to support that feeling, but the music does a great job as well. The fourth stratum is a forest. Wait, again? Yes, but this wants a special forest. It's a forest made completely out of crystal. Listen to [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNHw9QypnQU]its theme[/URL]. It starts off with all this, well let's call it clatter (hey, this isn't my first language here!), that frosty sound you often here associated with ice areas, or areas full of crystals like in this case. The actual melody only kicks in a bit later, it's a downright relieve to have something proper to cling to after feeling a bit unwell at first. The "good thing", of course, that in the game this would often be interrupted by the battle theme anyway. Can't fault Koshiro for that, though. And now to the final "normal" stratum, this one is a, well, ah come on, let's leave something open to imagination. Just listen to it here, this one doesn't even give it away through its title. Close your eyes, imagine the possibilities. As for the bonus stratum, its theme is rather unique. It sounds so distinctly, umm, 80s, lol. I mean there's a reason for that, but as with the fifth stratum, I'd rather not give it away. It is damn good music, though, leave it on, listen to it until the end. I haven't played much of the bonus dungeon yet (in fact, I only just finished the game fifteen minutes before I started writing this), so I'm not sure, maybe this will become my favorite dungeon music. Listening to it in the background while typing this, I realize this is some damn good music.

Okay, enough of that. Let's get to the battle music, you've all been waiting for. But honestly the meat is in the dungeon music. The battle themes are great, but in the greater context most of them aren't all that special. But let's listen to them one by one. First up, the standard battle theme. This will play for about half the game. The first time it changes is when you reach the fourth stratum, so about 25 to 30 hours in. This better be good then. Well, of course it is. It's upbeat, it makes killing hordes of poor little animals and monsters fun. But also sounds about like your usual battle theme in the series, not a bad thing like I mentioned before. Let's move on to the boss music. Now this one only plays for the big bosses at the end of each stratum, except for the final one, of course, and I presume the bonus dungeon will have a different one, too. So you have to imagine huge, huge enemies standing in front of you, a multitude of the size of your puny party. So that's why you get this imposing first bit, until after a while, presumably when you already started fighting, it gets more in on the action. For Etrian Odyssey IV I talked about how it alternates in tempo to represent your planning and attack phases. There's something similar going on here, but it doesn't feel as much correlated to that. I think it's better described as a back and forth between the enemy and your party. One impressing just with its majestic presence and your party battling against all common sense. Well then, let's pretend you've won a few times. You moved on. Now you're in the fourth stratum, time for the promised new battle theme. It sounds much more optimistic. I mean you've gained a lot of confidence at this point, won a lot of battles, so you can be pretty proud of yourself and hopeful to carry on easily, though the game will destroy all that cockiness soon anyway. But with all that behind it, the battle theme almost sounded like a Persona battle track to me, thankfully no one is singing. And since we're on the topic of singing, here's the final boss theme. It immediately stars off with a choir, which is just about the most tired cliché for a boss track, so I was immediately disappointed with this track. Thankfully, it slowly builds up to something really amazing. Very slowly, I must admit, this battle will probably take a while anyway. It's an incredibly slow track for a battle theme until maybe three and a half minutes in, but hey, you're spending all that time figuring out why you're getting slaughtered anyway. By the time you found your rhythm, you're already over three minutes in, so good thing, the track sounds a lot more optimistic by then. You can do it! Maybe. Well, at least if he doesn't do that one attack right now, that would be bad. Oh hey, remember that weird, weird music for the bonus dungeon (sure you do, I mentioned it above)? Yeah, well, this is the corresponding battle theme, which is, well, it's appropriate. Only listened to it once in the game, so I don't really have a feel for it yet. Just listened through it once and see for yourself. It sounds pretty awesome, I must say. There's some other battle tracks, I assume they come later, I just saw them now going through the soundtrack. So apparently there's a rather good arranged version of End of the Raging Waves from Etrian Odyssey III. But it's also an interesting example to see how boss battle themes have changed in the series (this was only two games ago after all). There's also this, which I don't know where it belongs, I imagine it's another boss fight, by the sound of it from the final final boss? I dunno, so let's just appreciate that it's there.

Okay, aside from the dungeon and battle music, there are, of course, some other tunes, mostly for event scenes and town areas, but let's not get to that. For all I care they are pretty standard and there's still some other important part I want to write about. And that's: DLC! Hooray! Etrian Odyssey V is not the first Koshiro game to receive an arranged soundtrack as DLC (last year was Gotta Protectors after all), but nevertheless it's all the more important for the Etrian Odyssey series. After all music in the series didn't always sound like this, with actual instruments and all that. Remember people were pretty upset when they changed that tradition with Etrian Odyssey IV (even though that soundtrack is pretty awesome anyway). There was an album with FM arrangement planned for Etrian Odyssey IV, but as far as I remember this was cancelled for reasons, I don't remember (probably didn't have the time, funding). But this time it worked out well. And it's not just on some external album, it's actual DLC for the game (very much worth it!). You can change between the original soundtrack and the arranged version at any time in the game (outside of battle and event scenes). So get that shit, and switch as often as you can. Some of the arranged tracks are even better than the originals, but that's a matter of taste, I guess.

I thought about writing this whole thing again, just with comments on the FM tracks, but this got a bit longer than I thought, and everyone's probably bored by now anyway (and that Zelda writeup isn't all that much shorter either), so I just give some examples, look up the rest if you're interested or better yet get the game, play the game or replay the game with the FM soundtrack turned on. So here's the arranged version of my favorite stratum theme, sounds pretty great as well. And here's the FOE battle track which I for some reason didn't see the normal version of, the FM version is pretty freaky (I actually don't think I ever fought an FOE with music set to FM). The theme for the third stratum is pretty good as well. And finally the boss theme in all its glory, have fun!

2) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Composed by Manaka Kataoka, Yasuaki Iwata, Hajime Wakai

Interestingly as much praise as this game (rightfully) gets, the music and especially the perceived lack thereof is often cited as a negative. They took a different approach than they usually did, sure, I mean they did that with basically the whole game, but the result is still nothing short of amazing. But let's first look at the good old regular music for towns, for dungeons, for event scenes, stuff you'd usually expect to have their own themes and unsurprisingly they are also present in Breath of the Wild.

My favorite town theme is the one for Kakariko Village. It may not be the one we've gotten used to over the years (youknow, thisnight variant of the track, btw. The game does a really good job of transitioning from one song to another, especially when moving from day to night (or vice versa). It slowly adapts to the new tune in a way you probably won't even notice at first, at some point the new music plays and it feels just right, like it just had to be there. I tried to capture the transition period on my Switch, but the damn capture feature is a bit short for that and thanks to people's tendency to talk over their YouTube videos, I couldn't really find a good example there either, but if you played the game, you'd know what I mean, the game does it all the time.
Anyway, let's listen to some more themes. I guess the music you will hear the most aside from the rather weird battle theme in all its variants, is the shrine theme, especially if you're like me and get stuck in these damn things from time to time. It's rather reserved, in a way, that you probably won't even take notice of it much after a while. I'd like to write a lot of clever things about this one and similar themes and music in the game, what with how the game uses a lot of pauses and just general silence to achieve its atmosphere, but then what do I know about music? I'd rather not make even more of a fool of myself than I'm already doing. So I leave that to the experts. I hope someone bothers to write something detailed about this game. It certainly deserves it.
Okay, time for some happy tunes. How about that music in the Hateno Ancient Tech Lab? That's fun, and I guess weirdly fitting for the strange characters living there. Maybe it sounds a bit more like crazy scientist than the actual otaku grandma that's there, but in a general sense that still works. Or how about this battle theme to get your blood pumping a little more? Or maybe something more melancholic. There even are dungeonthemes. Kakariko also isn'ttheonlytown in the game.
Finally there's this huge castle shrouded in darkness. Total spoiler: You get to go there later and it's pretty huge. It's difficult and rather hard to natvigate which can lead to some desperation, which is way this is its accompanying theme. And hey, listen! There's actually some "traditional" Zelda music in here.

Which brings me to the (hopefully) very brief second segment of my ongoing ramblings. The old music is still there! It's not usually not as prominent, but it's there. I won't spare you the really hidden and deconstructed ones, there are apparently plenty of YouTube videos about that. Some obvious ones that are in the game are Epona's Song, Fairy Fountain, the Master Sword music thingie from A Link to the Past and some random track from The Wind Waker. So, it's not like it's all new music with no nods to past games just because Kakariko Village is different. Maybe I've also just read too many YouTube comments while looking through this soundtrack to think this was a common complaint.

Okay. That's all nice and stuff, but these tracks only play for fracture of your whole playtime, don't they? All you mostly here is this and this, right? Well, yeah, kinda. But first let me direct you to what I wanted, but couldn't say about the Shrine Theme. And secondly, it's all about how you use it. The whole time you running and climbing through the world, you get hints and little sounds that tell you about your environment. There's that distant town music, there's Kass' music you can sometimes hear from afar, there's the sudden change when a dragon is near. The music changes when you're in the cold, when something evil targets you (this might as well be the final dungeon theme) or when that one cutscene approaches (the interval for this is just big enough that I almost always forget about it and then freak out and quickly look around to find out what the heck is going on now). In short: many of the more "atmospheric" tracks are used to give hints about things happening near you, things about to happen or just in general to give you that little bit of extra info about your environment. That's on top of all the sound effects used for creatures and objects around you. But there's just one more thing I still want to write about (sorry):

Tarrey Town. This is a bit of a shot in the dark. It's something I only found out about while going through the soundtrack, since I haven't really done much in this sidequest myself yet. I started it, so I know what it's about, but I didn't do much else yet. Anyway, this quest is about rebuilding a small town and for that you need to invite new people to the town. Not really a new idea for RPGs, I guess. What's interesting about it in terms of the music is that (apparently!) each time you add a new person to the town, they also add a new instrument to the town theme. So while you populate the town with new people, the music also changes, you unlock the full town theme step by step, so to speak. This sounds like a really nice concept, hopefully it works as well in the game as it sounds. Take a listen how the different steps in this quest sound.

So that's it. It's all about really well used music that supports the game here. It might not have that many "big" themes as some of the older games in the series, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Far from it. And now please someone explain this all better.

3) The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd
Composed by Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga, Ryo Takeshita
I guess it's no surprise Falcom found their way onto my list yet again, Trails in the Sky 2nd was my #1 in 2015 after all, and this one didn't disappoint either. It's one of those soundtracks for which I could probably just list every track, they are all great. Hmm...would only need 49 words for that. Nah.
Let's first look at how the game is structured. Unlike the other two games this isn't a game where you travel around the world and discover new lands bit by bit. Instead you're basically locked into a huge dungeon (dungeon crawler style), but here and there there are doors that "warp" you to cetain events in the outside world. It's designed to fill in some gaps of the previous and then lay the groundwork for the next ones (I guess, still waiting for them to get an English version, I'm hopeful, at least). So what we have is a huge chunk of battle themes (lots of fighting after all) and then the usual mix of area and even music. I gotta admit, a lot of the tracks I couldn't immediately associate with where they played and after a while of trying I kinda gave up on finding out. It's a game that took me over 50 hours after all. Okay, the other reason may be, that many themes are reused many times, so there's not a specific part they exclusively belong to. That's why this won't be a long post of (attempted) analyzing, just plenty of great music.

Okay, let's start with the event music then. Lots of shit happening here, so there quite a bit of sad or sorrowful tracks here. There are the two theme from the intro video and the main menu. And of course there are also some great tracks for when shit happens (don't want spoil anything, of course).

Which nicely leads to a nice huge list of battlethemes. This is the regular battle theme, btw., with a very different theme playing when you're low on health, which I have to admit can be a bit annoying at times, because it can constantly switch between this and the actual battle theme if you're having a bad fight (and heal and then get hit again). Still, I like the music, it could be used better, though. This is what I think is the standard fare boss battle music, there are loads of different ones used in moreimportantfights, though. And finally here's the theme for the very last boss fight, which is basically the game's way of telling you "You're almost there! You can do it!", which is something you might come to doubt a few times during this fight, so the help is appreciated.

But let's close it with some less energetic, but definitely just as great dungeon and general area themes. Like any proper dungeon crawler this game has plenty of different strata planes, that come withtheirownthemes. Then there's everything that's behindthevariousdoors you find in the game. Oh, and then there's the theme for the final dungeon of the game, which is fittingly awesome.

So that's it. I hope I didn't attribute anything to the wrong area, but eh, music's good either way. Guess this wasn't much of putting anything in context, but in exchange there's lots of nice music linked and all the words make it look a little better than just a huge list of things (and harder to find, too!). Don't think that's gonna last, the next entry on this list has some actual word-like things. This one wins anyway.

Last edited:

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And the rest:

4) Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Composed by Yuka Tsujiyoko, Takeru Kanazaki, Yasuhisa Baba, Takafumi Wada, Shoh Murakami, Yoshito Sekigawa

I didn't play the original Fire Emblem Gaiden, so I can't really make a comparison between the original OST and Shadow of Valentia's, but what I can say is that the music in this game is damn good. Fire Emblem's music usually is pretty good anyway, but this one might even be my favorite in the series (that I've played), but who'd really want to rank them (well, I'm sure plenty of people here would, I've seen worse)?
This being the type of game it is, most of the tracks either belong to battle, overworld or town music. It's interesting to see how transitions in the story are represented within the music. The game itself is divided in distinct chapters and you follow the path of two distinct armies throughout the game. That means there's different music depending on which army you're playing with as well as changes whenever you reach a new chapter.

Let's look at the music that plays on the overworld map first. You start out with this rather positive and adventurous song in chapter 1. Nothing much has happened yet in the greater scale of things, so the mood is still optimistic. Act 2 switches to the second army (that isn't much of an army yet), that isn't much of an army yet. The story background is more about that something happened, you don't what yet, so you're going out into the world to find out. The world map theme reflects that, it sounds ominous and mysterious. Chapter 3 is about finally going into battle and freeing your country. The theme therefore sounds a lot more heroic with some marching music in the background. I guess it fits one side of the story more than the other, but no way around that. This is the map music for the final act. Since this is of course leads to the end of story I don't want to comment much on what happens here, but as you hear it's drastically changes mood again. It fits, but I'd rather not mention why and if you've played the game you know what happens anyway. I haven't played the post-game bonus chapter, so I don't know what music plays there, let's just imagine it's a fitting one.

The battle music should be divided in (at least) three phases. First off, there's the battle preparation screen where you can position your party members and get an overview of the battle map. There are only three different ones as far as I know and I swear they ripped this one right out of an Ace Attorney game, or maybe that's just me. Celica's is pretty nice as well, and has the added bonus of not making you think of courtrooms.
Then we have the music that plays during battle. This also changes according to the army you're playing as and the chapter you're in. Enemy turns get their own music (per chapter) as well and of course there's special music for special battles. So it shouldn't be a surprise that these make up a huge chunk of the soundtrack. I don't want to go through each of them here, that might be a bit much, so I'll just list a few of my favorite for each type. Alm's battle map theme for Act IV is the strongest for his side, over the course of the game his map themes are building up, so I guess it's no surprise this is the one that feels the most "completed". It's similar for Celica, but I actually like her map theme for Act III a bit more, it has the nice build up (or whatever you want to call it) within the song. My pick for the best standard enemy turn music is this one from Alm's side. It evokes the feeling of a proper army marching against you which, well, is exactly what's happening.
Finally the map themes for special battles. There's a lot of vocal tracks here to make them stand out even more. A fair bit of warning, though. The names usually include who you're fighting against, so if you don't want to know, don't click the links here, I'll do my best not to mention them. Most of them are from late in the game. Makes it a bit hard to talk about them, of course. Well, there's this track which sounds like straight out of an opera (this is not Fire Emblem game with the opera house, though). Here's another one from very late in the game which fits well with that character's descend into madness. And then this is the final map's theme. This is a very long fight (think around 1.5 hours), so I'm glad that this is both very great and motivating theme as well as one of the longest tracks on the soundtrack, so it doesn't get boring fast, though honestly I was probably sweating too much to notice the music looping all that much anyway.

Okay, this went on for far too long for an honorable mention anyway (the other one is short and sweet, I promise), so let's close off with some random themes that didn't fit in the sections above. Let's start of with the village theme, quite a difference after listening to all that battle music, isn't it? It really stays true to its name ("Serenity"), it's calm it's relaxing, just stay here for a minute longer. Similarly, this is the castle theme, equally relaxing after all those battles, but I guess it makes you want to stand up instead of sit down. Less relaxing and more creepy is the dungeon theme that feels like there might be ghosts haunting you. On that note have some very sad music from certain events. Too sad? How about another nice and relaxing town theme? And finally the main menu theme and the credits theme.

x. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone
(I'll spare you the huge list of composers involved, it's a quick mention anyway)
Just because it's a rhythm game with ridiculous amount of content. I don't think I need to link to all those songs again, but I still think it deserves to be mentioned.

LTTP) Rudra no Hihou (Treasure of the Rudras)
Composed by Ryuji Sasai

By Ryuji Sasai of Mystic Quest Legend fame! Though this game's soundtrack isn't as "butt rock-y" if you want to call it that. But then again Rudra no Hihou takes itself a bit more seriously (well, a little bit), so I guess a more varied soundtrack is only appropriate. The game is divided into four scenarios (3 of them with completely unique characters), but most of the music is tied to areas, so it doesn't change much between the different scenarios. What does change each time is the boss music. My favorite one is probably (at the time of writing this) Surlent's, but the other three are also pretty nice. The final boss battle deserves a special mention. Of course, it has multiple phases. Each of them has its own unique track, including the big revelatory explanation beforehand. Oh, and there's a regular battle theme, too (go figure)! This stays the same between all scenarios, but it's pretty good, so I don't mind. Finally, there's one extra theme for a very special boss fight. Can't go without mentioning that one.

And, of course, each of the main characters has their own theme song which I think is mostly use as their map theme. Anyway, that means there are four(main)mapthemes as well, though I'm not really sure if that last one ever actually plays on a map screen or just as a general theme when that character is involved. Probably the latter, considering the nature of the final scenario. The are some additional themes for special overworld areas, my favorite is probably this one. Thereisalsoaprettybigamountoftownthemes. But I don't really want to go through them track by track, I don't even remember which one plays where, so just click yourself through the last sentence, each word a new surprise!

Samegoesforallthemanydungeon (orothermonsterinfestedarea) themes. Still I want to point out my two favoritetracks.

And finally (finally!) the ending theme in twoparts. And that's it. I know I listed more than I actually wrote why I liked all the tracks, but sometimes that's gotta be enough. And somehow I linked to about 90% of the whole soundtrack here (see if you can find them all). If you like the music, try the game! As far as I know this never got a sequel or anything, despite being very ambitious and very good at the same time. It's somewhat forgotten these days. Oh, and sorry for linking some "extended" versions, but the tracks on the actual OST release are (apparently) pretty short and have some strange cutoffs. I guess they had to fit it all on one disc? But apart from the battle tracks, I couldn't find many "extended" version anyway.

LTTP2) Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Composed by Hirokazu Ando, Jun Ishikawa
It's Kirby. So this has got to be an assortment of happy and relaxing tunes, right? Wrong! Well, actually you're right, but there are some notable exceptions hereandthere. The huge chunk of the soundtrack is made up of the usualcalm or cheerful tunes that go well with your relentless killing in the game. One specific track I want to highlight is "Reflected Laughter" which is actually just a remix of a different track from the game, but with the added benefit it plays in a really good stage.
Overall it's a soundtrack for a platformer, so there's not much of distinct themes that reflect the story or anything (as for the musical details of it all, I'm hardly qualified to judge anything based on that), so let's settle that, like the game, it's a soundtrack that certainly puts you in a better mood when (and hopefully after) you listen to it. So then, havesomemorenicemusic! :)
I hope multiple LTTPs are allowed? If not, just regard Rudra no Hihou as the actual vote (as far as LTTPs are a "vote") and Kirby as the hidden bonus.

Some tracks from other games that didn't quite make the cut:

Nier Automata: Become as Gods
Overall I didn't quite like Automata's soundtrack as much as the first game's (though the game was much better), but I still think this track deserves a mention because it's masterful use within the game, which helps to make this the most memorable segment of the game (for me).
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana: Deadly Temptation
An Ys game, of course, has to be properly represented by one of its battle themes. While it didn't make the list in the end, Ys VIII's soundtrack is still excellent, just not Ys Seven excellent. :P
Super Mario Odyssey: Jump Up, Super Star
Yeah, it's the easy choice and there certainly are other good tracks, but it captures the joy of playing the game very well. Plus this was background music of practically all of Nintendo's E3 which firmly burned this into my brain.
Atelier Firis: Firefly Nation
Sadly, I didn't play much of this game yet and also didn't play any other of Gust's games this year (I hear Blue Reflection supposedly has a great soundtrack), so this small mention is all I can give to the amazing Gust soundtracks this year. I also someone here played and votes for the new ClaDun game. Sadly, I didn't play it yet, but what I've heard of the soundtrack seems excellent yet again.

Last edited:

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Question: how are songs that aren't in the game itself but are on the officially released soundtrack for the game treated? Super Bomberman R has 2 remixes of its ending theme (1 for each version) and I think 2-3 unused tracks. It's probably going to be my top spot regardless, but if I can count the songs then it's certain.

OP
OP
Grexeno

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Question: how are songs that aren't in the game itself but are on the officially released soundtrack for the game treated? Super Bomberman R has 2 remixes of its ending theme (1 for each version) and I think 2-3 unused tracks. It's probably going to be my top spot regardless, but if I can count the songs then it's certain.
The songs you choose don't really matter.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
The songs you choose don't really matter.
I know that, but the soundtrack is the songs its composed of, so it could be stronger/weaker depending on what's included.

Going to stop being pedantic because it's not that big of a deal. I just need to decide my ordering, although I have some omissions in titles I had planned to get to, mostly sonic forces and nier.
EDIT: And this was with the basis on that this was a 3 game list like OST awards in the past. Didn't really look at the OP yet so I didn't realize you went with a 10 game ballot format. I'm going to have more holes than swiss cheese but I'm confident in #1.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
TR416gQ.png
CDb6Z8Q.png
eAH1MLx.png

- Definitely a departure from past Zeldas, but I ended up loving it. Atypical meter, crazy piano lines, and swelling melodies make this the weirdest and most varied take on Hyrule to date. I love the contrast between the eerie, menacing shrines and guardians, the pastoral villages and fields, the comfy character themes, and the majestic Hyrule Castle. Plenty of returning themes are well-utilized, but the original compositions are the real standouts.

Main Theme
Shrine
Hateno Village
Divine Beast Vah Ruta Battle
Korok Forest
Hyrule Castle

2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - A strong return to the style of the original Xenoblade Chronicles. Don't get me wrong; I loved the more audacious sound of X as well. But this soundtrack is like JRPG comfort food. Field themes range from grandiose to achingly beautiful, and there's an embarrassing wealth of kickass battle themes.

Boss Theme 2
Fonsa Myma (Night)
Rosa Battle
Morytha
Unique Monster Battle

3. NieR: Automata - Equal parts bombast and melancholy, it's easy to see why this soundtrack is so beloved. Probably the most consistently excellent soundtrack of any game this year.

Alien Manifestation
Fortress of Lies
Amusement Park
Pascal
Grandma (Destruction) (<-- Track name of the year)

4. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth - Another great Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack in the Etrian Odyssey catalog. This one is full of long, slow build-ups that pay off in spades. It's both nostalgic and new, just like the series itself.

Dungeon, 1F-5F
Seasoned Veterans (Lucky)
Dungeon, 21F-25F
Seeds of Truth (<-- Well worth the four minute build-up...)
Dungeon, 26F-30F

5. Super Mario Odyssey - Fun and cheerful; this is a soundtrack that just makes me feel good.

Wooded Kingdom - Steam Gardens
Jump Up, Super Star!
Bower's Kingdom - Bowser's Castle 2

6. Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood - More great music for Final Fantasy XIV. A good mix of themes for the various fields, dungeons, and boss battles. Doesn't stick too slavishly to the expansion's militaristic tone; there's still plenty of variety.

Shisui of the Violet Tides
Doma Castle
The Lochs (Daytime)

7. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - Surprising and charming. Grant Kirkhope offers a lot of cool takes on established Mario themes and great new music all his own.

Hoppers!
Mid Boss Mayhem
Spooky Skirmish

8. Cuphead - A very cool soundtrack in a style that doesn't see a lot of play in games. Lots of great boss and character themes, which suits the game perfectly.

Honeycomb Herald
Inkwell Hell
The King's Court

9. Splatoon 2 - The Splatoon games have an incredibly distinctive style, and the music is a big part of that. I want to visit this parallel dimension of squid kids and other sentient sea creatures.

Color Pulse (Off the Hook)
Shooting Starfish (Turquoise October)

10. ARMS - I mean, just listen to this.

Main Theme

Last edited:

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
1. Nier: Automata
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ_aT4T89aU&t=348s

And it works so well with the gameplay

Played many and many games this year, but this is the only one worth mentioning. It has music that actually makes sense somehow within the context of the game. It's very dynamic. It makes you happy, sad, euphoric even. The music transported me into the game. And I usually don't like vocals in game OST's, but this just works.

So yeah, it's my only pick.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This almost instantly became my favorite video game soundtrack of all time. I am so glad they made the bold choice to go this direction. It's focused and purposeful. It's sentimental and heartwarming. It's modern. It's descriptive. It's stirring. I love it.

2. Nier: Automata
3. Persona 5
4. Gravity Rush 2
5. Horizon: Zero Dawn
6. Gran Turismo Sport
7. Sonic Mania

I've played more games than these, but these are the ones I feel strongly enough about to give points.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
Its the subtlety and seamlessness of the tracks that play throughout the game that I enjoy about the soundtrack, they just drift in as you explore the world and enhance the overall nature of the game throughout. The Sheikh Tower theme gave me chills every time I climbed one of those beacons, it just perfectly fits the moment and mood along with that sense of wonder you get when at the top of them overlooking what can be explored in the immediate area and beyond. The moments when your riding along and the music kicks in with the nod to the more established tracks of the series in a style more appropriate to the nature of this entry are just beautiful, I'm glad they are implemented this way as too much could have ruined the overall explorative feeling the majority of the game has.

The town tracks are fantastic too. Reaching Hateno Village for the first time and running around doing some general nonsense for an hour or two just listening to the music was delightful. Im not clued in enough to know the ins and outs of who worked on what tracks but with Manaka Kataoka involved in the OST a lot of the tracks sound like they would fit right in the next instalment of the Animal crossing series. I really enjoyed the hour tracks she created for New Leaf and this does a similar job in style and feel with the different field and town themes.

The Hyrule Castle theme is also another fantastic implementation of the iconic tracks from the series history and used again seamlessly and effectively throughout the traveling inside and outside the castle.

I would liked to have heard some more memorable boss battle, dungeon themes or variety in the test of strength shrines as those didn't seem to have as much effect as the other sections but it is a small complaint when it does so much really well.

In some ways I'm very conflicted on the game, everything new about the open world feels great while the dungeons just don't work as well as they have in previous entries but those large portions of the game that have you explore are accompanied by some incredible music. In the way it is produced and implemented there is something seamless about the way the vast majority works and flows together. The tracks mentioned sound great when listening out with the game and are some of the most enjoyable and effective tracks that have accompanied a game in a while for me. Just Beautiful.

Sheikah Tower
Riding Horse (Night)
Hateno Village
Hyrule Castle
Main Theme

Here is a hour long collection of some of the tracks I really enjoyed throughout the game

2. Super Mario Odyssey
Its just delightful. When the game was first announced and with all the media thereafter I was a bit confused as to what was going on, it all seemed wacky, even more so than usual but it all worked together in an extraordinary way and the music helped keep it all together. Fossil falls and Steam Gardens are fun tracks which compliment the areas they are heard in very well. Bowsers Castle also complimented that stage with it itself taking a new departure from the visuals that are found in a bowser stage within the series.

The vocal tracks are fun. Taking part in the festival and that last bowser sequence are wacky in of themselves and the vocal music Is a fun and bizarre accompaniment to the goings on.

As with the game its just fun for the most part. Some tracks don't keep up to the same catchy themes set by the tracks mentioned but for the most part it works very well in adding to the gameplay of each section.

Cascade Kingdom
Steam Gardens
Jump Up Superstar
Bowsers Castle

Honourable mentions
Not got around to a lot this year but here are some that I think deserve a mention.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Playing a little bit here and there so it could move up before the count but only a small number of hours in. Its Ys music. It has that great mix of bombastic songs such as the field exploration theme Sunshine Coastline along with the more subtle tracks and laid back fun stuff. So far its been fun to listen to especially that guitar and drum madness you expect to find in a ys game.

Sunshine Coastline
Lacrimosa of Dana

Nier: Automata
I just haven't played it.. I was a huge fan of the first game mainly because of the soundtrack and the atmosphere it helped create going through the game and not necessarily the gameplay itself. Ive listened to a lot of the soundtrack and its incredible. Just can't vote for it not knowing how it is implemented or hearing the whole thing together. Similar to Niers though it is beautiful from what I've heard.

A Beautiful Song
Dark Colossus

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
I finished it when it was first released and the music does such a great job of conveying Ivalice and the tone and aesthetic of the game. I've listened to some of this version of the soundtrack and it sounds like they have made some adjustments here and there at least from what I remember but nothing which diverges drastically from the original. I've only played a small number of hours of this rerelease so far but yeah the soundtrack is incredible. Sakimoto makes incredible music in general. Getting Yoshida, Sakimoto and Matsuno back together to have another Ivalice game would be awesome.

Cerobi Steppe
Struggle for Freedom

Going through the thread I gotta play that new FF XV stuff, sounds great. Fire Emblem shadows of Valencia sounds great too.

Last edited: