• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1. Nier: Automata: I won't have time to beat the game but I bought the soundtrack and listen to it religiously. It's amazing and I love it.

2. Cuphead: it has some amazing jazz/big band tracks and it's incredibly unique and original.

3. Persona 5: while you'll never see it comiiiiiing became a great meme it doesn't take away that the game was fun and had a great soundtrack. Not as strong as persona 4 golden imho but still one of the best.

4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: this game had fantastic tracks, though more on the town themes being really Damn great vs more bombastic tracks that I tend to enjoy.

MrToffee

Jan 7, 2018
I got my list on video (check it out here; would really love your support: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey0iH3zLDxk), but I'll also write down my top 10:

1. NieR Automata - Haunting melodies and outerworldly chants and chiptune remixes coupled with indescribable tunes that mesmerize. It's a huge travesty not to include this in a 2017 best game music list.
Pascal
Forest Kingdom

2. Persona 5 - Shoji Meguro's done it again with a modern day soundtrack filled with acid jazz, rock, piano rhythms & solo, and vocals from Lyn.
The Whims of Fate
Life Will Change (Instrumental)
Behind The Mask (Rain)

3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - This JRPG OST hits all the expected beats, but goddamn if it didn't do it with resounding success and passion. Goddamn can Nintendo + Monolith Soft please release the OST so I can buy it for myself & my JRPG-lovin' friends?!?!?
Mor Ardain (Day)
Gormott (Day)
Battle Theme #3

4. Ys VIII: The Lacrimosa of Dana - Trust the Falcom JDK sound team to rock it out.
Next Step Towards The Unknown
Iclucian Dance

5. Cuphead - An Ellington ensemble in my hardcore 2D shooter? Hell yeah!
Botanic Panic
Treetop Trouble

6. Splatoon 2 - This squidverse shooter's got it all: pop music, j-rock riffs, string quartets, and reverbs up the wazoo.
Deluge Dirge
Color Pulse
Octo Eight-Step

7. Sonic Mania - a lovely neo-throwback with appropriate remixes & new tunes. I love the fact that Tee Lopes followed the Sonic 3 style of music compositions.
Hydrocity Zone Act 2
Green Hill Zone Act 2

8. Super Mario Odyssey - full of vibrant energy and catchy jingles. But the obvious standouts are "Jump Up Superstar" and "Break Free (Lead The Way)".
Jump Up, Superstar
Break Free (Lead The Way)
Steam Gardens

9. Hollow Knight - A nice blend of synths and melodic motifs in this unique Metroidvania game.
Crossroads
City of Tears

10. Night In The Woods - This OST mixes in traditional adventure music tropes with unique lyrical weirdness.
Home Again
Pierogies In The Dark

Last edited:

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
  1. Cuphead. The jazz / big band orchestra soundtrack really complement the game's 1930 visuals well, especially with how they have the filter to make it sound muffled / distorted to match the sound quality of the period. Seriously planning to eventually purchase the soundtrack at some point.
    1. Floral Fury (Cagney Carnation Theme)
    2. Carnival Kerfluffle (Bippo the Clown Theme)
  2. Sonic Mania. The redone compositions for returning levels breathe some amazing new vibes into the zones (Metallic Madness Act 2 is one of my favorite new songs in general), while the original tracks encapsulate the 90s pop touch of the original games with modern instruments (Studiopolis is a landmark new entry in one of the series' best tunes). Not surprised it's gotten more than a few nods on some major websites (such as winning IGN's Best of 2017 People's Choice Award for Best Original Music and getting an honorable mention on the PlayStation Blog for Best Soundtrack).
    1. Press Garden Act 1
    2. Stardust Speedway Act 2

Last edited:

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - loved the focus on piano, it really set the tone of the world
  2. Nier Automata - wierd and really atmosheric
  3. Super Mario Odyssey - amazing variation
  4. Arms - best music ever in a fighter
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - music is better than the actual game

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
1. Persona 5
Shoji Meguro
A new Persona soundtrack is cause for celebration, particularly when it leans this heavily into Fender Rhodes laced fusion and 1970's after school special funk. Delivers a cohesive package of tasteful musicianship, hummable earworms, recurring leitmotifs, atmospheric remixes and dramatic climaxes for 100+ hours like only Meguro can.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Manaka Kataoka, Yasuaki Iwata
Refreshingly understated for such a massive game, complimenting the narrative and allowing space for the ambient sound design to shine alongside the musical direction. And when the music needs to hit, it hits.
3. DJMAX RESPECT
Various Artists
The definitive collection for a niche rhythm series that truly deserves it. 100+ hits, hidden gems, lost favorites and DLC additions from over a decade's worth of platforms and licensing deals. Also includes over 40 new charts to dig through and menu music that passes the "I'm just gonna sit here for a minute while this loops" test with ease.
4. Nidhogg 2
Mux Mool, Various Artists
Just a fire compilation of wonky electro bangers. High replay value. Mux Mool you da real MVP.
5. NieR: Automata
Keiichi Okabe, Keigo Hoashi, Kuniyuki Takahashi
A striking OST arranged with purpose and craft. Quiet moments are tinged with melancholy, fanfares boom with a sense of apocalyptic dread. Uplifting yet oppressive, tender yet eerie and perfect for the tone of the game.
6. Endless Space 2
FlybyNo
I'm a sucker for the sounds of synth-oriented space exploration. Endless Space 2 doesn't necessarily break new ground on this front but it's great at what it does. Shout out for going with the dulcimer and bassoon combo for the race of space trees, that's inspired stuff.
7. Yakuza 0
Hidenori Shoji, Various Artists
So this is where Sega's sound wizards have been hiding. Chunky fight music, standout novelty tracks and a theme for every vibe the game throws at you, from pensive reflection to sitcom shenanigans.
8. Sonic Mania
Tee Lopes
I am a 16 and 32-bit Sonic OST traditionalist, and so is Sonic Mania. Nails the 90's Sega chiptune sound in both remix and original form.
9. Splatoon 2
Toru Minegishi, Shiho Fuji, Ryo Nagamatsu
Nothing sounds like Splatoon and set no. 2 is just as weird and catchy as the first. Expands on the game's musical lore as much as its trippy audio aesthetic.
10. Pyre
Darren Korb
Diverse compositions that shape the personality of the cast, the majesty of the setting and the momentum of the journey. Utilizes layering effectively to add musical dynamics to dialogue heavy sequences.

Honorable Mentions:
Super Mario Odyssey - Naoto Kubo, Shiho Fujii, Koji Kondo - Fossil Falls (8-bit)
SteamWorld Dig 2 - Image & Form Games - El Machino
Tekken 7 - Akitaka Tohyama - Midnight Closet
Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! - Jonathan Greer - Main Menu A
Terra Battle 2 - Nobuo Uematsu - Story Theme 1
Destiny 2 - Michael Salvatori, Skye Lewin, C Paul Johnson - The Hunted

LTTP:
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (2014)
Tomomi Teratani, Yuji Takenouchi, Rio Okano, Atsushi Yamaji
Finally played through D4 this past year and man that title theme is still the best. Whole soundtrack holds up nicely, shame there will never be another.

Last edited:

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
1. Nier: Automata - There was lots of good music on games this year, but nothing comes close to Nier for me. On top of having some absolutely amazing tracks, Nier also uses music in a masterful way. From perfectly changing songs at pivotal dialogue moments to drive home emotion, to switching to 8-bit versions during hacking minigames, the music is used more effectively than I've ever seen. A few of my favorite tracks include:

The Sound of the End
Wretched Weaponry
Resistance Camp
Birth of a Wish

2. Horizon Zero Dawn - While this game doesn't leverage its music in the same way as Nier, I still really love it as a whole. While it may not punch in the same weight class as number 1 on my list, its mucic still conveys a ton of mood and emotion. This game also has the distinction of its main theme nearly moving me to tears the first time I ever heard it (at the games reveal iirc). Needless to say, it's my first and favorite example below.

Main Theme
Battle Theme III
Marker's End

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Out of all the new games I played in last year I would rank them something like this though picking between Nier, Persona and Gravity Rush 2 (went back to hear some tracks and it's so god damn good) is hard:

1. Nier: Automata
Possessed by a Disease

2. Persona 5
Layer Cake
3. Gravity Rush 2
Nevi Boss Battle
4. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 3rd
Overdosing Heavenly Bliss

Honorable mentions:
GT Sport - I only played the beta but loved the menu music
Street Fighter V DLC music - STV in general has amazing music, huge step up from SFIV
Fire Embelm Echoes: I have not played the game but it has some killer soundtrack

LTTP:
Okami - amazing soundtrack I remebered how good it was thanks to HD remaster.
Trails of Cold Steel II - has one of my favorite battle themes of all time. The story context makes this song amazing.
Blue Destination

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. NieR: Automata - This is definitely my favorite OST of all time. Not only are the songs incredible all on their own, but they are used perfectly in game too. I can't link the best version of my favorite song because the title includes spoilers, but if you played the game you know which one it is. I'm linking a few that came to mind while making this post, but they are in no ranking or order.
Copied City
A Beautiful Song
Blissful Death

2. Persona 5 - I like this one even more than the P4G OST, and that is saying a lot. In a year without Nier: Automata, this would've been an easy pick for #1. The fact that a lot of these tracks accompanied me through the game for over 100 hours+ and I never got tired of them speaks volumes to their quality.
Life Will Change
River in the Desert
Beneath the Mask

Matthew

Oct 26, 2017
1. Life is Strange: Before the Storm.
From the original soundtrack by Daughter to the other licenced tracks, brilliant. Perfect to help set to mood.

Just a couple of examples.

2. Super Mario Odyssey.
The main song "Jump up Super Start" is so well done, incredibly catchy. My two daughters (2 and 5) just can't have enough of it... Drives me mad.

3. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.
Great mix of classic tunes and new tunes.
https://youtu.be/KJnySGKrMhU

4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Now Axel's doing a write-up right! Take notes, everyone!
my musical musings will never be so strong, I'll just enjoy reading them instead.

This thread keeps making me want to pick back up Fire Emblem Echoes, but those maps are so aggressively mediocre!
In any case Axel wrapped up the title theme in such a neat package I now have gone from "it's okay" to "it's pretty great"

Oct 27, 2017
1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE (TOMOri Kudo, CHiCO), Kenji Hiramatsu, Manami Kiyota
Incoming!
Alba Cavanich (Night)
Counterattack

2. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Takeru Kanazaki, Yasuhisa Baba, Takafumi Wada, Sho Murakami
Twilight of the Gods
A Song for Bygone Days
Lord of a Dead Empire

3. Etrian Odyssey V (2017 in NA)
Yuzo Koshiro
Labyrinth I - Guardian Spirit's Woodland
Unrest - Empty Ringing, the Earth Splits
Unrest - End of the Raging Waves (Arranged Version)

4. Persona 5
Shoji Meguro
Life Will Change (Instrumental Version)
Will Power
Ark

5. Puyo Puyo Tetris
Hideki Abe
It's Been a Long Time Since We Passed Through Spacetime!
Tectonic Tetro at War!
Challenge GO! Puyo 2 Tetris!

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
From the grandiose area themes, to the emotional story themes, to the two outstanding vocal themes, this game's OST is something to behold. I like some of X's songs and absolutely adored the original's OST, so I certainly did not expect XC2 to outdone it.
But it did, and I will proudly declare that XC2 has a GOAT soundtrack to anyone.
Battle Theme #3
Nintendo should release the soundtrack asap, I will buy it in a heartbeat.

2. Persona 5
Wow. Just wow.
Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There
Rivers in the Desert

3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
BotW's soundtrack is the most underrated aspect of the game. The more piano focus soundtrack definitely serves to highlight the world in its somber, destroyed state, but it also allows the high points of the soundtrack to hit the player where it counts.
Main Theme
Molduga Battle

4. Super Mario Odyssey

Odyssey is a bundle of fun - from gameplay to music.
Jump Up, Super Star!
Steam Gardens (Wooded Kingdom)

5. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia

Twilight of the Gods
The Heritors of Arcadia

6. Nier: Automata

Amusement Park
The Weight of the World

7. Splatoon 2
Spicy Calamari Inkantation
Deluge Dirge - ω-3 (Salmon Run)

Last edited:

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
1. Persona 5
Layer Cake
Rivers in the Desert

2. Nier: Automata
Weight of the World (Emis Evans)
City Ruins (Dynamic, Vocals)

3. Sonic Mania
Studiopolis Act 1
Chemical Plant Zone Act 2

4. Super Mario Odyssey
Jump Up, Super Star
Steam Gardens

5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Dark Beast Ganon
Tarrey Town

6. Cuphead
Floral Fury
Murine Corps

7. Xenoblade 2
Leftherian Archipelago (day)
Counterattack

8. Gravity Rush 2
A Red Apple Fell From The Sky
Night Gale

It feels like a crime ranking these games. The years was too good.

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
(Click the images for full soundtracks)

1. Divinity: Original Sin 2

Main Theme
Rivellon
Dancing With the Source (Bansuri)
A Part of Their Story

My personal GOTY '17 and the soundtrack is a big part of that. Such an amazing score! From the Main Theme to all the battle themes, each song have their own flair and as a whole, the soundtrack really succeeds in setting the perfect mood for every situation.

2. Super Mario Odyssey
Steam Gardens
New Donk City: Daytime
Main Theme/Fossil Falls

One of the best Mario games with a very solid and fun soundtrack. Each world's theme fits perfectly and just enhances the feeling of pure joy you feel while playing this game.

3. Mass Effect:Andromeda
A Better Beginning
Memories
Neutron Purge

Say what you want about the game itself (I quite enjoyed it), but the soundtrack is stellar. While nowhere NEAR as good as the original trilogy's (like the game itself), the music has a real sense of...wonder to it. Like, it really sounds like you're on a grand mission to discover and explore a new galaxy. That main menu music (A Better Beginning) sets the mood perfectly and it just keeps going from there.

Honorable Mentions

VVVVVV (Switch)
Pushing Onwards
One of the best chip tune soundtracks ever made

Undertale (PS4)
Megalovania
One of the best soundtracks ever made, period. Doesn't contain a single sub-par song. Amazing.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Nex Machina

2. Cuphead

3. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

4. Horizon: Zero Dawn

5. Life is Strange: Before the Storm

6. Yakuza 0

7. Steamworld Dig 2

8. Ruiner

Oct 25, 2017
1. Nier Automata - What a beautiful soundtrack. I bounced between this and Persona 5, but Nier gives me CHILLS. Especially within the context of the game.
2. Persona 5 - Dat damn battle music. Plus almost every track is just catchy in some way.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
1. Horizon: Zero Dawn - This has been the only game so far I have ever played in my life where the soundtrack almost put me to sleep because I was so relaxed.
2. Uncharted: Lost Legacy - I have loved the previous Uncharted soundtracks and this was just as good.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Nier: Automata - It's pretty hard to beat a Shoji Meguro soundtrack, but the brilliance of Keiichi Okabe reflected through the weird mind of Yoko Taro gives us this masterpiece of a soundtrack that does just that. With its swelling orchestras, nonce language, and overall variety, Nier's soundtrack shines and deserves all the awards it's been given. See:
    Memories of Dust
    The End of YoRHa
  2. Persona 5 - This may miss out on most memorable Persona soundtrack due to a surprising dearth of vocal tracks, but that's not saying much. Like everything else in this game, what does hit the mark hits hard and oozes style. Acid jazz forever! See:
    Last Surprise
    Beneath the Mask
  3. Super Mario Odyssey - You might not have taken full notice or appreciation of this soundtrack, because it's just one small part of an absolute masterpiece. Like the game it's in, this soundtrack is incredibly varied and all-throughout magical. [Oddy]See:
    Jump Up, Super Star!
    Bowser's Kingdom
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - With a collection of relaxing ambient tracks and powerful melodies, this soundtrack is as breathtaking and refreshing as the game. See:
    Kakariko Village (Day)
    Beast Ganon (Phase 2)
  5. Yakuza 0 - The only series where you have to ask yourself, "Yeah, I don't know if the music is better in the boss fights, or the karaoke mini game." See:
    Intro (US Version)
    JUDGMENT (Brother NISHIKI)
  6. Cuphead - 20's swing music is great. And like everything else in this small indie game, it is painstakingly well-crafted and authentic. See:
    Introduction
    Treetop Trouble
  7. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - FFXII is just as great on PS4 as PS2, and the redone soundtrack is really nice. See:
    LowTown
    Eryut Village
  8. Sonic Mania - Leave it to the fans to make not only the best Sonic game in years, but also the best tracks. Genesis-synth is more alive now than 25 years ago. See:
    Studiopolis Zone Act 1
    Press Garden Zone Act 2
  9. FAST RMX - A new FAST entry means sick new dubstep/electronic/whatever-you-call-it tracks. F-Zero would smile on this indie series. See:
    Neo Kyoto
    Caldera Post
  10. Splatoon 2 - More squids, more freshness. I don't know what to call this sound, but I like it. See:
    Ebb & Flow
    Low Tide
Honorable Mention:
Beyond Good & Evil: I played this game for the first time in January of 2017, and while for various reasons I ended up feeling that the gameplay didn't hold up, the world is well-realized and the soundtrack is poppin'. Have a listen!
Spanish Bar
Propaganda

Last edited:

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japanese devs (Nintendo + Square Enix) ruled this year as usual imo.
Every western game just spits out generic movie-like soundtracks.
Horizon for example - Well made but boring except for some small pieces of melody
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Nier: Automata
  4. Arms
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  6. Metroid Samus Returns
  7. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  8. Splatoon 2
My favorite two songs this year:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Every western game just spits out generic movie-like soundtracks.

I encourage you to read through some of the other submissions on this thread, there have been plenty of nominations for really well done Western OSTs, albeit many from smaller games that may not have gotten the attention they deserve.

Minimo

Release Manager
Verified
Dec 29, 2017
I'm going to stick with my top three for now... if I think of any more, I'll come back and quote myself and add to it ;)

1. Mass Effect Andromeda -
No space odyssey would be complete without a phenomenal soundtrack, and John Paesano did not disappoint. So many of these tracks give me chills, even after hundreds of listens.
A Better Beginning
Heleus
Exaltation

2. Life is Strange: Before the Storm - I was so glad when I heard Daughter was doing the licensed soundtrack for BTS. Not only is this one of my favourite game soundtracks of the year, it's one of my favourite albums from the year.
Glass
Dreams of William

3. PREY - For a game like PREY, the sound design and soundtrack can make or break the game. Thankfully, it absolutely smashed it out the park in both these two areas.
Everything Is Going to Be OK
Typhon Voices

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
1. NieR Automata - I didn't even like the game that much, but the soundtrack is absolutely the best and most coherent in 2017.
Memories of dust
Amusement park
Birth of a wish - Become as gods
Alien manifestation

2. Persona 5 - Great title song and final boss song. The rest of the OST is quite good too.
Wake up, get up, get out there
Jaldabaoth

3. Life is Strange: Before the Storm - I didn't even realize Daughter did the soundtrack before I had finished the game. Though there are some tracks from other artists too. Eerie OST that really fits the mood of the game.
The right way around
Numbers

4. Pyre - Darren Korb is one my favorite composers. Another solid OST that really brings life to the game.
In the flame
Moon-touched

5. Night in the Woods - Really solid soundtrack. The band practise songs were fun.
Die anywhere else
Weird autumn

6. Prey - It's not as coherent, but there are some really nice tracks. Everything is going to be ok is my GOTY track of 2017
Everything is going to be ok
Mind Games

7. Cuphead - The OST fits the game like a glove.
Sugarland shimmy

8. What Remains Of Edith Finch - Perfectly ok soundtrack.
The end

9. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Unsurprisingly very movie like OST
End of the line

10. Finding Paradise - The soundtrack (or the game) isn't as good as To the Moon, but it's still moving and worth a listen.
The scale theme (piano and cello version)

Last edited:

Sylvalum

Oct 26, 2017
Madrid, Spain
This is even more hype than the GOTYs themselves, let's go. ♥
    Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu, Manami Kiyota

jP4opZz.png

Kingdom of Uraya (Day)
    Mor Ardain - Roaming the Wastes
    Kingdom of Tantal (Day)
    Battle Theme #3
    One Last You
    Drifting Souls

Keiichi Okabe, Keigo Hoashi

cLHLran.png

Memories of Dust
    Possessed by a Disease
    Weight of the World (Japanese Ver.)
    Vague Hope/Cold Rain

3. Persona 5
    Shoji Meguro

5obNBMf.png

Rivers in the Desert
    Life Will Change
    Wake up, Get up, Get out there
    Last Surprise

4. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
    Takeru Kanazaki, Yasuhisa Baba, Takafumi Wada, Sho Murakami
    The Heritors of Arcadia (Japanese Ver.)
    The Sacrifice and the Saint
    Twilight of the Gods

5. Sonic Mania
    Tee Lopes
    Hydrocity Zone - Act 2
    Mirage Saloon Zone - Act 1
    Chemical Plant Zone - Act 2

6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Manaka Kataoka, Yasuaki Iwata, Hajime Wakai
    Rito Village
    Hyrule Field (Horse - Night)
    Hatred and Malice Incarnate, Dark Beast Ganon

7. Splatoon 2
    Toru Minegishi
    Spicy Calamari Inkantation (Squid Sisters)
    Ebb & Flow (Off the Hook)
    Acid Hues (Off the Hook)

8. ARMS
    Atsuko Asahi, Yasuaki Iwata
    Ribbon Ring (Ribbon Girl's Stage)
    Scrapyard (Mechanica's Stage)

9. Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy
    Tomohito Nishiura
    Main Theme
    London Streets (Inside Ver.)

10. Cuphead
    Kris Maddigan
    Pyramid Peril
    Floral Fury

Last edited:

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Hmm. I've been holding off on this one for awhile. 2017 was a very damn good year in the music department.

1. Nier Automata - It's a feat to create fantastic music, but it's another to create a soundtrack that enhances the product in almost every way. Nier Automata does that and I would argue that if Automata had a soundtrack of any less quality the product itself would not be nearly as well received. The OST enhances the experience in every way. Nostalgia? Check. 8 Bit? Check. Drama? Check. Okabe and studio should be very proud of themselves. They not only matches the quality of the EXCELLENT original, but at times manage to top it.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - It was a real debate between Nier and Xenoblade on what would ultimately take the crown. I went with Nier ultimately, but that does not take away from how amazing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is in the music department. So many solid tracks that are hum worthy time after time. It's amazing that ACE managed to top the original OST (in my opinion of course!)

3. Ys VIII - When I played Ys earlier this year, I actually thought the OST was a step down. Why? I'm not sure. It's actually excellent, but Ys as a series is known for AMAZING music. Time has passed and I constantly find myself coming back to it over and over. It's a really addictive OST and i'm not sure why I didn't respect it as much when playing as I do now.

4. Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood

5. Gravity Rush 2

6. Super Mario Odyssey

(Sorry fellas, running low on time. I don't have time to add tracks!)

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
1. NieR: Automata. Become as gods. Best and most varied soundtrack I've heard in years.

2. Divinity Original Sin 2 - Just the Rivellon Theme on repeat would have been enough for me and yet there's so much more.

3. Super Mario Odyssey - Happy face.

4. Horizon Zero Dawn - Very fitting with the tribal vibes, chills-inducing.

5. Cuphead -
Perfect fit for the game and so well-executed

6. Splatoon 2 -
So weird ... and yet so good

7. Destiny 2 -
The first track that starts when you start the game is chills 9 times out of ten (and many others are gorgeous), even though the game is not.

Last edited:

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I encourage you to read through some of the other submissions on this thread, there have been plenty of nominations for really well done Western OSTs, albeit many from smaller games that may not have gotten the attention they deserve.
I mean, technically speaking their number 7 choice itself isn't even a Japanese developed game per se, nor it's soundtrack by a Japanese composer.

Oct 25, 2017
Do I have to post 10 or are 8 okay?

1. NieR: Automata

2. Pyre
3. Cuphead
4. Gravity Rush 2
5. Super Mario Odyssey
6. Sonic Mania
7. Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood
  • Susano Theme
  • Doma Castle
  • Shinryu
8. Breath of the Wild

I'm pretty sure I've forgot half of my favorite tracks.

ShiftaDeband

Nov 15, 2017
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
A soundtrack very rarely gives me extreme goosebumps. One of the last ones to really do this was probably Mass Effect or Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild gave me goosebumps almost every time a new track played. It was so interesting to see the music in this game blossom the way it did. My last area was Rito Village - for some reason I didn't explore the area for so long, probably because I really didn't know what the machine was floating above. I think I initially thought it would instantly kill Link, so I waited for awhile to go there until the end.

I can't put this moment into words that will give it justice, but the buildup to the song was so beautiful, I really just thought it was going to be a very lowkey song in the game. As soon as the music from Dragon Roost Island started playing, my eyes welled up, I got the biggest chill I think a video game has ever given me, and just basked in the moment for awhile before playing the game some more. It was so intense and so simple. I love this game, and the music definitely helped make it the masterpiece it is.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - notable tracks: Kingdom of Tantal (Day); Counterattack; Boss Battle II; Elysium, in the Blue Sky
  2. Nier: Automata - notable tracks: Rays of Light (Dynamic); Glory to Mankind (Dynamic); Sound of the End (Dynamic)
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - notable tracks: Rito Village (Day); Hyrule Castle; [Final Boss] Phase 2

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Only linking notable tracks of my top 3:

1. NieR: Automata
Keiichi Okabe
-
Bipolar Nightmare (my second favorite track of all 2017)
-
Beautiful Song
- Possessed by Disease
- Birth of a Wish
- Pascal
Seriously this score wasn't composed by a human being, it's inhuman how good it is

2. Gravity Rush 2
Kohei Tanaka
- Yin & Yang (my favorite track of all 2017)
- Mining for Ore
- A Red Apple Fell From the Sky (an invented language has never sounded this cute)
Most underrated and overlooked soundtrack of the year, glad Easy Allies gave it a nod

3. Persona 5
Shoji Meguro
- Last Surprise - my favorite battle theme ever!
- Life Will Change - this gets me pumped anywhere, anytime
-

4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Yasunori Mitsuda

5. Sonic Mania
Tee Lopes

6. Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood
Masayoshi Soken

7. Cuphead
Kris Maddigan

8. Hollow Knight
Christopher Larkin

9. Pyre
Darren Korb

10. Mario + Rabbids
Grant Kirkhope

I am impressed by the amount of nominations Zelda is getting, it was probably the least memorable score of any Zelda game yet, by far. Although I did love the theme song and the trailer track. Also, haven't played some of the games like Dragon Quest XI which I am sure I would nominate otherwise. Anyways, thanks for doing this, as a game score/movie score fan, these threads are great.

Oct 30, 2017
Cleveland,Ohio
1. Persona 5
Shoji Meguro
Last Surprise
Life Will Change
Rivers In the Desert

2.The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Manaka Kataoka, Yasuaki Iwata, Hajime Wakai
Divine Beast Vah Ruta
Hyrule Castle
Daruk

3. Super Mario Odyssey
Naoto Kubo, Shiho Fujii, Koji Kondo
Jump Up, Super Star
Steam Gardens
Honeylune Ridge: Caves

4.Horizon Zero Dawn
Joris de Man, The Flight, Niels van der Leest
Homecoming
The Bad News
Colossal

5.Cuphead
Kris Maddigan
Die House
Threatenin' Zeppelin
Floral Fury

6.Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Henry Jackman
The Insurgency
Partners
End of the Line

Dr.Thunder

Oct 29, 2017
  1. Xenoblade 2
  2. Nier Automata
  3. Persona 5
  4. Gravity Rush 2
  5. Ys VIII
  6. Sonic Mania
  7. Mario Odyssey
  8. Horizon Zero Dawn
  9. Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  10. Splatoon 2
Honorable mention to Voez. I played the switch version and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
1. Nier Automata
2. Splatoon 2
3. The Flame and the Flood
4. Voez
5. Divinity: Original Sin 2

I borrowed Automata a few days ago from a friend 'cause I thought I might not like it.
Played straight up for days to the final ending and did the thing and felt so happy and fulfilled and bursting with all kinds of other feelings. What a game, and what a soundtrack.

Yesterday I ordered the Vinyl Soundtrack Box set and an actual record player without even actually owning the damn game ;_;

Ilmyr

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
1. Nier: Automata

This soundtrack is my new favorite. Best game music i've heard in years. It is unbelievably good and fits so perfect to the game.
2. Cuphead
Kris Maddigan
3. Yakuza 0
Hidenori Shoji, ZENTA, Kensuke Inage, Yoshiji Kobayashi, Karasuya-sabou, Saori Yoshida, POPHOLIC, Hyd Lunch, Sachio Ogawa
4. Yooka-Laylee
Grant Kirkhope, David Wise, Steve Burke

Jan 7, 2018
1. NieR: Automata - What a soundtrack, really. It fits the game's atmosphere perfectly, and is just great music in general
Possessed by a Disease
Birth of a Wish (This Cannot Continue)
Wretched Weaponry
I could honestly link the entire soundtrack here, because it's that good.

2. Persona 5 - Great, catchy songs that are just fun to listen to.
Rivers in the Desert
Swear to My Bones
Life Will Change

3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Boss Theme 2
Gormott Theme
Torigoth Theme

4. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Lord of a Dead Empire

5. Fire Emblem Warriors - Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates have plenty of flaws, but their soundtracks are definitely not among them. This game remixed some of their songs masterfully, and also added a few others from the rest of the series in a great way. I haven't played it (nor intend to, since I don't like musous), but I've listened to its remixes and it definitely deserves a place in my list. TBH the only reason i'm not putting it as number 3 is because those songs are only remixes rather than new ones.
Alight
Road Taken
Wind Across the Plains

Last edited:

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
1. Nier: Automata - Beautiful and alien. It's unlike any other video game soundtrack I've ever heard.

Weight of the world

2. Persona 5 - Incredibly upbeat. Adds a great sense of flow to the whatever you are doing in the game.

Rivers in the desert

3. Prey - The soundtrack does wonders to add atmosphere to the game. There also exists a few tracks for exciting moments.

Semi sacred geometry

4. Pyre - Korb does it again. He always manages to capture a sense of melancholy in his music.

Will of the scribes

Last edited:

cenor

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
  1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - The soundtrack is not out yet, but from what I heard in the game, it has the best game soundtrack since the first Nier. All titles below are unofficial.
  2. Nier Automata - For most of the year, I thought this couldn't be topped, but Xenoblade 2 did it. Still, nearly half of my enjoyment from this game is because of the soundtrack alone.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
It's wonderful to see this tradition carried over to ERA! I always get so many great soundtrack/game recs from these threads. Thank you to Grexeno and EarthPainting!

1. Night in the Woods - I'm struggling to think of a game I've played in recent memory that juggles so many different genres of music, whilst still being incredible cohesive. It's such a fine line to walk, and NITW does so brilliantly. You've got calming and charming town music, catchy television and vending machine jingles, mellow store music, heavy metal, rock, catchy jazz, thumping techno, gentle nighttime ambiance, unnerving horror cues and dreamscapes... Alec Holowka's NITW score does everything, and does so masterfully, subtly reusing motifs throughout. The soundtrack beautifully compliments the game's art direction (much like Oxenfree), and the two feel irrevocably intertwined.

Town Music:
Back to the Holler
Mae's House
Possum Springs
Dusk Stars
The Long Fall
Church Hill
Rainy Day

Jazz/Orchestral:
Astral Coal Town
Astral Alley
The Husker Bee Ballroom

Quirky:
Shoplifting
Pierogi Toss
Robot Builder
Tick Tock

Pop/Techno/Rock:
Die Anywhere Else
Cycles II
Thryy Wyrd Tyyns
Pumpkin Head Guy
Space Dragon

2. Nier: Automata - The soundtrack of the original Nier is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time, so Automata had a lot to live up to - and did so wonderfully. Automata is more eclectic than the original Nier (which also used Emi Evans more prominently throughout as a vocalist), but Automata's soundtrack beautifully compliments and encapsulates Automata's differences from the original game, in both themes and level design. (Sliding down sand dunes whilst 'Memories of Dust' plays... goddamn.) Automata has some wonderful musical call backs to the original game, whilst bringing some new and incredibly memorable tracks to the table. Absolutely beautiful. If Square could kindly release the lyrics for the songs in Automata and the original Nier, I'd be endlessly obliged. It's cruel to get earwoms stuck in your head that are in made-up/hybrid languages!

Bipolar Nightmare (Vocals)
Birth of a Wish
Dark Colossus (Dynamic - Vocals)
Sound of the End (Dynamic - Vocals)
Emil (Despair - Vocals)
Song of the Ancients - Atonement (Vocals)
Pascal
City Ruins (Dynamic - Vocals)
Memories of Dust (Dynamic - Vocals)
Mourning
Wretched Weaponry (Dynamic - Vocals)
Emil's Song

3. Gravity Rush 2 - The best thing a game's soundtrack can do for me is to compliment visuals and gameplay, and GR's soundtrack does so perfectly - whether it's gently flying through the sky, the tension of battle, the high-pace exhilarating challenges, or the methodical action of mining. GR2's soundtrack is charming, catchy, and euphoric, and experiments with different genres, including a more operatic style. The returning themes from the original game are beautifully represented, too. The feeling of flying through the air with Kat wouldn't be as memorable without Kohei Tanaka's score.

Banga Ambient II
Storm and Triumph
Fire-Bound Lions
Lei Elgona
Lei Havina
Mining for Ore w/ Raven
Angel
Threshold of a Dream

4. Cuphead - You can tell how far I've gotten into Cuphead by the songs I've recommended! What can I say? It's perfection. Charming, earwormy, and perfectly invokes the time period it's homaging. Even the tutorial music is amazing.

Don't Deal with the Devil
Tutorial
Elder Kettle
Inkwell Isle One
Botanic Panic
Die House
Ruse of Ooze
Floral Fury
Forest Follies

5. Persona 5 - In RPGs (especially long ones!) it can be easy for music to get repetitive or irritating. Persona 5's soundtrack sidesteps this issue effortlessly, bringing calming ambiance, catchy battle themes, and a predominant jazz influence throughout. P5's soundtrack is relaxing and invigorating all at once.

Life Will Change
Beneath the Mask (Instrumental version)
Last Surprise

6. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - Hellblade's soundtrack is much like Senua's journey itself. It's cathartic, powerful, haunting, and often deeply unnerving. 'Just Like Sleep' will stay with me for a long time.

Just Like Sleep - Passarella Death Squad
Gramr
Illusion - Vnv Nation

Last edited:

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
1. Persona 5
Shoji Meguro
Last Surprise
Layer Cake
The Whims of Fate
Beneath the Mask
Phantom

Weight of the World - Yorha
City Ruins (Dynamic - Vocals)
Amusement Park
Pascal
Possessed by a Disease

3. Pyre
Darren Korb
Never To Return
Bound Together
Dirty Deal
Thrash Pack
The Blackwagon

4. Rakuen - I can't believe I'm the only one who has mentioned this beautiful game and its beautiful soundtrack. EDIT: I am an idiot. Shout outs to DNABro for the mention!
Laura Shigihara
Kami Kabuto Hero
Welcome to the Forest
The Keepers
Build a Little World With Me
Mori no Kokoro

5. The Sexy Brutale
Matt Bonham, Tim Cotterell, Tom Puttick, Phil French
Main Theme
Shattered Hope
A Clockwork Killing

6. Cuphead