• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
For anyone looking to do some last-minute listening, here's a playlist I put together of 2018 releases available on Spotify:

2018 Video Game Soundtracks

Obviously won't have everything (e.g. Japanese releases typically aren't available), but there are 80+ albums there, so there's a lot to listen to.

(Note that the playlist only includes the first track from each game; click through to the individual album page to listen to the rest.)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
5. Timespinner – I don't know this super well yet, but it's pretty strong from what I've listened to thus far. SotN-era Castlevania comes to mind at times (I believe the CV games were a big inspiration for the team and the composer, Jeff Ball). Would like to check the game out at some point.

Highlights: Barren Corridors, Echoes of the Forgotten, Pioneer's Horizon, Surpassing Authority
Those are Castlevania as fvck, lol. This composer shamelessly apes Michiru Yamane like no other. But pretty decent! Thanks for posting them.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
  1. Tetris Effect - because it can't not be this. The music, even the boring ones, make everything shine. No music, no Tetris Effect.
  2. Detroit: Become Human - epic soundtrack that draws you into the scene (I recommend that everybody watch the extra video about the soundtrack inside the game, probably available on YouTube as well)
  3. God of War - my heart went 200bpm when that song from the E3 reveal started. Amazing

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1. CrossCode - Surprise of the year for me, both in terms of being an excellent game period, but also the soundtrack just being an absolute feast for the ears. The tracks sound like they could be straight out of an SNES or PS1 era RPG, but they still are completely original. I think what stands out the most to me is just how different the vibes of the various tracks are, and the composer still manages to make all of these vibes work perfectly.
Selection of tracks: Temple of the Lake; Sapphire Ridge; Vermillion Wasteland

2. The Messenger - Another surprisingly awesome game with a really great soundtrack, this game has absolutely amazing compositions that sound good in both 8- and 16-Bit styled fashion and get the blood pumping.
Selection of tracks (going to just run with the 16-Bit versions here, but the 8-Bit ones are great too!): The Queendom of the Quills; Beneath the Surface; Corrupted Future

3. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - I was not expecting to love this game as much as I ended up doing, and the soundtrack is part of it. Brilliantly composed 8-Bit tracks with the classic NES Castlevania vibe, and yet they still have the Michiru Yamane flavour to them. She's still easily my favourite Japanese composer, hands down.
Selection of tracks: The Brilliant Void; Frigid Hell; Fallen Moon's Requiem

4. Celeste - I mean, do I need to say anything? Calming yet encouraging, catchy and yet it still manages to be touching. Absolutely brilliant.
Selection of tracks: First Steps; Checking In; In the Mirror

5. Frostpunk - The atmosphere and hopelessness in this soundtrack is just so, so overwhelmingly good. There's really not much else I can say, just let the music speak for itself.
Selection of tracks: Streets of New London; The Last Flame; Into the Storm

6. Timespinner - This game's soundtrack wears its inspiration on its sleeve. You can hear the Symphony of the Night vibe out immediately! Which is good cause that game has great music, and so does this.
Selection of tracks: Barren Corridors; Ancient Forest; Masquerade of Hedonists

7. Kirby Star Allies - A healthy combination of great new tracks and amazing remixes of old. Kirby music is great, so of course this will have to go onto my list!
Selection of tracks: Here Come the Squeaks; Nature's Navel; Planet Earthfall

8. Into the Breach - This soundtrack has a very good combination of nonintrusive ambience with great use of synth and guitar riffs. Baller!
Selection of tracks: A.C.I.D.; Rusting Hulks; Pinnacle Robotics

9. Subnautica - Man I just love the ambience tracks of this game. That's all there really is to it. The only shame is that they scrapped the old Jelly Shroom Cave track, and I can't even find a clip of it (there used to be one). :(
Selection of tracks: Finding Life; Precipice; Alterra Science

10. Fox N Forests - The soundtrack may be short, but what it offers is absolutely sweet. Wonderful retro music that could be straight out of the SNES' library of classic soundtracks.
Selection of tracks: Revolving River; Gorgeous Gorge; Intro

Also, I feel like using Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is cheating due to the sheer size of the soundtrack and the majority of it being from older games, and even though some of the new remixes are also excellent, I'm going to leave it out. However, I think having it as honourable mention is fair.

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
1. Celeste
Confronting Myself
Celestial Resort (Good Karma Mix)
Quiet and Falling

I love everything about the soundtrack. The way it and the level design interact almost make it feel its a responsive soundtrack but it is not. Rather the aesthetic so intertwined that it all comes together so well that it feels like it. And the way that they take this and turn the tracks on their head for the B remixes and the differences in the levels. The best Soundtrack this year.

2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
VS. Ridley
Gear up For...
Ring! Dong! Dang!

Super Smash almost feels like it is cheating but it is so good!

3. Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion
Above
Crush
Shark Bytes

Splatoon remains unique in just how striking its compositions are. Nothing else in the industry feels like this. I hope that Splatoon will carry forward this penchant. Especially given the variety demonstrated in this expansion especially just how coherent with each other in order to differentiate it from the main game.

4. Xenoblade 2: Torna the Golden Country
Battle Theme
Gormott
Auresco

Jazz! This variety is something which I think the base game needed more. In a series filled with good battle themes this was somehow able to stand out as a unique direction. I hope this a reflection of the future of the series.

5. Lethal League Blaze
Ain't Nothing Like a Funky Beat
Decible
Nasty Lover

If Xenoblade 2 is Jazz then this is Funk! And if there is anything Videogames need more of funk is it.

6. Vermintide 2
Norsca Attack
Nurgle
Last Stand

Jasper Kyd gets the Warhammer aesthetic and his music vibes with it perfectly. That grimdark is exactly why I'm here.

7. Octopath Traveler
Decisive Battle 1
The Sunlands
Battle at Journeys End

As a person who started out with handheld RPGs this felt like a love letter to those types of games. Please Square Enix give me more!

8. Tetris Effect
Jeweled View Temptation
Stratospehere

I just really like Stratosphere.

9. Deltarune
The World Revolving
Rude Buster

Toby Fox has done it again. This really does feel like something that has come out of the past and gone through a modern update.

10. Timespinner
Pioneers Horizon
Barren Coridors

While this wasn't my favorite metroidvania this year this had probably the best soundtracks of them.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
As a last minute arguement for Splat 2 Octo expansion, I humbly submit this holographic concert just held in Japan

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
6. Sushi Striker: The Way Of Sushido - Lots of great music in this quirky but not so little game that completely flew under everyone's radar.
Volcano
Vs Rio
Battle Won

7. Detective Pikachu - Great music that really gives an extra boost to the different scenes. Lots of catchy tracks for such a relatively short game.
Catch The Gengar!
Secret Path
Rhyme Wharf Warehouse

The vote is almost over, but I'd like to give one extra shout-out to Sushi Striker. ghibli99 linked to the Super Adventure Island soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro yesterday, and I thought it had the same kind of feel as this Sushi Striker track.

Really, lots of really good music in this game, so play or at least listen to Sushi Striker peeps.

Also wanna highlight one more track from Detective Pikachu.

Lots of people have been hyped about Fine Park and with good reason. Incredible mood.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
1. Octopath Traveler
2. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
3. God of War
4. Celeste
5. Ni No Kuni 2
6. Xenoblade 2: Torna the Golden Country
7. Valkyria Chronicles 4
8. Below
9. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Whew, this is always a tough yearly list to do because going through each soundtrack, even ones I've listened to multiple times before, is such a time sink. Sorry, no write ups though. I know what music I like but if you ask me why, I really can't put it into words.

1. God of War
- God of War
- The Dragon
- Deliverance

2. Astro Bot Rescue Mission
- Tite Mites (Crystal Cave)
- A Fire In Your Mind
- I am ASTRO BOT

3. Tetris Effect
- World of Colors
- Connected (Yours Forever)
- New Beginnings

4. Minit
- Minit's Awakening
- Sword Factory
- Sharp Business

5. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
- KAMURO again
-
- Through

6. Marvel's Spider-Man
- Spider-Man
- All the King's Men
- Destroying Your Own Creation

And finally:

Worst Soundtrack of the Year:
Dragon Quest XI

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
1. Celeste
What else needs to be said, simply one of the best OSTs I've heard in a game in years. Usually when I love a game soundtrack, there'll just be a few standout tracks that I enjoy, but with Celeste, 95% of the soundtrack (and the remixes) are sublime. What's more, Celeste as a game, as an experience is elevated to a must-play due to its soundtrack.

Resurrections
Madeline and Theo
To the Summit

2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
A fantastic collection of some of gaming's most iconic and memorable pieces of music. Rather than include links to the wonderful remixes in this game, I'd like to share my favourites of the original compositions.

Vs Galeem
Battlefield

That's it for me for 2018 games with soundtracks I enjoyed.

Honourable mention goes to Hollow Knight which is sadly ineligible since it released in 2017 on PC. Thankfully it's soundtrack has not been overlooked.

City of Tears
Greenpath
Resting Grounds

Thanks to the OP and helpers who put this thread together.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
1. 11:11 Memories Retold - Beautiful score that ties the entire game together brilliantly.

2. God of War - I was a bit dubious at the first showing for the game with the live orchestra at E3, but the final result is just as incredibly epic as the game demands it be.

3. Below - The ambiance of the game is top notch. Instantly bought the CD once I heard the opening theme in-game.

4. The Banner Saga 3 - Another fantastic job by Austin Wintory. Ends the trilogy with his best work for the series.

5. SOULCALIBUR VI - Even in heated battles with local friends it's easy to get caught up in the music of SC6. Wonderful tracks to win and lose to.

6. Ashen - Having this soundtrack eb and flow during play made exploring the areas of Ashen have a lot more appeal to me than the silence of the Souls games. Damn shame this isn't available for a standalone release yet.

7. Mutant Year Zero - I love synth and Road to Eden has really, really, really good synth.

8. Smash Brothers Ultimate - Insane amount of music that I'm looking forward to hearing more of when I get more time with the game.

9. Spider-man - Loved the evolution of the main theme used throughout the game.

10. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon -To get all the achievements for this wonderful game I had to replay it a good amount of times, and the music never stopped being catchy and fun to slay demons to.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping to do some research on games I've missed in the time I had between noticing the thread and now...

That didn't happen, haha.
So I'll just start with stuff I have played, we'll see if I can fill out the whole list with that. The start of my list is pretty easy at least.

1: Octopath Traveler
Yeah, this game takes first place for me, no question. I haven't finished the game yet, so I haven't even heard the whole thing, but from the very start its soundtrack impressed and it never lets up. It's filled with plenty of variety as is needed for an RPG of this style. Every character has their own leitmotifs which the game during the transition to boss fights, creatively blends together with the boss battle theme, it's a small touch but it never gets old.
Battle II
The Cliftlands
Decisive Battle II

2: Tetris Effect
I didn't think I'd be buying another Tetris game last year, but the experience it creates by mixing its music and sound effects with the gameplay of Tetris was impossible to pass up.
Honestly, I'm not even sure where to start with samples to link. The way the music mixes with the gameplay will make any youtube link miss out on what makes it so special.

3: Deltarune
Out of completely nowhere, Toby Fox released a little game with some kind of connection to Undertale. While the game might only be a taste of what's to come, this soundtrack is already strong enough to stand on its own.
Field of Hopes and Dreams
The World Revolving

4: Celest
I didn't know about this game until I saw it by chance on Summer Games Done Quick. I didn't pick it up until recently, but the soundtrack stood out strongly enough to make me want to try it out.
Checking In
Reach for the Summit

5: Dragon Ball FighterZ
The game I spent the most time playing last year. Arc System Works brought the energy a Dragon Ball game needs with this soundtrack. I don't think it's quite on the level of their main games, but it's some of the best music to be in DB.
Yamcha's Theme
Android 17's Theme

6: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
It's hard to argue against such a massive soundtrack, though much of it is reused from past games, there's plenty of great new arranges to be found here.
We Are The Robots
Divine Bloodlines

7: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
I don't really have a lot to say, Monster Hunter soundtracks are solid.
Valstrax Theme
Astalos Theme

8: Monster Hunter World
Same as above, but not as large of a soundtrack.
Astera Day Theme
Teostra Theme

9: MegaMan 11 Instrumental Arrangements
Not gonna lie, first impressions of MM11's soundtrack was pretty disappointing. It's not bad, but certainly not on the level of the stronger MegaMan soundtracks.
And then after finishing the game, I listened to the instrumental arrange tracks that were preorder DLC and I found out what disappointed me with the base tracks was the instrumentation, not the composition. The Instrumental arrange tracks give those compositions life that they needed.
I probably would have put this game up higher if these instrumental tracks were part of the base game, and not preorder only(as of right now) DLC.
Fuse Man Instrumental
Tundra Man Instrumental

Not a full list of ten, but this is what I have. Not sure if I'll look at what I missed out on to add in one more, but probably not with how much time is left. I know there's some good stuff I haven't heard much of though, hopefully next year I'll be better organized for this.

kierwynn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play a whole lot in 2018 because it was a rough year for me, and a lot of what I did play didn't stand out a whole lot music wise, so I have a very short list this year. So much so, I almost didn't vote (hello last day), but figured I should since ost is usually one of the votes I'm most excited for!

1. Octopath Traveler- The only game this year that has found its way onto my iphone (so far!) Not only are the tracks good, but the way the game uses them and segues from one track to the next is amazing. My husband could not stop gushing about the transitions in Olberic's path in particular! Also in looking for some of the boss themes that have the character themes leading into them. I just realized all the character themes like that are "For <something>" (Redemption for Olberic, Truth for Cyrus, etc) which I think is super cool.

For Redemption + Decisive Battle II (Example of Olberic's segue into my favorite boss theme)
For Succor + Battle at Journey's End (Alfyn's theme into chapter 4 boss)
Cyrus, the Scholar

2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country- Admittedly, I haven't finished Torna, which is unfortunate because I absolutely loved Xenoblade 2, but I will get through it when I get the chance. During my short time with it, however, I've already found several track I really love, including the main battle theme which I totally wasn't feeling when I first heard it. It's grown on me, though!

Battle Theme

I thought I had more than 2 but guess not!

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
1) Red Dead Redemption 2

- American Venom
- On The Run (Sodom? Back to Gomorrah)

2) Celeste

- Resurrections
- Reach for the Summit

3) Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

- Boss Battle
- Beach

4) Gris

- Main Theme
- Unagi

5) God of War

- Overture
- The Summit

6) Tetris Effect

- Yours Forever
- Metamorphosis

7) Donut County

- Breaking Ground
- Garbage Day

8) Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

- Menu theme
- Stage 1

9) Astro Bot Rescue Mission

- I am Astro Bot
- Tite Mines

10) Minit

- Minit's Awakening
- Sabasaba Desert

Axelstream

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't love 2018 -- it was always going to be rough trying to follow up a year as good as 2017 -- but there was still a lot of cool music, some of which I'm still discovering, thanks to you guys (example: this song from Monster Boy is super sick). My thanks for keeping the SOTY tradition alive.

#5: CELESTE

Celeste is skilled at conveying primordial feelings – panic, frailty, vulnerability, tranquility, wonder, flight. I believe that this is in great part because the game and its soundtrack are so in sync. Chiptune melodies chime over a synth canvas that hums and undulates and sucks in and out like the cold winds of the mountain. It's a perfect companion to the game, where tiny pixel characters leap and stumble through a gorgeous, frigid world of color, ambiance, and splashes of warmth.

My favorite song is "In the Mirror," which disorients with Blade Runner-synths before settling into a blissful cavern of static, whispers, and far-off melody. It's a perfect reflection of the level where it plays – a journey into the dark, into the mind. "Reach for the Summit," which plays during the game's final climb, conveys the emotional swivel of a mountain climb by pivoting between notes of determination, peril, and exaltation.

Celeste follows the modern trend of a soundtrack that layers and changes as you move throughout a level. Yet throughout, it never fails to hit that rare sweet spot between melody and atmosphere. Its melodies engage; its atmosphere immerses. It As a standalone listen, this can make tracks feel a tad repetitive as they slowly climb towards emotional crescendos and descend into moments of respite. Close your eyes and listen, however, and soon you'll see drifting pixel snowflakes and the glow of a lantern.

#4: DELTARUNE

For me, Deltarune is confirmation that Undertale was not a fluke. Or maybe it isn't. Undertale's soundtrack is so sprawling, so crammed full of theming and leitmotif references that it could not have been a mistake.

One of the great joys in this soundtrack is that while it certainly draws parallels to several of Undertale's musical moments, Toby Fox is such an eclectic composer that the similarities never weigh the music down. With some sort of secret sauce, the man creates earworm after earworm, some of which last for under thirty seconds but don't lose their luster on loop. "Susie" spends thirty seconds letting rock guitar notes hang in the air and still communicates the cool and menace of the character. The elegiac "Empty Town" sounds like a lost Gameboy gem. I love all thirty-seven seconds of the lounge-y "Hip Shop," which bobs up and down with a corny "hey baby" sensibility. It kind of drives me nuts that Toby releases his songs in single loop format, because dude, I don't want to listen to "Hip Shop" for thirty seconds, I want to listen to it for thirty minutes.

The battle themes are fantastic all around. "Rude Buster" is, as the kids say, hot fire. I love that the low piano and the bass are both doing some bass-slapping. I love the twang of the synth melody and the sick improv part. I'd put this in the running for one of my favorite normal battle themes ever. I really like "Vs. Lancer," which captures the frenetic, mischievous spirit of the little tricycle-riding gumdrop. I like "Vs. Susie" even more. It's a pretty simple song that jams out on the "Susie" melody while also conveying a lurking sadness in a section with descending keys and murmuring string-and-bass undercurrent. The final boss theme, "Chaos King," plays suitably like a dark reflection of Lancer's theme, profiling a cartoonish character twisted into a sadistic ghoul.

Lastly, I must mention the painfully brief credits song "Don't Forget," sung in a whisper by YouTube singer (and To the Moon's) Laura Shigihara, which suddenly brought tears to my eyes with a brief and powerful sentiment: "Don't forget – I'm with you in the dark." Don't forget indeed, Toby. I'll be waiting.

#3: CYTUS II

Cytus II is probably the only thing that amounts to a surprise in this list. For the uninitiated, it's a mobile rhythm game.

2018 was the first time I really deep-dove into a rhythm game. I've played them before and enjoyed them. They're generally rather genre-driven, and the large collection of artists collaborating can make them pretty hit-or-miss as soundtracks overall. Cytus II isn't necessarily different in this regard. It's the story (the story!) of musicians living in a futuristic city who are invited to perform at a concert by the legendary and mysterious DJ AEsir – and who end up having their memories of the concert wiped. Each character represents something close to a "genre" of music, and as you level up and play through the game, the story is told through something akin to a twitter feed (as fictitious fans of each musician hilariously reenact Internet stupidity), as well as "recorded" conversations, images, and video.

Cytus II communicated to me the appeal of this new generation of rhythm games, many of which are on mobile platforms. In Cytus II, new songs are added continuously, but the developers tap into the same pool of composers, sometimes bringing new folks into the mix. As a result, you get to know the composers, and you get excited about hearing your favorites return. Sometimes they tap into a new "genre"; sometimes they collaborate. Some of the songs are supposed to be composed by the characters in the story, which gives them an extra layer of meaning.

This game has a lot of electronic music, which is hard for me to talk about because I'm pretty ignorant about it and its notoriously numerous subgenres. Still, I'll give it my best shake.

My favorite music is that from character PAFF, who in the story is a painfully shy girl on the cusp of an explosive career as a pop diva. "Bullet Waiting for Me" and "Fireflies" are some of my favorites. Composed by James Landino, these are melodic mood-boosters with crunchy percussion and pop performances from vocalist Nikki Simmons. The ethereal Bring the Light catches me in its strange and peaceful trance. "漂流", which translates to "Drifting," is a pop ballad sung in Japanese, with an escalation of cold, glitching electronic touches. "Perspectives" is a standout, with swallowing dubstep synths, a sprinkling of piano, and a clear and bright vocal performance. I dig the lyrics, which broadly paint a clash between two personas: "Let's say we change the game and we can brave the days like all others do / Let's say we stay the same, delay, decay away and I never knew / It's up to you". Also: "Neon Escape" is an 80s synth tune with Chinese lyrics! How cool is that!

There's a lot of music in Cytus II that I don't really care for – mostly the sugary, blisteringly-paced music and the hard-driving trap music that I associate with Japanese arcade rhythm games, neither of which are quite to my tastes. Every once in a while, though, I find something in these genres that's totally on my wavelength, like "I can avoid it.", composed in canon by the hyperactive, crass gamergurl streamer NEKO #ΦωΦ (her full handle Internet handle), or "Starlight (KIVA Remix)", and "Atonement" . This is the kind of stuff your dad thinks is millenial garbage, but boy is it my millennial garbage.

Another one of my favorite composers is KIVA. I don't know anything about dubstep really, but one of my complaints with the genre is how formulaic "bad" dubstep can feel, checking off boxes on the way to *deep breath* The Drop. It's clear when KIVA is doing the same, but well-placed swells and touches of mechanical whirrs and murmurs and croaks and drones fill KIVA's songs with kinetic force. They're also fantastic songs to play, filled with fun touches to trace your finger over. The aforementioned "漂流," "Perspectives" and "Starlight" are all examples of this. I think one of KIVA's best is "Chaos," the song composed in canon by DJ AEsir that wipes everyone's memory.

The character Cherry, the young lead of a now-defunct band, brings some music of the more singer-songwriter variety. I'm in love with "Living for you," filled with syncopating drum kit, the squeak of fingers sliding down a guitar neck, and the slightly husky voice of vocalist Kat Penkin. "I'M NOT" is a bluesy rock song sung in Mandarin -- again, very cool. I also really like "hunted," an interestingly off-kilter rock song that sounds perpetually on the cusp of a breakdown.

Cytus II even has time for jazz, and I always have time for jazz. Clearly everything happening in the excellently-named "Turnstile Jumper" is happening on someone's electronic keyboard, but I dig the varied instrumentation choices in this frenetic approximation of jazz. It's a treat to hear a live alto saxophone and trumpet, both dry-martini, in "Juicy Gossip". And under the PAFF label comes the recently-released "Winter Games," with a deliciously slight acid-jazz style and the coo of vocalist Tiger Darrow. "Dreams of nutmeg filling my head / make my memory so sweet …"

This is just becoming me rattling off a list of songs, so I'll stop there. I apologize that I couldn't really think of a better way to construct the writeup for this game, where the individual tracks are the content, not just a complement. What I really want to convey is that Cytus II really opened a musical door for me, and I'm thankful for it. It has been a pleasure to follow these composers, both real and fictitious, as they create new music for me to enjoy (and, because this is a rhythm game, to master).

#2: XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2: TORNA – THE GOLDEN COUNTRY

A funny thing happened after last year. For 2017's Soundtrack of the Year, I had ranked Persona 5 as my #1, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as my #2, and Nier: Automata as my #3. Then the tectonic plates shifted, Persona 5 lost some of its luster in the shuffle and dropped to #3 in my estimation, while Nier: Automata finally "clicked" with me and its powerful compositions pushed it up to #2. And my affection for the complete, emotional, satisfying journey that is Xenoblade Chronicles 2 propelled it to #1.

If I'm really being honest with myself, there are two tracks in this eleven-track collection that utterly dazzled me, pulling the whole thing up: "Battle!!/Torna" and "Four-limbed Titan/Gormott". These songs are better than even most of the base Xenoblade 2 soundtrack. If I could take only take three video game songs from 2018 with me to a desert island, these would be on the list, maybe along with Deltarune's "Rude Buster".

"Battle!!" is magic to my jazz-loving ears, a rollicking caravan of only the finest ingredients – vibrant, rushing strings; slick, buoyant upright bass played by some kind of demigod; crackling drums with cymbals that splash over the whole thing; the most delicious synchronized hits. "Four-limbed Titan" is like the flipside to this coin, a more sprawling and open-sounding song thanks to a focus on string melody that throws a glistening soprano saxophone into the mix. The drums are fantastically crisp and drive the tempo; the sax sings and does these runs that make me nod involuntarily and go "yeah, man" like I'm sitting in a jazz club with some gin in my hand.

The rest of this soundtrack is no slouch, by the way. "Kingdom of Torna," with its meandering piano and waves of string, wistfully unfurls into a diorama of an untamed kingdom. The soprano saxophone drifts in and out like a golden wind. "Auresco, Royal Capital" deftly avoids any kitsch from its Japanese stylings and places the soulful violin melody front and center. It's a town theme you can cozy up to, and its pensive atmosphere gives it depth on repeated listens.

I really like "Over Despair and Animus," which I'd basically call the final boss theme. It's an acoustic take on Xenoblade Chronicles 2's "The Acting God" (spoilers in the title!), a song I thought was a bit too heavy-footed to be all that interesting. "Over Despair and Animus" is by far superior. The textured percussion, woodwind, guitar, and strings blend to create a rare kind of intimacy not usually see in boss themes. As a song in a prequel, I also like the parallel that this song draws to its use in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I won't say much more than that. "Our Paths May Never Cross Again" is likewise an acoustic take on Xenoblade Chronicles 2's "The Power of Jin." It's a suitably eerie rendition, especially as piano runs and chords ghost delicately overhead.

Much like with Xenoblade Chronicles 2's "Where We Used To Be," I find that this game's piano theme, "The Beginning of Our Memory," has that je ne sais quoi that only someone of Yasunori Mitsuda's caliber can provide. In the key of C, the song takes on poignant kind of sincerity through key changes that wander, constantly on the cusp of resolving – fitting. The vocal theme, "A Moment of Eternity," is a welcome return for singer Jen Bird who, as she did in "One Last You," lends the song the unforced sweetness it needs to make its simple lyrics work: "Promise me that you'll walk again / Won't you show me that smile?" It's a song that captures Torna's central relationship with simple clarity.

Torna's acoustic take ultimately gives Xenoblade Chronicles 2 an extra dimension – one of sophistication, intimacy, and mastery. The music is impressively layered and confidently executed, perhaps to an even higher degree than before. It is a perfect dessert to cap off Xenoblade Chronicles 2's sumptuous meal.

#1: OCTOPATH TRAVELER

I'm always interested in hearing new composers emerge in the JRPG space, which is often iterative and intertwines the identities of composers with certain publishers, developers, or series. That's not a slight against the JRPG industry, by the way – I actually really recognizing composers, listening to their style change and grow over the years as they become series mainstays or experiment in different games with different tones or genres. But a breath of fresh air is always good.

Enter Yasunori Nishiki's Octopath Traveler soundtrack. My immediate reaction: this is a consistently high-quality soundtrack, and high-quality over its entire length. Nishiki was confronted not only with the usual JRPG trimmings – overworld themes, battle themes, town themes, scenario themes – he had to compose themes for eight characters. Not to get too far into critiquing the game itself, but I feel like the world of Octopath just isn't richly drawn enough to inspire interesting music – not on its own, anyway. Yet despite this, this soundtrack rarely feels like it's checking boxes, and that is no small feat.

Case in point: imagine you have to compose for generic locales like "The Frostlands," "The Coastlands," and "The Highlands." I feel like these overworld themes some of the weaker songs on the soundtrack, but they are still quality compositions with skilled touches. "Frostlands" underlines its piano with bass to give it just the slightest warmth, and the bell-like tones that ring in and out of aural "sight" give the song a frost-like shimmer – an admirable way of capturing the snow theme. "Coastlands" is a sweet little woodwind-and-string showpiece with a bit of a Kohei Tanaka/Gravity Rush vibe. French horns in "Highlands" lend the stately air of a ridge of ancient, foggy mountains looming overhead.

A lot of the music in this game is two things I didn't expect: lush and tranquil. "Dark Caverns," a.k.a. "the cave theme," is pretty darn good. There's an air of romantic adventure in the mystery, the depth of the cave conveyed in the timpani, the sensation of cavern walls glistening with water in the bell-and-piano melody. I love the clarinet skulking around, hands in pockets, in "Sunshade, City of Pleasures." The accordion in "Clearbrook, by the Pristine Water" lends charm and warmth, sounding like a lost Breath of the Wild track. I've also got to admire anyone who looks at a mountain town filled with red dust and thinks, "I'm going to compose 'Settlement in the Red Bluffs.'"

The character themes are strong. Nishiki wisely signals each character with certain instruments, which comes in handy when it comes to the boss transitions (don't worry – we'll get to those). The character themes are all memorable and don't outstay their welcome. My favorites include "Tressa, the Merchant," with a harmonica lead that just about sums up the twinkle in the eye of that spunky pixelated girl (the best!); "Therion, the Thief," with the inspired choice of an oboe that, in its thin and reedy tone, signifies mischief and sorrow in equal measure; and "H'aanit, the Hunter," a solemn and solitary piano ballad that pushes forward into beautiful, sunlit clearings.

So yes – you've no doubt heard about those boss transitions. This is the single coolest thing this soundtrack does. In effect, while there are a handful of boss themes, each character has a version of their theme that plays in the scene before the boss battle and transitions into the boss theme. There's nothing "lush" nor "tranquil" about these, but they are crazy hype – so hype that I tried to make an iTunes smart playlist that transitions each song into the boss theme. It kind of works, but for the full effect I recommend just going on YouTube and watching the actual scenes. Check out this one from Primrose Chapter 2 – spoilers, of course.

I haven't even talked about the battle themes yet, which are also universally strong. Nishiki really is good at everything. The battle themes have got pretty much everything you want – catchiness, heft, and enough of a progression that they can suit any moment of the fight. My favorites are "Battle I" (which I wish stuck around for longer in the game) and "Decisive Battle II" (which never outstays its welcome), but eclipsing them for me are the final boss themes "The One They Call The Witch" and "Daughter of the Dark God." The latter two fittingly channel Bravely Default's final boss themes, with a stunning, ominous, operatic battle theme that opens up into an absolute rock banger. It's a hell of a closer.

All in all, this whole soundtrack is quality top to bottom, yet I can't help but wish that it moved me more. Gorgeous artstyle aside, Octopath takes place in a bog-standard medieval fantasy world. I can't help but feel like this shackled Nishiki's true potential here, because at the end of the day Nishiki still has to musically convey The Snowy Field and The Peaceful Town. Here I wonder if this game's predictable story beats and one-dimensional characters are tainting my perception of the music. I come away thinking that this is a rich soundtrack, but it's also kind of sleepy; it's pretty, but not achingly so.

Still, I can't remember the last time I listened to such a lengthy soundtrack and felt like almost every single song was thoughtfully crafted. There are moments throughout that shine brightly. So I need to give Yasunori Nishiki the tremendous credit he is due here, for a lengthy and consistently strong soundtrack with numerous gems. That's more than enough to crown Octopath Traveler this year. And it goes without saying that I am very excited to see what comes next for Nishiki. I think he has the potential to create an all-time best.

Remk NG

Apr 16, 2018
It was tough getting a final 10 list and I know I missed some good ones but here goes:

1. Into the Breach
I'm not a fan of ambient music because it typically just bleeds into the background and doesn't add much, Into the brach is a different case since it manages to convey the feeling of desolation and dread as you struggle to save humanity, and the great instrumentation and personality of the tracks make for a unique experience as you arestaring at the screen trying to make the right decision.

2. Celeste
My mind went back to me playing Genesis with headphones on while listening to this soundtrack and while there are some similar sounds I couldn't figure out why until repeated listenings. And the answer is simple, is just how the melodies match the atmosphere and gameplay, it's just so harmonius and well done that it took me back to that same feeling from years past.

3. Octopath Traveler
Nostalgia for old jrpgs can only take you so far and I was wary of what direction they would go for the music. Thankfully the soundrrack doesnt just go for familiar beats but rather creates unique themes that just had me putting down the system and immese in them.

4. Return of the Obra Dinn
The way the themes accentuate the story is fantastic and they have a unique personality that creates a great experience

5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
The new remixes and new original songs make this more than just a compilation of old soundtracks. Stuff like SMB3 fortress boss and F-Zero medleys create new unique experiences that are a joy to continuosly listen to. The game is the best jukebox ever!

6. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
7. deltarune
8. Tetris Effect
9. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
10. Donut County

I'll come back and do a write up on some of them at lease

edit: got five of them, I suck at writing descriptions :/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grexeno

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
1. Octopath Traveler

I am not good at describing why music is good but I will say that nothing this year can match this soundtrack's combination of quantity and quality.

Primrose, the Dancer
The Riverlands
A Settlement in the Red Bluffs
My Quiet Forest Home
Among Stately Peaks
For Treasure + Decisive Battle II

2. Celeste

Probably did the best job of complementing and enhancing the game of any soundtrack this year.

Resurrections
Celestial Resort (Good Karma Mix)
Confronting Myself

3. The Messenger

The Frozen Light (Glacial Peak)
Bamboo Boogaloo II (Bamboo Creek)
Civilization in the Sky (Cloud Ruins)

4. Monster Hunter: World

Rulers of the Wildspire
Gorgeous Days - Private Suite
Keeper of Hades - Vaal Hazak

5. Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion

Inside the Deepsea Metro Subway Car
#11 above
Fly Octo Fly

6. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country

The Beginning of Our Memory
Battle!!/Torna
Four-limbed Titan/Gormott

7. Florence

Florence
Music
Dreams

8. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

Crystal Caves
Deadwood Graveyard
Misty Woods

9. Donut County

Holes
Kindling
Fun Flume

10. Iconoclasts

Robin (Blockrock)
Preacher (Chrome's Theme)
Moonlight (VS Ivory Beast)

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
1. Far Cry 5- This was surprising but it's the game ost that I listened to most this year. A real nice blend of southern style violins and banjo plucking. You just don't hear it a lot in games. For a game about tons of action it has the most soothing and awesome sounding menu theme of 2018. The vocal tracks are just as good and I found myself kind of singing along to them in a creepy "oh god am I part of a cult now" way.

Oh The Bliss
We will Rise Again
The Blessing takes just minutes

2. Celeste- A platformer with great tracks. Some real inspirational music here.

Resurrections
Reach for the summit

3. Read Dead Redemption 2- Just a ton of music here. Good god there's a lot to digest but luckily most of it's good.

See the fire in your eyes
Jim Milton rides again

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I'm late to the party so sadly won't be able to put in as many details as I wanted. Glad to see it got a lot more votes since the vote extension and the pin though!
It's been a great year for game OSTs.

1. Octopath Traveler (Yasunori Nishiki)
Amazing OST by a composer doing his first composition on a core video game. There's already multiple videos on youtube really well done talking about the importance of the instruments, the music theory used there, the tempo, the transitions... Masterful, and without a doubt the best game soundtrack of 2018!
The One They Call The Witch -- Battle II -- Decisive Battle II

2. ZeroRanger (Eebrozgi)
Overlooked game, but I think even those that haven't played it (please do) have heard about this fantastic soundtrack. It's an amazing retro-style soundtrack, for an amazing retro-inspired shooter, that you won't be able to forget!
Unstopping -- The Sea Has Returned -- System Endless

3. The Alliance Alive (Masashi Hamauzu)
Full disclosure, I haven't played the game (thanks Atlus and their shitty treatment of Europe), but amazing OST. I love that composer, and you can definitely recognize his touch here! Really worth a listen even if you won't play the game (I still plan to).
Determination -- Ignition -- Flight

4. Dragon Ball FighterZ (vgmdb link)
I really didn't expect to place this OST this high in my top, but it's there for three reasons: it's just as good as some of the best tracks in any ASW game, it's more varied, and it really fits those characters from Dragon Ball. And the S1 DLC raised the bar again. Couldn't have asked for a better result!
Android 18 -- West City (destroyed) -- Cooler

5. Tetris Effect (vgmdb link)
As others said before me, it's hard to say if it's an OST or not. It's something that kind of stands on its own, but like Rez, it's something you need to experience in combination with the game itself. Mizuguchi will make you experience Synaesthesia again like he did with Rez nearly two decades ago!
Yours Forever -- Next Chapter -- Joy

6. Atelier Lydie & Suelle (vgmdb link)
I'm rarely disappointed by a Gust OST, and it's not the case here. Great conclusion to the Mysterious series, with its own themes, and also some nice continuations of previous ones. Really nice melodies all around, with some truly great tracks. It's a feel good OST, energetic, with weird instrument combinations, but with its melancholic moments. It's a Gust OST.
Losaria -- Disorder in order -- Sunflower part 3

7. Yakuza 6 (vgmdb link)
Best Yakuza OST of the year hands-down. You can feel it's the conclusion of the series in many ways, it feels more tense, more lyrical, more mature, and reminiscent of the rest of the series.
Qui garde un secret -- Theory of Beauty -- Bloodstained Philosophy

8. Valkyria Chronicles 4 (vgmdb link)
Honestly wasn't sure if it would end up in my top 10, but decided it deserved it in the end. Like the game itself, it really feels similar to VC1, but that's what people asked for (and then didn't buy it). Really good composition, some memorable tunes, and really good at transcribing various emotions. The game wouldn't be as good without it.
A moment of Quiet -- Squad E Moves On -- What We've Lost

9. Red Dead Redemption 2 (vgmdb link)
I don't feel it's as good as the first one, but it's bigger and just as impressive. It could fit any great western movie! Sadly, like some other big cinematic movie-like game OSTs, there's no real memorable themes...
See The Fire In Your Eyes -- Do Not Seek Absolution -- The Fine Joys of Tobacco

10. Zwei Arges Adventure (vgmdb link)
I have the game, but haven't started it yet. Discovered the OST thanks to this thread, and it's really good! Falcom OSTs are obviously always good, but it's a different kind of atmosphere here, that feels a lot more happy. I don't regret checking the other votes before posting mine.
Moment of Rest -- Road to Where the Dragon Sleeps -- Final Battle

Honourable mentions:
- Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise . Like most Yakuza games, you can feel it's the same composer as usual, but it has a really definite anime vibe. Not many tracks, but could have ended up in my top 10 another year. Jagi theme
- Battlefield V . It's a classical Battlefield OST with its own identity. Really feels like it's from a movie about that time period. Flute theme
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate . There's fantastic remixes in that OST, but it's still mostly remixes. I don't feel like allowing that criteria to be in a top 10 OST tbh. Gang-Plank Galleon
- Touhou Luna Nights . Same reason as Smash Bros, but it's only remixes here. On top of that, it's still early access, so let's wait and see how the full OST will be. The Maid and the pocket watch of blood
- Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion . Not many tracks, and while some are great, some are also pretty forgettable. Fly Octo Fly ~Ebb & Flow
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna . Same as Splatoon, there's not many tracks, as good as they are. Quality also varies a bit. Battle Theme
- Ni No Kuni 2 . Excellent melodies, but I didn't progress in the game as much as I wanted, and most feel like a repeat of the first one. Title Screen

Last edited:

Odoru

Oct 25, 2017
As with my GOTY post I missed out on a ton of games in 2018, and I'll probably spend a good amount of 2019 catching up on them. I just wanted to say I appreciate the work put in to doing this every year; its always fun to go through posts and listen to music from games I missed, or even going "oh yeah I forgot how great that track was" from the ones that I did play!

1. Octopath Traveler

For Redemption + Decisive Battle II
Primrose, the Dancer
They Who Govern Reason

2. Celeste

Resurrections
Scattered and Lost
Confronting Myself

3. God of War

Ashes
Echoes of an Old Life
Valkyries