• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

ResetEra Games of the Year 2018 Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetNicole

GIF Queen
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

RESETERA GAMES OF THE YEAR 2018

Announcement

December is here! Another year has come and gone, and it's now that special season that fills our hearts with joy. That's right, it's ResetEra Games of the Year 2018! Maybe you've already got a list, maybe you're checking it twice. Ready or not, the time is almost upon us, so hurry up with that backlog and get ready to argue about why your GOTY totally deserves to win it all this year.

If you're not familiar ResetEra Games of the Year, now is a great time to catch up on last year's awards thread.

The fabulous team from last year will be returning to help organize this year's celebrations again. Big thanks to Muzy, BeardedMan01, Rösti, OneAndOnly, Hecht, ratrosaw and all of the site staff.

Voting

Voting will begin on December 18th when the Games of the Year voting thread is posted. The voting period will last through through January 20th at 9:00 AM EST. The rules this year will remain the same as last year. VoteBot, everyone's favorite GOTY vote bot counter, will be reprising its role as well. If you're unfamiliar with what Games of the Year voting looks like, check out the 2017 voting thread.

Formatting Changes

This year, we'll be merging Rhythm and Card and Board into a new category, which coupled with Party will be called the Party, Rhythm, Card, and Board category or PRCB. Given the sparse releases in each of these categories each year, it made since to merge them to create a more competitive and engaging category.

Rather than run separate categories for Nintendo 3DS and Playstation Vita, this year we are merging the two together to create the Handheld category.

The "best of" categories for hardware this year will be PC, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Handheld, Mobile, VR, and Platform.

The "best of" categories for software this year will be Action, Action-Adventure, Adventure, PRCB (Party, Rhythm, Card, and Board), Fighting, Horror, Puzzle, Simulation, Racing, Remake, Role-Playing, Shooter, Sports, Strategy, and Publisher.

Game Eligibility

In order to help cut down on the eligibility debates that can be a distraction during voting, we're making the spreadsheet of games eligible for GOTY available now. (Note: remakes are listed at the bottom of the spreadsheet.) Our hope is that this will ensure that most of, if not all, eligibility questions are answered prior to the start of voting. If you've got questions about a game's eligibility, please reply in this thread with the game title, and we'll look it over.

Eligible games:
  • Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on.
  • DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable. Destiny: Curse of Osiris is eligible. Horse Armor is not.
  • Episodes of games released this year are eligible.

We will see you in the voting thread on December 18th!

If you have any questions about the Games of the Year process or games eligibility, let us know. Thank you for being the best community on the internet. We're looking forward to celebrating what an incredible year in gaming 2018 has been with you. See you then!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the reminder, Im definitely gonna get my votes in a lot earlier.

edit: The 25th Ward: The Silver Case released this year and should be added to the list.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So I’m guessing Deltarune Ch1 isn’t available to vote for since it wasn’t a full game? Was better than most games I played this year regardless.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don’t see Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna the Golden Country in the spreadsheet, it’s eligible though right?

Edit: nvm there it is

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
As usual I didn’t even play 10 games this year but all the ones that I did I enjoyed, so I’ll look forward to voting for them.

Redcrayon

Zoinks!
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can we keep abandoning timeline until Into the Breach wins :D

Also you seem to have forgotten the ‘best game about chickens with explosive diarrhoea’ category’ to give Bomb Chicken a chance.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Go go, Monster Hunter World! Although Hitman 2 is a close second.

I really need to play GoW before the year ends... maybe after I play ACUnity...

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Detroit is probably going to be my GOTY and I look forward to being the only person on Resetera to vote for it.
You won't be. Believe it or not, many voted for HR and even Beyond at the old place back in the day. Since Detroit is arguably their best game yet it will also get votes. I expect it to make the Top 10 or Top 20. Speaking of SweetNicole, Detroit is not on that spreadsheet lol (EDIT: fixed)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Will you guys be providing the affinity docs and all that this time? You never did for the results last year and it was kind of disappointing. That was one of my favorite parts of the voting and results process in previous years. Was a fun way to see lists similar to your own.

Eolz

Oct 25, 2017
UK/FR
I guess the list will still be updated overtime right? Because it seems to be missing many titles released this year.

Lump

Oct 25, 2017
Will ResetEra also host a Resettis award night for users who make special / good / dumb / legendary posts, sort of like the way Dunder Mifflin had the Dundies?

Oct 27, 2017
Gahhhh, Celeste or RDR2?!?

Detroit is definitely in my top 3 I'm thinking.

Hooo boy, this is going to be tough.

So I’m guessing Deltarune Ch1 isn’t available to vote for since it wasn’t a full game? Was better than most games I played this year regardless.
That'd be a shame, I thought it did an amazing job at capturing the magic of Undertale (been listening to the soundtrack pratically everyday).
Feels long enough to be its own thing as well, as opposed to a short demo.

Edit - Oh wait, it's on the list! Awesome!

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I keep thinking this year I can ready my list beforehand and post on one of the first few pages. But every year it's like, nope, so many indies to still catch up on before the deadline in late January. Page 46 when everybody stopped reading the list here I come again.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes I am ready to vote for the one true GOTY: ICONOCLASTS.

I don't see Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PC version released this year) though despite seeing ports of multiple games being eligible. Does this mean that ToCS2 isnlt?

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
That eligibility list is not nearly complete, is it? We can add our own in the voting? Otherwise please add Florence, Return of the Obra Dinn and Gris, among others.

Also, you better have some regexps to merge Spiderman, Marvel's spiderman, Spider-Man and all its variations, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Since Hollow Knight came out last year on PC is it not eligible this year for consoles?
If you scroll down the list with eligible games HK is listed under remakes. It's easily the best game i played this year, but i may go with Celeste, since is originally 2018 release.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.