• We are delighted to introduce GiftBot 2.0, the next generation of our popular gifting feature. To celebrate, we'll be giving away some incredible prizes over the coming weeks in one big Giveaway Extravaganza!

ResetEra Games of the Year 2018 Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
I really love the way GOTY works around here. The voting ending late January or early February gives everyone a chance to catch up on games they missed. I'm still playing RDR2, I still need to get my hands on VR this Christmas and try Astro Bot, I still need to play Detroit, etc. etc.

So this is perfect. =)

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Concerning game eligibility: I can't find the following on the list, despite all of them being officially released this year:

Rimworld
Magic The Gathering Arena
Eternal Card Game

Blueblur

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I’ve been part of this community for over ten years and I’ve never voted before. I’m excited to vote this year for the first time.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You won't be. Believe it or not, many voted for HR and even Beyond at the old place back in the day. Since Detroit is arguably their best game yet it will also get votes. I expect it to make the Top 10 or Top 20. Speaking of SweetNicole, Detroit is not on that spreadsheet lol (EDIT: fixed)
This year is stacked though and Heavy Rain had a lot of AAA novelty factor when it came out.

I'm still not 100% sure but Detroit is a game I played this year and wanted to finish without being distracted by other games. Most other games this year I've struggled to finish.

Such as RDR 2 which I'm still slogging through.

It'll probably be GoW or Detroit. Two games I loved for different reasons.

hibikase

Oct 26, 2017
Deltarune should be an eligible game, Toby Fox has stated that the “final” game hasn’t even started development, and will very likely become very different.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Actually had already started drafting my list about two weeks ago in anticipation of this -- just need to self-deliberate whether or not the rankings and the actual games themselves make the cut and write up my reasoning.

There's currently some contention for the last couple of slots in my mind (rank #9 and #10) but I think my top 8 are locked in at this point. Hope I can manage a quotable write-up for any of the games I nominate this year! I think I managed to get quoted in 2016 for my Titanfall 2 write-up at the old site. :D

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
You won't be. Believe it or not, many voted for HR and even Beyond at the old place back in the day. Since Detroit is arguably their best game yet it will also get votes. I expect it to make the Top 10 or Top 20.
It’s #6 on my list. It felt like a huge step forward for that subgenre, and one of the best choice-driven narrative-adventure games I’ve ever played.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was a 2d tier version of this. Of this instead not including the 5 GOTY nominee games from The Game Awards. The bias has already been set and GOW will win handedly here. I mean it should but it would be really interesting to throw out the top 5 and set where the voting lands.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
SweetNicole

Could Exapunks and Twinfold be added to the spreadsheet? I don’t believe I saw them

Also would the ports of Divinity OS2 and Hollow Knight be eligible?

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia Beach
These threads always remind me how many huge games I haven't finished playing this year. Still haven't beaten Spiderman and I've got a long way to go in Red Dead and God of War.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Any love for Hitman 2 here? #2 on my list this year (would have been #1 if not for RDR2), but I imagine that it won’t be widely voted for

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly makes forumers believing GoW is GOTY more biased than forumers believing their different favorite game is GOTY?
Becuase that's exactly how bias works, especially someone torn between two or more things. It has more to do with the people in the middle. Not the people who are steadfast with their descison.

McNum

Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I think I'm going to have Chrono Trigger for PC and R-Type Dimensions EX for Switch on mine. Both would go in the Remakes part of the sheet, but I didn't see them.

Also for Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! I really hope you have a robust set of aliases set up. Do people spell it with é or e? Do they notice the comma before the Pokémon name? Do they have the exclamation point? Are they writing it as either game or one of the several ways to combine the titles?

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Gow...one of the best games of the year.
RDR2...one of the best games ever made.

RDR2 wins.

Let's just move on to 2019.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks for the reminder, Im definitely gonna get my votes in a lot earlier.

edit: The 25th Ward: The Silver Case released this year and should be added to the list.
Added.

So I’m guessing Deltarune Ch1 isn’t available to vote for since it wasn’t a full game? Was better than most games I played this year regardless.
Added.

I don't see Dragalia Lost in the list. Are gacha ineligible?
Added.

Since Hollow Knight came out last year on PC is it not eligible this year for consoles?
Hollow Knight is under remakes at the bottom of the sheet.

Oh yes I am ready to vote for the one true GOTY: ICONOCLASTS.

I don't see Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PC version released this year) though despite seeing ports of multiple games being eligible. Does this mean that ToCS2 isnlt?
Added.

That eligibility list is not nearly complete, is it? We can add our own in the voting? Otherwise please add Florence, Return of the Obra Dinn and Gris, among others.
Added.

Concerning game eligibility: I can't find the following on the list, despite all of them being officially released this year:

Rimworld
Magic The Gathering Arena
Eternal Card Game
Added.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Red Dead 2 was easily the best experience I had with gaming this year. Phenomenal game.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Hollow Knight and Celeste I hope make top 10. They both are amazing games. This year had amazing AAA but some excellent indie titles as well. Will be an interesting top10 and top10 indie list.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks

Game Eligibility

In order to help cut down on the eligibility debates that can be a distraction during voting, we're making the spreadsheet of games eligible for GOTY available now. (Note: remakes are listed at the bottom of the spreadsheet.) Our hope is that this will ensure that most of, if not all, eligibility questions are answered prior to the start of voting. If you've got questions about a game's eligibility, please reply in this thread with the game title, and we'll look it over.
List needs:
Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight
Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight
Wandersong
Battle Princess Madelyn

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gow deserves this including some of the categories it got snubbed in during the game awards like best score or soundtrack.

C-Dub

Oct 25, 2017
Cardiff, Wales
What's the word on Shenmue I & II? Would they be allowed in the Remakes section? And would they be separate games or on the list as one entity, since they are only sold together?

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This year is stacked though and Heavy Rain had a lot of AAA novelty factor when it came out.

I'm still not 100% sure but Detroit is a game I played this year and wanted to finish without being distracted by other games. Most other games this year I've struggled to finish.

Such as RDR 2 which I'm still slogging through.

It'll probably be GoW or Detroit. Two games I loved for different reasons.
Yeah, I could see Top 10 maybe not happening. But if we go Top 20 just looking at the games eligible Detroit has more broad appeal than a lot of those in terms of era audience. Detroit will likely edge out stuff like Tomb Raider and Battlefield I imagine. The top spots will be filled with RDR2, GoW, Spiderman, Smash, Octopath, Monster Hunter, AC Odyssey, Celeste, maybe Far Cry 5. But after that it will get more interesting

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was a pretty mediocre year and I don't think I'll have more than 5-6 games on my list. I usually like to do 10 and can almost always squeeze 10 by the end of the year but I only had like 3 after spiderman came out in september.

Any love for Hitman 2 here? #2 on my list this year (would have been #1 if not for RDR2), but I imagine that it won’t be widely voted for
It will most likely be my goty. I still have to play JC4 and dragon quest but I highly doubt either will overtake it.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
When this comes around I notice more and more that I play less and less games lol. Also my list of actual games I played is heavily skewed towards Switch, instead of my Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.