• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

ResetEra Games of the Year 2018 Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
how do you vote tho?
Voting

Voting will begin on December 18th when the Games of the Year voting thread is posted. The voting period will last through through January 20th at 9:00 AM EST. The rules this year will remain the same as last year. VoteBot, everyone's favorite GOTY vote bot counter, will be reprising its role as well. If you're unfamiliar with what Games of the Year voting looks like, check out the 2017 voting thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Been slacking a bit this year, needing to wrap up on a few games. I might be able to get 10 games this year, but either way, I can't wait!

Also, please add Lost in Vivo for PC and Bendy and the Ink Machine for the three consoles (for PC, guess it is just Episode 4 & 5).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Looking up stuff for my GOTY list, The House in Fata Morgana: A Requiem for Innocence and Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.6 Tsumihoroboshi needs to be added. Will it be ok that they have semi colons and dashes in the middle of the names?

Oct 26, 2017
I only want to note, that one of my games for this year in mobile, Cube Escape: Paradox is not on the list. But it released this year.

Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Detroit is probably going to be my GOTY and I look forward to being the only person on Resetera to vote for it.
Wut. Detroit for sure is going to make it into the top 20 at least.

Edit - The spreadsheet is missing Firewall: Zero Hour, The Persistence, The Inpatient and Bravo Team. Not that anyone will vote for the last two.

Missing Fighting EX Layer, Déraciné and Death Mark as well.

Last edited:

Eolz

Oct 25, 2017
FR
SweetNicole more to add:

ZeroRanger
Touhou Luna Nights
Pig Eat Ball
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
Assault Spy
Echoes III
Zwei: The Arges Adventure
Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings
Blade Strangers
SNK Heroines
SNK 40th anniversary collection
Sunset Overdrive PC
Bullet Witch PC
The Vagrant
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk

and probably a ton more great games I'm forgetting...

Oct 27, 2017
Does it matter which region games the games were released in? Because VA-11 HALL-A was released on Vita in Europe this year and would be on my list but was out in North America in 2017.

Megadimension Neptunia VIIR is missing too (remake).

Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Are remakes being lumped in the same category as ports and remasters like the spreadsheet would suggest? Because there's a pretty big difference between a game built from the ground up like Shadow of the Colossus and a standard remaster like Burnout Paradise.

Next year's GOTY is going to be a remake after all.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018
This is the first time I’m gonna do one of these on Resetera. Can’t wait.

Although I find it strange Return of the Obra Dinn is categorized in adventure. Sure you are exploring this abandoned ship, but the way you progress thru the game by solving these murders is done in a very puzzle like method. Always thought of it as a puzzle game first and Adventure game second.

Speaking of Adventure games, here’s a couple of games that need to be added to the list to vote on:
  • Wandersong-Released on Switch, PC and Mac on 9/27/18. Developed by Greg Lobanov (or formerly Dumb and Fat Games) and genre is adventure.
  • Shapeshifting Detective: Released on PS4, XB1, Switch, PC and Mac. Developed by Wales Interactive and D’Avekki Studios Ltd and genre is adventure.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time I’m gonna do one of these on Resetera. Can’t wait.

Although I find it strange Return of the Obra Dinn is categorized in adventure. Sure you are exploring this abandoned ship, but the way you progress thru the game by solving these murders is done in a very puzzle like method. Always thought of it as a puzzle game first and Adventure game second.

Speaking of Adventure games, here’s a couple of games that need to be added to the list to vote on:
  • Wandersong-Released on Switch, PC and Mac on 9/27/18. Developed by Greg Lobanov (or formerly Dumb and Fat Games) and genre is adventure.
  • Shapeshifting Detective: Released on PS4, XB1, Switch, PC and Mac. Developed by Wales Interactive and D’Avekki Studios Ltd and genre is adventure.
Agreed. Obra Dinn should be in puzzle, not adventure

Nov 14, 2017
God of War, Astro Bot, RDR2, Spider-Man, Forza Horizon 4,... Damn this was a damn good year.

And still haven't touched Detroit, Celeste, A Way Out and Odyssey.

Morrigan

Armoring
Oct 24, 2017
So we truly have a "remake" category now. What a time to be alive. :P

Also it's a weirdly-named category since that includes remasters and even just straight ports. Which, I'd count separately from actual remakes to be honest.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
So we truly have a "remake" category now. What a time to be alive. :P

Also it's a weirdly-named category since that includes remasters and even just straight ports. Which, I'd count separately from actual remakes to be honest.
There was a remake category last year as well.

Best Remake: Metroid: Samus Returns = 359 points, 13 honorable mentions
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe = 264 points, 13 honorable mentions
3. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia = 166 points, 5 honorable mentions
4. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy = 149 points, 4 honorable mentions
5. Stardew Valley = 127 points, 2 honorable mentions
6. Wipeout Omega Collection = 46 points, 8 honorable mentions
7. Superhot VR = 43 points, 1 honorable mentions
8. Doom = 43 points, 3 honorable mentions
9. Undertale = 42 points, 1 honorable mentions
10. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim = 39 points, 0 honorable mentions

Morrigan

Armoring
Oct 24, 2017
Ah, I didn't recall that. Still, I really wouldn't file, say, Crash Bandicoot or even Shadow of the Colossus in the same category as straight ports, no? Next year we'd have Resident Evil 2 REmake too, and I wouldn't put it under the list of games that are mostly ports either.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't care much about this stuff, but the Remake category is a head-scratcher to me. Late releases and ports next to full-fledged, real remakes? It seems a bit unfair for the latter.

Oct 28, 2017
God of War will obviously win, but I hope Celeste somehow manages to claw its way in to second or third place. It's my clear front runner. Not even a goddamn Rockstar open world game was able to top it for me. Reminds me a lot of 2010 I suppose with Red Dead vs Super Meat Boy.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Surely Marvel’s Spider-Man should be correctly represented in the spreadsheet (it’s currently listed as Marvel’s Spiderman.) We may see votes both ways, as well as without the “Marvel’s” prefix so it’s in danger of losing votes due to variations used, but at least the correct spelling should count!

Oct 23, 2017
Surely Marvel’s Spider-Man should be correctly represented in the spreadsheet (it’s currently listed as Marvel’s Spiderman.) We may see votes both ways, as well as without the “Marvel’s” prefix so it’s in danger of losing votes due to variations used, but at least the correct spelling should count!
We generally remove special characters from names when we parse the votes, so either way it should be fine. Also, we check to see if certain keywords are within game titles and combine them that way. Either way, your votes should be counted.

Oct 25, 2017
So how is Early Access being handled? My pick for GOTY, Slay the Spire, isn't on the spreadsheet. Meanwhile, Magic the Gathering Arena, which is also on my list, is on the list, but it currently an open Beta and not a full release

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
God of War, Dragon Quest XI, Spiderman, Monster Hunter World, Valkyria Chronicles 4, it's alright my children. WE GOT THIS

it was a good year for gaming, that's for sure. Underwhelming first half but excellent second half - also, after playing Smash the entire weekend, I've come to the realization I didn't touch my Switch for more than 6 months, sucks.
Detroit is probably going to be my GOTY and I look forward to being the only person on Resetera to vote for it.
I had a blast with it. It could probably be my #10 or my last pick, but I sure as hell will vote for it. Interrogating someone as Connor with THREE different people choosing had me in tears of laughter - only other games in which I laughed as much this year were MH World coop and Smash with 8 people last night

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So how is Early Access being handled? My pick for GOTY, Slay the Spire, isn't on the spreadsheet. Meanwhile, Magic the Gathering Arena, which is also on my list, is on the list, but it currently an open Beta and not a full release
In my opinion, a game should be eligible in both the year it releases on Early Access and the year it leaves Early Access. If ports and re-masters are eligible across multiple years, then so should Early Access.

If it was up to me, release date wouldn't matter and the only criteria would be that you played the game during the year. I think that's a much truer reflection of what “GOTY" represents, a snapshot of what you played in the year, what impacted and resonated with you.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018
I wish Octopath Traveler will reach top 20 but I'm not optimistic as no one is talking about it anymore...
It will get a high ranking in my poll if it helps you feel better. Not normally a JRPG player but Octopath really grabbed me by beating some of the characters stories and figuring out how to have the ideal team. It rules.

Edit: Also SweetNicole I gotta give you a correction on Wandersong. Its totally my fault for not giving you the publisher as I thought we were suppose to provide info on who the developers of certain games were. Humble Bundle Published Wandersong and Greg Lobanov developer the game. My bad.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Pssst people who are voting RDR2 or god of war as #1 I’ll venmo u 100 bucks to replace them with Celeste!! sis needs the recognition

I predict it’ll go something like
1. GOW
2. RDR2
3. Smash Ultimate
4. Celeste
5. Spider-Man or Detroit

For resetera as a whole

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
SweetNicole

Is it allowed to dedicate a small, separate list to games from 2017 and earlier? This list won't use the official formatting, of course. I ask because I played like 5 games from 2018 and the rest of them are all older. The latter obviously can't be included in my official GOTY list, but it would be nice to include them as honorable mentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.