ResetEra Games of the Year 2018 Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
GWENT: The Witcher Card Game is not on the list. It was released last week, after a long beta.

Eridani

Oct 25, 2017
At a glance, the following games seem to be missing from the list:
MUSYNX (released Dec 5)
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session (released Nov 2 in North America. It came out in Japan last year, but afaik such cases always counted for GOTY votes here)
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (released Nov 2 in NA)
Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ DX
Atelier Totori ~The Adventurer of Arland~ DX
Atelier Meruru ~The Apprentice of Arland~ DX (All three released on PC/PS4 on Dec 4, which I think counts for the remakes category)
Cultist Simulator (released May 31)
Marble It Up! (released Nov 16)
Pangya Mobile (Released Feb 8, apparently, after a closed beta last year)
Honkai Impact 3 (I think? It had an English pre-registration thing early this year, and I'm assuming a full launch later)
Path of Exile: Betrayal (maybe?). The OP says DLC and expansions count, so this technically should even though it's free.
GWENT: Homecoming. Should this count as separate to Gwent? They did pretty much completely change the game so it probably should.

I'm also unsure if merging rhythm and card games into the same category makes sense. It would make a more "competitive" category I guess, but since the genres are nothing alike I don't think the category would be very useful. Especially considering this year actually has quite a few releases in for rhythm games:

Rhythm games have:
Persona 5 Dancing
Persona 4 Dancing
Persona 3 Dancing
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!
DJMAX Respect
MUSYNX
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Beat Saber
PriPara All Idol Perfect Stage
Probably a bunch of gacha games I'm not familiar with

That's definitely enough for its own category. Looking at the list, that's more games than the horror (7), racing (8), and sports (9) and almost as much as the fighting (12), simulation (12), and strategy (14) categories.

As for card games, we have:
Artifact
Eternal Card Game
MTG: Arena (I think this is still technically open beta, but it is on the list)
Gwent
New Hearthstone expansions, if those count

I'd still be interested in seeing how these stack up, but with how few of them there are merging them with another category makes sense, even if that category (party games) isn't similar at all.

Vitor

Oct 30, 2017
Can you vote for remakes on all categories or just for Best Remake?

Last edited:

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I had a list ready, but December is shaking that up. So many quality indie releases in a week

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
also, Votebot better be ready to tally Spider-Man's votes.

Spider-Man, Spiderman, Spider-men, Spidermen and maybe even more variations will all show up for sure lol

Sgtpepper89

Oct 26, 2017
Im nominating Lumines remaster. Keep your washed up story lines and cutscenes, im going straight to the gameplay.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, I didn't even play Yakuza 6, Kiwami 2, Lost Paradise and Pillars of Eternity 2 which would probably all end up on my list :-/
also, Votebot better be ready to tally Spider-Man's votes.

Spider-Man, Spiderman, Spider-men, Spidermen and maybe even more variations will all show up for sure lol
Piderman

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Always interesting to see how off the genres are. I recall last year had some really weird game placements. Like what do you do with God of War, primarily an action game but has all the elements of an action adventure game.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
In last year's thread somebody mentioned linking your ballot on your profile, which was a fun idea.

With the new forum technology we have a space for that as well, hopefully people continue to do it, it's fun.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I have a few more games to finish so January 20th should give me plenty of time. Still need to finish RDR2 and get AstroBot started. Playing some Smash now as well.

DOATag

Oct 25, 2017
Canada, eh?
Can we make recommendations for games to add to the list? For example Battletech (PC) was released April of this year and gets my vote

Feb 9, 2018
I still have a backlog of games from 2017 and earlier I haven't finished. The first new title this year I bought was Mega Man 11, which was incredibly fun. I picked up Smash on Friday and have played a few hours of it. I picked up God of War on Black Friday but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Everything else was a re-release of older games: Shadow of the Colossus, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, and the Mega Man and Mega Man X Legacy Collections. There are still several games released this year that I was interested in but haven't bought yet. I was ridiculously busy for most of the year, and I found it hard to get sufficiently motivated to slog through most modern games considering how long many of them can take to complete.

Now that we're in the slow season I'm trying to go back and complete some older games. I might pop GoW into my PS4 and start playing it this week. Hopefully I'll be caught up on my backlog within the next month, but considering that I'd only have three 2018 titles that aren't re-releases of older games, any list I'd have would be quite sparse.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Girls Und Panzer: Dream Tank Match is missing. It came out in Feb. 2018. You can find the OT here (though the upgrade to 2.0 broke all my pictures for whatever reason): https://www.resetera.com/threads/girls-und-panzer-dream-tank-match-ot-keep-calm-and-panzer-on.24311/

Even if I'm the only vote, it's the most fun I had all year and so my personal GotY. I'd prefer not to be denied this vote.
That'd be cool and could bring attention to the new version of the game next year yeah.
I don't see why it wouldn't be eligible, I'm sure it'll be added.

Tofer

Oct 27, 2017
Tough competition this year. I’ve been undecided between RDR2 and GOW. Now Smash is trying to sneak in

VFX_Veteran

Nov 11, 2017
I just don't see GoW as being GOTY. I have yet to see anything special about it (just got through the mine level). I like the son and all but it's pretty boring going from hub to hub. Spiderman, RDR2 and Odyssey are much better games imo.

Kritz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably the only person on the forum who'll vote for it, but,
Jackbox Party Pack 5 is some good video game, y'all. (And isn't in the list yet)

Mad Verse City's some really, really good fun.

Oct 27, 2017
At a glance, the following games seem to be missing from the list:
MUSYNX (released Dec 5)
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session (released Nov 2 in North America. It came out in Japan last year, but afaik such cases always counted for GOTY votes here)
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (released Nov 2 in NA)
Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ DX
Atelier Totori ~The Adventurer of Arland~ DX
Atelier Meruru ~The Apprentice of Arland~ DX (All three released on PC/PS4 on Dec 4, which I think counts for the remakes category)
Cultist Simulator (released May 31)
Marble It Up! (released Nov 16)
Pangya Mobile (Released Feb 8, apparently, after a closed beta last year)
Honkai Impact 3 (I think? It had an English pre-registration thing early this year, and I'm assuming a full launch later)
Path of Exile: Betrayal (maybe?). The OP says DLC and expansions count, so this technically should even though it's free.
GWENT: Homecoming. Should this count as separate to Gwent? They did pretty much completely change the game so it probably should.

I'm also unsure if merging rhythm and card games into the same category makes sense. It would make a more "competitive" category I guess, but since the genres are nothing alike I don't think the category would be very useful. Especially considering this year actually has quite a few releases in for rhythm games:

Rhythm games have:
Persona 5 Dancing
Persona 4 Dancing
Persona 3 Dancing
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!
DJMAX Respect
MUSYNX
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Beat Saber
PriPara All Idol Perfect Stage
Probably a bunch of gacha games I'm not familiar with

That's definitely enough for its own category. Looking at the list, that's more games than the horror (7), racing (8), and sports (9) and almost as much as the fighting (12), simulation (12), and strategy (14) categories.

As for card games, we have:
Artifact
Eternal Card Game
MTG: Arena (I think this is still technically open beta, but it is on the list)
Gwent
New Hearthstone expansions, if those count

I'd still be interested in seeing how these stack up, but with how few of them there are merging them with another category makes sense, even if that category (party games) isn't similar at all.
Several of those had already released years prior such as MUSYNX, Persona 4 Dancing All Night, Crypt of the Necrodancer, etc. I do think enough games released this year that you could make a Rhythm Game of the Year category though.

Eridani

Oct 25, 2017
Several of those had already released years prior such as MUSYNX, Persona 4 Dancing All Night, Crypt of the Necrodancer, etc. I do think enough games released this year that you could make a Rhythm Game of the Year category though.
That's true. Ports and English releases of games should be eligible, but it's likely they won't get all that many votes since most people already played them in past years. I know I'll be voting for some of them, but they probably won't be all that popular.

Idk, grouping them together with card games just feels weird to me. Not a super big deal or anything though.

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
Some titles I noticed are missing from the list:

Gravel
Fox n Forests
Shikhondo: Soul Eater
Rym 9000
Ice Cream Surfer

Remakes:
Gundemoniums
Psyvariar Delta

Ports:
Cosmic Star Heroine (Vita/Switch)
Fast Striker (PS4)
Bleed 2 (PS4)

I get if you dont want to/can't add every game released this year but I think atleast Gravel and Fox n Forests should be on the list. Thanks!

klier

Oct 29, 2017
2018 sucked, but I am going to give my vote to RDR2 for GOTY.

Anything but GOW, basically.

BronsonLee

it me
Oct 24, 2017
Hope y'all are ready for my fire list to burn down the whole forum

I haven't done an order yet but I'M GETTING THERE

Yeshua

Oct 26, 2017
Some games that are missing from the spreadsheet that I can think of :
- The Alliance Alive (3DS, Atlus, RPG) (my personnal GOTY)
- Dynasty Warriors 9 (PC/PS4/XBO, Koei Tecmo, Action)
- Warriors Orochi 4 (PC/PS4/XBO/NSW, Koei Tecmo, action)
- Dynasty Warriors 7 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition (PC, Koei Tecmo, Action Remake)
- Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition (NSW, Koei Tecmo, Action Remake)
- Attack on Titan 2 (PC/PS4/XBO/NSW, Koei Tecmo, action)

Also Assassin's Creed Odyssey isn't on Switch or I missed some big news lol [EDIT] Welp, completely forgot the cloud version in Japan.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
SweetNicole

Is it allowed to dedicate a small, separate list to games from 2017 and earlier? This list won't use the official formatting, of course. I ask because I played like 5 games from 2018 and the rest of them are all older. The latter obviously can't be included in my official GOTY list, but it would be nice to include them as honorable mentions.
Is there anyone from the awards team who is able to answer this?

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
God of War has that in the bag,and will not be even close.Playing now AC Odyssey,and I still have to play A Way Out on my backlog since launch day,I need to buy Celeste and I have a solid top 10.Maybe the Messenger too.
If RDR2 wins GOTY I'll lose all hope for the gaming community
Don't worry,not gonna happen.

Yeshua

Oct 26, 2017
Small mistake in the spreadsheet, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology should be in the remake list since it's a port of a DS game, currently it's considered as a new game.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
I feel bad because due to financial restraints I haven't really been able to PLAY a lot of games.
Most of them are on the Switch and were also technically not from this year. But alas I will drop my input regardless.

May 5, 2018
Hey SweetNicole I got another game that is eligible for this year since it finally got out of early access and got a 1.0 release on November 29, 2018:

Parkitect: Playable on PC and Mac. Published by Texel Raptor. Genre is Simulation.

Morrigan

Armoring
Oct 24, 2017
SweetNicole Could you please add Death's Gambit and Vampyr to the spreadsheet? (or give me edit access :D) Thanks!

Edit: some more info:

Death's Gambit - Action/Adventure (RPG is also OK I guess) - PS4/PC - White Rabbit (dev), Adult Swim Games (pub)
Vampyr - Action/Adventure - PS4/X1/NSW/PC - Dontnod (dev), Focus Home Interactive (pub)

BDS

Oct 25, 2017
Is Life is Strange Before the Storm: Farewell eligible? It came out this year but it wasn't on the spreadsheet
Seconding this question. I'm assuming it is eligible because the rules say that DLC is eligible if it's playable, and Farewell is considered bonus content/paid DLC separate from the 2017 game. It also says "episodes of games released this year are eligible," so yes, I'm assuming Farewell is eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.