The Old Guard
- Oct 24, 2017
The annual GOTY vote has arrived!
The fabulous team from last year will be returning to help organize this year's celebrations again. Big thanks to Muzy, BeardedMan01, Rösti, OneAndOnly, Hecht, ratrosaw and all of the site staff.
The official rules and sample ballot are below. Please read carefully as options are different
If you do not follow the rules, your vote may not be counted. You have been warned.
2018 Voting Rules
Your post needs to look like this:
- Dead Cells - It's the only game more dead than my heart.
- God Of War - He doesn't even have a dad bod.
- Fortnite: Battle Royale - More like Fartnite, amirite?
- Monster Hunter World - Game meets grind.
- Red Dead Redemption 2 - Somehow manages to play slower than PAL Tekken 3.
- Celeste - Well, the music is decent at least?
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Kass should have been the only playable character.
- Marvel's Spiderman - Puddlegate is REAL.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Sakurai tried to make a game so bad Nintendo would finally free him.
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Shadow the Hedgehog was a better game.
- Dead Cells
- God Of War
- Fortnite: Battle Royale
- Monster Hunter World
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey
- Marvel's Spiderman
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- You must have at least one comment on your ballot or it may not be counted. The comment must be more substantial than "best game ever LOL" etc. Posting without comments may subject you to a ban. Do NOT post a ballot without any comments.
- Lists must be created using the ordered list option in RTF OR using "list=1" if using BBCode editor.
- The game title must be bolded.
- You can use anything to break between a bolded game title and your comment. Hyphens, semi-colons, colons, etc.
- You may vote for any playable content released in 2018.
- The current spreadsheet of nominated games can be found here.
- You can list up to any number of games for your ballot. 1-10 will receive vote points. 11+ will be considered honorable mentions.
- Games must be listed using their full title. Abbreviated entries will not be counted. Copy-and-paste from the spreadsheet to be sure. Voting for "MHW" or "RDR2" will result in your vote not being counted. You must use the full title.
- No reserving posts to hold your ballot until later. This clogs up the thread with wasted space and ensures that fewer people will actually see your list. Such posts will disqualify your ballot, even if edited later.
- No posting unofficial, preliminary results. This may influence voting.
Ready to vote? Get started quickly by copying and pasting the ballot below into your reply.
To ensure the parser correctly tabulates your ballot, please follow this format as closely as possible. Don't actually post "Game A" or "Your thoughts on Game A," etc.
- Game A - Thoughts on Game A
- Game B - Thoughts on Game B
- Game C - Thoughts on Game C
- Game D - Thoughts on Game D
- Game E - Thoughts on Game E
- Game F - Thoughts on Game F
- Game G - Thoughts on Game G
- Game H - Thoughts on Game H
- Game I - Thoughts on Game I
- Game J - Thoughts on Game J
- Game K - Thoughts on Game K
- Game L - Thoughts on Game L
Note that while all points will be tallied, only NEW playable content will be eligible for GOTY and Genre Award consideration.
All content is eligible for Platform Award consideration. Rereleases, ports, and other content will be awarded in their own category.
- Game A - 4 points
- Game B - 3 points
- Game C - 3 points
- Game D - 2 points
- Game E - 2 points
- Game F - 2 points
- Game G - 1 points
- Game H - 1 points
- Game I - 1 points
- Game J - 1 points
- Game K - 0 points
- Game L - 0 points
BBCODE (also, you can highlight and quote/reply the above to automatically copy the BBcode to your post):
[*][B]Game A[/B] - Thoughts on Game A
[*][B]Game B[/B] - Thoughts on Game B
[*][B]Game C[/B] - Thoughts on Game C
[*][B]Game D[/B] - Thoughts on Game D
[*][B]Game E[/B] - Thoughts on Game E
[*][B]Game F[/B] - Thoughts on Game F
[*][B]Game G[/B] - Thoughts on Game G
[*][B]Game H[/B] - Thoughts on Game H
[*][B]Game I[/B] - Thoughts on Game I
[*][B]Game J[/B] - Thoughts on Game J
[*][B]Game K[/B] - Thoughts on Game K
[*][B]Game L[/B] - Thoughts on Game L
------ Vote Bot ------
Returning again this year will be VoteBot. Once your vote has been posted, VoteBot will parse your list and provide you a receipt that looks like the below.
Please use VoteBot to help ensure that your posts are formatted correctly. If VoteBot is reading your post incorrectly, you likely have formatting errors in your post!
------ Game Eligibility -------
- Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on.
- DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable. Destiny: Curse of Osiris is eligible. Horse Armor is not.
- Episodes of games released this year are eligible.
Is (insert game here) eligible?
1. First, check the speadsheet of eligible nominated games Note that this list isn't exhaustive, but if it's on there, you're good.
2. Not on there? Check the confirmed eligible and ineligible games listed above.
3. If a game you want isn't listed there either, and you're SURE about it, just post it in your ballot. We'll automatically add it to the list. If you're not sure, shoot me or Hecht a PM and we'll get it sorted out.
Are Early Access games eligible?
No, Early Access, beta, demo, and Greenlight games are not eligible. PC games must reach full release, or version 1.0 in order to be eligible.
Can I talk about somebody else's list?
Discussion is encouraged! Want to talk about another poster’s list? Quote it.
Can I use images in my ballot? I want it to be BEAUTIFUL!
Absolutely you can, but all numbering and formatting must happen as indicated in the sample ballot above, meaning your numbers cannot be within the image itself, and you must make the images work within an ordered list. Images should be posted AFTER the bolded title. ex: "1. Game A (img) - comments" or "1. Game A - comments (img)" You can use carriage returns and the like are fine for spacing out images.
My ballot is too long! Can I split it into two posts?
You should NOT split your ballot into two, because the parser won't read it correctly.
I want to change my list. Do I have to make a new post?
No, you can simply edit your original vote up until the deadline. Please note that ONLY your posted list will be read by the parser. If you wish to make ballot changes, please edit your already posted list!
My ballot was disqualified! Why?
Most likely, you didn't follow the rules above. What you probably did: You didn't number things correctly. You didn't write any comments. You listed the same game more than once. You didn't follow the formatting rules.
Can I order my list from 10 to 1?
OMG what about Red Dead Redemption 2 and Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII Lots of people are using Arabic numerals. Will they be counted?
We'll be fairly lenient on variations, but the only way to guarantee that your vote will be counted is to copy-and-paste from the spreadsheet. But again, just because a game isn't listed doesn't mean you can't vote for it if you're sure it's a 2018 title. Just use the most complete and official title available.
When will the results be posted?
As soon as is possible given the copy-paste technology at our disposal.
Happy voting, everyone!