• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
fnKb78d.jpg

1. Undertale - Undertale is one of my top 5 games of all time, and the Switch version adds interesting new content, and also introduces some new deep lore... A perfect port, that in someway surpasses the original PC version. Which leads me to...
  2. Deltarune Chapter 1 - A sequel to an incredible game, released out of nowhere. for free, which somehow surpasses the high expectations of the original? What's not to like?! Yes, it's basically an extended demo / proof of concept, but it features more original ideas than many full games. I'd have happily paid $10 for this.
  3. Life Is Strange: Before The Storm: Farewell - The original voice actors return in this gut wrenching episode, making for a truly emotional experience.
  4. Night In The Woods - This game released on Switch this year and it is a surprisingly moving, all too real take of teenage life in a struggling, dead-end town.
  5. 428: Shibuya Scramble - It's a shame that this game got sent to die because it really is a wonderful Visual Novel. The amount of care put into the translation really shines through and it is clearly a labour of love. The plot of the game is wild, veering from slapstick comedy that's genuinely amusing to a heart racing thriller.
  6. WarioWare Gold - The absurd, hilarious microgames finally make it to the 3DS. The new animated cutscenes with actual voice acting shows that a ton of effort has been put into this compilation.
  7. GNOG - An endlessly creative, tactile series of puzzle boxes. I didn't want this to end.
  8. Gorogoa - This puzzle game is so incredibly clever. My jaw dropped several times while playing. Wonderful stuff.
  9. Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! - The art style is incredibly cute and while the game is somewhat simplified, there's still a ton of depth behind it. I came away impressed. Pokemon somehow never clicked with me before. This game changed everything.
  10. The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit - I wondered how Life Is Strange would work with a new storyline. The answer is surprisingly well. The game lingers in your mind, long after you've played it. I am really excited for LiS 2.

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2018! You vote receipt is available here.**

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2018! You vote receipt is available here.**

Last edited by a moderator:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
6. Metroid Samus Returns: The feeling of isolation and mystery is esesential to any Metroid game, and Samus Returns remakes one of the most forgotten tales in the Metroid saga to deliver it on spades. Incredible gameplay, lots of place to explore and satisfying combat, Metroid SR is one of the best game on the 3DS.

I'm pretty sure you can only include games released in 2018.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
  1. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - together with Bloodborne and Hollow Knight this was the best game I've played this gen, and easily my favorite turn-based RPG ever. What a journey it was, it's a really incredible experience. It's been so many years since DQVIII but the wait was totally worth it, ended up being my 3rd most played game on PS4 in a matter of weeks with ~250h played with two playthroughs basically in a row.
  2. God of War - amazing combat system different from anything else I've experienced before, Leviathan Axe is something else indeed. I felt like I only truly grasped the combat in my second playthrough and the more I play the game the more I enjoy it, Valkyries fights were the highlight. SMS did a phenomenal job.
  3. Hollow Knight - my GOTY last year, played it even more in this one with more playthroughs and the Godmaster DLC which was amazing, being able to replay all my favorite bosses in the game whenever I want was a godsend, I won't stop playing this anytime soon.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
  1. God of War - I did not expect that God of War would be my favorite game of this year. I have never liked any of the games in the past generally regarding them as excessively over the top and rather childish in that regard. Yet this game was truly something special, it gave depth and development to a character that never had much of any. It surprisingly felt like the series had decided to grow up as I always thought it should. It took itself seriously in a way I don't feel like any of the previous games ever really even attempted to. There are moments in this game that gave me literal chills and I've never been happier for a game to truly surpass my expectations in the way that this game did. On top of all that I thought the combat was fantastic as well as the side quests and added RPG elements, its one of the few games that felt worth platinuming and the final bonus boss was a fantastic challenge. I greatly look forward to the sequel.
  2. Dragon Quest XI - Dragon Quest XI is the game that restored my faith in JRPGs. I really didn't care for FFXV, Persona 5, or Octopath Traveler all of which felt like they could have been so much better. I expected this game to be pretty good, I had herd positive things about it and I like the series but I was absolutely blown away but how strong the characters were and some really amazing moments throughout the whole game. The only reason I couldn't rank it above God of War is because I felt like the post game content wasn't nearly as interesting as they tried to make it out to be. Still a fantastic game that really resonated with me and is truly a masterwork of the genre.
  3. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate - I'll be honest I wasn't super hyped for Smash when it was announced, I felt disapointed by the lack of single player offerings on the 3DS and Wii U versions and I wasn't sure what to expect even after the World of Light got announced. I'm happy to say that I'm really enjoying Ultimate. It's hands down my favorite game in the series and the single player offerings are great, I was concerned that spirits would be a really annoying or uninteresting mechanic but the way that they tailor fights around each character is just fun and at times quite challenging. It's a fun yet completely different way to play the game and I've enjoyed the game so much that it actually makes me want to keep praticing and become a better player, something no other game in the series has really done.
  4. Phantasy Star - This came out only a few days ago in the US but its a classic from the Sega Master System and I am extremely happy to say is still a masterpiece. It's crazy to think that this game came out so close to games like the original Final Fantasy yet is so vastly superior in many ways. It's got graphics and music way ahead of its time and the new Ages features for this Switch remaster are fantastic. The auto mapping for the first person dungeons and well as walking faster function really help the game hold up quite well for new players which you can use even if you don't want to use the addtional experience and meseta gains that really help to tone down the difficulty of the game and prevent a lot of grinding. It's a great game and a great remaster despite its age, heres hoping the rest of the series gets the same treatment!
  5. Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology - I liked the original game well enough but while I wasn't sold on the changes this version made at first by the time I finished I felt like it was well worth it. The voice acting really helps to give life to the story and the additional bits of story in the post game help to flesh out some of the plot holes the original story had. It's not perfect and I think a lot of the DLC is rather insulting but the main game is great and a lot of fun. If you are still willing to play games on your 3DS give this game a chance, its well worth it.
I'll try and fix up the formatting later so its a bit easier to read and maybe add a few more.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
  1. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Amazing localization, addicting combat and crafting system, outstanding animations and a charming story.
  2. God of War - Rebooted against all odds and had a great story with twists, a shame the bosses weren't memorable.
  3. Monster Hunter World - I couldn't stand this series, but bought this on a lark and fell in love.
  4. Dragon Ball FighterZ - A disappointing story mode and a cumbersome online experience, but great gameplay.
  5. Final Fantasy Dissidia NT - Same as DBFZ, really. Have spent so much time with this game despite its shortcomings.
  6. BELOW - Beautiful indie roguelike with NES difficulty.
  7. Sonic Mania Plus - DLC done right, adds to gameplay, beautiful new UI, and a nice new game mode.
  8. The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit - Thought provoking and has me excited to eventually play LiS2.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - My initial list had God of War at the top, and I can't say it wasn't deserved. My initial comment also said that it would certainly be number 1...and yet here we are. Smash doesn't reinvent the wheel but it produces one of the mostly finely crafted multiplayer experiences to date. The character roster has worth new additions (with more on the way) and feels like an almost complete package (custom moves missing aside.) God of War gave me a superior experience in 2018, but I'll get many more hours here on out with Smash Brothers that I won't regret.
  2. God of War - Even though Smash tops my list, 2018 was the year or Sony and nothing is more emblematic of that then God of War. A fantastic game from start to finish, I truly appreciate how Kratos and the franchise has grown. I played the previous games in the series, but found them (for the most part) to be a bit mindless. Fun and bombastic, but honestly fairly forgettable. Not so with God of War 2018. The humour is fantastic, the story is strong andthe combat (though not perfect) feels fresh and works surprisingly well. I'm glad I was wrong about this one, God of War is a truly great experience not to be missed.
  3. Mega Man 11 - People told me the soundtrack in this one wasn't worth my time and, as shallow as it seems, that kept me from picking it up launch day. Terribly decision though, as I loved both the tight gameplay and the modernised soundtrack. It really brings mega man well into the 21st century and I'm really hoping Capcom doesn't sleep another decade before we see Mega Man 12.
  4. Astro Bot Rescue Mission - What a superb experience. I got a PS VR at launch but nothing on it has given me quite as much joy as Astro Bot. It's simple and certainly not quite "Mario 64" in my eyes but I love everything about it from the aesthetic, to the unique gameplay to the incredible soundtrack. Of this list, this is certainly the most surprising inclusion and I'm glad I was able to experience it.
  5. Marvel's Spider-Man - If God of War was Sony's Beatles for 2018, this would be Sony's Rolling Stones. A great feeling game, in both narrative and gameplay: it has never been so fun to be Spiderman. Thanks Insomniac Games.
  6. Detroit: Become Human - A controversial game, but ultimately it finally feels like a game almost gets the "choose your own adventure" format right. Key word being "almost." I'd argue that one third of the game is narratively captivating while the other two thirds ranges from interesting to boring and tone-death at points. Still! I'm excited to see what comes next for Quantic Dream.
  7. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - While the soundtrack is a little disappointing (compared to Castlevania III) it otherwise surpasses it's spiritual predecessor in every other manner. Not since Shovel Knight has a 2D NES homage been done quite so well, and I'm excited to see how the final game turns out.
  8. Wario Ware Gold - The 3DS' final hurrah! Not, by any means, a revolution in the Wario Ware series, but continues its trend of excellence and pure unbridled fun.
  9. Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu - Some people absolutely hate this one, and I don't really see it. I actually think this is the most enjoyable Pokemon game since Black and White and, while I miss certain features, the game's streamlining helps it feel new and lets it find it's own identity defined less by mechanics and more by just pure childlike joy.
  10. 428: Shibuya Scramble - 10/10 for uniqueness and the story is ultimately really quite good. The characters are also varying levels of lovable and the soundtrack is surprisingly solid. Where I feel the game falls short is both in its presentation and the amount of time that, ultimately, feels wasted. As a visual novel the game play is also limited, and while that's to be expected from the genre, it still feels a bit claustrophobic when compared to games like Ace Attorney or Zero Escape. Still! A worthwhile gem that has been heavily overlooked outside of a small pocket of ResetEra.
  11. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - In truth, this game would appear MUCH higher on the list, but it doesn't quite feel right to give a remake (no matter how good) a scoring spot on a 2018 list. Still, this is easily one of the greatest games this year and my new favourite in the series. The combat, while less varied than 0, feels more solid to me and I particularly enjoyed the storyline of this one. Majima being a bit of a smaller player was a small price to pay for what is, ultimately, one of the greatest story driven brawlers out there.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Mr. Fantastic - make sure you're using the Ordered List function
Arkeband - make sure your titles are bolded

I'm gonna be pinging a lot of people again this year, aren't I

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
  1. Monster Hunter World - This was Monster Hunter game I ever played. And I had a great time. Especially being able to play with three other friends. I'm looking forward to the expansion.
  2. Bayonetta 1&2 - It's Bayonetta. What's not to like?
  3. Zone Of The Enders Remake - Great game. It brought back so many fond memories.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Just chewed up the game because I was addicted that entire week. Man, what a journey
  2. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - The now second best Yakuza gets better, with continuation in some aspects from 0
  3. Yakuza 6 - Dammit, too much Yakuza thst i forgot thos was 2018 too
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The amount of content they put in here is stunning. 100% and NG+ World of Light
  5. Into The Breach - Still pick it up for a run
  6. Dragon Quest XI - Just a jolly JRPG
  7. God of War - BOY
  8. Astrobot: Rescue Mission - An absolute surprising joy
  9. THE MISSING: JJ Macfiled and The Island of Memories - Beautiful story and fun mechanics. Just wish it worked on high refresh monitors at launch!
  10. Hitman 2 - More of the same, but when that same is so damn good...

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Best open world ever, which alone is worth infinite praise
  2. God of War - Probably best gameplay of the year, but it lacked the impact in the story
  3. Call of Duty Black Ops 4 - The Blackout mode is the most fun I've ever had with friends in multiplayer
  4. Battlefield V - No one makes big battles as beautiful as DICE

Oct 25, 2017
canada
  1. Dragon Quest XI - Absolutely phenomenal JRPG. This RPG really feels like I am on an adventure and I have loved every minute of my playtime. The vignettes are all very well thought out and bring character to this world.
  2. Dragon Ball Fighterz - This is a dream come true for fans of fighting games and DBZ. While some mechanics I may not fully enjoy, I enjoy the game enough to have put 600hrs into and 4500 matches.
  3. Hitman 2 - It is like Hitman 1, but better
  4. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate - Everyone is here! Including the Queen B herself, Bayonetta.
  5. Monster Hunter World - absolutely magical world, while my time with it isnt large, the time spent has been amazing.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
  1. God of War - Never would've imagined a God of War having an emotional impact, but here we are.
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Best open world since The Witcher 3.
  3. Astro Bot Rescue Mission - I'm not really a fan of the platforming genre, so I was surprised when I loved this game as much as I did.
  4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country - Best dlc/expansion I played this year.
  5. Moss - Really enjoyed the adventure with Quill and can't wait for the next game.
  6. Marvel's Spider-Man - Another amazing game from Insomniac. Nothing this year felt as good as swinging around NYC.
  7. Detroit: Become Human - Best narrative adventure game ever and I can't wait to see what Quantic Dream does next.
  8. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Kiryu is such an amazing character and after every entry I grow to care more about him and his struggles.
  9. Assassins Creed Odyssey - Not as good as Origins, but still one of the best games this year.
  10. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - Really hoping we get more entries in the Witcher series after playing this game. I already adored the series, but playing as someone other then Geralt for more then 30 minutes really opened up my eyes on the vastness of the series.
Would also like to say how much I enjoyed Far Cry 5, Dragon Quest 11, Forza Horizon 4, and MLB The Show 18. I'm sure I'm also forgetting other games I enjoyed from this year.

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Lemme smash. Never been a huge Smash fan, but this one is actually fun to play in between. Perfect fit for the Switch.
  2. God of War - I liked the aspect of the "journey". It kept me going even at, times I found gameplay quite repetitive and boring.

Those are the 2018 games I played in 2018.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. God of War - One of the best franchise reinventions I've ever played and overall one of my favourite games of all time. The story, gameplay, graphics and music all blend together so well. Truly a masterpiece and a once in a lifetime experience. Kratos redeemed!
  2. Marvel's Spiderman - Honestly this game is just an absolute blast to play. Whether you're swinging across the city or beating up bad guys I always seem to have a smile on my face. The open world structure and side missions may be a bit repetitive, however the games experience is heightened with its great soundtrack, incredible visuals and satisfying traversal/combat.
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Probably one of the most immersive experience/game I've ever played. When you're slowing trotting along with your horse taking in the scenery as the slow/soothing music plays in the background you really do end up getting lost in this world. I did have issues with the controls at times and felt that I was fighting with the game, which really did hamper my experience. Nonetheless it did have great and memorable characters, beautiful graphics and one of the most impressive open worlds to date.
  4. Shadow of the Colossus - It honestly blows my mind this game was made so long ago. It puts open world games nowadays to shame, simply because of the fact that I feel it does a great job of making you want to explore the game world just for the sake of exploring rather than having you do it to find some meaningless collectible. The grand battles with the collosi are extremely cool as well and the sense of scale is outstanding.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
There weren't very many games I played this year that I'd want to put in a list like this (I actually didn't play many games at all), but I'll list what I can.
  1. Celeste - This is by far the best game of the year for me, and arguably the best platformer I've ever played. Everything is tightly and expertly designed, and the platforming is challenging, yet very fair in its precision. The narrative, characters, and overall themes of anxiety and depression hit a particular note with me, and made a huge impact as I played and finished the story. This game's soundtrack is particularly great as well, with great tracks that I even listen to in my car (and for that, Lena Raine deserves recognition). Celeste also has loads of remixes and additional content for those hungry for more challenges. I can't think of another game that stood out to me more than Celeste did.
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - This is truly the Ultimate Smash Bros. game, and is well deserving of its moniker. The roster alone is ridiculous, but it also has the most meaty single-player content of all Smash games, and just feels so good to play. The increased game speed truly improves the game feel of Smash too, and it does so in a way that doesn't feel inaccessible. I imagine my friends and I will play this one for a long time to come.
  3. Dead Cells - I was scared of rogue-likes and rogue-lites for a very long time (and still am scared of most of them), but Dead Cells approaches the concept in a way that is actually quite a bit of fun. Each run doesn't feel like an insurmountable challenge because the way the character controls is so fluid, and combat is incredibly fast for an action platformer of its kind. The different weapons and skills you can experiment with offer variety on each run depending on what you get, and each run can be tackled differently thanks to branching paths. I highly recommend that everyone at least tries this game, it's really worth a go.
  4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna the Golden Country - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a shining example of how to do DLC the right way, and Torna capped it all off with significant improvements to the original game's formula. Gone are the gacha blades, replaced with blades that you can control and change mid-battle to provide advantages, even upon switching. A lot of ancillary activities like cooking and crafting are done at campfires now, making them all far more accessible. Its characters are honestly a lot better as well. I definitely hope that XC3 takes the improvements that this DLC incorporated into the formula, because Torna was absolutely stellar.
  5. Bayonetta 2 - I would love to put this as #1 but I felt it would be unfair to the games that actually came out in 2018, so it goes here. It's just as great of a game as when I first played it, with performance improvements across the board and a very respectable handheld experience (which matches or exceeds that on Wii U). Very solid port, and one of the first games that I would recommend to Switch owners.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
  1. Yakuza 6 - I've absolutely loved playing through the Yakuza series over the last bunch of years. Became attached to the towns, the characters and the charm of these wonderful games. Yakuza 6 perfectly caps off Kiryu's journey. It features one of the best towns in the franchise, Onomichi and it brings the series into this generation with a new, modern engine. The engine does have some kinks to be worked out, but the freedom it allows and the sense of exploration it gave was insurmountable. Can't wait to see what they have for us next.
  2. The Return of the Obra Dinn - Probably the best detective / investigation game I've ever played. You aren't railroaded, but instead you're free to solve the mystery in practically any direction, order or method that you can think of. It's fun, engaging, rewarding and also absolutely gorgeous.
  3. The Missing: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories - Game with the most meaningful message this year. It's a wonderful little story that manages to handle some very serious and sensitive subject matter with a shocking level of grace, insight and empathy. Swery is pretty darn great.
  4. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Rockstar needs to get their labour stuff in order, but I can't ignore that this game delivered me a deeply impactful story. Truthfully, I got bored of the gun fights after the half way point, and I don't think I cared all that much for the "gameplay", but the character interactions in this game were above and beyond. Heading back to your camp and chatting with your pals never got old. I loved how much time was given to flesh out the rather huge cast of characters, whether it was missions you went on with them or just by observing their behaviour at a camp party. I also just really loved Arthur's journey and his journal. The journal was actually probably the best part of the game.
  5. Hollow Knight - I like metroidvanias. This is an excellent metroidvania. It's ginormous, filled with content, characters and diverse areas. It actually has quite a bit of character to its NPCs and atmosphere to its environments. Everything was just a joy to experience. The exploration was handled very well too. It always felt like an expedition, trying to mentally plot the new area without any map, while fearing getting lost or dying. Lovely metroidvania game.
  6. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Even though the series has gotten stronger in almost all aspects since it's release, Yakuza 2 still remains my favourite Yakuza game. The specific narrative beats, characters and final confrontation of the second game resonated with me so much that I don't think the franchise will ever surpass it. So a remake, in Yakuza 6's new "dragon engine" was a dream come true. The game is lovingly recreated. Sotenbori is absolutely stunning and wonderful to explore in first person. It would have scored higher on my list if the original music tracks were left intact though.
  7. Shadow of the Colossus - It's incredible that in 2018 many newcomers got the chance to experience Shadow of the Colossus for the first time. In my opinion it's one of gaming's true masterpieces. Bluepoint delivered a great remake, with improved graphics and quality of life changes, but the soul of the game left intact for us to cherish for years to come.
  8. Donut County - Donut County gave me a strong Katamari vibe, in that it was unique, it provided a new gameplay mechanic that was wildly fun, completely hilarious and full of charm. I loved it and I hope their sales didn't get entirely swallowed up by the sketchy copycat game that rushed out in advance of it.
  9. Celeste - I don't enjoy the precision platformer genre. But the art, the soundtrack and the powerful narrative about mental illness carried this game for me.
  10. Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise - The third best Yakuza game this year.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. God of War - Cleary the GOTY of 2018. The Leviathan Axe is one of the best weapons in videogame history. It feels so good. Gameplay, combat, story, soundtrack, simply everything is amazing in this game.
  2. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - Close Runner up. The best VR game so far.
  3. Spider-Man - The best Spidey game yet. The swinging and traversal in this game feels perfect.
  4. Detroit: Become Human - David Cage's best game yet. The best choice-based game so far.
  5. Shadow of the Colossus - A masterpiece got even better. Bluepoints best work yet.
  6. Guacamelee 2 - Not as good as the first one. But you will still have a blast.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
May we get some clarification on the correct spelling of marvels spiderman?

I see some people using spiderman, some using Spider-Man and then other using spider man. Which is the correct one so that it counts?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Astro Bot Rescue Mission Charming and clever from start to finish, one of the best 3d platfomers in years with superb boss battles, tight controls, catchy music, and integral and smart use of VR. No game made me smile this year as much as Astro Bot.
2. God of War A more than successful rebuild for the franchise, radically changing things while still feeling true to the games roots. Excellent world building, exploration, characters, and solid combat mechanics.
3. Into the Breach Almost more randomized puzzle game than strategy game, fluctuates between making you feel brilliant or an idiot for the moves you make.
4. Marvel's Spider-Man One of the best super hero games to date. Spectacular locomotion, fun combat, and a surprisingly well written and acted story.
5. Monster Hunter World Just an amazingly tight loop of tracking,combat, and upgrading.
6. Beat Saber Completely nails the concept of light saber rhythm game.
You didn't use the Irdered List feature and didn't separate the titles from your comments with a hyphen. I'd edit that post or your votes will be invalidated.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The little things I want represented are still nothing more than spirits (if that), but it's hard to ask for more from this game. Fantastic single-player modes, overloaded with content, and plays so very well.
  2. Celeste - For what it does, it's just about perfection. I will never 100% this game, but that doesn't affect my enjoyment of it.
  3. Kirby Star Allies - Agonizingly close to being one of the best in the series, but just a few things hamper it. Still, yet another example of content galore, complete with near-infinite replayability.
  4. Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - Unexpectedly wonderful. While it may be something of a band-aid for the base game's lackluster campaign mode, it downright over-delivered. Makes me want extra "challenge packs".
  5. Deltarune Chapter 1 - Didn't speak to me like Undertale did, but it was a fun romp. Can only imagine how it'll all be turned on its head when the next chapter arrives.

X. World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth - I've always included WoW expansions in my lists, but I believe this is the first I won't be giving any points to. I know, Blizzard. I know I needed to quit WoW sooner or later. But did ya have to shove me away so hard? Legion suggested that you had learned from past missteps with the likes of Cataclysm and Warlords of Draenor. Battle for Azeroth suggests you don't actually keep your promises. You're offering Classic just in time, I suppose.

Lokoline

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
  1. God of War - I dreamt about this game since I finished GoW3.
  2. Shadow of the Colossus - A remake of one of the best games ever made.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
  1. Tetris Effect - Time-tested gameplay presented through the audiovisual signature of Enhance Games, lending Tetris a sense of spiritual feelgood that, for me, creates the most immediately and lastingly satisfying gaming experience of 2018.
  2. God of War - This game inspired a complete 180 on my disposition toward the God of War franchise. It's a heartfelt reimagining of the series' fundamental tone and characters that feels emotionally resonant while not ditching the appeal of its brutal action gameplay and feeling of adventure. It's a brilliant masterstroke of game design in its own right, but it feels like it earns so much more prestige in my eyes for its dedication to reinventing God of War as a whole. It was a stale series, but now it feels like I'm about as invested in its characters as narrative legends such as The Last of Us.
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Seemingly infinitely customizable and variety-packed game that celebrates an absolutely breathtaking amount of beloved gaming franchises, packs in a ton of its own internal legacy into the features and game design, and expands it in just enough meaningful ways to make it feel like it is genuinely the 'ultimate' form of Smash Bros.
  4. Shadow of the Colossus - Renowned studio Bluepoint Games recreates Shadow of the Colossus in painstakingly, all-new detail without sacrificing the vision of the original release, resulting in a package that feels like it elevates the artistry of Fumito Ueda's 'Shadow of the Colossus' into a game that matches any other modern game in technical prowess and design ambition.
  5. Marvel's Spiderman - Insomniac Games weaves together a Spidey story that taps deeply into the everyman appeal of the legendary Marvel comics character while taking a few wild and shocking creative liberties within its own new wheelhouse of lore that they're spinning for the character. The gameplay itself features much of what we've come to love and expect from Spidey games before, but under Insomniac's supervision, it achieves an overall level of polish and cohesion that's so far been unrivaled, bringing Marvel games back to a gold standard that they've struggled to achieve for years. Taken all together, it's an emotionally punchy Spidey tale married to extremely competent gameplay design that results in a game that Spidey fans have ached for for years, and it's also fun to celebrate Insomniac Games finally getting a critical and commercial break after years of fan-pleasing but largely unrecognized or underappreciated work.
  6. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - This game has prompted my first and perhaps only edit and amendment to my GOTYs. I got it on Christmas Eve, very late in 2018, but even from the short time I've had it, I've already fallen absolutely in love with the game. Of all the various other GOTY nominations and considerations I've combed through since my initial entry, this game honestly stood out first and foremost to me as a game that might appeal to my tastes that I frankly didn't even have on my radar, and I'm always really glad to have a game I love come to me in that way. To provide the meat and potatoes on Monster Boy itself – it's just this near-perfect blend of modern production design and old-school gameplay design that speaks to my own preferences and sensibilities extremely well. It features wonderful high-res 2D artwork that's sprite-based and utilizes an extremely vibrant color palette, it's got a comedic edge to its presentation (such as some of the animations of the characters' sprites) that's super endearing in a very classical slapstick sort of way, the music is extremely well done and feels direct out of the 90's, and it controls responsively and features combat and level design that feels rewarding to more precise gameplay control than most games without veering into highly punishing territory, its combat and exploration feels varied without being overwhelming on almost a moment-to-moment basis once you reach the game's apex a few hours in, and it's got some of the best Metroidvania-style wanderlust that inspires a rewarding sense to backtracking and uncovering further secrets. It came to me by word of mouth, and I figure I should try to sing its laurels, too – this game is fantastic to anyone that still has an appreciation for 8-bit and 16-bit action-platforming games at their finest.
  7. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Dragon Quest XI has nostalgia-evocative gameplay design that feels elegant and streamlined compared to its JRPG peers thanks to its mostly unbending dedication to the series' legacy, feeling breezy and simple in many of the game's exploratory segments and demanding just enough attention and care to strategy in its most tense portions, this game feels classically paced and tempered. Its presentation relies on a vibrance that's not often matched in other games today, and it features a cast of characters that's so charming and mechanically synergetic that they carried my attention and emotional investment from start to finish in satisfying measure. This is a JRPG that feels masterful in evoking the type of tone and charm that got me into the genre as a young kid while wrapping itself in a modern presentation and resonant storytelling that's earned it a sure spot in my top 10 games of 2018!
  8. Forza Horizon 4 - The Forza Horizon series might be one of the most reliably polished game series today that feels unflinchingly dedicated to the player's fun factor. Add in weekly-rotating in-game seasons that drastically change up features of the landscape and demand different driving approaches, framed within a satisfying hybrid of simulation and arcade racing, presented through an extremely capable and visually impressive game engine, and driven by a music-and-automobile festival context that provides an eclectic licensed soundtrack that I'm a huge sucker for, and Forza Horizon seems to always place within my top 10 each year a new installment comes out.
  9. Monster Hunter World - Monster Hunter is a series I've loved since it's North American debut on PS2, but I always understood why it maybe never broke into the mainstream with Western game in its early years – it's a game series that's often demanding of a player's patience due to its various overlapping systems, and its challenging core combat gameplay. It asks players to adapt to a variety of weapons that have substantially different properties, threatening and towering monsters that have many clear advantages over the player, and having to learn how both of those gameplay behaviors intersect to succeed on top of the various crafting and maintenance subsystems present. Monster Hunter World approaches in a post-Dark Souls era where a good deal of gamers have sort of woken up to welcoming challenge into their gameplay, and it makes perfectly sensible streamlining adjustments to its various subsystems that feels far less arcane or tedious to understand and master, and it wraps it all in a shiny new AAA-style presentation that's both gorgeous to behold and functionally applied to expanding on the series' core gameplay – no more microzones in each of the biomes, with more realtime and open-world-esque tracking of monsters… It was a recipe for success for Capcom and the Monster Hunter series, and it paid off for a veteran fan like me while greatly expanding the audience of Monster Hunter, achieving for the first time what might be considered "mainstream recognition," and in my opinion, deservedly so.
  10. SoulCalibur VI - SoulCalibur returned this year feeling just right – 2018 was SoulCalibur's Street Fighter IV moment, where the series made an attempt to feel like a fundamentally desirable SoulCalibur game while introducing a few systems that lend the game a unique feel among the storied franchise. The single player and multiplayer options are generous and robust, and the core gameplay is just as scaleable to low-level and high level play as it's ever been, resulting in a fighting game package that seems to offer about as much breadth as the gold-standard seen in the genre.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
  1. Celeste - I have quite a few grips with this game actually, but still it's my GotY. Nothing else in 2018 made me couldn't it put it down like Celeste, and I'm a complete platforming newbie. The control is extremely tight and responsive, which is rare in western developed games in general. The level design for the most part is brilliant, and the best part is that the game constantly introduces new concepts to players without overwhelming them in the process. It also has a fantastic soundtrack that is always in sync with what is happening on screen.
  2. Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Well someone must vote for it. Best gameplay in the series.
  3. Into the Breach - Hated it at first, but later learned to appreciate the rogue-lite design. Is it just me or the setting and story give a strong Muv-Luv vibe?

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. God of War - A visually arresting and emotionally engrossing reboot of a franchise that had truly gone stale. God of War boasts the most riveting combat in a video game I have ever played.
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Once again Rockstar proves its worth with a pound of gold nuggets, crafting a stunning open world that feels more alive than any other I have ever played. Arthur Morgan is one of the most fully realized anti-heroes to come along in quite some time.
  3. Shadow of the Colossus - The greatest remake of one of the greatest games ever made. This faithful re-envisioning serves to solidify the masterpiece status of Shadow of the Colossus.
  4. Marvel's Spider-man - Probably the best narrative iteration of Spider-man I've experienced in any medium, Spider-man sets the bar for the web-slinger's video game outings going forward. Insomniac hit a home run, laying the foundations for exciting possibities for the franchise.
  5. Detroit: Become Human - Quantic Dream's ambition for narrative choice is at its very peak with Detroit; all roads lead to where your hand guides them. Even though my choices proved to create the worst inevitable outcome for all characters, I wouldn't have my experience any other way. While it treads some thematically shaky ground with a lack of confidence and very on-the-nose moments, the characters prove to be the most endearing part of this well-intentioned story.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Meticulously slow and deliberately takes its time. The viciousness on display makes my stomach crawl but the landscapes and vistas are a joy to behold. The amount of detail and dynamic systems are one of a kind and push the boundaries of what an open-world can encompass, especially on a technical level. Arthur Morgan is my favourite character Rockstar has ever written. The story and his perspective on things are what won me over. There's so much great dialogue to be found here...
  2. God of War - What else can be said about this amazing adventure? Great gameplay changes, fantastic sounds and music. Kratos is back and 'Boy' makes a good companion. I'm happy Sony Santa Monica under Cory Barlog managed to succeed with this story, setting and overall project. It was a tough call between 1 and 2... but I think we can agree the two best games this year featured main characters shouting the word 'boy' in all possible variants.
  3. Detroit: Become Human - The best game from Quantic Dream so far. Lots of branching narratives and great characters (especially 'The Android sent by CyberLife').
  4. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - Not quite completed all of it but from what I've played, it has earned all the praises and is, without a doubt, a standout title for PS VR.
  5. Marvel's Spider-Man - A lot of great moments here by Insomniac and definitely the right studio to handle this kind of IP and project.
  6. A Way Out - It was great to play this couch co-op style with a friend. I hope this kind of implementation of split-screen continues.
  7. Spyro Reignited Trilogy - It's so nice to see Spyro back and the games are still a lot of fun to play. Highly recommended, especially for a younger audience!
  8. Shadow of the Colossus - Always a delight to play and a great remake that (almost) captures the best moments from when I first played it.
  9. Dark Souls: Remastered - Not as good as the other remakes/remasters this year but there's just something about Dark Souls which keeps us coming back. Hey, at least Blighttown runs well!
  10. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - It plays well, it looks and sounds great... now if only the plot and characters were better. Wish I used the time for other titles such as Valkyria Chronicles 4, Dragon Quest 11 or Yakuza Kiwami 2.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Monster Hunter World - I play this for 3 straight months and I enjoyed every minute of the grind
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I love the story and thought it had one of the most well crafted open worlds to date
  3. Marvel's Spiderman -Insomniac really hit it out of the park for me. Being Spiderman is awesome.
  4. God Of War - I really liked it but it felt like a slog a little to often for me.
  5. Celeste - One of the most fun platformers I have played
  6. Dead Cells - So so good.
  7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Sakurai tried to make a game so bad Nintendo would finally free him.
  8. Dragonball FighterZ - I can't believe they actually made a fighting game resemble the show so well.
  9. Frostpunk - Great city builder
  10. Hitman 2 - I really liked Hitman 2016 but there just was not enough to this one to hold me as long.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
1. Monster Hunter World - My first monster hunter game and I loved it . The combat , crafting , monsters , everything about it I fell in love with . I put so many hours into it.

2. Nioh - I recently bought this game because
Team Ninja made it and to me I think they are the kings of combat. I liked the combat and loot I also like how the online is implemented. Overall great game can't wait for 2 .

Last edited:

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The best Smash game ever released, and arguably, the best fighter of all time. Sakurai and co. have outdone themselves... again.
  2. Spyro Reignited Trilogy - Amazingly polished romp down memory lane, an absolutely lovely experience all around.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question regarding a couple of releases that aren't on the spreadsheet. Is Gorogoa eligible? PS4 and XB1 release was May this year. Similarly, Super Robot Wars X released this April - cool to list, even if it isn't on there?

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2: The most accomplished game world ever created and one of the best stories ever told. Yes, gameplay could be improved, but honestly, when everything around the game reaches some of the most insane levels of perfection, it's impossible to nip pick a detail over a thousand that are sublime.
  2. Forza Horizon 4: Speaking of accomplished worlds, Horizon's recreation of Britain feels wonderful to roam and goof around. The cars look great, the setting is stunning, but best of all, the game is just so much fun to play. I've been trying to play other car games, but I just can't. Forza Horizon 4 has ruined every other racing game forever and it's by far the best game Microsoft has produced.
  3. Pokemon Let's Go: I was one of those people who thought that Let's Go was going to be a casual experience to cather to broader audiences. It is still up for debate if this is the case, but ignoring that fact, it is safe to say that it is the best Pokemon game in a while. The graphics are gorgeous, the music is a non-stoping rush of nostalgia and they even trimmed the fat that was so annoying on previous games. It is a blast to play and it's probably the most charming game of the year.
  4. Valkyria Chronicles 4: The best entry in the series since the first one, VK4 feels like a great refinement of what made that initial game great. Yes, the story sucks and the dialogue is crap, but for every anime trope there's some great mechanics to experiment every time on the battlefield.
  5. Call of Duty Black Ops IIII: FUCKING CALL OF DUTY. Just when I tought I was out, they pull me back in. Just one word can describe why the game is here: BLACKOUT
  6. Monster Hunter World: A great coop experience from start to finish. It feels like a constant, living world and I'm glad that it's finally on consoles
  7. Octopath Traveller: I haven't played much of it, but what I've played seems right up my alley. A charming and inventive JRPG.
  8. No Man's Sky: Yes, I mocked the shit outta this game when it launched but holy fuck, this game is GOOD. It's the perfect game for podcasting and the exploration is quite inspiring.
  9. Nier Automata: We Xbox peasants finally got a chance to see what the fuzz was all about, and boy was it justified. Everything about the game is just stunning. It features some of the most snappier mechanics ever put on a videogame. The soundtrack is probably the best written for this generation and beyond. Mr. Taro won a fan on me for whatever he does next.
  10. Sid Meier's Civilization VI: This is the game I'll probably play the most out of this list. I already have 70 hours on it and I won't stop. As Pokemon Let's Go did on the same platform, they trimmed down the fat in order to make a much better experience. It is so much fun to have portable Civ for once, I can wait until I tap 200 hours into this journey. My personal favorite game this year (which is not the same as GOTY. Let's call it the honorary GOTY)

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Going to write the proper formatted list than comments, honorable mentions and exclusions afterwards.

1. God of war.
  2. Dead Cells.
  3. Shadow of the Colossus.
  4. Pinball FX3:Williams table pack 2.
  5. Pinball FX3:Williams table pack 1.
The whys.

God of War- such a weird franchise, casual character action with emphasis on spectacle over complexity, baby's first action game for when I wanted that type of game but not the thought or reflexes needed as for other series. And the douchiest most unlikable protag ever, Kratos being the poster boy for why some games I just skip the cutscenes completely.

And not only did Corey and the team come back with a game that played 10 times better but a Kratos I actually wanted to know more about, and not by redeeming him as much as finally getting the god of blame to admit, just once even that maybe he is the cause of his own problems.

Fixing the gameplay was worth the 60 dollars, getting Kratos to actually take responsibility, that was priceless.

Dead Cells-nothing deep and mysterious here, they just combined the things I liked best about 8&16 but platformers with a lot of the systems and rouge lite aspects of modern day indie games, all wrapped up in a beautifully animated coat.

SOTC-It's shadow, one of my all time games, but actually looking and performing the way it was imagined but didn't at release.

Williams Pinball Pack 2-when zen picked up the license after farsight lost it I was worried, but my fears were not realized, they did it justice with more realistic physics and the option to switch between original art and zen animation and effects on the fly. With Attack from Mars and black rose, two of my all time favorites it didn't matter that the stinker Party Zone was there, already put more time into these than lots of things I played this year and it dropped this month. Then again pinball is very important to me and I was hyped for this the way others were for RDR2.

Williams table pack 1-This had High Speed, Medieval Madness and Free fish tales, the obligatory stinker being Junk Yard. Pretty much the same reasons as above. Seperate because they were different releases and each table is a game in itself, it's not like two parts of one DLC. The order of my votes based on table preferences.

Honorable mentions: Iconclasts and OnRush. Iconclasts was good just not good enough. I usually average 5 games because I don't believe in filling out 10 unless you played 10 that deserved it, I will never vote to fill spots. And it was good enough for me to think about it while compiling my list but not best of the year good.

And as mulch as I love OnRush (and I don't hold it flopping against it, it's game of the year, not most popular or successful) it has way too many issues especially with its online for me to seriously consider it.

Omissions: RDR2 and Spider-Man. Didn't play either so I can't vote for them, but they will get votes and we're two of the biggest games so I felt I needed to say something. RDR2 I may play eventually but between bouncing off the first, how I feel about R* since GTA5, and things I have heard I am not sure if it would have made my list anyways. Spidey I know would but I cannot vote for what I have not played, being poor I am waiting for a price dropped complete edition. But I am sure it would be 2 or 3 if I had.

On to the tallys, will keep up with the thread and cannot wait to see others choices, especially those like me with some oddballs.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Jamix012 Your God of War for GOTY vote will go to waste if you don't properly format your post. How it's done properly is explained in the OP.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Beat Saber - Sword-dancing to great music on PCVR, I've never had more fun playing a video game in my almost 40 years.
  2. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - A lovely platformer that utilizes a lot of VR innovations to amazing effect.
  3. Two Point Hospital - A feel-good strategy game from the past. You don't get style like this anymore.
  4. BattleTech - These tactics are a blast, and I'm always a sucker for some great mech combat.
  5. Kingdom Come: Deliverance - The most immersive RPG I've ever played. I never thought I'd feel about another RPG how I felt about Morrowind again.
  6. Frostpunk - A terrifying yet optimistic survival horror strategy game. Beautifully realized. It captures my imagination.
  7. Octopath Traveler - Incredibly addictive combat mechanics and a fun visual style.
  8. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The best Smash since Melee. So many fighters.
  9. Battlefield V - The best playing Battlefield since 1942. Heralds a new age of raytracing, and looks stunning doing it.
  10. Return of the Obra Dinn - Kept me interested until the end. I love how different it was.
  11. Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Satisfying melee combat, and it makes Warhammer interesting to me.
  12. Hitman 2 - It's more Hitman at this point, but they are still going strong with the formula.

I lost my WIP GOTY list but this will do. One title I had, Vox Machinae, isn't eligible, but that's not really a huge deal.

The only titles that I believe could rank in my top 10 that I didn't get a chance to play were RDR2 (waiting for potential PC version), and Tetris Effect (which I ordered but it hasn't arrived yet).

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
  1. God of War – One of the greatest games of all time. Combat was bliss. Amazing story, character development, atmosphere, lore, and just enough suspense for the rest of the journey via sequels. Take a bow SSM!
  2. Spider-man – Honestly didn't expect to love the traversal this much in this game. They essentially nailed it. Combined that with some amazing voice acting, fun (yet somewhat predictable) story, extremely satisfying combat, you have one of the greatest games of the year
  3. Detroit: Become Human - Not a game without faults but Detroit has one of the best branching choose your adventure type gameplay systems of this gen. Situations can change based on your actions and I loved how you can go and see how the branching decision making affected the final outcome. Add Amazing voice acting plus one of the best OSTs of the year makes this one of the best of the year for me.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Just Shapes & Beats - This game blew my mind. I felt more emotionally attached to a featureless blue square than I have to any other protagonist this year. The story mode is awesome, and I don't mean that as a generic superlative. It is awesome. I was left in awe at how clever some of these levels are and how they translate what otherwise could be just 'another electronic/chip song' into a harrowing and memorable ordeal. Throw in some of the most engaging yet simple core gameplay I've ever played and it's an easy GOTY for me. In my Top 5 of all time.
  2. Monster Hunter World - A spectacular game, and a great reboot of the franchise for a fresh audience. This game flows into itself so well and if you ever find yourself tiring of the grind there's a dozen other weapons to try and different team compositions to look into. This game tailors to you and allows you to tweak the experience to your choosing.
  3. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - The hallmark of quality VR titles. Easily one of the best 3D platformers in a decade (Mario Odyssey doesn't hold a candle) and one that is so deft with its design choices in a way that makes VR both exciting and approachable. Bring on the sequels, couldn't get enough of this.
  4. Celeste - An absolutely beautiful game and one that deserves all the recognition it can. Brutal but fair, and the storytelling reinforcing the 'overcoming insurmountable odds' feeling makes the whole package all the sweeter. Throw in one of the best soundtracks of the year and you've got a winner.
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - How can you not? It's the best Smash game of all time (albeit with some controller issues and so-so online) It's everything I could ever want in a fighting game. I also unabashedly love Spirits and the entirety of World of Light. It was so easy to find the motivation to 100% it which even for games I adore (like those above) I haven't managed to do.
  6. Florence - Wonderful short story with some of the best mechanics-as-metaphor in games.
  7. Into The Breach - Walks that fine line of random generation, permadeath and carried rewards. Masterful execution of a robust strategy system.
  8. Octopath Traveler - An amazing art style, superb combat system and stellar music. There's not much to dislike if you are a fan of turn based JRPG's. Simple storylines hold it back but don't drag it down.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - I felt like I was a kid again playing this.
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - A true masterpiece, methodical controls and all.
  3. God of War - Didn't see this coming at all after the PS3 games. Surprise of the year.
  4. Monster Hunter: World - Exactly what I've been dying to see from this series for years.
  5. Dead Cells - First roguelike I put any real time into. Very fun, satisfying combat.
  6. Diablo III: Eternal Collection - 2018's 2012 GOTY. 250+ hours on Switch so far.
  7. Cosmic Star Heroine - If you own a Switch and didn't buy this, you're a soulless monster.
  8. Marvel's Spider-Man - Traversal was fun enough that I gave the heavy Ubisofting a pass.
  9. Dragon Quest Builders - Just enough direction to make Minecraft engaging for me.
  10. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - This might end up being higher before the cutoff. Maybe.

I'm gonna be pinging a lot of people again this year, aren't I
With voting rules this strict, you should probably have a BBcode template in the OP.

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
1. God of War - Honestly the only certain spot in this list. Sony's best game in years and, for 2018, a masterpiece in gameplay, tech and a great step in the right direction for the series
2. Mega Man 11 - I was sceptical due to the talk of a downgraded soundtrack but don't let me be talked into such things again. A masterful platformer worthy of the series name and legacy.
3. Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu - The simplicity actually enhanced the game experience for me. My favourite game in the series since Black and White.
4. Detroit: Become Human - A controversial game, but ultimately it finally feels like a game almost gets the "choose your own adventure" format right. Key word being "almost." Still, a fantastic experience for the most part.

And Arkeband

Fix your posts or they won't count

Status
Not open for further replies.