• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
  1. Marvel's SpiderMan; One of the shorter games I played this year, but no single game grabbed me like Spider-Man did for that one weekend. Gloriously addictive and with a great Story and Amazing Voice acting, I never expected it to be THAT good. It's probably my first Western GOTY in 10+ years which says a lot too. I loved it.
  2. Octopath Traveler; Speaking of games that grabbed me, this was the closest to Spidey in having that effect. 60 hours and the really fun battle system never got old. Probably has the best OST of the year to boot and seeing the lore being pieced together for the final dungeon was something I enjoyed.
  3. Bayonetta 2; Like many people last gen, I didn't get a Wii U but really wanted to play this game. When I heard it was being ported to Switch, my decision to get one felt even more justified. And after playing it that feeling increased even more. The main story is one hell of a romp and it had just enough content outside of the main story to keep me very occupied.
  4. God of War; I could tell from all the reviews, all the praise that this game would be special and for sure it is. God of War games always had very good but not spectacular combat in my eye. But the decision to go with a different approach here was one I appreciated very much. The hits stun, sparks and effects are probably the best in a game this year and it all adds to very satisfying combat. Only thing I didn't like were all the loot and RPG like stuff.
  5. Hollow Knight; I kinda feel bad for getting this using my gold Nintendo points when it was on sale for $10. This game is worth SO much more and after seeing it recommended so much, playing it made me understand why. It's a very special content filled game, and like OT and Spidey is highly addictive. Probably had my favourite story out of all the games of my list too, I really enjoy the way of delivering story content that it took.
  6. SoulCalibur VI; I love Fighting games and try by all means to try as many as possible, this year alone I've bought SFV, DBFZ and Smash. And while all these were fun in their own right, Soulcalibur VI is the one I really really got into. The freedom of movement is really great here and there's so many sub systems at hand (lethal hits are my fave) that make for super satisfying moments. This probably cements me as a 3D fighter person and it makes me kinda eager to try DOA6
  7. Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight; I'll put my overall thoughts on the endless night collection here as honestly that's how it should be bought and I never played P4D. These dancing games are pretty bad value for money and sometimes have bad rhythm charts. But once you get into the flow in a lot of the songs, you find yourself jamming as you're playing. Plus more persona fan service is never a bad thing. P3D has by far the strongest track selection with some amazing remixes, Time, Way of Life, Light the Fire Up in the night...the tracks are really great. P4D has a fun story mode, but the charts and track selection feel kind of weak at times. Yu ended up getting all the good songs though and that's good in my book. P5D has the weakest track selection, but the few remixes there I enjoy are damn amazing. Beneath the Mask is probably my fave or 2nd fave remix in all these games. The charts on the other hand are easily the hardest for me and that gives P5D a very interesting feel in comparison. Charts like Price end up being amazing as a result.
  8. Persona 4: Dancing All Night; See above.
  9. Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight; See above.
  10. Super Robot Wars X; Much like last year I can never NOT enjoy Super Robot War, especially in English. I didn't like this one as much as last year because I don't really like the protags mech but the magical world plot is cool for once and seeing a modern day SRW MazinKaiser and Hi-Nu Gundam was the thing of my dreams.
All things considered, 2018 is kinda weaker than 2017 for me in a way. Quality wise the best in 2017 made my overall all time list where I doubt I'd say the same for anything in 2018. Quantity wise though it feels like I've had way more consistently good things to play compared to 2017 which was very frontloaded. 2019 looks to be even better than 2018 but Its looking frontloaded as well unfortunately. Hopefully we get some confirmations for the 2nd half of the year.

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2018! You vote receipt is available here.**

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2018! You vote receipt is available here.**

Last edited by a moderator:

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Marvel's Spiderman - Hands down the best videogame this year, everything was perfect.
  2. God of War - Almost tied to first place, God of War 7 is a great sequel/semi-reboot only hindered by pointless armor system and recycled troll-boss.
  3. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - We finally got the True Castlevania 4 for the NES, it's glorious. Finished it about 7 times in a row to see all endings.
  4. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - Great ending to Kiryu's saga.
  5. Minit - Minimalistic in all approaches but still has a ton of heart.
  6. Destiny 2: Forsaken - A big patch to save destiny (again). Playing it every week proves that it does something right.
  7. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - I already thought Origins was great but then was worried Ubisoft would start milking the franchise again with mediocre sequels. But oh how wrong i was, it's the best AC since AC4 and instant top-3 franchise material.
  8. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Amazing visuals, voiceacting and storytelling. Hindered by the feeling of going to work instead of enjoying a videogame.
  9. Celeste - The Super Meatboy 2 we never got (yet)
  10. Detroit: Become Human - Best game from Quantic Dream hands down. Great variation in stories and truly does have that "so what happened in your game?" effect.
  11. Beat Saber - Best VR game of 2018. Haven't had enough time with it to give more points. Is doing a rhythm game revival all on it's own.
  12. Call of Cthulhu - Haven't had enough time with it to give more points. Amazing atmosphere.
  13. Spacehulk Tactics - Haven't had enough time with it to give more points. Solid WH40K title.
  14. Return of the Obra Dinn - Haven't had enough time with it to give more points. The amazing visuals and murdermystery mechanics.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[1]Sea of Thieves - This has slowly turned into one of my favourite games ever, never mind this year. Rare have found magic in a bottle and it's unlike anything else on the market.
[2] Forza Horizon 4 -
[3] Red Dead Redemption 2 -
[4] Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice -
[5] Assassins Creed Odyssey -
[6] Ashen -
[7] Shadow of the Tomb Raider -
[8] A Way Out -
[9] Below -
[*10] Strange Brigade -

Last edited:

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Yakuza 6: the Song of Life - Best Yakuza for me. Moving to dragon engine really paid off. Aside from some flickering, the game looks amazing. I also really like Onomichi and some mini games addition like the bar chat and baseball.
  2. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - really enjoyed it, a good old traditional JRPG with modern paint.
  3. 428: Shibuya Scramble - Didn't expect to like the game this much, binge the game so hard, because the story always keeps you wondering what happens next.
  4. Monster Hunter World - the first Monster Hunter I really got into.
  5. Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - Palate cleanser JRPG. Charming artstyle, simple story, tons of busywork due to the kingdom building, and very smooth to play.
  6. Detroit: Become Human - Very much invested in Connor and Kara. It's also amazing how many branching paths they included in the game. The only game of its kind that actually delivered on its promise.
  7. God of War - Very solid game, fun to play, good soundtracks, just wish it has more enemy varieties.
  8. Red Dead Redemption II - Too much focus on animation and "realism", but it delivered in presentation and narrative fronts.
  9. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - It's a Yakuza game, it's fun.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
  1. Deltarune Chapter 1 - Feels a little lame to put a first chapter of something as my top pick, but it feels like a complete enough story, and it really is the favourite new release I played all year. It's as creative as its predecessor, fun new characters, and filled that void that Undertale left. I'll be honest though. Had I known this was only the first chapter, I might have ignored it and waited until the whole thing came out. Felt nice though to see everyone enjoy this together though. Certainly different from Undertale's lonely launch.
  2. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - Editing my post just because the game deserves its recognition. Was never really into the Wonder Boy series all that much aside from 4, so I was hesitant to pick it up. The non-stop recommendations of people whose tastes lined up with mine made me take the plunge and I'm so glad I did. Fantastic music, great moveset, and levels that make beautiful use of it all. I don't really agree with the game's hit detection, but you can used to its quirks quickly enough. It's hard to put down once you get into the groove.
  3. Iconoclasts - Been waiting for this for like seven years, but it was worth the wait. It puts its characters front and centre, and has a strong enough gimmick that easily carried the game to the end. It's gorgeous pixel art doesn't hurt either.
  4. Octopath Traveller - It's basically a secret SaGa game, with a really enjoyable battle system. Simple and formulaic at times in its structure, but I adored its combat system and cast so much that it didn't bother me. The game gave you so many options to tackle its situations, and most of the things I tried ended up being viable. After a lot of experimenting, you'll start noticing how many exploits are possible, and stumbling on those feels rewarding. It was the right game at the right time.
  5. 428: Shibuya Scramble - Visual Novel games usually don't have a lot to offer beyond its writing, and 428's timeline and multi-protagonist gimmicks have been done before, but its implementation feels unique and engaging enough that it's hard to put down. You'll want to push and prod at every branch to see where its butterfly effects leads.
  6. Yakuza 0 - I was a little hesitant to pick this one up. I've tried the franchise before, and wasn't super into it. Saw it pop up on Steam for relatively cheap though, so I figured I might as well give it a whirl. As soon as I started playing, that worry only increased, because the series seemed to have changed very little since the PS2 era. I stuck with it though, and I'm glad I did. As soon as the story gets its claws into you, a lot of its idiosyncrasies start to make sense. It also managed to do a prequel successfully, which I typically don't like.
  7. The Missing: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories - When I saw the first screenshot of this game, I was pretty sure I was never going to play this. Looked grody, and the theme of maiming women put me off. After release though, a couple of people started bugging me to play it. I had to wait a while to actually do it, since the EU release was put off, but I'm very glad I played it. A shocking number of games suffer from ludonarrative dissonance, so it was surprising to see a game flex in this field, where everything just feels part of a cohesive work.
  8. Hollow Knight - It's a cliché to call something Souls-like at this point, but it's fitting here. You have this dark and oppressive, connected world, and you're going to have to piece a lot of its narrative together yourself, as the game isn't going to deliver it to you on a platter. The insect theme provides an aesthetic that can easily switch between terrifying and oddly adorable. I especially like its take on maps, making it one of the few games that actually contribute to its genre, rather than just take from it. It's a little hard and tedious at times, but that's more to my lack of skill than anything else I presume.
  9. Tetris Effect - Only really played it for a day, but it's one of those games can put you in a trance and make the hours melt away. I usually prefer my Tetris pure, without T-spins and insta-drops and the like, because it kind of changes the nature of the game, but at the end of the day it still works. Didn't play in VR, as I can't do VR.
  10. Megaman 11 - Complicated feelings about this one. Had a good time with it for the regular stages, but as soon as I got to the Wily ones, I kind of wanted it to be over already. I think the core gimmick of the Gears are to blame, as I didn't really want to use it, but not using it just puts you at a massive disadvantage. Even it's far from my favourite Mega Man, I can't hate on the blue bomber too much.
On the whole, this wasn't that great of a year for me in terms of video games. Most of the bigger releases didn't do it for me, and all of them were long. I tried to alternate between 2018 games and stuff from my backlog, and if I made my actual top 10 of the stuff I've played this year, I'm not sure if even half of my current list would survive. There's still a bunch I want to play from this year, but they released too late in the year for me to be able to slot them in still. I'll be watching people's lists like a hawk for recommendations though.

*edit*
Been playing some of the 2018 games I had missed based on recommendations, and I just had to alter my list.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Everyone Is Here! After what felt to me as the weakest entry in the Smash Bros. series (Smash 4), into which I didn't invest all that much time, and which kind of burnt me out while trying to complete the single player content, Ultimate is refreshing. Most of the newcomers were great choices, holy shit all of those stages, all of this music, I actually do enjoy how clever some of the spirit fights are even though most of them can be cheesed easily, but what stands out to me the most is the unique classic modes (though I wish there were more boss fights). This is easily the best Smash Bros. game already, and I can see myself playing this on and off for many many years to come.
  2. CrossCode - This was one of those games I was genuinely surprised by. Someone here on Era mentioned it was a great game, so I went to check it out on Steam, realized I owned it (probably from some bundle) just days before it released properly, and tried it out. I didn't expect liking it as much as I did! This game is a love letter to the ARPGs of the SNES and PS1 days, games like Terranigma and Secret of Mana, and it channels from .hack and Phantasy Star Online, but it still is completely its own thing. The gameplay - especially the combat - is super engaging. The story is engrossing. The music and pixel art are gorgeous. And there is a lot of thought that went into the mechanics and puzzles in this game, making it easily one of my GOTY. And I'm so, SO looking forward to whatever else the devs have in store for this.
  3. Into The Breach - Chess meets Mechas. This was an excellent game with so much cool stuff going on. Every map turned into a puzzle, and the game turned really devious on higher difficulties and with certain suboptimal team compositions. I think my only gripe with it is that there is one island that is so much more difficult than the others that it's always the best choice to skip it unless you're doing an all-island run.
  4. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - When IGA announced on his Kickstarter that one of the stretch goals was an "8-Bit side adventure", I expected it to be some little game with like 3 stages. Instead, we got an absolutely amazing platformer. It wears its inspiration - Castlevania 3 - on its sleeve for certain, but it still does its own thing. Plus one of the characters plays like Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden, which is pretty fun, too.
  5. The Messenger - Wow, what a surprise this game was. I didn't expect too much from it, just some boring ol' Ninja Gaiden clone. I knew about the 8/16-Bit gimmick (it is part of the game's elevator pitch after all). I thought the game's self-awareness was funny, but then it threw twist after twist after twist at the player, and there was so much cute attention to detail in the characters and bosses that it really was a blast to play. It may not have been flawless, and the fast travel turned out to be a bit iffy because of the level structure, but the first half of the game is extremely good, and the second half still is quite solid.
  6. Subnautica - Hey now, it was only in Early Access until early 2018, so it still counts! Subnautica is probably the best survival game I've ever played. Normally, I actually really don't like survival games, because you're constantly having to babysit your character's bodily needs to the point where you can't actually progress through the game, which is what bothers me the most. Subnautica does this too, kind of, but you get an easy source of food very early on into the game, and you can even grow it on your big submarine once you manage to build one, making exploring the absolutely gorgeous and frightening world of Subnautica simple enough. The story is interesting enough, and even though it's not its strong suit perhaps, the exploration more than makes up for it.
  7. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - The games from here on out will be a bit shorter in thoughts because I don't remember them as vividly. Which isn't to say they're forgettable, just not as memorable as the ones above. I kind of have to put this on here, don't I. I'm so glad the Wonder Boy remake last year turned out to be a success, because otherwise I may not have been putting much of a stake into it. It fulfills pretty much all of the beats of a Wonder Boy game, and then some, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. Not at the top of my list because it didn't do anything amazing, but it's still a great game.
  8. Megaman 11 - This is the game Mighty No. 9 should have been, isn't it? I'm glad Capcom has finally swallowed their pride about Inafune's departure and decided to pick up development of the series again. This game is a solid installment to the franchise, and if this is a sign of things to come with the franchise, then I'm optimistic about it.
  9. Deltarune Chapter 1 - It's a demo, but still worth playing and giving us a couple of hours worth of gameplay and some fan service for Undertale fans? Sure, why not! I do enjoy the combat system, and I also like that early on, you have to protect the enemies from one of your party members who likes to murderize things. And the power of fluffy boys shines within you.
  10. Iconoclasts - What a fun little Metroidvania. Fun, fluid gameplay and devious puzzles packaged in beautiful graphics. I don't recall much about playing this game since it was so early in the year, but I recall liking it a lot and having to think about some of the puzzles in this. I also really liked the story!
  11. FOX n FORESTS - It's an adorable game which reminded me a lot of those mascot platformers in the 90s. Some clever mechanics with the seasons thing, too. Again, some gorgeous pixel art in this. I guess I have a thing for games with good pixel art, huh.
  12. Kirby Star Allies - This was a solid game, and it shone even more with all of the DLC characters being from past games and what have you. I also really like the implications of the plot - the newer Kirby games tying into each other with almost Eldritch storylines is kind of amazing. But it falls short of being as good as it could have been, as it feels like it was simply too short. There wasn't all that much to do in this game, and in the end, it didn't feel as varied as other Kirby games did.

Honourable mentions go out to Sonic Mania Plus, Dead Cells and La Mulana 2.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
  1. 428: Shibuya Scramble - No other game got as much of a reaction out of me this year; I was creeped out, I laughed my ass off, I was intrigued and had to know what happens next, I loved the characters to no end (including the supporting cast with smaller roles). I was just so thoroughly entertained by 428, top to bottom, and thats enough for me to give it my nod for overall game of the year.
  2. God of War - An absolute masterclass of game design. Yes, its not without its flaws (egregious boss reuse, I'm looking at you), but it gets so many damn things right that its impossible to deny. Like Resident Evil 4 before it, God of War just gets so many of the little things right, making every minute you spend playing it super satisfying. The polish is just off the charts.
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - I'm a fighting game veteran, but a Smash noob: I've only ever dabbled in Melee and Brawl (the latter on the 3DS only). But even to my uneducated eyes, I can recognize that Masahiro Sakurai has achieved something monumental. Smash Ultimate is a celebration of gaming, with an incredible soundtrack and a seemingly endless well of content. I'll never be elite at this game, but the beauty of it is that I don't have to be to get my money's worth and more.
  4. Tetris Effect - Tetsuya Mizuguchi's talents applied to something as classic as Tetris had a really, really high chance of being good, and the end result exceeded all my expectations. The feel of the fantastic music playing perfectly in sync with your game movement is just incredible, and the perfect way to get my friends who just can't "click" with Lumines to understand why the Miz's games are so great.
  5. Celeste - The absolute greatest platformer in a year packed with greats (I don't think its better than Hollow Knight, but that technically didnt release this year - only the NSW version did). By the end of the game, you'll be pulling off amazing platforming feats you wouldn't dream you were capable of when the game began like they were nothing.
  6. Dragon Quest XI - While I feel the open world felt a little too empty for my tastes, thats about the only complaint I can raise against this phenomenal old school RPG (well, aside from Sugiyama). The writing is tremendous, and there's just so much to do!
  7. Dead Cells - I've been playing Dead Cells since it was in Steam Early Access, but it was the 1.0 release (and the portability of the Switch) that pushed me to play all the way through. Incredibly addictive, and accomodates a whole lot of play styles. It's nice that they don't explain a whole lot, allowing you to feel the joy of discovering things on your own.
  8. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - The biggest surprise of the year, for me. I've been on and off with AC games in recent years (I skipped Origins completely), and playing Odyssey with no previous exposure to the series' new action RPG style was a revelation. Kassandra is a fantastic protagonist, she's great company for the many hours I've spent (and am still to spend) exploring this massive world. It even made me appreciate sailing! I fucking hate sailing!
  9. Octopath Traveler - Not the most balanced game, structurally - some paths have really great plots, while others crib from RPG Tropes 101. But the dialogue is uniformly outstanding - every NPC has its own backstory you can dig into, with often hilarious text. The combat system is also really great - an evolved version of Bravely Default's, with an added emphasis on weakness targeting (Persona/SMT style).
  10. Guacamelee 2 - Far too many people slept on Guac 2, myself included. Maybe because on the surface, it reads as a lot more of the same? Well, yeah, it pretty much is more of the same - but since the original was so great, more and better isn't a bad thing. I've beaten the game and am working through the final "dungeon" I need to unlock the good ending; when I pull this off (and I will) it will be, without a doubt, the hardest gaming related thing I've done in years. But it hurts so goood.
  11. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - Kaz's swan song didn't quite make the cut - the combat in the new engine felt like it cut too many corners, and only began feeling relatively solid when you unlocked a lot of stuff. Everything else was great though, and I enjoyed the ride while it lasted.
  12. Soul Calibur VI - SC6 is my favorite series entry since SC2, and in a year with less ringers it likely would have made the top ten. Really fantastic fighting game, with a load of single player content (which I love). Plus, 2B just dropped the other day and she feels phenomenal - any game that references NieR Automata is fine in my book.
  13. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - It's been so long since I played a legit Castlevania (and yes, this is a Castlevania)! The gameplay is super tight (great bosses!) and the multiple "paths" through the game via character combinations adds replayability. Also, this game right here has phenomenal Yamane music - if you're any kind of CV stan, you should buy this immediately.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Return of the Obra Dinn - I love a good logic puzzle, and Obra Dinn manages to provide enough information to progress while allowing for a few assumptions to ease you through the trickier spots. It helps that the story had just enough twists and characterisation to keep my interest enough to basically play the game in one sitting.
  2. Tetris Effect - I have long counted Tetris and Rez among my favourite video games of all time, and with Tetris Effect Mizoguchi has managed to combine them in such a way that I can see myself playing this regularly until long after the PS5 is released. This is the game that finally pushed me to get PSVR and I do not regret it.
  3. Octopath Traveler - Octopath Traveler feels like one of the freshest SNES JRPGs released ever. The audio and graphical design are wonderful, and the game recognises and encourages you to play around and break the systems as much as possible to beat some of the harder challenges.
  4. Hitman 2 - I had not played a Hitman game before the 2016 game, but the intricate puzzle box design hooked me pretty much immediately. There's so much to see and do in each level, and so many ways to accomplish your goals, that I find it difficult to put this game down. Rolling in all the levels from the first game was just icing on the cake here.
  5. 428: Shibuya Scramble - One of the finest visual novels I've ever played, with great writing, an incredible style thanks to the way it was filmed, and plenty of goofy secrets. Just don't watch Canaan afterwards. Canaan is garbage.
  6. Into The Breach - An excellent bite-sized strategy game that encourages you to try different approaches through the squad system and also manages to impart a lot of character with some very sparse writing.
  7. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - After getting a PSVR, this was the game that had received the most hype as "A game that has to be played in VR" and I do not feel misled. Astro Bot manages to make the player feel like an active participant in the game in a way I haven't experienced before, and the wonderful charm of everything else reminds me of childhood platform games in a way that only Mario otherwise manages.
  8. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - I'm definitely someone who buys every Smash game only to mostly play single player, and Ultimate has really managed to knock it out of the park in this regard. Spirits mode introduces a number of interesting challenges and amusing concepts based on applying rulesets and colours to the expansive roster, and I'm still enjoying trying out all the characters.
  9. Marvel's Spiderman - I've always loved Spider-man and this feels like a game that just understands what his appeal is. By managing to make it feel like a game about Peter almost as much as Spider-man, the writing and acting on display here is top-notch.
  10. Valkyria Chronicles 4 - A fine return to form for the Valkyria Chronicles series, even if Raz is a nob.
  11. Yoku's Island Express - Metroidvania pinball is one of the best video game ideas in years, and Yoku's Island express managed to keep that interesting for just about the right amount of time while also having some utterly charming characters and music.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
  1. God of War - I have tried multiple God of War games in the past, but couldn't get into them. What makes this God of War so special is that it didn't just make me like a God of War game for the first time, but it also absolutely blew me away. What Sony Santa Monica delivered here is an absolute masterpiece, it combines great gameplay with an amazing story in such a good way I have never experienced before.
  2. Celeste - One of, if not, the best Indie game I have ever played. When you look at it you might think it's just a regular 2D platformer, but this game offers way more than that. It's incredibly challenging and engaging, and the story is very touching as well. All these aspects combined make this a very special game, like, who expects a great story in a 2D platformer? I did not, so that was a nice surprise. And don't get me started on the soundtrack which is also amazing.
  3. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - I have to confess, I haven't finished this game yet, I am currently 50 hours into this but I can safely say this game deserves the number 3 spot on my list. At first I thought it would just be a regular JRPG, boy was I wrong. This game has a wonderful story, great characters, amazing art style and monster design, and the soundtrack is great aswell (if you're playing on PC that is). I can't wait to see the conclusion to this game, hopefully soon to make even a better point as to why this game deserves this spot.
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Not much to say about this one to be honest. I love Smash and this is the best and most complete one yet, it feels really good to play and there is a ton of content to chose from. Probably my favorite fighting game ever.
  5. Marvel's Spider-Man - A Spider-Man game by a AAA studio that made some of the best games ever? What could go wrong? Well, nothing really. This game is amazing, the sense of scale when you roam through the city as Spider-Man feels great and the story is also very well done, can't wait for the sequel!
  6. Forza Horizon 4 - Absolute masterclass on how to perfectly create an open-world racing game. It combines great racing mechanics with a huge amount of content to explore in an amazing looking recreation of Britain.
  7. Monster Hunter World - Shows how great a Monster Hunter game can be with a higher budget. The maps you get to explore in this game look gorgeous as do the monsters. It feels super satisfying to kill beasts in this game and it might be my favorite game in the series, only wish there would be more content and more weapon variety like in the older games. Maybe next year with the new expansion.
  8. Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom - I know this game gets lots of hate around here, I personally didn't have a problem with it, in fact, I really liked this game. The art style, the story, the overhauled combat. Everything clicked for me, I also think the Kingdom Building mechanic is really cool and really makes you feel like a king in this game. Great game all around.
  9. Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee - I was honestly really surprised by this one, I preorderd it but wasn't expecting much due to the wild battles overhaul. In the end I really enjoyed it, the change to seeing Pokémon in the wild instead of random encounters feels so good and needs to stay forever. It's also a really nice looking and feeling game, it just makes me happy when I play it.
  10. Sea of Thieves - You can say all you want about this game, there is not enough content blah blah blah. But I can't deny it, I had a really good time with this game, especially with friends. It's just a blast to roam around the seas, looking for treasures with a couple of buddy's, fighting of enemies and finally cashing out back at the outposts.
Honorable mentions
  • Dragon Ball FighterZ - I haven't played this game that much, but I can see the excellence of this game. Arc really did a great job on recreating that Dragon Ball feel in an amazing fighting game.
  • Far Cry 5 - The first game since Far Cry 3 that I joined, I think the setting is very interesting and the game also has some really fun and interesting ideas. The reason this game isn't in my top 10 is mostly because the game started to drag a lot later on, but I still want to give it a shoutout because I really enjoyed my time with it.
  • Vampyr - I really liked Vampyr, it feels cool to finally play a game as a vampire, the story is very interesting and the way your actions impact the story is also very cool.
  • Prey: Mooncrash - I loved last year's Prey but this DLC made me love it even more, it's such a perfect DLC for a game like this and it totally was perfect. I would have put it into my top 10 but I don't really feel comfortable with putting a DLC in my GOTY list.
  • Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - Haven't finished it yet but it's my first experience with PSVR and I really enjoy it, the creativity is of the charts for this game, so many cool ideas on display here and it controls incredibly well.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
  1. God of War - my first God of War game, and certainly one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. It looks and controls fantastically.
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - an incredible sequel with a new protagonist who is arguably one of the best in the medium to date. With an astonishing score and impressive narrative direction, it's hard not to appreciate what RDR2 does so well, even against all its flaws. It is also one of the best games I've played.
  3. Spider-Man - what a joy. Absolutely incredible. One of the most 'fun' games out there, and it absolutely captures everything Spider-Man is all about. From great voice acting capturing the true wit of our web-head, to Arkham-inspired combat which makes for thrilling engagements.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
  1. God of War - Hands down one of the best games I played on PS4, Not only were the combat mechanics and animation top notch, but the graphics are some of the best I've ever seen, not to mention the wonderful story which is only amplified by the amazing acting done by the actors
  2. Shadow of the Colossus - still peaceful and beautiful as always, one of the most relaxing and chill game ever
  3. Monster Hunter World - Capcom have been so awesome lately, they keep putting up so many great games that people want, and MHW is no different
  4. Dragon Quest XI: Echo's of an Elusive Age - Best Jrpg by far
  5. Detroit: Become Human - David's cage second best game ever, yeah Heavy rain is still Quantic's dream masterpiece

blackmass

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin - Germany
  1. Red Dead Redemption II - Besides from the messy inventory system, where The Benz was truly needed this time, this game is perfection imo. I would go so far to call it a masterpiece. Thank you for the ride Rockstar!
  2. Octopath Traveler - Yeah sure, there are games, especially JRPGs, out there with higher production values and so on but none of them bound me to the console like Octopath Traveler did. Beautiful art and a challenging, deep combat system await you here. Can't wait for more of these guys.
  3. God of War - I thought I wouldn't like it because I'm not into norse mythology so much. But man the story and combat system in GoW are just fantastic! And everything done without a cut.
  4. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - I love this franchise and the core gameplay with exploring, solving puzzles and combat. And Lara finally made it to a jungle setting. The writing is so weak and bad that it's funny. I love it!
  5. Detroit: Become Human - Gripping story, fantastic graphics. It was really fun to play, although I hated the QTEs.
  6. Dragon Quest XI - Well produced and very traditional JRPG. Graphics, story, animations, all fine and superb. But the midi soundtrack is a disgrace. Mr. Sugiyama, pls go f**k yourself!
  7. Shadow of the Colossus - A Classic that really deserves all the praise it gets.
  8. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Thanks for all the remakes SEGA! Still can't believe that you do this.
  9. Divinity Original Sin 2 - No minute played yet because of my backlog, but it sure deserves a spot in my GOTY list
  10. Monster Hunter: World - Didn't play it much. But I what I saw was quite nice

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played 6 games that came out this year so I have a lot of catching up to do before the deadline otherwise I'll limit myself to a top 5.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
This really must be one of the most diverse years ever in terms of voting. Great to see. I'm sure at some point a race will get going, but I hope it stays this eclectic as long as possible. Good job everyone so far, love reading the lists.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
This really must be one of the most diverse years ever in terms of voting. Great to see. I'm sure at some point a race will get going, but I hope it stays this eclectic as long as possible. Good job everyone so far, love reading the lists.

Eh, I wouldn't say that. I'm seeing God of War on nearly every list.

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
  1. God of War - my first God of War game, and certainly one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. It looks and controls fantastically.
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - an incredible sequel with a new protagonist who is arguably one of the best in the medium to date. With an astonishing score and impressive narrative direction, it's hard not to appreciate what RDR2 does so well, even against all its flaws. It is also one of the best games I've played.
  3. Spider-Man - what a joy. Absolutely incredible. One of the most 'fun' games out there, and it absolutely captures everything Spider-Man is all about. From great voice acting capturing the true wit of our web-head, to Arkham-inspired combat which makes for thrilling engagements.

Bold your games

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
  1. Into the Breach - Possibly the most elegant strategy game I've played. The idea of skipping through timelines as each defence of humanity fails is a lovely explanation for the gameplay setup of retrying a campaign while saving a pilot. The core mechanics that ask you to do a lot with a little are backed up by complete information availability- the next enemy actions are all visable, along with how much damage they will do, and a turn order. This allows you to attack an enemy, hurt it, knock it back, stop it hitting a building and have it hit it's ally instead, as well as block another from emerging. It's about securing multiple gains from each of your three actions each turn, something that leaves the field very readable due to limited units and it's chessboard 8x8 size, but full of opportunity to turn the tide with a single move. Just fantastic, I've played stacks of strategy games but this has jumped straight into my all-time favourites.
  2. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate - Just awesome. G-rank added an extra hundred hours of play to my carried-over save, and the new high rank campaign was fun with a soaring theme and new location too.
  3. Dragon Quest Builders - Switch version. The demo did a wonderful job of selling this to me, explaining the concepts in under 20 minutes, it's so rare that one has me order the game immediately. Reminds me of Monster Hunter Stories in that it's a spin-off into a different genre with genuine passion in translating its core themes.
  4. Dead Cells - Elegance in action. The kind of 2D combat my memories of Castlevania are like.
  5. Strange Journey Redux - I don't think the new character and dungeon help much, but the improved QOL features make it a less harsh playthrough than the DS original.
  6. Ys VIII - Switch version. I played it previously on Vita but the improved script helps a lot.
  7. Bomb Chicken - Really enjoyed this, gorgeous animation and a lovely single central mechanic used for offence, defence and puzzle solving. Great idea.
  8. Quarantine Circular - Much like it's predecessor, I'd like to see more games like this. At a 90 minute run time it's like watching a good sci-fi film rather than having to sit through multiple series.
  9. Diablo III - Have only played the single player campaigns so far but I can see the appeal of why people run the rifts
  10. Iconoclasts

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fortnite: Battle Royale - This is my most played game of all time. It's constantly updated to keep things fresh. One of the best games of the generation and one of my all time favorites.
  2. God Of War - Everything about this game is quality and fun.
  3. Astro Bot Rescue Mission - I've played about an hour of this. With that said, It's the main reason I (and probably many others) became interested in PS VR. It came seemingly out of nowhere and introduced me to a whole new world of gaming, and for that reason I am including it here.
A couple of things I've noticed is maybe I should check out Dragon Quest XI, and I'm the only poster to put Fortnite at number one so far. This clearly just means that 99% of Era has bad taste. So now I don't know if I should check out DQ XI, or avoid it like the plague.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
  1. God of War - An excellent reboot of one of my favourite series. They still delivered the brutal and fluid combat the series is known for but in an entirely new package and better than before. The change in setting, tone and Kratos's character are all welcomed. The writing, voice acting and presentation come together to produce some of the most powerful storytelling I have experienced this whole year in any medium.
  2. Monster Hunter World - This is my dream game. Ever since playing the 3DS iterations of the series I have been praying to CapGod for a current gen version on consoles. My prayers have been answered.
  3. Marvel's Spiderman - This game as a whole is just an uplifting experience. Swinging around the city and helping people as the friendly neighborhood Spiderman is an absolute joy. The game has a better Spiderman story than any of the live action movies. Just a wholesome experience all around.
  4. Tetris Effect - The perfect version of the perfect video game. The zone mode is a superb addition to the formula. The visual and audio presentation is immaculate.
  5. Hitman 2
  6. Hollow Knight
  7. Prey: Mooncrash
  8. Yakuza Kiwami 2
  9. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
  10. Dead Cells

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. FarCry 5 - Not only the best FarCry, but also the best game of the year. Underrated narrative and story, amazing graphics and also best music of the year. In co-op this is the best experience I had in 2018.
  2. Call of Duty Black Ops 4 - I played PUBG quite a bit (too clunky) and I played FortNite excessively (got too crazy), Blacout sits somewhere in the middle and is MY BR mode of choice.
  3. God of War
  4. The Crew 2
  5. Marvel's Spider-Man

Alderade

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Subnautica - bla bla bla
  2. Dark Souls Remastered - bla bla bla
  3. God of War - bla bla bla
  4. Hitman 2 - bla bla bla
  5. Marvel's Spider-Man - bla bla bla
  6. Pillars of Eternity 2 : Deadfire - bla bla bla
  7. Red Dead Redemption 2 - bla bla bla
  8. Kingdom Come : Deliverance - bla bla bla

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - A deserving sequel to a Game of a Generation. No revolutionary by any means but you don't revolt against the perfection. Game feels alive, possibly the most alive game I ever played. Characters and story are written much better than any other historical open world game.
  2. Dragon Quest XI - A simple turn based JRPG but crafted beautifully. Colorful environment, baroque soundtrack, unusual cast of characters. Proof that Square does not need Level-5 for creating the best DQ ever.
  3. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - I have to admit, I'm a sucker for Greek anything in games. Yeah, maybe Kratos left that world fpr something worse but Ubisoft got me covered for my usual Greek Mythology intake. I couldn't imagine that Ubisoft making a game that tops Origin but here it is.
  4. God of War - Sure it does not arcadey feel of the series, jackasness of Kratos and that amazinf chain blades. This is a different game and definitely a future classic in this new world it creates itself.
  5. Valkyria Chrinicles 4 - Another one of "Don't mess the perfection" kinda games. Seriously, they didn't need to touch a thing from the first game and still one of the best turn based games ever. Best story in series too.
  6. Soul Calibur VI - My all time favorite fighter series is back! Plays awesome as ever.
  7. Yakuza 6 - Again, more of the same but that "same" is something haven't been copied by anyone else. Plus Yakuza's combat is like crack, I'm addicted to it.
  8. Iconoclasts - Finally, an indie games that feels like a full price games. It's not easy to create a true living, breathing 2D platformer and Iconoclasts is the first one since Cave Story.
  9. Monster Hunter World - First game after conclusion of handheld saga and it was an amazing start to a new era. Felt a little like "Graphics hunter" game (i hate realistic visuals) but an amazing game nonetheless.
  10. Ni No Kuni 2

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
  1. Kingdom Come: Deliverance - A sprawling historical RPG which finally proves that an AAA RPG in medieval setting doesn't need to have dragons or magic to be great. It has everything a good RPG needs: great story, memorable characters, lots of various activities, very interesting and quite original combat mechanics, etc. And on top of that it fairly accuratly depicts an interesting historical period; it's amazing how much effort the devs put in researching all the historical stuff.
  2. Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Finally a CRPG which feels like a worthy successor to Baldur's Gate 2. It's huge, detailed, full of interesting characters and quests, and it faithfully follows the intricacies of Pathfinder (updated D&D3.5) ruleset.
  3. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tale - Another good game from my favourite gamedev company, CD Project RED. I'm not a huge fan of card games, but the story in this game is enough to carry it on its own, and I actually enjoyed card battles quite a bit as well after a while.
  4. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - While being a downgrade from PoE1 (in my opinion), it's still a very decent CRPG.
  5. This is the Police 2 - Police management game with a great story. I enjoyed the first game in the series a bit more, but this one is still great. Compared to the first game it adds XCOM-style tactical combat for some missions (and does it decently).
  6. Rimworld - One of the best Dwarf Fortress-lite games out there. I played a lot of it while it was still in alpha, and the release version is even better.
  7. Ash of Gods: Redemption - A Banner Saga-style game which I liked more than the last installment of Banner Saga itself.
  8. The Banner Saga 3 - A good conclusion to the series.
  9. Lamplight City - One of the best point-and-click adventures of the recent time. It's more focused on dialogues than on inventory objects which I liked a lot.
  10. Unavowed - Another great point-and-click adventure. It's nice that it has quite a few of different dialogue options in most dialogues.
  11. The Room: Old Sins - A new game from a great series of puzzle games for mobile devices. They are becoming better and better with each new installment.

Apr 9, 2018
Didn't play 10 games this year but of those that I did:

1. God of War - One of the best SP experiences I've had despite being highly doubtful the direction would work. Brought back nostalgia for me of playing great PS exclusives
  2. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Another throwback for me of playing great JRPGs, this one ticked every box
  3. Detroit: Become Human - Played through most of this with my sister and think this is QD's best
  4. Marvel's Spiderman - Not quite as good as GoW3 but of course very different and outstanding in its own right
  5. Shadow of the Colossus - Only game I've double dipped with in recent years and it's a glorious title still

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
  1. God of War - Looks incredible, sounds great, enjoyable story and fantastic gameplay. The winner this year for me.
  2. Hollow Knight - Enjoyed this game on the switch, never sweated that much during commute.
  3. Gran Turismo: Sport - The game has seen so many upgrades this year that it should count.
  4. Dead Cells - Just one more run. Maybe two. Then go to sleep.
  5. Shadow of the Colossus - I can see why this is a classic. What a great game.
  6. Red Dead Redemption 2 - My eyes and ears were impressed, but my cold video game heart wasn't.
  7. Monster Hunter: World - It's definitely one of the 7 games I've played this year.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
  1. Tetris Effect - My mom always told me that the reason I am "smarter" than the rest of the family by getting higher education was due to the fact she played Tetris a lot on her Gameboy during the pregnancy. It was something that's been with me through my entire life. Growing up the Tetris games that were released were always more focused on the puzzle fighter aspect, so it was always more of a competition than something I played because I just enjoyed the gameplay of it. I got better at strategies that involved getting me to a victory and whenever my mom and me play Tetris these days she just can't stop even if she doesn't get a single win in over 2 hours of playing. She just really loves playing Tetris, something that I never truly felt. And then comes Tetris effect. This was not about competition anymore but about this "journey". A journey that taught me just how enjoyable Tetris is. The way the game utilized game speed as well as visuals and sound made me feel emotion in a way which I never thought Tetris would be capable of. Metamorphosis is the best final level I think I have ever played, it is simply perfect. I think I finally understand just why my mom fell in love with Tetris in the first place and I can't wait to show her Tetris Effect.
  2. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - I always loved the Assassin's Creed franchise and this is the best one yet with great character progression and a fantastic open world.
  3. Celeste - This year's best story goes to... a platformer ?!? I never imagined that you could use this genre to tell a great story but Matt Makes Games surprised me in every way possible. They use Level, Audio and Visual Design to create something truly special. The final level is a perfect finale for such a great game.
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The best Smash game so far. I love World of Light and the Spirit Board. The faster gameplay also feels just right. It's biggest merit is the fact that all characters are here as well as some newcomers, two of which have become my new mains.
  5. God of War - I never liked the God of War series. The insane violence in the previous games always put me off the same way I could never get into Mortal Kombat. The new God of War was still really violent but using mostly fantasy creatures that also don't have "traditional" blood made me able to actually play it. I really liked the "a single shot" approach and feel like it helped the narrative tremendously. I can't wait to see what's next for Kratos and Atreus.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

1. God of War 3 - One of the best SP experiences I've had despite being highly doubtful the direction would work. Brought back nostalgia for me of playing great PS exclusive
God of War 3 came out in 2010 ;p you probably edit this to 2018 or just call it God of War

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The ultimate Smash game that brings back to me the old memories of Super Smash Bros Meele, especially because the game pacing is very similar to it and all the old favorite characters are back (Dr. Mario). The amount of content is unrivaled this year and every second playing it is pure fun.
  2. Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! - I never really played Pokemon because of the grinding and how annoying caves were. This game changes everything. Finally, Pokemon feels like fun, not like a useless grind with irritating Pokemon battles happening randomly. Also has a good difficulty level if you choose to make it difficult for yourself.
  3. Octopath Traveler - The first ever JRPG I played and one of the biggest surprises of the year. Already liked the demo earlier a lot and the full game is even better. Great storylines that combine well in the end, amazing battle system and you really want to play and level your characters more and more.
  4. Subnautica - Coming out very early this year, this game is a great survival game. You got a lot of things to do, survival can be hard but isn't too hard and there is a lot to explore. Also the story is very well told and many things appear to be logical. You can't really stop playing this game once you are into it.
  5. Spellforce 3 - While this game came out already end of 2017, I started playing it in the early days of 2018. Since I love both Spellforce 1 and Spellforce 2, this game was a must buy for me. And I think it lives up to the hype. It isn't on the same level as Spellforce 1, which did nearly everything right, but it comes close. The one bad thing tho is that the story gets kinda meh towards the end. But otherwise, perfect RPG and buildup gameplay combination like expected from the Spellforce series.
  6. Dragon Quest Builders for Nintendo Switch - I don't even know why, but I fell in love with this game. So many different things to do and the complete freedom to do what you want. Just the last world was a bit iffy with the dead turf, was kinda hard to get resources there. But otherwise, always coming back to solve that last missions.
  7. Frostpunk - As I like buildup games, of course I noticed Frostpunk. Frostpunk is great because it test your morality, your wisdom and forces you into fast and smart decision to keep your city alive from the cold. And once you manage to beat that final storm, you are happy that your city is alive. (I would have liked to play on afterwards tho just for fun or have an endless-mode, meh)
  8. Super Mario Party - A Mario Party from NDCube? Meh... Wait, it looks, better I guess? Yeah, some things make absolutely no sense and were way better in former installments (Mario Party 2 best Mario Party), but other things aregreat. Minigames are nice, that you hunt alone for Stars is nice, but the inflation means you get basically every star for free and the items are horribly balanced, together with the star placement. And the 2v2 mode sucks completely. So yeah, funny game, but still not how good it could be. Just port Mario Party 2 HD please.
  9. Conan Exiles - As I like Ark, I obviously also had to play Conan Exiles. While this game does some things better than ARK, it also does many things worse. The grind is unnatural and getting to specific places is kinda hard. Also following the story correctly is nearly impossible, causing confusion. Other than that, the slave mechanic is nice and building is great, but this game lacks in the end to keep you playing for a longer time.
Honorable Mention: Sea of Thieves - While I never played the game, it was always fun watching others playing it and making themself look like fools.

Game of the Year 2019: Luigi's Mansion 3

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
  1. God of War - one of my favorites games ever. A reboot is what the series needed, and Santa Monica Studio delivered it almost perfectly.
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - R* are the masters of creating open worlds. Game is a technical masterpiece, with insane attention to details. Gameplay can be a little too cumbersome.
  3. Marvel's Spiderman - It's was a joy to play, controlling Spidey felt perfect. I also really liked the story and Peter's humor. More Spidey-Cop in the sequel, please.
  4. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - It's Assassin's Creed in name, but not in the gameplay and I don't mind that. Kassandra was lovely and it's a shame she (and Alexios) won't get to be in the next game.
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII - best and most polished battle royale on consoles (if you don't like building stuff).
  6. Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Game was janky and little buggy, but it was a breath of fresh air. Medieval game without dragons, ghouls and other monsters. Game had an interesting story too.
  7. Far Cry 5 - it was fun to explore Hope County and kill crazy cultists with variety of weapons.
  8. Yoku's Island Express - just a joyful, colorful and charming adventure. One of my biggest surprises of the year.
  9. Monster Hunter World - my first MH game. Killing those beasts with other players was satisfying.
  10. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tale - GWENT, a card game from The Witcher 3 (and one of the best side activities ever) received its own 30 hour narrative-driven adventure.

Jadeinchains

Apr 30, 2018
  1. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - This was an easy pick for my number one, This game was my first foray into the Dragon Quest series and I can genuinely say that I was hooked from the moment I started it. I'd heard about the series for a long time and knew how popular it was but hadn't looked into myself but I'm so happy I finally did. The game is absolutely filled with charm in every corner and has drawn me into the DQ series.
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - As a massive fan of the smash bros series I was instantly excited the moment this game was announced and having now played it I can say unsurprisingly that It's amazing as ever and definitely worth the wait. It feels great to be playing a brand new smash bros game, Plus...Daisy was finally added!!
  3. Detroit: Become Human - For whatever reason when this game was coming close to release I was so uncertain as to If I really wanted to get it or not but luckily I can say that I decided to get it and good thing I did too because this game was a blast. All of the characters were great ( special shout out to Connor and Hanks relationship throughout the game ) and there really was so many different outcomes to your actions.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - A fantastic amount of content stuffed into a tiny Switch card. Every single character is back plus new ones, over 100 stages, a classic mode tailored to every character, an adventure mode with some really neat map references and interesting ways to represent characters that didn't make the roster. The new Smash modes - Smashdown and Squad Strike are a ton of fun and having the ability to turn off hazards is a welcome one. It falls short of being perfect by lacking Break the Targets and Home Run Contest, as well as dropping trophies but these are small things to lose for what we gained (well for me anyway)
  2. Sonic Mania Plus - The new content added to Sonic Mania pushes this up a bit from last year. Mighty and Ray were great additions to the roster of playable characters, while the Encore mode was a nice challenge to go back to.
  3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country - A great prequel story to XC2, refining the gameplay while changing it up enough to make it feel different. Lora was a more interesting and likable protagonist compared to Rex for me and the Tornan titan was a beautiful environment to explore.
  4. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - This was a joy to play again. The soundtrack is still magnificent and the platforming is still immensely satisfying. Plus it has a new Funky mode, what's not to love?
  5. Marvel's Spider-Man - A wonderful Spider-Man game. The story was fantastic and they nailed the web swinging mechanics so traversing the city is just so much fun.
  6. Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight - I loved P4D, so I was always going to love a Persona 3 version featuring my favourite characters and songs. While it lacks the story mode of P4D it does have more interesting social scenes between the characters. Seeing the new models of the P3 cast is wonderful and I love the new remixes of songs like Deep Breath Deep Breath, Want to be Close, and Wiping All Out.
  7. Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight - Basically Persona Dancing Red Version - same setup as P3D but with P5 songs and characters. I love the new remixes and social scenes, just not as much as P3Ds so that's why it's lower on my list.
  8. The World Ends With You: Final Remix - I was surprised by how much I loved this game. This was my first time playing it and it was a memorable experience. The story was an interesting premise full of twists and turns, changing your opinions on characters as the game progresses. The combat is unique, if a little bit annoying to use certain pins in docked mode. The soundtrack was absolutely phenomenal.
  9. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory - A solid follow up to Cyber Sleuth, focusing on new characters in a side story taking place during the original game. It's more of the same, but sometimes it's nice to have that.
  10. Undertale - A unique and charming game full of humour. I don't want to spoil anything here but I love how you access the different endings and how every character has their own sounds when the dialogue scrolls, and the battle system is a unique spin on the usual RPG battle system.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
  1. Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Best fighter with most content since day one on disc
  2. Monster Hunter World - Best coop loot game and most fair no MTX affect it
  3. Megaman 11 - Great game from start to finish
  4. Monster boy and the Cursed Kingdom - Stunning game and brilliant gameplay

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
  1. God of War - Never played this series before - but wow what a ride. The relationship was key, but my god the battles were so much fun.
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Still playing through this. For me it doesn't quite match the original - but it's still incredible and I love it.
  3. Marvel's Spider-Man - Just pure joy. A really fun game and boy can you tell Sunset Overdrive was made by the same guys!
  4. Dead Cells - Very addictive. In the end I gave up grinding, but the grind for a while, was fun :)
  5. Overcooked 2 - For me the best couch co-op game of the year. Caused a few arguments with my wife mind you.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8. Dragon Quest XI: Echo's of an Elusive Age - imma be real with yall i havent even played this game but i wanted to vote for it because i know ill love it whenever i actually get around to it
You mispelled Echoes. You also didnt write your list using the "ordered list" feature. I advice you to fix that or your votes wont count at all.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
  1. Hollow Knight - My suprise hit of the year, I bought it as I thought it looked good and that I might like it based of of other players thoughts. I was treated to one of the best games I've ever played. Awesome setting and atmosphere, great design, great exploration, great music, just a truely fantastic game that IMO all gamers should experience
  2. God of War - This game is pretty much perfect, great combat, amazing graphics and production values, amazing design, it's a fantastic game a deserves all the praise it gets. Onlt flawas are that the bosses are a bit lame and I just wish it was longer, the story was good but just felt like an extended prologue.
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I got completely lost in this game and ended up just messing around in the world for hours without doing much of the main quest. Great game. Shame about the scam online mode but the single player is so good it's not the end of the world.
  4. Monster Hunter World - My first ever Monster Hunter game, great fun and a game thoroughly enjoyed. Need to go back to it really.
  5. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - I enjoyed this game a lot, it's a shame the poor soundtrack significantly negatively impacted my enjoyment of the game.
  6. Spyro Reignited Trilogy - Revisiting my childhood. A fantastic remake a very enjoyable triple plat :)
  7. Shadow of the Colossus - I owned ICO on the PS2 and loved it but for some reason never played SOTC, I fixed that this year and it was better late than never, a fantastic game.
I think that's it for me, I've played other games this year but I don't feel them worthy of recognition in my personal GOTY list.

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII - This is the one game I sunk the most time into and continue to play a lot. Removing campaign is irrelevant because I play COD games for the MP and this one nails it. Over 4 days of play time in and will keep going, it's just that good.
  2. Beat Saber - Probably the most addictive exercise program out there.
  3. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - This game made me realize the potential of VR in a traditional game rather than a motion controlled one.
  4. Battlefield V - While this entry offers little innovation, it's more Battlefield which has always been great. And it's not broken. Some quality in an otherwise dull year.
  5. Dark Souls Remastered - So this one's eligible. Dark Souls remains one of the biggest gaming classics and last-gen's biggest innovator (multiplayer invasion mechanics in otherwise SP games). Graphical innovations may be underwhelming here, but the 60 fps conversion is worth it.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
  1. God of War - Pretty much the perfect action game from my perspective. a combat system that is measures more responsive and satisfying then it has any right to be considering it's camera system. Using the axe is just gaming bliss. the story is great, the exploration is rewarding, and it's an epic adventure spanning a good amount of time. best game this year and the best reboot I've played. it's everything a "come back" should be!
  2. Astrobot - i was deliberating between this and spider-man as my runner up, but ultimately settled on this for one simple reason. i had a huge dumb grin on my face from start to end. it really is the Mario 64 moment of this generation, not in the sense that it's going to redefine gaming, but just because it's so flawlessly executed and makes for an incredibly fun experience that very few games managed to touch this year. excellent game and the best VR title you can play right now by a large margin.
  3. Spider-Man - as odd as this might sound, it's the first and only time a video game has made me shed a tear. and of all the games I've played in my life, i never expected that from a Spider-Man game, let alone one written by Insomniac. It may have some unfortunate and needless open world bloat but that core experience, that story, that combat, that sublime traversal, those incredibly impressive visuals...it all came together for me and made for one of the more memorable games of the gen, let alone the year.
  4. Tetris Effect - easily my favorite Mizuguchi game. you just zone out completely in VR and you just want to stay there forever. it's a classic, arguably perfect game, mixed with the Mizuguchi flair you expect from the creator of Lumines. best puzzle game this year. and best version of Tetris...period.
  5. Detroit - I have a hot and cold relationship with David Cage games. i really liked Omikron back in the day, i thought Fahrenheit was ok. i loved heavy rain, but hated Beyond and then Detroit came out and i was in love all over again. it's easily his best work. has a super intriguing story, some of the best narrative branching in the industry and looks absolutely stunning. This for me is the benchmark for visuals and it changed my expectations for what the near future of video games could look like in more open worlds with better technology. If i were Sony i'd be buying this company.
  6. Moss - Unbelievably charming and lovable game/protagonist. It honestly would have been up near the top of this list if the other 2 PSVR games hadn't released in the same year. probably unfortunate for moss since it takes some attention away from it, but great for PSVR!
  7. Shadow of the Colossus - One of the best remakes I've ever played and well worth triple dipping for. Looked great, still played great, and had a few small added extras to keep you in the desolate world of the Collossi. Super intrigued what Bluepoint are working on next.
  8. Hitman 2 - Effectively more of the same, which is all i really wanted from a second season. They've built on a handful of features to make it's stealth systems more robust, and built some great stages that are some of my favorite of the entire franchise. The fact i can play all the content through the Hitman 2 app just makes it all the better.
...this is the first year in a long time where I've not played enough to make up a full top 10 it seems, unless i'm just forgetting some of them? it's also a year where Sony's output was so dense that i only managed to fit in 1 game that was multi platform...which doesn't usually happen.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Hitman 2 - It builds on everything that made Hitman (2016) great, while somehow also greatly improving the level design. Considering how good the levels were in that gameI'm honestly shocked how they managed to make them even better. Isle of Sgail might just be my favourite level in any game.
  2. Into the Breach - It's the most dense, compact turn-based strategy experience out there, with every turn presenting you with tough strategic decisions. On top of that, it makes really good use of its roguelike design by making subsuquent replays feel fresh and interesting due to the varied gameplay styles presented by the various mech combinations you can use.
  3. Cultist Simulator - It's rare to see narrative-focused games experiment with gameplay, preffering to instead focus entirely on the story-telling. Cultist Simulator is unique in that it invents a really original style of gameplay which perfectly fits the theme of the game, while also offering some of the best writing in video games.
  4. Monster Hunter World - I've never cared much for Monster Hunter games, so huge props to Capcom for making a game that's incredibly inviting even to people like me while by all accounts still capturing everything that made past games great.
  5. Persona 3: Dancing Moon Night - It's a rhythm game featuring Persona music, so it's already great by default. It also has a rather unique style of gameplay that achieves difficulty through weird rhythm instead of requiring fast button presses, which makes playing it quite interesting.
  6. Persona 5: Dancing In Starlight - Oh, and it's also split into two $60 games, because Atlus hates us I guess.
  7. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - But at least you can buy both of them for $100 and also get this one for free, so it's sort of okay.
  8. Artifact - For me, most card games suffer from the fact that they don't give you interesting gameplay decisions often enough. There's so many turns where you're just playing cards on curve without thinking. Artifact does more to fix that that than any other card game, as there are interesting decisions to be made pretty much all the time.
  9. Soulcalibur VI - A very interesting attempt at keeping the franchise alive. I really enjoy how fast the movement is, since it makes the game feel really smooth. The fact that the execution barriers didn't seem very high was also nice.
  10. Pangya Mobile - Yeah, this isn't a great game. Still, I loved the original Pangya and was quite sad to see it shut down. The fact that it now (somewhat) lives on as a mobile game makes me happy.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Having only dabbled with DQ7 on PS1 an DQ8 on PS2 and having hated the former and be bored with the latter its safe to say I am not a big DQ fan. Somehow DQXI began ticking off boxes for me since its reveal that previous games in the series never did for me. Then it came out in Japan and I inexplicably found myself looking up videos and videos of the game anxiously waiting for news on the engllsh release which I bought on day one. 150 hours and one Platinum trophy later I beat my first DQ game ever and became my 2018 GOTY. The writing (shout out to the spectacular localization effort!), the art style, the monster animations and designs, the party members I grew attached throughout my adventure, I loved it all. If you're into traditional JRPGs but also want an honest to goodness story with great characters DQXI should be in your collection. It starts very traditional but trust me it goes places later. The quality of the MIDI music is the one problem I have. People exagerate saying its the worst OST ever (it isnt) but I'd be lying if I didnt say I wasnt happy. Also apparently it reuses a ton of music from old games but since I'm a DQ newbie it was all new for me and in passing I got to hear a best of DQ music compilation. TL;DR: DQXI floored me I wasnt a DQ fan before XI but now I am. Its the best JRPG on the PS4. If youre playing on PC patch the mod with the orquestrated OST to erase my one complaint with this game.
  2. God of War - Best Sony first party game since The Last of Us. After GoW3 on PS3 i swore off this franchise. I hated Kratos and had it up to here with his tantrums and uninteresting personality. GoW 2018 flipped all of that and fixed my every complaint and then some. A close second for my GOTY 2018.
  3. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Best classic Castlevania game since Rondo of Blood. Beat it multiple times got all the endings. Its also tough as nails (but fair) and has a kickass soundtrack.
  4. Megaman 11 - Having played all of the Classic series multiple times I was happy to report that MM11 was the best entry in the series since the NES hayday. Its also the most difficult of the entire series if played on Normal difficulty so be warned.
  5. Overcooked 2 - Best couch co-op game I've ever played not made by Nintendo. My girlfriend and I loved the first game to bits and the second one is just as good if not better.
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Best game in the series. Its as much a museum as it is a game. Its brimming with content you can practically see the stretch marks in the cartridge. 76 characters plus DLC is insane and I love it.
  7. Marvel's Spiderman - Solid everything. Favorite superhero videogame I've ever played let alone best Spiderman game.
  8. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Missed the boat on WiiU in part because I hated DKCR on Wii. Happy to see DKCTF is much much much better. Still doesnt touch the brilliance that was DKC2 on SNES but it doesnt have to.
  9. Hollow Knight - A good Metroidvania. Although I wish its environments didnt look so samey. They get boring after a while. Also it barely has music.

I'll rack my braing to see if I can complete my list with a 10th one later.

Oct 25, 2017
I could vote right now as I do have a list but I think I'll finish off games during the next month instead. I do wonder where I'll put Smash, it's hovering between 1st to 4th place in my list.

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII - This is the one game I sunk the most time into and continue to play a lot. Removing campaign is irrelevant because I play COD games for the MP and this one nails it. Over 4 days of play time in and will keep going, it's just that good.
  2. Beat Saber - Probably the most addictive exercise program out there.
  3. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - This game made me realize the potential of VR in a traditional game rather than a motion controlled one.
  4. Battlefield V - While this entry offers little innovation, it's more Battlefield which has always been great. And it's not broken. Some quality in an otherwise dull year.
  5. Dark Souls Remastered - So this one's eligible. Dark Souls remains one of the biggest gaming classics and last-gen's biggest innovator (multiplayer invasion mechanics in otherwise SP games). Graphical innovations may be underwhelming here, but the 60 fps conversion is worth it.

Bold your games

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of War 3 - One of the best SP experiences I've had despite being highly doubtful the direction would work. Brought back nostalgia for me of playing great PS exclusive
God of War 3 is your 2018 GOTY? As in 2010's God of War 3 thats not even eligible? Or is that a typo? Because this year's GoW is just called God of War.

EDIT: Apparently VoteBot read the quote from someone else in my post an thought it was a vote of mine when Ive already cast my vote. Mistake? I already editd the quote so it cant be read as a vote.

Last edited:

OvernightOats

Oct 30, 2017
  1. God of War - I never played a God of War game before this one, but I had a good time with this one. It feels like the best version of the Sony AAA formula, combining great presentation, engaging gameplay and interesting characters. There's a few too many problems with the combat it for me to call it a masterpiece (unhelpful camera, movement assist, too many abilities and options without a real sense of choice etc.) but it was a worthwhile experience.
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man - While I was a bit disappointed with this game, it was great to have a new polished AAA Spider-man game in 2018. It feels like a best of for the previous 3D open world Spider-man games which is probably what the series needed, but I would have liked something that did it's own thing a bit more. The combat is good but overstays it's welcome due to how much the side content leans on it and the sections where you controlled MJ were pretty rough, feeling very last gen and outdated. Still, swinging around the city felt great and it had some good character/story moments.
  3. Yazkua 2 Kiwami - My first Yazkua game was Yazkua 0 and after playing that, I was all in for the Yazkua series. I think this is a solid game, but 0 has it beat across the board with better story, better combat and better side content. 2 still has everything you come to expect and enjoy in a Yazkua game, and does a much better job of standing on it's own than Kiwami 1 did.
My pick descriptions were more complain-y then they probably should be for a Best of list but for me, 2018 was a pretty weak year. There were a large amount of solid games released but not many that really stand out as being truly great, such as Breath of the Wild did last year. There are still a lot of games that I'm planning to play (Into the Breach, Black Ops 4, Astrobot, Super Smash Bros Ultimate) so maybe I will change my mind, but from what I played so far not too much stood out.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
  1. Unavowed - both a modern reinvention of the traditional point-and-click adventure and simultaneously one of its best-ever entries
  2. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - a superb, polished and overgenerous JRPG with a great cast of characters
  3. Iconoclasts - an imaginative, endlessly varied platformer with setpieces that recall Treasure at their best
  4. Heaven Will be Mine - an overlooked visual novel with some of the straight-up best writing ever seen in a video game
  5. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - a sprawling, detailed and captivating pirate RPG with a refreshing world and great tactical gameplay
  6. The Missing: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories - a well-executed, heartfelt narrative of the kind gaming rarely covers
  7. Deltarune Chapter 1 - only a part of what seems set to be a much more impressive game, but what a part nonetheless
  8. Subnautica - an underwater world both dazzling and terrifying, tugging you endlessly deeper
  9. Celeste - traditional platforming perfected, with a surprisingly powerful story behind it
  10. Cardinal Cross - a proper sci-fi VN with an innovative choice system and an intriguing setting

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
  1. God of War - An absolute masterpiece, a battle system I fell in love from the moment I watched the reveal, only to confirm it as one of the best ever once I got my hands on the game. A perfect example of reinventing an old IP, sublime story-telling, tight controls, jaw-dropping visuals and score.
  2. Dragon Quest XI - I was never much of a fan of the Dragon Quest series. I've played many of them, they were good, but nothing more. DQXI has converted me with its undisguised joy and fun, great cast, fast single-turn battles and beautiful visuals: each monster has been brought to 3D with such astonishing craftmanship and every town is different and weird and a joy to visit.
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - As a huge fan of the first RDR, I was somehow indifferent to this prequel; who was this Arthur Morgan taking Marshton rightful place? But then you start your journey with this band of losers, and by the end you realize there was no other way this story could be told.
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man - The game I dreamed of when I was a little kid playing on the first PlayStation. The perfect Spider-Man simulation, pure joy to play. I can't think of many games I have so much fun just by moving around.
  5. Yakuza 6 - Funny, epic, stupid, this is a Yakuza game, at last brought to the present with the dragon engine. You will fight, you will sing, punch sharks, feed kittys and become a tangerine-headed hero. Please visit Onomichi if you haven't done so yet.
  6. Tetris Effect - It's just tetris, but it's magic and will make you dream of falling blocks.
  7. Gris - Haven't finished yet, will update.
  8. Detroit - Gorgeous and intriguing. Connor's chapters were the best QD has crafted and the way I think they should based their work from now on.
  9. Octopath Traveler - Beautiful, fun snappy battle system, it fell short of expectations because of the lack of interaction between characters, overall story and samey chapter structure.
  10. Hollow Knight - Put in last place because it's a game from last year, but I couldn't help but mention one of the best games I've played this gen, and the best damn thing you could play on your Swith this year.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate ; a celebration for all gamers, it's just a joy to play
  2. DUSK ; purchased this almost by accident, it's one of the finest shooters around, gets your adrenaline pumping just like Doom 2016 did
  3. Super Mario Party , such a blast with friends, get me more boards Nintendo, i litterally want to throw more money at this game
  4. God of War , an epic journey, stunning from beginning to end
  5. Dragon Ball FighterZ , most fun i've had with a figting game in a long ass time, looks gorgeous too
  6. Mario Tennis Aces , this game fucks as a couch co-op/pvp tennis game
  7. Kingdom Come: Deliverance , weird game, but it probably came at the right time, got immersed for hours
  8. Forza Horizon 4 , each time they keep surprisingme, the best Horizon game yet
  9. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee , great remake to the classics, new qol improvements are fantastic
  10. Detroit: Become Human . it's a Cage game, yet i loved it...i'm still donnow how it happened

@to be edited

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  1. God of War - I never cared much for the old God of War games. I still played them mind you, but it was just a fun distraction while waiting for games that interested me more. This game changed all that and managed to become one of my favourite franchises in just a single entry. The story hits the right beats, the gameplay is tight and the visuals are as gorgeous as ever.
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man - I always seek out Insomniac's games, wherever they are - and they were the sole reason I owned an XB1 for a month, just to play Sunset Overdrive. This game hits all the right notes with me, a perfect blend of exploration, combat and puzzles.
  3. Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition - Tried it on PC last year, but had too many bugs for me to endure, so I waited until the PS4 release to really dive in to the game, and oh boy it didn't disappoint.
  4. Detroit: Become Human - The story is a bit corny, but it's saved by some really great acting and surprisingly great visuals.
  5. Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - Nowhere near as impactful as the first was for me, but I do love JRPG's, even though this year was weak for the genre.
  6. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - My first Dragon Quest game. Overall a very flawed JRPG, but a JRPG nonetheless.
  7. Super Mario Party - Have had 3 Mario Parties in 2018 so far, all have been quite great.
  8. Spyro Reignited Trilogy - My ultimate collectathon game from childhood is back, and yea - they polished exactly what was needed and nothing else.
  9. Path of Exile: Betrayal - Finally tried PoE after the massive disappointment that is current day Blizzard. Didn't disappoint.
  10. Monster Hunter World - Didn't like this game too much, but it managed to get its hooks in me in some otherwise dry gaming months.

Status
Not open for further replies.