• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
  1. God of War - Haven't got into God of war games before but this one pulled me in with its Story and was well paced though the repeating troll fights got annoying near the end due to finishing with the same animations each time but not enough to drop it from being my number 1 game. It had a good reveal at the end to setup the sequel which I can't wait for and getting the blades was a great moment in the game.
  2. Hitman 2 - Hardly played the first one so was glad the levels where ported to this one. I really enjoy how intricate the levels are and how well they are designed especially the last level and Miami. Hope the DLC adds some great new levels.
  3. Forza Horzion 4 - The only driving game I really like and being set in the UK is great plus seasons had a great effect on the game and especially like the Snow. This is also the best looking game in 4k to me this generation.
  4. Spyro Reignited Trilogy - As good as I remember it being back in the day and unlike Crash I still enjoy the game and getting 100% in every level. Really hope they make a new Spyro game after this.
  5. Smash Ultimate - Everyone is hear and the best Smash plays. Looking forward to the DLC (Joker was a big Surprise for me). World of light I enjoy and a good bunch of new Characters and so much good music.
  6. Celeste - Isn't really a fan of hard 2D platformers but the music, story of this one is good and really liked the art style and feel of the platforming.
  7. Marvel's Spider-Man - Travelling around New York feels great, has good story moments and good graphics.
  8. Into the Breach - A great turn based tactics and everything seems fair rather than not. Great at giving you that one more game/ turn effect even when you fail.
  9. Subnautica - Survival games are normally not my thing but this one grabbed me and has good options for turning of the more annoying parts of survival games if needed. The Environment is just one of the most unique in games and works really well and the depths of the ocean can be scary at first though as you get better tech it isn't as bad and discovering the cool alien areas the devs have built make it stand out.
  10. Dragon Ball FighterZ - Got me into watching Dragon Ball and game feels great and fun to watch at a Pro level at Evo etc. Could of had less Gokus but guess that's the nature of Dragon Ball. Hopefully a second season pass adds some more of Dragon Ball Super Characters.

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2018! You vote receipt is available here.**

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I was flipflopping between RDR2 and God of War for ages but ultimately settled for this, the game that has brought the most gaming enjoyment during 2018. Sure, the controls are often whack, the plot occasionally repetitive and with funky pace, but the enormous & perfect world, the excellent characters, the GOAT sound design and VA and just the amount of high-quality content brings it to the top. Rockstar's best game by far, and a classic in general.
  2. God of War - Seriously, absolutely no one could predict that a "reboot" sequel to a testosterone-fuelled action romp would be this amazing. They truly hit the home-run with this game, and it was JUST about to take the 1st spot on my list.
  3. Hollow Knight - The best 2D Metroidvania I've played in my life; such an achievement and an engrossing little game world.
  4. Marvel's Spiderman - The repetitive side-quests drag this one down, but the amazing fluidity in the gameplay and the excellent main plotline lifts this up to become one of the very best, if not THE best, superhero game in history.
  5. Monster Hunter World - I never would've expected that slaying monsters while following a shitty story could be so fun. Deep and rewarding gameplay mechanics makes you keep returning to slay just one more creature.
  6. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - This game has issues; the story and characterization is nothing special, the hub-like game design is worse than "Rise..." in the sense that the Metroidvania aspect is poorer and the amount of combat encounters is too low, therefore not making use of the entire roster of combat abilities. But there is something about this one that I really, really liked; it's obviously a labor of love and still a very rewarding and quite complete package that kept me fully engaged throughout.
  7. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - The best jRPG I've played in ages. Absolutely shitty music aside, and too much repetition in the later parts of the storyline, it's also a very complete package with tons of thought put into it.
  8. Detroit: Become Human - Quantic Dreams' magnum opus. Heavy Rain was a good starting point but was too weak on its own, and I never got to Beyond, but here, they have sharpened their trademark to perfection. Many have blasted the story as being too on-the-nose and full of platitudes, but I honestly couldn't care less when I played through this. Also helps that the visuals and art direction was among the best ever.
  9. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - Captivating little game, packed with content and provides enough of a challenge not to become stale. Too bad the art direction really didn't jive with me; still, the core game loop was so good I could see through the aesthetics.
  10. Shadow of the Colossus - Pitch-perfect and beautiful remake of an absolute classic.
  11. Dead Cells - Super-captivating gameplay loop, but eventually it started feeling a bit too shallow. Still feel I really got my money's worth.
  12. Guacamelee! 2 - I might be recalling the first game badly, but it feels like the sequel lost a bit of the intricate Metroidvania backtracking. Despite that, everything else was majorly improved.
  13. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - For a series that pumps out very similar games constantly, this was the first one that actually felt FRESH despite not changing its core too much. Overblown, soap opera-like storyline that was genuinely fun to take part of.

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2018! You vote receipt is available here.**

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Return of the Obra Dinn - A fantastic and likely genre-defining detective game that was thrilling all the way through.
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The most amazing compilation in gaming. Clearly crafted with tons of hard work and love.
  3. Hollow Knight - The best metroidvania in years and one of the greatest of all time. Both combat and exploration are top notch.
  4. Celeste - A beautiful game that captivates players with a combination of gameplay, story, music and art.
  5. God of War - A game I didn't know I wanted but I'm glad I played. A fantastic reboot of a series that actually needed one.
  6. Forza Horizon 4 - A member of a saturated genre that does everything it can to surprise its players for many, many hours.
  7. Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! - I almost passed on this one, but after a weak start, the game picks up and becomes a wonderful adventure.
  8. A Way Out - The most overlooked game of this year, I think. Call your best friend and play it with them.
  9. Spider-Man - Doesn't try to reinvent the open-world paradigm, but nails pretty much every aspect of it.
  10. Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - Splatoon's best single-player content yet, by far. These levels are Nintendo at its finest.
  11. La-Mulana 2 - The most hardcore of metroidvanias. Completely unique, but definitely not for everyone.
  12. Holedown - The game that made me remember that the mobile games market isn't just lootboxes and microtransactions.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Celeste - Celeste is one of the rare games that I felt an instant connection to as soon as the first few notes of music graced my ears and the first few frames registered in my brain. It was an instant reaction I hadn't had since the title screen of Ocarina of Time and was reminiscent of the first time I downloaded this weird little internet file my brother sent me that contained the initial release of Cave Story back when the concept of what an "indie" game was in its infancy. There was an initial magnetic appeal to me that fully blossomed into unabashed love by the time I reached the games literal summit and has extended through my journey to complete and master every last nook and cranny of the additional content provided. Celeste is a complete package. It has style, it has heart, it has purpose, it has intelligence, and it has skill. It is probably my game of the generation and if it isn't, it is definitely on the short list with Cup Head.
  2. Octopath Traveler - Octopath Traveler remains a pretty distant second in terms of games I have played that have released this year because, frankly, I haven't really played many actual games from 2018. I enjoyed my time with it all the same. The battle system is one of the best-constructed JRPG systems I have encountered. The soundtrack is above-average to really great. The structure of the game can be grating at times, but I enjoyed the open-ness and freedom it allowed the player to follow. I could go through the stories and characters I enjoyed most on each Chapter first so I could power through the ones I did not enjoy as much being over-leveled. The style of the game is striking and a great evolution of the 16-bit RPG look, hopefully, they can figure out the blur (not sure of the technical term) used at the edges of most screens though, it was off-putting.
  3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - I hadn't played Tropical Freeze on the Wii U, so the Switch port was my first time experiencing the game. The game is just a really good platformer. I played it after playing Celeste so I didn't walk away as impressed as I could have been as it obviously doesn't have the same capacity for emotional connection in story and I found the difficult sections more frustrating than I did in Celeste just because the lack of immediate respawn. It still is a reallllly good game. Very smart design, good looking, good sounding, solid package.
  4. Night in the Woods - I wanted to like Night in the Woods even more than I did, but I couldn't quite get past the actual clunkiness of the game and the repeated loading times that bog down the game. The story and characters were great. The style and music were also very memorable. Switch port, it's on the list of approved games, so I am assuming I am good to put it here.
  5. Cosmic Star Heroine - Cute indie-RPG. Fast pace, correct length. Good battle system.
  6. Two Point Hospital - I didn't get to play this as much as I would have liked, but it is a solid and fun sim game. It scratched an itch I have had for a long time.
  7. Into the Breach - This is on my list, but I really have only put in about 3 hours into the game. It would probably be significantly higher if I had more time as I really liked what I have played of it so far. Somehow I did almost beat the game (2-Island clear) in one of my first tries, obviously, there is a lot more beyond that though.

Dec 14, 2017
  1. Destiny 2 Forsaken - I dreamed of such locales as fascinating as The Dreaming City. It's Rivendell, but in space. Also, the loadout changes and addition of bows and the new subclasses, D2 has never been so fun to play.
  2. Spiderman - Still haven't finished it, but it's actually the only brand-new game I got this year and played a substantial amount of. As a New Yorker I am having too much fun just swinging around seeing Insomniacs interpretation of the city.
  3. Resonance of Fate - One of my favorite games, now on PC (and PS4). It's not on the eligible spreadsheet, but it came out in October. I don't see any reason it shouldn't count.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
  1. Marvel's Spider-Man - Insomniac not only delivered the perfect Spider-Man experience but also the greatest superhero game since Arkham Asylum.
  2. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - Team Asobi has created the most delightfully creative platformer in recent memory.
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Rockstar is known to push boundaries in the open world genre and RDR2 is testament to that fact.
  4. God of War - Sony Santa Monica pulled the impossible, they managed to make me care about Kratos in ways I hadn't thought possible.
  5. Shadow of the Colossus - This PS2 classic is passionately brought to life in all of its current-gen glory. Bluepoint has become the defacto studio for great remasters and remakes.
  6. Hollow Knight - The best Metroidvania I've played in the last decade. HK is an eerie audio and forboding visual treat.
  7. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - The best 2D platformer in the last decade - wonderful artstyle, fantastic level design and a memorable soundtrack.
  8. Detroit: Become Human - QD's best game to date, starring an incredible cast of characters, locations and the single most ambitious multi-layered/choice story in video game history.
  9. Iconoclast - It's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that this gorgeous 2D action platformer was made by a single person. Bravo.
  10. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - The final chapter of Lara's origin story is better than expected. Its beautiful visuals and challenging tombs kept me hooked until the very end.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
  1. Celeste - Equal parts mesmerizing, emotional, challenging and rewarding, Celeste has undoubtedly left its mark on me. Matt Thorson and Noel Berry worked together to weave a harrowing story of a young woman climbing the mountain of self-doubt and self-defeating introspection by transposing the great Canadian mountain with that of starry wonder, entangling jungle wilderness, extraterrestrial ruin and the snow-covered passage of time atop an abandoned city. The platforming is precise, but forgiving; familiar, yet exciting; difficult, but fulfilling. The story of Madeline and Theo and their journey to overcome life's obstacles is one I won't soon forget, and with a ton of hidden levels, secrets and hard-to-get strawberries, is one that is replayable for years to come.
  2. Hitman 2 - Why mess with success? Hitman 2 elevates all aspects of its predecessor (minus cutscene quality), providing a deeper, more engrossing open space assassination stealth game. Taking out targets is like a complicated puzzle, one that you can solve in a multitude of ways either through intended story missions, secret methods, just with your original suit or with a bevy of prepared weapons and gadgets. Just completing each mission once is like calling Nier Automata finished after achieving ending A; obtaining higher-level mastery of each level incrementally peels back another layer of the onion that is each of these five engrossing, compelling and detailed maps, each serving as an equal pillar propelling one of the greatest Hitman games of the franchise.
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Smash Bros is back, and everyone's invited! The most complete roster the franchise has ever seen, Ultimate does what others in the franchise don't by bringing a World of Light campaign that continuously surprises you with its narrative progression. Each look behind the curtain brings a wry smile to your face as you uncover a familiar world. Unlocking characters starting from Kirby brings meaning to this mode while immersing you in the story's narrative in a fun way that will compel you to play for up to 20 hours in a playthrough. That's just the cherry on the top of one of the franchise's most envigorating metagames, offering a wide array of elite options and fun characters to play that are viable off and online.
  4. God of War - Finally; an actually great video game in the franchise! Who knew it took a coming of age story of a father and son completing a journey to spread their mother's ashes where Kratos isn't a bloodthirsty vengeance monkey for that to happen? The RPG-lite elements and open world design combined with Norse mythology, entertaining side characters and great voice acting/direction/writing come together to create something that I consider its own franchise. Hopefully, the next entry will do a non-shit job at telling literally any woman's story!
  5. Marvel's Spider-Man - Despite sharing many of the same "He can't keep getting away with it!" collectathon tropes of open world depth design (aka littering the world with micromissions and collectibles), Marvel's Spider-Man does what the Arkham franchise doesn't; makes me care about the world around me. It feels like a believable city filled with the hopeful downtrodden, and Peter Parker is just an unbelievably talented scientist struggling to make ends meet in its world. It's on the back of great characters, great performances and understandable motivations that help tell a great interpretation of the Spider-Man franchise; one that makes daring choices with its story beats.
  6. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - This may be a bit cheating, but the Yakuza Kiwami 2 remake (not remaster) is the best version of the best story in the franchise. Kazuma Kiryu's first look at attempted reformed life as a citizen quickly goes off the rails, and it's up to him to assuage concerns of a quickly spreading international turf war sprouting up in Kamurocho. Providing the greatest villain in the franchise, a ton of extra content and a touching completion to the story of the Mad Dog of Shimano, Yakuza Kiwami 2 is an excellent game that got its day in the sun once more in 2018.
  7. Red Dead Redemption 2 - When people describe immersive games, they talk about those that pretend to touch the level of depth on display in Red Dead Redemption 2. Arthur Morgan is just a part of a gang of outlaws perpetually on the verge of freedom, and it's how you live your life as the troubled cowboy that drives the story on a micro and macro level. Though it becomes frustrating at times to deal with just how sluggish the game can be at times (especially when looting or traveling anywhere), it's one hell of a story that isn't afraid to take its time and unfold at its own pace.
  8. Minit - A brilliant, short game, Minit's gameplay design revolves around a cursed sword that brings the character's life to an end after 60 seconds. This keeps the player engaged and calculating how to traverse the world and complete tasks in a way that maximizes the minute's capabilities, which are often (and sometimes completely) involved in finishing a task by the narrowest of margins. Despite being able to complete the game in roughly an hour, there are a ton of different secrets to explore, and everything about the game's world design is so particular that it begs for another go in New Game +. I just wish that you could travel the world once you complete the story, as once you beat the boss, you cannot go back to your file and get 100% completion without starting from scratch.
  9. Tetris Effect - This is the best version of Tetris ever. The visual aesthetics match with an awesome soundtrack to provide the purest version of puzzle gameplay. Had this come out in 1984, it would understandably take the mantle as the game of the year, but I cannot in good conscience offer up a remaster as game of the year when, essentially, this game has been provided with a new coat of neon paint close to 35 years after launch and dozens upon dozens of other versions.
  10. Paratopic - An unsettling horror game created by a talented team, Paratopic does what any great horror property does; set its own rules against your favor and compels you to enjoy it on its own terms. It's a short, fascinating look at a world that constantly has you unnerved and begging for answers to questions that will maw away at your mind.

Vitor

Oct 30, 2017
  1. Mavel's Spider-Man - lovely story, lovely gameplay, lovely art/graphics: this game has it all and it's FUN. It's not a perfect, tight experience like Arkham Asylum, but it's the most joyful I felt last year while playing games.
  2. Super Smash Bros Ultimate - the Ultimate in the title is there for a reason - this really is the culmination of Smash Bros and having every fighter and stage available in one game is amazing. The gameplay feels, to me, the best it has ever been.
  3. Hollow Night - what a delightful game, it consumed me for a month. It's a must play on the Switch.
  4. Return of the Obra Dinn - Lucas Pope does it again, I'm glad we have him to make games that feel this original and this great.
  5. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - this is the opposite of Obra Dinn -there's nothing original about it, but it's so damn well executed. They did a great job taking Origins and building cool RPG mechanics on top of it.
  6. Super Mario Party - I had a lot of fun with this over the holidays - it's an awesome game to play with family/friends. It didn't reinvent the wheel, but it did remember what was great about the early games.
  7. Ni No Kuni II - I liked this sequel as much as the first one. I love build-your-kingdom games, so that aspect of it felt like it was made for me. The combat was better too.
  8. Two Point Hospital - finally, after years and years, we get a new Theme Hospital in everything but name. I wish it had more to offer than the original, but the original was already pretty darn great.
  9. Subnautica - another game that consumed me after I started playing it. I love how it doesn't feel like the game explains much to you but everything feels instinctive and there's always something to work on, so I rarely felt lost, which is a hard balance to get in this genre.
  10. Pokémon Let's Go - far from the greatest pokémon game, it still gave me memorable moments, like seeing pokémon run in the wild for the first time and letting me fly on a charizard.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Celeste - I'd be hard pressed to say this is anything but one of the best 2D platformers ever made. The gameplay, story, graphics, and music are all sublime. This is an instant classic.
  2. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - It's the best Smash Bros. yet. Nuff said. World of Light is an awesome single player mode and the multiplayer is as good as ever. The only letdown is some subpar online functionality, but I've always preferred Smash as a local game anyway.
  3. Yoku's Island Express - A charming, funny, and incredibly unique spin on the Metroidvania genre. The game is short, but charming for the entire experience. I need more pinball adventures in my life.
  4. Return of the Obra Dinn - This might be the best mystery game I've ever played. Piecing together all of the fates took a great mix of deduction, logic, and old fashioned intuition. Throw in amazing score and sound design and I was lost in the Obra Dinn's story from start to finish.
  5. Dead Cells - Even more than Into the Breach, Dead Cells was my "just one more run" game of the year. I'd tell myself I was just going to play one run and end up playing at least a dozen. It's just a fun experience.
  6. Into the Breach - Turn-based strategy perfected. It's the kind of game I would plan to play for a few minutes and end up losing hours. Every loss was completely my fault and I knew it, so I would dive right back in to do better the next time.
  7. Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! - I was absolutely prepared to hate this game, but it's so darn charming that I fell in love. The main game is easy, but I never played pokemon for the challenge so I honestly didn't mind. I loved the updates to the core Pokemon formula and hope they don't ever go back to random battles. Seeing the pokemon on the overworld is a huge update that vastly improved the experience.
  8. Minit - What if, in Majora's Mask, instead of 3 days you had only a minute to save the world? The core concept of Minit is phenomenal and the gameplay, straight out of Link's Awakening, makes the experience engrossing from top to bottom. The only thing holding the game back is the length. I was able to 100% the game in about 2 hours of play time. That 2 hours was great, though.
  9. The Jackbox Party Pack 5 - After a lackluster 4, it was awesome to have Jackbox Party Pack back to form with the fifth installment. The new Mad Verse City, Split the Room, and Patently Stupid are longer form games ala Tee KO, but they've been a hit among me and my friends and have already seen a ton of play at parties.
  10. 7 Billion Humans - I thought Human Resource Machine was great but too easy if you have any coding experience. The parallel computing in 7 Billion Humans adds a great twist to the formula and the optimization challenges were satisfyingly challenging. Combined with the signature Tomorrow Corp dark humor, I loved the game.
  11. Hollow Knight - Honorable mention because it made my list last year.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
  1. God of War - I thought I was burnt out on AAA and single player narrative driven games and this came along and slapped the shit outta me. I've never been a big GoW fan but the trailers really intrigued me and the game exceeded all my expectations. The combat was tight and had depth that I appreciated, loved the story, the characters, the music and ambiance was great, etc. It also made me care about Kratos which I did not think was possible. Oh and the Leviathan Axe...recalling that damn axe. The best "remake" if you can call it that of any game ever...can't wait to see what Cory and co. do next.
  2. Dead Cells - Rogue like? Check. Procedural generated content? Check. The epitome of "one more run"? Check. This game is amazing, the gameplay loop is so satisfying and engaging. Trying to push yourself that much further and seeing what loadouts and strategies work the best is damn fun and when it all comes together for that magical run nothing comes close. The art style is awesome too.
  3. Into The Breach - I'm not a huge RTS or tactics guy, I've long wanted to get into the genre but always felt it was too daunting or that I wouldn't enjoy it...that all changed with ITB. I used to be huge into chess when I was younger and this is like the video game version of that, it challenged me mentally and continues to like no other game has in a long time. I mean I spent 45 mins. the other night and texted a couple of friends to get their input on literally one move I was about to make, that's crazy. I like the style, the Kaiju inspired story and the mechs, just everything. Another great thing I love about this game is I know I can put it down for a period of time, come back to it any time, and it'll all feel so fresh again. Amazing game.
  4. Celeste - This is the game that pulled me in the most this year emotionally and I can't believe I'm saying that about a ball busting, tough as nails platformer. Succeeding at this game and progressing really feels like an accomplishment and that would be enough on it's own but add in such a great story, music, etc. and it just takes it to another level. When people ask me why I love indie games so much and prefer them now to big grandiose AAA games...I point to stuff like Celeste.
  5. The Messenger - I'm a sucker for anything nostalgic, esp. anything that takes cue from the NES/SNES days and boy did this one suck me in. It's hilarious, the writing is genius, the gameplay is fun, and I loved the "twist" even though I knew about it going in. The game can def. be tightened up in spots and I can't wait to see if there's a sequel because I just know Devolver would nail it. It's a real retro game that is built for 2018 that knows where it came from and what it wants to be and I appreciate that.
  6. Octopath Traveler - Like I stated above with the RTS genre, it's the same with JRPGs...never been a huge fan of them but always was waiting for one to grab me. From it's debut I had my eye on OT...the glaring and beautiful art direction alone was enough to make me want to play it and once I did I was quite satisfied with what was there. The music is awesome, the combat was engaging and fun, and I really liked how the stories were varied and differentiated from each other. I know the grind and repetitive nature drove some people away but I didn't find it *too* bad.
  7. Diablo III: The Eternal Collection - I only played vanilla D3 at launch and got pulled away never to return so this was almost like a brand new experience for me on Switch. I love loot based games and man this game just kills that aspect and everything about it makes you want to come back for more...just a game where you sit down and want to play it for 30 or so odd mins. and suddenly it's 4 hrs. later. Seasons is a great addition and one I was immediately drawn to. Also I can't say enough about the actual porting of this game and how goddamn butter smooth it is on Switch and how it just works...everything from solo to online, esp. in Handheld which is how I use my Switch. An impeccable job done in that regard, don't know the sorcery they used but damn it's good.
  8. Forza Horizon 4 - The Horizon series has been my fav. racing series since it's inception and this is by far the best of the bunch. I love the locale of the English countryside and the addition of Seasons was a real game changer. This is a really good game to just zone out in and lose yourself, such a relaxing experience. I don't know how they'll top this but knowing Playground I'm sure they will.
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 - I'm a lapsed CoD fan but I decided to give this one a shot due to Blackout and I'm glad I did. The Blops sub series has always been my fav. and it continues with this iteration. Blackout is a ton of fun and my preferred Battle Royale experience, not to mention the MP is great and I'm right back in hooked to it. A great bounce back for CoD IMO.
  10. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate - I enjoyed World but wanted to experience the old school MH...that came with GU and it being on the Switch to take on the go was icing on the cake. The breadth and variety of monsters to hunt, esp. coming off of World, was refreshing and the QoL didn't really affect me like they did other long time veterans of the series. This is a game I'll be playing and coming back to for a long time.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
Here's my list so far for 2018. This could change if I buy/play a few more before the deadline.

1. Spider-man - This game. Seriously. If you haven't played it, you are missing out on the best superhero game ever. I just finished The Heist and even the DLC is spectacular. Amazing, even. And even if there were no criminals and it was just swinging around New York—talking on the phone, taking selfies, hi-fiving—this would still be one of the best games of 2018.

2. Detroit: Become Human - I am blown away by how good the story is, no matter what path you choose and how much I cared about all of the characters by the end. Truly some awesome performances and one of my favorite games ever.

3. Shadow of the Colossus - Beautiful. Serene. Fun. And makes you really, REALLY hate yourself by the end.

4. Moss - What a delightful little game. My only real complaint is that it's a tad too short. Oh, and why make a great trophy list and then include ONE IMPOSSIBLE TROPHY?!?! They should have just named that one "Well, I Guess You're Never Getting the Platinum, Now Go Cry in Arby's Parking Lot" Also, I'm now hungry for beef. But I digress... this game was fun, had an interesting story, is a clever use of VR and Quill is totes adorbs.

5. Wipeout Omega Collection VR - Technically, this came out in 2017, BUT the VR update arrived in 2018, hence... I'm including it. This game is like having your own personal rollercoaster in your living room. So many tracks, such a feeling of speed and intensity and you can play in VR against your non-VR friends online. Barf Bags Not Include.

6. Tacoma - I highly recommend it if you enjoy walking si... er... interactive stories—especially if you like having your internal dialogue go from "I wonder what happened here" to "THEY'D BETTER HAVE FOUND A WAY TO SAVE THE CAT!"

7. OnRush - This game is great if you like Burnout. The reason it's not higher on the list is there isn't a traditional race option and not having cross-console play means empty lobbies and racing online against bots.

8. Creed: Rise to Glory - I almost tried one of the more embarrassing ways to die—having your wife come home to find you face down on the floor, PSVR headset still on, Move wands in hands, shirtless and the SECOND opponent you face standing over your digital body, taunting. Also—to put this ranking in perspective—I JUST got the PSVR and have not yet played Moss or AstroBot. Had I done so, I'm sure they'd be on this list.

9. The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit - It's free and I love DONTNOD games. I can't wait to get Life is Strange 2 and see what happens next.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
  1. God of War - The new standard for single player AAA action games. Sony Santa Monica delivered a masterpiece that totally gripped me from beginning to end and it was also the first time I ever went out of my way to get the platinum trophy simply because I wanted to see and do everything the game had to offer. They managed to make the unlikable Kratos layered and sympathetic. They managed to make the story have gravity and the gameplay go well beyond the button mashing of the prior games into something weighty and satisfying. It is technically phenomenal and hits all the right notes from beginning to end. I eagerly anticipate the sequel to what is now my favorite PS4 exclusive.
  2. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - This is the game that made me buy a PSVR and the game that made me a true believer in the format. Astro Bot is a total triumph that continues to delight and impress all the way through. It never outstays its welcome and is full of fun surprises. This was a new 'Mario 64' moment for me and something I wish everybody could experience. Looking forward to more of this.
  3. Mega Man 11 - Every Mega Man game has a special place in my heart. It's one of my favorite franchises ever and it probably always will be. I was so excited for the announcement of 11 and that it has successfully modernized Mega Man without having to rely on the nostalgia of the old aesthetics. The game is lean, challenging, and a total blast to play through over and over. Welcome back, Mega!
  4. Dead Cells - In the last couple of years I have stopped fearing the roguelike and learned to embrace the chaos and failure. Dead Cells is a remarkable game in that it's one of the few of these I've played that I just kept feeling compelled to come back to over and over. It plays like a dream, looks fantastic, and offers plenty of satisfying challenge.
  5. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - I never cared about AC games until Origins blew me away last year. I was worried that it would be too soon for me to enjoy a game in the same ilk as Origins, but Odyssey impressed the hell out of me for several reasons. The world is lush and beautiful. The gameplay has been continually refined and improved. Most importantly, the new protagonist Kassandra is absolutely a joy to listen to and to play as. She is my favorite new character of 2018 and has made me excited about what Ubisoft can do with the AC series going forward. Ready for whatever they'll do in 2020.
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The biggest and best Smash Bros. game yet! There are so many options for fighters and all of the new inclusions (especially Inkling, Incineroar, and the Belmonts) are just a blast to play as. It is gorgeous, fast, and fun. I am so ready to keep playing Smash for the rest of the Switch lifespan.
  7. Celeste - This game came out almost a year ago and is still in the hearts and minds of pretty much everyone who played it. Touching story, literally perfect platforming action, a great setting, and the soundtrack of the year propelled Celeste to pretty much the top of the heap this year. An easy game to recommend to anybody who has ever loved jumping around in a game.
  8. Tetris Effect - It's not just Tetris. It's maybe the best and most immersion version of Tetris ever made and was mind-blowing to play through the journey mode in VR. I can see myself coming back to this time and time again to just unwind and get soaked in the pure gameplay bliss of Tetris.
  9. Beat Saber - The best video game workout I've gotten ever and the only one that didn't make me feel like a fool for dancing alone in my room. This is about as big a proof of concept for VR as I can imagine and is so easy to understand that I can imagine literally anybody having a great time with it. More people need to play this as soon as possible. It's a joy to be so physically engaged with a game.
  10. GRIS - Although GRIS is only a few weeks old now, it left an indelible mark on me. It is a slow-paced and somewhat somber feeling little indie game that just bleeds artistry. Each component of GRIS serves a greater whole and leads to one of the loveliest games of this sort since Journey back on the PS3. It is simple, effective, and utterly breath-taking.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Celeste - Tight gameplay, wonderfully vivid lo-fi graphics/animation, one of the best soundtracks of the year, and a story that made the title, logo, and overall theme resonate with me long after I was done with everything. W7-C goes down as one of my greatest gaming accomplishments in years. My only 10/10 of the year.
  2. Dragon Quest XI - Everything I wanted in a Dragon Quest mainline game and more. My favorite cast since 7, I really enjoyed the crafting system, and the NPC quests added nice context to the world. Beautiful visuals and a fun postgame took me all the way to the platinum trophy.
  3. Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - What a surprise! Despite the cartoony visuals, this was a challenging Metroid-style game with an excellent feeling of progression, nice animation, and a standout soundtrack.
  4. Dark Souls Remastered - For a game I felt lukewarm about based on early reports on the remaster's updates, I ended up putting 90+ hours into getting the 100%. Had a blast helping other players in co-op, and the minor changes added up to a much smoother overall experience compared to PtDE w/ DSfix.
  5. God of War - Terrific game with fun combat and a solid story. Also looked great in HDR on a PS4 Pro. Some annoying collectibles and I wish they'd done more with some of the other realms and pulled the camera back a bit for combat encounters, but overall, I had a good time with it.
  6. Spider-Man - Felt so good to swing around New York, and the main and subquests were excellent. Didn't care for stealth, the overabundance of crime/base distractions, and circuit/synthesis puzzles, but the game had really fun combat. I hope it distances itself from the Arkham titles more next time since all I could think to myself as I played it was, "This is the best Arkham game since City."
  7. Tetris Effect - Basically exactly what I wanted out of a Mizuguchi-helmed Tetris game, which was an excellent marriage of visuals and sound. Tetris DS is still probably my favorite modern Tetris title, but Tetris Effect also delivered an experience that ticked all the boxes for me.
  8. Yoku's Island Express - A charming pinball Metroidvania that has nice visuals and a catchy soundtrack. As with most games of this type, backtracking becomes a bit of an issue, and certain things are a bit obscure to figure out, but it was still unique and fun. I hope they do a sequel, and I like that it focuses more on puzzles than challenges. In fact, I don't think you can actually die in this game.
  9. The Messenger - Cool blend of 8 and 16-bit side-scrolling nostalgia. Has a super-strong start and then falters a bit halfway through. But once you get over that hump, I felt it finished strong with lots of new content, self-aware humor, and one of the best soundtracks of the year.
  10. Gris - Probably possesses the best 2D visuals of the year, and was a mesmerizing journey through its short few hours. Some annoyances in readability and the gameplay itself is very basic, but all of the elements came together to deliver a strong narrative experience.
  11. The Room: Old Sins - My favorite mobile game series received the fourth entry this year, and I absolutely loved it. Puzzles/rooms are satisfying as always to solve, dripping with atmosphere.
  12. Framed Collection - A mobile-based puzzle game that was included with Twitch Prime. Went in not really expecting much, but ended up having a great time with this one. Not as stylish as Gorogoa, but I liked this more.
  13. The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit - Really liked the themes of this pre-chapter to Life is Strange 2. I found myself relating with the main character a lot since I moved around several times when I was younger. Nice musical cues, and thinking about the way it ends still gives me chills.
  14. Florence - A refreshing experience that plays to mobile's strengths. Pleasant art and a story that doesn't necessarily go in the direction you think it will. In a lot of ways, it reminded me of La La Land in the way it portrays goals and relationships. It's over quickly, but is definitely worth experiencing.
This is every 2018 release that I rated as an 8.5 or higher. I also didn't include any games I haven't finished, although they probably would have made the list (like Astro Bot or Obra Dinn). Wish I had more time to write about each, but I want to make sure I get these in and counted before I forget.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
  1. MegaMan 11 - As a huge fan of MegaMan, I never thought I'd be posting this in the year 2018, but the game was phenomenal. Such a great return to form and mindboggling fast paced action, really enjoyed the gear system. I'm really happy with the game to the point where I was speed running it for fun and having a blast the entire time.
  2. God of War - This was a surprise to me, I was honestly expecting the worst. I couldn't think how they were going to make Kratos work in a Norse setting, but they did it, and perfectly. The game grips you with the story and doesn't let go with the gameplay, once you think you have it mastered the game becomes much more complex with new abilities and skills.
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - This game. Seriously, this game. With the year being as crazy as it is it's insane to even think this came out so recently. It consumed so much of time and pulled me into loving digitally characters so much. You feel for Arthur, you care about the group, and you're always drawn into exactly what the world is doing, whether it be wasting time mindlessly hunting animals, or just robbing stagecoaches, everything matters and it feels like it has a weight and brevity to every action and interaction.
  4. Octopath Traveler - An awesome return to old school style turn based battle with truly impressive sprite artwork. The game tells 8 different stories and doesn't fail on a single story.
  5. Dragon Quest 11 - The art work, the return to form, the fantastic story. This game nails damn near everything and does so with ease. The game is a masterpiece of modern JRPGs and is truly a great investment of time.
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - I love Smash. I can't really say much more than that. This game is Smash, every character, a neat and engaging story mode and all the characters across all the games.
  7. Monster Hunter World - This game had no right to be as good as it was. It came out after a bunch of rumors were spiraling the series about how it was going to be a dip in quality, but it was so much better than anticipated. It took what we all loved about monster hunter which was going in with friends and hunting these towering behemoth like monsters and gathering their dropped parts to kill more. It is such a great game and such a welcome to new people to the series.
  8. Iconoclasts - As such a big MegaMan fan and fan of old school platformers in general. I was so very pleasantly surprised by this game not only being a fantastic old school action platformer but also the great job it does by telling a story.
  9. Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom - After an amazing first release I was wondering how they planned on even coming close with the sequel let alone after all the time that passed. But they succeeded the game is great, art is great and the story albeit a little more on the child friendly side is still great to behold.
  10. Pokémon Let's Go Eevee - I love pokemon. This game is such a good reimagining of the classics. Just wish there was a proper battling and catching system.
  11. Bloodstained Curse of the Moon - Classic Castlevania love. This game takes a classic and reintroduces us to it. It shows how much love IGA has had for the series even after it's abysmal death at the hands of Konami. Also the spritework and music. Oh god.
  12. Spiderman - The only reason this game is so far down the list is, I haven't played enough of it. I love the artwork love the team behind it. Wish I spent more time on it, and now with the other games beat I can finally head back to it.

Last edited:

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
  1. Marvel's Spider-Man - of all the games I played this year, Spider-Man was the one I told all of my non-gaming friends about. I even posted a screen grab of Spidey on top of my company's building in NYC to our internal social network. The sense of speed is amazing and the fact that you can swing above the city so quickly and then drop anywhere you want to find something happening with no load times in between is truly remarkable. The story and voice acting were also top-tier and it felt like taking part in a Marvel movie.
  2. Celeste - I resisted playing this game for so long because I don't love punishing platformers, turns out this game loves me. Celeste does everything in it's power to make it feel like a warm blanket while playing. Loading screens encouraging you to be proud of your death count because it shows you're learning is a small, but powerful change to the messages that games like this normally convey. My death count was over 1000 and I never felt frustrated.
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Smash 64 was my GOAT game for a few years, despite never owning an N64. It came out while I was in high school and sleepovers were amazing with this game. I fondly remember playing a 99 minute match followed by a 99 stock match in one night. Melee was my college game and I clocked well over 200 hours into that with a buddy who beat me every time. Brawl and Smash 4 were disappointing partly because they lost a little magic, and partly because I didn't have anyone to play with anymore. Ultimate has brought back that magic, even playing against the CPU. Learning all the different characters movesets is a challenge in itself and I absolutely adore this game.

I spent most of 2018 catching up on games I missed in 2017, so I don't have a huge list for this year. I also played The Messenger, God of War, Yoku's Island Express, Octopath Traveler, and a few others, but none of those would make my list.

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
1. Marvel's Spider-Man - of all the games I played this year, Spider-Man was the one I told all of my non-gaming friends about. I even posted a screen grab of Spidey on top of my company's building in NYC to our internal social network. The sense of speed is amazing and the fact that you can swing above the city so quickly and then drop anywhere you want to find something happening with no load times in between is truly remarkable. The story and voice acting were also top-tier and it felt like taking part in a Marvel movie.

2. Celeste - I resisted playing this game for so long because I don't love punishing platformers, turns out this game loves me. Celeste does everything in it's power to make it feel like a warm blanket while playing. Loading screens encouraging you to be proud of your death count because it shows you're learning is a small, but powerful change to the messages that games like this normally convey. My death count was over 1000 and I never felt frustrated.

3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Smash 64 was my GOAT game for a few years, despite never owning an N64. It came out while I was in high school and sleepovers were amazing with this game. I fondly remember playing a 99 minute match followed by a 99 stock match in one night. Melee was my college game and I clocked well over 200 hours into that with a buddy who beat me every time. Brawl and Smash 4 were disappointing partly because they lost a little magic, and partly because I didn't have anyone to play with anymore. Ultimate has brought back that magic, even playing against the CPU. Learning all the different characters movesets is a challenge in itself and I absolutely adore this game.

I spent most of 2018 catching up on games I missed in 2017, so I don't have a huge list for this year. I also played The Messenger, Yoku's Island Express, Octopath Traveler, and a few others, but none of those would make my list.

Fix your post using the "ordered list" tool

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
  1. God of War - For me nothing comes close to what God of War achieved in terms of narrative, discovery, and visuals. Every time you enter a new environment is awe inspiring. The growth of Kratos as a character through the relationship with his son makes for an epic and emotional journey, specially with a couple of shocking and exciting revelations (with nods to the past) near the end, all fantastically told through a one-camera direction. And while the gameplay is not as innovative, the combat system and the Leviathan axe mechanics are really fun.
  2. Marvel's Spiderman - Sony has done for Spider-Man what Rocksteady did for Batman: they managed to take all that makes Spider-Man amazing in the comics, and put that into a game. Just slinging around Insomniac's digital recreation of Manhattan is incredibly fun in itself, but the fun combat and enjoyable story put this one into GotY territory.
  3. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - I am a sucker for 2D platforming, and Bloodstained's homage to the NES' Castlevania III is one of the best platformers you could find in 2018. It's got multiple characters, branching paths, a secret scenario to unlock, and a perfect 8-bit soundtrack from Michiru Yamane.
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - I haven't had so much fun with single-player Smash since the Melee/Gamecube days.
  5. Into The Breach - I was ready to quit this game after a couple of frustrating hours. I pushed myself to finish it and did so at about four hours in. 40 hours later I had unlocked all of the (very challenging) achievements. It's that good.
  6. Minit - It's Zelda on 60-second bursts of gameplay. The game design of Minit is truly genius.
  7. Tetris Effect - The only reason I rank Tetris Effect so low is because I haven't spent much time with it, nor played it on VR. But Mizuguchi's take on Tetris has turned it into one of the best audiovisual experiences in gaming history.
  8. Undertale - Beautiful story, beautiful soundtrack, and addictive gameplay. The way the battle system is incorporated into the storytelling is pure genius.
  9. Yakuza 0 - Though I played it last year, I'd be doing Yakuza 0 a disservice by not recommending it. Kiryu and Majima are two of the most charismatic characters you'll find in any game.
  10. Velocity 2X - Another one I played before, but which is still fun and relevant in 2018.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Led by arguably gaming's finest lead performance, this is the most accomplished and engrossing Rockstar Open World game to date. A top-down masterpiece, no question.
  2. Cultist Simulator - A perfect synergy of subject matter and user experience, Weather Factory offers up oblique card-based systems to give the player a sense of obsessively poring through occult books and rituals. Utterly enthralling.
  3. Hitman 2 - IOI continue to impress post-Absolution. This is peak Hitman and - goddammit - IOI deserve some recognition for that!
  4. Dead Cells - Bleak, cheeky and brimming with confidence, Motion Twin's fast-paced action rogue-like is sublime in the hands and hard to put down.
  5. Hollow Knight - Tim Burton's Dark Souls, this sorrowful and labyrinthian platformer offers a sprawling adventure to anyone willing to dig deep.
  6. Shadow of the Colossus - How can anyone leave out a faithful remake of one of the very best games ever made? This is the best way to re-experience this classic.
  7. Sunless Sea: Zubmariner Edition - Truth be told, I haven't actually played this version yet. Still, I lost so many hours (and part of my soul) to the original release, and I will take every opportunity to support Failbetter, wasted points be damned.
  8. Mark of the Ninja: Remastered - How can anyone leave out a beautiful remaster of one of the very finest stealth games ever made? Seriously, get on this.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Games I did not play but I'm sure they would've made it into my list: GRIS, Return of the Obra Dinn, and Astro Bot. Hopefully I'll get the chance to play them soon.

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
  1. God of War - An amazing journey, a visual spectacle, and a gameplay loop that was incredibly satisfying.
  2. Call of Duty Black Ops IIII - Battle royale done right. I can't stop playing this thing, and I thought I was done with Call of Duty. Excellently executed.
  3. Civilization VI: Rise and Fall - One. More. Turn. (repeat ad nauseam)

Try ro repost your choices. For some reason they were not picked up by the bot

Oct 26, 2017
California
  1. God of War - An amazing journey, a visual spectacle, and a gameplay loop that was incredibly satisfying.
  2. Call of Duty Black Ops IIII - Battle royale done right. I can't stop playing this thing, and I thought I was done with Call of Duty. Excellently executed.
  3. Civilization VI: Rise and Fall - One. More. Turn. (repeat ad nauseam)

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
  1. MegaMan 11 - As a huge fan of MegaMan, I never thought I'd be posting this in the year 2018, but the game was phenomenal. Such a great return to form and mindboggling fast paced action, really enjoyed the gear system. I'm really happy with the game to the point where I was speed running it for fun and having a blast the entire time.
  2. God of War - This was a surprise to me, I was honestly expecting the worst. I couldn't think how they were going to make Kratos work in a Norse setting, but they did it, and perfectly. The game grips you with the story and doesn't let go with the gameplay, once you think you have it mastered the game becomes much more complex with new abilities and skills.
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - This game. Seriously, this game. With the year being as crazy as it is it's insane to even think this came out so recently. It consumed so much of time and pulled me into loving digitally characters so much. You feel for Arthur, you care about the group, and you're always drawn into exactly what the world is doing, whether it be wasting time mindlessly hunting animals, or just robbing stagecoaches, everything matters and it feels like it has a weight and brevity to every action and interaction.
  4. Octopath Traveler - An awesome return to old school style turn based battle with truly impressive sprite artwork. The game tells 8 different stories and doesn't fail on a single story.
  5. Dragon Quest 11 - The art work, the return to form, the fantastic story. This game nails damn near everything and does so with ease. The game is a masterpiece of modern JRPGs and is truly a great investment of time.
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - I love Smash. I can't really say much more than that. This game is Smash, every character, a neat and engaging story mode and all the characters across all the games.
  7. Monster Hunter World - This game had no right to be as good as it was. It came out after a bunch of rumors were spiraling the series about how it was going to be a dip in quality, but it was so much better than anticipated. It took what we all loved about monster hunter which was going in with friends and hunting these towering behemoth like monsters and gathering their dropped parts to kill more. It is such a great game and such a welcome to new people to the series.
  8. Iconoclasts - As such a big MegaMan fan and fan of old school platformers in general. I was so very pleasantly surprised by this game not only being a fantastic old school action platformer but also the great job it does by telling a story.
  9. Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom - After an amazing first release I was wondering how they planned on even coming close with the sequel let alone after all the time that passed. But they succeeded the game is great, art is great and the story albeit a little more on the child friendly side is still great to behold.
  10. Pokémon Let's Go Eevee - I love pokemon. This game is such a good reimagining of the classics. Just wish there was a proper battling and catching system.
  11. Bloodstained Curse of the Moon - Classic Castlevania love. This game takes a classic and reintroduces us to it. It shows how much love IGA has had for the series even after it's abysmal death at the hands of Konami. Also the spritework and music. Oh god.
  12. Spiderman - The only reason this game is so far down the list is, I haven't played enough of it. I love the artwork love the team behind it. Wish I spent more time on it, and now with the other games beat I can finally head back to it.

Posted again because I never got a receipt from VoteBot.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
  1. God of War - A remarkable game from any angle. They had their work cut out for them and they not only nailed it, they went above and beyond. I love how they are very clearly building up to a larger conflict that will come in a later game, can't wait to get there.
  2. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - What a wonderful adventure. I loved just about everything this game put in front of me. The unfortunate music is the only thing that really stands out as a major flaw.
  3. Dark Souls Remastered - Really glad I was finally able to see what the hype was all about, and I'm really glad it held up to all that hype. I have been reflecting on this game ever since I beat it, and I have a feeling that will continue for quite some time.
  4. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - So glad I got into this series. The only major gripe I had with this game is that while Ryuji made such a powerful first impression, the rivalry between him and Kiryu doesn't quite ignite like I'd hoped, and it seems to kind of take a back seat at some point. But it was a great game nonetheless, bring on the rest of the series please.
  5. Mark of the Ninja: Remastered - A really smart take on stealth, I love that the mechanics are front and center. Almost more of a puzzle game, really. Glad I finally got to check it out.
  6. Marvel's Spiderman - Had a good time with the game, though the story could not possibly have interested me any less and I wish the villains had been more iconic. The swinging took some getting used to, and the combat could occasionally be frustrating, but I liked it. I think. Did I like it?
  7. Donut County - A clever idea that was well-executed, had a great time with it. Wish it would have been a little meatier, though. The Trashopedia stands out as some of the most impressive work, honestly.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Octopath Traveler - Finally a Squeenix RPG that took me back to the good ol' days.
  2. Forza Horizon 4 - I could probably play this game for eternity - in fact, if they never released a new one, I would.
  3. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - the best of the Tomb Raider trilogy. Great game.
  4. Fallout 76 - Was totally flabbergasted at all the hate for it. This was my most anticipated game of the year and it almost lived up to expectations.
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The ultimate (hohoho) Smash experience. I love it.

NMFried

Oct 25, 2017
TX
  1. Marvel's Spider-Man - An absolute masterclass in superhero storytelling. Everything from its momentum to its swelling orchestral score made for one of the best gaming experiences this generation. It may not be the *best,* but it sure as hell was my favorite in 2018.
  2. God of War - After bouncing totally off of the previous games in the franchise, Sony Santa Monica and Cory Barlog reeled me and didn't let go until the game rolled credits. This is a cinematic action game that feels so damn good to play. The weight of the axe and the emotional weight of the storytelling is something truly special.
  3. Celeste - The movement in Celeste is exhilarating, and its themes of overcoming and learning to live with mental illness is something I hold very near and dear to my heart. It helps that the gameplay is addicting, fast-paced and it doesn't punish you for wanting to be better.
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - This fighting franchise will always hold a special place in my heart, and Ultimate is a true celebration of everything that has made the series so great. The fan service, deep cuts and lovely new character additions help prove the game's title twice over.
  5. Tetris Effect - Not since Tetris DS have I enjoyed a puzzle game this much. This game begs to be played on a huge 4K television with the sound booming or with some stellar headphones, and it is absolutely transcendent when you get lost in it.
  6. Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! - There's no way I would have made a list like this without include a yearly Pokemon game. And while the game, on its face, is a nice nostalgia trip, there are some deeper quality of life improvements here that I'd love to see make it into 2019's game. Here's hoping!
  7. Shadow of the Colossus - I never got the chance to play the original on PS2, and I couldn't quite click with it when it was re-released on PS3, but it finally happened. I picked up this game with a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV and there was no going back. It's like playing a painting.
  8. GRIS - A last-minute title that really took me by surprise with its beautiful visuals and short, poignant story. This was the perfect game to cap off the year and a lovely addition to the Nintendo Switch library.
  9. Spyro Reignited Trilogy - Spyro the Dragon was one of only three games I took the extra effort to Platinum this year. and it truly felt worth it. The incredibly stylish Toys for Bob team did justice to a classic that shows it has aged well. Now, just get those subtitles in the game.
  10. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 - I always enjoy the Call of Duty games, but when I heard this year's would be without a traditional campaign, I was pretty bummed out. But between a great, new multiplayer suite and the polished Blackout mode, I had more than enough fun to round out this year's list with it.
  11. Yoku's Island Express - A lovely little pinball adventure game that served as a great debut to the concept. I'll be looking forward to what this team does next.
  12. Donut County - Going into this year, I expected to love this game a lot more than I did. It's not that I didn't enjoy it enough to finish it in one sitting, it just got a bit drowned out by everything else.
  13. Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - A special surprise from Nintendo this year during a slight software drought on the Switch. I was happy to see this game make it to the platform, though I may have enjoyed it more on 3DS with a stylus.

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
1. Octopath Traveler - Finally a Squeenix RPG that took me back to the good ol' days.
2. Forza Horizon 4 - I could probably play this game for eternity - in fact, if they never released a new one, I would.
3. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - the best of the Tomb Raider trilogy. Great game.
4. Fallout 76 - Was totally flabbergasted at all the hate for it. This was my most anticipated game of the year and it almost lived up to expectations.
5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The ultimate (hohoho) Smash experience. I love it.

edit your post using the ordered list

luciddre4m

Oct 25, 2017
NY
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - An absolute feat in storytelling and world-building that will not soon be toppled. I am in awe of the sheer scope of the game, the liveliness of the towns and environments, and breadth of gameplay systems working in unison here. I enjoyed this game immensely in all aspects (yes, even the gameplay) and am working my way toward 100% completion.
  2. Hollow Knight - I admired this game on PC from afar and was stoked when Team Cherry announced the PS4 port so I could finally get my hands on it with the Voidheart edition. I love the aesthetic, the tight controls, the brutal level of challenge in the endgame, and the great soundtrack. I'm blown away that this game offered so much for such a low price and was developed by a team of only a few people.
  3. God of War - I'm a longtime fan of this series and I was stoked about the change in direction this year. Satisfying combat, gorgeous visuals, a thoughtful story, and amazing characters rounded out one of my favorites of the year. An incredible gameplay experience throughout.
  4. Marvel's Spider-Man - An extremely fun game with a great story, engaging combat, beautiful graphics, and tons of cool Easter eggs.
  5. Monster Hunter World - My first Monster Hunter game. I quickly fell in love with the charge blade and I'm now a full convert. I'll be looking forward to playing Iceborne with friends later this year.
  6. Dark Souls Remastered - A remaster of my favorite game of all-time with improved frame rate? I'll take it!
  7. Dragonball FighterZ - My favorite fighting game developer taking on one of my favorite franchises is one hell of a combination. One of the best-looking games of this year.
  8. Tetris Effect - Renewed my love of Tetris this year with this game. The sound design is spectacular. Really enjoying the game in VR as well.
  9. Chasm - A really cool Metroidvania game with a great art style and wonderful music.
  10. Celeste - Enjoyed my time with this one. The story was a nice touch for the genre too.
  11. Moss - My introduction into the world of PSVR. I had a lot of fun with this adorable and engaging game. The diarama-style environments are a great gateway into VR.
  12. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - As a Kickstarter backer for Bloodstained, I was presently surprised when this came out. A great throwback and homage to Castlevania III.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanna say these have all been a joy to read. It doesn't matter who chooses what, or how closely each list resembles mine or the games I "want to win". I just love hearing people speak passionately about the games they enjoyed. This is currently the most positive thread on Era by design, so it's the one I'm spending most time on haha.

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Just wanna say these have all been a joy to read. It doesn't matter who chooses what, or how closely each list resembles mine or the games I "want to win". I just love hearing people speak passionately about the games they enjoyed. This is currently the most positive thread on Era by design, so it's the one I'm spending most time on haha.

That's why we're all here.

Our passion for this medium

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Tetris Effect - Scott Benson said it so much better than I could - "Tetris Effect is a period piece about the year 1999. It's all millennium optimism and uplifting dance jams. Tetris Effect wants you to feel alive. Tetris Effect wants you to connect to a universal consciousness." It's my game of the year, despite it being a game I've probably put the least amount of time into, but it's also the game that had the most mental and emotional impact on me.
  2. Forza Horizon 4 - The addition of seasons add a surprising amount of depth, beyond there being just so much to see. It's more than anyone could ever realistically do! But really it comes down to the fact that it's just so much damn fun to PLAY. Get in, and go fast!
  3. Dark Souls Remastered - My 3rd try getting into this game over the years and now coming off Ashen, and it finally clicked. Turns out obsessively following a guide so you don't miss something isn't a good way to enjoy a game about discovery and experimentation. Sooo good.
  4. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Arthur Morgan is simply one of the best written and acted characters in gaming, full stop. I have lots of other issues with RDR2, more than I can get into here, but playing through Arthur's story more than earns this spot on my list.
  5. Ashen - A late arrival to the list, for the 20 or so hour it lasts this is a fantastic Souls-like game with the dark of Dark Souls replaced with something nearing hope. It's muted visuals and soft lighting create a distinct mood, and the music is some of the best of the year. It also deserves credit for getting me to go back to the original Dark Souls and helping me finally understand it.
  6. Just Shapes and Beats - A perfect marriage of rhythm gameplay and bullet hell dodge em ups, this game had me grinning from ear to ear from start to finish. Some of the visuals are just gorgeous and all achieved with a simple two color scheme and basic geometric shapes. Fantastic!
  7. Paratopic - If there's one game on this list that I wish more people would have played, it's this one. It takes 40ish minutes to get through but it's a powerful mood piece and highlights why I love this medium so much when it's not just guns and open worlds. Lynchian horror!
  8. No Man's Sky - I was one of those people who actually enjoyed the original version of NMS, but like most checked out on the game before any of the subsequent patches hit. With the NEXT update though, I dove back in and had an amazing time. Closer than ever to the pulp sci-fi I want
  9. Marvel's Spiderman - Everyone's already said it, this game thrives on it's traversal. I found everything else about it a good time as well but just swinging around the city was simply too much fun. And in a dark dark year, this kind of exuberiently hopeful and bright game was welcome.
  10. Yakuza 0 - I still need to go back and finish this now that I've given up doing a Let's Play of it, but this game was something special and I'm glad it came to PC this year for me to check out.

Palehorse

Oct 25, 2017
Victoria
  1. God Of War - I have played all the other GoWs and found them nice time wasters with some spectacle. GoW 2018 blew them all away and really upped the level for action adventures. Graphics, voice acting, story, all excellent. And that Valkyrie Queen battle. Wew lad.
  2. Spider-Man - Mmmmm, the joy of swinging around NY. The thrill of webbing everything in sight. The astonishingly not-annoying collect tasks. I'm not there yet but I expect to 100% this game.
  3. Hollow Knight - I love Metroidvanias but not all of them do it well. HK managed to have tight controls and fun combat/jumping, while keeping it hard without being annoying.
  4. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I love the scenery. I love the 'take your damn time to do things'. It feels weighty. I don't like the shooting. I do like the game, and it's a damn fine creation for sure. Better shooting and more freedom during missions and it'd be a runaway.
  5. Into the Breach – Somehow I put in more than 20 hours into this game. It snuck up on me.
  6. Dead Cells – I keep going on this game. Run after run. All on the switch, as it should be.
  7. Return of the Obra Dinn – I love logic problems and this is a great example of one that requires deduction and observation. I wish I could go back and do it all again fresh.

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
  1. Marvel's Spider-Man - The web traversal really shines here, along with a detailed Manhattan to explore and memorable takes on some familiar Spidey universe characters that elevate this to my all-time favorite superhero game.
  2. Forza Horizon 4 - I loved it for its wide variety of vehicles, a beautiful open world, and just the right balance between arcade and sim.
  3. Octopath Traveler - I spent 130 hours exploring every drop of content this game had to offer. A breath of fresh air in the JRPG genre.
  4. Monster Hunter: World - The game that made me fall in love again with the franchise, with plenty of quality of life improvements that I appreciated.
  5. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Yes, it's a remake, but my introductory Yakuza game was 0 followed by Kiwami, so I figure Kiwami 2 is "new enough" to me. All of the brawling, humorous sidequests, and.. impromptu karaoke sessions that I've come to expect from the franchise.
  6. Dragon Quest XI - Another lovely old school JRPG that didn't quite top Octopath for me, but oozes (heh, slimes) with charm.
  7. Monster Boy - A fine successor to a beloved classic franchise, and one of the finest Metroidvanias of the century.
  8. Celeste - Beautiful soundtrack, satisfying platforming, and an important message.
  9. God of War - This was perhaps the biggest surprise of the year, because I'd never equated God of War games with good storytelling. I came late to the party on this one, so I'm still in the middle of playing it, but so far it's been an engrossing journey.
  10. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Kassandra is my new favorite AC protagonist. The mercenaries system adds another layer of challenge (and more loot!) if you let the bounty on your head mount up.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be an interesting year, man - scanning the responses in here, I don't think RDR2 has a snowball's chance in hell... which would be in keeping with a lot of the response we've seen to it on this board. I'm definitely staying tuned for the official list.

1. Into the Breach - A turn-based wasteland / before pixel kaiju burns / betrayed by the chess
    osEKdFR.jpg
  2. Subnautica - The underwater / Alone, survival dives / for titanium
    g8zQfKO.jpg
  3. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Sail the Aegean / eagle claws into cultist / heal your family
    2iQu9WA.jpg
  4. God of War - Sorrowing Midgard / an angry chained god axes / because of the bo y
    5rSkJE8.jpg
  5. Marvel's Spider-Man - Criminal city / a heroic spider swings / following his sense
    vpKPC0r.jpg
  6. Dead Cells - Rotting prison house / rogue-like headless levels / through many biomes
    vnchGPq.jpg
  7. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Fading loyalty / a redeeming outlaw robs / before the disease
    FiwSg0T.jpg
  8. Far Cry 5 - Big sky country-bred / A bloody doomsday resists / The rookie unleashed
    bjXp31j.jpg
  9. Hitman 2 - Perfect homicide / patiently Agent 47 attempts / in a new disguise
    2PXBIm6.jpg

If there was a "Resetera GOTY thread post of the year" this would be it. 2019 GOTY thread should require all haikus. (caution though: arguably your RDR2 post contains a spoiler)

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Hitman 2 - I came to Hitman 2016 pretty late. It ended up slotted at my 2017's 2016 game of the year. That game was endlessly repayable and just a joy to play. Hitman 2 is more of that. Very simply, and it's perfect for that. I have no complaints. They didn't try to re-invent the wheel or get too ambitious. In a year full of disappointments, this game did everything I wanted it too and did it perfectly
  2. Tetris Effect - This game is pure joy to play.
  3. Yoku's Island Express - I'm surprised that I'm putting this game here. I'm trying to think of how I feel about the games I played this year and this is the one that feels the most solid (outside of Hitman 2). It's a fun ride and a fun game to play through. It's a little frustrating at times due to the nature of the gameplay, but it's fresh.
  4. Gorogoa - I picked this up on a whim for the Switch this summer. It wasn't specifically mind blowing, or very long, or profound-- but it's well executed and it does a good job of making you feel smart and clever. It also can make you feel very stupid at times. I'm not sure I'd be here for a Gorogoa 2, but I really enjoyed my time with this one.
  5. Octopath Traveler - Was prepared for this to be a potential GOTY, but once it became clear that narrative was not the strong point of this game, my interest quickly waned. I've got about 20 hours in this game, and exploring the different environments has been fun, but once the rinse and repeat nature of the game reveals itself, it loses most of its appeal. Visually, it's so strong, but the rest of the game doesn't do enough to support that, sadly. I may return to this game after awhile, but it was hard to stay with it once I put it down.
  6. Celeste - When I initially started playing this game, I thought it'd be my GOTY. However, it quickly fell off a cliff for me in one of the first couple of worlds. I put the game down for months and didn't come back to it until recently. I think that the game suffers from being designed for a game that controls different/better. I played it on Switch and the number of times that I knew exactly what to do, but couldn't do it due to jumping in the wrong direction is astronomical. That is the least amount of fun I've had playing a game this year. Additionally, I thought the pacing was really bad. I like the idea of the story of this game, but I started skipping cutscenes after awhile. The interstitial were too long and not engaging or exciting. In spite of all of those gripes, it's pure joy to play at times and was a great experience.
  7. Night in the Woods - Played this for the first time when it came out on Switch this year. Not unlike Celeste, the pacing of this game is not something that really gelled with me. There are parts of the vibe of this game that I like a lot, but sometimes it just takes me to places that I find boring and drab, and it takes far too long to get away from them.
  8. Red Dead Redemption 2 - This is my most disappointing release of 2018. There is nothing about this game that should turn me off of it, but it found its way through a tsunami of game systems that eventually pushed me out entirely. I tapped out in Chapter 2. It was about the 5th death in a row where all I had tried to do was hunt some food to bring back to camp and something different, and random had killed me as I rode back towards camp. I want to love this game, and I'll try to love it again, but if I never play it again I'll be okay too. It is probably the $60 I regret spending most in 2018.

Those are the 7 games that were released in 2018 that I played. Getting old sucks.

Honorable Mention:
i.) Golf Story - If I had played this in 2017, it would have been close to the top of my GOTY list. An absolute joy to play, and truly funny. If I slotted it into my list this year, it would've sat right above Yoku's Island. Everyone should give this game a shot if you haven't already.

Sidzed2

Oct 27, 2017
  1. God of War - quite simply, a masterpiece in visuals, narrative, level design, combat - you name it, God or War excels in every facet. An incredibly brave reinvention of a classic franchise. Bravo, Sony Santa Monica.
  2. Marvel's Spider-Man
  3. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  4. Red Dead Redemption 2
  5. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
  6. Hollow Knight
  7. The Messenger
  8. Super Smash Bros Ultimate
  9. Dead Cells
  10. Far Cry 5

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
  1. God of War - Everything about this game was top notch. Terrific combat, a wonderful story, excellent production values. It reinvented the series while maintaining the spirit of the originals.
  2. Marvel's Spider-man - This game featured great traversal, fun combat and a surprisingly heartfelt story. Swinging around Manhattan was a joy and I was actually invested in what happened in the story. During Christmas, my brothers and nephews kept fighting over the controller to play this game. The game appeals to young and old, and it turned what could have been a cash grab into a terrific AAA game experience.
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - One of the best open worlds ever with a terrific protagonist and memorable supporting cast. When I'm playing, I can't decide if I should finish the story missions or just roam around the map robbing people and causing havoc. I am in love with the fact that you can go around and greet or insult every NPC walking around the huge open world. I'm still only on chapter 4, but this game deserves to be on my list.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
92e0e1cf4889671b4f076980d4c92b07.jpg

1. Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - Torna the Golden Country and the Octo Expansion are some of the best DLC content I've played; the Octo Expansion is the better of the two and it also includes one of the toughest bosses I've faced this gen.
  2. Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Valkyria Chronicles as a series are the kind of games I always wanted but that I didn't know they existed until recently. Sure, the writing is pretty bad, but the combat mechanics, the huge amount of characters, the superb level design, i.e. the game itself is super satisfying. It certainly deserves a spot as one of the best games of 2018.
  3. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna the Golden Country - Torna is all a good expansion for an RPG must be: it's refined the gameplay of the main game and its story enhances it as well, but at the same time the impact that the expansion can have on you certainly requires that you played Xenoblade 2 first. What Nintendo told you to try to sell the game is wrong: you have to play Xenoblade 2 before Torna.
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Super Smash Bros. 4 never grabbed me the way Ultimate did. Ultimate also has a bigger roster and tons of options and game modes. A total winner.
  5. Megaman 11 - All I'm gonna say (because I haven't beaten it yet) is that I'm glad that classic Megaman is back.
  6. Soul Calibur VI - Another game that I'm still playing. It's weird that they are calling it VI despite it being a remake of the first one with the addition of some of the newest mechanics of V and IV, but hey, it's more Soul Calibur and it's been ages since I had a ton of fun with V.
  7. Shadow of the Colossus - SotC is a game I like to play from time to time because of how minimalistic yet powerful as a game it is. This remake was a good excuse to go back to it, but at the same time I didn't like some of the changes that were made to it, particularly I'll always express my disappointment by the lack of the facial expressions of Wander from the ps2 version. Still, I think that Shadow of the Colossus is one of the greatest games ever made, I'm not exaggerating it really is that good.

Borowski

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
  1. Hitman 2 - I came to Hitman 2016 pretty late. It ended up slotted at my 2017's 2016 game of the year. That game was endlessly repayable and just a joy to play. Hitman 2 is more of that. Very simply, and it's perfect for that. I have no complaints. They didn't try to re-invent the wheel or get too ambitious. In a year full of disappointments, this game did everything I wanted it too and did it perfectly.
  2. Yoku's Island - I'm surprised that I'm putting this game here. I'm trying to think of how I feel about the games I played this year and this is the one that feels the most solid (outside of Hitman 2). It's a fun ride and a fun game to play through. It's a little frustrating at times due to the nature of the gameplay, but it's fresh.
  3. Gorogoa - I picked this up on a whim for the Switch this summer. It wasn't specifically mind blowing, or very long, or profound-- but it's well executed and it does a good job of making you feel smart and clever. It also can make you feel very stupid at times. I'm not sure I'd be here for a Gorogoa 2, but I really enjoyed my time with this one.
  4. Octopath Traveler - Was prepared for this to be a potential GOTY, but once it became clear that narrative was not the strong point of this game, my interest quickly waned. I've got about 20 hours in this game, and exploring the different environments has been fun, but once the rinse and repeat nature of the game reveals itself, it loses most of its appeal. Visually, it's so strong, but the rest of the game doesn't do enough to support that, sadly. I may return to this game after awhile, but it was hard to stay with it once I put it down.
  5. Celeste - When I initially started playing this game, I thought it'd be my GOTY. However, it quickly fell off a cliff for me in one of the first couple of worlds. I put the game down for months and didn't come back to it until recently. I think that the game suffers from being designed for a game that controls different/better. I played it on Switch and the number of times that I knew exactly what to do, but couldn't do it due to jumping in the wrong direction is astronomical. That is the least amount of fun I've had playing a game this year. Additionally, I thought the pacing was really bad. I like the idea of the story of this game, but I started skipping cutscenes after awhile. The interstitial were too long and not engaging or exciting. In spite of all of those gripes, it's pure joy to play at times and was a great experience.
  6. Night in the Woods - Played this for the first time when it came out on Switch this year. Not unlike Celeste, the pacing of this game is not something that really gelled with me. There are parts of the vibe of this game that I like a lot, but sometimes it just takes me to places that I find boring and drab, and it takes far too long to get away from them.
  7. Red Dead Redemption 2 - This is my most disappointing release of 2018. There is nothing about this game that should turn me off of it, but it found its way through a tsunami of game systems that eventually pushed me out entirely. I tapped out in Chapter 2. It was about the 5th death in a row where all I had tried to do was hunt some food to bring back to camp and something different, and random had killed me as I rode back towards camp. I want to love this game, and I'll try to love it again, but if I never play it again I'll be okay too. It is probably the $60 I regret spending most in 2018.

Those are the 7 games that were released in 2018 that I played. Getting old sucks.

Honorable Mention:
i.) Golf Story - If I had played this in 2017, it would have been close to the top of my GOTY list. An absolute joy to play, and truly funny. If I slotted it into my list this year, it would've sat right above Yoku's Island. Everyone should give this game a shot if you haven't already.

It's Yoku's Island Express

And i'm glad to see Night In the Woods getting some love.
Got the game very close to my heart

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Celeste - Through its gameplay, Celeste captures the manic sense of anxiety decidedly well. The controls are tight, the characters have real pathos and the presentation is very satisfying. It also has a substantial amount of content to master, but even if you can't beat it, the game never looks down on you. It's like a good climbing buddy in a sense.
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna The Golden Country - Xenoblade 2 has come quite a ways from its somewhat unpolished launch. Right now I think it's a very solid JRPG with very strong character writing beneath the classic shonen veneer, with content that can appeal to players of low, mid and high skill levels. The main thing that Torna brings to XC2 is the definite substantiation of the characters, it is evidence that the nuances in XC2 were not unintentional. And what results is that almost every cast member in these games becomes more clearly defined, their progressions more sensible, their flaws more evident and their relationships more understandable. The game also introduces new changes to the core systems of XB2 to fit the history of the world and these too fit into the progression of the themes and character, while also greatly increasing the speed of the gameplay to fit the scope of the title. The pacing, however, is not the game's strong suit, sidequests while having a lot of character to them and develop the world even further, are mandatory which may come across as padding for time. Still, the game exhibits many of Monolith Soft's Strengths (area pathing, landmarks, vistas, interconnected systems) while toning the weaknesses down.
  3. Into The Breach - Frankly, the game is a classic of the turn-based Strategy genre. It is reminiscent of checkmate puzzles where everything is a mate in 3 but the progression is dynamic enough (but the core gameplay discrete enough in its game states) to make the replay value more meaningful and exciting. This limited map size is a double edged sword but the merits come through more often and the game is simply pleasant to play and tease out perfect solutions.
  4. God of War - I'm more critical of games like these, to be honest. I'm not a huge fan of the AAA action fest of the day, but God of War displays a number of merits well enough. The combat while imperfect due to factors like the limited weapon and enemy variety is incredibly satisfying thanks to Krato's superb animation quality. The one take style of contiguous play experience is novel. There are great moments of pathos and introspection here but not without humor to complement it. The level design loops in on itself in interesting ways. The content is generally interesting to complete. It's a very solid experience.
  5. Hollow Knight - There's not much I can add that hasn't been said, the game is pretty brilliant, content-packed and beautiful. It's not quite super metroid, but it's the closest thing in quality.
  6. Dragon Quest 11 - This is probably the JRPG with the highest production values of the entire generation excluding the music. It's baffling how good the game looks and how everything animates. It's also one of the best DQ stories since DQ7. The mechanics and itemization are wonderful and the game is just a joy to play and experience.
  7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The best Smash game. It has the best balance so far, the best roster diversity, the best single player offering with oh so much character to it, the most amount of tracks, the best looking and animating smash game. It's a game that'll be played and revered for years.
  8. Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - This is the best single player Platformer Nintendo have made since Super Mario 3D World. It's challenging, diverse in encounter and puzzle design, beautiful in aesthetics and sound. It also features one of the best level selection progressions in a game this whole year.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
  1. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - A turn based classic JRPG that made me remember why i fell in love for JRPGs in the 1st place. Simple but well told story in a journey that felt epic.
  2. God of War - Its God of War reinvented. Great level design, combat system and story telling. Many things i was getting tired in the old GoW has been adressed and improven in this new title. Would have got the 1st place if it had more epic boss battles, witch was the only thing i still like more in the old games.
  3. Monster Hunter World - Was my return to the Monster Hunter series, playing with randoms online never felt so good. While is a more acessible game to beginners is still a hard game to master and the end game offers great challenges.
  4. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - The remake of Yakuza 2 with extra side content. Yakuza 2 still has one of the best stories in the Yakuza series and the side content with lots of mini games and funny side quests is what you expect from an yakuza game. This time running in the beautifull dragon engine.
  5. Red Dead Redemption 2 - The most impressive open world i ever saw in a game, so well crafted and full of little details. The story is also one of the best Rockstar works. Unfortunately the gameplay loop became boring the more I played it and the side content was disapointing for the size of the world. Lots of things to see, very little to do, but still an amazing game.

Dr.Thunder

Oct 29, 2017
  1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The most fun I have ever had with a smash bros game in a competitive sense. Probably the most amount of hours I put into a game in such a short amount of time. I really didn't expect to have this game be my number 1 pick for game of the year.
  2. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - I feel this game just perfectly encapsulates surprise for me. I was constantly surprised by the direction the game went in. No other game series really nails down the sense of an adventure quite like the Dragon Quest franchise does for me. The combat is immaculately balanced.
  3. Marvel's Spider-man - The sense of speed you get when you web-sling is great of course but the real surprise for me was how much fun the combat was. The story was a great addition to the overall fantastic line-up of spider man stories.
  4. God of War - Pretty much how to make a great game 101. Great combat, story, music, direction, and sense of journey. It did everything and it did it well.
  5. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I thing the countless amount of times that I just stood still in this game and thought to myself "well, look at that" pretty much says it all. The feeling of getting wrapped up in crazy event after crazy event seamlessly in the world was an experience quite unlike any other.
  6. Return of the Obra Dinn - I went into this one completely blind and was absolutely floored. The art during the death sequences are amazing and I really don't see enough praise for it's amazing sound design and music.
  7. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country - Everything I loved about the first game but better. I loved the more compact adventure. Bonus point for the fantastic music and the superior protagonist.
  8. Octopath Traveler - I love the atmosphere in the game very much. The story had its flaws sure but I still loved it nonetheless. The soundtrack carries enough wait for it to be in this position in my game of the year alone.
  9. Monster Hunter World - My first monster hunter game and it certainly won't be my last. I love the thoughtful nature of the combat where it feels like every hit counts and every miss could be catastrophic.
  10. Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - A far superior single player experience than the base games mode. I enjoyed the character more than I thought I would as well. Soundtrack is always a significant contributor in how much I can enjoy a game and this one is no different.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
1. Bomb Chicken - I played it through 3 times this year so it gets the nod. I really appreciate how much variety of control and gameplay they get from one button. The difficulty curve is as good as gets but those moving guns will give me nightmares for years to come.
2. Forza Horizon 4 - Stunning! Most fun I've had from a racing game in many years.
3. Into The Breach - Favourite ever strategy game, would happily take it to a desert island.
4. Gris - Very relaxing to play and beautiful to look at.
5. Hollow Knight - Favourite metroidvania in a long time, polished to near-perfection.
6. Celeste - Again, such variety from a relatively simple rule set.
7. Astrobot - Best VR game by a mile.
8. Dead Cells - Great fun and really well designed.
9. Bad North - Lost a lot hours to it this year, love the simple, clean aesthetic.
10. Yoku's Island Express - Really well designed game, lots of simple, unadulterated fun.

MrWhite

Nov 28, 2017
Netherlands
  1. Dark Souls Remastered - After playing Bloodborne, DS3 and DS2 I couldn't wait for this one (didn't play the original). Played it a lot and enjoyed every second of it!
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Absolutely insane what kind of world Rockstar created.
  3. Battlefield V - Best multiplayer game for sure. Especially when playing with some friends.
  4. Spider-Man - The Spider-Man game I dreamt of as a kid.
  5. God of War - My first God of War experience and one to remember, great story, great gameplay.
  6. Forza Horizon 4 - One of the best racing games I've ever played.
  7. Destiny 2: Forsaken - I loved Destiny so much, and altough the story is still very bad, Forsaken made some changes for the better.
  8. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Enjoyed the whole trilogy and think this one was the best.
  9. Sea of Thieves - Altough there wasn't much to do, I can't remember laughing so hard with friend about a videogame. Just pure fun.
  10. Ashen - Great game for people who like me, love Dark Souls.

Nyx

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utrecht, The Netherlands
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - I'm not a fan of the earlier entries in this series, but RDR2 grabbed me from beginning to the end, what a wonderful experience this has been.
  2. Parkitect - The best themepark tycoon game in years, it´s much more engaging than Planet Coaster which is more for the creative minds I guess. I just want to build and manage a themepark like in the good old days of RCT and Parkitect let´s me do just that.
  3. Marvel´s Spiderman - If you ever want to feel like Spiderman, this is the game that let's you experience that.
  4. God of War
  5. Detroit: Become Human
  6. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  7. BattleTech
  8. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  9. Dragonball FighterZ
  10. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Honorable mentions : Into the Breach, Far Cry 5, Football Manager 2019, Mario Tennis Aces, SoulCalibur VI, Two Point Hospital.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
If there was a "Resetera GOTY thread post of the year" this would be it. 2019 GOTY thread should require all haikus. (caution though: arguably your RDR2 post contains a spoiler)

Cheers! Thought about the spoiler but figured it would be too cryptic if you haven't played the game. Can't easily change the graphic but if I could....

Fading loyalty
A redeeming outlaw robs
He is out of breath

score01

Oct 27, 2017
  1. God of War - SMS knocked it out of the park with this. Never been a fan of GoW but this entry converted me. Great graphics, great combat, great story. Couldn't ask for much more.
  2. Spider-Man
  3. Detroit: Become Human
  4. Dragon Quest XI
  5. Red Dead Redemption 2

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. God of War – From its stellar combat mechanics, simple yet effective narrative, powerful chemistry between the lead characters, fantastic world design and top of the class audio and visuals, God Of War represents the best of the medium, breathes new life into a stale franchise and gives gaming's mightiest anti-hero a glorious return to form all in one.
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2 – In a time where open world games saturate the market, Red Dead Redemption 2 stands tall above all others with unparalleled world design, industry defining audio and visual design, a poignant narrative and extremely likable ensemble cast, delivering an experience that will be remembered and learnt from for many years to come.
  3. Monster Hunter World – Like the menagerie of monsters players are pitted against, Monster Hunter World is essentially a bigger and badder form compared to its predecessors with its meticulously crafted and intuitive level design and core gameplay loop miraculously remaining extremely fun and addictive even after 300 hours while also serving as an excellent coop game.
  4. Shadow of the Colossus – With just a reworked rendering pipeline and tweaked control schemes, Shadow of the Colossus still shines as among the year's best, proving that Ueda's classic from 2005 stands the test of time in most aspects and in some cases, still exceeds modern game design conventions especially with its physics driven gameplay even to this day.
  5. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Intentionally designed thoroughly like traditional JRPG's of the old days, Dragon Quest XI invokes a powerful feeling of nostalgia by keeping true to its roots yet innovating and incorporating modern mechanics where necessary into the mix to deliver one of the best JRPG's this generation.
  6. Marvel's Spiderman – Boasting perhaps the most gratifying traversal system in an open world game, Spiderman also features a mechanically deep combat system that feels and looks as amazing as its comic book depictions imply in addition to a surprisingly well written plot, in which the overall package stands as among the best superhero games of all time.
  7. Yakuza 6: The Song of Life – Self-aware yet taking full advantage of its ability to switch between comedy and seriousness in tone, Yakuza 6 is above all very fun to play where even the most mundane tasks are enjoyable while also presenting a powerful narrative elevated by a fantastic cast.
  8. Celeste – Beautifully animated with pixel art and brutally challenging, Celeste serves as a nice memento of retro games and a well-executed metaphor for mental illness. Thanks to its silky smooth platforming mechanics, Celeste is simply addicting to go through, especially when the challenge is just right, although it is occasionally let down by uneven difficulty curves.
  9. Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! – Although much of the core gameplay mechanics the series is renowned for has been dumbed down for a more casual appeal, Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! nevertheless remains enjoyable, delivers nostalgia every step of the way with classic environments remade in high fidelity and brings in new mechanics that are hopefully integrated going forward.
  10. Fortnite: Battle Royale – Perhaps the biggest game on the market today, Fortnite is an engaging game with a skill curve as high as its userbase and a great coop game well worth hours of dedication. Despite its lackluster gunplay and unbalanced weapon sets, there is few more satisfying moments than seeing Victory Royale at the top of the screen.
Honorable Mention
Far Cry 5 – While Far Cry 5 presents a surprisingly decent narrative, breaks away from many conventional AAA open world design choices that served as a template for its predecessors and overall remains a very enjoyable game, it ultimately lacked the drive to go fully into its religious themes and further cements that a fresh take is desperately needed by the franchise.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Rockstar shows once again that games can be art, elevating their storytelling of an epic western tale to be just as good as some of the best western movies. With a cast of characters as interesting as any Rockstar has introduced us to in the past, the game not only makes the Van Der Linde gang feel like family, but also manages to elevate the storytelling and plot of Red Dead Redemption 1, as we now know what John Marston's life was life before escaping west. With tons of gameplay options, you can even treat this as a western simulation if you want. And if you don't want to spend time hunting, cooking, playing games with the gang, etc, you don't have to, as RDR2 penalizes you so minimally that you won't even notice.
  2. God of War - While not really as brutal and violent as past games in the series, the combat is just as fun thanks to the Leviathan Axe, Sony Santa Monica's new tool in Kratos's arsenal. It's incredibly fun to use, and the ability to recall at will whenever you want opens up tons of gameplay options in the event you want to just use your fists and shield to stun enemies. The semi-metroidvania design of the world keeps old areas feeling new as more sections are slowly unlocked as you progress through the game, with the Lake of Nine acting as a great central hub.
  3. Marvel's Spiderman - (SPIDER-MAN....respect the hyphen ResetERA!) Insomniac has made the best Spider-Man game of all time, and one of the best Spider-Man stories of all time. Swinging through Manhattan feels amazing as you're given almost limitless freedom. Combat is fun and fast, with lots of variety and combos at your disposal.
  4. Dark Souls Remastered - One of my favorite games of all time only got better with a solid 60fps gameplay. This was also the first time I got to play through Artorias of the Abyss DLC, and it was excellent.
  5. Shadow of the Colossus - First time I ever played through the game, and it was mesmerizing. The colossi were a sight to behold, and discovering how to topple each one made each one a new adventure. The landscapes were breathtaking, and the music made each battle feel epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.