• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
  1. Return of the Obra Dinn - Very unique artstyle and game concept. A true detective game that tells its story beautifully with great voice acting. The only game this year that was so good that I had to force myself to stop playing it.
  2. Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - Perfect Expansion for a great game.
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The biggest and best Smash yet. It is just fun to play. The spirit fights are often really clever and compelling. There is so much to do in it and I haven't even had the opportunity yet to play it with friends. Although, I still haven't unlocked every character.
  4. CrossCode - It is very reminiscent of the old SNES RPGs, but with some modern touches and Story tied to MMOs. I played it in early access and not since full release, but it hit very close to my nostalgia so it is on my list.
  5. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - A new old Castlevania game. It looks and feels just like an NES game. I'm a sucker for those when they are well done. And this is really well done. This game alone made it already worthwhile for me to have backed Bloodstained. Hope the big game is going to be of similar quality.
  6. Octopath Traveler - Beautiful game in all regards. I really like the look and the battle system is not super boring. The stories, even though I'm not yet through them, are quite interesting. I'm not a big fan of JRPG combat, but this was compelling enough to make me look past that flaw.
  7. Fortnite: Battle Royale - I tried it when it came out on the Switch and I played it a lot since then. I'm starting to get over it, but I can't deny having fun with it, so it gets a vote.
  8. Destiny 2: Forsaken - Never thought I would ever play or like Destiny. Gifting the base game to Blizzard players got at least one person to buy into the expansion and enjoy it. Never knew how good a triple jump feels in an FPS.
  9. Megaman 11 - Huge Megaman fan. And this game did not suck, but I'm not in on the hype either.
  10. Dead Cells - Played it a bit. It's nice and I have a spot left.

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2018! You vote receipt is available here.**

Last edited by a moderator:

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
  1. God of War - Love (almost) everything about this game. My favorite combat ever in any game, 70+ hours later and I still wanted more and only stopped because I ran out of content.
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Probably the most well made game ever. So much attention to detail everywhere. Amazing world, so alive. The story dragged on the last third of the game but I still liked it.
  3. Marvel's Spiderman - Great story, good gameplay. Side content could be better.
  4. Shadow of the Colossus - One of the greats. Art-style could be more faithful to the original and Wander could not look like a doll but still a good remake.
  5. Dragonball FighterZ - I strongly dislike Dragon Ball. I think the anime is garbage, hate the art-style and the story is beyond dumb. But this game is so awesome. Hopefully will get this same game with a better anime next time.
  6. PES 2019 - Still the best football game around gameplay wise.
  7. Shenmue I & II - Buggy, bare-bone ports of these two classics. Still so fucking good.

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2018! You vote receipt is available here.**

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
  1. Marvel's Spider-Man - Nothing beat the satisfaction of swinging.
  2. Celeste -
  3. Monster Hunter World -
  4. Xenoblade 2: Torna - The Golden Country -
  5. Mega Man 11 -
  6. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon -

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
  1. Return of the Obra Dinn - Have never played or even seen a game like this before, and it's such a delight that it's also smart and engrossing. Fans of the medium need to play Return of the Obra Dinn, as it's another stellar example of what only video games can do.
  2. God of War - The best AAA game I've played in a long while. It has some of the most satisfying combat on this level of games. The world is rewarding to explore. While the story fails its women characters, it does have real compelling moments of high fantasy epic action and interpersonal drama.
  3. Monster Hunter: World - It's everything I liked about the old Monster Hunter games streamlined and just made more... beautiful. Finally the series gets to be portrayed at the scope it's meant to be portrayed. Here's hoping they make multiplayer even easier to get into in the next installment.
  4. Dead Cells - It's the best moment-to-moment-feeling game I played in 2018. Just about every kind of playstyle was fun, even with just experimenting with weapons and skills I wasn't any good at.
  5. Hitman 2 - Adore the ways IOI made the already brilliant idea of sandbox-style maps feel more engaging with all the new elements in the new levels like having to find the identity of a target and hunting down info.
  6. Into the Breach - A masterclass in paring down tactics/strategy games to a core mechanic of repositioning units on a board. The most elegantly designed game of the year.
  7. Vampyr - A vampire game that actually succeeds at creating the tension one would feel like as a morally sound human turned creature of the night who can only be nourished by taking lives. The social hubs where every NPC matters is another ambitious idea that mostly works. It does too many things that go beyond its budget, but it's something worth applauding. Also, dat music!!!
  8. Red Dead Redemption 2 - Damn what a gorgeous, bold, archaic, conflicted game this is. I love the audacity and the care they put into it. I hate that it came at the cost of such egregious labor exploitation.
  9. Iconoclasts - What a surprising little big adventure this was for me. I was lukewarm on it for a couple of hours, but the deeper I got into it, I was drawn into its world of political intrigue and focused character work filled with genuine pathos. The boss battles are clever and crazy, and certainly the best thing in the game.
  10. Donut County - It's hilarious and touching and straight to the point. Dope shit.

Oct 28, 2017
46813222371_73c1d13b46.jpg
  1. Marvel's Spider-Man - Spider-Man was honestly an amazing game to play with great characters. It was fun to play, and even with the tedious side quests it was still my GOTY
  2. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - I only started playing the Yakuza series this year and I'm glad I did, the characters are great, and even with the game having references everywhere and trying to be funny it has one of the best stories of the year.
  3. Yakuza 0 - I felt the same was as Kiwami as with 0, but I thought that Kiwami 2 just had the edge when it came to gameplay and story.
  4. Bayonetta - Bayonetta is a game I've been meaning to play for ages and when I finally did I loved it. The fighting in the game is its highlight
  5. Monster Hunter: World - This was my first Monster Hunter game, and I've put lots of hours into it. It's something that makes you want to keep coming back, and with the constant support it's still encouraging this.
  6. Unravel 2 -
  7. Inside -
  8. Detroit: Become Human -
  9. Soulcalibur VI -

Status
Not open for further replies.