Oh well, what the hell?
- Oct 25, 2017
It’s the most wonderful time of year! Time to spread the holiday cheer and vote for ResetEra’s Games of the Year!
Huge thanks are due to Muzy, Rösti, tgr_williams, ratrosaw, Hecht, and OneAndOnly, all of whom are reprising roles from previous years; their magic makes this tradition possible. Cerium, ColdSun, and B-Dubs also helped organize things this year.
The official rules and sample ballot are below. Please read carefully to assure your vote goes through.
If you do not follow the rules, your vote may not be counted. You have been warned.
Your post needs to look like this:
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Crunchyroll isn’t on Switch so this is the best I’ve got.
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Bloodborne was robbed.
- Death Stranding - Die Hardman.
- Gears 5 - They changed the name so it’s no longer “the other GoW.”
- Control - A game so good it’s impossible to Google.
- Resident Evil 2 - I liked this game in ‘98 and I haven’t grown much as a person since then.
- The Outer Worlds - It’s like the ResetEra of New Vegas.
- Apex Legends - Fortnite but with half the employee stress and a tenth of the success.
- Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order - The third best piece of Star Wars media this year.
- Untitled Goose Game - HONK.
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
- Death Stranding
- Gears 5
- Resident Evil 2
- The Outer Worlds
- Apex Legends
- Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
- Untitled Goose Game
- You must have at least one comment on your ballot or it may not be counted. The comment must be more substantial than "best game ever LOL" etc. Posting without comments may subject you to a ban. Do NOT post a ballot without any comments.
- Lists must be created using the ordered list option in RTF OR using "list=1" if using BBCode editor
- The game title must be bolded.
- You can use anything to break between a bolded game title and your comment. Hyphens, semi-colons, colons, etc.
- You may vote for any playable content released in 2019.
- The current spreadsheet of nominated games can be found here.
- You can list up to any number of games for your ballot. 1-10 will receive vote points. 11+ will be considered honorable mentions.
- Games must be listed using their full title. Abbreviated entries will not be counted. Copy-and-paste from the spreadsheet to be sure. Voting for "KH3" or "RE2" will result in your vote not being counted. You must use the full title.
- No reserving posts to hold your ballot until later. This clogs up the thread with wasted space and ensures that fewer people will actually see your list. Such posts will disqualify your ballot, even if edited later.
- No posting unofficial, preliminary results. This may influence voting.
Ready to vote? Get started quickly by copying and pasting the ballot below into your reply.
To ensure the parser correctly tabulates your ballot, please follow this format as closely as possible. Don't actually post "Game A" or "Your thoughts on Game A," etc
[LIST=1] [*][B]Game A[/B] - Thoughts on Game A [*][B]Game B[/B] - Thoughts on Game B [*][B]Game C[/B] - Thoughts on Game C [*][B]Game D[/B] - Thoughts on Game D [*][B]Game E[/B] - Thoughts on Game E [*][B]Game F[/B] - Thoughts on Game F [*][B]Game G[/B] - Thoughts on Game G [*][B]Game H[/B] - Thoughts on Game H [*][B]Game I[/B] - Thoughts on Game I [*][B]Game J[/B] - Thoughts on Game J [*][B]Game K[/B] - Thoughts on Game K [*][B]Game L[/B] - Thoughts on Game L [/LIST]
This year, all playable content is eligible for GOTY and Genre Award consideration, in addition to Platform Award consideration. In a change from previous years, there will be no distinction made between "new" releases and re-releases, ports, etc. If a port or re-release earns enough votes to make the list, that result will be respected.
- Game A - 4 points
- Game B - 3 points
- Game C - 3 points
- Game D - 2 points
- Game E - 2 points
- Game F - 2 points
- Game G - 1 points
- Game H - 1 points
- Game I - 1 points
- Game J - 1 points
- Game K - 0 points
- Game L - 0 points
Returning again this year will be VoteBot. Once your vote has been posted, VoteBot will parse your list and provide you a receipt that looks like the below.
Please use VoteBot to help ensure that your posts are formatted correctly. If VoteBot is reading your post incorrectly, you likely have formatting errors in your post!
------ Game Eligibility -------
- Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on.
- DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers is eligible. Horse Armor is not.
- Episodes of games released this year are eligible.
Is (insert game here) eligible?
1. First, check the speadsheet of eligible nominated games Note that this list isn't exhaustive, but if it's on there, you're good.
2. Not on there? Check the confirmed eligible and ineligible games listed above.
3. If a game you want isn't listed there either, and you're SURE about it, just post it in your ballot. We'll automatically add it to the list. If you're not sure, shoot me or Hecht a PM and we'll get it sorted out.
Are Early Access games eligible?
No, Early Access, beta, demo, and Greenlight games are not eligible. PC games must reach full release, or version 1.0 in order to be eligible.
Can I talk about somebody else's list?
Discussion is encouraged! Want to talk about another poster’s list? Quote it.
Can I use images in my ballot? I want it to be BEAUTIFUL!
Absolutely you can, but all numbering and formatting must happen as indicated in the sample ballot above, meaning your numbers cannot be within the image itself, and you must make the images work within an ordered list. Images should be posted AFTER the bolded title. ex: "1. Game A (img) - comments" or "1. Game A - comments (img)" You can use carriage returns and the like are fine for spacing out images.
My ballot is too long! Can I split it into two posts?
You should NOT split your ballot into two, because the parser won't read it correctly.
I want to change my list. Do I have to make a new post?
No, you can simply edit your original vote up until the deadline. Please note that ONLY your posted list will be read by the parser. If you wish to make ballot changes, please edit your already posted list!
My ballot was disqualified! Why?
Most likely, you didn't follow the rules above. What you probably did: You didn't number things correctly. You didn't write any comments. You listed the same game more than once. You didn't follow the formatting rules.
Can I order my list from 10 to 1?
OMG what about Resident Evil 2 and Kingdom Hearts III? Lots of people are using Arabic numerals. Will they be counted?
We'll be fairly lenient on variations, but the only way to guarantee that your vote will be counted is to copy-and-paste from the spreadsheet. But again, just because a game isn't listed doesn't mean you can't vote for it if you're sure it's a 2019 title. Just use the most complete and official title available.
When will the results be posted?
As soon as is possible given the copy-paste technology at our disposal.
Happy voting, everyone!