• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carcosan Stag

Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
  1. Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers - One of the greatest Final Fantasy stories ever told, and one of gaming's highest highs in 2019. Square Enix told a story in Shadowbringers that many full-fledged game releases struggle to achieve. The music, new jobs, new area and world, wonderful antagonists... FF14 is the best it's ever been. Can't wait to see where they take the series next.
  2. Control - Playing this with my SO was a wonderful experience. We both adored the worldbuilding, atmosphere, and eerie machinations of The Oldest House. But even beyond that, the combat was outstanding. Definitely excited for the DLC coming out next year!
  3. Death Stranding - I absolutely love the atmosphere and world of Death Stranding. The gameplay itself leaves a bit to be desired, but I don't mind being a mailman delivery person in this gorgeous, harrowing world.
  4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Being a FromSoft fan for years now, I had to pick up Sekiro. 100 hours later, I had every achievement. One of the best new IP's I've played in a while, though I have very little desire to return to the game after everything's said and done. It felt complete and wrapped up with a bow on top like very few games do. I would be very intrigued to know how they improve on a potential sequel, if it were ever in the works.
  5. Disco Elysium - Disco has some of the most impressive world building and character development of any game I've played in recent memory. The amazing skill system and dialogue driven gameplay elevate it beyond its contemporaries and beyond just about every other game on the market.
  6. Resident Evil 2 - After having played the original RE2 many, many years ago, I was eager to check out the Remake of such a beloved classic. Unsurprisingly, Capcom not only honored the original, but in many ways exceeded it and surpassed it. Such a great experience with tons of frightening moments littered throughout. Can't wait for RE3 to pick up the torch and carry forward next year.
  7. Fire Emblem Three Houses - The biggest and boldest Fire Emblem title yet, Three Houses was riveting, addictive, and extremely memorable. The characters become your family, their battles your own battles. Such a wide cast of characters can sometimes leave the personal stories of each of them feeling thin or under-delivered, but FE3H sails past that concern with flying colors. The combat and music are both outstanding as well, elevating the game to even greater highs.
  8. SaGa: Scarlet Grace: Ambitions - This one came out of nowhere for me personally. Wasn't expecting to pick up a new SaGa game in 2019 much less enjoy it to the point it makes my Top 10 GotY list! It's such a unique game, truly. The bite-sized events on the old-school JRPG world map make every locale feel alive and teeming with possibility. The story threads organically hidden throughout each region are fun in their own right while the main story continues on. The combat system can't be praised enough, honestly. It's one of the most satisfying combat systems I've played in recent years. I can't wait to play more of this and see more of this game's great chemistry at work.
  9. Super Mario Maker 2 - It's like the first one, except better in every way. Only things I wish MM2 would have is a World Map creator (so you could possibly make World 1, World 2, etc.) and an additional style like Mario Bros 2 or Yoshi's Island. Even though those are pipe dreams for now, the game still delivers countless hours of fun.
  10. Baba Is You - My favorite puzzle game of the last few years. Baba Is You does some very unique things with its gameplay that no other game has done, to my recollection. Super excited for the level editor support to come to the game in 2020.

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

Last edited by a moderator:

beezer

Nov 5, 2017
  1. Disco Elysium - Forget ZA/UM fooling around with Marks, Engels, whatever politics, beliefs, geopolitical quarrel, etc. they've put in their game. When you have generalized anxiety disorder, spiced with chronic depression and close to ED precedents of polydrug addiction - than you feel this game. I'm not trying to gatekeep, I'm just trying to tell you all, that DE has another layer, besides outstanding story, nice RPG-elements and jokes about alcohol hangover. Harrier Du Bois awakes every morning not just with horrible headaches caused by ethanol. He awakes with all horrors, addictions and dependences of his previous days with the thought, that being Superstar Cop is harder and harder day of abuse by day of abuse. But some of us, just like Harry, have to keep it up everyday nevertheless and stay Superstar. Until Pale finally devours everything.
  2. Judgment - Nagoshi is God and if not for sudden genius of DE, Judgment would be my classic RGG GOTY. This game has without any doubt best storytelling of the year, set in Kamurocho, but outside usual Yakuza quarrel, focusing on breathtaking pharmaceutical detective plot. It's very fresh take from RGG and I hope J2 is not going to be a long wait for us.
  3. Sekiro - It was my first ever From Software game. I platinumed it, I adored it and thought it was something unique. But then I played Bloodborne. Sekiro, still, is great game, that has special place in my heart.
  4. Katana ZERO - This game surprised me most this year. Starting just like nice indie with fun gameplay concept, it unfolds into a story with unbelievably bizarre plot and narrative. Set pieces, twists, piercing allure of mystery - it all leads to a great anticipation of a second installment in the series.
  5. Resident Evil 2 - RE2 is solid remake with too many obvious flaws. Capcom has chance not to rush things and nail it in upcoming remake of RE3, hopefully.
  6. Blazing Chrome - In a year when Konami vomited its abominable Rogue Corps upon us, there was a true Contra on the market. BC is hardcore, diverse and true to its inspirers game, with nothing short of gorgeous final stage. Final boss fight is masterpiece on its own and I can't stop recalling it through the whole year after completing. It was an amazing game even on Switch, which port has obvious issues.
  7. DAYS GONE - DG is very solid. It has beautiful world, good gunplay, awesome horde mechanics. If you ever said that DG is your another generic zombie game, it's very probable, that your mother used some prohibited medicaments, while being pregnant with you. Bend are in for a masterpiece with DG2 on PS5 with proper resources.
  8. Blood & Truth - London Studio heard our feedback on «London Heist» and delivered. My only disappointment was the fact that this can't be twice as long experience. But it's only for now. Bring B&T2 on, LS!
  9. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Light version of GoW2018 with beautiful Star Wars aesthetics. Respawn redeemed themselves after shabby «Apex Legends».
  10. Death Stranding - Kojima has done so many things right in this game. From infamous «postman simulator» to great cutscenes and main characters story arcs. Unfortunately, all the attempts to go all in into pseudoscience with everything about «Death Stranding» phenomena - is bad written utter bullshit and disgrace, at the level of pathetic Nolan's «look, physics is fun and horrifying!» in cheap «Interstellar», for ex. All the hype for mysterious setting was in vain, unfortunately. Worth mentioning, that somehow game keeps growing on me and starts to seem more and more important.
Honorable mentions: Slay the Spire, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, River City Girls.

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Ok, let's do this
  1. Astral Chain - Easily my favourite game of the year and an excellent director debut of Takahisa Taura. It's just insane to me how many talented people work at PlatinumGames. Can't wait for his next project. There are so many things I wanna say about this game, but I keep it short: I love everything about it. (60 fps would have been nice though ;D )
  2. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Rarely do I feel the good old Nintendo magic as strong as I did in this game. (Last time was Mario Odyssey) You can't really describe this magic, it's just there. It has the power to make me grin like an idiot through the entire game. Luigi's Mansion 3 embodies everything I love about video games. It is fun, sooo charming, smart, burts with creativity, has rewarding exploration and it constantly surprises you with fresh ideas. A stand out to me was the film studio floor. That floor was probably my favourite gaming experience of the year.
  3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - It took me a while to get into this franchise. Awakening was my first Fire Emblem game and it made me a fan of the franchise. Since then I've played Fates, Echoes and this year Three Houses. Three Houses is my favourite.
    The writing (Story, Characters) in these games felt always super weak to me. But not in Three Houses, they crushed it. Story is not even important to me in video games but there are some many great written characters and I've only played the Blue Lions route. Combine this with familiar Fire Emblem strategic combat, interesting new additions to the gameplay and you've got one of the best game of the year. I'm also happy that it was received so well among fans.
  4. Dragon Quest 11 Definitve Edition - This is a bit cheating, since I'm not yet finished with this game. But I'm far into the game, so I feel confident to place it that high in my list. It's just a very well executed classic JRPG and I'm a sucker for those.
  5. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Believe it or not, this was my first From Software game. I'm a fan now. I really wanna point out the world design in this game. It's so good. The layouts of the buildings and trees allow for such a good traversal with the rope. I love it. Combat is great. The final boss is my favourite boss fight of the year.
  6. Devil May Cry 5 - I really enjoyed this game. I think in terms of scope and variety (3 playable characters) it set the bar for future games in this genrre. It will probably influence Bayonetta 3 in that regard.
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - I could finally play this game. It's a very good and weird 2D Zelda. Oracle of Seasons/Ages next?
  8. Pokémon Sword/Shield - It's Pokémon.
  9. Slay the Spire - This year was not as strong for indies on the Switch as last year, imo. Last year we got gems like Celeste, Dead Cells and of course Hollow Knight, which is one of my favourite games ever. Slay the Spire is really good though. The gameplay loop is hella addicting.
  10. Cadence of Hyrule - A suprisingly fitting mash up with awesome music. It was short but memorable.
Some additional comments:
- I'm not far enough into Resident Evil 2 Remake, so I won't vote for it. It would mostly likely end up in this list, though.
- Same situation with The Outer Worlds.
- Ring Fit Adventure is an incredible product, but I decided not do inlcude it in the list.
- One of my favourite gaming experiences this year was shooting through Cuphead with a friend. Can't wait for the DLC.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Devil May Cry 5 - 10 years it took to get here, but boy, BOY did they deliver. Amazing game, game of the year easily, with gameplay second to none. The RE-engine is just magic.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I miss Tenchu, man do I miss Tenchu, and this isnt quite Tenchu, more like Tenchu-souls, but I guess we all need a little Tenchu-souls from time to time. Really fantastic game.
  3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - I didnt expect just how well Star Wars leads itself into Souls-eque wacky adventures but the result is pretty great! Just wish they'd fix up the stability and glitches cuz hoo boy, some of this stuff is just... wacky.
  4. Blazing Chrome - Its a Contra! A really good one too, if a bit short but thats kinda expected from this genre. That final boss tho can go eat a bag of...
  5. Castlevania Anniversary Collection - Does this count? I think it counts. At the very least Kid Dracula having an official English release counts for me. What surprised me the most was the post-release support with Japanese versions and customisable controls, latter of which being something even Capcom decided to skim with the X Collections. Pretty neat colletion of games, tho lack of Dracula X and Rondo is felt.
  6. Mortal Kombat 11 - A really fun game, probably the most fun MK ever gameplay-wise, but the grind even when nerfed is a bit much.

Wow I didnt play many new games this year lol

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
  1. Knights & Bikes - this felt like playing an interactive version of 'The Goonies', which just so happens to be one of the defining films of my childhood. The whimsy British humour helps carry the dialogue between Nessa and Demelza, and the art style elevates the games overall presentation to an even greater quality. These hidden gems are the best kind!
  2. Control - isn't it great when you felt a little bit underwhelmed by a studios previous games (Quantum Break and Alan Wake) only for you to fall in love with their latest game? Well, this sure took me by surprise with its clever story, interesting characters and visually impressive gameplay that slowly makes you feel like a God by the end Jess's journey.
  3. Death Stranding - only just begun this a few days ago, and I haven't stopped thinking about this game since. I struggled to begin with, as there is a lot to soak in, and lots of cutscenes too however, once you hit chapter three, the whole idea of the game itself begins to not only make sense, but is actually thoroughly enjoyable to play. Wish I had more spare time...
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - played this on my Game Boy Pocket many, many years ago, and I was never able to complete it, probably due to me being a five year old kid. Fast forward to the year 2019, I bought this updated version of Link's Awakening when I purchased my Switch Lite, and I loved every single moment I spent on Koholint Island.
  5. Outer Wilds - Game Pass does have it uses, by having you stumble upon the most interesting and thought provoking gaming experience I have had since The Witness came along. I did have an issue with the controls, and some planets were more finicky than others however, when all the good elements comes together, this is a galaxy that truly shines.
  6. Resident Evil 2 - Capcom finds the perfect middle ground between old and new in this sterling remake.
  7. Sayonara Wild Hearts - Simogo shuffles through a stacked deck of rhythm-action delights, mastering yet another genre.
  8. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Heart-stopping swordfights and deft, panoramic stealth waged across another vast, gorgeously rancid From Software landscape.
  9. Untitled Goose Game - Slapstick gaming at its silliest, Untitled Goose Game delivers brilliantly on its premise.
  10. Wattam - Some technical issues asides, Wattam is a simple little delight.

Other games I have played this year that didn't make my list:

• Crackdown 3 (Game Pass does have it uses, by saving you time and money)
  • Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fuelled (I prefer both the original PSone game and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe)
  • Gears 5 (what was once a 'big gaming event', this new outing feels somewhat pedestrian to play through, and the 'choice' at the end was a clunker of a decision)
  • MediEvil (a perfectly enjoyable game to play through on a rainy day whilst wearing my nostalgia glasses, but nothing that troubles the top ten)
  • Super Mario Maker 2 (I much prefer the original game on the Wii U, thanks to the combination of frequent updates — *glares at sequel* — using the GamePad to create levels, as well as being able to join in with the community on Miiverse)

I personally haven't played enough (less than an hour of game time) of the following Concrete Genie, Katana ZERO and Luigi's Mansion 3 to ponder about placing them somewhere onto my list.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - An amazingly cathartic journey that pushes players across barren, isolated landscapes driven by a story that only Hideo Kojima could muster. It's one of those games you can dip in to and relax with. On top of all that it's an audio visual masterpiece.
  2. Days Gone - Surprise of the Year for me. Deacon St John ended up being one of my most likeable characters this generation. The story outstayed it's welcome somewhat (the game could have been a few hours shorter) but it played well and the intrigue kept me interested. It's not a bad looker either.
  3. DiRT Rally 2.0 - It's OK but I only bought three games this year and it's the worst of all three. Not value for money but at least it plays OK. Nothing special. Wish I bought WRC 8 instead.

Synecdoche

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
  1. Death Stranding - A timeless work that has captivated me since the first second. History and mechanics go hand in hand to give us one of the most personal and humanistic games I've ever played.
  2. Kingdom Hearts III - It is a game with a lot of heart, any fan of the series simply can not get excited about it. All the pieces fit to touch the sensitive fiber and be a roller coaster of sensations. It is imperfect, but it is also a solid experience in the playable.
  3. Disco Elysium - It is simply a game so detailed and so magnificently written, that it implies a palpable evolution in terms of the interactive and the way forward in its genre.
  4. Control - A video game in which all his pieces fit noticeably. One of the most intelligently designed works of recent years.
  5. Fire Emblem Three Houses - Interesting story, well defined lore and a deep and satisfying battle.
  6. Devil May Cry 5 - It has an atmosphere so own that it hooks you from its presentation. It has the most satisfactory combat system of the generation.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
don't know where to ask but are we going to do a Top 100 games of the decade? An "official" list

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
  1. Slay the Spire - It would have been my GOTY in 2018 if voting for it were allowed. While my #2 had probably more impact this year, I am still playing STS a year later with hundreds of hours logged. If you have Game Pass, give it a chance. You'll know within a couple tries whether you are hooked or not.
  2. Outer Wilds - This was as good of a surprise as a game could get. The less talked about it, the better. Just play it.
  3. Grindstone - I ended up playing a lot of Apple Arcade games on my iPad this year, after previously playing close to no games on my iPad at all. Grindstone was my favorite of all of them.
  4. Hades - Like Slay the Spire, I think I initially played this last year, but couldn't vote for it. This game is just amazing work.
  5. Teamfight Tactics - I thought the AutoChess games looked so stupid. I can't believe how much I played TFT. So much fun when you get a grasp on how to play.
  6. Pokemon Shield - After disliking/not playing Eevee because I couldn't use the Pro controller, this was my first time making it through a Pokemon game.
  7. Days Gone - Unlike most on ERA, I didn't find it slow. The game is just fun to play.
  8. Sayonara Wild Hearts - Best audio/visual combo in a game this year.
  9. Card of Darkness - Super hard for me at first. Glad I stuck with it.
  10. Resident Evil 2 - I thought the original was a letdown after Resident Evil. The remake is a much better game.

Jan 2, 2018
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Hands down the best Fire Emblem to date, full with content, loveable, three-dimensional characters and great gameplay, music and story to boot! Edelgard is the best and did nothing wrong!
  2. Collection of Mana - First chance for the west to play Seiken Densetsu 3, first time for me to discover the Mana franchise and to play three phenomenal RPGs in one great package!
  3. Pokémon Sword and Shield - A bit rough around the edges, but the most fun I've had with a Pokémon game since HG/SS.
  4. Untitled Goose Game - It's so silly and fun, what's not to love? Honk!
  5. Anno 1800 - A return to form for the franchise, finally back in the past!
  6. Tetris 99 - The best Battle Royale Game in my book!

I didn't have much time to play this year, so Astral Chain, Luigis Mansion 3, SaGa and many other games still await me.

Garf107

Oct 27, 2017

1. Creature in the Well - Truly the most unique game I played in a while. Loved it.
  2. Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice - Another amazing game by Miyazaki's team. I'm not sure if it's their best one but it's definitely my favorite. Also the first (and only so far) platinum trophy I got.
  3. Slay the Spire - A true masterpiece, very clever and infinitely replayable
  4. Tetris 99 - Tetris battle royale sounds like a weird idea but it works perfectly.
  5. Pokémon Sword & Shield - A return to form for the series after disappointing entries on the 3DS.
  6. Fire Emblem : Three Houses - I really liked how all the characters are fletched out
  7. Baba is You - Very clever puzzler, maybe I'll finish it one day...
  8. SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
  9. The Legend of Zelda : Link's Awakening
  10. SEGA AGES Virtua Racing
Honorable mention: Control (not finished)

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Since Nier Automata, not a game has resonated with me as hard as Sekiro. The combat is extremely satisfying, probably some of the best I've ever experienced. It's a challenging but rewarding game, with a ton of attention to the details and a lot of memorable boss fights. While the world isn't as interesting as Bloodborne, it still has a lot of very atmospheric places. It's honestly such a perfect game, I'm really sad it didn't get any DLC, as I just wanted to keep playing it.
  2. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Despite Super Metroid being one of my favourite games ever, I've barely touched the Metroidvania genre. Bloodstained was basically my venture into those after a lot of years, and oh boy, I enjoyed it so much. The artstyle is gorgeous, the difficulty feels just right and the exploration is so damn exciting. It's a game with tons of love put into it and it shows. It reinvigorated my interest to the genre and I'm so glad about that.
  3. Death Stranding - Kojima made an experience, I feel that you can't really describe Death Stranding without experiencing it. It's all about those little moments that happen during your play through, and the interactions with the other players. Like, finding a spot to protect from the rain when your packages are getting wrecked, or contributing along with the others to make a road network. The gameplay isn't for everyone, it's probably a bit mundane for a lot of people, but I really enjoyed the whole aspect of planning your journey ahead. The story is a bit eye rolling at times, but I feel that the characters and the final message of it makes it worthwhile. It might not be the best game but it's one of the most unique.
  4. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - Sadly, I didn't manage to play this as much as I wanted, I've basically haven't touched it after completing the main campaign. Still, this is a great piece of DLC content. The new area is definitely the best one, and I think they really nailed the fanservice, with a lot of fan favourite monsters reappearing. It is its own thing, but it still feels like a celebration of the series.
  5. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - I got into the series this year, and after marathoning Cold Steel I and II, I started III. The core gameplay remains the same, but there were a few cool new mechanics like Brave Orders. Despite the gigantic cast of characters, I feel CS3 handled everything pretty well, giving time to both the new and the old class vii. As far as the story goes, I enjoyed this one the most, even if the cliffhanger at the end is just evil.
  6. AI: The Somnium Files - A very nice sci fi story, with cool twists and some moments that hit hard. I really liked that it's much more self-contained compared compared to the Nonary games trilogy.
  7. Devil May Cry 5 - Not a huge fan of DMC, but I thought DMC5 was very cool. Many hype moments throughout it and the return of a certain individual was really nice.
  8. Pokemon Sword/Shield - I'm a big fan of Pokemon, but that was a mostly disappointing entry. It still captures the essence of Pokemon and has a lot of QoL changes, but stuff like the story, the world and the wild area feel like missed opportunities. Not to mention that the game felt overly rushed in general.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - To me From's games are simply on another level. Combat is unmatched in this game and set a new bar for me.
  2. Outer Wilds - This game blew my mind. The cohesiveness of it all, a perfectly executed vision.
  3. Death Stranding - It had some issues, but loved the gameplay to bits. Bonus points for it originality.
  4. Disco Elysium - One of the best CRPGs I have played. The writing was amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers - The barrier to entry is really high, but oh so worth it. Shadowbringers is an incredible piece of storytelling told across a variety of fresh backdrops, and all of it wrapped in an unforgettable soundtrack. It also has one of my favorite villain story lines in an FF to date. I can't wait to see where they take the the Warrior of Light/Darkness next.
  2. AI: The Somnium Files - Even as a huge fan of the Zero Escape series, I have to admit this wasn't even on my radar this year. I picked it up on a lark and couldn't put it down. The opening is so strong and stylish I was immediately hooked. There are some problematic story bits, but overall I really enjoyed the narrative.
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - The most satisfying thing I played all year but also the most frustrating. I invented curse words for this game, but landing the final blow on the last boss was a tremendous feeling.
  4. Dragon Quest Walk - This is a Japan exclusive mobile game in the Pokemon Go style and I've put at least 900 hours into it since launch. It is a delight. The in-game events are really well thought-out and there's never pressure to spend money on the gatcha component. It's the perfect commuting game for me since I ride a train for about an hour 1-way. Plenty of time to collect pots and battle to my heart's content. I'll admit that a lot of this game's charm comes as a result of nostalgia, but I also honestly want to commend the development team for launching smoothly and not running it into the ground with nonsense microtransactions.
  5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Hard to believe that the series that was on death's door a handful of years ago released its best entry this year. Hyperbole, I know, but what a nice surprise this game was after the disappointment I felt with the release of FE:if (Fates). Shout out to my Golden Deer crew, and special additions Bernadetta and Felix.
  6. Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition - The best DQ got better? Yes please! The additional partner story quests were really great and just getting this thing on the switch in a presentable state feels like some kind of black magic to me.
  7. Pokemon Sword/Shield - I opted for Sword because the Legendary reminded me of that Dark Souls boss. I tried to avoid the internet dumpster fire that was literally every discussion about these games, but still managed to, through some type of dark osmosis, become tainted by the tidal wave of rage people felt towards them. I went in with low expectations as a result, but I think that was a good thing in a way since I was very pleased with the package. This felt less bloated than Sun/Moon did, and the Galar region, especially the Wild Area, was a blast to explore. The jump to a higher fidelity helped a lot as well, since the new Gen 8 designs are all, imo, great. I hope they expand on some of these ideas in whatever updated version of this they release in the next year or two.
  8. Judgement - Not much to say on this one. I thought the story was nicely told and, in a way, more grounded than anything the Yakuza team has done in recent years. Kimutaku as the main character will never not be funny to me. I look forward to this series continuing.
  9. Kingdom Hearts 3 - Simultaneously a joy and an utter disappointment. This is the best PS2 game I played all year, but like, I REALLY mean that in a nice way. Since there will never be an end to these games, bring on the next one.
  10. Astral Chain - Holy crap did this game knock my socks off. One of my favorite cold openings in recent memory. The actual combat is a little clunky and hard to get used to, but overall well worth the time I put into it. I just love this style of game so much.

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Devil May Cry 5 - The only way it could've been better is if Capcom made an official DMC 4 SE Nero costume. Mods take care of this on PC tho.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - This is how you do a remake! Great looking game, tight controls, faithful to the original. Well done.
  3. Katana Zero - Wonderful cyberpunk samurai 2D Hotline Miami platformer. The soundtrack is fantastic.
  4. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Castlevania: SotN 2, essentially. Something with some of the animation and graphics felt off, but it was a really solid metroidvania experience.
  5. Gears 5 - 3 player co-op has made this one interesting, especially on insane difficulty. I'm sure I could fall back down the rabbit hole of horde mode once again if I gave it a shot.
  6. Far Cry: New Dawn - Asshole gamedev spoiling the end of Far Cry 5 for people who hadn't played it yet aside, this was a pretty fun time overall. Especially in co-op.
  7. Super Mario Maker 2 - Everything I always felt I was missing out on by not having a WiiU for the first game... however, the campaign itself is something I found lacking. The online stuff more than makes up for it though.
  8. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - Solid enough 2D Mario, but still doesn't hold a candle to the greatness of SMW/SMB3.
  9. Astral Chain - Didn't get super far in this one yet, but it seems to be a solid P* joint.
  10. Bladed Fury - A solid Muramasa type game on Steam.
  11. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Still good, performance problems aside.
  12. Trover Saves the Universe - DIdn't try the VR, but it plays well enough in plain old reality. Some parts were utterly hilarious while others you could feel that Roiland got off the rails and didn't have a team of writers and Dan Harmon to reign him back in.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Just a quick note to the mods that the Excel Document has a typo on "Tom Clancy's The Division 2" (it's listed as "Tom Clancey's"). Anyway here's my list:
  1. Katana Zero - Never thought a smaller indie game would be my GOTY, but after much consideration I don't think I enjoyed the other games nearly as much as this one. The storytelling, mechanics, the soundtrack... Everything about this game was sublime and left me wanting for more.
  2. Death Stranding - Some love it, some hate it. I loved the storytelling, wackiness and uniqueness behind it all. It felt like something fresh, in a market that is often times seen as very safe. Kojima did it again.
  3. Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition - So glad I held up on playing this on my Switch, as it's perfect fit. The game still looks outstanding (specially in handheld) and the nature of the game being turn based and so long only makes it easier to play on the go vs playing on a dedicated home console.
  4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Loved this game and its characters. One thing FE does well is get you attached to these characters as they progress through their natural arcs. The transition to HD, although with a few kinks to fix still, modernized the graphics and set a good baseline for the series going forward.
  5. Astral Chain - I didn't think I was going to enjoy this one as much as I did. The different type of controls, together with crazy Platinum action and plot, set pieces and some of the best graphics on the Switch made this game a delight.
  6. Tom Clancy's The Division 2 - In a time where people expect GAAS servers to crash at launch or for the games to come incomplete from the start, Ubisoft took everything that they learned with their first game and applied it to the second one. Sadly once I hit End Game I moved on to other things.
  7. Call of Duty Modern Warfare - MW2 was what got me into FPS on consoles back in the day (and I then went on to play almost every game in the series before and after it), so I naturally had to pick this one up. COD to me is like the Fast and Furious of games, top quality visuals with the biggest star power and set pieces. This year's campaign was quite great, and although I can't speak too much for the MP since I only played a few matches, it felt and looked great.
  8. Apex Legends - Respawn pulled a Beyonce and it worked. I loved Titanfall 2, but was quite sad to see it be overshadowed back when it released. This got not only the attention it deserved, but also used the proprietary engine that had been used for TF2 and put it to good use. As someone who likes the idea of Battle Royale but hates the building aspect of Fortnite, this is the BR game I play whenever I have the itch to do so.
  9. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - One of my favourite Star Wars games of all time period. Respawn shifted genres but managed to not only preserve the magic of Star Wars, but make something quite fun to play. Oh you just gotta love the little droid in this too.
  10. Cadence of Hyrule - Such a fun idea by an indie studio that ended up feeling as real as any Zelda game in the series.

TokoLit

Oct 29, 2018
  1. Hypnospace Outlaw - Ambitious, fascinating, emotional, relevant, important. Gorgeously rendered polemic while, weirdly enough, simultaneously being very pleasurable and accessible.
  2. Death Stranding - Ambitious, fascinating, emotional, relevant, important. Gorgeously rendered polemic while, weirdly enough, simultaneously being very pleasurable and accessible. Intentionally repeating my content here, these felt like spiritual siblings to me.
  3. Disco Elysium
  4. Kingdom Hearts 3 - I'm a sap. So much better than expected.
  5. Zanki Zero
  6. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Imperfect but deeply pleasurable. I'm amped for my second playthrough where I correctly play on hard and no permadeath.
  7. Resident Evil 2 - My dream game, although ultimately a little ephemeral.
  8. Astral Chain
  9. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  10. Slay the Spire
  11. Katana Zero
  12. Luigi's Mansion 3

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Disco Elysium - One of the most well written and enthralling games I've played in as many years as I can think of, and one which always surprised in its absurdity. It simply had me completely hooked from beginning to end.
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. AI: The Somnium Files
  4. A Plague Tale: Innocence
  5. Vampire the Masquerade: Coteries of New York
  6. MediEvil
  7. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  8. Devotion
  9. Minoria
  10. Devil May Cry 5

fakeronjan

Oct 28, 2017
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - top-down Zelda is best Zelda IMO, and this may be my new favorite of them all! ALBW was my previous favorite game in the Zelda franchise, but I missed Awakening in its original form and this latest release just got its hook into me. What a masterpiece.
  2. Cadence of Hyrule - I was torn on which Zelda game to put as my #1 for the year. Cadence almost got the nod, but I felt like its difficulty curve was a bit more uneven and that offset the sheer thrill and novelty of the experience.
  3. Super Mario Maker 2 - The original is probably my game of the decade. While Super Mario Maker 2 is objectively superior in many ways, it didn't capture the gaming zeitgeist the way the first one did and that's kind of important for a game like this. Still, it's a blast to play with my son.
  4. Shovel Knight: King of Cards - Shovel Knight continuing to put out new campaigns is one of the best revelations of the decade. I am glad Yacht Club will be able to work on something new in the 20s.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
  1. Resident Evil 2 - This was just perfect for what I want out of the Survival Horror genre. Tonnes of atmosphere, it kept me unsettled but also empowered enough to persevere around that next corner and into that next room. Being stalked by Mr X was just the right kind of stressful and the sound design was fantastic. Those stomps haunt me, but also they were great for helping me to place just where he might be in my mental map. Speaking of maps, outstanding and extremely helpful map!
  2. Luigi's Mansion 3 - I enjoyed this game so damn much. Once this game really got rolling every floor was a delight and I really loved the boss battles. Some of the most fun videogamey-ass boss battles I've played in quite a while. And the game has an incredible amount of personality. The animation is just amazing and Charles Martinet was at his best here.
  3. Control - I love Remedy's unique voice in videogames. They always bring a fun twist to third person shooting and Controls combat might be Remedy at their best. An awesome set of abilities and a combat loop that most of the time inspired movement and aggression. The only black mark on that front was some of the boss battles. This was also the best delivery yet on Remedy's quirky use of mixed media and world-building. One of those games where I couldn't wait to read every new piece document, listen to each new bit of audio and watch each new video. The story could have been better but I loved the world and characters like Casper Darling and Ahti the Janitor. Ahti in particular will go down as an all time favourite. I'd also be remiss not to mention the game's fantastic environment and the mind-bending things it did with it. I can't wait to see what's next.
  4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I spent a good 100 hours with this game and still have a couple more story routes to tackle. I loved the characters in this game and the social element of it. The game does an excellent job helping you forge an attachment to its characters and while its combat was rarely challenging I still found it some of the most fun turn-based strategy I've played. My favourite entry since Awakening and one of the Switch's best games.
  5. Devil May Cry 5 - This story was just the most pitch-perfect anime bullshit. The game also plays super well, some of the most fun I've had in the genre and the most I've enjoyed the series. Nero was always one of the most player-friendly characters in the series with the amount of control he exhibits over the battlefield and in DMCV he's more fun and varied to use than ever. And then there's Dante. Holy shit. The amount of options, the sort of insane stuff he can do? It makes my head spin. Really cool game and I can't wait for more DMC. Shout out to Nico and her much-maligned but ACTUALLY REALLY GREAT, CHEESEY AND FUN accent. Love that character and love every one of her scenes driving the DMC Van.
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - I love me some Zelda and I absolutely love what Grezzo did here to bring the game to life. Beautiful graphics and I had lots of fun. Nice to get back to a more traditional Zelda after BotW, it's a formula I will always adore.
  7. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - I'm not a Souls guy, so boy am I thankful this game has difficulty selections and is kind enough to allow you to change the difficulty on a whim without any trophies attached to it. What I am a sucker for though is Metroidvania elements, and while that is also a part of Souls DNA I really enjoyed it here and very much appreciated the super detailed map. This game really needed another 6 months in the oven but even without the polish it's one of the best Star Wars games we've ever gotten. The core combat and powers are fun and the game has quite a good story even for all of its videogame macguffin chasing (almost as bad as TRoS's macguffin chasing ;p )
  8. Kingdom Hearts 3 - opinions seem to vary wildly on the combat in this game but as someone who isn't hardcore about it KH3 had some of the most fun and eye-pleasing combat of the series and the year. I just found the game a joy to play to be honest and never got sick of the joyous feel to all of the assist and attraction animations. The story was quite a directionless letdown after blazing through the series the month prior to release and growing attached to the saga and characters Nomura had built up but it still had its moments and I'll always appreciate the series core themes.
  9. The Outer Worlds - I've quite enjoyed a lot about Bethesda's brand of RPG since Fallout 3 released. The Outer Worlds saw Obsidian deliver a game in a very similar vain but on a much appreciated smaller scope, with far more polish and as expected, far better writing. I really enjoyed the world it presented and its satiring of capitalism. I had a lot of fun pursuing each quest and making some interesting choices, the game also does a great job letting you diffuse a lot of situations without combat. Parvati will also go down as an all-time favourite character, she was super charmingly written and voice acted and it was really cool to see some good, legitimate ace representation.
  10. Astral Chain - Once I came to grips with its combat and it unfolded more and more I really did have quite a bit of fun. I also enjoyed the mild puzzle-solving elements and those simpler moments in the downtime, doing little quests for citizens and such. The formula (and environments) could have used a little more variety but on the whole this was one of Platinum's best games

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
  1. Days Gone - This alongside my second choice were both pretty divisive games in the reviews. But I felt like days gone did a lot right especially so soon after finishing RDR2 which had absolutely no freedom of choice from the player throughout its story. Day's Gone has freeform dynamic gameplay. A unique horde system and a great story that redeemed an initially crummy protagonist. It had some technical difficulties but it's the game I enjoyed the most this year although it was a close run race between it and...
  2. Death Stranding - From the very first trailer I knew this was going to be something I enjoyed if only for the sheer intrigue of wtf was going on. The gameplay may not be the most engaging in the world. But between the MGSV style combat and stealth I honestly enjoyed the isolation offered in the delivery gameplay loop. Good story. Good performances. Amazing visuals.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - A game that proved me wrong. I still prefer the original and I still think a REmake style faithful remake would have been better. But for what it did and the changes it made I think it worked amazingly well. It took the few good aspects of the OTS Resi series and combined them with the awesome bits of the traditional trilogy. Was it as good or as ascary as Resi7? No. Did I love the way they handled both character playthroughs? No. But it was still damn good...looked pretty good too.
  4. Untitled Goose Game - This one came out of the left field a little for me. And very late in the year on PS4. It's not particularly long or particularly difficult. But it has a lovely style and lets you harass a small English village with comedy hitman-style objectives. Super fun...if a little short lived. I'm really hoping the viral success gives us some DLC because it's length is really the only negative I can raise against it. Super charming!
  5. Blood and Truth - Not a whole lot of big budget, big release PSVR games get released. But this is such a bloody good one. I LOVED the London Heist minigame back when PSVR came out. Massive grin on my face through the entire thing. And this just takes that concept and runs with it. Classic Timecrisis lightgun style action. It's funny that 2 of the best PSVR games are ones that started out as simple tech demos back when PSVR launched (Astro Bot being the other)
  6. Luigi's Mansion 3 - I never actually played the previous Luigi's mansion games besides a small blast round a friend's of the first one, so this was a bit of a blind buy which is pretty unheard of for me especially 3 games into a franchise. But I LOVE it. It's super fun. Super varied (more so than what I saw of the first 2 games too). And the visuals are some of the nicest I've seen on the switch. More games like this please Nintendo!
  7. Control - Would have likely ranked higher if it launched in a decent state on base consoles. But this is by far my favourite remedy game since Max Payne. It's combat isnt the most original but it is very fun and engaging. The world they've built is super trippy and super intriguing. The characters are excellent and perfectly voiced and the visuals are beautiful. Almost washed the bad taste of Quantum Break out of my mouth...almost.
  8. Borderlands 3 - There's not a lot to say about this tbh. It's Borderlands...if you didn't like it before this isn't going to change anyone's mind. If you did. It's more of the same. I wanted more Borderlands so I loved it. Quirky humour. Nice stylised visuals. And that sweet sweet loot!
  9. No Man's Sky Beyond - A game changer...literally. The PSVR support made a game I already loved even better. I can get lost in that world and it's systems for hours and do so pretty regularly.
  10. Metalwolf Chaos XD - Can't imagine this will be on many other people's lists. But I go through these periods of wanting pure, simple old school style fun and this game delivers that in spades. It's like my EDF type guilty pleasure of 2019 and I loved it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice -No one touches Miyazaki and From on a level of consistent output and Sekiro is a shining example as to why. The best boss fights in any game ever. The gameplay and posture system are incredibly genius design that makes sword fights feel like actual sword fights. And unlike a lot of other Soulsborne games, this one stays strong start to finish with arguably the best final boss (and best boss in general) ever.
  2. Resident Evil 2 Remake- I never played the original, which is strange since Ive played most of the mainline entries. While I felt the back half wasn't that great, the first act in the police station was THAT good of an experience that i would rank it here. Zombies are terrifying in the ways they move. Mr X constantly chasing you around made thinking on the run a necessity.
  3. Death Stranding- A lot of this game didn't work for me. In fact, a lot of it was some of the worst experiences I have ever had with a game. The story and themes was sophomoric trash. The characters weren't character but exposition dumps. And the ending was so bad I stopped it half way through and just returned the game. And with all that said, I still would rank it here because the first 35-40 hours were some of the best experiences I had this gen (which is my favorite gen of all time). The world Kojima created is so unique and interesting. Being a deliveryman set in a world this messed up is interesting and I liked working my way through BTs and evil delivery men trying to steal my stuff. The MP stuff and how your world effects everyone else was the highlight, with me spending several sessions just contributing to the structures to help other people. Not for the stars or ratings or the rewards, but just because I knew it was going to help others make progress-which is exactly what this game was about. I can't recommend this to everyone, but i it looks like something you'd be interested in and don't care for the shit story or characters, check it out.
  4. Apex Legends- All I know is when the word got out this game was a titanfall game without titans I was livid. But Respawn can do no wrong and made an incredible BR in a market over saturated with BR games. Respawn beacons were SUCH a good addition. The ping system is a revolution to multiplayer gaming and should be implemented in more games. The movement and shooting are all what you would expect from a respawn game. And its free.
  5. Devil May Cry 5- I loved all 3 playable characters in this and as a lapsed DmC fan it was great to be brought back into the fold with some of the biggest character move sets in a gaming. Now if only the level design could match that effort, or if enemies didn't just stand around letting you wallop on them (but I supposed thats the design of the game)
  6. Mario Maker 2- Mario maker but more AND an addition of zelda levels now? Online play isn't up to par, and I wish Nintendo was a bit more open about what the plans are for this game, but infinite mario is never a bad choice.
  7. Luigi's Mansion 3- Great return to the series with tons of content, multiplayer, and some of Nintendo's best boss encounters.
  8. The Outerworlds - First time Ive enjoyed a fallout game since 3. Hopefully next go around with this series will have a bit more consequence to decisions you make in the world.
  9. Gears of War 5- Its a pretty standard gears addition to the franchise with some unique twists to modes. Gears fans will be happy.
  10. Kingdom Hearts 3 - I debated adding this. Its an alright game. It sometimes has the KH charm that a lot of us who only played the main line games were looking for. But too often it felt like a relic of the past that didn't do enough to push the franchise forward, with a lackluster story that did nothing until the last couple hours of play, and worst of all is no FF characters. BUT if youve been waiting 13 years for this like I have, you owe it to yourself to play this.

don't know where to ask but are we going to do a Top 100 games of the decade? An "official" list
This would be so cool!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
  1. Outer Wilds - Profound story with gameplay elements that evoked feelings and sensations no other game has every done before. Constant dread and wonder throughout
  2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - A Dwarf Fortress-lite that provides the sense of wholesome community Animal Crossing thrives on while also automating the imaginary functions of rooms and homes one would build in minecraft to make the ultimate community-building game available.
  3. AI Dungeon - AI Dungeon 2, is what it is also known as and this showed up out of nowhere and completely wrecked me. This is like the dream game I had in the early 90's. An AI-driven Text adventure that can crunch out a response to any action you input. /revert is the rewind mechanic of the decade.
  4. Wargroove - It's been years since Advance Wars has been around and this is a game I put more time into than Advance Wars. The editors and gameplay are all top-notch and provide the space for endless play with friends, randoms, and AI.
  5. A Short Hike - A late addition, but it ticked boxes for Animal Crossing and exploration nicely.
  6. Ringfit Adventure - Another game that impressed out of nowhere. I need to be more diligent about playing, but nothing has made me feel excited to exercise. I wish there were some more game-ified elements (such as realizing I"ve spent 30mins fighting the dragon boss and though he needs another "rep" just let me finish him off when I have no more smoothies. Crushing to be so close and the workout not really "payoff" in the game even though my muscles are shaking.
  7. No Man's Sky Beyond - I purchased a PSVR just to experience the game I've put the most time into this generation in VR. Unfortunately I felt sick any time I played, but I still kept trying. I will return to VR mode once I have a PC setup, but the non-VR game is at the best it's ever been currently.
  8. Killer Queen Black - An arcade experience finally available for the masses. Though it loses some of the oomph when playing in separate rooms across the country, the gameplay is perfect and matches are always intense. Worth it on Switch and/or PC.
  9. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled - This took me by surprise how good it felt to drift and get better at drifting. More hooks than Mario Kart to keep people playing and returning, but I still prefer the battle mode of Mario Kart. That said, the roster and alternate costumes really grew on me and I ended up having more favorites I want to choose than I did in Mario Kart 8.
  10. Daemon X Machina - A mix of Armored Core and Monster Hunter. I was sucked in from the 2nd demo and powered through all of the content for online play. Unfortunately by the time PvP finally came out I was so rusty and the playerbase was so small I couldn't get back into the swing of things. Those first couple weeks were great though and I hope an update or sequel can explode the ideas here out much like the sequel(s) to Monster Hunter did. Solid controls and visuals with tons of customization.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice -No one touches Miyazaki and From on a level of consistent output and Sekiro is a shining example as to why. The best boss fights in any game ever. The gameplay and posture system are incredibly genius design that makes sword fights feel like actual sword fights. And unlike a lot of other Soulsborne games, this one stays strong start to finish with arguably the best final boss (and best boss in general) ever.
2. Resident Evil 2 Remake- I never played the original, which is strange since Ive played most of the mainline entries. While I felt the back half wasn't that great, the first act in the police station was THAT good of an experience that i would rank it here. Zombies are terrifying in the ways they move. Mr X constantly chasing you around made thinking on the run a necessity.
3. Death Stranding- A lot of this game didn't work for me. In fact, a lot of it was some of the worst experiences I have ever had with a game. The story and themes was sophomoric trash. The characters weren't character but exposition dumps. And the ending was so bad I stopped it half way through and just returned the game. And with all that said, I still would rank it here because the first 35-40 hours were some of the best experiences I had this gen (which is my favorite gen of all time). The world Kojima created is so unique and interesting. Being a deliveryman set in a world this messed up is interesting and I liked working my way through BTs and evil delivery men trying to steal my stuff. The MP stuff and how your world effects everyone else was the highlight, with me spending several sessions just contributing to the structures to help other people. Not for the stars or ratings or the rewards, but just because I knew it was going to help others make progress-which is exactly what this game was about. I can't recommend this to everyone, but i it looks like something you'd be interested in and don't care for the shit story or characters, check it out.
4. Apex Legends- All I know is when the word got out this game was a titanfall game without titans I was livid. But Respawn can do no wrong and made an incredible BR in a market over saturated with BR games. Respawn beacons were SUCH a good addition. The ping system is a revolution to multiplayer gaming and should be implemented in more games. The movement and shooting are all what you would expect from a respawn game. And its free.
5. Devil May Cry 5- I loved all 3 playable characters in this and as a lapsed DmC fan it was great to be brought back into the fold with some of the biggest character move sets in a gaming. Now if only the level design could match that effort, or if enemies didn't just stand around letting you wallop on them (but I supposed thats the design of the game)
6. Mario Maker 2- Mario maker but more AND an addition of zelda levels now? Online play isn't up to par, and I wish Nintendo was a bit more open about what the plans are for this game, but infinite mario is never a bad choice.
7. Luigi's Mansion 3- Great return to the series with tons of content, multiplayer, and some of Nintendo's best boss encounters.
8.The Outerworlds - First time Ive enjoyed a fallout game since 3. Hopefully next go around with this series will have a bit more consequence to decisions you make in the world.
9. Gears of War 5- Its a pretty standard gears addition to the franchise with some unique twists to modes. Gears fans will be happy.
10. Kingdom Hearts 3 - I debated adding this. Its an alright game. It sometimes has the KH charm that a lot of us who only played the main line games were looking for. But too often it felt like a relic of the past that didn't do enough to push the franchise forward, with a lackluster story that did nothing until the last couple hours of play, and worst of all is no FF characters. BUT if youve been waiting 13 years for this like I have, you owe it to yourself to play this.

This would be so cool!
You've got to put your vote in an ordered list or it won't count amigo

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - Man, this did not disappoint at all. MGS V is my favourite playing MGS game and that focus on movement in the open world that made it so good continued
  2. Disco Elysium
  3. Judgment
  4. Apex Legends - Making battle royale fun finally
  5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  6. Dragon Quest Builders 2
  7. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
  8. Ring Fit Adventure
  9. Resident Evil 2
  10. Devil May Cry 5

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - Kojima has created something unique, the best non-violent open world. This is weird to see at the end of a generation that gave us RDR, Skyrim, Far Cry 3, BOTW, The Witcher 3 and so on. But never have I had so much fun trying to build things that I barely used in a game BUT that can actually be useful to other players. I've always been a solo player, rarely playing games online or in co-op but this is one of the few times in which I rarely felt alone playing a game. Not a bad way to end a decade if I say so myself.
  2. Fire Emblem Three Houses - Improving and perfecting the formula of previous FE titles, Three Houses goes above and beyond with an insane amount of replay value thanks to its multiple story paths and vast variety of companions. Alongside 3D models added into the battle system, this has become one of my favorite Switch titles and my favorite FE game so far.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - I never had any reason to play the original 3 and the first remake was a bit too outdated for my post-RE4 experience. But RE2 (2019) changed the survival horror game and has raised the bar for remakes. It took everything great about previous modern RE games and combined it with the classic game design that is somewhat missing in this generation of games. I applaud Capcom for going back to this game and I can't wait for RE3.
  4. Sekiro Shadows Die Twice - This game is HARD. I rage quit on PS4 around the launch of the game, I thought I had a shot since I graduated from Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 but this game was another beast that needed to be tamed in a very different manner. I recently decided to give it another shot but this time on PC and with *gasp* an "easy mode" mod. After finishing it, I am left with 2 thoughts, this game was great in many ways with small flaws in both the story and gameplay and yes, I missed out on the adrenaline rush given to me by the FromSoft games. Do I regret using it? not really, I still had fun with the games mechanics and game design and there were still times where the bosses would still kick my ass so it wasn't a complete cake walk. All in all, I'm glad I gave this game another shot and I'm now more willing to play it again without any mods.
  5. Control - Its Remedy's greatest hits in one package. Max Payne/Quantum Break like gameplay alongside some psychological storytelling straight from Alan Wake.
  6. Kingdom Hearts III - This has a Toy Story world. And it has a scene in which Woody pretty much explains my feelings about the franchise since the first game. That's all I needed in my life.
  7. The Outer Worlds - I didn't get the New Vegas I wanted and that's okay. I still enjoyed my time in Outer Worlds. Although choices were a bit limited and the gunplay felt lacking, the new IP felt very refreshing thanks to its art direction, overall plot and interesting companions.
  8. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Goodness it has been a while since we have gotten an honest to god good star wars single player game. While this one still has a lot to learn and borrows a bit too much from other franchises, I think Respawn has a chance to put it out of the park with a sequel.
  9. Devil May Cry 5 - I'm not that good at playing DMC games, but I still found myself enjoying playing through the entire franchise this year right before V. Thankfully, V ended up being just as good as DMC3 (still the best one imho).
  10. Call Of Duty Modern Warfare - Multiplayer is still a so-so experience, but as addicting as ever. Unfortunately Spec Ops is just straight trash. I put it on my list because I think the COD franchise is back on track.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
  1. Death Stranding - Kojima has created something unique, the best non-violent open world. This is weird to see at the end of a generation that gave us RDR, Skyrim, Far Cry 3, BOTW, The Witcher 3 and so on. But never have I had so much fun trying to build things that I barely used in a game BUT that can actually be useful to other players. I've always been a solo player, rarely playing games online or in co-op but this is one of the few times in which I rarely felt alone playing a game. Not a bad way to end a decade if I say so myself.
  2. Fire Emblem Three Houses - Improving and perfecting the formula of previous FE titles, Three Houses goes above and beyond with an insane amount of replay value thanks to its multiple story paths and vast variety of companions. Alongside 3D models added into the battle system, this has become one of my favorite Switch titles and my favorite FE game so far.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - I never had any reason to play the original 3 and the first remake was a bit too outdated for my post-RE4 experience. But RE2 (2019) changed the survival horror game and has raised the bar for remakes. It took everything great about previous modern RE games and combined it with the classic game design that is somewhat missing in this generation of games. I applaud Capcom for going back to this game and I can't wait for RE3.
  4. Sekiro Shadows Die Twice - This game is HARD. I rage quit on PS4 around the launch of the game, I thought I had a shot since I graduated from Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 but this game was another beast that needed to be tamed in a very different manner. I recently decided to give it another shot but this time on PC and with *gasp* an "easy mode" mod. After finishing it, I am left with 2 thoughts, this game was great in many ways with small flaws in both the story and gameplay and yes, I missed out on the adrenaline rush given to me by the FromSoft games. Do I regret using it? not really, I still had fun with the games mechanics and game design and there were still times where the bosses would still kick my ass so it wasn't a complete cake walk. All in all, I'm glad I gave this game another shot and I'm now more willing to play it again without any mods.
  5. Control - Its Remedy's greatest hits in one package. Max Payne/Quantum Break like gameplay alongside some psychological storytelling straight from Alan Wake.
  6. Kingdom Hearts III - This has a Toy Story world. And it has a scene in which Woody pretty much explains my feelings about the franchise since the first game. That's all I needed in my life.
  7. The Outer Worlds - I didn't get the New Vegas I wanted and that's okay. I still enjoyed my time in Outer Worlds. Although choices were a bit limited and the gunplay felt lacking, the new IP felt very refreshing thanks to its art direction, overall plot and interesting companions.
  8. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Goodness it has been a while since we have gotten an honest to god good star wars single player game. While this one still has a lot to learn and borrows a bit too much from other franchises, I think Respawn has a chance to put it out of the park with a sequel.
  9. Devil May Cry V - I'm not that good at playing DMC games, but I still found myself enjoying playing through the entire franchise this year right before V. Thankfully, V ended up being just as good as DMC3 (still the best one imho).
  10. Call Of Duty Modern Warfare - Multiplayer is still a so-so experience, but as addicting as ever. Unfortunately Spec Ops is just straight trash. I put it on my list because I think the COD franchise is back on track.

1. Death Stranding - Man, this did not disappoint at all. MGS V is my favourite playing MGS game and that focus on movement in the open world that made it so good continued
  2. Disco Elysium
  3. Judgment
  4. Apex Legends - Making battle royale fun finally
  5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  6. Dragon Quest Builders 2
  7. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
  8. Ring Fit Adventure
  9. Resident Evil 2
  10. Devil May Cry V

Please change "Devil May Cry V" to "Devil May Cry 5" or your votes won't count.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
  1. Resident Evil 2 - Beating it 2 times back to back says a lot about this game. I never did that before. That's how much I enjoyed the game.
  2. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - For me this is the best Metroidvania game since Castlevania: Portriat of Ruin which was released 13 years ago.
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - As a top down Zelda, I enjoyed it a little bit less than A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS which is considered a compliment.
  4. Untitled Goose Game – A unique idea with satisfying check list. Also the game was short and sweet.
  5. Gears 5 – I enjoyed it as much as Gears 3 and 4 which is good enough for me.
  6. Apex Legends – This is the most battle Royale game I played in my life. I think this says a lot.
  7. Blazing Chrome - I was thirsty for an SNES Contra like game and Blazing Chrome delivered.
  8. My Friend Pedro – A 2D platformer/shooter with a twist. Count me in.
  9. Crackdown 3 - I was entertained enough to keep me coming back until I beat the game. This should count for something I guess.
  10. Super Mario Maker 2 - with more tools compared to the Super Mario Maker 1 means that creative people can make more creative levels which entertains me.

Below are some of the game I haven't started yet and I believe they will be in My top 10 if I had the chance to beat them:

-Pokemon Sword and Shield

-Control

-Star Wars Jedi

-Luigi's Mansion 3

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
  1. Link's Awakening - A delightful experience. Having not played the original - I actually I did played borrowed for a few days but I was very young and remembered nothing - didn't know what to expect and wasn't sure if I should buy it. The game played so good, the challenge was decent, the dungeons were ok but exploring the overworld and looking for secrets was really rewarding. And I loved the music.
  2. Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition - What year is it? My most addicting experience of the year. Wasn't sure if it was worth it considering I owned the HD version with all expansions but still went for it and I was glad I did so. Played 4 or 5 campaigns but will go back to it.
  3. Outer Worlds - This could have been one of my favorite games ever, it started really strong but quickly showed its weaknesses. Still cool game and I want to see more like that from Obsidian with higher production values hopefully.
  4. Ring Fit Adventure - What a cool surprise. This came out of nowhere and I'm still playing it. As a game it's a bit lacking but it's a good workout and the combo works much better than Wii Fit or EA Sports Active.
  5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Really hooked me up but the monastery stuff bored me after a while and I hated having to recruit the other student. Also too easy even on hard.
  6. Yoshi's Crafted World - Underrated gem, I enjoyed it more than Woolly World.
  7. Pokemon Shield - Not that bad after all but expected more stuff to do and wanted greater challenge. At least the expansions seem to be moving to the right direction.
  8. Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair - Nowhere close to Tropical Freeze imo but solid game and a good step from the original.
  9. Astral Chain - Not really into action games but the boss fights were fun.
  10. Super Mario Maker 2 - Making games is not as fun as it was on Wii U but the story levels kept me for a while. Still needs a bookmark site and a imo a tutorial / training place that guides players to make fun levels. I liked it a lot but I had bigger expectations for the post release support and it has been the disappointment of the year for me.
Provisional list

I see that Captain Toad Special Episode is included, shouldn't AC Odyssey Fate of Atlantis & Legacy of the First Blade be eligible too?
Also I didn't see Mario Bros U Deluxe in the spreadsheet.

Zonnes

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 26, 2019
  1. Borderlands 3: The best looter shooter I have ever played, and I played them all.
  2. Resident Evil 2: I rarely feel things, this game made me feel scared
  3. Control: While I never loved the shooting and the very squishy character I really enjoyed the mystery and story and villain
  4. Fire Emblem Three Houses: One of the most fun tactical SRPGs I have ever played
  5. Dauntless: Free to Play Monster Hunter Done right
  6. Sky Children of Light: The best game to play 5 minutes before you sleep
  7. Warhammer Chaosbane: A very clever take on the ARPG Genre
  8. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening The only Remake that feels like it is the original game and the Original is a downgraded port for the Gameboy
  9. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order: A Good single-player Star Wars game in 2019, no fucking way!!!
  10. The Outer Worlds: Not the greatest game, but the universe was very fun to explore

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
shhhb.png

1. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers - The Final Fantasy series has always meant a lot to me over the years but I've found it's more recent entries to be disappointing, some significantly so. But in these times this MMO and it's expansions have been the outlier, consistently delivering that FF "soul and feel" since it's incredible rebirth 6 years ago led by Naoki Yoshida. I didn't expect it's latest expansion to be my game of the year but it earned that title easily. Shadowbringers is an incredible achievement - A MMO expansion that's also a fully fledged JRPG in it's own right, if not one of the best of all time. It's refines and updates various systems for the better but what makes it special is it's brilliant story. It's writer, Natsuko Ishikawa, has outdone herself here and delivered what I think is not only one of Final Fantasy's best tales but also in the JRPG genre. It's narrative explores deep areas of moral ambiguity and consistently challenges old fantasy tropes. The characters and their arcs all incredibly written and explore incredible growth. Of note I think it's antagonist is one of the best Final Fantasy villains of all time, if not the best. I'd also be remiss to not mention the incredible score as well by Masayoshi Soken, cementing his place further as one of Final Fantasy's best composers. All that said this is an MMO so it is grindy (although less so than previous expansions) and it's barrier to entry is now very high (although I believe the dev team are looking into this). Nonetheless if you enjoy MMOs and you haven't yet jumped in you're in for an incredible ride.​
  2. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - It's funny that both of my two top entries are expansions but both really push the definition greatly. Iceborne is no mere expansion. It's packed with so much content that I don't quite know what to call it. Much more of what I loved from the brilliant Monster Hunter World game last year, it brought in new systems, tweaks and most importantly monsters. I've loved MonHun now for many years and MHW with this expansion is the best of them all easily. It's the best coop experience I've ever had and couldn't recommend it more.​
  3. Death Stranding - When Sony and Hideo Kojima announced they were making a new game so soon after his awful treatment by Konami I was thrilled. This director was free to make what he wanted after the shackles of Metal Gear and I knew he was going to go a little crazy to say the least, and that's exactly what he did. Death Stranding was my most anticipated game of the year and I ordered the special edition no less, something I very rarely do. So it's a surprise to see it not at the top but I'm still happy regardless. Kojima and his team delivered something genuinely groundbreaking here. They've explored and packed in so many new ideas and essentially created a game that defies the current genres. I was a little anxious when the reviews came out describing it as dull to play but now having played 72 hours for myself I can see what they mean. I found the gameplay interesting, fascinating and relaxing. I also couldn't put it down as the game cleverly kept introducing new mechanics throughout. The story and performances are excellent, if not a little overwrought in Kojima's classic way. All that said it's not a game I can recommend straight up, I've had to tell many friends about the game in detail instead of just a simple yes or no so they can make sure it's something they want to experience. An enigma then, I've never played anything like it and don't expect to again for some time. It's not top of my list though for a couple of reasons. While I found I didn't connect as much as I'd like to the characters my main problem is due to Kojima falling into the open world trapping of adding too much padded side content and bloating the game unnecessarily. If this had been a much leaner game it would've benefited massively.​

Honorable mentions (games I haven't had time to play or complete):

- Judgment
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Gears 5
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Outer Wilds - When I started to play this game, I didn't actually enjoy it that much. The controls were clunky and it was very overwhelming. I had no idea what to do. I almost quit the game. But after playing more of it, I started to discover things. Learn about the precursor race and their story. Learned how their buildings worked and how to operate them. Learned about mysteries ready to be solved. I visited planets that were incredibly creative or incredibly scary...or both at the same time. More and more the feeling of being overwhelmed disappeared. I started to have goals, made use of the brilliant mind map in your ship. Had incredibly moments purely created by gameplaysystem, not set pieces. It became a game I was still thinking of when not playing it, planning my next cycle in my mind. Thinking about its many mysteries and how to solve them. And more often than not, solving them lead to new information or some backstory that was mind blowing or touching. The story is amazing and both does some amazing misdirection while also wrapping up everything nicely. Honestly just thinking back to this game makes me a bit emotional again. It is a celebration of the pursuit of knowledge and the urge to explore. It is not without fault, but what it does is so unique and released so much emotion in me, that it is by far the most memorable game I played this year. A stellar experience.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - Resident evil 2 is maybe the best remake ever made. It updates the gameplay of the original in smart ways and makes the game an almost perfect blend of old and new. The balance between horror and action is the way i hope future games in the series also follow. Having an indestructible force of nature hunting you around is an exhilarating feeling. And it also runs and looks amazing. Unfortunately the game is rather short and it does drop in quality quite severe after you leave the police station. Hopefully future games are more even.
  3. Control - Control has an amazing, creative world. It is super interesting to read the documents about the different expeditions of the bureau and what they encountered there. Interesting characters like Dr. Darling are a joy to listen too and get their backstory. The oldest house may be the best character though, the way it morphs around is really cool with the ashtray maze being a high point. And honestly, the combat itself after you get some powers is really fun. It's a shame the checkpoints can be shit-tier, the combat becomes a frustrating difficulty spike at the end and the boss fights are super frustrating. If they fix these issues, I can't wait for the DLC.
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Man this artstyle is so good. IT'S SO GOOD. The game itself is also pretty good, it has been too long since i played a 2D zelda game. And guess what? I still love it. You do feel it being an old game at certain points, and the performance issues are a shame, but for me that didn't detract from the fun I had with this game. Now please port a link between worlds to the switch, Nintendo?
  5. Super Mario Maker 2 - I never had a WiiU (like most people) so this being very similar to the first didn't bother me. It's the perfect switch handheld mode game, it's fantastic that whenever I want I can pick it up and play a couple of new mario levels for a few minutes. The story mode has some great nintendo created content as well to make it more of a full package. My only big gripe is that the discovery options could be a lot better, making it occasionally harder to find the levels you want than that it should.
  6. The Outer Worlds - This game feels like a budget constricted, first attempt at making a fallout style game. But for a first attempt it is pretty dang good. The characters, world and side stories are interesting, and it feels good to actually have dialogue options! (looking at you fallout 4 >:( ) The shooting feels good, your party is interesting and especially the way the world and other characters react to which party members you have with you is quite impressive. The game does drag too long at the end though. If, with microsoft's money behind them, they manage to blow up the good first ⅔ of the game to a whole open world, this series could become something amazing. For now it is close, but not quite there yet.
  7. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - With special thanks to cheatengine! I like the combat of Sekiro, I like the world of Sekiro, I like the movement of Sekiro. Yet I didn't really enjoy base game Sekiro. It was honestly too frustrating and stressful for me. Where dying in the souls series always gave me a feeling of "ok, I made a mistake, let's do this again!", sekiro just made me frustrated when dying over and over again. I would have quit if it was not for cheat engine. Using that program, I tuned the difficulty of the game in such a way that it suddenly became a lot of fun! The sword fights became exhilarating instead of frustrating. The annoying grind for spirit emblems was gone. The game became a blast, even though some people on Era seemed to be very vocal and passionate about the fact that I wasn't allowed to have fun this way because...ehm….they are sad, miserable people I guess? All this makes me of two minds about Sekiro. On the one hand I did have a lot of fun with it in the end, but that was with an adapted version. The main game itself I didn't like. And I can't say the toxic responses I got here from some idiots didn't sour me on the game a bit. But in the end, the experience I had with this game and cheat engine was fun enough that I want to have it on my list. And part of the fanbase being toxic isn't the games fault.
  8. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - I love the Igy vania castlevania games. They are a ton of fun and I still occasionally replay them. Bloodstained is a great, slightly more modern version of that so I also really enjoyed this game. It doesn't do a whole not new or special, but what it does it does damn good.
2019 was quite a weak year for me game wise, for the first time in making these lists for era and previously gaf, there were not enough great games I played to reach 10. In most other years games like resident evil 2 would be at like spot 7 or 8 at most. 2020 looks to be a lot better for me! However Outer wilds was such a special game for me, that makes up for a lot of the rest of the year being on the weak side. It truly was an unique, emotional experience for me.

Games I played but didn't think were quite good enough for the list: Metro Exodus, Supraland, Gears 5, Star wars jedi: fallen order.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
I just bought the Switch port of The Witcher 3. Considering all the good things I've heard about it, it may impact my list haha

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Anno 1800 - I've always been a big fan of this franchise, started with 1701 in a period when I was very addicted to strategy and city building, and 1404 + Venice is today one of my most played games of all time. The games set in the future, 2070 and 2205, didn't quite capture the same feeling for me, despite some quality of life improvements. Going back in time to the 19th century in Anno 1800 got me very excited for this series again, and it turned out to be a true return to form. Immersive, content-heavy, visually stunning, mechanically competent, this game finds a good balance between familiarity and innovation. Love the interlocked systems, the population tiers and managing the production chains. After 200+ hours I'm still uncertain if 1800 dethroned (or will dethrone) Anno 1404 as my favorite in the series, but it surely is up there, it's basically a tie. It hit all the right notes for me: depth, accessibility, pace, challenge and presentation.
  2. Transport Fever 2 - I'm one of those people who love trains and railway modelling but didn't actually take up the hobby because it's expensive and I would surely end up unsatisfied with what I can afford. For people like me the Transport Fever series is a godsend. Sure, it is a fully fledged transport tycoon with ships, trucks, buses, airplanes and everything, but to me the spiritual successor of Train Fever is exactly that, a model railroad simulator and that's how I play it. I like to restart quite often to try new maps, new strategies and infrastructure layouts (and avoid the end-game slow framerates too in the process). Transport Fever 2 feels to me like a remake of TF1 more than a completely new game, but the foundation was already solid and there are significant improvements in key places. It is newly released and pretty rough around the edges atm, but the map editor and the terrain tools are a big step forward.
This is it, I don't play many new games every year any more. I have a lot of old favorites that I play every year so I don't have much time to experiment with new games, unless they are sequels in my established favorite series or they simply seem to be like made for me. 2-3 new games every year is my normal, 5-6 means a great, busy year.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
  1. Control - Best maps, fun gameplay, best story delivery outside of cutscenes.
  2. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - I really enjoyed 100%ing this game. Rough graphically, but the gameplay and challenge were solid.
  3. Slay the Spire - I LOVE roguelikes, and I have fallen for this game after a few rocky starts. TONS of strategy here.
  4. The Outer Wilds - I had 0 clue wtf was going on for a long time. This is a game that REALLY rewards curiosity, exploration... and patience.
  5. World of Warcraft - What can I say, have been playing it on and off since early beta, and playing for a few months midway through an expansion proved a good enough time.
  6. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - Another ongoing game with a good set of content this year
  7. The Outer Worlds - Really liked the game, but needed some oomph during the end game
  8. Devil May Cry 5 - Solid gameplay, corny story, meh level design. Still great
  9. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - I like everything about this game outside of a lot of the combat and forced cut-scene watching.
  10. Crackdown 3 - The game was fun. I liked the design aesthetic from a gameplay perspective. I 100% the game and... fu, yolo. #10GOTY.

The also rans or I played and didnt rans
Gears 5 - good
Kingdom Hearts III - ok
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019) - gooreatish
Death Stranding - meh * 10
Mortal Kombat 11 - decent
Untitled Goose Game - honk
Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth † (xbox, finally) - to the moon
Sea of Thieves - Arrrr (game is so good now)
Minecraft - All time top 10 material always

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Apex Legends - Competitive shooters and I go back to the late 90's, back then I was a teenager with very good reflexes I would go to LAN parties and do quite well. But time is a motherfucker and after bouncing off PUBG, Doom (2016), Fortnite, Metro Exodus, Battlefield, and others I thought maybe I was done with this style of game. Well like some fat old free agent QB picked up for one last game, Apex was there to reassure me I still got that arm. I can't say anything on this list is perfect, but so many frustrating systems have lingered in competitive shooters for so long that Apex is the only game this year that I want to cheer on in the hope that others will follow its direction. I wish they stuck with the understated art style of the original map and skins, but I understand its hard to sell a battle pass with that style.
  2. The Outer Worlds - If there was a 'Best Catharsis' The Outer Worlds would be it. Fallout is in a bad place after 4 and 76. Outer Worlds showed definitively that Fallout can be done well, that it doesn't have to be a broken mess, that it can tell an engaging branching narrative, that you can do something new with it. Overall, I like the plot and characters and their individual stories but I wish there was more of it. For example, early on in the game Parvati walks through Edgewater with you and comments on things and you can ask her questions about what she says. This simple interaction makes you feel like you're getting to know a person and draws you into the world they live in. Unfortunately its missing from the rest of the game and perhaps as a result much of the later levels feel dull and lifeless in comparison including the end game which conceptually is very cool but the choice feels lacking in weight and consequence compared with the first big choice you make in the game.
  3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - I'm only a few worlds into this game but so far I like it a lot. I like how each world looks and plays quite different from the next and it seems like a very good looking game. Despite playing it late in the year it still has a number of bugs like characters plopping into place after loading (why not just keep the screen black for a few seconds longer?) some weird shading issues with Cal's hair under certain lights and the frame rate takes a nosedive when its loading but so far I've not seen anything game breaking. It's not quite 'Lightsaber Sekiro' but I enjoy the combat and traversal. The best thing I think this game does is BD-1, the helpful little droid makes exploring the world fun and easy and even tiny details like Cal saying "C'mon BD" when he's on something helps the player recognize there's something to interact with there that they may not have noticed. This is quite possibly the best Star Wars game I've played in many years.
  4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Beyond a doubt these are the most memorable characters of the year. The love and attention that went into each character's backstory and voice acting and how they grow after the time skip is all just incredible. I wish the Monastery stuff had more to do and was worth the time you spend there, and I wish there were more battles toward the end of the game- it feels a bit rushed and a bit too easy for the end (I played it on Hard/No Permadeath)
  5. Basketball Club Story - A return to form for Kairosoft. I played this over Christmas break and it was exactly what I needed, a charming little pixel graphics basketball management sim to get lost in without worrying about IAP. It even has a New Game+ though since your players keep their stats it makes the game much, much easier.
  6. Tetris 99 - Tetris Battle Royale is such an inspired idea, I'm just amazed this game even exists. This was a game I would play a round of between doing other things and it filled that niche very well, you can quickly get into and out of a game in minutes (especially when you're as bad as me and can barely make the top 20)
  7. Mario Maker 2 - It took me hours upon hours to create three levels. I bought a stylus and an SNES gamepad intending to go deep on this game but I never got used to the controls and the level creation UI just isn't great. I liked playing my friends levels and community did some amazing stuff with the tools but it didn't quite meet my high expectations.
  8. Gears 5 - At it's best Gears 5 was just what I wanted, 'destroyed beauty' with some interesting gameplay mechanics and an impeccable shooter. The open world was fun to move around in but there's not much to do, felt like it didn't really need to be there. The boss battles are where it fell apart for me, why go from the amazing AI and combat encounters to these boring pattern slog boss battles, just cut that crap out and give me more of the good fights!
  9. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - I was so hyped for a spiritual successor to my favorite arcadey space sim, Freelancer, that I didn't even mind its only on Epic Games Store. I did mind that the story wasn't very engaging but I enjoyed my time with the game. I love how it looks and the space trucker music was great. I liked that I could buy this hacked together space truck and load it up with cargo to sell to the highest bidder but I wish there was more to it or that the space trucking felt more rewarding in some way.
  10. Void Bastards - A novel roguelike with a cool concept and art style. Didn't enjoy the combat or the progression but I want to see more interesting roguelikes like this

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Hypnospace Outlaw - Ambitious, fascinating, emotional, relevant, important. Gorgeously rendered polemic while, weirdly enough, simultaneously being very pleasurable and accessible.

Crikey I really do need to make time for this.

So many indie gems. So little time.

Why does the eligible games spreadsheet only list like 140 games in a random order?

I was wondering why my #9 - Objects In Space didn't get recorded on the spreadsheet. :p

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
  1. Tom Clancy's The Division 2 - My favourite co-op game of 2019; just brilliant all round and imroved on the original in many ways
  2. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Star Wars meets Dark Souls (lite). Interesting story / characters and great map design
  3. World of Warcraft Classic - A fun, nostalgic journey back in time to 2004 to where it all began for WoW
  4. Vacation Simulator - Fun VR experience from the devs of Job Simulator
  5. The Legend of Bum-bo - Fun little game from the makers of Binding of Isaac

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - IMO opinion, this is the best FromSoftware game that I have played.
  2. Outer Wilds - An Incredible experience from an Indie developer
  3. Outer Worlds - What FO 4 should have been
  4. Resident Evil 2 - Fantastic Remake of a classic.
  5. Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening - I never played the original and this was a welcomed remake

flonty

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question. I can not find Collection of Mana in the spreadsheet. Can I still list it in my goty list? Will it receive points?

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
  1. Judgment - My first foray into the Yakuza franchise, and probably the most entertaining game I've played in a long while. The story was a ride and the gameplay was satisfying and punchy.
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - This game has Claude. Need I say more? Yes? Oh, well the game is not only a great Fire Emblem game, but a refreshing take on the series with the seemingly Persona-inspired slice-of-life element.
  3. Kingdom Hearts 3 - My favorite game franchise of all time. KH3, while a tad underwhelming, was still a great ride and resolved so many plot threads that were being built upon for the last decade. Of course, it asked way more questions than it answered, I feel confident that SE is going to knock it out of the park in the future by iterating on KH3's formula. And, of course, an incredible soundtrack. Shimomura got robbed at TGA.
  4. Beat Saber - The one thing that keeps me coming back to VR. Trying to get good never hurt so much, but I will continue to play until I hate it. I'm a sucker for rhythm games, and this is a super fresh take.
  5. Super Mario Maker 2 - I'm not as creative as I'd like to think I am. This game definitely proves that. Yet, no matter how uncreative I am, the tools this game gives the players and creator are so much fun that even terrible levels can have a layer of fun.
  6. The Outer Worlds - I don't have as much to say about this, as I haven't completed it yet. What I can say, though, is that this game evokes the feelings I don't get from Bethesda games nowadays. Great balance of fun and humor.
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Even though I'm a huge Zelda fan, this game was one I never got around to playing. To be honest, I'm glad I waited. It was a lot of fun and a cute little adventure. Plus, it was fun to play a Zelda title that was more traditional Zelda formula after BotW.
  8. Apex Legends - A game that I forgot was released this year. This game came out of nowhere and gave me probably 100 hours of fun. Very few games can hold my attention for that long, and that says a lot. I don't really play it anymore, but it was fun while it lasted.
  9. Tetris 99 - This game angers me and I love it so much. That's about all I have to say about it.
  10. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - Weirdly enough, I haven't finished this, if there even is a complete "finish". My backlog is too large. Yet, weirdly enough, I even had more fun with the demo for this game than I had with a lot of full games I played this year. Freshens up the Minecraft formula with a dash of JRPG. It's a game I plan to explore more fully once I have more free time and less of a backlog.
edit: Judgment fixed!

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
  1. Judgement - My first foray into the Yakuza franchise, and probably the most entertaining game I've played in a long while. The story was a ride and the gameplay was satisfying and punchy.
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - This game has Claude. Need I say more? Yes? Oh, well the game is not only a great Fire Emblem game, but a refreshing take on the series with the seemingly Persona-inspired slice-of-life element.
  3. Kingdom Hearts 3 - My favorite game franchise of all time. KH3, while a tad underwhelming, was still a great ride and resolved so many plot threads that were being built upon for the last decade. Of course, it asked way more questions than it answered, I feel confident that SE is going to knock it out of the park in the future by iterating on KH3's formula. And, of course, an incredible soundtrack. Shimomura got robbed at TGA.
  4. Beat Saber - The one thing that keeps me coming back to VR. Trying to get good never hurt so much, but I will continue to play until I hate it. I'm a sucker for rhythm games, and this is a super fresh take.
  5. Super Mario Maker 2 - I'm not as creative as I'd like to think I am. This game definitely proves that. Yet, no matter how uncreative I am, the tools this game gives the players and creator are so much fun that even terrible levels can have a layer of fun.
  6. The Outer Worlds - I don't have as much to say about this, as I haven't completed it yet. What I can say, though, is that this game evokes the feelings I don't get from Bethesda games nowadays. Great balance of fun and humor.
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Even though I'm a huge Zelda fan, this game was one I never got around to playing. To be honest, I'm glad I waited. It was a lot of fun and a cute little adventure. Plus, it was fun to play a Zelda title that was more traditional Zelda formula after BotW.
  8. Apex Legends - A game that I forgot was released this year. This game came out of nowhere and gave me probably 100 hours of fun. Very few games can hold my attention for that long, and that says a lot. I don't really play it anymore, but it was fun while it lasted.
  9. Tetris 99 - This game angers me and I love it so much. That's about all I have to say about it.
  10. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - Weirdly enough, I haven't finished this, if there even is a complete "finish". My backlog is too large. Yet, weirdly enough, I even had more fun with the demo for this game than I had with a lot of full games I played this year. Freshens up the Minecraft formula with a dash of JRPG. It's a game I plan to explore more fully once I have more free time and less of a backlog.

Beat Saber released last year for the PSVR and I think all other versions were already available?

Status
Not open for further replies.