- Death Stranding - I always knew I would like this game since I've never been let down by Kojima's gameplay (fuck MGSV btw), but I didn't know what to expect. The marketing campaign being a slow-drip of information only helped lead to the build-up of anticipation until the release date and the payoff, IMO was golden. Game of the Generation for me, as I only play a few titles per year. Nothing else has come close in terms of the 'full package' as this and I still find myself putting it on 2 months later to make some deliveries and returning to single player games isn't something I've done in years. Since MGS3 to be honest. The graphics, the story, the gameplay, the music, the premise, the strands. So well done and I'd actually love to see a sequel just to see how crazy things can go. The only nitpick I have is how repetitive some of the dialogue got toward the end with characters explaining something and then re-explaining as though we didn't understand the first time. All in all, I understand the story kind of ended and is 'complete' but the world Kojima Productions created is breathtaking enough to want to return and get lost in it again in a sequel.
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare - Most fun I've had playing COD since probably Black Ops 2. Hated AW, hated Infinite Warfare, hated MW3, and skipped out finally on WWII which I actually heard wasn't bad. But either way, the feel of the gunplay in MW2019 is unmatched imo. Hardcore MP FTW.
- Days Gone - Preface: I hate the zombie 'genre' in general. TWD was trash to me although I watched up to season 5 because people incessantly recommended it. That said, I'm a sucker for a nice overall package, and with Days Gone, Bend Studio delivered. Again, the graphics, sound, and then the bike made this a special game this year for me. I got over my intense hatred of zombies (still not interested in any zombie media after this, though) to find what was an excellent springboard for what I hope becomes Bend's next big franchise. Running from and setting up hordes will never not be just pure fun.
- Apex Legends - This kinda came out of nowhere, and coming from the excellent TF2, I had high hopes. It ended up not being as fun as TF2, but was amazing nonetheless and was much-needed in a world where I was addicted to Fortnite. Admittedly, I dropped it after a while and still play Fortnite occasionally, but that takes away nothing from what this team put together, and F2P? Bravo.
- Untitled Goose Game - Hilarity in the form of a video game. It's beauty is in it's simplicity.
- Tom Clancy's The Division 2 - Though not as good as the first one and kind of disappointing, I can't say I didn't enjoy my time with this immensely. Mostly due to the fact I play co-op with a friend (as we did with the first Division) so this became a daily 'retreat' from work until we beat it. Countless hours poured into missions and I love the depth, integration and length of the missions.
**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**
Last edited by a moderator: