- Oct 28, 2017
- Super Mario Maker 2 - The most number of hours I spent on a video-game this year. Still super intuitive and fun interface to use. Creating levels and test them with those spot-on Mario controls is always a pleasure. - 5/5.
- Return Of The Obra Dinn - The best detective video-game ever IMO. Actual reasoning and observation required. Everytime you get 3 identities right, the satisfaction is immense and you feel very clever. Very unique presentation and memorable soundtrack. An instant classic. - 5/5.
- Baba Is You - Best new gameplay concept of the year. Incredibly clever and requires outside the box thinking. The total number of puzzles is also very impressive. Spending more than 50 hours on a puzzle game is a rare occurence. - 5/5.
- Untitled Goose Game - Very charming, funny and clever little game. The goose is perfectly animated and the dynamic music is a very nice touch. Love the fact that it's a non-punishing "stealth" game. Actually one of the best video-game story twist of the year too. - 5/5.
- Downwell - Very smart and elegant game design where procedurally generated levels make sense for a change. Feels like a forgotten arcade classic. - 5/5.
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Excellent and ambitious evolution to the franchise. Choosing your house and path was quite the dilemma. You really get attached to your students. Bernadetta was a killer. The school management aspect gets repetitive and too time-consuming after a while though. A bit disappointed with the story conclusion as well. The next installment should be even better. - 4/5.
- Resident Evil 2 - Gorgeous remake. The second half is weaker. - 4/5.
- Sayonara Wild Hearts - My favorite soundtrack and art design-audio experience of the year, but a bit short and not all the tracks are fun to replay which is a shame given the length. - 4/5.
- Luigi's Mansion 3 - Amazing looking game and one of the best animations of the year. It really looks like an iteractive animated CG movie. Climbing those 15 floors gets a little repetitive towards the end. The economy system is completely useless with too much money to collect everywhere with no purpose at all. - 4/5.
- Astral Chain - Nice twist on the character action genre and original combat system but not a fan of the story, characters and universe. The Astral plane parts are really dull and uninspired visually. Good effort on Platinum's part for trying to add side activities and variety outside of combat. - 4/5.
Played this year but not ranked:
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Devil May Cry V
Cadence Of Hyrule
The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Hyper Light Drifter: Special Edition
Mark Of The Ninja Remastered
Octahedron: Transfixed Edition
Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom
**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**
Last edited by a moderator: