• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
jvsVkW2.png

VhMAUpw.png

QA2iQIh.png

8Wl8luq.png

7WVqbOr.png

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Easily the most fun I had with a game in 2019. I'm a huge fan of SRPGs, but I had never played a Fire Emblem game before this one. It stole my heart in so many ways, the characters were all extremely memorable and hella fun to get to know. I loved all of the support cutscenes and how things progressed. Also, Edelgard was right and did nothing wrong. Black Eagles forever!
  2. The Outer Worlds - A great RPG from Obsidian, building on some of the aesthetics and mechanics from the Fallout series but still its own thing entirely. The humor was on point throughout, there are various ways to complete quests and alter the narrative, and some absolutely amazing party members like Parvati with fun back stories and side quests. Very much looking forward to a sequel some time down the road!
  3. Life is Strange 2 - It took over a year for all of the episodes to be released, but it was worth it in the end. The story of Sean and Daniel goes a lot of places that very few other games dare to go, and the ending each person ultimately receives is a result of their choices and actions throughout all 5 episodes. I was very satisfied with the ending I got and think they totally managed to stick the landing on this one, huge recommendation to anyone that likes narrative adventure games.
  4. A Plague Tale: Innocence - This game really surprised me with how much I enjoyed it. It really reminded me of The Last Of Us, the characters and the story were great, and I really loved the stealth mechanics and solving puzzles. Just a great game all around.
  5. Tetris 99 - Finally, someone made a battle royale game that I could actually enjoy!

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

Last edited by a moderator:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
  1. The Outer Wilds - Overlooked and under appreciated
  2. A Plague Tale -A really unique setting

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
5a502341-2703-4988-909a-941780b04299.jpeg

1. Monster Hunter World Iceborne - The base game alone was the best online coop game I played this gen and Iceborne is just more of that but improved with new stuff on top of additions and hundred hours
  2. Borderlands 3 - My fave shooter looter series is back still the best imo
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - That good FromSoftware quality
  4. Astral Chain - That good Platinum Games quality
  5. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - Minecraft but playable and great story and progression got meaning
  6. Resident Evil 2 - Good RE
  7. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order - Pretty good

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Me at the lack of A Plague Tale: Innocence in any of your goddamn lists:

8tWZNlC.gif
I'm planning to get it for myself as an Xmas present soon since it's on sale on Steam, I have heard good things! I might have to amend my list depending on how I feel after I play it, but I wanted to keep it to a top 5 this year since I didn't play too many 2019 games, and it will be up against some stiff competition!

Please format correctly!!!
OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Information
Folks, some entries are already being incorrectly formatted. YOUR VOTES WILL NOT BE COUNTED IF THEY ARE NOT FORMATTED CORRECTLY. We have fixed a few manually ourselves on the front page to set the right example, but will not do this going forward.

When VoteBot goes online momentarily, you will be able to tell if your entry has been counted or not when it receives VoteBot confirmation (you will receive an alert and your entry will be edited with a receipt). If you do not get VoteBot confirmation you can assume your vote will not be counted.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Disco Elysium - A sublime experience; masterfully written and powerfully executed.
  2. Tetris 99
  3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  4. Untitled Goose Game
  5. GreedFall
  6. The Outer Worlds
  7. Cardpocalypse
  8. Kingdom Hearts 3
  9. Telling Lies
  10. Mortal Kombat 11

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Disco Elysium - I gave my walking midlife crisis exactly 1HP. Turning on a light while hungover resulted in a heart attack. It's my game of the year.
  2. SaGa Scarlet Grace - One Of The Holy Weapons Is A Rose Pink Chainsaw
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Being bad at video games is good.
  4. Resident Evil 2 - Played it with gyro aiming. Mr. X's stomping made me beef every shot.
  5. Baba Is You - LUNARWHALE IS DUMB

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I feel it was a great idea for Nintendo to give the series to Koei this time. The series has rightfully evolved in the right direction and the additions to the game, like the explorable school setting made the experience richer.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I have never managed to complete any of the Dark Souls games due to their super dark setting, now I have this daylight souls game and now I understand how special this gameplay is.
  3. Kingdom Hearts III - All I wanted is to experience KH's unrivaled action RPG combat in modern visuals, this game gave me what I want perfectly.
  4. Slay the Spire - I've been waiting for someone to make this game for years. KH Chain of Memories, but better and original game. 50 hours and still playing.
  5. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - I feel it was a great idea for Square to give the series to Koei this time. What a delightful little game. Lots to do, lots to collect and create. I think this was my first time seeing living breathing NPCs.
  6. Devil May Cry 5 - Finally a character slasher in this gen. And it's Dante all in his glory. It was blast to finish the game.
  7. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled - One of the best remakes I've played in my life. And it's still getting content! It was really refreshing to play as someone else other than Toad once in a while.
  8. Astral Chain - One of the most innovative slasher I've ever played and pure Platinum goodness. I'm eagerly waiting the sequel where you roam the city freely.
  9. Outer Wilds - It was one of those open world puzzle games with excellent atmosphere. I've been longing to see someone else to try this sphere walking after Galaxy and Ratchet.
  10. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order - Uncharted in space but not as good as any Uncharted game. But I missed using lightsaber to slice some bad guys in games.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
  1. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order - Star Wars mixed With uncharted what's not to love
  2. Control - that hallway mission...
  3. Death Stranding - music was great
  4. Gears 5 - best gears yet
  5. Untitled Goose Game - HONK
  6. Anthem - end game sucks but was fun getting there

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Information
Folks, some entries are already being incorrectly formatted. YOUR VOTES WILL NOT BE COUNTED IF THEY ARE NOT FORMATTED CORRECTLY. We have fixed a few manually ourselves on the front page to set the right example, but will not do this going forward.

When VoteBot goes online in a few minutes, you will be able to tell if your entry has been counted or not when it receives VoteBot confirmation. If you do not get confirmation you can assume your vote will not be counted.
Just a heads up, the notification I got from the VoteBot was empty, it looks like this:

AG5sr20.png

Guessing that's not how it's supposed to look?

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay GOTY time! Haven't finished my list, but I'm already sad that I'm unable to include Satisfactory. Dang Early Access restriction! *shakes fist*

Got a few games left to try in the next few weeks, with Plague Tale, Resident Evil 2 and Luigi's Mansion at least being on the docket. Also gotta finish Fallen Order. Only have 4 locks in my top ten right now, so plenty of room for something to swoop in there.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Intimidated that my inevitable blocks of explanation won't compare to the perfect succinct sentences in the example

Everyone make sure to go support our lord and savior, Empress Edelgard, and vote for Three Houses as your number one!

19dd2e47f4ea5788da810a7ad5f881900c6f8986.jpg

OR ELSE
Well, it's between this and Resi 2, guess I no longer have a choice if I truly consider myself a BEagle

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
  1. Gears 5. Despite being "safe", it's definitely the most fun I've had with a game this year. Also love when a game excels at both singleplayer and multiplayer.
  2. Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled. What I once thought would be just a CTR remake with online ended up surpassing my expectations by far. For me, it's the best kart racer ever made.
  3. Death Stranding. It's probably the most unique game I've played in this generation, but having such a focus on the narrative when the writing's not good hurt it for me.
  4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Not my favorite From Software game, but it's still a nice change of pace from the regular souls formula. Some of the best bossfights in gaming, too.
  5. Yooka Laylee and The Impossible Lair. I didn't expect anything out of a Yooka Laylee game, and I certainly didn't expect such a tightly-designed platformer that rivals the kings of the genre.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
  1. Death Stranding - "Once, there was an explosion, a bang which gave rise to life as we know it. And then, came the next explosion. An explosion that will be our last".
    Those words from the opening hours of Hideo Kojima's epic "Death Stranding" sat in the back of my head for the entirety of the near 70 hours I spent with the game. Kojima always has an underlying message with his projects and for some reason, this line, among the dozens of other quotables was the one that stuck with me.

Even with getting the gist of what Kojima was saying midway through the game, it wasn't until the game reached its twilight moments that I fully comprehended its gravity.

"Death Stranding" is a game that has been divisive for many reasons. Some won't find anything appealing about the "Fed Ex simulator" as it has been mockingly reduced to and some find Kojima's ego grating. Those are all fair assessments but I think that some people may be missing the point.

With this game, Kojima wanted nothing to be superfluous. In many open-world games, which have littered the release windows of this current generation, all the emphasis is put on the destinations. Rarely is time given to contextualize the existence of the game's world. This couldn't be further from the truth for "Death Stranding".

What happens at Point A and Point B are important, for sure. The people you make deliveries to are grateful for the items you bring them and eventually join the network you're creating during your trek from East to West coasts of America. But the real meat and potatoes of the game is the experience of what happens during the journey.

Whereas navigating the world in other games is often an afterthought— a way to pace the experience out— it is the game in "Death Stranding". Some have compared it to Walking Simulators like "Gone Home". But even in those games, the walking only serves as a vector between items and points of interest.

Everything is methodical. You have to plan ahead and decide which tools are most important to you since they take up weight just like the cargo you will be carrying. You can be thrown off balance by rocks, slopes, or water. You can run out of stamina while trying to balance your load and end up dropping and damaging it. Mercenaries can try and steal it or even kill you. Every moment of this game demands your attention and engagement.

I expected "Death Stranding" to be a statement of games not needing to be fun to be good, like "Spec Ops: The Line". But that isn't the case. "Death Stranding" is a blast. All of the meticulous mechanics of the game and the contextualization result in an addicting and rewarding gameplay loop that shaved hours off of my days before I realized it.

Which is where The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus, one of my favorite existential thinkers, comes to mind. The central argument of that essay is that in the face of overwhelming adversity in life and the apparent insignificance one person's existence may have, shouldn't individuals just kill themselves? Get it over with? If there's no purpose, if the universe is apathetic to our struggles, then why bother? What's the point?

Camus compares this futility with that of the Greek tale of Sisyphus, a being who is cursed by the gods to carry a boulder up a hill by day only to have it fall down at night. Then do it again every day for eternity. Given the burden he incessantly he carries on his shoulders and the futility of his actions, one could assume him miserable.

But in rejecting nihilistic thoughts and finding purpose in the actions one can control in their life, defining their own existence, constantly moving forward even when something might seem fruitless, one can imagine Sisyphus happy.

Comparatively, even when Sam feels what he is doing serves no purpose, he carries on. He also does so in the face of nihilistic antagonists such as Higgs, whose motivation is to expedite humanity's extinction in the face of its inevitable end.

This brings me back to that quote. And near the end of the game I realized this was a commentary on the global climate crisis. That this seemingly inescapable calamity facing our planet means we should probably just not care.

But "Death Stranding" says otherwise. There is purpose in the struggle. Purpose in the moment to moment decisions we take. Purpose in the relationships we build with those around us.

One of the core gameplay mechanics is the asynchronous multiplayer. If I reach an obstacle I can use one of my tools to build a bridge to cross a ravine or drop a rope to descend a cliff. But that will appear in other player's games to offer them much needed relief if they don't share the luxury of having the tools to build what they need.

This ties into the games social system of "likes". Players can smash the like button resulting in positive feedback and doubling the same appreciation that NPCs in the game have for Sam Bridges, the player character and the player by extension.

The performances from Norman Reedus and Mads Mikkelson are outstanding. Well acted and voiced, the characters of this game all feel human. Kojima's camera work rivals that of some film directors and the overall attention to detail is staggering.

The relationship with BB, your infantile companion who can sense the BTs, the game's main antagonistic force, was genuine and resulted in my caring for BB as I would a real person.

It could take thousands of more words to unpack and detail everything in this game. I guess what I really got from this game is that things might seem bleak, but none of us are in this alone. We have to take things day by day and work together towards making a better tomorrow. Nothing is truly futile. All we have is us.

2. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers -
    I struggled to not put this game as my game of the year. I had to think long and hard for weeks about whether or not this would be the favorite because it is pure and simple the best experience I've had with a multiplayer game. Not only that, but the "Shadowbringers" expansion takes everything the MMO had built up to that point, turns it up to 11, and ends with a bang so immense I'm still getting goosebumps thinking about it right now.

Mechanically, the rebooted combat system has trimmed almost all of the fat, resulting in a gameplay experience so smooth that I can't even imagine how it could be improved. All the classes I played felt the best that they have ever felt. The dungeons were the best they've ever been, with some of the most genius gimmicks I've seen in multiplayer boss design. The worlds are lush, varied, and truly beautiful sights to behold.

The writing is some of the best the "Final Fantasy" series has ever had. Characters new and old are not immune to death's cold clutches and villains become endearing and their motivations grounded, believable, and heartbreaking. The scale of it all is monumental. So much so that it is difficult to even put it into words. It's just something you have to play to understand.

After thousands of hours and one of the most elongated narratives of any one game, the way the writers and creative director Yoshi P have brought it all together is nothing short of remarkable. I vividly remember screaming at the top of my lungs during the final moments of the main narrative, as it hit its absolutely radiant climax just as much as I remember the moments after. Where I was in the post-game, continuing to build my character, min-maxing, and preparing for the next challenge in the difficult end-game raids.

"Shadowbringers" was an event. Sharing in that event as it unfolded around myself and millions of other players is something only a well executed MMO can do. But it's an event that continues, always evolving. Always adding something new to the mix. I don't know if "Finfal Fantasy XIV" can get better than this. But I'm excited to see just how far it can go
  3. Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes - The "No More Heroes" franchise has been on hold for almost a decade with the previous entry, "No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle" coming out in Jan. of 2010. The creator of the series, auteur Goichi Suda, or Suda 51 as he is known, stepped back from a director role on that title to pursue other interests such as working with Electronic Arts to create "Shadows of the Damned" in 2011.

His time working with EA would prove to sour his love for game development as they pushed back against his creative urges, not understanding why anyone would want to play the types of games that he creates.

Suda has never had a huge commercial success but has under his belt plenty of cult hits like "Killer 7", "The Silver Case", "Michigan: Report From Hell", and of course "No More Heroes".

With the original "No More Heroes", Suda sought to create a game that took the male power fantasy that permeates the medium and flip it on its head with an absurd tale where you play as the intentionally unlikable Travis Touchdown, a rather on the nose parody of American white men.

After a long hiatus as a director or lead developer (his previous game was 2012's "Lollipop Chainsaw") he began working on "Travis Strikes Again" which may be his most personal game and is a touching meta-commentary on his journey through game development and how he rekindled his love of the medium.

You take Touchdown through a game console to traverse its various videogames worlds to find out how a game developer lost touch with reality, sequestered herself, and decided to destroy everything that she created. But we see many direct references to Suda's works such as an entire level of "Shadows of the Damned" that pokes fun at the releases version of the game and has "cut content" meant to represent Suda's original vision for the title. Clearly that developer and her strife act as a surrogate for Suda.

Gameplay is simple as it's an isometric action game reminiscent of arcade titles like "Gauntlet". Each level has its own gimmick such as a "Resident Evil" themed horror world where you navigate around a hub-area, a Tron themed racing level, and a level with 2D platforming.

The gameplay is definitely only there to tie the narrative and commentary together as it isn't remarkable on its own. In order to unlock the next level, you must engage with the visual novel sections of the game with are themed like 80s PC titles, with green monochrome and all. These help flesh out the backstory of the actual game and display some of Suda's best writing to date.

"Travis Strikes Again" is a love letter to the medium. A voyage through one man's experiences working in the industry and the trials and tribulations he suffered in pursuit of creative expression. One that can only work the way it does as a piece of interactive media
  4. Devil May Cry 5 -
    Another one, Capcom?

The latest entry in the storied franchise that seemed like it took an eternity doesn't disappoint. Packing what may be the best combat system of any character action game I've every experienced, "Devil May Cry 5" had my palms sweaty for dozens of hours and multiple playthroughs.

We're eased into the game with Nero, who has a unique system involving heavy sword lashes and even heavier revolver bullets but also his Devil Breaker, which are modified prosthetics to his right arm that can see him shooting lightning, whipping chains, or even deploying his arm as a fucking rocket and surfing on it. The game pulls back the layers to his combat system as it progresses but not before introducing you to its other two playable characters.

V, the second character you play as, is weak himself and instead relies on his minions to slaughter foes. He has two that you can control loosely, sort of like Legions in "Astral Chain", Griffon and Shadow (a demonic raven and panther duo) and Nightmare, a heavy hitting terror that acts as Vs special ability.

But the game really gets going when you gain control of Dante. Playing as Dante and juggling multiple fighting styles and weapons on the fly, changing mid combo, is exhilarating, an absolute thrill. Words don't do it justice. Just… watch this.

The game isn't difficult in a traditional sense until you unlock higher difficulties. But the real challenge of "Devil May Cry 5" isn't in not dying, it's looking as sexy as possible while murdering the minions of Hell. Stacking up that SSS meter and hearing the pumping thunder of the game's excellent Metal soundtrack results in a metaphorical IV of glorious dopamine.
  5. Untitled Goose Game - HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
  6. Resident Evil 2 -
    Capcom sure has been killing it lately, yeah? "Resident Evil 2" is a sensational remake of the classic Playstation 1 game that modernizes the formula but retains what made the original so thrilling.

The hub-like levels are intricately layered and while restricted at first, gradually open up as the player explores and progresses. Zombies are not simply killed and remain constant threats to the exploration as they can come back to life to harass the player and their limited inventory later.

Compounding this is Mr. X, whose integration is used at the most (or least?) opportunistic times to keep the player constantly on edge. Moments of relief are gracious boot soon give way to the dread that washes over as you hear Mr. X's oppressive footsteps bearing down on you. Fighting him truly isn't an option and you can only do your best to buy yourself time and slow him down.

The game also doesn't eschew some of the campier moments that lend much needed and amusing reprieve to the dour atmosphere of the game. Like a hysterical moment where Mr. X blasts through the wall to grab and crush someone who foreshadowed it only seconds before. The change to an over-the-shoulder perspective doesn't change the game's near unrelenting terror as the developers have succeeded at making things like Mr. X, resource management, level design, and scripted encounters retain the nature of the original.

This is how you do a remake.
  7. Sagebrush -
    "Sagebrush" is an adventure game that sees its protagonist venture to the remnants of a cult compound. There are no enemies, no ooga booga moments. All of the atrocities you slowly unveil have already happened. This is a game about PTSD and having the strength and courage to face your trauma.

The game features a retro 3D art style and has the player going from points of interest, solving puzzles, and piecing together the lead up to and final moments of the cult that occupied the compound.

While not having any threat of death or combat, the game manages to have a disturbing atmosphere that builds up to an crescendo that is genuinely terrifying. It's short and sweet too as it clocks in around two hours.
  8. Astral Chain -
    "Astral Chain" is another PlatinumGames foray into JRPGs. With Takahisa Taura at the helm who previously worked as the lead designer on "Nier: Automata", the lauded action game developer has crafted a unique dystopian world where the only hope of saving the last human city in the world from other dimensional monstrosities is through capturing them and bending them to the will of the player.

You control one of five Legions which are powerful specimens of that dimensional race. Combat involves controlling not only your own character but synergizing with your AI controlled Legion. You can issue simple commands to the Legion, but overall they act on their own accord.

However, they do react to you the input issued to your character, allowing your opportunities to chain together attacks and the results can create dizzying combos that are extremely well presented. The combat is good and while it isn't overtly difficult, it has a relative challenge and offers insane combos for those who can master the nuances of the combat system. The narrative of Astral Chain takes a back seat to this emphasis on combat but it also comes with some surprisingly good level design and world building.

The game has hub areas that offer sandbox experiences with plenty of character interaction. Your character can intervene in the live's of NPCs with tasks that range from catching someone's lost cat, bringing ice cream to a child who dropped theirs, to saving a family from being sucked into the hostile alternate dimension. The simpler quests add a slice of life quality to the game that made me care more about the world.
  9. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice -
    With "Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice", From Software distanced themselves a bit from the design ethos of their Soulsborne titles while also retaining a lot of what made those games great. On the surface, you could be forgiven for thinking this is still a Soulsborne title with its life/death cycle, checkpoint system, and difficulty.

Where "Sekiro" distinguishes itself, however, is its more focused encounter design. Where "Dark Souls" gives the player build freedom and allows them to express themselves through a variety of playstyles which the developers have to design the game around, "Sekiro" hones in on a rhythmic game of parrying and striking.

The biggest learning curve for me in this game was throwing away all of what Soulsborne titles taught me. You'll have to memorize telegraphed attacks, learn when to guard, when to attack, but you almost always have to be aggressive in "Sekiro", even when you're on thee defensive.

The ebb and flow of combat is hypnotic, weaving together perfectly timed blocks, dodges, and strikes, managing my stamina perfectly. I often found myself in moments of zen, like when I finally toppled the last boss. Which was herculean test of what the game had taught me up to that point. It was an adrenaline rush to end this titanic foe that had frustrated me for hours.

From Software also never disappoints with their art direction and "Sekiro" is no exception. Gorgeous vistas are around every corner and every section of the game is meticulously detailed.
  10. Timespinner -
    Metroidvania games are dime a dozen these days. It seems every month there's at least one that's getting some traction and is well received. One that might slip under the radar this year is "Timespinner", the long awaited Kickstarter game from Lunar Ray Games. Slated to release in 2015, after the scope of the project grew it was delayed multiple times before finally releasing late last year and this year on Nintendo Switch
    (which is where I played it).

What sets this apart from other games of its ilk is its JRPG inspired art direction and emphasis on story and character development. The player character, Lunais, is tasked with returning to the past to undo the destruction of her people. She has the ability to skip between timelines as a plot device but in gameplay is able to pause and alter time.

It makes for some interesting platforming, puzzle solving, and a great wrinkle to the game's combat that is admittedly derivative of "Symphony of the Night". But the most enjoyable part of the game is the story.

Lunais's journey turns from one of vengeance to amelioration. She interacts with victims of the past conflict that lead to the events that sent her back there and begins to question whether or not her path is a righteous one.

Its high resolution, pixelated art style bring this world to life and makes trekking through these locales a delight. From pristine lakes to futuristic castles, every inch of "Timespinner" feels worthy of exploring, which is extremely important for this genre. Overall the game is another gem in an ever growing sea of Metroidvania releases.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 - Capcom reinvented one of my favorite games of all-time and made it even better, new yet familiar.
  2. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order - Mixed Dark Souls and Metroid Prime together into a Star Wars game will a cool narrative that was a blast to play.
  3. A Plague Tale: Innocence - A harrowing journey that includes one of the best stories from a game in 2019.
  4. The Divison 2 - A looter shooter mixed with great combat and easily the best matchmaking system I've seen in a game of this type.
  5. Death Stranding - Easily the most unique experience of 2019 with a killer soundtrack and a memorable world to explore.
  6. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - From Software did it again by enhancing the Dark Souls formula with a strong combat engine and memorable bosses.
  7. Untitled Goose Game - The funniest game I've played this year. Crossing items off the list was fun and it also got my son into video games.
  8. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - Playtonic comes back strong with a DKC spiritual successor that exceeds the original game.
  9. Kind Words - No other game in 2019 gave me the good vibes that Kind Words gave. The soundtrack is killer. It feels like I'm helping people by playing it.
  10. Bloodstaind: Ritual of the Night - The Kickstarter project that lived up to its name. It's the Castlevania game I've been waiting for. Loved it.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - Kojima created a masterpiece here. It might not be for everyone. Well, there is the saying "Making a Game For Everyone is a Game For No-One." And that's the case here. It's not only the Game of the Year 2019, it's a contender for Game of the Generation, too.
  2. Days Gone - Bend Studio's first AAA game after a decade. A beautiful game, with an amazing open-world, a nice story around Deacon and an awesome soundtrack.
  3. MediEvil - MediEvil is an amazing trip down memory lane. A PlayStation classic with one of Sony's oldest, best and most charming characters since forever.
  4. Erica - Erica is maybe the best FMV adventure/thriller game that exists right now. It's a beautifully crafted little game that shows how effective good interactive storytelling can be. There still aren't enough choice-based games on the market right now. And especially not enough FMV games.
  5. Concrete Genie - Maybe the feel-good game of 2019. An uniquely heartwarming journey about a bullied teenager who tries to escape his troubles through his art.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
  1. AI: The Somnium Files - Great story, characters and worlbuilding. Arguably Uchikoshi's best game.
  2. Days Gone - The best Open World game this year, a slow burn at the start but once it gets going it's a blast.
  3. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Probably the best Metroidvenia in years, was pleasantly surprised by how great it is.
  4. A Plague Tale: Innocence - THE big surprise this year. Amazing story and worldbuilding. Hugo is the best game kid ever.
  5. Death Stranding - Very unique and interesting game, story is good. Gameplay not perfect but very enjoyable overall.
  6. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Although on the easy side the great story, chars and sheer amount of content make up for it.
  7. Disco Elysium - Such a great and unique RPG. Probably a new standard in terms of writing dialogue.
  8. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - Perfect JRPG goodness and a very good sequel to the first two games.
  9. Judgment - One of my favs from Ryu Ga Gotoku and a nice break from the Yakuza side of things. Amazing story.
  10. GreedFall - One of the best AA RPGs i played in a while. Decent story and characters and a ton of stuff to do.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
  1. World of Warcraft Classic - it was perfect then, and it's perfect now.
  2. Disco Elysium - this game feels like it was made just for me, and that never happens anymore.
  3. Judgment - my introduction to these games (never played a Yakuza) and it was fantastic.
  4. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - it's exciting to see an independent Bungie.
  5. Slay the Spire - an addictive card battler that I wasn't expecting to like as much as I do.
I didn't play as many games as I normally do because of WoW Classic, but there were also a lot of disappointments. Looking forward to checking out Control.

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 Remake - Incredible all around and super polished
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Amazing RPG and one of the best of the series
  3. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Super fun and easy to play in small bursts
  4. AI: The Somnium Files - Good game even though the gameplay was lacking, story was solid and good

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
This has been a really bad year when it comes to new games for me. I spent most of this year catching up on my backlog, and the few 2019 games I played were all disappointing. I hadn't really been planning to make a GotY list this year, as I've mentioned here before:

In other years I'd agree with you, I also like to be "part of the conversation" and whatnot, but I haven't particularly liked any game that I played (and was released) this year, so I'm kind of lost.

I'm considered either not bothering with a list at all, or else just having a list with Fire Emblem as #1 and then nothing else.

While a list with just Fire Emblem would be funny, luckily a new game suddenly came out at the end of the year which makes my list even funnier!
  1. Sonic Robo Blast 2 - This is blatantly not allowed, but I don't care. It's the 100% truth, so I don't mind my vote not being counted because it's not like I have anything else this year.

In an era where the 3D platformer genre is half-dead, I cannot heap enough praise onto this game. You would think that the multi-leveled and intricate level design of the 2D Sonic games couldn't be replicated in 3D, but this game completely shuts down that argument. I've played through the whole main campaign 7 times so far and each time was in many ways a completely new experience, despite going through the exact same levels. This is the only game of its kind, and it's my Game of the Year without question.

2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - It was my first Fire Emblem game, and I'm really disappointed in myself for ignoring the series for so many years if this was what I was missing out on.

And... yeah. That's it.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem Three Houses - Fire Emblem Three Houses is by far my most played game of the year with my Switch telling me I've clocked in over 250 hours, and it's easy to explain why. I grew to really enjoy and appreciate this new cast of FE heroes and heroines who I think is one of the series' strongest, see how their stories unfold and how they form bonds (or supports) with other characters, and just see how they evolve. Evolve in the sense of leveling up through the games many strategic battles and going through a variety of classes. I also really liked what Intelligent Systems and Koei Tecmo were able to do with the monastery, a place with a rather addicting variety of activities that the main character and their students can take part in. Three Houses felt like an evolution for the Fire Emblem series, an evolution that completely drew me in and kept my attention for a long time to come, and thus it's easy for me to say that it's my game of the year.
  2. Control - Control is another unique game that I've played this year, a game that really seems to embrace the term "crazy" for lack of a better word, and I loved every second of it. Control easily caught my attention from its very beginning levels and story beats, and kept my attention all the way to the end. Jesse's journey through the Oldest House was certainly something to experience. I loved moving through the various environments as well as using Jesse's combat abilities like lifting practically any object and then throwing it at enemies, levitating into the air during combat and attacking enemies from high above, or using her constantly shifting Service Weapon that could be a simple pistol to a full-on sniper rifle. Remedy Entertainment created a truly thought provoking and enthralling video game, one that I still think deeply about now months after release (including a certain section near the end of the game that is one of my favorite moments of the year.)
  3. Super Mario Maker 2 - Surprisingly, I didn't play as much of the first Mario Maker as I thought I would've. It just didn't catch my attention like I hoped it would, but it's a completely different story for the sequel. I've spent many enjoyable hours in Super Mario Maker 2 enjoying the story and all of its levels that Nintendo themselves created, as well as the many upon many levels that users have created and shared with the world. There are some very good levels that people have been able to create, filled with imagination, that can range from easy levels to ones that require skill to complete and master. It never fails to amaze me with just what people were able to create with the tools the game provides.
  4. Kingdom Hearts 3 - Though it took many years for this game to release, and there were times I gave up hope that we'd ever see it, KH3 finally did release and overall, I enjoyed and loved it. The combat was still energetic and fun to make use of as well as experiment with (especially with the new mechanic of Formchange that Sora has with all of the keyblades), the worlds were more expansive and fun to explore, the story (while convoluted here and there) was still something I was invested in and was happy to see play out and come to a close for now, and finally the music was still on point. It's a series that I've held close to my heart for a long time now, and I'm just glad that we finally got this entry in this series that has spanned across a couple of game generations and systems now.
  5. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - It was a concern of mine if we would ever get a great Star Wars game from EA, a Star Wars game that was largely single player with no microtransactions. Thankfully, we got that with Fallen Order, a game from the truly great studio Respawn Entertainment. Fallen Order felt like a Star Wars game, with an interesting story for the most part and an interesting cast of characters, including a surprisingly good protagonist in Cal Kestis. The gameplay blended a lot of different styles together, from Metroidvania elements to combat and respawning mechanics plucked straight out of Dark Souls. I had a blast playing through it and seeing Cal's story unfold, I was always excited when granted a new force power that could unlock new routes or items in the game's cluster of planets, or when unlocking a new combat mechanic from the game's skill tree. I'm hopeful for future Star Wars games now.
  6. Death Stranding - Death Stranding is one of the most interesting and unique games that I've played this year. It's hard to completely describe Death Stranding, but what I can say rather easily is that it's a game that left an impact on me and is something that I'm glad I experienced. Like other games from Hideo Kojima, this was a game with gameplay and a story that caught and kept my attention, as well as provide a group of interesting central and side characters. The gameplay might not be for everyone, but I liked the challenges that came with moving through these large environments and using the various tools available to you to get past obstacles like a mountain or a river or even the BTs. I always felt this great sense of accomplishment when overcoming these various challenges to reach the target destination and deliver the package assigned to me. It was also fun to interact and make use of objects that other players might've left behind through the game's online systems, like a stray ladder someone else placed to help me cross a gap. Overall, it's one of the most unique games I've played this year, but I'm glad I was able to go on another crazy journey provided by Kojima.
  7. Borderlands 3 - Borderlands is one of the most addicting series' I've ever played, with its gameplay of finding and looting many guns and using them to tear through the many environments and groups of enemies. This game was easily one of my most anticipated games of 2019, and (for the most part) it was another strong entry in a strong franchise. While the story, characters, and writing in this one didn't feel as strong as they did in the past games, the gameplay was still on point and I never got tired of finding a shiny new and powerful gun to use against the next enemy group or big boss battle. It also continued the series' tradition of having a fun group of playable characters to make use of like with Moze and her mech that brought back memories of Titanfall. It was another addicting and fun Borderlands game, and with DLC on the horizon I know I'm not done with it yet.
  8. A Plague Tale: Innocence - Games like The Last of Us are games that I always love playing through and experiencing, games that are largely linear in nature but tell a deep story with many characters, locations, and etc. A Plague Tale: Innocence stood out for me amongst the many games I've played this year because of its story and characters. I was deeply invested in Amicia and Hugo's journey, invested in how they survived against the rat hordes and Inquisition soldiers constantly threatening them. I grew to really appreciate its gameplay from the basic stealth mechanics to the other mechanics like Amicia's sling or the various alchemical items you can craft to help you. Asobo Studio created a really great game, a game that surprised me, and is one that easily left an impact on me.
  9. BoxBoy + BoxGirl - I still remember the first time I played the very first entry in the BoxBoy! series, a game that really came out of the blue but surprised me with how deep and enthralling it could get. BoxBoy! + BoxGirl! continued this, with a large number of fun mechanics and puzzles to solve, as well as other fun little things like minigames and the ability to collect various clothing pieces and dress up the characters. It felt rewarding each time clearing a stage, especially with the minimum number of boxes used, and a couple of times the game did stump me in regards to what I had to do next. I also never got tired of the game's fun music and beats, the music actually encouraging me to keep playing. This series might never be the biggest and popular puzzle series, but I'm glad Nintendo hasn't stopped with it yet, and I'm really excited to see what they could do next if they decide to continue it.
  10. Days Gone - Days Gone is not a perfect game, but it's not a bad game either. If anything, Deacon St. John and his story has both its faults and strengths. Sony Bend did a good job of crafting an open world game set in Oregon, and as someone who lives in Oregon, I'm happy they did such a fine job and created a game that eventually becomes quite interesting after a rather slow opening. The game might be a little too long for its own good, but the gameplay got rather addicting with clearing out the map of marauder camps, infestation zones, building up trust with the various camps, upgrading Deacon himself and his bike, and finally tackling the challenges of the hordes and the vast amounts of Freakers that make up each horde. Days Gone was a good entry point, and I'm excited to see what Sony Bend can do with Deacon, his story, this world, and everything else next.

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem Three Houses -
  2. Control -
  3. Super Mario Maker 2 -
  4. Kingdom Hearts 3 -
  5. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order -
  6. Death Stranding -
  7. Borderlands 3 -
  8. A Plague Tale: Innocence -
  9. BoxBoy + BoxGirl -
  10. Days Gone -
You need reasons and the names need to be in bold

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
de-poster-horizontal-1500x800.png

Death-Stranding-logo.jpg

OuterWildsHomepage-1024x576.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

iLpHbw8.jpg

For me, 2019 has been an incredible year for games. So many fresh experiences and innovative titles. I probably played more stuff this year than usual too. I got to try out a ton of lovely indies and most of the big AAA titles, but the three killers for me are Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds and Death Stranding. These are top of the decade list tier titles. I can't imagine next year topping those three, at least not yet.

1. Disco Elysium - I came into this with fairly limited experience of CRPGs, but had no issue getting invested in the intoxicating world of Disco Elysium. The writing in here was some of the best I've seen in any video game, with some just incredible characters, sense of place and actually interesting politics. The cast of skills who chime in to taunt you, provide insight on the world or argue amongst themselves were absolutely lovely and considering this is the first time I've seen a game attempt something like this, there weren't really any of the stumbles you'd expect with a dev pioneering something so innovative and fresh. I'm positive I'll be revisiting this game a decade from now. It's an instant classic
  2. Death Stranding - I desperately want to see more innovation and diversification in the AAA game space. I want more "mature" action games where the primary verbs aren't centered around slaughtering countless people. I'm not sure I'm even the that big on the story of this game, but the gameplay loop, the mechanics tied to traversal and hiking, were just wonderful. I loved setting out on an expedition, I couldn't get enough of the beautiful moments when new songs would drop after a reaching a mountains peak or clearing a stressful set of obstacles with a gorgeous vista in front of you. I couldn't be happier that Kojima got to make something other than another Metal Gear this year and I can't wait to see what him and his team come up with next.
  3. Outer Wilds - Some of the most satisfying exploration and discovery in any game I've played. The solar system is intricately designed. Each revelation is immensely satisfying. The final climax of the game had me teary eyed.
  4. Control - Loved the game's world and the atmosphere of the Oldest House. I think Quantum Break may have been a bit too disjointed with its use of FMV stuff, but they perfected it here. I devoured each clip of Dr. Casper (props to Matthew Porretta). Couldn't get enough of the little lore documents as well. I think this is Remedy's best work since at least Alan Wake, maybe since the Max Payne games.
  5. Pathalogic 2 - I'm still playing this one. I could see it rising in my list. for now though it's already an unforgettable experience.
  6. Judgment - Another complete banger from the RGGS team. While it wasn't up to the heights of Yakuza 6 or 0 (for me), I still fell in love with the new cast of buddies and got way too invested in the procedural drama over the course of the week I spent with Judgment. Cannot wait for Yakuza 7.
  7. Resident Evil 2
  8. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  9. A Short Hike
  10. Shenmue 3 - I was actually much higher on Shenmue 3 in the first half of the game. I found that setting and atmosphere much more enticing. Still loved getting to take it easy and enjoy the smaller things with what's hopefully not the final entry in this franchise.
  11. Devotion
  12. Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes - Suda is back in the director's chair and I couldn't be happier. This is the most interesting new game from Grasshopper since, well, probably NMH1.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Slay the Spire - Ingenious card roguelike, which has already spawned countless copycats and will influence similar games to come.
  2. Disco Elysium - In a time where "Role Playing Game" is often nothing more than an umbrella term for a collection of gameplay-elements like Experience Points, Disco Elysium manages to be the first game that truly embodies the original meaning of assuming a character and having the freedome to play him however you like. It stays entertaining despite having no traditional battles. We'll be talking about the influence of the game for years to come.
  3. Super Mario Maker 2 - It was my most anticipated game I'll probably never play! Nevertheless I already have hundreds of hours of fun with it, since I watch it being played almost daily.

I can't believe it took 40 posts before someone correctly identified the proper GOTY.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I almost feel weird picking this as #1. It's not a game that redefines the genres or revolutionizes a damn thing, but I'll be damned if I didn't put piles of hours into it, found myself sucked in by the characters, and appreciative of the tweaks that had been made to the combat system. It's still the cart sitting in my Switch and seems to have resulted in very few other games getting all that much playtime. It has been this year's "Blocker of Backlog" winner for sure, and there are games on my backlog that could very well have made this list but I never got to them in large part because of TH. That has to count for something.
  2. Untitled Goose Game - Short, silly, fun. A gem.
  3. Super Mario Maker 2 - Best 2D Mario campaign in years? Plus all that awesome build-your-own-ness.
  4. Katana Zero - It won't win any high rankings, but I feel it should get some mention for being a really great action platform, even if it was too short.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - It's the best playing, most fun game of the year. Therefore, it's the best game of the year. I wanted Tenchu-Souls and I damn sure got it. Even if it lacks the replayability of FROM's other titles, I've already played through it multiple times and most certainly will be back.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - I love everything about Death Stranding. The performances, gameplay, graphics and soundtrack choices were all top tier. A wonderful experience only rivalled this gen by Bloodborne. I have to give special praise to Mads Mikkelsen's last scene which hit me like a gut punch and stayed with me for a week afterwards.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - A top 5 game this gen, no question. Owl at Hirata, Sword Saint, Genichiro at Ashina Dojo and Demon of Hatred are classic From fights that were incredible and will live long in the memory.
  3. Apex Legends - Captivated me for a huge portion of the year. 400+ wins later I'm happy to say this my favourite BR and that I had a blast playing it. Wraith >
  4. Control - Picked this up in the Christmas sale and it left a really good impression. The story, atmosphere and presentation are all superb.
  5. Resident Evil 2 - While it was never going to live up to the hype as RE298 is one of my favourite games of all time, Capcom did a really solid job with the remake. I wish they'd included more of the classic RE2 moments, but what can you do? They delivered a survival horror game dripping with atmosphere that, for the most part, stayed true to the original. Can't ask for much more than that, and it was thoroughly enjoyable.
  6. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Would be my favourite Metroidvania this gen if Hollow Knight didn't exist. A sublime game that proves Iga still has it. It surpassed my expectations when I played it in November.
  7. Remnant: From The Ashes - A game that surprised me and exceeded my expectations. The gameplay and boss fights were a ton of fun. That final boss, pre-patch, was a blast solo. Shame they nerfed the encounter via patch, but nevermind. There was just enough locational variety in there to keep it fresh. Love how it wasn't too bogged down with narrative and didn't ram the story down your throat. I got a solid 60 hours out of it. Brilliant game.
  8. Slay the Spire - I'm not really into the genre but Slay captured my attention by how easy it is to just pick up and play when you have a spare 40 minutes. I haven't really enjoyed failing, dying and restarting this much since Dark Souls. Addictive.
  9. Children of Morta - Another addictive little game that was tons of fun. Plat run was highly enjoyable!
edited to reflect my recent playthru of Control.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - The most satisfying combat system in any video game I've ever played. I love parrying in Souls games so I felt right at home with Sekiro. The combat, movement, and beautiful Japanese aesthetic work together to create a gameplay loop that feels amazing to play, even 100 hours and 5 playthroughs later.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - I haven't played the original so I have no basis for comparison, but I thought it was a top-tier horror game. Great atmosphere and tense exploration are really all I need, and RE2 delivers.
  3. World of Warcraft Classic - I have a long history with WoW so it was pretty incredible to go back to the original experience. I thought I would enjoy it solely for the nostalgia, but much to my surprise vanilla WoW is a legit good video game. Minimal hand-holding, no eye-roll-inducing "you are the chosen one" storylines, no convoluted lore. Just a huge world to explore, dungeons that feel like dungeons, and a community that actually talks to each other.
  4. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - A really solid if not overly-safe metroidvania.
  5. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - An pretty decent Souls-like set in the Star Wars universe. Decent combat if not a bit janky. Decent story and nice locations.
  6. A Plague Tale: Innocence - Good characters, decent gameplay, didn't overstay its welcome.

I played a few other 2019 games this year, but I don't really feel like they belong on a GOTY list. I also haven't played quite a few that probably would make the list... Death Stranding, Disco Elysium, etc. Too many games too little time.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 - Slim pickings for me this year. But I gotta get a vote in for RE2, an absolute joy and masterpiece I didn't expect to be so good. I am terrible at action games despite my love for old school RE, and I also have arthritis, but the game's very customize-able difficulty and control options made it very accessible even for someone like me. I do think, as someone who ranks the original as one of the lower-tier old-school RE games in my very personal opinion, that it surpassed the original. Capcom proved that the industry still has some life in it yet for some ultra-jaded old fart like me. Cannot wait to see what they do to 3, which is my least favorite of the old-school games.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Finally time for this! 2019 has been super good to me. The early rush in the year was great. There's a big gap in my enjoyment of the top 5 from the other 5 on my list but that just says how good those top 5 were.
  1. Devil May Cry 5 - Easily the best combat in any game made EVER. I've waited for this game for so so long and boy did it not disappoint. Fighting in this game is fun personified, so many options, so many choices and it looks so good and stylish as you do it. On top of that the game boasts a banging soundtrack and excellent visuals; Capcom put out a classic.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - The fact that this came out the same month with DMC5 is insane. March 2019 had to have been one of the best months ever and picking between these for this list is really hard. Sekiro stands out as an all-round experience. The level design and areas are tight. The art is fricking fantastic. The atmosphere and world are ridiculous (how From software keep making amazing worlds time after time is insane). Bosses as per usual for From Soft are top notch. It's a great package.
  3. Kingdom Hearts 3 - KH3 did everything I wanted it to do after all these years. Finishing the Xehanort arc? Done. Give closure to a lot of the characters I've been following for years? Done. Larger than life Disney worlds to explore? Done. An amazing Yoko Shimomura Soundtrack? Done. Elements in gameplay, story and music that pay homage to the legacy games of the series? Done. This is everything I could ever have wanted from a mainline console Kingdom Hearts game after so long.
  4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - My surprise hit this year. FE:3H has alot going for it, from the huge amount of content and replayability, to the fun tactics gameplay, to the generally excellent voice acting, to the soundtrack (Fodlan Winds song of the year). But what really makes this game is the characters. Dimitri Alexandre Blaiddyd is one of the best new characters I've encountered in a game in a very very long time with a story that had me super invested. And he's not the only great character. Edelgard and Claude are both fantastic main characters, the wider cast are super entertaining and have great interactions with each other too. I kept replaying it to get more and more scenes with these characters and that's how FE:3H ended up being my most played game this year.
  5. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Was looking forward to this one for awhile and was pleasantly surprised by what it turned out to be. Technically a mess but it was the Castlevania SOTN clone I'd needed for years. It's sometimes unapologetically wearing it's inspiration from SOTN but for me that's a good thing. The atmosphere and exploration is top notch, the weapons and combat are really fun to experiment, and the bosses are actually very good. I can't wait to see more from Koji Igarashi after this game.
  6. Super Robot Wars T - The apparent last game in the PS4 mini trilogy of SRW games. This one went above and beyond the others with post launch support allowing you to break the game and become more powerful in crazier ways that usual. And it got a full mini DLC expansion to boot. The treatment T got makes me excited for the future of SRW after next year.
  7. Mortal Kombat 11 - While the aesthetic of previous MK games dampened my excitement when playing them, MK 11 is just gorgeous. The art style is finally in a great place and Character designs are all round really good which makes it much easier to enjoy things such as the story mode which is as high quality as ever and a super fun romp. MK11 is also one of the few fighting games to constantly provide single player content for players Even post launch so it's already fun to just load it up and go through a tower or two.
  8. Catherine: Full Body - I'd never played the original Catherine so I didn't know what the fuss was about but now I get it. An atlus game with older characters, unconventional gameplay and a super interesting story. Plus it's on consoles! Its so weird and unique and I really wish Atlus would make more stuff like Catherine these days.
  9. Astral Chain - Platinums attempt and doing something even more different than usual falls flat sometimes but overall is still extremely enjoyable. The unique combat system is fun to play with. The look and setting are quite interesting and the music is quite good especially the HQ song! I'd like to see a sequel expand on the games strengths for sure.
  10. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order - When reviews for JFO came out saying it's basically a 3D metroidvania in the Star Wars universe, I was all in. Finding out it was true was even better. The progression and exploration in JFO is very rewarding and the variety in the gorgeous worlds is great. Jank aside this is a very solid game that's hard to put down when you get into it.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Death Stranding:

death-stranding---button-20197-1563692244528.jpg

There's just something so magical about this game for me. The music, cutscenes, progression, and the feeling of the expanse opening up in front of you as you crest over a mountain and the music kicks in as you see where you're trying to get to; it's all so wonderful.

2. Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown:

ace-combat-7-mainvisual-sp.png

Ace Combat is my favourite franchise in gaming (Assault Horizon can be fired into the sun though). So finally having a current gem title launch that's once again set in the Strangereal universe, was a treat that I enjoyed immensely. The multiplayer was also the first time in ages where I was actually pretty decent at playing against human opponents.
It was hard choosing which of those two was #1 for the year for me, but I gave the edge to Death Stranding due to how much the single player has given me in time and enjoyment.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 - This game was about as much as I could expect for a near perfect remake of the original game. The overall atmosphere of the areas is significantly darker and creepier, zombies are once again a threat (no more reverse suplexing monsters through tables), and Mr. X instills extra difficulty, causing you to think on your feet in order to avoid him, current threats, and solve puzzles. My only complaint is that I wanted more DLC, and that's honestly not much of a complaint considering RE3 is coming in mere months. I did nearly everything there was to offer in this game. It's been a while since I've been bothered to go back and do extra content that wasn't massive DLC like Old Hunters or War of the Chosen
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - This is probably the most fun I've ever had with a Fire Emblem game. My biggest gripe in Fire Emblem was always how I'd end up accidentally killing a unit I could've recruited and how I didn't really care for any of my characters beyond their skill set. In this one I actually got to care about the characters learning their backstories and was far more invested in making sure no one died.
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - It's definitely the most linear of the Souls games that I've played in terms of character and story, despite having multiple paths to choose from, but it delivered on something I always wondered about in games, which is why human characters can take multiple slashes with a sword before they go down. The parry combat serves as a method of maintaining satisfying gameplay without sacrificing that realism, and it allows you to pull off some amazing boss moments, parrying and exchanging blows with the boss and only landing one direct hit to kill (or two)
  4. Devil May Cry 5 - This is actually the first Devil May Cry I've ever played. I got caught up on the story through some YouTube videos and dove in. I'm no stranger to character action or these style of combo oriented games, having gone through both Bayonetta's and all the God of War games, but even then I had a lot to learn in terms of style switching to get used to this one. Overall though it was an incredibly fun experience. Trying to vary up your combos to be as stylish as possible was great, and even though I dove in at 5, the cool moments were not lost on me.
  5. Kingdom Hearts 3 - Even if this game had been an absolute dumpster fire across all boards I would've been legally obligated to put this into my list. I'm a huge fan of Disney stuff and that's what initially got me into this series, but I stayed for series' heart (no pun intended) and the surprisingly in depth combat system. The story is clownshoes even to people who are all caught up on everything but it's an entertaining ride the whole way through.
  6. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order - It could do with another once over to patch out some small bugs but this is an incredibly fun game. If you enjoyed Sekiro and like Star Wars this is definitely a game you'll want to check out, as it combines the gameplay of Sekiro, the systems of Dark Souls, the mapping and puzzle solving of a Metroid Prime game, and the climbing and platforming of Uncharted.
  7. Control - Admittedly my experience with this one was a little marred by attempting to play it on a base PS4 but I didn't let that distract me from how great a game this is. It's effectively the SCP game that I always wanted. I'm definitely looking forward to the DLC. The way this game looks and plays when you start is INFINITELY different than what you're doing towards the end.
  8. Death Stranding - Exciting isn't a word that I would use to describe this game. More fulfilling or satisfying, like when you get a double Tetris and your wall of blocks is set up just right, or when you spent a ton of time debugging your code and it finally works right. It's that fulfillment at the end of each delivery that makes this game feel good to play. The world is the puzzle as you constantly find ways to circumvent things that would be trivial in any other game, like changing your worn out boots, crossing bodies of water, or just not falling the fuck over. Combine that with a surreal world and an amazing cast and you have an awesome game.
  9. Sayonara Wild Hearts - I was late to the party on this one but damn do I love everything about this game's aesthetic. It's an amazing rhythm game, and something that you'd expect to be a video game in Scott Pilgrim's universe. Visuals are solid, music is solid, gameplay is straightforward but entertaining. I can't do this game justice with a description.
  10. Borderlands 3 - While they remained consistent with the memes, the game is definitely still really fun. Whether you're alone or with friends, Borderlands 3 offers a ton of missions and guns to keep you occupied, and its new playable characters are great. I'm also always a fan of previously playable characters returning as mentors.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've played and finished enough games to make a top 10, but I think I'll only pick 5 this year. Lots of games just don't deserve the points.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Aight, here's my vote, I had to check if Shadowbringers and Iceborne were allowed!
Here's my short countdown:
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  2. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
  3. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
  4. Resident Evil 2 Remake
  5. Fire Emblem Three Houses
  6. Control
  7. Dragon Quest Builders 2
  8. Borderlands 3
  9. The Outer Worlds
  10. Devil May Cry 5
j6weWkI.png

Here's my explained countdown:

1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - it's brilliant. It's insanely difficult, it's punishing, it's visceral but it's so satisfying!! The bosses, the action set pieces, the exploration, combat, movement. I adore it. While it's not my favorite From Software game, I definitely think it is a brilliant game. Visiting From Software while they were developing this game made me even more excited lol.
  2. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers - the only reason it isn't #1 is because I don't feel comfortable giving GOTY to expansions. The best Final Fantasy story to date, simple as that. The only downside is that you need to play for about 80 hours to get to it. But my god it is amazing and everything I hoped for. If you like Final Fantasy, JRPGs or good stories, Shadowbringers is everything you need. And they introduced a mechanic to solo dungeons with AI partners. It's a perfect 10/10 and I really wish I could feel comfortable giving it the #1 GOTY spot.
  3. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - same as above, if it's DLC I am not too keen on giving it the top spot. It's perfect. It's better than the main game, small QoL improvements that add up and turn into the best Monster Hunter to date. My only complaints is that the game is still kinda hard to understand at times and simply doesn't tell you things that are pivotal. Post game is super cool and constantly being added upon.
  4. Resident Evil 2 Remake - my favorite Resident Evil done justice. They nailed everything about it, simple as that. No complaints, nothing but good vibes from it. What a wonderful title.
  5. Fire Emblem Three Houses - this game had the odds against it. Fire Emblem had been consistently awful, gacha mobile trashy game, the worst FE to date in Fire Emblem Fates (Revelations to be precise) and the somewhat dull remake Shadow of Valentia. But my god did this game come out swinging. It's a little too obvious when it's not even being influenced by, but straight up ripping off Trails of Cold Steel with its school mechanics but they made it more appealing to a general audience. The story is finally good for a Fire Emblem game in what feels like more than a decade! Combat is engaging and interesting, character development is real, there is no perfectly happy ending, your actions have consequences. What a delightful game, easily my favorite game on Switch this year, and possibly ever. My only complaint is also the reason why it's not in the Top 3... the game is ugly as sin. It's not like a From Software DS game that you're thinking "oh it's kinda fugly but I can work around it". No, Fire Emblem is one of the best games of the year by far, but is also one of the ugliest AAA games this year, easily.
  6. Control - this game is weird, the good kind of weird. Feels like a Nolan movie in a videogame form. I do terribly suck at the game though.
  7. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - COZIEST GAME OF THE YEAR.
  8. Borderlands 3 - the writing is awful, out of touch, unfunny and awful... but my god the gameplay is phenomenal. Playing with friends makes the experience even stronger.
  9. The Outer Worlds - While it did Bethesda's formula better than Bethesda ever did... that is hardly any praise since the bar is rock bottom. The writing alone, carries this game to #9. Wish the gameplay was as good as the dialogue, but I still want to congratulate Obsidian for such a great title.
  10. Devil May Cry 5 - it's a fun action game, the soundtrack is badass and so is the combat. While I didn't enjoy playing with Nero (at all), V was amazing and Dante was so, so much fun. In a time when AAA games try to be less like videogames and more like seamless experiences borderline interactive movies or series, DMC is all about just being as gamey as it can be, and that is why it's so good. I don't think it's as perfect as the fans claim it is, but it's definitely a good game, that is unquestionable. (I also enjoyed DmC a lot)

11. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order - it's an amazing Star Wars game but the difficulty is horrible and feels like they completely missed on what makes Dark Souls combat good, it's not hard for the sake of being hard, it's hard because the games allow you to move and dodge precisely, it demands a lot from players because it allows them to react perfectly. SW demands a lot but is clunky and hard to react precisely. It's either too easy or too hard and doesn't feel like it should be. Regardless, excellent characters, story and good use of their resources to focus on great level design and visuals. Gameplay was mediocre since it's never better than what they are trying to reference, but all in all, it was good!
12. Super Mario Maker 2 - it's guaranteed fun. Excellent party game and good vibes all around. Menus are awkward and Nintendo-like, in the worst way possible. Enjoyable, but at least one person in the group needs to know how to decipher such unnecessarily complex menus.

Unfortunately I didn't play neither Disco Elysium nor Death Stranding so I can't put them on good conscience despite knowing I'll adore them when I get to them. And Luigi's Mansion 3 isn't my style. Are we doing a worst games of 2019 list? Cause I got some hot takes!

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
  1. Resident Evil 2 - the game manages to do something i'd doubted it could: completely capture the essence of the original...
  2. Control - an imaginative, paranoid journey that ended up going to all kinds of unexpected places...
  3. Death Stranding - a remarkable accomplishment. like the dude, Kojima-san endures...
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - a loving remake of a charming game...
  5. Ghost Recon: Breakpoint - my 2 favorite single-player Ubisoft games this gen? The Division, & this...
  6. Days Gone - yeah, it got pretty excessive, eventually, but never so much that i didn't keep goin'. dumb fun...

Deleted member 61002

Banned
Nov 1, 2019
  1. Resident Evil 2 - This game was about as much as I could expect for a near perfect remake of the original game. The overall atmosphere of the areas is significantly darker and creepier, zombies are once again a threat (no more reverse suplexing monsters through tables), and Mr. X instills extra difficulty, causing you to think on your feet in order to avoid him, current threats, and solve puzzles. My only complaint is that I wanted more DLC, and that's honestly not much of a complaint considering RE3 is coming in mere months. I did nearly everything there was to offer in this game. It's been a while since I've been bothered to go back and do extra content that wasn't massive DLC like Old Hunters or War of the Chosen
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - This is probably the most fun I've ever had with a Fire Emblem game. My biggest gripe in Fire Emblem was always how I'd end up accidentally killing a unit I could've recruited and how I didn't really care for any of my characters beyond their skill set. In this one I actually got to care about the characters learning their backstories and was far more invested in making sure no one died.
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - It's definitely the most linear of the Souls games that I've played in terms of character and story, despite having multiple paths to choose from, but it delivered on something I always wondered about in games, which is why human characters can take multiple slashes with a sword before they go down. The parry combat serves as a method of maintaining satisfying gameplay without sacrificing that realism, and it allows you to pull off some amazing boss moments, parrying and exchanging blows with the boss and only landing one direct hit to kill (or two)
  4. Devil May Cry V - This is actually the first Devil May Cry I've ever played. I got caught up on the story through some YouTube videos and dove in. I'm no stranger to character action or these style of combo oriented games, having gone through both Bayonetta's and all the God of War games, but even then I had a lot to learn in terms of style switching to get used to this one. Overall though it was an incredibly fun experience. Trying to vary up your combos to be as stylish as possible was great, and even though I dove in at 5, the cool moments were not lost on me.
  5. Kingdom Hearts 3 - Even if this game had been an absolute dumpster fire across all boards I would've been legally obligated to put this into my list. I'm a huge fan of Disney stuff and that's what initially got me into this series, but I stayed for series' heart (no pun intended) and the surprisingly in depth combat system. The story is clownshoes even to people who are all caught up on everything but it's an entertaining ride the whole way through.
  6. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order - It could do with another once over to patch out some small bugs but this is an incredibly fun game. If you enjoyed Sekiro and like Star Wars this is definitely a game you'll want to check out, as it combines the gameplay of Sekiro, the systems of Dark Souls, the mapping and puzzle solving of a Metroid Prime game, and the climbing and platforming of Uncharted.
  7. Control - Admittedly my experience with this one was a little marred by attempting to play it on a base PS4 but I didn't let that distract me from how great a game this is. It's effectively the SCP game that I always wanted. I'm definitely looking forward to the DLC. The way this game looks and plays when you start is INFINITELY different than what you're doing towards the end.
  8. Death Stranding - Exciting isn't a word that I would use to describe this game. More fulfilling or satisfying, like when you get a double Tetris and your wall of blocks is set up just right, or when you spent a ton of time debugging your code and it finally works right. It's that fulfillment at the end of each delivery that makes this game feel good to play. The world is the puzzle as you constantly find ways to circumvent things that would be trivial in any other game, like changing your worn out boots, crossing bodies of water, or just not falling the fuck over. Combine that with a surreal world and an amazing cast and you have an awesome game.
  9. Sayonara Wild Hearts - I was late to the party on this one but damn do I love everything about this game's aesthetic. It's an amazing rhythm game, and something that you'd expect to be a video game in Scott Pilgrim's universe. Visuals are solid, music is solid, gameplay is straightforward but entertaining. I can't do this game justice with a description.
  10. Borderlands 3 - While they remained consistent with the memes, the game is definitely still really fun. Whether you're alone or with friends, Borderlands 3 offers a ton of missions and guns to keep you occupied, and its new playable characters are great. I'm also always a fan of previously playable characters returning as mentors.

Please change to Devil May Cry 5

Devil May Cry V won't be counted

Theodoricos

Oct 25, 2017
nm7DYHz.png

1. Amid Evil - A spiritual successor to Heretic and the retro FPS genre as a whole, Amid Evil - like Dusk - was a breath of fresh air in many different ways. The weapon selection is among my favorites across all of FPS; the variety of the worlds was great to see; Andrew Hulshult's soundtrack is great to listen to and I still do so to this day; the bestiary is nice and the level design is mostly on point. Amid Evil is perhaps not quite as good as Dusk, but still pretty damn good.
  2. AI: The Somnium Files - I've been eagerly anticipating Kotaro Uchikoshi's next standalone project ever since I first played Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and I wasn't disappointed. Although it doesn't reach the same heights as 999 nor does it boast as strong of an atmosphere, AI: The Somnium Files is an entertaining story told in a engrossing way. The characters are charming and the Somniums are enjoyable to go through. I ultimately liked it less than 999, but I put it above Virtue's Last Reward.
  3. Observation - As a pretty big sci-fi enthusiast, I was eager for the next narrative-focused sci-fi video game. There were a few of those this year, but none as good as Observation. The story obviously emulates some of the best sci-fi films out there but it puts a new spin on them to keep things exciting. The way the story's presented is amazing and the game as a whole is positively dripping with atmosphere. The gameplay is not that good and it's mostly just going through the motions, but it fits the vision of the project.
  4. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Finally, the first good single player Star Wars game since Empire at War. It's mostly Dark Souls-lite but that was fine for me and as far as I'm concerned, it did what it set out to do and it did it well. The combat is engaging and challenging; the enemies are varied and exciting to fight; the level design encourages and rewards exploration; and the lightsaber customization is the cherry on top that personalizes the experience. Story and characters are fairly weak and Kashyyyk is a low point, but they don't drag down the game to the point where I'd hesitate putting it on this list.
  5. Hypnospace Outlaw - A nostalgic trip to the days of Geocities and personal webpages in an alternate universe, Hypnospace Outlaw is fantastic as a simulator and it offers plenty to do and discover. The design of Hypnospace is charming and I loved getting lost in it all. The writing is a little disappointing and the resolution of the story could've been executed better, but that's not really what I was playing for anyway and it didn't detract from the experience all that much.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
ZTDfoua.jpg

Zwm7uXP.jpg

RZNnPHM.jpg

UMnywEm.jpg

wOMW47t.jpg

1. Devil May Cry 5 - The grand master and originator of the character action genre is back and in glorious form. It's so great to play a video gamey ass video game with production values like this. It's wonderful, it's everything a DMC fan could want and it's the best game to come out this year.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - A wonderful remake of the survival horror classic. This pays homage to the original while still forging it's own path and being very much it's own game.
  3. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - I've always loved Koji Igarashi's castlevania games and his grand return to the genre was fantastic. Delivered on everything I wanted and was thoroughly enjoyable.
  4. Amid Evil - An excellent retro FPS with great visual design, creative weapons and excellent level design. Fans of Heretic and Hexen should definitely check it out.
  5. Ion Fury - Developer asshattery aside, this was a solid retro FPS heavily inspired by Duke Nukem, Blood and Shadow Warrior. While it doesn't live up to those titles, it was still a fun time.

I played a few other games this year (Operencia, Blasphemous and some others) but none really stood out enough to be counted.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
This year I can only count to 8. Not for a lack of great games, but because one game took so much of my time that I didn't have room to play anything else. So, sorry Astral Chain, but you came out in Fire Emblem season. No time to play.

With that, I present McNum's ResetEra Game of the Year List 2019:
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Quite possibly the best Fire Emblem yet. It certainly is the most Fire Emblem clocking in at three and a half times the usual content for a Fire Emblem game thanks to being able to choose each of the Three Houses for a full playthrough, as well as one having a branching choice halfway through.

Every single character has something to like about them, and most have more than the one-note stereotypical traits that earlier Fire Emblem characters suffered from. And even if they do, they find a way to twist it, or find some horrible angle on it, like how Bernadetta's reclusiveness is a result of having an abusive father, or Lysithea's restlessness comes from a traumatic experience as a child that drastically reduced her lifespan.

The school setting is used surprisingly well, and you can feel the mood of the school change over time, especially when big events happen. Some months are energetic like the one featuring the school ball and dance contest, while others are tense and foreboding, such as the one where a well-liked student has gone missing. And then the war happens, and suddenly we're Game of Thrones instead of Harry Potter. Remember all those likable characters? Now some of them are enemies, and you will fight and kill them, regretting your actions all the way.

While the graphics aren't that great, and the mouth animation has an annoying error that you can't un-see when you notice it, the music is surprisingly varied yet still good. (Seriously, there's a dubstep track and it makes sense in context!) The voice acting is also pretty great, I would highlight Seteth as possibly the best of the lot, but there are many great performances here.

From its release July until Pokémon in November, I played nothing but Fire Emblem. Completed all the paths, too. And yet I still want to have a couple more runs when the final DLC arrives. And that is about the highest endorsement I can give.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is just that good!

2. Pokemon Sword/Shield - Votebot gets the wrong spelling without the é. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. For the second year running, a Pokémon game takes second for me. At this point, you know what a Pokémon game is about, and the tried and true formula, with the few required tweaks just works.

I do like the Dynamax feature. It's mostly fluff for the singleplayer campaign, but having the Gym Battles turn into kaiju fights as the entire stadium cheers you on is just awesome. Same with the Max Raid fights where you can team up and fight giant Pokémon. Which brings me to the other new feature, the Wild Area. It's neat. A big area with Pokémon walking around to be fought and caught, as well as where you find the Max Raids. I kind of want a game that's mostly Wild Area now, and I really hope it returns in the next game.

The music is good, as it usually is for Pokémon, but it is kind of odd to see cutscenes where characters stand around, their mouths are moving, but there's no voice acting. Feels like they should go all out and add that next time, it did wonders for Fire Emblem to go full voice.

Lastly, the missing Pokémon need to be mentioned, I never had trouble setting a team, but I can understand if people are annoyed their favorites are missing.

3. Super Mario Maker 2 - It's more Mario Maker in all senses of the word. It's still a very accessible Mario stage creator, though the loss of the Wii U Gamepad for drawing terrain on is felt as none of the new options really can match the intuitiveness of just drawing on the screen.

The new 3D World in 2D style is fun to build in, and several of the new options, including slopes make entirely new stage concepts possible, and overall Super Mario Maker 2 is just a better Super Mario Maker.

I mentioned with the original that making good stages is hard, and that is still true. But this time Nintendo was kind enough to include a set of tutorials, not just for how to build stages, but also as a crash course in level design. But since this is optional, I do worry that those who need it the most simply won't read it.

4. Cadence of Hyrule - Or to use the official name: "Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda" Zelda music is catchy. Crypt of the NecroDancer is a fun take on the dungeon crawler and rhythm genres. Combined they become something as special as it is unlikely. Play as Link, Zelda (!), Cadence, and other unlockable characters as your dance your way through a procedurally generated Hyrule, to defeat Octavio who has put Hyrule under his spell.

Honestly, this game is just fun. It's a slightly friendlier take on the roguelike genre, as dying does not have to be permanent here, and that it's almost a full randomly generated 2D Zelda each time you start is kind of impressive. The music is, of course, great, and I have to highlight the amazing boss names and ideas this game has, a favorite being the combination of the three headed dragon named Gleeok and a Glockenspiel, becoming the fearsome Gleeokenspeil. How do you even get that idea?

5. Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit - In the box, you get about 15 sheets of cardboard, a pair of lenses, and a game card with building instructions and some VR games. I am not sure what I expected of this, but I had fun with it. Building the surprisingly sturdy cardboard creations was good fun, and using the Switch as a VR screen works well enough. Not to the level of a dedicated headset, of course, but well enough that it makes its point.

It is interesting to have a physical real world object to hold when in VR mode. Taking underwater photos is neat when you're holding a camera, and the shooting minigame with the Blaster is just weird. Special note that the Blaster is built in a way so it has a kick whenever you pull the trigger, giving you a bit of recoil to contend with.

As a cheaper intro to VR, the VR Kit does its job. I would be remiss to forget to mention that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are compatible with the VR Kit. I kind of wish Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was, too.

6. Wargroove - Fantasy Advance Wars with Hero units. It is very much like Advance Wars, with the economy and disposable units, but you also have a Commander with a special Groove ability that can change the tide of battle, as you fight a turn based strategy battle. Wargroove is overall a solid game, but what sets it apart is the full featured map and campaign editor that comes with it. Make your own map or entire campaign and share it with the world, cross platform, even.

7. Sega AGES OutRun - If you can overlook the lack of an actual Ferrari, this is easily the best version of OutRun yet. All of the gameplay features of the 3DS version return, and like it, it runs at a smooth 60FPS despite the arcade original only being 30. If you want to try the classic OutRun and have a Switch, get this one.

8. Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition - A latecomer for me, as I got it on a Steam Sale. While I haven't completed it, so far the game is fun, Yuri is an interesting protagonist for how much of a jerk he can be, and overall, it just plays well, like a good Tales of game does. Putting it last as I just haven't played enough to compare it to the rest, but it definitely belongs here somewhere.
And that's about it. Maybe Tales of Vesperia will jump up a few after I beat it, or maybe a new game will get added to the list in an edit, but nothing will threaten Fire Emblem and I wanted to get this done while I remembered it.

And yes. That is the full name of Cadence of Hyrule.

Status
Not open for further replies.