• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Figured I'd go ahead and finally do this on the last day!

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Far and away my favorite gaming experience this year. I dabbled with Awakening and Birthright but this one gripped me completely for something like 125+ hours, not getting burnt out until halfway through my third playthrough. Amazing music, amazing characters, an amazing world, great gameplay (that does admittedly fall into the realm of being too easy later on), and a plot - while the flaws become more apparent the more you play - that asks you, the player, what you support. That first playthrough was magical, and this easily lands in my top games of all time.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - As a huge Resident Evil fan this was like a dream come true. An almost perfect blending of both action and horror elements and I am beyond excited to see RE3make.
  3. Devil May Cry V - In terms of pure gameplay, this is the best title released this year. Insanely fun and stylish, modern action games wish they played this well.
  4. Control - Wonderfully weird and bizarre, Sam Lake and Remedy created a truly memorable experience that I wish we got more of with these production values.
  5. Astral Chain - I admittedly never finished it (but plan to!) but a fascinating mishmash of many different concepts with great gameplay and a fantastic sense of style.
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - I never beat the original, but technical issues aside it was a wonderful experience. Actually pushed me to play the Oracle games and realize that 2D Zelda is actually awesome.
  7. Luigi's Mansion 3 - The lack of value to the collectibles really hurt the experience, but a great cartoony romp that reminded me of why I loved the original game so much.
  8. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Boss battles were uh, pretty bad, but this hit all the right notes as someone that loved the DS Castlevanias when I was younger.
  9. Sayonara Wild Hearts - A fun, concise experience with wonderful music. Hard for me to compare this to the bigger games, but I greatly enjoyed the 2 hours I spent with it.
  10. Pokemon Sword - Not an amazing game, but a fun one, and probably the most enjoyable experience I've had with Pokemon since the DS era. Hopefully GF can expand on this because some elements, like the wonderful art direction of the towns, need to be expanded on.

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

Last edited by a moderator:

SpiderBelmont

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers - So amazing. And damn I love the music
  2. Dragon Quest XI S - Man this is so good also
  3. Sayonara Wild Hearts- Cool surprise and fun to play over and over.
  4. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Funny and cool bossfights
  5. Devil May Cry 5 - Really fun. I'm glad they made another one.
  6. Astral Chain
  7. Tetris 99
  8. Super Mario Maker 2

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Three Houses offers a complex narrative told across four campaigns, each enjoyable in their own right, all about watching watching fine young people grow up and die in a horrible war. It's also built on a rock solid foundation of time-tested strategy RPG mechanics, and greatly expands the social and customization aspects which were a highlight of the 3DS Fire Emblem games. Taken altogether, it's the best and most accessible game in the series, and one of the best Nintendo games of the past decade.
  2. Disco Elysium - Disco Elysium brought much-needed innovation to the CRPG genre, and represents where the genre should've gone after Planescape: Torment, in my opinion. Robert Kurvitz and the team at ZA/UM have set a new standard for RPG writing, as Disco feels like a true literary work in game form. Like a good novel, it puts you in the head of its protagonist, and each aspect of his personality are your party members.
  3. Death Stranding - Death Stranding is a AAA title with the heart of an indie game. Its unconventional narrative about a man delivering packages in a post-apocalyptic America and unique game mechanics lead to some of my most memorable gaming experiences of the year.
  4. The Outer Worlds - The Outer Worlds is a charming RPG with fun NPC interactions, cool weapons, and solid quest design. As a rival to Fallout, it delivers in all the ways Bethesda's games are lacking.
  5. Baba Is You - The most ingenious puzzle game I've played in a long time.
  6. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - I was a fan of the first Builders game, and the sequel is more of the same with some welcome new features.
  7. Tetris 99 - A downright tense and addicting battle royale that truly taught me how bad I actually am at Tetris.
  8. Untitled Goose Game - A honking good time, but rather short and shallow compared to the year's other great games.
  9. Apex Legends - I played Apex for awhile when it came out, and while I was pretty bad at it, I liked the ping system and all the ways it tried to improve the battle royale formula.
  10. Pokemon Sword/Shield - For all its faults, it's still a good experience, especially in portable mode.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
  1. Ace Combat 7 - It's like good old PS1/PS2 game in modern shell. And everything was perfect – gameplay, design, story, soundtrack.
  2. SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions - Quite unique JRPG with compelling story, which is a rare thing in these days.
  3. Catherine: Full Body - It was nice to revisit it again. Great mix of VN and puzzle game, more studios should copy this formula.
  4. Death Stranding - Meditative AAA game.
  5. Judgment - Yakuza spin-off that has a chance to evolve in something bigger. First entry was very promising.
  6. Afterparty - Good successor to Oxenfree.
  7. Wattam - It's definitely not the best Keita Takahashi's game, but still it was very charming and enjoyable.
  8. Control - Brutalism.
  9. Xeno Crisis - Basically modern Sega MD game, and anything like this always will be in my top list.
  10. AI: The Somnium Files - Enjoyable story, great cast.

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I didn't play this game until December, but I'm really glad I did. I was very much expecting to choose RE2 as my GOTY, but the moment I started Sekiro, I knew it was special. The combat, level design, and boss encounters were top notch, as is standard for FromSoftware, and beating a boss after hours of trial and error has never felt so satisfying. I expect to go through a few more NG+ playthroughs to get the platinum, and I'm absolutely looking forward to it.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - I finished RE2 20 times to get S+ on all scenarios. Then I did the Hunk mission, all of the Tofu missions, and the ghost survivors. That's how much I enjoyed this game. The modern re-imagining of one of my favorite games really did not disappoint. Unfortunately, it still had a few shortcomings, like poor boss fights and less than stellar maps later in the game, that pushed it out of my GOTY.
  3. Control - This game was a ton of fun, and the lore and world building were great. Gameplay was a highlight, and it felt a lot different from a lot of third person shooters as you mix up your abilities with gun play. Definitely a huge upgrade to Quantum Break, even though I actually enjoyed Remedy's previous game.
  4. Call of Duty Modern Warfare - Haven't played a COD game since maybe the first Black Ops. The campaign in MW was short and sweet, with the nighttime missions being the highlight. I played the MP briefly, but I didn't find it to have much staying power.
  5. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - I played this before Sekiro. I know I really shouldn't be comparing the two games, but it's hard not to. The exploration, jedi abilities, and combat were fun enough, but after playing Sekiro, using a lightsaber for some reason didn't feel like it had much impact and the level design got tedious with a lot of backtracking.

Other notable games I played this year: Gears 5 (I only played this for the campaign, but it felt like a such a drag for me), Spider-Man (2018 game, but this would have made my GOTY list), Ring Fit Adventure (still going through the game, and it definitely feels like a workout), and Bayonetta (going through my backlog, played the Switch version and had a ton of fun).

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Just when I thought I had experienced the coolest combat ever after finishing Bloodborne, FromSoftware drops this game on me. Being an older gamer, I'm at a point in my life where I want to be challenged. Sekiro gave me that and made me feel like badass freaking ninja while doing it. After finishing this game, I feel like no game can ever be too tough for me and by default I will always play games on at the very least the second to hardest difficulty.
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 135+ hours and counting. Currently in the middle of going through my second route and I'm still addicted. The characters just draw you in and you get so addicted to training them and building up support between the units that it's hard to stop. When I finish a session with this game I think "Ok, I'm getting burnt out", but after a few hours I'm right back to playing.
  3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Been a long time since I played a good single player Star Wars game. Enjoyed the story and thought it was a cool way to get a different point of view of the Jedi Purge. The lightsaber combat was great as was the use of the force. The game defintely was unpolished however and unfortunately it took away some from the experience. The final sequence of the game was outstanding though!
  4. Tetris 99 - Battle Royal Tetris? Who would have thought this could be so damn good? Another game that can suck you for longer than you anticipate. Perfect bite sized fun.
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Was my first time playing this and I can see why it's so loved. Very cute, endearing story. The Mario characters showing up was a bit weird, but the mix of 2D platforming was interesting.

Side Note:
I hate that I have had Remake 2 in my library for the past month and didn't get a chance to play it before the deadline. Unfortunately for it I decided to play FE first and it just keeps calling me man!

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - From Software delivers again with another classic game. Really fantastic combat, great art design, great level design, interesting story.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - A great remake of a classic re game. Keeps the feel of old re while modernizing it.
  3. Devil May Cry 5 - A fantastic return to form after the disappointing reboot DmC: Devil May Cry. Three playable characters that are all distinct and unique play styles. Great animations and movesets which lets the player be creative when fighting enemies.
  4. The Outer Worlds - A really fun rpg that draws similarities to the fallout series while being its own thing. Loses steam about halfway through but i still enjoyed my time with it. Excited to see what Obsidian does with a sequel now that they have MS funding them.
  5. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - A fun but clunky game. Respawn clearly borrowed from the Dark Souls series with bonfire mechanic and respawning enemies which for me had mixed results but in the end I had a fun enough time with and will patiently await a sequel hoping it irons out the chunkiness.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Mario Kart Tour - I would have never expected a F2P mobile game to be my GOTY but here we are. MK Tour has what is by far the best single player offering the series has ever had thanks to the refresh of content every two weeks alongside a brilliant new combo mechanic that keeps every race fresh. The multiplayer still has some kinks to work out and they should probably stop adding Mario and Peach alts, but hey - I've played it nearly every day since it released and I'm still not tired of it, which is more than I can say for any other mobile game... and more than I can say for most console games.

2. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - Impossible Lair serves as proof to all the haters that Playtonic is plenty talented when it comes to updating classic platformers. To be honest, I think they've even topped Retro's efforts at reviving DKC. As far as I'm concerned, this is the true DKC4.

3. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled - Despite Mario Kart topping my list this year, this game has easily become one of the best kart racers I've ever played. The gameplay has been tuned to perfection and the amount of free support has been insane - truly shocking coming from Activision of all companies.

4. Toejam & Earl: Back in the Groove - After many years of waiting, Humanature Studios finally delivered with the greatest ToeJam & Earl game anyone could have possibly asked for. They were so dedicated to the fans that they even took the feedback of weirdos like me who thought the game was a little too easy and added an Insane difficulty mode with tweaks specifically based on our suggestions. 10/10 fellas.

5. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - I'd never played an Igavania before, but Bloodstained made me a fan. The exploration and constant new special abilities made for an extremely fun experience throughout. I blasted through the story and I'm really looking forward to all of the free DLC they've promised.

6. MediEvil - Some might say this remake was a little too faithful, but it hit all the right notes for me. Everything you could have wanted in a visual overhaul of Medievil, plus an extra post-game side quest that unlocks the PS1 original. Short of completely redoing the game's mechanics, this is basically the best a remake could get.

7. Crackdown 3 - This is by far the most undeservedly maligned game of the year. I had no expectations for it so I guess I wasn't let down by any hype like others were, but ignoring the comically awful multiplayer, this was a seriously awesome open world game with tons of high-flying platforming, great combat, and a cool BOTW-like structure that lets you skip right to the end boss if you want (good luck doing it on your first run though).

8. Super Kirby Clash - As someone who skipped out on the original Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, this was quite a treat. Simple yet addicting combat, tons of Kirby fanservice in the bosses and gear, and the first ever online play in a Kirby game all made for a really great game, especially since you can just pay a flat $40 to remove all of the F2P elements.

9. ChuChu Rocket! Universe - I can't believe they actually revived a cult-classic series that even the most diehard Sega fan would have assumed was forever dead. A seriously great update that gives you all the familiar ChuChu Rocket elements you want while adding plenty of new mechanics. Here's hoping it gets ported to consoles sometimes this year.

10. Call of Duty: Mobile - This is mostly just on here because I can't think of a better option, but it's kind of shocking how good COD Mobile is. You have classic multiplayer, a battle royale, a co-op zombies mode, and they even throw in other random modes as limited time events (the madmen even put Prop Hunt in as a mode during the holidays. It's only a matter of time before they add Trouble in Terrorist Town). The battle pass is a decent value and nothing gameplay related costs money, it gets two thumbs up from me.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Sekiro was my Bloodborne. That's really the only way I can explain it. All of the fights felt tight and perfect and it did things with the existing From formula that made it feel new and exciting. Bring on Elden Ring.
  2. Control - I just hope there's sequences in a game in 2020 as memorable as the Ashtray Maze and the refrigerator and the mirrors and the videos and the references to past Remedy games and just...all of Control.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - The RE formula never gets old, and there's an argument that it never has been as better as it is here.
  4. Pokemon Sword/Shield - I know. The controversies. Dexit. Performance woes. We've all heard it. What I also know is I spent more time with this game than any other this year. What I know is that this was my favorite new roster of mons since Black/White. What I know is that I loved, loved the wild area, warts and all. And what I know is that there wasn't a time I spent playing a game this year that made me much happier is running the Raid Battles with the fine folks here those first couple of weeks. Yeah, this deserves a spot here.
  5. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Symphony of the Night is a very good game. This is that, with a bunch of great dumb shit added. I never expected this would escape its origins to become as good as it is.
  6. The Surge 2 - A game I've not seen get a lot of love but I fully expect to read LTTPs on in the future. I really loved the combat here and the exploration and just most of my time with this game man. Bosses kinda sucked tho.
  7. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Gooigi best new character 2019
  8. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - I'll be honest here; for the first bit I was pretty down on and disappointed with this game. I wanted more from the combat, I didn't care for the main character, etc. By the end of it however it had wormed its way on to this list somehow, despite itself. The exploration seemed to get better, the story vastly improved, and I started to get pretty immersed. Then, it was over. I left thinking that next time around Respawn could really knock it out of the park.
  9. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - Give this game the most improved sequel/spin-off award if nothing else. Some really enjoyable levels.
  10. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - This was my most played game and game of the year the previous year. I haven't made it all the way through the expansion yet but it's evident to see they somehow made it even better. So much content and if you love this game you know..it just never gets old.
Honorable mentions
Death Stranding- I definitely think this would be on my list (and probably high) if I had played more of it...but I couldn't in all conscience give it a place until I've played a lot more of it.
Remnant- Another game I need to spend more time with but I really liked what I played so far.
Ring Fit Adventure- It's a fitness game, and it's good. That's an achievement itself.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
1. Control - what if the x files were good?
2. Resident Evil 2 Remake - raccoon city is about to explode
3. Life is strange 2 - just to Hermanos growing up in this crazy world
4. Apex Legends - hobby grade hero shooter battle royale but it some how works
5. Plague tale innocence- what if last of us was hopeful and set in medievel France
6. Remnant from the ashes - who woulda thunk tps souls would be good?
7. Ring fit adventure- I'm getting my sexy back
8. Gears 5 - after the wet fart that was 4 a real return to form
9. State of decay 2 breakdown I'm a sucker for state of decay
10. Crash team racing nitro refueled - crash platformer are trash but the kart racing is pretty good

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Here are mine. I usually separate remasters/remakes from the new games on my GotY list, but for this year, I'll just put them all together since that seems to be how this year's thread is rolling. Also a couple were last-minute additions so I never wrote anything up and just dropped a couple quick sentences in there for them now!

the-legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-remake.jpg
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Of all the games I completed for the first time last year including the wholly new releases featured in this top ten, wonderful games I missed from previous years like The Witness and Gris, and other great remakes like Resident Evil 2 (the RCPD portion of that game is just top-notch) and Bowser's Inside Story, Links's Awakening is my absolute favorite. For years post-Twilight Princess, I groused about not having a new, fully-explorable overworld in Zelda. And then Breath of the Wild gave me exactly that… while at the same time completely dropping the ball on the dungeons. Link's Awakening brought me back to a time when one didn't come at the expense of the other. It has a compact-yet-dense, intelligently-designed overworld with lovable NPCs to interact with, secrets to find and side content to engage in. Just as fun as exploring Koholint Island is diving into its well-thought-out dungeons loaded with clever puzzles and unforgettable boss fights. Throw in a whimsical-yet-heartbreaking story and Link's Awakening has become one of my all-time favorite entries in one of my all-time favorite series. I had only played a small chunk of the original Gameboy release, but this new version was a great way to experience the classic title, with an adorable art style and some welcome quality-of-life upgrades. It's only marred by the sometimes shaky framerate, but that didn't put much of a damper on the best gaming experience I had in 2019.

control-13.jpg
  2. Control - This is a Remedy game through and through. Third-person shooter. Cinematic flair. Loads of atmosphere. A wild narrative with supernatural and science-fiction elements. Stunning visuals. Copious amounts of worthwhile lore to dig into. I loved it all so much. The combat is just a ton of fun, combining run-and-gun shooting action with lots of cool superpowers like telekinetic throws and levitation. The destruction on display in the frenzied combat encounters is a sight to behold. The story and world remind me fondly of my favorite sci-fi television series, Fringe and The X-Files, but with that very distinct Remedy feel to it as well. It's a universe I can't wait to dig into further via upcoming downloadable content. And it featured one of the most memorable cinematic setpieces in recent memory in the Ashtray Maze which combines many of the aforementioned elements with an added musical flourish for good measure. Control delivered across the board for me.

luigis-mansion-3-2.jpg

3. Luigi's Mansion 3 - I have a huge soft spot for the Luigi's Mansion series. Luigi is such a lovable protagonist and the charm levels on display are always through the roof. The franchise debut on the Switch is its best outing yet. It possesses the character and singular location of the original game while further building on the mechanical depth of Dark Moon. Of course, it brings some advantages of its own to the table. Chief among them is the sheer variety and creativity present in level themes. Luigi's Mansion 3 takes place in a towering hotel. While some areas are exactly what you'd imagine in such a setting — a hotel lobby, a level of suites, a fitness center — others go in wildly unexpected directions like the medieval area pictured above or my personal favorite: a floor where you explore an ancient Egyptian tomb. Level design is superb. Bosses are as memorable as they are plentiful. And the cutscenes featuring our favorite fraidy-cat-plumber-turned-ghost-hunter will keep you laughing throughout. I loved my time with Luigi's Mansion 3 and it is one of my very favorite exclusives on the Nintendo Switch to date.

yooka-laylee-and-the-impossible-lair-4.jpg
  4. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - I wanted to like Yooka-Laylee so bad. But despite my affection for the lead characters — Laylee seriously cracks me up with both her design and dialogue — the throwback platformer left me cold similar to the way its inspiration, Banjo-Kazooie, did many years ago. I am thrilled to say that I adored this unexpected follow up to the original YL that trades in that game's 3D collectathon style for that of a Donkey Kong Country-esque side-scrolling affair. On top of some exquisitely-designed 2D platforming levels, the Impossible Lair brings some innovation to the decades-old genre. It does so most notably through its Zelda-esque, top-down overworld map — which for my money is the best ever in a 2D platformer — but also via its uber-challenging final stage that rewards players that scooped up as many bees in the main game as possible. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is the must-play platformer of 2019.

katana-zero-3-1.jpg
  5. Katana Zero - From its pixel art graphics to its cyberpunk setting to its thumping, techno-infused soundtrack, Katana Zero absolutely oozes style at every turn. The story makes smart use of dialogue decisions to both explore the twisty nature of the narrative and add humor to the proceedings. From a gameplay perspective, it feels sort of like the action game equivalent of the single-screen, masocore platformer. As a master assassin, you'll run, jump and roll through each room, slicing down foes, deflecting bullets with your blade and flinging butcher's knives at baddies. But one stray bullet or mistimed counter is fatal. Luckily, you can quickly reset things upon death. Each room feels like a puzzle to solve and besting the trickier ones with lethal panache can be quite satisfying. It's an excellent new indie title marred only by the unfinished feeling I was left with after its abrupt ending. But that also adds to my yearning for a continuation of Katana Zero in the future. Here's to hoping there's more to come.

yoshis-crafted-world.jpg
  6. Yoshi's Crafted World - The adorable dino's latest romp takes him through a crafted world like that of a child's diorama. Constructed with all manner of milk cartons and paper towel rolls, yarn and felt and storage boxes, it makes for a lovely and cleverly-put-together backdrop. The level themes are diverse with some truly unexpected ones for the series popping up throughout the adventure. The gameplay features the usual mix of egg-tossing and flutter-jumping with some creative and awe-inspiring bosses to battle along the way. Many fans bemoan the fact that Yoshi games have never been able to match up to his first starring role in Yoshi's Island. But few platformers in any series have accomplished that feat and I believe Good Feel's last two entries in the series — Woolly and Crafted World — are the most worthy successors to Yoshi's SNES classic that the series has seen to date.

river-city-girls.jpg
  7. River City Girls - This is my favorite beat 'em up since Castle Crashers. Loved the sense of humor during cutscenes. Loved unlocking and trying out new moves and different characters. Loved the sprites and the soundtrack (especially the songs with lyrics). Had a blast with this.

bowsers-inside-story.png
  8. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey - I fell hard for the Mario & Luigi series when I played the Superstar Saga remake on 3DS a couple of years ago. It was the way it combined a Zelda-esque overworld – with its gear/ability-gating, fun exploration and clever puzzles – and added an active element to its turn-based combat system that really hit the spot for me. Not to mention its gut-busting sense of humor. Partners in Time was a solid follow-up and yet somehow managed to feel inferior in just about every major aspect of the series when compared to the original. I think where Bowser's Inside Story succeeds in a way PiT did not is by charting a more distinct path of its own. This most notably comes via Bowser's playable role and it's an absolute joy to see King Koopa take his turn in the spotlight here. And at the same time, one way in which it feels more like SS than Partners in Time helps too. That, of course, is the return of Fawful who has quickly become one of my all-time favorite villains. He makes me laugh every time he shows up on screen. All in all, Bowser's Inside Story was a very worthy follow-up to my beloved Superstar Saga.

bloodstained.jpg
  9. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - We seem to be absolutely inundated with Metroidvanias these days. You can't browse any page on a digital storefront without tripping over at least three indie titles in this vein. So, what would happen if we got a new entry in this subgenre from one of its forefathers? What could Koji "Iga" Igarashi – integral in the making of the seminal Symphony of the Night and director of many of its follow-ups – bring to the kind of game he helped to define some twenty-plus years ago? Enter Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Bloodstained doesn't stray far from Iga's original formula, but it does remind me of ways that many more recent Metroidvanias either don't follow or measure up to their inspiration. This comes most notably in the form of Bloodstained's more in-depth RPG elements (there's a slew of interesting weapon, magic and gear combos to choose from here) and its willingness to let players get lost (many a modern Metroidvania makes the path forward all too obvious or linear, forgetting that part of the appeal of these games is puzzling out your way forward). Bloodstained doesn't look to reinvent the wheel, but instead give us the spiritual successor to Iga's line of addictive Castlevania games and it does so with aplomb.

afterparty-4.jpg
  10. Afterparty - I love Night School's dialogue. Afterparty's scenario allows for one wild ride that takes some surprising twists and turns. It delves into some interesting themes and presents some thought-provoking moral dilemmas. It didn't quite match Oxenfree, but after these two games, I'l definitely be there for whatever the developer does next.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I have yet to play all the nice games that came out in 2019, IMO an incredible year for gaming of all types, but PSN said I played 89+ games (not counting PC GamePass and Steam) so that's good enough for me.
  1. Days Gone - My most played game this year and one of the most underrated games of the last decade. The gameplay is great (bike, scavenging stuff, upgrades, gunplay, movement, hordes etc), the story starts a bit clunky but gets really, really good later on, voice acting is mostly great, it has some of the best character development in a game ever (Deacon, Boozer and *spoilers*) and it's the best looking open world game too (amazing details and unparalleled weather system). Now Bend, convince everyone else with a sequel!
  2. DiRT Rally 2.0 - The best rally game ever *if you get the dlc*, smooth and slick, precise and good looking. The improved physics make it even more fun to drive than the original. It's also been my second most played game of the year.
  3. Lonely Mountains: Downhill - A very very nice surprise, arcade fun perfect (if that makes sense), pick up and play but retry forever, it has that "gnn just once more" feeling. It's also super pretty, atmospheric and stylish. A superb "git gud" experience.
  4. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled - I doubted the devs, the framerate and the overall road leading up to the release but WOW, it's pretty much the best possible remake of a game. Physics are almost identical to the original but maybe better, tracks were all masterfully recreated with passion and love just like the immense amount of (mostly awesome) new tracks and surprisingly awesome reprises from the not very good sequel. And they're still giving free tracks and karts every month as we speak.
  5. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - Oh boy, didn't see that one coming. I hate the first game with a passion (yeah, I kickstarted it) but this one is completely different... So it's very well done and fun! I'm having more fun with it than with Retro's DK games, it's very charming overall especially thanks to the map gameplay and superb soundtrack. Good job ex-Rare peeps.
  6. Resident Evil 2 - Another top tier remake of a top tier game. Nostalgia aside, pretty much everything is better than the original. It's pretty surreal to play this today after having experienced the original on day one. I remember being absolutely floored by the pre-rendered intros thinking games would never look that good during gameplay.
  7. Death Stranding - It's been on many lists so I kept DS from being in my top 4 but it's really awesome. Fresh, disturbing, weird and different, it's been a delight for me to play. Also, the soundtrack is insanely good and the sense of scale is unrivalled.
  8. A Plague Tale: Innocence - Year of the surprises, another superb new IP and a great game with a great story that doesn't rely on fighting and killing everyone.
  9. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - A metroidvania by the creator of metroidvanias and a soundtrack by Michiru Yamane, what could possibly go wrong? I kickstarted it and enjoyed every minute of it.
  10. The Messenger - (PS4) The best Ninja Gaiden game, period. Also, it can be played in Québecois, ah bin tabarnak!!
  11. No Man's Sky Beyond - The game that keeps on giving, the very definition of overdelivering. This game is fascinating.
  12. Arise: A Simple Story - Sadly, I only played the first 20 minutes but I had to include it in here, it seems beautiful, engaging and magical. It will also, probably, make me cry like a baby.

RedHand

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Control - Remedy's return to weird fiction is glorious. The Oldest House, the people and entities within it, the systems that underlie it, and the strange places that connect to it compose a fascinating narrative web the likes of which I haven't experienced in a game since Nier Automata. But it's not all about the narrative, of course, as Remedy supplies their best moment-to-moment gameplay structures ever. At times, you'll feel like a god, levitating over your enemies and raining bullets and debris down upon them. Other times, you'll feel all too human, peaking around from behind corners to take potshots. Very rarely do I feel the inclination to replay a 15+ hour game within a year of its release, but Control not only has an impressive narrative richness, but the confidence to let details slip by you; I'm certain there's plenty I missed, and I can't wait to go back and explore further.

2. The Outer Worlds - While it doesn't reach the narrative heights of New Vegas, The Outer Worlds is probably the best iteration on Bethesda's first-person shooter RPG formula overall. Dialogue choices frequently spark entertaining reactions and noticeable consequences, combat is really punchy for the genre, and some of the game's quests support a multitude of approaches that borders on immersive sim territory. Major props are also due for the impeccably written companion characters, especially Parvati, who serves as a shining beacon of heart and humanity in the midst of the game's cynicism and irony, and represents a marginalized group with empathy and tastefulness.

3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Sekiro is more directive than any other From game. It challenges you not to create a build that works for you, but to figure out which items and abilities within a fairly expansive build will give you the greatest advantage in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds. The white-knuckled puzzles that result make for some of the best showdowns in the Soulslike genre. Damn near every major boss in the game belongs in the From pantheon, with the final boss being perhaps the best they've ever crafted.

4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - I'm an unabashed Call of Duty stan. The core movement and shooting mechanics are my favorite of all the major FPS/TPS franchises, and while even I can't deny the series' cynical repetitiveness and lack of ambition from entry to entry, I dig those mechanics enough to want to dive back in during the last stretch of any given year. Blops 4 and WW2 housed those tried and true mechanics in some pretty hollow, uninspired structures; Modern Warfare, by contrast successfully takes the core shooting loop in some interesting new directions. The campaign—while politically disagreeable—has some fantastic moments, most of which (surprisingly) arrive when the game slows its pace. A pair of missions that explore one main character's past showcase the best in-game storytelling in the franchise's history. Surprisingly effective, too, are the missions that have you moving through cramped apartment buildings drenched in the hazy dark green of night vision goggles, waiting for a sudden burst of violence; despite the fact that pretty much every other moment in the game sees you doing objectively crazier shit, shooting a few people hiding in a house is made to feel like it has apocalyptic stakes.

The multiplayer rewards camping a bit too much, but the weapon progression system really sank its hooks into me. And as a massive fan of large-scale, clusterfuck-y multiplayer, this entry really hit the spot. Despite their lack of balance, there's a gleeful chaos and absurdity to the new Ground War and 10v10 TDM/Domination, and I hope the series continues supporting non-BR multiplayer modes of that scale.

5. Blasphemous - Sidescrolling Metroidvanias that use Souls-esque combat systems aren't novel at this point, but Blasphemous executes on this tried and true combo well, with some particularly snappy and satisfying combat. What makes this one far greater than the sum of its parts, however, is its soundtrack and its enthrallingly disgusting art direction. The Catholic horror of Cvstodia feels thoroughly explored and lived-in to a degree I mostly only see from studios like From and Arkane. A new, intricate, and unsettling spectacle is always just around the corner, and I couldn't help but indulge my morbid curiosity to see what was next.

Masmajora

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Incredible game, enjoyed everything about and after beating it the first time, it made me want to play it again immediately to see the other houses side of the story.
  2. Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers - Incredible story and incredible music. Shadowbringers might make 14 one of the best final fantasies, only held back by its mmo gameplay loop.
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I always enjoy the challenge that from games give me and the worlds they build.
  4. Devil May Cry 5 - Enjoyable game, nothing really new over DMC 4, but it was great to see the sons of Sparda story finally conclude.
  5. Resident Evil 2 - Amazing re imagining of RE2 and one of the best remakes ever.
  6. Astral Chain - Really fun combat, and enjoyed it being different from your classic platinum game.
  7. Super Mario Maker 2 - Probably the best plat-former ever thanks to the community creating excellent levels.
  8. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Was not expecting to enjoy this game as much as I did, respawn did a great job.
  9. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - One of my favorite games of all time, only this low because its a 1 to 1 remake.
  10. Pokemon Sword/Shield - Love Pokemon, I don't care if it doesn't change much, no one makes games like them and i enjoy its unique style of game design.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
My list is coming in pretty hot but I wanted to make sure I got it in this evening on the chance I forgot about it in the morning. 2019 was a great year from my perspective, only shame is the titles that are new additions to my backlog...

1. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - This year finally had me jump in on the Ace Combat franchise and what an education it was. Going from AC4 up through this newest installment had me aghast that I had slept on these games for so long. There is a great sense of progression in the series and it culminates in the incredible Ace Combat 7. The mission variety always kept my attention, near misses with the ground still had me cheering and clutching my HOTAS 10+ hours in and the presentation—the OST especially—was top-form. I'm pretty excited to see how the developers try and top this game in the future.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - A fantastic reimagining of one of the all-time greats.
  3. Gears 5 - The best shooting and encounters in the series along with some pretty exciting setpieces, but I was very pleased to also see it take time to let the world and characters breath more than previous games did. I really enjoyed those slower moments to help pace things out.
  4. HATCH - I went into this game thinking it would be a cool atmospheric game about climbing, and while it started that way, I was instead locked into a battle of wills as I struggled through challenging climbing. Finally summiting the tower was incredibly satisfying and had me so pumped I had to go and take my dog for a second walk that evening to settle down.
  5. Astral Chain - Some rough edges like a wonky camera, middling performance and some bad platforming, but the wonderful combat and delightfully serious-yet-cheesy tone carried the game. Combat did a great job keeping a lower-skilled player like me engaged from start to finish; I had a great time with it!
  6. CONTROL - Remedy's best lore and combat but I sorely missed the episodic linear pacing of their previous titles. The side content is an OK make-good at the very least!
  7. Devil May Cry 5 - DMC was another series I caught up on in 2019, going through all the games certainly had some low points but I felt it added a lot to going through this 5th game. Even if the character variety and depth is still a bit overwhelming I'm glad to finally see what folk love about these titles.
  8. Remnant: From the Ashes - I had a great time playing this with a friend via co-op. The coordination that some of the bosses required was infuriating, yet it was worth it to have that shared sigh of relief across the audio chat as my group succeeded.
  9. Creature in the Well - What a fantastically fun mix of genres! Not since Metroid Prime pinball have I had this much fun with pinball.
  10. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - The game certainly lived up to the promise of a new Igavania game thanks to a whole lot of things to do and explore, but I was disappointed that—even after waiting for month's of post-release updates—the game still had a lot of technical issues. Put a negative spin on a pretty great game.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Damn this game is so good. Love the new changes to the battle system, story is engaging, and the characters are yet again amazing. Black Eagles!
  2. Devil May Cry 5 - The King has returned to claim his throne. One of the best games in the series and one of the best action games ever made. The level of depth in the combat is absolutely insane!
  3. Bloodstaned: Symphony of the Night - I was actually shocked at how similar to Castlevania it is. I mean I know it's made by Igarashi, but still. But that is completely fine with me; it's brilliant and made me realize how much I missed Castlevania.
  4. Pokemon Sword/Shield - Okay, I know there was the whole National Dex fiasco, but honestly I wasn't really bothered about it. I don't play Pokemon every single release anymore, so this was a welcome return.
  5. Resident Evil 2 - As someone whose favorite RE is 4, 2 is made for me. It's a great way to relive a classic while modernizing the game, but keeping the feeling.
  6. Katana Zero - I didn't expect this game to make my list, but it turned out to be really awesome. It oozes with style (80's style) and I love the fast-paced gameplay.
  7. Gears 5 - Always been a big Gears fan and 5 is another good entry into the series. Multiplayer is still as great as ever, and the campaign is fun as well -- same with horde. Can't say I'm a fan of the new progression "season-styled" system though.

There are a lot of games I wanted to play in 2019, but simply did not get to them or didn't play them enough. That's why my list is looking slim. I hope to get to many this year!

Etter25

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 - This is RE at its peak. Takes the best aspects from all the different styles of Resident Evil and combines them to create a near-perfect horror experience.
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Top-tier strategy game that cares about its world and characters. All my favorite characters of 2019 were from this game.
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - This game is Miyazaki flexing his muscles. Only one weapon to use. No gear sets to wear. Everything centers around the tense combat.
  4. Devil May Cry 5 - Peerless combat that inspires improvisation and creativity. Level design is uninspired, but the gameplay is so good that it doesn't matter.
  5. Death Stranding - An ultra weird tour de force that showcases the best and worst of Kojima. Story is a mess, but the world and game mechanics create a zen-like atmosphere.
  6. Days Gone - An underappreciated game that has one of the most organic open worlds ever created. Story and characters elevate the game beyond any technical flaws.
  7. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Respawn blessed us with a good SW game. Combat and world design intelligently borrow from the Souls formula. Fantastic cast of characters.
  8. Shenmue 3 - An imperfect game that transported me back in time. It competently carries on the Shenmue legacy and demonstrates Suzuki's amazing attention to detail.
  9. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - The best 2D platformer since Tropical Freeze. The overworld design is a stroke of genius and the platforming is fun and precise.
  10. Control - This game thrives on the world-building environments and documents. Encounter design was at times repetitive but the various abilities kept it from becoming boring.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
  1. SaGa: Scarlet Grace: Ambitions - This might be my favorite game in the last decade. Extremely flexible & deep party-building mechanics, open-ended plot/structure, strategic & dynamic round-based combat, pop up art design & style is nice. A daring and innovative take on the genre, and exudes confidence in its design from start to finish.
  2. Disco Elysium
  3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  4. Etrian Odyssey Nexus
  5. GreedFall
  6. Persona Q 2: New Cinema Labyrinth
  7. The Outer Worlds
  8. Operencia: The Stolen Sun
  9. Kingdom Hearts III
  10. Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Ring Fit Adventure - Patrick Klepek summed up my feelings well. I love running, and it's easy to want to go for a run. However, I wanted to mix up my routine. That wasn't easy. RFA is an amazing package that has gotten me to start doing more, and I see this containing for quite some time.
  2. Sayonara Wild Hearts - A musical delight. As a big Simogo fan this did not disappoint. The game isn't long, but I've played it over and over...
  3. Super Mario Maker 2 - Infinite Mario levels, and some of the creativity blows me away. Story Mode alone made for a great Mario game.
  4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - My previous FE experience was the GameCube version. Which stressed me out. Since then I've played many more strategy games so I gave Three Houses another chance, and I'm glad I did.
  5. Astral Chain - The combat took some getting used to, but I ended up really enjoying the game. Even the slower investigation sections. Just not the terrible jumping sequences.
  6. AI: The Somnium Files- I'm not really a VN fan, but I quite enjoyed the Zero Escape series so I figured I'd give this a try. AI leans more towards visual novel than ZE, but the story and characters sucked me in. I'll be sure to keep an eye on future Uchikoshi games.
  7. Apex Legends - I got into PUBG for a bit, but I'm not a big battle royale fan. Then Apex came along with an amazing shooting core and the neat ping system. This was a battle royale that actually felt good to play.
  8. Baba is You - Broke my brain...
  9. Manifold Garden - Best Escher-like puzzle game since Antichamber
  10. Mutazione - Basically a walking simulator, in a soap opera. Which is an apt description. I played for hours talking to everyone I could as the story unfolded.
  11. ChuChu Rocket! Universe - Great to see ChuChu make a return. I just wish the multiplayer, the heart and soul of ChuChu, had people playing.
  12. Tangle Tower - A great adventure/mystery game with some cool puzzles. Though it needed a better ending.

Game I didn't play yet that I could see making my list: Outer Wilds
Game that would have made my list if not for bugs that cost me my game save twice: Guildlings
Best Shakespearean singing: Astrologaster
Funniest Game: Trover Saves the Universe
Best 2017 game I first played in 2019: Cuphead
Best 2018 game I first played in 2019: Return of Obra Dinn

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Disco Elysium- This is everything I didn't know I wanted. I loved how everything was resolved in dialogue branches. The story was sharply written and I love games willing to indulge in leftist politics, even if I do not fully agree. The ending will stick w/ me for a while as well. Plus it had the best partner in a game.
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses- Had lowish expectations after disliking Awakening and Fate (didn't even finish this one). So when I heard from vets who were disappointed with prior titles loving this, I was hopeful. And hot damn, it delivered hard. On my second playthrough and it still brings so much joy.
  3. Ring Fit Adventure- Excellent exercise game to utilize when I feel too lazy to hit the gym or run.
  4. Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers - Best MMO expansion I have played.
  5. Outer Worlds- I love Obsidian RPGs.
  6. Apex Legends- Such a great PUBG type game to play with my friends back home. Easy to learn and gets rid of the stuff I hated from Fortnite (building).

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Sayonara Wild Hearts
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  3. Dragon Quest Builders II
  4. Resident Evil 2
  5. Cadence of Hyrule
  6. A Plague Tale: Innocence
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  8. Afterparty
  9. Slay The Spire
  10. Concrete Genie
A lot of the games I played this year did not come out in 2019 so I missed out on some big releases this year and plan on getting to them in 2020. My list isn't exactly ordered since I find it difficult to rank games against each other, but SWH was the game that left the biggest impact on me this year and would definitely put it at the top of my list.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
  1. Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers - One of the greatest Final Fantasy experiences to date. The story, the characters, the new world and content were A+. My favorite MMO expansion of all time and possibly my favorite FF ever as well.
  2. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - Im only now playing it on PC but I already have over 200 hours in it already. So much content and so many great additions to the game. I haven't played this much Monster Hunter since 3U on Wii U. I can't get enough of it
  3. Luigi's Mansion 3 - My favorite of the 3 games. The best looking game on the Switch, incredibly fun gameplay and fun puzzles. The portrait ghosts are all so great and charismatic and Im glad they returned.
  4. Devil May Cry 5 - Best character action game ever made. I only wish the environments weren't so boring.
  5. Shovel Knight: King of Cards - The conclusion to the Shovel Knight saga. It has all the things you love about the base game and other expansions with an expanded map, a nice puzzle card game, and really fun gameplay ideas tailor made for King Knight. Shovel Knight is my favorite indie game of the decade and KoC is the perfect conclusion.
  6. Kingdom Hearts 3 - I have my problems with how the story is pretty much only present at the very end of the game, but its still the second best game in the franchise (nothing tops 2). Great music, beautiful graphics, and gameplay that puts the series back on the right path make it one of my favorites of the year.
  7. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - I put over 80 hours into this game. It fixes so much of the first games problems and its just a joy to play.
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - This is a comfort game for me. A really faithful recreation of the original with beautiful graphics and gameplay tweaks, namely not having to go to your menu to equip stuff like the bracelet every other second, really makes it the definitive way to play the game for me.
  9. Cadence of Hyrule - These folks know how to make a rhythm game, and the fact that they got to make one out of Zelda is crazy cool, and they nailed it. The remixes are incredibly good and its fun all throughout.
  10. Pokemon Sword/Shield - I have SERIOUS issues with Pokemon SwSh. Its kinda ugly, its the easiest game yet, and the game was so obviously rushed and the story is nonsensical and incomplete. That being said I have like 100 hours in the game. The new Pokemon are probably my favorite batch since Gen 5. Outstanding designs all around and I just really enjoyed collecting Pokemon this time around. Im really looking forward to the expansions.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
  1. Fire Emblem Three Houses - I very rarely finish games these days, and Three Houses was engaging enough for me to do just that, which is why it's my personal game of the year.
  2. Ring Fit Adventure - Honestly, this is the best combination of a workout tool and engaging RPG I've ever played, and I highly recommend anyone with a Switch and a desire to be more fit to check it out.
  3. Slay the Spire - Easily the best rogue-lite I've played this year, and arguably the best deck builder I've ever played.
  4. Tetris 99 - I'm not really one for puzzle games usually, but the battle royal aspect makes this really compelling for me.
  5. Cadence of Hyrule - Fun rhythm-based game with an excellent soundtrack
  6. Pokémon Sword/Shield - I generally don't pay too much attention to hype or drama of games before they release, and I personally found it to be a good time. I'm also extremely Pokémon-biased.
  7. Super Mario Maker 2 - Having theoretically infinite content and a good single-player campaign makes this a pretty good 2D platformer option
  8. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order - A fun romp, especially if you're a fan of the Marvel comics
  9. Steamworld Quest: Hand of Gilgamesh - While not on Slay the Spire's level for me, still a very good deck builder game.
  10. Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution - If you like playing Yu-Gi-Oh, this is a great way to play it.

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - Loved everything about it, the landscapes were beautiful and the sense of isolation in the game really stuck a chord with me. The final mission was quite emotional as well, really liked the game.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I went into Sekiro not having played a souls game before. My main reason for wanting to try it was because it reminded me a lot of Tenchu. After having played it I have an itching to try out the souls games now. Such a great game and really made me feel rewarded when I eventually overcame a fight that I would be stuck on for a long time.
  3. Devil May Cry 5 - Having never played a DMC game before (a theme for me this year) I really liked how the game required a learning of its mechanics to truly play it properly and get really good combo scores. Makes me want to try out more character action games
  4. Resident Evil 2 - This was a great way to start off the year for me, a really polished remake, I may have even loved it more than my first playthrough of the original game. Really glad that they will be remaking Nemesis as well.
  5. Cadence of Hyrule - I impulse bought this after seeing it being played on the treehouse (and it being Zelda themed) and was pleasantly surprised. I loved the idea of playing a zelda game to a rhythm, Really wasn't expecting what I got out of this.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I've been a big FE fan since Awakening and I had fairly high hopes for this. It met all of them and more. It has great characters, a decent story, a lot of replay value, and innovated more than I could imagine. Easily my favorite game of the year.
  2. Resident Evil 2: Remake - I never played the original but this game is amazing. Leon, Claire, Ada, it's all so good and it's super fun to boot.
  3. Kingdom Hearts III - The game I've been dreaming about since I was 13 finally came to fruition! It was flashy, maybe a tad too easy, but playing this filled me with such nostalgia and happiness that I couldn't really complain.
  4. Pokemon Sword and Shield - Despite all the controversy, had a lot of fun with it.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'll drop my top games here, and add to the list if I find time before the deadline.

1. Death Stranding - The very last thing I expected Death Stranding to be was a total blast to play, with moving themes that are made concrete by all the fun stuff you're doing.
  2. Devil May Cry 5 - Devil May Cry is back, baby, and it's glorious!
  3. Astral Chain - Platinum does it again. An original twist on their classic action combat formula, this stylish cybercop action game lets you control two characters at once. The combat is so damn good, and I really enjoyed the variety of content. Platinum took a page from NieR: Automata and broke up the action with RPG-ish sidequests and conversation. It works. I'm going to return to this game throughout the year to hunt down all of the secret items and hidden missions, and play through the generous post-game content.

Full comments on GOTY picks:

Death Stranding - This game took me completely by surprise. I knew two things before I played it: 1) The gameplay looked kind of tedious on purpose, to make some sort of thematic point, I guessed and 2) a new world born out of Kojima's weirdness is worth the effort to see.

Well, I was half right, and totally wrong.

The very last thing I expected Death Stranding to be was a total blast to play, with moving themes that are made concrete by all the fun stuff you're doing. The basic gameplay loop is simple: You run through the world delivering packages to remote outposts, while avoiding enemies and corrosive rain. You connect these outposts to a futuristic internet. Each connection opens up more deliveries, and lets you build more and better tools for completing them. Some tools are for combat, some for traversal. Each connected area also fills up with structures and vehicles that other players have made. Progress becomes a cooperative enterprise.

This might still sound kind of dull, but the sense of progression is phenomenal. You start by stumbling around on foot, trying not to break all of your packages as you use basic tools like ladders and climbing ropes to struggle through the terrain. You make a few deliveries, and suddenly you've got zippy electric bikes. You can build generators to recharge them, or use the ones that other players made. You can build huge bridges to span rivers and rocky fissures, then rebuild roads that stretch for miles. Soon, you have turbo-boosting trucks that let you transport huge volumes of material. Powered exoskeltons that let you lift heavy or run fast. Ziplines that rocket you over rocky or enemy-infested areas, up hills, down cliffs, across flooded chasms. Not to mention your bola guns, remote-activated shock grenades, and decoy packages filled with knockout gas.

Before you know it, you've created a full infrastructure and turned the wilds into your playground. You can handle yourself against any enemy. You're helping other players with dropped cargo and benefiting from their vehicles and structures. You've found the most fun, interesting, and efficient ways to get from one outpost to the next.

That's the gameplay component. I didn't even touch on the classic Kojima weirdness woven throughout Death Stranding, but it's wonderful. There's loads of sci-fi weirdness. Plenty of bittersweet reflection on life, death, and culture. Delightful cameos. An especially muscular Norman Reedus. An especially Hannibal-ish Mads Mikkelsen. Moody music. Charming details, like the faces you can make in the mirror for your transdimensional enemy-detecting baby pal, or the ways you drink your energy drinks, or Norman's reactions when you linger on him with the camera.

I could go on for much longer about the splendid gameplay and presentation, but the brilliance of Death Stranding is this: the game is a powerful ode to human connection, one that sneaks up on you with its themes as you work through story-driven tasks as a delivery guy. You're in a post-apocalyptic USA, and the country is a ruin. Fractured and scattered, full of survivalists who are out for themselves. Then there's you: Sam Bridges. You go door to door, delivering the necessities of survival, and the comforts that brighten difficult lives. You connect people to the network, and as the network grows, the people thrive and you increase your ability to forge these connections with a vast and varied toolbox. You're bringing a fractured nation together, with your own two hands.

Devil May Cry 5 - Devil May Cry is back, baby, and it's glorious! It took ten years, but Capcom finally gave DMC4 the sequel it deserved. I won't go on at length here. It's enough to say that the gameplay is better than ever, the music rocks, and the story is full of great touches that are meaningful to longtime players of the series. DMC5 is a love letter to the fans, from top to bottom. It's packed with returning enemies, requested features, and fan-favorite gameplay elements from past DMC titles. It's both deeper and more accessible than prior games. It even spins gold out the straw of Ninja Theory's ill-fated reboot, just like DMC3 salvaged good ideas from DMC2.

In a great year for action game fans, Devil May Cry 5 is surely the crown jewel.

I'll give an honorable mention to Sekiro.

I don't want to tilt the poll in its favor by adding any points. I believe the game has serious technical and design flaws that make it far less user friendly than it should have been. However, Sekiro pretty much took over my life for a month, as I came close to 100%ing it. After getting the Return ending, I watched days of speed runs by great players.

I love the way Sekiro looks and sounds. I love the simple but effective story, the side characters, and their connections with one another. Sekiro truly has a well realized world.

It is not, however, a well designed action game. The massive hitstun and blockstun, combined with the well documented input lag of the console versions, almost ruined the combat for me. I was also terribly frustrated by how I was penalized for normal trial and error. Losing money and xp every time you're killed, in a game that is guaranteed to kill you a lot, is not fun. Lastly, I'm not a fan of oppressive gameplay limitations in my action games. Sekiro's combat options are heavily restricted by a few factors, including very limited slots for combat moves, and a tiny ammo pool shared by most of your secondary attack mechanics.

There's a fantastic game buried in Sekiro. Perhaps, with the right mods, we'll play it someday. In its current form, Sekiro is far from the best game of 2019.

MochaD124

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Outer Wilds- Outer Wilds was built up for months for me before I finally played it and it lived up to my expectations in every way. Combing through the secrets of your solar system gave an incredible sense of discovery that I couldn't get enough of. Each of the planets has their own unique thing going on and I was frequently in a state of pure wonderment and awe at the stunning visuals. The music plays a big part in building the impact of each discovery and I love listening to select tracks so I can remember the emotional weight different moments had.

The story of what happened to the Nomai and the fate of yourself and others across the universe was tremendously tragic and I remember the shock and sadness I felt when I explored the Sun Station and Dark Bramble in particular. The game gave me so many memorable moments during my time, and the fact it was all wrapped up in non-linear storytelling with 22 min loops made it even more impactful.

I was moved to tears many times throughout the ending sequence and the games message of staying strong in the face of complete hopelessness hit me all the way to my core. We all die eventually and given enough time we will completely fade from all memory - that doesn't mean that our lives have no meaning or value. There is so much beauty to be had and shared despite what life throws at us and getting to experience even a tiny bit of that is worth the effort.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I went into Sekiro expecting the same disappointment I had with Bloodborne but found From knocked it out of the park by making a very non-souls game. In Bloodborne it felt like they tried to speed the combat but were too shackled with normal Souls gameplay. Most boss fights revolved into dodging for a long time then mashing r1 until the boss resets which made the recovery mechanic feel useless. With Sekiro they give you all the options you need to counter and respond to your enemy while keeping up with the breakneck speed of combat. Fighting later bosses made me feel like I was in an interactive sword fighting movie where I was constantly deflecting and countering attacks I had memorized. Finally dealing the final death blow on the sword saint literally made me shout out after losing at least three dozen times.

I'm still not a fan of From's obsession with multi-stage bosses and almost quit in the final boss multiple times. I really hope Elden Ring goes back to a more methodical Dark Souls approach to the combat because they just keep asking more and more of the player and eventually, I am not going to be willing to give it. In some fights I would be very concentrated and tense for upwards of 10 mins and making one slip because I couldn't remember the counter to one attack that only shows up in the last few mins. I felt mentally drained when I finally beat the sword saint and I am not surprised many people dropped the game there.

I still need to go back and beat Demon of Hatred and I know that at the very least I will feel like I accomplished something when I can finally overcome it.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - I wasn't immediately sold on the original RE2 when I played it, mainly due to being spoiled after playing the remake of RE1 and missing the revamped presentation. RE2Make addressed most of my issues and gave me a newfound love of the game. Learning my way around the police station was incredible and I loved clearing rooms to clear them on the map. When I got to my route b playthrough the police station felt like home and I could make my way through it without any challenges.

The sewers kind of drag the game down but you aren't there long enough to ruin the experience. The two routes could have had more to differentiate them, but I wasn't mad to have another reason to go back through the game and miss eight 5 more headshots in a row on a single zombie.
  4. Devil May Cry 5 - DMCV was a dream to play when you got in the rhythm of combat as Dante and Nero. Consistently knocking out combos and dancing around enemies for S ranks will never not be satisfying and the game is guaranteed to be high on my list for that alone. The campaign feels like a journey of improving your skills and then constantly getting the chance to show them off and feel like a stylish badass the whole time. I will love getting the chance to come back to the game when I have the time just to chase higher ranks and play around in the bloody palace.

Playing as V was usually a chore that involved building up the bar for nightmare then just spamming as you run in circles which always got me triple s ranks for some reason. The enemy and location variety are sorely lacking, and I wasn't feeling the hype buildup for the final boss fight like I was in DMC3.

Getting combos with dual motorcycles as weapons will never be old.
  5. Remnant: From the Ashes - Remnant was very much an out of left field kind of game the name may be terrible but the souls-inspired gameplay conventions coupled with fantastic shooting and hit-responses from enemies made me very addicted for a month or so.

I appreciated that the devs chose to focus on unique loot rather than chasing gear score and I spent way too much time re-rolling zones to get the items I wanted. Adding in a Dark Souls 2 (Best Souls don't @ me) bonfire ascetic option for every level was a fantastic addition and I probably spent more hours running adventures than the main game.

The main unique feature that sets Remnant apart from other souls-adjacent games, bosses being mostly random every roll, was nice at first but became one of the reasons I got tired of the game and stopped once I beat the final boss once. Putting an hour into an adventure trying to get both kills on the main boss of a zone only to find out you have to re-roll again gets very tiresome. Getting new resources to continuously upgrade my gear was a good incentive at first but I quickly lost steam when the main progress I was making was levelling up one or two items every half hour.

Overall I loved most of the 50+ hours I put into this and can't wait to see what the devs do next. They did a great job with the lore in the game and I would like to see a more fleshed out level generator that can make the random levels a bit more interesting.
  6. The Outer Worlds - I was very hyped for The Outer Worlds up to launch and the opening hours of the game didn't disappoint. However, once I started advancing past Groundbreaker and got sucked into the quagmire of Monarch my enthusiasm quickly slipped into feeling like I just wanted to finish the game before I hated it. The combat wasn't any help because of how easy it got after the first 5 or 6 hours. Every combat encounter played out mostly the same where I would dip in and out of cover with my plasma rifle before blowing enemies up with squad abilities. The awful loot gave me even less reason to engage with the combat when I would just get a few bits, the same weapons and armor, and/or some junk that turns into a few bits.

The game is saved by the different members of your crew (Parvati is perfection) and their sidequests are better than most of the other quests in the game. The slow reveal of the crisis about to explode on the colony and its reveal on Byzantium were a highlight but nothing after your major choice on Edgewater really left an impression until then. The slow burn nature really hampered my interest, especially on Monarch where you get overloaded with side quests and I felt like I was spinning my wheels just trying to clear checklists. The game picks up in the final few hours but I felt the game could have been cut a lot shorter or the dev time for Monarch should have been spread out.
  7. Sayonara Wild Hearts - Sayonara Wild Hearts succeeded on music alone for me. I frequently listen to the collection outside of the game and I still get the same emotional response every time I do. The gameplay was entirely secondary for me, but I never got bored due to how often they were willing to completely change things up. There were a handful of levels that dragged and failed to get me into the rhythm of the music and gameplay but they would always cruise by due to the short length of the game.

I will likely never replay SWH but it would definitely be on the short list of games I would love to experience for the first time again just so I can be blown away by the music and style once more.
  8. Valfaris - I was all the way in on Valfaris the moment the title screen loaded and I was blasted with the fantastic heavy metal style and music. Managing to struggle my way through each level gave me a huge sense of satisfaction especially with later boss fights where I was barely scraping out the win.

The weapon progression was extremely well-paced, and the action never felt like it was dragging on. While some levels felt a little excessive with respawning enemies it was very easy to forget about the bad stretches when the game is drip feeding you new spectacles every 45 mins. Getting through a zone and reaching a new checkpoint felt like an achievement and I had tons of fun blasting my way through it all.
  9. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint - Breakpoint was a late addition to my list, but I am enjoying the gameplay loop enough so far to get it on my list. The game reminds me of my time with AC Origins in a good way and I love sneaking up to an outpost before scoping out enemy territory before slaughtering my way through it. Getting a kit full of different gear and gadget options gave me real MGSV vibes and I love when all the pieces fall together to make you feel like a tier one agent.

The gear score is a very mediocre addition and I wish the story was being a bit more critical with itself and the subject matter. I will continue playing this past GOTY season and hope it can give me more of the top quality Ubi open-world formula I love.
  10. Untitled Goose Game - Goose game immediately sucked me in with its charm and how great of a job they did modelling everything about the goose itself. Strutting around the various levels and smashing that honk button never got old especially when you successfully stole something then mocked a villager with honking as you flapped your wings.

I got very tired of the gameplay after the first couple of levels and many of the puzzle solutions required you to be in a very specific spot in a brief enough time frame to make them very frustrating to solve. Worth playing just for the HONK alone.

Favorite old game of the year: Hollow Knight - Probably the greatest metroidvania I have ever played and I can't wait for Silksong.
Favorite 2019 game I will play in 2020: Control - I have heard so many good things about Control from people I agree with on games but I can't justify paying $50+ on a game that will have horrible performanc on my base ps4. New consoles couldn't come soon enough!

Odoru

Oct 25, 2017
2019 was one of those years where it felt like it would be a weaker year but ended up with a ton of really strong games. My wife and I dealing with pregnancy and the birth of our first child led to not as much time for games, with some bigger ones falling through the cracks(I'll get to Control, Disco Elysium, and RE2 someday) but these were my favorites for the year none the less!

1. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers - I thought Heavensward and Stormblood were both solid expansions but this is easily my favorite one yet. This was the first one where the story actually hooked me, with only a few sections of quests that felt like filler to boot. The trust system added an interesting dynamic to story dungeons, making it fun to go through solo and see the party banter. The villain is well written, with a highly satisfying dungeon and final fight at the end. That's to say nothing of the always amazing Soken music with tracks that stand among some of the best in the series.
    On a personal level, to say my life has been impacted by this MMO would be an understatement. The daily conversations and interactions with the large community in the era discord, to all of the friends made along the way. To meeting my wonderful wife in the FFXIV era free company five years ago, and now the birth of our daughter this past September; it's been an amazing ride with this game, capped with the expansion being my GOTY for 2019.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Memorable boss fights, the feelings of progression and accomplishment, and figuring out the various secrets with a group of friends made this one of my favorite gaming experiences of 2019. The Genichiro fight might be one of my favorite bosses of the last decade, serving as a perfect tutorial to how you're expected to play the game yet still being an extremely visceral and blood pumping boss fight.
  3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Probably my favorite of the localized Fire Emblem games since The Blazing Blade. It's an incredibly meaty game(120+ hours and I still have two more paths to do) and the story while not the most well written thing in the world is interesting enough, with some solid character stories pushing it along. The game sometimes feels like it took a step back in a few areas (pacing, combat) but it's incredibly ambitious, and as a sum of its parts it's an outstanding package.
  4. Death Stranding - I was so ready to dislike this game but it ended up really clicking with me. The story is interesting even at its worst and the actual gameplay of just traversing the world, working together with other players, and delivering packages was strangely enthralling. My biggest takeaway is I'm glad it exists in a world with not many off the wall, crazy AAA games. It's a game that I totally understand and nod along when I hear or read the complaints, but I just really enjoyed after the last few somewhat disappointing Kojima outings. Also playing through this while holding and/or rocking a real life baby is a trip!
  5. SaGa: Scarlet Grace: Ambitions - Up until this one I had never played a SaGa game, but after seeing some of the lofty praise both on era and from friends, I decided to give it a go. 40 hours later with such an outstanding combat system, soundtrack, and world I can't wait to go back to it later this year and play it again with a different protagonist. Just an incredibly memorable game!
  6. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Castlevania is one of my favorite series, from the older entries to the SotN and on era, so I was really excited to get a game that is one of those in everything but the name. I had a few technical issues on the PS4, and the Switch port was laughably bad at launch, but otherwise Igarashi delivered and I hope he does another!
  7. Luigi's Mansion 3 - A really charming and fun addition to this series. The hotel having such varied locations kept it from dragging, with some great set pieces and boss fights. It would have been higher on my list if not for the controls, which never clicked with me throughout, but it's a testament to the rest of the game that I still really enjoyed my time with it.
  8. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - A massive expansion to one of my favorite games of 2018, which I put a bunch of time into on PS4 and have now double dipped for PC. Theres not much more to say, its more MHW and its great.
  9. Katana Zero - A really fun action game with a unique presentation that kind of reminded me of Hotline Miami in some ways. Unfortunately it ends right as its really hitting its stride; hopefully we get a sequel someday.
  10. Slay the Spire - I've been hesitant to start this, as I've heard how great it was since its time in early access; and I love card games, from low budget mobile ones to hearthstone. On a whim I loaded it up last week on the Switch and I was right to fear it, as I haven't put it down much since. It's a really well designed roguelike card game, with some interesting twists on the genre. I'm going to cheat and put it at #10 since I haven't put that much time into it, but if I had it would probably be higher.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Mortal Kombat 11 - Netherrealms make a fitting conclusion to the reboot series of Mortal Kombat with a great story and fun as ever game play. That's enough in what is somewhat of a down year for Video Games.
  2. Amid Evil
  3. Judgment
  4. Resident Evil 2
  5. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  6. The Outer Worlds
  7. Devil May Cry 5
  8. Control
  9. Gears 5
  10. Ion Fury

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
  1. Death Stranding - A unique game in the AAA gaming space. I did not think I would enjoy the simple task of delivery packages so much. Hope there will be more big budget games in the future that strays from the norm.
  2. Gears 5 - The best Gears of War campaign in a while. The addition of a larger map in Act 2 and 3 was something that I found to be a lot fun.
  3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - The first decent single player Star Wars game in a long time. It borrows a lot from other games and doesn't do them as well, but in the end I did enjoy the game.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My list isn't exactly ordered since I find it difficult to rank games against each other, but SWH was the game that left the biggest impact on me this year and would definitely put it at the top of my list.

According to the rules in the OP, you need to add a comment to at least one of the games on your list. Also, whether you intend it or not, your list is ordered and points will be awarded as such. That is kinda the point of this thread.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Slay the Spire - It's surprising deck building roguelikes weren't a thing sooner (hindsight is 20/20 I guess!). It's a great subgenre, and Slay the Spire is currently its king.
  2. They Are Billions - They Are Billions takes my favorite mission type in RTS campaigns (survival "hold out as long as you can" style missions) and builds it out into a full amazing game. The funny thing is the game has been playable in early access for a while now. They christened 1.0 by adding a campaign... but it's just kinda meh. It doesn't actually matter since the core game is great, but there's something ironic about the thing they added to make the game eligible for Resetera's GOTY voting is probably best ignored.
  3. Void Bastards - A interesting hybrid of roguelike and immersive sim. I usually don't dig roguelikes with elements which persist from run to run, but for some indescribable reason, it worked just fine here.
  4. Fantasy Strike - I think is the best example of zero barrier to entry fighting game that's been made so far. I'm not sure there's enough to it to keep people playing for years and years, but it might be the most fun simple fighting game that still feels definitively like a fighting game.
  5. Dicey Dungeons - I've been waiting forever for Terry Cavanagh's next game. VVVVVV was fantastic and I count Super Hexagon among my favorite games of all time. Dicey Dungeons is very much a roguelike deckbuilder in the same vein as Slay the Spire... and the game's biggest issue is that it's just not quite as good as that game and it came out afterward (though in terms of presentation, Dicey Dungeons bests it pretty handily).
  6. Disco Elysium - not normally my kind of game, but the general atmosphere and insane dialog options were really enjoyable.
  7. Baba is You - very smart game that I'm too dumb to fully explore, but the concept is brilliant.

Other random thoughts for the year:
  • I had high hopes for Katana Zero as Hotline Miami successor but the game didn't do a whole lot for me.
  • I still need to try more Black Future '88, but I'm just not going to have enough time before voting concludes.
  • I've never played a From game before and decided to dip my toe in with Sekiro... and I couldn't really understand why people like these games. It felt like I was just standing and waiting to react to specific things enemies did, there was little to no improvisation, and the game was mostly about rote memorization. Maybe I'm missing something?
  • I haven't bothered with the Epic Games Store yet, so I have yet to play several 2019 games I'm interested in (Outer Worlds, Outer Wilds, and Control).
  • I haven't grabbed Plunge yet, but it looks cool.
  • 10 games has always seemed like a crazy number to pick for these lists. Do 5 or even 3. Make people make hard choices!

Chrixter

Oct 29, 2017
  1. Super Mario Maker 2 - I had more fun and spent more time with the sequel to my GOTG than any other 2019 release.
  2. Missed Messages - The shortest game on my list managed to deliver the most moving gaming experience I had in 2019.
  3. AI: The Somnium Files - Kotaro Uchikoshi bounces back with a story full of exciting twists and varied moods.
  4. Control - The most enjoyable combat, impressive visuals, and interesting setting of any 2019 game I played.
  5. Resident Evil 2 - I was previously only a fan of RE4, but I was hooked by this remake and have high hopes for RE3.
  6. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - The stealth, traversal, and storytelling are what I appreciated most.
  7. Kind Words - A beautiful concept that brought me more closely in touch with my sense of humanity.
  8. Pokemon Sword/Shield - Responsible for my longest play session of the year; at the end of the day, I still love Pokémon.
  9. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Vacuuming up everything I could find was a constant stream of dopamine.
  10. Untitled Goose Game - Indulging in this game's mischief made me genuinely laugh out loud.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I had been anticipating Three Houses ever since it was announced, and it lived up to my expectations. Even though the game's route splits were not executed all that well, it delivered where it mattered. The world-building, characters, and cutscenes are all beautifully done and engaging. I really thought that Battalions were well thought out, and Gambits are super important on Maddening Difficulty. The units themselves can be developed with many different builds. It's really just a damn fun game.

Three Houses basically dominated my gaming time in 2019, so I didn't play much else. Pokemon Sword/Shield was the other 2019 release that I purchased, and I played 20 hours of it. That game was a disappointment, thus not worthy of any GotY points.

abdrs

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Excellent start to finish. My favorite FE game.
  2. Slay the Spire - No other game had me glued to my couch as this one did. Addictively fun, yet frustratingly challenging.
  3. Control - The style and presentation of this game are top-notch. The core game is also great.
  4. The Outer Wilds - Unparalleled sense of exploration and discovery. This game deserves more recognition.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - This game is the whole package. An incredible story with fun gameplay backed by a wonderful soundtrack. It's biggest achievement is its excellent cast of characters that you can't help but fall in love with.
  2. Pokemon Sword & Shield - This game did many things wrong but it nailed the important things. Wild Areas are addictive and it's the most fun I've had battling in a very long time.
  3. Kingdom Hearts 3 - While it fell short of my expectations, I still had a great time with Sora and the gang.
  4. Astral Chain - Absolutely loved the combat system, art direction and that banging soundtrack.

Oct 29, 2017
Well, I was just 1 game away from completing my writeup and my browser crashed :( so I'm just going to post this again with very brief descriptions of each game, sorry mods.
p.png

1. Control - A masterpiece for fans of the genre. My recommendation is to go into this game with as little info as you can beforehand -- trust me.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - It deserves all of the accolades it gets. I hope future Souls games get some difficulty and design tips from this.
  3. Worldend Syndrome - Excellent story! A must for VN fans.
  4. Pokémon Sword/Shield - My most played game of the year (>500 hours).
  5. Control - It warms my heart to see Nintendo taking into account what we, the fans, want.
  6. Greedfall - Bioware's soul goes on. Thank you, Spiders.
  7. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - As much as I like to shit on this game for being different, I enjoyed my time with it a lot if I'm honest.
  8. Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodo Ryunosuke no Boken - Thanks to the fanslation team for allowing us to play this in English. Can't wait for the translation on the 2nd one!
  9. Ring Fit Adventure - Still going strong after 30 hours.
  10. The Walking Dead: The Final Season - A fitting end to the franchise and to my list.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Outer Wilds - Once I got into the ship and started flying around the solar system I was hooked. Going around to each celestial body and discovering the secrets there was a joy, talking with your fellow explorers and slowly uncovering the mystery at the core of the game. Getting wrapped into it, figuring out the steps where to go next each time, and at other times just meandering around cause there's always something neat. It's so good, and the amazing finale caps it off so well. Great music, including specific cues you really get to know, and a nice art style that really fits. It''s so fucking good, I played it when it launched on Game Pass and seeing more people discover it over the year was such a treat.
  2. Control - A close second for me, Control did all the right things for me for a narrative shooter. Solid shooting that expertly mixes in powers (flying around and swapping between telekinesis and a shotgun feels so good). The story is X-Files meets Twin Peaks meets the SCP Foundation, and Jesse playing the new boss discovering the mundane insanity of the world was great. Really looking forward to the Alan Wake expansion, I still can't believe that is happening.
  3. The Outer Worlds - Fallout gameplay meets Mass Effect companions and worlds, made by Obsidian. Exploring the dystopic future capitalism settings, solving problems big and small as you influence the fate of the colony. It drags a bit on Monarch (by far the longest world), but overall it's such a great experience.
  4. Judgment - Mixing Yakuza with detective elements and featuring new protagonist lawyer-turned-private investigator Yagami, you explore Kamurocho and slowly uncover the mystery of a serial killer on the loose. This was my game from RGG and it was a treat.
  5. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - A new metroidvania by the man behind Symphony, this was a lot of fun. I nearly dropped it after a really poorly-placed boss room (which made it super annoying to leave and restock on healing items for a tough boss), but I'm glad I kept with it. By the end of it you are really mobile, and once you really dig into the crafting the options to play as you like really flow well. The shard system is neat, though grinding for specific ones can be annoying due to drop rates, and they each have multiple different things to level up. Overall definitely recommended.
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - I never played the original so I was looking forward to this. Aside from the framerate being weirdly inconsistent (oscillating between 30 and 60, but it's never unplayable), it's a joy to use. It's not doing anything wildly new, but it's really solid.
  7. Pokemon Sword/Shield - Some tech issues aside, this was a lot of fun. One of my favorite parts of new Pokemon games is to build a team of new pokemon, so discovering a new slate of them here was great. The shift of the gym challenge into like a sports league was a brilliant update that helped keep things fresh. This was a lot of fun.
  8. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan - From the makers of Until Dawn, this is the first in an anthology series in that style. Set on an abandoned boat, the people boarding start experiencing terrifying visions. It plays smoother than UD and looks great, but the story feels weaker overall (I loved UD's twists and epic feeling). Definitely a decent start, and I'm curious to play Little Hope.
  9. Life is Strange 2 - When a racist dick picks on young Daniel and his older brother Sean gets into a fight defending him, a cop gets trigger happy and kills their father, causing Daniel's latent telekinesis to explode, killing the cop and forcing the brothers to run, hoping to cross into Mexico to their father's childhood home and start a new life. Along the way they come to terms with what happened, grow closer with each other, making friends and dealing with challenges along the way. Exploring the relationship between the brothers as they grow as people along their journey, Sean trying to protect and guide, Daniel growing up too quickly and trying to find a new path for himself. It's a wonderful experience that was I sad to see end, and ending that was bittersweet and heartbreaking but felt right for my playthrough.
  10. Luigi's Mansion 3 - I'd never played a Luigi's Mansion before and from all accounts this was the one to start with. This was really solid, with diverse levels and a bunch of varied ghosts, but the controls were awful. The right stick points the vacuum with Luigi being kinda tanky, and the alternate option isn't any better.

Honorable mentions:
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood - Taking the Wolfenstein style but shifting it into a co-op formula with a combat puzzle closer to Destiny's solar/void/arc trinity was a really neat way to take this. It's didn't entirely work (I was never quite clear on what types were good or bad to use), but I'd love it if MachineGames added parts of these changes into the next proper game.
  • Afterparty - From the team behind Oxenfree, you play as a pair of best friends who find themselves in Hell and have to win a drinking contest with Satan to get back home. The gameplay is super similar, while adding on the drinking mechanic that allows customization of a dialogue choice based on what you drink. It had some framerate issues that were pretty distracting, but not unplayable in the end. The game lives and dies by the quality of the writing, and overall it works. The voice work is also really solid.
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I got up to the first proper boss (Oniwa) and gave up cause I can't parry for shit, but I love the style of the game and plan to try again on pc at some point.
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I only started this recently so I didn't put it on, but from I've played I rather like the combat and there's a huge cast to get to know. Garreg Mach is dauntingly big but I'll get used to it. The only knock against it is the terrible text size when in portable mode, it's nearly unplayable and so tough on the eyes.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
The only important vote on my list is number 1 but I will rank the rest of the games that tried to be as good after it to follow this list rules.

1. Final Fantasy VIII Remaster - Making an amazing game even better. Gorgeous updated character and enemy models, boosters added to make the game accessible to all and even more fun to replay(more than I already do), PS1 soundtrack returning after the disaster that is the PC version not using it and other neat little updates made this my GOTY. It's so good I played it on every platform except Xbox and that is only because I don't own one.
  2. Final Fantasy Shadowbringers - Amazing expansion and by far the best released. I was hooked from the moment the early entry began and could not stop playing. I've never been more into an MMO story than I was with this expansion and the additional systems such as solo dungeon runs and new class Gunbreaker made this an amazing experience.
  3. Resident Evil 2 Remake - I love RE2 and was happy with how the Remake turned out. Some of the extra gore was a bit hard to handle but overall I was happy with how the horror elements were there.
  4. Pokemon Sword and Shield - I had a lot of fun with Shield. I enjoyed the Wild Area being so open and the gym theme is fantastic. The game does feel rushed towards the end but I was enjoying my time with the game that it didn't bother me.
  5. Sayonara Wild Hearts - Gorgeous visuals and music. I don't usually play fast paced arcade games like this but that didn't stop me from really loving the style and gameplay.
  6. Fire Emblem Three Houses - I didn't love this game but I didn't play that many new games this year so when ranking the ones I did I guess this would make the top 10. I did have fun with the gameplay but the academy systems was weak and never felt worth exploring. The routes also are organized oddly which makes the story feel off if you pick specific routes to start with. I love SRPG's so at least it still was great to play.
  7. Kingdom Hearts III - I didn't love it but I did enjoy certain worlds quite a bit and the gameplay was still flashy and fun.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Control - Even though the game ran like garbage on the base PS4, I enjoyed every minute of my time with Control. I loved the setting and the obvious X-Files and Twin Peaks inspiration, and I loved the powers-based gameplay. I'm not an achievement hunter, but Control was my second platinum trophy because I just couldn't get enough.
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I've been a fan of Fire Emblem since the GBA entries started coming West, but I never actually finished any of the games. I would always hit a point in the campaigns where I would fall off due to interest in playing other games. Three Houses' second half drags, but I loved the characters throughout, and my investment in my class and students made me finally see a Fire Emblem to its conclusion. I doubt I'll ever return to play the other routes, but I enjoyed my time with Three Houses immensely. Golden Deer represent!
  3. Sekiro - I've accepted that I'll never finish Sekiro. I hit a certain late game boss right around the time I began moving, and when I finally came back to it months later, I realized that beating this boss was going to a monumental uphill battle due to lost muscle memory. I may never end up finishing this game, but it was one of my favourite gaming experiences of 2019.
  4. Resident Evil 2 Remake - I've only really ever played Resident Evil 4 (which I have played numerous times) due to not being a huge fan of the original RE's gameplay, so when I heard they were remaking RE2 in a more modern style I was excited to finally get to experience RE2 in some capacity. While I have no nostalgia for the original, the game absolutely blew me away.
  5. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Luigi's Mansion is a technical marvel on the Switch, and the game just oozes personality and charm. It's not exactly what I wanted out of a Luigi's Mansion sequel, as my biggest gripe with the game is the linearity of the hotel's floors. I would've liked the hotel to have more Metroidvania-esque exploration, rather than each floor being basically a self-contained level. Despite that, I really enjoyed how clever the puzzles where.
  6. Ace Combat 7 - I was a huge fan of Ace Combat 4/5/Zero on PS2, and Ace Combat 7 brought me to those days. I don't think this game hits the same highs as those games, but if the next instalment takes cues from the DLC missions, I think we have a lot to look forward to in Ace Combat 8.
  7. Baba is You - Baba is You is an insanely clever game. Its simple mechanics are deceivingly deep and complex. Baba for You was both a relaxing stress reliever as well as a frustrating and stressful game. When you finally solve a puzzle you've been banging your head on for what seems like forever it's like you're the smartest person in the world (besides the developer).
  8. Judgement - I'm not very far into Judgement at the time of writing, so it could eventually end up higher on my list after the fact. I've been looking for an opportunity to jump back into the Yakuza games after loving Yakuza 2 on the PS2. The long wait for localizations of future entries in the series, plus the time commitment required for these games eventually put me off of from picking up any of the Yakuza sequels. Judgement being it's own story within Kamurocho, with a different protagonist, helped draw me into Judgement. While the combat is repetitive, I've been finding the story and characters extremely engaging. It's also made me pretty excited for Yakuza 7 and its new direction for the Yakuza series.
  9. Astral Chain - Astral Chain isn't perfect, but it has a lot of style and charm. The combat is classic Platinum, but like the Wonderful 101, has some pretty interesting mechanics that separate it from other character-action games. It may not be in the upper echelon of Platinum's pantheon, but it has cool ideas that I would love to see fleshed out in a sequel.
  10. Super Mario Maker 2 - More Mario Maker, what else needs to be said? Like a lot of people, I felt the time between significant updates was a little too long, which resulted in me falling off the game, but in the time I spent with it I had a blast making new levels and experimenting with the new objects and features. I hope there's a couple more interesting updates planned for the game, as that might be enough to pull me back in.

Captain_Cold

Oct 30, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - A Kojima-ass Hideo Kojima game, but one that surprised me nonetheless. The story was bonkers but it kinda made sense in the end, you know? As someone who was a huge MGS fan, but was disappointed with the direction taken with Peace Walker and MGS V, I was a little skeptical of what a Hideo Kojima game meant in 2019. I was afraid the open world would be boring like MGS V, or that it was really just walking/carrying shit simulator with odd trappings, or that the story and cinematics would be long-winded and semi non-sensical... and you know what? Well, actually all those things are true. But it was just so damn satisfying zip-lining around delivering shit while a baby giggles from my controller!
  2. Control - At a glance this one looked like another generic mid-tier action game, so it wasn't really on my radar until I heard it was SCP-inspired. That, along with word of mouth made me decide to give it a shot. So glad I did because the setting is just so cool, with some fun lore and a few awesome set-pieces. By the end you feel like more of a Jedi than the actual Star Wars game that came out. Or maybe you feel like Neo in the matrix? Or Agent Dale Cooper from Twin Peaks? It is a Remedy game after all, and for my money, their best.
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - From's best since Bloodeborne. Bloodeborne made me realize I preferred a more streamlined approach to the Souls formula than the actual Souls games, as they stripped out a lot of the RPG elements, limiting the number of weapons and the result was a tighter feeling game overall. That approach is even more focused with Sekiro, and it's the tightest From game yet. With just the one weapon to design around, and placing emphasis on posture and parrying mechanics, they ended up with the best designed bosses yet, not to mention enemies in general. It's also the fastest-paced game of its ilk, with more vertical traversal mechanics evoking the Tenchu games as well. If not for Bloodeborne, I would say it's From's best.
  4. Resident Evil 2 - Nearly perfect, Capcom couldn't have done a better job remaking this classic. I honestly probably enjoyed my time with this one more than any other this year, and I'm only not ranking this higher because 1) recency bias and 2) it is a remake after all, and I've played the original countless times. Still, can't wait for 3make, especially since I'm not quite so familiar with the original source material as this one.
  5. Luigi's Mansion 3 - We had such fun with this one. The presentation is amazing, and the puzzle mechanics sometime quite clever. I played this by myself and had a smile on my face for most of the playthrough. Then my 4 year old niece came over and she thought it was the greatest thing ever, especially once we unlocked Gooigi. The co-op in this one is an absolute blast, especially with young loved ones.
  6. Slay the Spire - I know this came out in 2017 in early access, but I didn't try it until it came out for Switch this year. Each character has different Cards and play styles, but each is incredibly well designed. It super addictive and really has that "just one more run" thing going for it. The time really evaporates while you're playing this game, where suddenly you look at the clock it's 5 in the morning, but you just don't care because it's so good. I wish the 4th character would come out for Switch already!
  7. Judgement - Another year another Yakuza game. Wait, it's not a Yakuza game? It has detective mechanics and maybe even some Ace Attorney style stuff? Well, not really. All of the detective stuff is fairly simple but it lends itself to a slick presentation and intriguing story. The detective dressing allows the yakuza team to frame the typical game components in fun ways, where substories become "cases" and many involve meeting with clients at the detective agency or the old law firm and gathering clues.
  8. Apex Legends - According to Sony it's my most played game this year. I messed around some with Fortnite and PUBG, but none of them ever really grabbed me. This one just had the right feel, and came out at the right time that it was pretty much all I played for some months. No regrets.
  9. Shenmue III - Admittedly I had low expectations for this. I was just happy it existed. I thought Shenmue I was the greatest shit ever that Christmas when I got it for Dreamcast. Then when we didn't get Shenmue II I went out of my way to obtain the European version. I thought it was the greatest shit ever as well. It was just so impressive how you could talk to everyone and they all had some contextual, voiced response based on what you were doing at the time. And the scale! You could go in so many shops. Well the years went on I gradually lost hope that there would ever be another and now lo and behold here it is. But it had to be Kickstarted, and made on a fraction of the budget of the original games, and its creators haven't worked on games in years. It's going to be pared down and and scaled back, with only a handful of fleshed out characters, right? Actually, no. It's really fucking Shenmue! There are hundreds of characters, tons of shops, jobs you can do, minigames to play, etc. It's a damn good Shenmue game. I couldn't be happier with it honestly. Sure, it's not really up to some 2019 standards, but I don't care. I bought 3 copies and would buy 3 more so long as we get Shenmue IV.
  10. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order - A little bit of jank in the combat and some bugs here and there are the only things holding this back. It has a fun story and some neat stuff for Star Wars lore hounds. I enjoyed the game's souls-like structure (one of 3 this year along with Sekiro and Control), and I really liked a few of the set pieces, especially the ending. Overall a really satisfying game, probably the best Star Wars game, and a good base for future Star Wars games to build on. Also, Respawn with 2 on the list. Nice job!

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Apex Legends - I have never played a shooter where every movement felt this perfect. 150 hours later, each drop onto the map still feels like a rush of something new. This game got me into watching esports and even got me into upgrading my controller with paddles. I'm so happy for Respawn to get the recognition that they deserve with this game, and I hope it means good things for the future of the Titanfall franchise.
  2. Observation
  3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  4. The Outer Worlds
  5. Control
  6. Sayonara Wild Hearts
  7. What the Golf
  8. Kingdoms Hearts 3
  9. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  10. Pokémon Sword

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 - As someone who was initially concerned that the lack of fixed camera angles would make this too actiony, the limited ammo, tight corridors, and fantastically well-tuned and well-balanced aiming system (where you can literally see the reticule increase focus as you stop moving and hold it over a target) were a relief. I'm very impressed with how well Capcom preserved the spirit of RE2 while still keeping things fresh. (I still prefer the original, but this complements it nicely)
    0pUCXTO.png
  2. Devil May Cry 5 - Combat's as good as ever, for Nero and Dante at least (and it certainly helps that Nero's battle theme is so cheesy in the best possible way). While I appreciate that they made sure V's moveset is distinct, the indirect nature of his fighting style makes it feel more disconnected and less weighty.
    YtYT837.png
  3. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - A welcome return to form after...whatever weird auto-tracking experiment Assault Horizon was supposed to be. I liked the mission variety (though perhaps a bit too many of those "get x points in the allotted time" missions) and the use of cloud cover added a neat twist to the formula. Probably my second favorite entry (after AC5) now. And as you'd expect from this series, another great soundtrack.
    Owb7FDv.png
  4. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled - A nice meaty single-player campaign, with lots of race modes and tracks, though sometimes there's some noticeable AI rubberbanding and difficulty spikes (particularly with the third and fourth bosses, where you pretty much have to get in front of them immediately if you want to win), even on Medium.
    hY5Bokq.png

Mr. Patch

Nov 9, 2017
  1. Astral Chain - A nice spin on the fast past action games Platinum is known for. The game really shines once you get used to controlling two characters at once while switching between Legions to fit the situation.
  2. Control - What can I say, I like flinging bodies down hallways.
  3. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled - This game can be so fast once you become more skilled. Chaining boosts together is so satisfying.
  4. Devil May Cry 5 - Once you learn how to chain your moves together, you start learning how to straight up bully enemies. And the game rewards you by making the music get more intense to help you get in that zone for crazy combos.
  5. Kingdom Hearts 3 - You may be overpowered, but it feels good to be overpowered with the movement and spectacle of the combat.
  6. Apex Legends - The game that got me off Fortnite. I love how fast and fluid the movement feels.
  7. Pokemon Sword - The Wild Area is something I want to see more of in future Pokemon titles. I spent way more time just catching Pokemon than I have in previous games in the series.
  8. Team Sonic Racing - The team mechanics help this game separate itself from other kart racers. If you have friends to play with, it's easier to learn how you and your teammates are supposed to play off each other in order to give your squad the best possible chance to win.
  9. Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes - The core of the game is a simple hack and slash, but the different skill chips and level gimmicks help add a little variety. The game has great characters and the story is told through cool text adventure segments.
  10. Katana Zero - This game is really intense. Your reflexes will be tested as you try to slash your way through everybody. And it has a dope gritty neon style.

Status
Not open for further replies.