• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
  1. Death Stranding - Maybe not ever have I seen a titles ability to marry its themes to it's core gameplay loop so strongly. Death Stranging is a game about planning for everything, adapting on the fly, and forming connections. The addictive gameplay and interesting multiplayer mechanics are also bolstered by a stunning soundtrack and fantastic art direction. Another high mark is the voice acting and mo-cap performances, Kojima does a great job highlighting some fantastic acting on the parts of nearly every character in the game. While I won't go into spoilers, the game builds its odd and over the top narrative in a surprisingly simple way, and weighs a lot of that on the connections and trust Sam forms with the people he meets, his trusty BB, and eventually himself. While its gameplay might not tickle everyones fancy, I clocked in 80 hours and found it a pleasurable, fascinating, and heartfelt time. Death Stranding is something special.

2. Sayonara Wild Hearts - Much like Tetris Effect before it, Sayonara Wild Hearts is wave after wave of stimulation. The game constantly shifts in different directions and different game genres, going from autorunner to bullet-hell shooter to rhythem game to even more, acting almost like a love letter to various other games, being driven by its killer soundtrack and sheer brazenness. A game that manages to explode with confidence and yet still feel deeply personal, a game that tells a very relatable story with few words, Sayonara Wild Hearts is a thrill ride I would happily take over and over again.

3. Hypnospace Outlaw - Not just a love letter/hilarious examination of the early internet, Hypnospace Outlaw is a mirror reflecting a twisted version of our own past back towards us. Almost at times feeling like a surrealist nightmare of Anglefire crossed with Fark.com, it's a strange and wonderful examination of both people, personalities, and the early roots of social media. Wonderful as both parody and condemnation of the internet as a whole.

4. Resident Evil 2 - ReMake 2 is a great mixture of elements from nearly all of Capcoms RE mainstays, but mostly; Resident Evil 7, Revelations 2, and Resident Evil 2 original. Polished to a mirror sheen, Resident Evil 2 is a revisit on one of the most beloved games in Capcom's library, and while I don't think it's a perfect transition from old to new, I still adore it and replay it even to this day. Locations lovingly recreated, updated mechanics, and new ways to crank up the tension make this an essential for any fan of the RE series.

5. Judgment - An original story in the Yakuza universe, Judgment is slightly clichéd and majorly impressive. Set once again in the streets of Kamurocho, you take the role of a lawyer turned private eye, set on solving not only mysteries in the present, but ones that also haunt him from the past. Filled to the brim with fantastic writing and memorable characters, the breath of content crammed into such a thoroughly explored setting is astounding.

6. Control - Surreal and beautiful, Control nails a very specific aesthetic, one of impossible space and censored writings, that of SCP and The Twilight Zone. It's a space you want to explore because it's one you know you're not supposed to be able to. Control is a near perfect distillation of everything Remedy is, from mixed-media to intense third-person shootouts.

7. Tetris 99 - Tetris is almost always good, and Tetris 99 is good. Somehow finding a way to turn up the tension of a game of Tetris up even more, battling it out against 98 other players in a bid to be the best tetromino stacker is fun, fast, and exhilarating.

8. Baba is You - (Baba is You)[is](clever). (Baba is You)[is](challenging). (Baba is You)[is](creative)[and](astounding). (Fat4all)[is](dumb)[and](win).

9. Tangle Tower - The third game in the Detective Grimoire series, Tangle Tower is a fun, straight forward murder mystery game with great twists and turns, and beautiful artstyle and characters, and some wonderful writing and voice acting. Every line is voiced, and you'll want to hear it too. Lots to uncover and find out, while the game is a touch short it packs a lot of fun whodunit goodness into the time it has.

10. Days Gone - Bend Studios first big push onto the PS4 has a few rough edges, but in my eyes resulted in a unique and interesting open world game that's both fun to explore as well as interesting to just watch shift around you. Days Gone puts a lot of weight on its more subtle moments, and to that effect I feel it works well, keeping a lot of the characters main motivations in the back of your mind as you make your way around the beautifully detailed state of Oregon.

Left on the cutting room floor: Ring Fit Adventure, Sekiro, Grindstone, Untitled Goose Game, Crash Team Racing, Observation, DMCV, Remnant: From the Ashes.

the 10 spot was a fight between days gone and sekiro, and my heart had to... Bend.

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinkypunk

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Will edit with better rationale later.
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - #1 pick
  2. Death Stranding - #2 pick
  3. Mythgard - #3 pick
  4. Call of Duty Modern Warfare - #4 pick
  5. Apex Legends - #5 pick
  6. Slay the Spire - #6 pick
  7. Tetris Effect - #7 pick
Dishonourable mention - Worst Games of the Year
> Days Gone - Buggy, janky nightmare of a game. Thankfully I traded it in for full value within a week. Dodged a bullet there.
> Devil May Cry 5 - Controls like a soapbox. Can't even force myself to finish it. Such a shame.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
And yes. That is the full name of Cadence of Hyrule.
actually i think its Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda - Let Us Beat Together • Final Chapter Prologue *For Matching Service (featuring Dampe from the Devil May Dig series)

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Return of the Obra Dinn - I heard amazing things about this game when it came out on PC a few years ago, and it came out at the perfect time. I played this whole thing in one sitting on my Switch Lite and it was my favorite gaming experience of the year from a game that released in 2019. I love the visuals, I love the music and sound effects, I love how it presents it's story. It's a pretty simple plot but the game gets so much mileage out of it through how it chooses when to reveal each aspect, and from what viewpoint. Only complaint I have is that near the end it's a little too easy to guess who is who, but otherwise I really really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. Just great stuff.
    1.jpeg

2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Dark Souls and Bloodborne are two of my favorite games of all time, so I wasn't surprised when I loved Sekiro as well. It doesn't nail what it was trying to do, but I appreciate that it stepped a little bit outside of Miyazaki's comfort zone. I think I would like it better if I hadn't already played Dark Souls and Bloodborne. The combat is really fun to learn, but from the time I stopped playing side weapons weren't really viable and it was just a matter of memorizing the boss patterns. I think it did a lot without betraying the Japanese aesthetic.
    https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ferikkain%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F07%2FSekiro-5.jpg

3. Baba is You - I'm not smart enough for this game but it's the entire package. Unique and clever puzzles. More than enough levels to keep you satisfied. Baba is very cute. I don't think it has any downsides, I just enjoyed it a little less because I'm too dumb.

4. Resident Evil 2 - I really enjoyed this game at launch, and I still think it's something special, but I've cooled on it a little bit. I think it looks amazing visually and it's a wonderful direction to take the series after 5/6 and even VII. But the music is a little worse and I think it's arguably a step down compared to the PSX game as opposed to the original REmake which just blew your mind on how much better it was than the PSX game.
    resident-evil-2-ps4-smartcdkeys-cheap-cd-key-4-800x450.jpg

5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - This game is all about the memes, baby. I think I enjoyed the discussion around this game and the memes it gave more than the actual game itself. The story is a huge step up from the 3DS entries, but I think it stalls a lot in the second half. That being said it's pretty ambitious for a Fire Emblem game, and I love almost all of the characters.
    maxresdefault.jpg

6. Devil May Cry 5 - Capcom's back! This normally isn't my type of game, and it's my first Devil May Cry game, but it's hard not to feel the passion pouring into this game from every aspect. Nero is probably my favorite character in a video game that released in 2019, his theme is probably my favorite piece of video game music that released in 2019, and the ending gave me all the best anime vibes.
    001-cdcaa.jpg

7. Untitled Goose Game - A cute game. You can blow through it really quickly but there's a ton of replay value. There's nothing wrong with being a cute little game, it's well worth the time investment.
    Parkin-UntitledGooseGame.jpg

8. DRAGON QUEST II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line - This was a pleasant surprise. I loved DRAGON QUEST on mobile last year, but I stayed away from the sequel because people had a lot of bad things to say about it. I really like how the game handles your party. Your characters have a place in the world (unlike DQIII), but they don't bog you down with a bunch of boring bs that you don't care about (like DQXI). This game does a very interesting thing where it seems to be messing with your expectations from the original Dragon Quest, and it seems to purposefully piss you off and punish you for things you couldn't possibly have known about. I think DQII in particular is the best looking of the Switch rereleases. Especially when you get closer to the end of the game enemies start looking really cool, and the final boss is one of my favorite video game monster designs. I felt super accomplished when I finally killed that dude.
    DQClassic.png

9. DRAGON QUEST - This is mostly interchangeable with DQII, I ultimately placed it lower because I've played through DRAGON QUEST before and some of the sprites in this game (looking at you, Green Dragon) actually look really bad. This is one of the all time great RPGs as far as I'm concerned. I like how you're just a dude with cool armor who needs to just go on his own to save the world.
    switch-dragonquest1-03-1568643548319.jpg

10. Pokemon Sword/Shield - This game is a huge disappointment, but I had a lot of fun with it and the designs of the new Pokemon are amazing.
    1574158361866.gif

I didn't play a lot of new games this year. I did the 52 Games challenge so I was mostly focused on old games I could get for cheap, which included a lot of Game Boy and Castlevania games. Most of the "new" games I played were Switch ports because the Switch Lite is A M A Z I N G.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about this line,
DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers is eligible. Horse Armor is not.
How would you recommend voting for Smash's fighter pass?

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
  1. Metro Exodus - The Metro series of games has always been one of my favourites. And Exodus takes thing to the next level, Adding in an open world and keeping the tense choice laden themes of the past. Visually amazing to look at especially with the ray tracing enabled. And the best game play in the series.
  2. Control - Control is a fun game, I am a huge fan of Remedy and they continue to make amazing games. Visually stunning and once again a wonderful showcase for ray tracing.
  3. The Outer Worlds - A tighter fallout? yes thank you. I love obsidian's work and they show Bethesda how it is possible to make a fallout style rpg without the insane amount of bugs. Shorter but much tighter than the fallout games, wonderful writing a cool world of planets to explore and some of the best companions in a game yet.
  4. Disco Elysium - some of the best writing in a game ever. I really enjoyed this game so much and the choices you make and the amount of dice checks is so great. Play Disco.
  5. A Plague Tale: Innocence - Game came out of nowhere for me and blew me away, I have played multiple times, one of the most beautiful games and the story is great, The game falters a bit at the end in my opinion otherwise it would be even higher on my list.
  6. Observation - Wonderful sci fi, very stylish and really cool playing an AI in a game.
  7. Outer Wilds - This game is amazing, The sense of exploration it gives you and every time you pick it up you are learning more about the world and putting things together. This game is amazing, the sense of explor..............
  8. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - This game blew me away I didn't expect much from it especially after the first few times game play was shown but wow it was so good. Super fun and beautiful.
  9. Deliver Us The Moon - Another amazing Sci fi game, Tacoma meets Syberia.
  10. Eliza - Zachtronics always make engaging games, but there first time at a narrative driven visual novel was an awesome surprise just how great it turned out.
  11. Resident Evil 2
  12. Day's Gone
  13. Neo Cab
  14. Life Is Strange 2
  15. Night Call
  16. Devil May Cry 5
  17. Bloodstained: RotN
  18. The Occupation
  19. Heaven's Vault
  20. 198X

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Three Houses, similar to Awakening and Fates, is a character-building game at its core. The fundamental problem with both Awakening and Fates, however, is that the character writing (while decent in Awakening), was nowhere near as strong enough to hold up the experience, and as such, those two games fell apart completely. Three Houses, on the other hand, has the best character writing in the series by far, and as such, the whole experience is able to come together as a rare game that is greater than the sum of its parts. Almost every character have many layers, nuances and personality quirks such that as I discovered more of them, my opinion on each character changed dramatically over the course of the game. Hell, Three Houses managed to present a nuanced, very well-written fanservice character, and a nuanced depiction of a religious institution. What modern JRPG does those? It can count itself up there with Xenoblade Chronicles and Path of Radiance as one of the best Nintendo RPGs of all time. Oh, and Edelgard did everything wrong.
  2. Devil May Cry 5 - "Why is DMCV on this list? You hated Mario Odyssey for having terrible level design, so why does Capcom get a free pass?" I'll admit, DMCV is somewhat like Mario Odyssey in that its mechanics far outstrip its level design. On the other hand, DMCV's combat is polished to an absolute sheen. It has so many options, looks so stylish as you do it, is easy to pick up for newcomers, yet so immensely difficult to master, that it ends up being a remarkable experience in spite of all its flaws. Add to this an amazing presentation in every aspect - artstyle and presentation included, and what you get is the best character action game of all time.
  3. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Luigi's Mansion 3>Mario Odyssey. There, I said it. It has Mario Odyssey's sheer creativity, but it also has the brilliant level design of the Galaxy games and 3D World, resulting in some incredibly inventive puzzle-solving. Adding to this is a brilliant repertoire of bosses that iterate on and test each function of Luigi's Poltergust G-00 just as well as the puzzles do. Luigi's Mansion 3 is the game that Mario Odyssey wished it was.
  4. Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition - Yes, that's what the spreadsheet shows it as. Anyways, I can't believe that noone's mentioned this so far. Anyways, Dragon Quest XI is very much a safe game - but to its benefit. Ten previous games that are so similar to each other have allowed Dragon Quest XI to execute its tired and true tropes incredibly well, and the game's sense of scale is unparalleled in this series.
  5. Untitled Goose Game - HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK According to TV Tropes, the definition of video game cruelty potential is " the potential a video game has for the player to do awful, horrible things to enemies or even friendly and neutral NPCs". See anything familiar with this game-HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
  6. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - A superb Metroidvania game that proves that Iga still has it, even if the Switch port had...issues to speak of. I know that this is heresy on this forum, but Bloodstained was a better game than Hollow Knight.
  7. Super Mario Maker 2 - While the loss of the Gamepad really hurt it, it's still more Mario Maker. Props to Nintendo for adding in a story mode, which also doubles as an excellent tutorial on how to make good Mario levels (which was a major issue with the first game).
Along with those are a few games which I either can respect, but I didn't like at all (Sekiro), or games which outright didn't deserve to be on this list (i.e. KH3, Pokemon, Astral Chain).

Nov 8, 2017
  1. Days Gone - This was the best game I played in 2019. An amazing open world that always kept you on your toes.
  2. Concrete Genie
  3. Metro Exodus

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - One of the most unique open world games I've ever played. This has been my favorite Kojima game since MGS3. Sublime art direction and gameplay solidified it as one of my favorite games this gen. I always hated open world traversal because it was just there to pad the games to get to the good parts, in Death Stranding the good parts are the traversal. The micromanagment and the decision making in each step made it for a every engaging expiernce. Add to that the very cool online elements, each time I got notified that other players have gave my structures likes, I got a smile on face. Logging off and then starting the game to see the progress other players have done to my world was very enjoyable thing to experience.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Another great From Soft entry. I prefer faster combat and the parry mechanics was really fun to play with. Loved the boss fights and environments.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - One of my favorite games of all time got remade and I couldn't be happier with the end product. The police station and the puzzles back tracking created some incredible pacing to the game.
  4. Kingdom Hearts 3 - I enjoy the Kingdom Hearts series and while the game was overall easy even on Proud it still was a blaze to play and go through the variety of the worlds.
  5. Devil May Cry 5 - Probably the best combat in a game ever. This entry really reminded me of DMC3 and that's all I could have asked for. Dante and Nero combat were a highlight and very complimentary to each other style.
  6. Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled - Had a lot of enjoyment out of the remake of my favorite Kart racing game. Nitro boosting and dashing were done very well. The variety of stages and characters were amazing.
  7. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - One of the best expansions ever. Rajang alone is one of my favorite boss fights ever. The campaign was even better than the base game.
  8. Catherine: Full Body - Never played the original because I thought I wouldn't like the gameplay. Boy was I wrong, the puzzles were very to do and were the highlight of the game for me. The cast were really good and the animations are still great. The pacing was impeccable as well.
  9. Bloodstained Ritual Of the Night - pretty good Metroidvanaia and some cool fights and mechanics. Enjoyed the music as well.
  10. Control - Haven't finished it yet but the artstyle alone earned it a spot until I finish it. Snappy combat and the powers are fun to use as well.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Might be my new favorite game in a series I already loved, fantastic characters and writing that invite discussion, a massive game with 4 distinct routes that each tell their own story, great strategy gameplay that is really compelling, and some really cool customization options that allow you to tune your squad to how you want to play even if it isn't always optimal
  2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - I'm a big fan of the trails/kiseki series and this might just be my favorite game in the series so far. It does great at balancing characters new and old, has the excellent world building and story the series is known for, and a really fun combat system enhanced by new additions like orders. While I do have some small gripes with certain story elements and the game is definitely not where I'd recommend new comers to the story to start, it really only just falls short of number 1 for me
  3. Slay the Spire - I kind of feel like this is cheating a bit since I most of my playtime with the game is from when it was in early access last year, this is the first year it's eligible and so this is where I'll vote for it. A lot of fun, really addicting, my only issue is that sometimes I start out wanting to play a certain build I like and the cards I'm offered just don't cooperate
  4. Super Mario Maker 2 - A great expansion on what the original offered, I had a bunch of fun with it and could probably have even more if I ever just wanted to pop back in
  5. Etrian Odyssey Nexus - A great send off to the series run on the 3DS, a lot of cool fanservice and a huge amount of classes to mix and match for your party plus the always great and well designed combat and customization of the Etrian Odyssey series put this here
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - A great remake of a fantastic classic, it really helps rid the game of some of the unfortunate limitations it had from the gameboy like the original's two buttons. Mostly not higher because it's a bit too faithful to the original and doesn't offer as much new stuff as I'd like, but a must play for people who haven't played the game yet
  7. Ai: The Somnium Files - Had a lot of fun with the story and characters. The gameplay was unfortunately a bit lacking with the somnium stuff often feeling too trial and error focused, but the narrative was interesting enough to keep me hooked
  8. Pokemon Sword/Shield - The latest gen of Pokemon is very flawed, despite probably being my most played game on this list. That said, the new pokemon are great and the competitive side is easier to get into than ever thanks to some nice QoL changes and better visibility of Rental teams. Playing competitive is a ton of fun so despite the flaws it'll land here
  9. Astral Chain - There's a lot of fun action and at it's best it was super enjoyable, but it lands lower on the list due to being bogged down by some tedious side quests and a story that's just a really shitty evangelion. Still a lot of fun, but do think it could've been better
  10. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - I wasn't sure whether to put this on the list since this is just the ps4 port, but I ultimately decided that since I double dipped and had a blast replaying it on PS4 that I'd give it the shout here. Adding new voice over and turbo mode that weren't in the ps3/vita versions means it's one of the best ways to play the game, especially if you don't have a good enough PC. Great story, characters and world. Also a really good starting point to get into the kiseki franchise which is why I put this over Cold Steel II which is honestly better in other regards

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
  1. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition - I'm still playing through it, almost at the end I think, but I've seen enough to know it finishes in first. Good story, fun exploration, good characters, it's got just about everything you'd hope from a JRPG.
  2. Kingdom Hearts III - Really fun combat and exploration, neat extra mini games and things, only held back by... being a Kingdom Hearts story, for all that encompasses, lol.
  3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I only played through Golden Deer. I don't care about difficulty in games, so battles being easy is fine as long as I'm having fun. I had fun. The characters were refreshingly good, the academy was good for the most part, until the second half of the story, but it didn't detract too much.
  4. Yo-kai Watch 3 - I totally get why this game was overlooked, but there's really a lot there. Two distinct storylines, Busters T is basically a second game entirely, plus a bunch of other side modes.
  5. Pokemon Sword/Shield - At the end of the day, Pokemon is still fun. It's a pretty good batch of new Pokemon too, and I put a lot of hours into doing raids.
  6. Untitled Goose Game - HONK! A short quirky fun game, I enjoyed figuring out some of the extra objectives before the full list unlocked. Some DLC stages with more creative tasks would be great.
  7. SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech - I guess I was hoping for a stronger narrative, but the card battling was fun and diverse, and the characters were okay.

I played more games this year, but these were the only 2019 titles.

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Might be my new favorite game in a series I already loved, fantastic characters and writing that invite discussion, a massive game with 4 distinct routes that each tell their own story, great strategy gameplay that is really compelling, and some really cool customization options that allow you to tune your squad to how you want to play even if it isn't always optimal
  2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - I'm a big fan of the trails/kiseki series and this might just be my favorite game in the series so far. It does great at balancing characters new and old, has the excellent world building and story the series is known for, and a really fun combat system enhanced by new additions like orders. While I do have some small gripes with certain story elements and the game is definitely not where I'd recommend new comers to the story to start, it really only just falls short of number 1 for me
  3. Slay the Spire - I kind of feel like this is cheating a bit since I most of my playtime with the game is from when it was in early access last year, this is the first year it's eligible and so this is where I'll vote for it. A lot of fun, really addicting, my only issue is that sometimes I start out wanting to play a certain build I like and the cards I'm offered just don't cooperate
  4. Super Mario Maker 2 - A great expansion on what the original offered, I had a bunch of fun with it and could probably have even more if I ever just wanted to pop back in
  5. Etrian Odyssey Nexus - A great send off to the series run on the 3DS, a lot of cool fanservice and a huge amount of classes to mix and match for your party plus the always great and well designed combat and customization of the Etrian Odyssey series put this here
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - A great remake of a fantastic classic, it really helps rid the game of some of the unfortunate limitations it had from the gameboy like the original's two buttons. Mostly not higher because it's a bit too faithful to the original and doesn't offer as much new stuff as I'd like, but a must play for people who haven't played the game yet
  7. Ai: The Somnium Files - Had a lot of fun with the story and characters. The gameplay was unfortunately a bit lacking with the somnium stuff often feeling too trial and error focused, but the narrative was interesting enough to keep me hooked
  8. Pokemon Sword/Shield - The latest gen of Pokemon is very flawed, despite probably being my most played game on this list. That said, the new pokemon are great and the competitive side is easier to get into than ever thanks to some nice QoL changes and better visibility of Rental teams. Playing competitive is a ton of fun so despite the flaws it'll land here
  9. Astral Chain - There's a lot of fun action and at it's best it was super enjoyable, but it lands lower on the list due to being bogged down by some tedious side quests and a story that's just a really shitty evangelion. Still a lot of fun, but do think it could've been better
  10. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - I wasn't sure whether to put this on the list since this is just the ps4 port, but I ultimately decided that since I double dipped and had a blast replaying it on PS4 that I'd give it the shout here. Adding new voice over and turbo mode that weren't in the ps3/vita versions means it's one of the best ways to play the game, especially if you don't have a good enough PC. Great story, characters and world. Also a really good starting point to get into the kiseki franchise which is why I put this over Cold Steel II which is honestly better in other regards
Bold thread titles or it won't count

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
  1. Death Stranding - A unique game, with unmatched presentation, finally an open world that services the gameplay
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - This shadow died a whole lot more than twice, but enjoyed every minute of it
  3. Resident Evil 2 - Revival horror
  4. Apex Legends - Pretty much perfected the formula, but also made sure I had my fill of the genre for a while

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
  1. Devil May Cry 5 -
    3499317-dmc5-box.jpg

11 years of waiting and it finally came, and it was everything I ever wanted and more. Endless combos, tons of goofing off, and fan beloved characters galore. It takes all the strengths of DMC 4 and cuts the bullshit, giving the player a streamlined, over the top action masterpiece. The level design, while abandoning it's RE roots from DMC 1/3/4, is never intrusive and perfectly funnels the player towards the next bit of action. The enemies are as well designed as ever incorporating diverse movesets, tons of ways of challenging the player, and includes ingenious ways of teaching the player to extend combos through hyper armor on some enemies. The story is a Devil May Cry story with everything that entails: amazing cutscene direction from Yuji Shimomura, hype moments, over the top action, fun character interactions, style, and Dante being goofy. Of course there's plenty I wish they would have done, but it was trying to live up to 11 years of hype and waiting. A perfect send off for the past 20 years of the franchise and the perfect launch point for the next decade. 10/10, can't wait for Devil May Cry 6.

2. Resident Evil 2 -

FnTAm87OZrjCfroZMLASD2YN4cqqqrAEgWV2k2URIWs_390x400_1x-0.jpeg

A faithful adaptation of a classic title, I probably played through this admittedly short title about ten times. The labrythine level design, puzzles, and limited ammo/inventory management system hasn't aged a day. My biggest complaint lies in how little original content was added to the overall game from the original back in 1998. The original Resident Evil Remake not only added some extra rooms, but expanded on the background lore of the universe by adding stuff like the tragic story of Lisa Trevor. The hide and seek section with Sherry and slightly expanded time with Ada just pales in comparison in terms of quality. However, what is in the game is absolutely fantastic. Highly recommend anyone even the slightest bit interested in this title to give it a go. Really looking forward to Resident Evil 3 early next year.

3. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night -

header.jpg

Yet another title I have been waiting for for ages. Castlevania may be dead, but from it's ashes arose Miriam in Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. It's been 22 years since the original Castlevania Symphony of the night, and while The GBA and DS games scratched the itch well enough, I was always wanted a true console seqeul. Well, here that sequel is. Pure goth aesthetic, a castle with countless rooms many of which are hidden, upgrades needed to progress, a likeable protagoist... everything you could want from a Castlevania game. The biggest surprise to me, however, was just how deep and versatile the gameplay was. I was having a blast just experimenting with all the shards and weapons and was delighted to find out that I could not only have a whip build but sword build, a gunslinger build, and katana based build. I can't wait to see what IGA has in store for fans and hope we see Miriam again.

4. Luigi's Mansion 3 -

share-fb.png

The lean-mean-green machine is back on his third adventure, and I love it every bit as much as I loved the first two outing.

5. Code Vein -

8c67110933ce17bb89517956eb6f93a2ec0d03e1.jpeg

This was probably my biggest surprise of the year. I bought it on a whim and ended being treated to Goth Souls/Borne. And that's very much what it is as it wears it's inspirations on its sleeve. But that's okay! It's does more than enough of it's own stuff to differentiate itself from the Souls-like genre. And what it does take from Souls, it does very well: The combat is rewarding, the attacks are suitably crunchy and animated well, controls are responsive, playing around with different builds through Blood Codes is a lot of fun, and so on. One thing of note is the story. Don't get me wrong: I love the environmental storytelling in Dark Souls and Bloodborne and would never want that to change should there be a Dark Souls 4 or Bloodborne 2 in the future. However, it does sometimes become a bit much to play a 50 hour dungeon crawler with extremely minimanist traditional storytelling. And that's where Code Vein makes it's biggest departure: It's full of story, cutscenes, dialogue, etc It's nothing groundbreaking or even entirely well made, but the fact that it's there and executed well enough helped me make a connection with this world to the point where I would love to play a Code Vein 2 (preferrably without a silent protagonist as that's just never been my thing). Highly recommended.

6. Fire Emblem: Three Houses -

H2x1_NSwitch_FireEmblemThreeHouses_image1600w.jpg

This was originally much lower on my list with a pithy statement about how it was "just another Fire Emblem game". After completing my second playthrough and preparing for a third and maybe even fourth (first was of Golden, second was of Black Eagles Crimson Flower path, and next is going to be Black Eagles other route), I realize how unfair that assessment was. This game isn't just another Fire Emblem game, it's so much more.

Awakening had an iconic cast (Lucina, Chrom, Robin, etc) and loveable character, but the story could get extremely rote at times. Fates was... Fates. I actually like the cast for the most part but the overall story simply did nothing for me and relied far too heavily on characters just not confronting the issues at hand time and again. Three Houses on the other hand, hand me gripped from beginning to end. The cast is not only loveable and quirky, but all have their own mini-arc within all of the supports of which all are voiced and of which even minor characters have dozens. Some like Bernedatta learn how to overcome their social anxiety due to abuse, but in a far more realistic manner than I expect as she still has anxiety issues years on into the story even if she's better able to handle them. Others like Marianne discover their self-worth and accept that their life is actually worth living and that there are others who will shoulder the burden with her. The overall story is the best improvement over Awakening and especially Fates. Each of the faction leaders have their own goals, ambitions, interests, and ultimate end games and they'll step over piles of bodies if they have to to see all of that through. As you play through the routes you see different sides of each of the leaders and all of the characters and you come to realize that they all have legitimate reasons, or at least in their minds legitimate reasons, for acting the way they do.

In terms of gameplay, while the core gameplay hasn't changed much from Awakening/Fates/Echoes, the Monestary and teaching mechanics were very welcome additions and an interesting change up on the Persona-like formula it adopted.

7. Control -

control-normal-hero-background-01-ps4-us-11jun18-796x448.jpeg

Fun characters, fun and interesting story, and looking forward to the future. Good stuff.

8. Gears 5 -

header.jpg

A lot of people are disappointed that this series hasn't "evolved" past it's 2006 roots of cover shooting and hiding behind walls. For me, it's same satisfying gameplay from back in 2006 with some fun new characters and that's all I could have wanted from a Gears experience. Sometimes a franchise doesn't need to radically change when it does it's own thing as well as Gears does. The Open World portions were interesting and I hope they expand on that in Gears 6. Overall a fun experience.

9. Indivisible -
    Indivisible.jpg

Just a lovely game. There's some rough edges and the story can be meandering and directionless at times leading to a disjointed feeling rather than a grand epic journey, but I absolutely love the games sense of humor and character interactions which more than make up for that fact. The gameplay is an interesting take on Turn-based that kept me coming back until the very end. Highly recommended.

10. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

packshot-9eea295752b26541cac101c925d9d74a.jpg

I love the combat, the setting, the ost, the works. Highly recommended.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Sometimes it leans a bit too hard on the persona/school life (which doesn't quiiiite hold up over time) for its liking, but Fire Emblem Three Houses has a huge roster of likable characters, ways to grow both your personal power and snap up other classmates, and slam them into the meat grinder the fantasy setting sets up nicely. The twists and turns are many, the multiple routes to get the 'whole' story, while a big commitment, lend itself well to replayability, and the fire emblem formula maintains both classic elements, as well as new bits and bobs to keep things from getting too rote. Black Eagles/Crimson Flower for Life.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - Capcom is killing it with this remake - my only gripe is the lack of a solidified A/B routes and instead merging them into one timeline. Everything else is lovingly restored (and added to) while still keeping the series from going overly action-y a la RE5 or 6. My only hope is that RE3 delivers just as well.
  3. Control - Jesse Faden is a great protagonist, and the game's myriad of twists and turns regarding her, her past, and the setting of the Oldest House make for an amazing X-files-esque scenario. It's also a technical showcase on PC that highlights some of what's to come via Ray-tracing and the like. I really hope we see more from Control in the days to come - sequel please! Casper Darling is also a treasure.
  4. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Metroidvania is BACK, baby. There's some mild stumbling here (growing pains as an independent studio no doubt contributed), but Igarashi's formula plays almost as well here as some of the game's forebears (Symphony and Aria). The grinding isn't tedous, the spells are varied, and the promise of more character/protagonists down the line means there will be plenty to offer throughout 2020.
  5. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I still need to go back and beat the last boss, but Fromsoftware did an excellent job of distilling a single mechanic - parrying - into a game of its ow, and then expanding even more from there. It's so damn satisfying to learn boss patterns and struggle through beating a boss that you've died 20+ times too, and to finally pull off the victory. Don't think I've gotten quite as sweaty with a controller as with this game.
  6. Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - this game scratched the FFT/Ogre Tactics (and even Disgaea) itch I had for more traditional SRPG's that I didn't know I was missing. It's tough, it's got a lot of class variety, and some overpowered builds vets of the aforementioned series will recognize. Plus, it's got a LOT of difficulty options, cool characters, and a (supposedly) big DLC coming out in 2020. If you like FFT, give this game a shot!
  7. Slay the Spire - Most of my time with this game is from pre-'release', but the central formula of a deck-building rogue like is as addictive as ever, and is worth a spot on here IMO, even if for nothing else than more people playing it. You'll die a LOT (and honestly, I still seem to not really understand how the crone is supposed to work). but once you get the magic train rolling and get a build online, there's no better feeling than beating a boss so utterly.
  8. Halo: The Master Chief Collection - Technically I played this game back in....(checks wikipedia) damn, 2010. But while Reach is (personally) the weakest of the Bungie games (Fuck Bloom), banding back together with some old friends, diving back in, and playing the multiplayer brings back so many memories. Bring on the rest for PC, I'll be enoying every minute of it.
  9. They Are Billions - Didn't see it on the list, but according to Wiki and Steam is left EA on June 18 2019 - anyways, while a part of me bemoans the lack of variety in actual builds (there's really only two or three end-game scenarios), the game offered me countless hours of 'shit shit shit' pausing and trying to see how I could come out ahead. Finally winning and unlocking a new map/scenario was aces, even if the campaign that eventually released turned out to be pretty underwhelming. But the HUGE modding community around the game picks up a lot of the slack, and offers a ton of potential replay-ability to suit one's needs.

Games I was overall 'meh' on
1. Apex Legends - good, but not quiiiiite enough to keep me playing long-term, especially once my friend group fell off of it.
2. Outer Worlds - It's not 'bad' by any means, but the 'AA' budget makes itself known too much for me to really recommend it wholeheartedly. It's good, but it's not the New Vegas 2 I was hoping for - which, while at least partially on me, leaves me kinda 'blah' on the game overall.
3. Kingdom Hearts 3 - fell off about halfway through - spammy combat, lack of FF characters, and the story somehow being even more convoluted really didn't help this game endear itself after the nostalgia glasses wore off. Not bad, but for how long it took, not IMO good enough.

Games I didn't get around to:
1. Untitled Goose Game
2. Outer Wilds
3. Disco Elysium
4. Baba is You
5. A Plague Tale Innocence
6. Sayonara Wild Hearts
7. Star Wars Fallen Order
edit: And 8. Judgement.

Crash

Oct 27, 2017
United States
  1. Judgment - RGG Studio delivers yet again! We return to Kamurocho with a very fun detective story with new characters that I'd love to see again in the future.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - The best survival horror game since Resident Evil 7. It'll stay the best until my boy Nemesis returns to fuck shit up next year.
  3. Death Stranding - Kojima is back! An amazing cast and a very addictive gameplay loop made for an enjoyable game from start to finish. Pick on that Princess Beach line all you want, the game is still great.
  4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I enjoyed Sekiro's combat more than both Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Also the final fight in this game was the most intense and satisfying to beat in probably any game I've played.
  5. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - Capcom continues to show love to their best selling title ever with an almost overwhelming amount of new content.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Three Houses, similar to Awakening and Fates, is a character-building game at its core. The fundamental problem with both Awakening and Fates, however, is that the character writing (while decent in Awakening), was nowhere near as strong enough to hold up the experience, and as such, those two games fell apart completely. Three Houses, on the other hand, has the best character writing in the series by far, and as such, the whole experience is able to come together as a rare game that is greater than the sum of its parts. Almost every character have many layers, nuances and personality quirks such that as I discovered more of them, my opinion on each character changed dramatically over the course of the game. Hell, Three Houses managed to present a nuanced, very well-written fanservice character, and a nuanced depiction of a religious institution. What modern JRPG does those? It can count itself up there with Xenoblade Chronicles and Path of Radiance as one of the best Nintendo RPGs of all time. Oh, and Edelgard did everything wrong.
  2. Devil May Cry 5: "Why is DMCV on this list? You hated Mario Odyssey for having terrible level design, so why does Capcom get a free pass?" I'll admit, DMCV is somewhat like Mario Odyssey in that its mechanics far outstrip its level design. On the other hand, DMCV's combat is polished to an absolute sheen. It has so many options, looks so stylish as you do it, is easy to pick up for newcomers, yet so immensely difficult to master, that it ends up being a remarkable experience in spite of all its flaws. Add to this an amazing presentation in every aspect - artstyle and presentation included, and what you get is the best character action game of all time.
  3. Luigi's Mansion 3: Luigi's Mansion 3>Mario Odyssey. There, I said it. It has Mario Odyssey's sheer creativity, but it also has the brilliant level design of the Galaxy games and 3D World, resulting in some incredibly inventive puzzle-solving. Adding to this is a brilliant repertoire of bosses that iterate on and test each function of Luigi's Poltergust G-00 just as well as the puzzles do. Luigi's Mansion 3 is the game that Mario Odyssey wished it was.
  4. Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition: Yes, that's what the spreadsheet shows it as. Anyways, I can't believe that noone's mentioned this so far. Anyways, Dragon Quest XI is very much a safe game - but to its benefit. Ten previous games that are so similar to each other have allowed Dragon Quest XI to execute its tired and true tropes incredibly well, and the game's sense of scale is unparalleled in this series.
  5. Untitled Goose Game: HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK According to TV Tropes, the definition of video game cruelty potential is " the potential a video game has for the player to do awful, horrible things to enemies or even friendly and neutral NPCs". See anything familiar with this game-HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
  6. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night: A superb Metroidvania game that proves that Iga still has it, even if the Switch port had...issues to speak of. I know that this is heresy on this forum, but Bloodstained was a better game than Hollow Knight.
  7. Super Mario Maker 2: While the loss of the Gamepad really hurt it, it's still more Mario Maker. Props to Nintendo for adding in a story mode, which also doubles as an excellent tutorial on how to make good Mario levels (which was a major issue with the first game).
Along with those are a few games which I either can respect, but I didn't like at all (Sekiro), or games which outright didn't deserve to be on this list (i.e. KH3, Pokemon, Astral Chain).

You're formatting it incorrectly. You need a space between the bolded name and the colon, otherwise VoteBot gets all confused and sad.

So it's "Fire Emblem: Three Houses : Text" instead.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Even though I had JUST finished playing through a different Strategy RPG series a literal week before this game came out, I still became consumed by it. The story and characters and gameplay just had me playing it whenever I had free time. Going around the school was a daily routine and I loved it. It's a long game, and yet I still want to return to it to play through the other houses stories.
  2. Slay the Spire - I played a lot of card games this year, as you will see from the rest of this list. While Steamworld Quest is what got me started on em, and Dicey Dungeons was initially my own form of digital cardboard crack at first, over all Slay the Spire had the gameplay loop that I dug the most.
  3. Dicey Dungeons - Oh man when I first downloaded this game I was all about it for a few days. It's really good, but I realized it really turns into more of a puzzle game the deeper you get. The music and atmosphere is top notch, really fun.
  4. Dragon Quest XI S - I haven't beaten this game yet. It's a big game, and I got it hot off the heels of beating Fire Emblem. I love Dragon Quest but had been waiting for the Switch version to play XI. Worth the wait, it's so good! I took a break from it when Pokemon came out, but I think I'm going back to it during the holidays. Which says something for me, because I rarely will go back to a single player game after dropping it for whatever reason.
  5. Pokemon Sword/Shield - This isn't my favorite Pokemon game, but it didn't deserve the harsh treatment it got online. It's still fun, still Pokemon, and the gym battles/circuit is a really great take on that part of Pokemon. Feels so hype when there's all these people cheering you on and you go against the gym leaders dynamaxed Pokemon and the music changes!
  6. Steamworld Quest - This was a good little game to play earlier in the year for me. It got me on the non-competitive digital card game scene (so not things like Hearthstone), I liked the idea that it was a deck building game that was also an rpg.
  7. Apex Legends - I wasn't a huge fan of Fortnite or other Battle Royale games, at least not playing them. I find them much more fun to watch on Twitch, but Apex grabbed me and some friends for a little while there when it just dropped outta no where. I still ultimately realized that I have more fun watching these games then playing them, but it was definitely fun to be there playing when the game first launched.
And I believe that's all the 2019 games I played. If there were any others, they weren't notable enough for me to remember them and thus shouldn't be on the list. There are a lot I want to play, but I'll end up getting them during a sale sometime next year. I of course played other video games through out this year, but they were from previous years (big shout out to Banner Saga Trilogy, just discovered that game a couple months before Fire Emblem came out! If it was from this year, it would have either been number 1 or number 2. But alas, I discovered it late.)

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Started at 9, moved to 5, then to 3, now I'm done my first playthrough and I'm looking forward to going again with a new house.
  2. The Outer Worlds - The Fallout game we deserved.
  3. Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition - Didn't play the original edition, and didn't think much of D:OS1, but this game was amazing.
  4. Slay the Spire - I've been playing this for a couple years now, the only game, other than TABS, that I played in Early Access. Brilliant.
  5. Untitled Goose Game - Who doesn't want to be a horrible goose?
  6. Wargroove - A nice substitute for no new Advance Wars.
  7. No Man's Sky Beyond - Finally picked this game up after hearing it improved a lot.
  8. Children of Morta - Nifty Diablo-clone roguelike. Fun!
  9. Vader Immortal - Picked up a Quest over the holidays and got around to playing this. Pretty cool, it's quite intimidating to have Vader walk up to you...
  10. Gears 5 - Didn't quite finish the campaign, but I enjoyed what I played.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Easily my game of the year. It might be the most refined of From's games due to focusing on one main play style.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - I never actually played a RE game before this. Playing this made me regret this. Great looking and great to play.
  3. Devil May Cry 5 - Thank god Devil May Cry is back. I missed the stylish fast paced action from this. Capcom killed it this year.
  4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Might be higher if the game wasn't so long from the padding of the monastery. If that could be streamlined it might have made #1.
  5. Super Mario Maker 2 - I actually am not a huge 2d mario fan but something about creating your own courses is super appealing to me.
  6. The Outer Worlds - Loved it but its budget really shows as you go further through it. The more time passes, the more obvious its issues become to me though.
  7. Control - A great example of something greater then the sum of its parts. No one aspect of it was REALLY interesting but all together its oddly enthralling.
  8. AI: The Somnium Files - This one surprised me with how much I enjoyed it. Highly recommend if you liked any of the zero escape games.
  9. Borderlands 3 - Just a more refined Borderlands but that's all I really wanted.
  10. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - I have issues with this one but I put way too much time in not to acknowledge it. Probably woiuld have bumped it to an honorable mention if I played more of the next game though.
  11. Death Stranding - Liked what I played but didn't give it enough time yet to place in the top ten. I do think it'd at least knock off Shadowkeep but it'd be unfair to do that without playing more.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I just got absolutely sucked into this game: its characters, its story, the battle system. I think the characters are the game's biggest strength. There's like 30 of them and nearly all of them are interesting and feel dual-layered. This game is really great at making each of its characters simultaneously seem like terrible people and great people, both in terms of their personal interactions and also in terms of their effect on the plot. Nothing in the game feels black and white, the morality of everyone and all sides is thrown into question, and I think that's what makes the story so interesting to think about. Gameplay-wise, the traditional Fire Emblem formula is great, but this game adds another meaningful layer to it in how you can customize and train units to your own specification. I absolutely love customization and team building in RPGs, and I think it's done really well here. There are enough knobs to turn that you feel like you can get creative, but the game also guides you enough and keeps it streamlined enough that it doesn't feel like a burden. I also want to give a special shout out to the voice work in this game. Not only is it great across the board, there's just so much of it. Every single spoken line in this game is voiced which is just incredible. Overall the game just comes together as a complete package, and just feels like an epic and memorable adventure.
  2. SaGa: Scarlet Grace: Ambitions - What a bizarre and captivating game. This is a turn-based JRPG with a lot of unique ideas and the boldness to throw out a lot of traditional tropes. The result is remarkably fast-paced, addicting, and elegant. On top of that it just feels like every aspect of this game is done well, from the battle system, to the soundtrack, to the array of characters, to the writing.
  3. Pokemon Sword/Shield - It's the core Pokemon formula which is always great, but this time with dungeons stripped out. I actually think that makes the game better, and feels more focused and less tedious. It's rather breezy for an RPG but I think it was the right thing for me at this point in my life. It's just a nice game to chill in and collect fun creatures.
  4. Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition - It's a solid RPG with a story that really goes places in ways you don't expect. And it definitely pulls at your emotions like Dragon Quest is known to do. If I have one complaint about the game, it's that the battle system is a bit too simple for my tastes. It's good enough for the first 80 hours, but the game is longer than that, and after a certain point I just felt like I had seen everything and was getting bored.
Bonus: A very special shout out to Etrian Odyssey Nexus. I'm not going to vote for it because I played the Japanese version released in 2018, but I still want to mention it for all the English speakers who played it this year. What a great game though. It's great in the same way that all Etrian Odyssey games are: tightly balanced battle mechanics, really fun dungeon crawling with excellent puzzle designs, and overall just a super chill vibe which is rare in this kind of hardcore RPG. In comparison with other games in the series, Nexus is too long for its own good and feels bloated at times, but it excels in offering a ton more options for customization and party building. For that reason alone, despite its flaws, I think it actually is my favorite game in the series.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
  1. Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield - Despite its issues, Sword/Shield is the first Pokémon game that's made me want to complete the Pokédex.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - This game made it hard for me to return my PS4, as it was tough returning a system that I played such a great game on. Resident Evil 2 does a good job of combining the puzzle-solving focus of Resident Evil 1 with the gameplay of more standard survival horror games.
  3. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey - This remake was my first experience with Bowser's Inside Story, and I loved it. In addition to the fun gameplay, I enjoyed the music, humor, and that many of its elements aren't typical of the Mario universe.
  4. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Since so much of the environment is interactable, and since you're often rewarded for interacting with the environment, Luigi's Mansion 3 is really satisfying to play.
  5. Resident Evil - Referring to the Switch port here. I love how this game is one big puzzle. Definitely a classic for a reason.
  6. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — Complete Edition - Also referring to the Switch port here. People aren't kidding when they say the side quests are great; they feel engaging overall. I also really like the dialogue options in both the main and side quests. And speaking of dialogue, Geralt's sarcasm is really funny.
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - I had never played the original before, but the remake ended up becoming my fifth favorite Zelda game. It has really fun dungeons and an overworld that's tight but still dense with secrets.
  8. Yoshi's Crafted World - It's cool how this game is basically a 2D collectathon. I can't think of any other games that fall under this category. Though plenty of 2D platformers have collectables, Yoshi's Crafted World is built around them.
  9. Fortnite Chapter 2 - I love the new Island and all the refinements.
  10. Yoshi's Island - Played via the SNES app. Even though I played Yoshi's Island a lot on the GBA as a kid, the SNES NSO version is the first version of the game I've completed. Despite having more frustrating moments than I remember, I still think Yoshi's Island deserves its reputation as a classic.
  11. Team Sonic Racing - This is good arcade racer if you had already gotten your fill of Mario Kart 8 on Wii U and are looking for another arcade racer to play. It's not nearly as good as Mario Kart 8, but playing through the campaign is still worth it.
  12. Tetris 99 - A cool twist on Tetris. Though it's too difficult for me to play regularly, I enjoy partaking in the events, especially the ones based on upcoming games. Fun way to participate in the hype.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I've taken interest in and played more games than usual this year but only finished two...... will have to try and remedy that before participating.

And I'm honestly kind of kicking myself for not just playing Resident Evil 2 myself. Watched someone else do it and know I won't feel like playing through it any time soon.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
  1. Disco Elysium - This game rightfully gets praised for its incredible writing, but I also really love how it handles attributes and leveling up. It is such a refreshing game.
  2. Control - The visual aesthetic and setting of this game is really neat and I loved the powers. One of the GOAT set pieces in there too.
  3. The Outer Worlds - Despite some areas that could use improvement, I just love this style of game so much and the setting is right up my alley.
  4. Outer Wilds - I didn't love the zero g gameplay, but everything else was near perfect. Great little world to explore.
  5. Eastshade - Basically an open world exploration game with fetch quests designed around a photomode. Also, psychedelic tea!
  6. Super Mario Maker 2 - More Mario Maker! I even liked the multiplayer when it wasn't laggy as hell.
  7. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - I loved playing around in this game and creating a little community in this world. Super charming!
  8. Slay the Spire - I never thought a card battling game would ever make a GOTY list for me. Then Slay the Spire happened.
  9. Islanders - Really chill puzzle/city builder game that can be played in short bursts.
  10. A Short Hike - Cute, charming, relaxing, chill, good vibes, fun times.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 - Remake of 1 of my favorite games ever and it delivered.
  2. A Plague Tale: Innocence - Amazing atmosphere and the rats can be terrifying. Also has 1 of if not the best OST this year. Story was also really well told and up there with Life is Strange 2 for best story of the year.
  3. Life is Strange 2 - What a journey for the Diaz brothers. Really well told story with a lot of relatable characters and emotional moments.
  4. Metro Exodus - Mixture of feelings during the ending as it signified the end of the journey for Artyom. Metro has great lore and really enjoyed exploring all the maps/sections in the game.
  5. Days Gone - Delivered everything I was expecting and more. Loved the hordes, exploring the world, clearing out camps and the story was better then I was expecting. The soundtrack is equally as good. Would've been higher if not for the technical issues at launch. I know they've been fixed for the most part, but have to judge it from when I played it.
  6. Void Bastards - Talk about a game that came out of nowhere. Saw it on Game Pass downloaded it and loved it. Really liked that the weapons carried over between characters as without that I wouldn't have finished it and grow to love this game.
  7. Control - Much like Days Gone this probably would've ranked higher if not for some performance issues. Despite those I still enjoyed my time with the game and am looking forward to both dlc'so.
  8. Concrete Genie - What a great little game. Really loved the story/message of the game and exploring the areas to find more of those drawings.
  9. Gears 5 - The ending felt rushed and was not a fan of the open world sections. Aside from that the game had the amazing combat the series is known for and really enjoyed playing as someone else.
  10. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Had a lot of fun with the game and like several games above probably would've been higher if not for performance issues. Enjoyed the story and exploring for all the collectibles.
Would also like to acknowledge Destiny 2: Shadowkeep, The Outer Worlds, Judgment, Arise: A Simple Story, Greedfall, and Blood & Truth.

Flayer

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - Unique. Weird. Brilliant. There's something magical about the whole concept that is hard to define but I fell in love with this game.
  2. Resident Evil 2 Remake - Take one of the best games from 20 years ago and improve it. Sounds easy but few pull it off to such great effect.
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Demon Souls at twice the speed. Extremely good.
  4. Days Gone - A generic concept hiding an extremely fun and unexpectedly good game.
  5. Devil May Cry 5 - A fair stab at replicating the greatness of DMC3, and not too far off.
  6. AI: The Somnium Files - I'm a sucker for branching story games and this pretty much nailed it.
  7. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - Bringing back a classic series and doing it full justice at the same time. If you like flying planes there's nothing better.
  8. Catherine: Full Body - Adding to an all time classic, still the same great game.
  9. Control - The inventiveness and creativity of the combat brings this game to life.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Luigi mansion 3 - fun,beautiful and got some nice little puzzle , i had so much fun playing coop with my wife
  2. Borderlands 3 - my favorite ip, they improved the gameplay, better skill tree, cool free dlc, nice ost too
  3. DMC 5 - best action game, great graphics, a lot of actions
  4. Gears 5 - loved the story, lot of contents, better horde and i love escape mode
  5. Remant of the ashes - thanks gamepass for having this game, a dark soul with guns, really fun game couldnt stop playing
  6. Darksider 3 - nice game, love the art, loved the gameplay
  7. Pokemon sworld shield - was really fun, more open world
  8. Resident evil 2 remake - amazing game, best remake with cool improvement

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I am seeing a complete lack of Shadowbringers on these lists. That means you did not play it and should rectify that immediately. I would say if you start FFXIV now that you could finish it by the time voting stops to correct your votes but that might honestly not be true.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers - This was a nice rebound from Stormblood (4.0), with a more interesting story and a very memorable main villain (arguably the best villain in 2019). For those who have been with FF14 with the beginning (or those who started with ARR like myself), they have been rewarded with one of the best games of the year.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
  1. Super Mario maker 2. Had so much fun playing and making levels, helps that my daughter got into it as well. More people should be playing this.
  2. Sea of thieves anniversary update. Really love the new additions, has become my most played game this gen.
  3. Gears 5. So much content on top of how fluid and crisp it is. Great game.
  4. Devil May cry V. Had a lot of fun playing this. Will now buy every future DMC day 1.
  5. Destiny 2:Shadowkeep. Loved this update, played the hell out of it.
  6. Remnant from the ashes. Bit janky but unique and addictive.
  7. Untitled Goose game. Honk.
  8. Call of duty:Modern Warfare. Mp maps are kinda shitty but feels and looks great.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
  1. Sayonara Wild Hearts - Love the aesthetic, the soundtrack, and the queer energy. Gameplay is simple but exciting.
  2. Devil May Cry 5 - Never been a big DMC fan but this one blew me away. Good variety between the characters and I could actually follow the story.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - Fantastic remake of one of my all time favorite games.
  4. River City Girls - Excellent soundtrack, charming art, super addicting gameplay.
  5. Call of Duty Modern Warfare - I always enjoy campaigns and this one was nice after a year off. Clean House was a gem.
  6. Gears 5 - probably the best visuals of the year, always solid gameplay, I kind of enjoyed the open world even tho it was empty.
  7. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Souls games are not for me, so I played on easy difficulty and really enjoyed the story experience
  8. The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan - Not quite as good as Until Dawn but still a lot of fun.
  9. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - SOTN is a top 10 all time game for me, and this was a worthy tribute.
  10. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Dark Order - I punched stuff as Captain Marvel. Can't ask for much more than that. Fun combo mechanic.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - This one of the strangest GOTY's I can think of. I actually have a number of issues with Three Houses, from its outright bad technical prospects to there being disappointingly little to do in Garreg Mach Monastery after you experience it for the hundredth time, and yet I bought this game and immediately threw down 40 hours into it in the first weekend. I ended up pouring 200 hours into the game within a month. It got its hooks in me unlike any other. The gameplay loop is addicting. Customizing your units has absolutely never been this fun. After you get some experience under your belt, it's a joy to mess around with gimmick strats that really shouldn't work but do. This is by far the best cast of characters in a Fire Emblem game to date. In my later playthroughs I just wanted to recruit everyone. The story is one of the best in the series. It was nice to see some actual moral grays after Fates fucked this up so badly. I played through this game 3 times in a row and enjoyed it the whole way. That's basically all the proof I need that it's my GOTY and one of my favorite games of all time.
  2. Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition - People call this game bland, and I will absolutely never understand those claims. I've played few games that are just such a joy to play, yet make me feel the whole damn range of emotions while playing through its story while making me nostalgic for something I've never even known the whole time. Great cast of characters, great story, good (and underappreciated) combat, beautiful graphics, etc, etc. Can't wait for XII. Going to go back and revisit a number of games in this series, thanks to XI.
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Lovely game with the best setting yet in the series. Consistently a great time with maybe one annoying dungeon and maybe one overly cryptic puzzle, but overall a great time consistently through its 10 hour runtime.
  4. Astral Chain - Put me in the camp that really enjoyed Platinum's attempt to break up the typical Platinum gameplay loop with a bit more downtime and exploration. The combat is very unique and a lot of fun, but what puts this apart from the field, for me, were exactly those moments. Also shoutouts to one of the best OSTs of the year, if not the best.
  5. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled - I loved the original CTR, so seeing a remake with basically the same gameplay mechanics had me excited from the start. I would've loved this game even if it was just the content from the original with some incredible new graphics. Instead, we also got a whole ton of new tracks and characters and some commendable post-release support with their grand prix system. A mind-boggling amount of content for a kart racer.
  6. Super Mario Maker 2 - Bigger, better Mario Maker. I wish I could get more into the actual creation part of this game, but playing through other people's tracks is still worth the price, and so is the large number of tracks that come with the game's story mode.
  7. Baba Is You - Very neat puzzle game that made me feel dumb. Really enjoyed my time with this game for a while, but after some point it's just a bit much. Really great presentation.
  8. Dead or Alive 6 - I've never played a game in this series before, but I have a newfound enjoyment of 3D fighters and decided to give the new one a shot after loving Soulcalibur VI. This game was certainly not as good as SC6, but I still had a lot of fun with it. Biggest problem I have with the game is just how bad the story mode was. Feels like nothing even happens. The presentation was also all over the place and made what little story there was unnecessarily difficult to follow. Most of the characters don't even factor into it at all. Biggest credit to this game is its DOA Quest mode. This mode got me trying to actually learn some of the mechanics of the game I'd normally never even bother with as a casual player. I actually got so confident from this mode that I even tried to play the game online - something I never had the urge to attempt with SC6. That's when I remembered I don't have PS Plus.
  9. Yoshi's Crafted World - Fun, meditative platformer. Definitely in this more for the "collect everything" mindset than wanting to actually be challenged. I think if you approach this game with that collectathon mindset it's a joy. A bit of a step down from Woolly World, but still a good time. OST was a letdown, but the visual presentation was wonderful.

I didn't see Yoshi or Dead or Alive on the spreadsheet, so those may need to be added.

Also, most of what I play is from previous years, so may "actual" GOTY list is really one that contains everything I've played. That would look something like:

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
2. Dragon Quest XI S
3. Yakuza 0
4. Pokemon Platinum
5. Grandia II
6. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
7. Muv-Luv Alternative
8. Paper Mario
9. Astral Chain
10. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC

I played 36 unique games this year and really enjoyed my time with most of them. Gonna try to sneak one more in before the end of the year, so my list may still be updated.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
  1. Disco Elysium - A beautifully-written, manifesto-esque CRPG that invites you to a deep inspection of this chaotic world. Real gem of the decade.
  2. Control - The art direction is out of this world. Recency bias maybe, but I am putting it over RE2.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - "Video game as intensive spatial experience" the game. The police station level design nailed it.
  4. Sekiro - Great, but not Bloodborne level greatness.
  5. Fire Emblem Three Houses
  6. Apex Legends

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
  1. Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers - FFXIV is the largest reason so few games are on this list (the other being real life shit). It's honestly hard to single out specific aspects I like about it, because I like every aspect of it. The narrative is one of the best I've experienced in an RPG in years (shout out to the villian, which really makes it special). I listen to the soundtrack literally on a daily basis. You can clearly tell that there's a ton of love and care put into every aspect of this experience. Ten outta ten.
  2. Hypnospace Outlaw - I came into this game expecting generic, rote 90's internet nostalgia. Instead, I got an incredibly interesting narrative experience. I greatly enjoyed uncovering the mysteries contained within. It helps that I'm a sucker for slightly altered alternate universes, as well.
  3. Tetris 99 - This ended up being one of my favorite multiplayer experiences of the last few years. My big gripe was that it was fairly content light at launch, but post-launch content has filled out the game decently well.
  4. Super Mario Maker 2 - It's more Super Mario Maker. Good stuff. The story mode was a nice addition, but really, I'm just glad that it's not stuck on the Wii U anymore, even if we lost some GamePad convenience in the process.
  5. Halo: The Master Chief Collection - My favorite Halo game? On my personal computer? Nice.
  6. Daemon X Machina - Hell yeah, it's a good mecha game, for the first time in years. Not much else to say. I will add that the artstyle does wonders on Switch, and I'm always happy to see devs working around lower specs with good stylistic decisions.
  7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - I think this is the best CoD in years (probably since AW). The engine upgrades were sorely needed. Gunfight ended up being a big surprise hit for me.
  8. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - It's good Destiny content. Not much else to say.
FFXIV and trying (and failing) to succeed IRL really put a damper on my number of games played this year.

Some games I bought but have not played that would probably end up on this list: Disco Elysium, FE:3H, LM3, Death Stranding, DQXIS, REmake 2, Link's Awakening

Games I played this year but did not enjoy enough to put on the list: Mortal Kombat 11 (big step back from MKX, incredibly disappointed TBH), Sekiro (Bloodborne continues to be the only Soulsborne game I've enjoyed. Not entirely sure why. Put about 5 to 10 hours in and it didn't click. I'll try to give it another shot at some point)

Jun 23, 2019
Aww yisss! One of my favorite times of the year.
  1. Death Stranding - When I first started playing Death Stranding, I imagined that this is what it feels like walking the landscapes of Iceland. Hauntingly beautiful and wildly entertaining, Death Stranding is what happens when you give Kojima a blank check and ask him to create a game. What we got was by far the most impressive game of 2019 and a game that will stick with me for years to come.

2. Kingdom Hearts 3 - I don't care what anyone says. KH3, while not perfect, was an amazing game and one that I will not have any trouble playing years from now. Great combat, fantastic music, insane graphics and art direction, this is the KH game we always imagined and it delivered.

3. Resident Evil 2 - When I played RE2 all those years ago on PSX, I never could have imagined that technology would advance to a point where a game that was already supremely terrifying, even moreso with this remake. Capcom showed up and showed out.

4. Control - What do you get when you mix the paranormal with amazing gameplay and a weird ass story? You get what you frickin' deserve! That's what you get!

5. Untitled Goose Game - HONK.

6. Devil May Cry 5 - The best action game of 2019 easily and super fun

7. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - The best Metroidvania I've played in quite some time, helmed by the master himself Iga.

8. Apex Legends - Finally. A Battle Royale that doesn't take itself seriously, but doesn't devolve into borderline kiddy cheese. Welcome to Apex Legends. Take a bow Respawn.

9. Monster Hunter: Iceborne - Amazing expansion to an already great game, I can't wait to see what Capcom does next with the series.

10. The Outer Wilds - Criminally underrated game, but one I greatly enjoyed and recommend to everyone.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - He actually did it. He made a beautiful, unique, haunting game with an original concept and poignant execution. What a masterpiece.
  2. Disco Elysium - I've been following this game for years, hoping it would deliver, but assuming it wouldn't. How wrong I was.
  3. A Plague Tale: Innocence - This was also an incredible surprise. Such a beautifully crafted world, with great performances and a clever set of gameplay hooks.
  4. Control - Aesthetics were the name of the game this year. And Control has it more than almost anyone.
  5. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - From Software. Need I say more? In case I do, this was a bit of a departure for them, and they showed that they can take the formula in new directions.
  6. Baba Is You - GAME IS GREAT. BABA IS WIN.
  7. Resident Evil 2 - Reminded us why the original was great while feeling fresh and ahead of the curve in 2019.
  8. Astral Chain - Perhaps Platinum's most ambitious game yet, this game feels like a whole season of an anime, like a Jojo Part 9: Cyberpunk Wind
  9. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - This year was the "fuck konami" year, eh?
  10. My Friend Pedro - This was a fun surprise! Really cool way to make a 2D Max Payne.
  11. Super Mario Maker 2 - Despite Nintendo botching a lot of things about this sequel, they also gave the community enough new tools to make incredible stuff in spite of Nintendo.
  12. Judgment - The Yakuza formula needed some fresh air after 6 and Judgment is exactly the right direction for it. Fresh, yet familiar.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 - My favorite Resident Evil title beautifully re-imagined.
  2. Tetris 99 - Two years in a row with a Tetris game in my top three. What a time to be alive.
  3. Ace Combat 7 - Beautiful plane models, environments and music make this a must play.
  4. Judgement - Yakuza Team continues to be the best at creating open world games. Throw in a touch of Ace Attorney. Peanut Butter and Chocolate.
  5. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Never played the original. It's a great 2D Zelda game. I do think I prefer the sprite work of the original to the remastered viasuals.
  6. Luigi's Mansion 3 - The varied environments ooze charm and kept the experience engaging until the end.
  7. Slay The Spire - Not much of a card battler or rogue like person, but somehow this game just works for me.
  8. Devil May Cry 5 - Great action game that is dragged down by dull level design and super repetitive environments.
  9. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - You'd have been higher on the list if not for the bugs that prevented game progress.
  10. Super Mario Maker 2 - Surprised it ended up this low on the list but despite the new tools for improved level design, it's still hard to find good Mario levels that aren't auto-Mario or hard as fuck.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I thought the one-two punch of FE Heroes and Shadows of Valentia had burned me out on Fire Emblem for a long time, possibly forever. Then Nintendo revealed the school setting for the next Fire Emblem, and I was greatly concerned to say the least. Somehow, despite all this, Three Houses ended up providing a compelling and nuanced story about titanic empires falling into war, and represents a significant course correction I didn't think was possible. Amazingly, Three Houses might represent an even better value than Fates in some ways; multiple storylines with (somewhat) unique missions means I still have so much of the game to discover still.
  2. Death Stranding - I agonized over this one because the game has significant issues: its characters don't feel human, its story is wild but often fails to land its punches, and the game is too in love with its many interstitial animations. As someone who hasn't played a lot of Kojima games, and had extremely low expectations going in, I was surprised to learn that it's the core gameplay that elevates Death Stranding into one of the best games of the year. Imagine if someone spent tens of millions of dollars to create a hybrid of Euro Truck Simulator and The Tomorrow Children. The biggest surprise, honestly, is that anyone besides me likes it. It feels so precisely aimed at my super niche gaming interests.
  3. Control - Definitely the most unique title on my list. I suppose if I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it's a more action-oriented take on the kind of atmosphere you'd expect from System Shock or Prey, but that's not quite right. There's an element of psychedelia in Control, an extra ingredient outside of the oppressive paranoia and barely concealed horror those latter titles have in spades. It's the ingredient that leads to the dazzling setpiece of the Ashtray Maze, or the hilarity of a supernatural refrigerator that must be watched at all times or... else. Control revels in its mindfuck of a world, and invites you to do the same.
  4. Judgment - Upon its release, we didn't yet know that Judgment would become a victory lap for the Ryu Ga Gotoku team before they turned to fresh, untested ideas. Back then it was just an intriguing spinoff of the Yakuza series, one that would show Kamurocho through different eyes. And while the story ends up hewing a little too close to the heightened crime drama of its parent series, it's hard to say no to more of a good thing. I look forward to seeing how Yakuza 7 changes up the formula, but I hope Judgment becomes the torchbearer for the OG Yakuza gameplay we've come to love.
  5. Untitled Goose Game - You are a horrible goose, and though you don't know it, you have a plan. A simple idea, perfectly executed. Every scenario is a delightful surprise, and the game's focus never wavers. This is the game all my friends, especially the ones who don't play games, wanted to try.
  6. Tom Clancy's The Division 2 - I didn't like Destiny. Anthem was a horrific mess. Somehow, my takeaway from all this was to try again, and this time I hit paydirt with The Division 2. It's the game I spent the most time with this year, which is shocking to me. The ride from level 1 all the way to World Tier 5 was fantastic, though some early growing pains around level 10 dampened the mood temporarily. Tom Clancy games still have terrible politics and an unfortunate gun fetish, but at least this one is a blast to play.
  7. Pokemon Sword/Shield - As a Pokemon noob, I've felt like Goldilocks trying to find something I'd really like. X/Y was a little too freeform and boring at the start; Let's Go felt too long and its pokedex long in the tooth, thanks to years of Pokemon Go exposing me to enough Kanto for a lifetime. Somehow, Shield ended up being the game I really sunk my teeth into. Yeah, yeah, Dexit and regressing game design and bad graphics on level 3 and all that, but there are some neat ideas like the Wild Area that I hope stick around. And hey, after the streamlined experience of Shield, maybe I'm finally ready to take on the other games. But I'll miss raiding with friends (even if raids themselves could use some work) and being able to see (and avoid!) Pokemon in the overworld.
  8. Days Gone - This was supposed to be an also-ran. When it was unveiled at E3 it was so clearly riding the coattails of The Last of Us. And yet, what we got turned out to be a little different after all: a surprisingly interesting journey of two men trying to hold back the end of the world, and discovering they can't do it alone. Days Gone feels like three seasons of a television show, and once I got into the game it was hard to put down: always working towards clearing out another freaker nest, or running errands for one of the local settlements, or just wanting to see what's around the bend. Occasionally frustrating gameplay and technical issues hold it back some, but this is a big achievement for Bend.
  9. Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of the New World - This was supposed to be the budget spinoff, but it might be my favourite Atelier game of an unusually packed year. Lots of returning fan-favourite characters, of course, but also a surprisingly robust production management/city-building sim. There isn't really anything like it, but I wish there was.
  10. River City Girls - It's a beat 'em up, which traditionally I haven't been great at, so the fact that it makes my list anyways is a testament to its quality. It looks fantastic, the soundtrack is amazing, it's got a lovely cast of characters and really charming goofballs for protagonists, and it's just challenging enough to make me bleed but fun and accessible enough that I managed to finish it nonetheless. Some unfortunate UI/control issues aside, it's a blast.
Honourable Mentions:
Observation
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
Slay the Spire (Early Access last year, also I still haven't actually managed to win a game yet!)
The Outer Worlds (only half-finished but very good)
SUPERHOT VR (released last year but new on Oculus Quest)
What the Golf?
Baba Is You
Sayonara Wild Hearts

Also, this is obviously outside the scope of a rigid top 10 list, but I feel like any of the top three could be/is my GOTY this year depending on my current whim.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
  1. Disco Elysium - Just your run-of-the-mill discopunk noir adventure with twenty-four friends who live inside your mind and body. Whispering to you. Possibly the best game writing I've ever seen; every bright sign and dingy alley oozes with depth and personality and history. Completely wonderful.
  2. Death Stranding - If MGSV was about the Tower of Babel, this is the Tower of Baggage. Delivers on the tantalizing promise of negative space in a open world game as no game has since Shadow of the Colossus. Every rock, crevice, field and stream can be your best friend or worst enemy. And then there's all the technology that spills out of 3D printers at your command, aiding you in your quest to become the most ungainly tower of luggage in the world. Plus a heaping helping of Kojima's classic sloppy but oh-so-filling nonsenseburger story. Captivating.
  3. Control - Not only fixes all the issues I had with Quantum Break (boring main character, bad live action content, bland storytelling and awkward pacing), but positively radiates atmosphere and smart design, with a genuinely intriguing storyline. If it weren't for the slightly cumbersome loot and upgrade system this could have competed for #1. I can't wait for the Alan Wake DLC.
  4. Void Bastards - An engrossing and sly first person roguelike where you play as a series of rehydrated pink slime people in spacesuits, sprinting through derelict spaceships collecting trash to please your corporate overlords. Some of my favorite enemy voice lines in any game.
  5. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - The feel of steel on steel. The princeliness of perfect parries. The delight of drop kills. I wish I was more invested in the world and lore, but this is the most sublime gameplay FROM has delivered yet. Looking forward eagerly to Elden Ring and the next gen of peerless action RPGs.
  6. Days Gone - My vote for "Most Surprising Game of the Year," Days Gone steadily won me over through its commitment to grounded storytelling nested inside an exceptionally reactive open world that feels as dangerous as any horror game. Also one of the skills is called "Talk Shit, Get Hit." Boozeman!
  7. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Fire Emblem finally won me back. For the first time since 2007 I felt invested in one of this series' worlds and the outcomes its characters could generate through carefully laid plans destroyed by the cruel whims of a random number generator. I was skeptical about the "Persona angle," but if anything they should have taken the school stuff even further. Maybe next time.
  8. The Outer Worlds - I'm so happy that Obsidian finally caught their break, and glad to report that their character and dialogue skills remain intact. The game makes great use out of its smaller scope, though I found myself feeling the long shadow cast by New Vegas more than ever.
  9. Mario Maker 2 - For sheer kinetic, creative delight.
  10. Kingdom Hearts III - For sheer mindbending insanity.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I went into this thinking the academy setting would put me off, but ended up doing two playthroughs in a row, something I can't remember doing with a game. I've already got a third planned out for when the story DLC is finished. A bold entry in the series that manages to make a cast of nearly 40 characters interesting and intertwined, while battle maps offer a range of objectives.
  2. Dragon Quest 11: Definitive Edition - Easily the best JRPG I've played in years. Heartwarming and tragic, hilarious and packed with scenarios that don't play out the way you expect them to, I just couldn't put it down.
  3. Etrian Odyssey Nexus - This was a good swansong title for my 3DS in January, distilling everything good about the series into the biggest dungeon crawl yet. Lots of variety and so many options for party builds.
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Loved the art style, new detailed backgrounds in houses and new musical arrangements. The only reason this isn't higher is that, for a remake, while the tile by tile recreation is interesting and plugged straight into my nostalgia for the game, I thought it could have added more and the new content they did add, Dampe's dungeon, lost my interest very quickly.
  5. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Hit the spot for this type of game with me, I was experimenting with builds throughout. Flawed and with a few bugs, but was patched quickly and remains fun to play.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - This was a game I always knew I was going to play, but it never really excited me. Every time they showed a trailer in Nintendo Directs, I just glossed over it. But then the game came out and surprised me in every way. An amazing reinvention of the series that has made me a bigger Fire Emblem fan than ever before.
  2. Dragon Quest 11: Definitive Edition - (This is what the spreadsheet calls the game for some reason.) This may be a rerelease of a game that came out last year, but the improvements they've made make an incredible difference. I've never seen a game with this many QoL features. Being able to speed up battles is huge for me on its own. The music is orchestrated and sounds fantastic. And of course, the base game itself is remarkable - one of the best RPGs I've ever played.
  3. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Next Level Games is growing as a developer, and this is easily their best work yet. Luigi's Mansion 3's gameplay loop is addicting, and I found myself scouring every single room for cash. I believe this team has some of the best character animators in the industry. Luigi, or any Mario character for that matter, has never been more expressive. Additionally, the boss battles in this game are incredibly clever and memorable.
  4. Kingdom Hearts III - It had been a while since the last numbered Kingdom Hearts game, but it's always a joy to travel through Disney worlds as Sora. I appreciate that they finally threw Pixar into the mix. Exploring the toy store in the Toy Story world and finding Easter eggs was a memorable highlight for me.
  5. Pokémon Sword/Shield - The thing that makes me the most happy about this game is that it didn't ignore the incredible features introduced in Pokémon Let's Go. Being able to see Pokémon in the overworld and having the option to access your box from anywhere are game-changers. You get access to dozens of Pokémon before making it to the first gym, allowing for team building experimentation from the beginning. I also appreciate the minimal story as it led to less interruptions. If exploring a new region and catching a big collection of Pokémon is your favorite part of the series, then I believe this is among the strongest in the series.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
  1. Astral Chain - Crazy Combat, Chimeras and I completed it!
  2. Zelda: Links Awakening - Lovingly remade and gorgeous to look at.
  3. Control - Ray tracing in a good game! Love the uniquely inspiring game and action.
  4. Death Stranding - Kojima's done it again! Love the cast and the technical excellence.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - A game with a fantastic cast of characters, great gameplay and soundtrack. I did all my playthroughs back to back and got a 270 hours playtime. Some things are disapointing like reused maps and some stuff after the timeskip but it still is one of the best in the series and is my 2019 GOTY by far.
  2. Pokemon Sword/Shield - My second most played game this year at 115 hours. Some thing like cut pokemon and story is dissapointing but the Wild Area is addicting and I will always love the Pokemon gameplay.
  3. Astral Chain - I always enjoy Platinum games and this was no different. The game takes some time to get into but when it does it's amazing.
  4. Tetris 99 - It's Tetris Battle Royale and it's awesome, I never won but it's still fun.
  5. Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution - I got back into YGO recently and this is an okay game and it's fun to relive some battles from the show.
  6. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order - It a fun game with some of my favorite Marvel characters
  7. Untitled Goose Game - HONK
  8. Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition - Got all achievements on 360 , I was happy to finally play this version after waiting for so long.
  9. Cadence of Hyrule - A fun surprise this year and a great game.
  10. Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition - Platinumed it on PS4 last year this is still a good game and the new additions are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.