• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Are we listing AI Dungeon as AI Dungeon, AI Dungeon 2, A.I. Dungeon..... ?

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Everyone make sure to go support our lord and savior, Empress Edelgard, and vote for Three Houses as your number one!

19dd2e47f4ea5788da810a7ad5f881900c6f8986.jpg

OR ELSE
Damn, talk about a hard sell!

I gotchu though! 😄 Undoubtedly my no. 1 game of 2019, will vote for it as soon as I sort out the rest of my list.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - An expansion to a game I already love. Tons of new, fun content and lots of nice quality of life changes
  2. Control - Just a really fun, interesting game that was probably the best Star Wars/Jedi game of the year 😂😂
  3. Gears 5 - Absolutely gorgeous graphics, interesting campaign, and a MP mode that's as polished as ever. King of the TPS.
  4. Call of Duty Modern Warfare - Back to the basics with cod, and it came with a beautiful new engine and some of the best gunplay the series has ever seen. I would place it higher if the maps weren't, on average, awful.
  5. The Outer Worlds - Fun game! It definitely has its flaws but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm hoping that if a sequel happens they will be able to really make the quests more interesting and less stale. Best companions in an RPG in a long time, tho.
    All I can say for games released this year. I've played others but none I felt worth mentioning. Onward to 2020!!

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
1. Destiny 2 Shadowkeep - An expansion to a game I already love. Tons of new, fun content and lots of nice quality of life changes.

2. Control - Just a really fun, interesting game that was probably the best Star Wars/Jedi game of the year 😂😂

3. Gears 5 - Absolutely gorgeous graphics, interesting campaign, and a MP mode that's as polished as ever. King of the TPS.

4. CoD: Modern Warfare - Back to the basics with cod, and it came with a beautiful new engine and some of the best gunplay the series has ever seen. I would place it higher if the maps weren't, on average, awful.

5. The Outer Worlds - Fun game! It definitely has its flaws but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm hoping that if a sequel happens they will be able to really make the quests more interesting and less stale. Best companions in an RPG in a long time, tho.

All I can say for games released this year. I've played others but none I felt worth mentioning. Onward to 2020!!

tenor.gif

Heh heh heh

Well met stranger, got a good new item on sale for ya

header.jpg

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Control - Since the game was first previewed the setting/feel of it was right up my alley. All that delivered in the game at release and the gameplay held up too, loved the powers and guns. Can't wait for the expansions. Not only the best game I played this year, but the coolest too!
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - You know, it might be my favorite FROM game. The pace of the combat is amazing and the effectiveness of the combination of aggression and parrying is the best swordplay in any game I've played. And it's not just the gameplay, it delivers on so much more too, story, worldbuilding, art. Oh baby.
  3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Second! best piece of Star Wars media this year =P. Sure it aped and combined aspects from a bunch of other games but it really just worked well. Played through on the hardest difficulty and got exactly what I wanted from the game both in terms of experience and satisfaction. Story also clicked for me. I was on the "Cal looks bland and boring" train from the reveal but he really endeared himself to me over the course of the game and I was all in on his relationships with the other characters and what he went through. So happy to see a sequel is coming.
  4. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - This was a surprise for me. Came in completely under the radar but the Easy Allies review convinced me to check it out and it was well worth it. The 2D platforming is tight and gets to show off in some really well made and varied levels, enhanced by the light exploration to get all the extra coins in each stage. The overworld puzzles are a terrific change of pace and usually very enjoyable in how you solve them and very creative in how they end up affecting levels for alternate versions. The mechanics of the Impossible Lair at the end are just extra icing on the cake.
  5. Disco Elysium - Great setting with a super fresh take on the narrative and gameplay. I would've had it higher but the story didn't really grab me much, had the best time with sidequests, especially in the latter half of the game.
  6. Gears 5 - A very... competent game. Not particularly great anywhere but comes together well and I had fun with it. Gears gameplay still holds up for the most part.
  7. The Outer Worlds - I'm just really glad Obsidian is around and making games like these. Definitely has faults, mainly that it's too easy and drags in the middle, but that's alleviated somewhat by being shorter/smaller in scope. Still in for more!
  8. Devil May Cry 5 - Very fun style focused combat brought down by poor level design that makes it kind of an uninteresting slog to get through, but I kept going for the arenas and bosses, it was just *that good* to play.
  9. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Exactly what I pictured in my head a modern Igavania would look like. Doesn't really stand out though, whether in general or among other Igavanias, just very middle of the road. Kind of reminds me of Yooka Laylee really (the first 3D one to be clear).
  10. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - Fun, but short. As someone that doesn't have interest in MP or getting higher scores the campaign flies by (no pun intended!) really fast. Like I said though, really fun! Great setpieces and music get it into the 10th slot here over some other stuff.

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Information
A reminder to everyone: your votes should match the names in the document. If they do not, then the vote might not be counted properly.

If you want to make sure your vote counts, make sure it matches. And if it's not listed, put your vote in and make sure we know to add it.

We'll add any games not on the list as they're voted for. We'll try and add to the list at least once a day.

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Information
A reminder to everyone: your votes should match the names in the document. If they do not, then the vote might not be counted properly.

If you want to make sure your vote counts, make sure it matches.
How often is this list being updated? I've noticed several of the titles I voted for which definitely released this year are still not on there

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 - Capcom rebuilt a 90s classic with modern graphics, mechanics, and camera and managed to surpass expectations. I can't wait to see what they do with RE3.
  2. The Outer Worlds - This light-hearted RPG was more in the vein of wacky Mass Effect off-shoot rather than a New Vegas successor people were expecting. The combat was not its strong suit, but it made up for in memorable characters and a gorgeous, color-filled sci-fi world.
  3. Control - A combination of trippy and otherworldly Alan Wake-isms with the banging combat of Quantum Break and some Mass Effect combat DNA. Everything gels immediately and proceeds at a snappy pace. Too many MMO-type of missions and backtracking brought this down a little, but the accompanying characters and dialogue made it worth it.
  4. A Plague Tale: Innocence - Incredible atmosphere and world building, an interesting mix of The Last of Us and the otherworldly feel of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Some really terrifying scenes of rat carnage and also the scum of humanity, but the lighter moments between the siblings held it up.
  5. Life is Strange 2 - Dontnod took some risks not making this LiS 1.5 and it paid off mostly in the second half. The road trip format made for a more unpredictable plot where each twist and turn tested the brothers' relationship.
  6. The Walking Dead: The Final Season - Clementine's tale was nearly cut short due to the Telltale debacle, but thankfully it came together in a tight, well-told story with Clem playing the protector role to AJ.
  7. Metro Exodus - This series' atmosphere of beauty and dread is second to none with amazing vistas and dank interiors. The English voice acting is not great, but 4A Games puts in the work of world-building, weapons, and strange characters. You really feel like you are on a cross-country train adventure with a good group of friends.
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Upgraded with excellent graphics and better quality of life features, this classic holds up well today.
  9. Gears 5 - The Coalition rightly switched focus from JD to Kait and opened up the story and levels. While the linear-wide levels weren't always totally successful, the shake-up made for a much more interesting campaign than Gears 4.
  10. Untitled Goose Game - I was expecting to pass on this after 15 minutes, but it hooked me in for 2.5 hours in one play session.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 - A pretty great marriage of TPS mechanics and classic RE gameplay. Shooting is always the last resort. Excellent atmosphere and very well made game.
  2. Metro Exodus - it's not often that a game makes me emotional. But this one did. While the game has insane amounts of jank, somewhat poor voice acting, and the open areas don't always work as well as they probably should.... it has tremendous amount of heart and soul. It's an insanely memorable journey with a perfect finale. In some ways, this game reminded me of RDR 2 with its obsessive commitment to its vision and I respect that.
  3. Devil May Cry 5 - This is the most hype game ever, it just oozes of style. It's impossible to not smile constantly while playing it. And it's a damn mechanically satisfying game too.
  4. Apex Legends - The difference between this and other battle royale games is that Respawn actually knows how to make a good shooter.
  5. Borderlands 3 - I had a lot of problems with this game, but the gameplay is so fucking tight and the coop is still so damn fun that I'd feel guilty about not including it. I just had a ton of fun with it in the end, and that's what videogames are all about.
  6. Life is Strange 2 - At times, this game felt more grown up and meaningful than anything in both previous LiS games combined. Far from perfect, with some really poor writing choices, but overall a very memorable trip with the Diaz brothers.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
  1. Resident Evil 2 - First of its kind in gaming, a reimagining that "reverse engineered" the emotional response while playing an ultimate survival horror challenge. Respecting the key beats and flow of the original, it didn't hold anything else back in order to upgrade its status into a modern classic.
    oIEyXKJ.png
  2. Control - Remedy reestablished itself as the pioneers behind TPS's once again, creating a perfect blend of storytelling and intense combat encounters, not to mention top class level design. Its world is weird, exponentially creative and original; A specific kind of craziness that's untouchable within its medium.
    M6jPiqI.png
  3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - The significant engine upgrade brought alongside itself a ton of improvements to the series, for real. Now incredibly satisfying, responsive and beautifully creafted, this new take on Modern Warfare is beyond expectations, which is exactly what the franchise needed at this point.
    igljMjf.png
  4. Apex Legends - Another big, battle royale experience that somehow managed to not only be successful enough to compete, but also was able to revisit the core concepts of the genre, with welcoming and fresh changes to its formula that are now essencial, to say the least. The biggest surprise of the year.
    4mINLlQ.png
  5. Untitled Goose Game - More than simply charming, a well-crafted little journey that exceeds by making all the right choices. From every scenery change, new objectives to complete and people to harass, it never ceases to delight with its pure and undeniably fun gameplay loop.
    RIpu7I3.png

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Absolutely fantastic game and an improvement on the 3ds Fire Emblem games in pretty much every way. Great character writing is what really elevates this above the other recent games. This game is everything Fates wanted to be and more. No it's not the best looking or running game on the Switch, not even the best this year, but every other aspect of the game is amazing. I have only finished Golden Deer at this point but the only thing stopping me from playing another route is knowing that other games I want to play will be pushed to the side if I did.
  2. Mario Maker 2 - I love this game. Of all the games I've played this year this is the one I keep going back to play. Making levels is fun, though I can't say I'm amazing at it, but playing other peoples levels is what I love the most. Online multiplayer mode, even as laggy as it can get, is some of the most fun I've had in a multiplayer game in years. If I didn't love Fire Emblem as much as I did this would have been an easy number 1.
  3. Pokemon Sword - Maybe my favourite in the series since Black 2/White 2. The second half is rushed and the game is not perfect but damn I loved every minute of playing it. Fantastic music, fun characters and some of the best new Pokemon in ages really help elevate this.
  4. Ring Fit Adventure - I'm not someone who ever really exercised outside of walking sometimes so the fact that this is so high on my list should tell you how good it is. I play it pretty much everyday and have yet to lose my motivation to continue. The plot is thin but fun enough to keep me wanting to see more, it's got some great music and it looks pretty good as well. Wii Fit never held my interest much but I don't see myself stopping playing this game anytime soon.
  5. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - I backed this hoping I'd get a Castlevania game and boy that's exactly what I got. This could have been called Castlevania: Ritual of the Night and would have been pretty much the exact same game. While not without flaws this is probably my favourite Metroidvania since Order of Ecclesia back on the DS. I hope IGA continues making more games like this.
  6. Luigi's Mansion 3 - This game had everything it needed to be an improvement on 2. Charming visuals and animations, fun puzzles and boss ghosts with actual personality again. Took the best parts of 1 and 2 to make the best game in the series yet.
  7. Dead or Alive 6 - I am a big fan of Dead or Alive and 6 is a very good entry into the series. Most of the major problems I had from launch have been fixed and while it still has some issues I still love playing it.
  8. Tetris 99 - Great idea executed fantastically. Easily my favourite battle royale game, love jumping in for a few matches whenever the mood hits.
  9. The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening - An incredibly solid remake of a great game. It's biggest flaw is that it at the end of the day the same game in a new coat of paint, nothing significant was added. Still a fantastic game, just wish they had added more to it.
  10. Devil May Cry 5 - To be honest chances are this would have been higher on my list if I had finished it. Everything about this game is what I wanted out of a new Devil May Cry game. Nero and Dante are fun to play and even V is enjoyable to play as. The chances of me finishing this before the end of voting is low so it gets my number 10 spot.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
  1. Pathologic 2 - An atmospheric, surrealist survival game with more ambition than anything else released for several years, never mind this one.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - A superb re-invention of the series, and one of the best survival horror games ever made.
  3. A Short Hike - Animal Crossing meets Celeste. A heartfelt and wonderfully self-contained experience.
  4. Virgo Versus the Zodiac - The best RPG of the year, mixing novel battle mechanics, lively writing and an intriguing world.
  5. SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS - An RPG of formidable depth and enormous freedom, where I've played for hours and still only feel like I've scratched the surface.
  6. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - The Metroidvania followup we've been waiting for.
  7. Little Misfortune - A dark, haunting adventure game rooted in an unhappy childhood, with one of the year's best protagonists.
  8. Rituals in the Dark - A short but extremely effective kinetic novel, telling a sinister coming-of-age tale with skill and restraint.
  9. Grimm's Hollow - A short (and free!) RPG that managed to combine ingenious gameplay with a moving storyline about loss and self-discovery.
  10. Whispers of a Machine - A classic point-and-click adventure with excellent storytelling and puzzles.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
  1. Disco Elysium - A melancholic, unrelentingly acerbic, and preeminently consumable exploration of the postmodern human condition, Disco Elysium's script is what might have resulted if Dostoyevsky, Baudrillard, and Terry Pratchett performed a three way fusion dance then sat down to write a detective novel turned adventure game. With that, striking visual design, and a staggering abundance of meaningful player choice, Disco may well be the touchstone for CRPGs of the future, and is surely 2019's shining example of literary talent in videogames.
  2. Oxygen Not Included - It's like an ant farm, only the ants are adorable little cartoon people and you run the risk of asphyxiating your entire colony because you backed up your oxygen distribution network while trying to fully automate your solar energy production. ONI stands with the likes of Rimworld, Prison Architect, and Dwarf Fortress as a highly granular and engrossing colony management sim, but with Klei Entertainment's signature visual flair. Of the games on this list, I've spent the most time with this. It's DANGEROUSLY addictive.
  3. Outer Wilds - A perfectly petite little exploration game about the value of persistence, ingenuity, and discovery and the building of meaningful connections between the past, present, and future in a seemingly indifferent universe.
  4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - An uncompromisingly kinetic character action game with the most striking audiovisual design of a Miyazaki game as of yet.
  5. Total War: Three Kingdoms - My favorite historical epoch turned into a Total War game. If that weren't enough, it's a good Total War game.
  6. Noita - It's a roguelike version of that Powder Game you used to play in computer lab in middle school. The execution of the concept alone warrants accolades, but the depth of the mechanics and the breadth of optional content secure it a place in the top ten.
  7. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - It's not as good as Symphony of the Night, but it's better than Dawn of Sorrow, which means it's only inferior to Aria and Symphony in the Igavania hierarchy. Which means it's excellent.
  8. Baba is You - I've spent enough time with this game to know it's entirely too clever for my own good.
  9. Shovel Knight: King of Cards - A satisfactory conclusion to the saga of Shovel Knight. Joustus is better than Triple Triad.
  10. Apex Legends - My favorite shooty-bang-fall-out-of-a-plane game. If nothing else, I liked it enough to have grinded out 110 levels in the first season.

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - FROM Software cements their place as the best developer of the decade with yet another masterpiece
  2. Resident Evil 2 - Replayability is off the charts, Mr. X is so well done and the weapons are perfect

I don't feel like the other games I've played this year are GOTY-worthy. Death Stranding can still change my mind as I'm still working through it but I'm doubtful on that at this point.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - the original is one of my favorite games of all time (and my second favorite zelda after breath of the wild), and playing the remake was jus as magical as playing the original game boy game. the visuals and music are beautifully made and the improvements to controls fix the one issue the original had.
  2. Super Mario Maker 2 - i never had a wii u and never played the original, so this was my first time designing a mario level. i never expected designing levels to be as fun as it ended up being, and having other people play your levels and leave comments is a really nice feeling. i also had an amazing time 100%ing the story mode.
  3. Sayonara Wild Hearts - i've been a fan of simogo (the developer) for years, always getting their mobile games day 1 and having a blast with them. seeing this game being revealed at last year's TGA was a big surprise, and i fell in love with it after seeing the first trailer. the game did not disappoint, it was an amazing [bike] ride from start to finish, with some of the best music i've ever heard in a video game.
  4. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - again, i had never played these games on the wii u so this was my first time. i know people are tired of the "new" formula for mario platformers, but i still think there's nothing quite like a 2D mario game and the two games in this package reaffirmed that opinion for me. 100%in both games took a lot longer than i expected but it was worth it.
  5. Tetris 99 - amazing surprise, and my second most played game this year. they've kept updating the game with new challenges and modes, and the single player DLC (well, just the marathon mode) has been a great time-waster. proof that no one can make a tetris game as good as arika.
  6. Yoshi's Crafted World - as someone who enjoys collectathon platformers, this game was an excellent time. there's always something more to collect and more reasons to revisit old levels, and the visual style is simply beautiful.
  7. PICROSS S3 - it's picross. i'm always going to buy these games day 1, put away everything else away for a few weeks and put 30 to 40 hours into them. this one had more puzzles and modes than the previous 2 in the S series so i had to include it in my list.
  8. Pilgrims - a neat little game from amanita design (mostly known as the developer of machinarium). the music, the animations and the humor are classic amanita and it's definitely going to keep a smile on your face for two or three hours.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
question: if i finish any game before the deadline is up and want to include it, i can just edit my list and they'll counted, right?

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
How often is this list being updated? I've noticed several of the titles I voted for which definitely released this year are still not on there
It's a manual process, but we'll get them. I've been traveling all day so I'll be starting to collect stuff starting later tomorrow

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Of all the games I played this year, I cannot think of any game more deserving of the top spot than Bloodstained. Within a few minutes of starting this game, I was in paradise. Every aspect of this game showed the love I expected and *needed* to see. The gameplay, the mechanics, the art style, the cast of characters, the setting, the atmosphere, and the music - all of them soared high. I see some folks use Metroidvania in an almost condescending way and I don't know why - most games (of any genre) wish they could come anywhere close to Bloodstained's level of excellence. I loved this game from start to finish. This is the kind of game that I would show my younger self if I had access to a time machine. It made me feel genuinely happy - not just content, not just entertained, but absolutely delighted. I was like a kid on Christmas morning. 2020 has plenty of great games in the works, but they will need to bring their absolute best to compete with this game right here.
  2. Disco Elysium - I knew nothing about this game going into it. It was on the edge of my radar and I was aware it had some buzz going, even if I didn't know the specifics of that buzz. At one point, based on what I actually knew, I am pretty sure I was even foolish enough to think "Wow, this sounds a bit messy, to be honest". When the time came that I was actually able to see it, I was stunned. The degree to which this game stands out from its competition is staggering in all the best ways. Here is a game that wanted to do something wildly different and marched down the field with that motivation. Most other games wish they could have the high quality storytelling and freedom that this game offers. Visually, the game is a feast for the eyes. I don't have enough good things to say about the art and presentation. Disco Elysium deserves high esteem for years and years to come. As far as I'm concerned, this game has already cemented its place in the RPG Pantheon. Hopefully, history proves me right.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - Nostalgia is a powerful force. The idea of a RE2 Remake excited me, but at the same time, there was that pessimist voice in the back of my mind that whispered "Maybe it won't live up to the game you knew as a boy". I wondered if Capcom could not only do justice to the original, but would give me enough (fairly) new substance into which I could sink my teeth. Well, that pessimist voice was silenced swiftly because RE2's remake surpassed all my expectations. It was incredible to see the rebirth of an amazing game. The gameplay was smooth and well-adjusted, the atmosphere retained all the dread and tension, and of course, the game looked beautiful (well, as beautiful as the zombie apocalypse can be, you know). This game was such a powerhouse that Capcom could reveal a Code Veronica remake next year and my immediate reaction would be "Shut up and take my money!"
  4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - There was a feeling a couple hours in when I realized that my familiarity with the Souls series and Bloodborne was doing me no favors, I was still getting my ass kicked. That recognition *should* have infuriated me. Instead, it made me doff my cap to this game. Right out of the gate, Sekiro made it clear it wanted me to take something away from getting knocked to the ground. It found ways to take me down a peg, and as irritating as those moments could be, they were rewarding when all the pieces came together. Granted, I still wish there was more diversity to combat styles; I can't say I had the level of freedom I would have liked. Still, the game is breathtaking. Its setting is incredible, its art design is gorgeous, and its characters definitely left an impression. By all means, bring on the successor games mimicking Sekiro!
  5. The Outer Worlds - I know a lot of folks who got burned out on this game. I was not one of them. I will freely admit that this game blatantly displays its heritage at many turns. There are sections and pieces of dialogue that immediately make one think of this game's "cousins". Still, I actually think it adds a teeny touch of charm to acknowledge one's family tree while still trying to do its own thing. The in-your-face hyper-capitalism, the sheer intimidation factor of interstellar mega-corporations wielding power, and a healthy exploration of science fiction produces a captivating blend. I found the game offered me enough freedom to explore it as I could have desired and my feelings toward it are overall positive. Plus, Parvati is one of my fav characters of the year, so that's a nice addition to the game's credit.
  6. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I am a FE greenhorn. I came into this game with the most basic understanding of what a FE entails. Within the first few hours, I became a convert to the series. Three Houses was hardly on my radar at the beginning of this year. My mind was focused on things like Bloodstained and RE2; there was precious little attention for the newest installment in a series that had always caught my eye but never actually managed to find its way into my hands. Finally, I decided to start really paying attention; thank goodness I did. This game has bolstered my preexisting love for tactical RPGs. The characters were memorable and the gameplay was delightful; I can overlook the so-so setting. I cannot wait to see what lies in store for FE. It makes me want to go back and get my hands on every single FE I can possibly obtain.
  7. A Plague Tale: Innocence - Horror stealth is one of those "Just hook it to my veins" combinations. You will always pique my interest when you lead off with those words. Still, I kept my expectations somewhat subdued; I didn't really follow any talk about this game aside from a few bits and pieces. When it finally reached my hands, I was blown away. The game shows a great deal more love went into it than most other games. You could see the effort that went into crafting certain sections and developing certain ideas. I wish every game could have such dedication to their own narratives. I would be remiss if I left Plague Tale off this list.
  8. Indivisible - I would be lying if I said this game met all my expectations. The gameplay was not the revolution I could have hoped to find. That being said, what the game did well, it did really well. There needs to be more games like Indivisible. The cast of characters was a breath of fresh air, the art style greatly appealed to the eye, the design decisions were snazzy, the attention to lore was appreciated, and the game itself serves as a strong foundation for future games that want to shoot for an exciting roster rather than the sea of lifeless paste that has remained so common.
  9. Untitled Goose Game - This game's inclusion is super easy to explain. It's cheeky fun. Some games shoot for cheeky and fail spectacularly. Untitled Goose Game hit the bullseye. It's straightforward and takes pride in entertaining. How could I possibly knock it?
  10. Devil May Cry 5 - I was never one to worship the Devil May Cry series. Don't get me wrong. Most of its games were a blast, but there was never a point in which I was desperate for more. Naturally, when DMC5 was revealed to the world, my reaction was a muted "Hey, cool!" This game delivered a fantastic experience, however, and it earned a lot more enthusiasm from me as I went along. It was strange playing the game and at various points going "Damn, I really missed this!" Its mechanics are the envy of most other games and it makes me really interested in how its influence will be felt going forward.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Only second to Bloodborne in my opinion as far as FromSoftware's games go. Not only does it bring the amazing combat we've come to expect from them to a different setting, but it also manages to bring a lot of features to the table one wouldn't expect from FromSoftware.

2. Control - Remedy pulled me in with Alan Wake, lost me with Quantum Break, then pulled me back in with Control. This game really surprised me after I thought they'd lost their way, and if the base game's anything to go by, the Alan Wake DLC releasing later this year should make this great game even greater.

3. Disco Elysium - I'm not usually one to play entirely story-based games, but the amount of choice you have in this game is incredible. I'm actually able to explain something that I recently did in the game to a friend a little bit ahead of me, and they'll go, "wait, you could do that?"

4. Apex Legends - Titanfall's great. A battle royale game made by the Titanfall devs is great. Fortnite's nice and all, but the gunplay's hot garbage. I needed a battle royale game with proper gunplay, and this game launched out of nowhere and gave that to me.

5. Path of Exile: Conquerors of the Atlas - While this expansion itself isn't all that incredible, this game keeps getting robbed in the category for games that have received the best post-launch support. It's my most-played game on Steam, and hopefully it gets the love from this forum that it deserves when 4.0 releases. It's the absolute best in its genre.

6. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - This isn't necessarily a vote for Shadowkeep as it was day 1, but instead the current season. I wasn't a fan of the Season of the Undying, but the Season of Dawn has been fantastic.

7. Resident Evil 2 - I didn't play the original. I'm sorry. Even then, this remake is great.

8. Mordhau - Giving Chivalry a run for its money.

9. Astral Chain - The 2nd PlatinumGames game I've beaten after Metal Gear Rising. There were some rough spots, but the combat and OST were amazing.

10. Luigi's Mansion 3 - I dropped Dark Moon almost immediately, whereas I beat this game the weekend it released.

11. Slay the Spire - Amazing and unique roguelike. I hate standard card games because I don't want to learn how all 100 or so unique cards in the game work together, and which ones are the best. For me, this makes the genre more easy to approach.

12. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Recency bias will cause people to put this above Sekiro. This is definitely Respawn's take on Dark Souls, and it shows just how much FromSoftware gets right with this type of game. If it weren't a Star Wars game, it wouldn't be on this list.

13. Baba is You - A really unique puzzle game, and the only game on this list I haven't beaten, not because I got bored, but because I'm a big dumb idiot.

14. Borderlands 3 - I took two days of work off for this game, and I shouldn't have. I got myself too hyped for this game. I watched a lot of pre-release footage, loved all the improvements they appeared to have made to the formula that made the previous games so successful, ignored all the reviews that said it was just more of the same, and put the game down less than a week after launch. They managed to create a story worse than the previous games, along with not really improving much of anything but the gunplay and maybe the map? There's a reason we've got such an active community here for something like Destiny 2, and not really for Borderlands 3. Once you've beaten Borderlands 3, you've pretty much seen it all. The main draw for loot-based games for me is the endgame grind, and Borderlands 3 doesn't have any of that.

15. Cadence of Hyrule - Crypt of the NecroDancer is great, and so is this. It really made me mad that we ended up with a bad remake of Link's Awakening instead of a brand-new 2D Zelda though.

16. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - I hardly played the first one, because, by the time I'd played the demo, they'd released a trailer for this one. So I waited for this one, binged it for about a week, and then never touched it again. Once you've seen one island in the game, it feels like you've seen them all. I also really dislike handholdy game, and this is the handholdiest of all them all. One would expect a little more freedom in this type of game, but nah.

17. Halo: The Master Chief Collection - This one doesn't really seem fair. If it were Halo 3, it'd be in my top 5. I wasn't a big fan of Halo: Reach when it originally came out, and I'm not a big fan of it now. 343's made a lot of questionable changes to Bungie's version of Reach, all of which are for the worse in my opinion. It also doesn't help that it just genuinely wasn't ready to launch on PC this year. There's no Forge. There's no Theater. Input doesn't work properly, especially during certain circumstances like when operating a Scorpion. The audio is completely busted. There's probably a better list of all the problems with this release out there, but they knew it wasn't ready, and here we are anyway. DMR starts is awful.

18. Call of Duty Modern Warfare - I really need to stop falling for this trap. I get hyped for CoD, pre-order it, play the alpha, play the beta, play it at launch, and realize I've made a huge mistake and I never actually liked the game in the first place. Give me the gunplay from this CoD and everything else from Black Ops 4, and I'll be happy. The art style looks nice in photos, but it makes for some awful gameplay wherein you can only really identify a player by the red nametag above their head. The best part is they've been making the game worse with just about every post-release patch.

Feb 23, 2019
  1. Death Stranding - Absolute Masterpiece. Bold and innovative in the AAA space. Powerful message that is strongly integrated into the unique gameplay systems. This is 2019's breath of the wild and a masterclass game from KojiPro with one of the most compelling ending sequences in all of gaming.
  2. Days Gone - The world of Days Gone is immensely captivating. Strong, if not familiar, gameplay interwoven with a great world and camp system coupled with a touching narrative not generally seen in large open world titles. Impressive console debut for Bend Studio.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
  1. Yooka Laylee: The Impossible Lair - Being a huge platformer and DK fan, this is definitely my game of the year. The overworld is interesting and pretty fun, but the main highlight for me are definitely the levels. They play a lot like DKTF, although the budget is of course much lower. Controls are really tight with some weight but also very fluid (roll jumping and spinning with Laylee is really fun), environments are very diverse, and the soundtrack setting the mood is also amazing. It's very much a gameplay focused game. I don't think this quite reaches DKCR or DKTF (the budget issues are noticeable in some ways, and I honestly might prefer the traditional world map style over the top down overworld) but it is one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played, and is a contender for my top 5 games of the decade.
  2. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - It's very close deciding between this and Yooka Laylee: Impossible Lair. I think Impossible Lair slightly edges it out due to the gameplay and my preference toward platformers, but Fallen Order has the more immersive and more interesting world. That really might be the main draw of the game for me, I think it's really interesting learning about all the different creatures on planets, the different enemy types, and the lore of the world itself. The Star Wars setting is also one of my favorites, and despite playing it relatively safe they do add some unique world-building to it. I don't think the gameplay is bad either, it's a little on the simple side especially regarding the non-combat sections, but combat in particular is pretty thoughtful/strategic which I prefer to hack n slash. Again, a really close competition between this and Impossible Lair, they're essentially tied as the two "standouts" of the year for me.
  3. Link's Awakening Remake - I'm a huge fan of Zelda, and this remake did give a solid Zelda experience. I do think it's on the weaker side of the 8-9 Zelda games I've played, but it's still good. There are still diverse dungeons, exploring a colorful and fantastical world, and fun gameplay. I'm not a huge fan of the art style in comparison to other Zelda games but I think it's more interesting than the average game. The same goes for the whole game really. I think in comparison to other Zelda games it's a little weaker, but compared to the average game it's just a lot more fun. It does also have a unique surreal style, being so dream-like, which stands out from other Zelda games and makes it one of the more interesting ones story concept wise. This is a bit lower than my top 2 but it's still definitely a fun game which (as usual for Zelda) can get surprisingly complex, especially in regards to dungeons.
  4. Crash Team Racing Remake - This is a pretty fun game in the style of Mario Kart. It's actually a little more challenging and complex than those games, mainly thanks to the drift/boosting system which has to be mastered to really do well. I only played the story mode so can't really speak on the multiplayer, but it was definitely a fun time. I don't think I'd put it quite on the level of Mario Kart, at least Wii or 8, because the 30 fps of this game really does make a difference for the worse. The track design itself is pretty good though, each track has a distinctive feel to it. I am a big fan of Crash in general so I enjoyed playing as the different characters. Like Crash itself, it can be surprisingly challenging, but lots of fun at the same time.
  5. Resident Evil 2 Remake - I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of horror games, so this is a bit lower than the others on the list above it. But it was pretty immersive at times, and the slower pace of the exploration and combat is interesting for a shooter game. Mr. X, zombies and lickers were genuinely tense encounters. Navigating the mansion and solving puzzles also does require some thought. Overall, a pretty good game for me.
  6. Lost Ember - I'm going to give a nod to this one, despite all the technical issues and occasional bugs/glitches. It's a game I want to really like, and probably would like a lot more if it had a bigger budget. The gameplay idea of exploring a world as different animals is one of my dream games. Unfortunately, like I said the game is really set back by its low budget and the general lack of technical polish that results, which results in just not very fun gameplay besides some instances (the hummingbird and fish sections come to mind). I would really like to see a game from this studio either with a much bigger budget, or with a smaller scope so it can really polish its ideas more, like a 2D game. But despite all these issues I still want to give it a mention just for the core concept of it, which I hope more games do in the future.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
  1. Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers - Final fantasy has always been the videogame series that I loved the most throughout my life, and i've always thought that FFIX was the perfect story and game and it would have never been topped. Shadowbringers changed that.

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
  1. Gears 5 - Amazing singleplayer campaign accompanied with a good but familiar multiplayer suite.
  2. Call of Duty Modern Warfare - The best shooting in a FPS to date. Both the singleplayer and multiplayer are equal parts good.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - A little stuck in the past but great atmosphere, world building and pacing makes this remake worth a buy.
  4. Rage 2 - Fun, redundant chaos in a rather empty wasteland but hey, it's still really fun and gorgeous.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Can I edit my list if the names don't exactly match the ones in the spreadsheet? Or are they already submitted?

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Slay the Spire - Haven't played it so much as to know all the ins and outs, but the speed at which one can take to this game and have it click is fantastic. Went through a few Ascensions with pretty different decks running with one of three characters. I love the deck variety, I love the mechanics. It gives me similar joys as Spelunky did. And that game would be in my Top 3 even in years I don't play it but once or twice.

2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I really enjoyed this game. Don't want the series to fully continue on the path set up by it, but also hope they don't fully "revert" to what it was. The strategy game portions are sort of the weak point here, and I attribute this largely due to the heavy map reuse. The whole package was fantastic, however.

3. Pokemon Sword - It's Pokémon. They cut a large chunk out. There's legitimate complaints. But it's Pokémon. I honestly enjoyed my time with Sword, because it is the most comfortable food I could ever ask for. Enough new stuff, shakeups, and lovable designs introduced that it's one of the few games this year I knew from the start that I'd finish.

4. Devil May Cry 5 - Never played a DMC before this. I loved the over-the-top zaniness. The cheesy music. The corny dialogue. It's all something I was fully there for. Oh yeah, gameplay was also fun. I suck at "style action" games though, so I was in it on Easy. Still enjoyed time greatly.

5. Tetris 99 - Tetris with a Battle Royale twist on it to make for a version that I can fully get behind. It can be cruel, and I've barely won any games, but that makes them all the sweeter. Oftentimes forget I'm against real folk, as I instead look at each game in a way not too different from the way I do a rogue like. Only wish there was a classic Tetris mode, void of Hold. Not because I want to play that, but so I could get my family on-board as well. They don't like Hold; I can't play without it!

6. Sayonara Wild Hearts - Just played this, so position is rough for me to decide. Feel this is alright though. Let me be clear, gameplay-wise? Wasn't a huge fan. There are a few levels I loved, but the majority I didn't care much for. The act of playing (curated, created) levels to music was fantastic, though. I'd totally "play my music" all the time if it was a possibility.

7. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I really wanted to love this game, but something about the combat system wasn't clicking. I'm hoping when I finally revisit the game later it does like Bloodborne and finally just "works" for me. I reached and defeated the gorilla, got totally lost after that and ended up sidetracked, not wanting too strongly to return.

8. Super Mario Maker 2 - The idea of this game is better than my time with this game. It's not terrible at all. It's "deserving" of a higher place, if I'm being honest. But my time with it simply wasn't good enough to have it grab a higher spot on my personal list.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - One of my favorite games of all time and definitely the best Fire Emblem. The gameplay is a bit weak but IS finally made a game with a good plot and absolutely amazing characters.
  2. AI: The Somnium Files - Another masterpiece by Uchikoshi. The characters are all great, Aiba is one of the best assistants in gaming and the game made me almost cry. The ending sequence is one of the best things I have ever experienced in a game.
  3. Untitled Goose Game - HONK
I didn't play many games this year :P

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
  1. Death Stranding: Fresh game concept with fun gameplay, and an interesting story set in a surreal world. I'm glad there's still games like this being made.
  2. F1 2019: My first F1 game in a long time. Great driving physics, well done career mode and decent graphics: Lots of fun to play!

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Fromsoftware masterpiece and my favourite game of all time. Best combat system i've seen and some of the best level and world design. I think it was also the hardest one yet. My only complaint is the story and characters. Other than that it's 2019 goty and it's not even close.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - Never played the original so for me this was a fresh experince and a terriyfing one. I only played 4 ,5 and 7 but i think overall this one is my favourite.
  3. Days Gone - It felt slow and boring at the start but once you go through some story missions it clicks. I like it a lot and Deacon has grown on me as a character. Can't wait to see what's up next for Days Gone.
  4. Death Stranding - It offered something new and unique but i'm not sure i wanna play something similar ever again.
  5. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - a great and disappointing game. Great because we finally get to play a good Star Wars game with a fine combat system and story. Disappointing because i expected more of everything this game had to offer but it felt like a small taste of what to come.
  6. Civilization 6: Gathering Storm - I love Civ game and 6 added a lot of features especially with the expansions.
  7. Slay the Spire - Never managed to finish it, not for the lack of trying tho. I don't even know if you're supposed to beat it. I just enjoy playing it.
  8. Katana Zero - Although sometimes it felt clunky and unresponsive, the game was fun as hell.
  9. Devotion - One of the best horror game i've played. Too bad it was delisted.
  10. Blasphemous - Gory and unsettling.

Amir Mirzaee

Sep 9, 2018
  1. Resident Evil 2
    This game exists to remind us why we fell in love with video games in the first place. Perfectly designed levels and maps to explore, sense of discovery, thrills and excitements of encountering and overcoming a challenge. In my eyes, Resident Evil 2 is the definition of video games; a playground for people to have fun in. In addition, the game tries to tell a story, and knows how and when to progress it. The story and the cutscenes, are in fact a reward to the player. I loved everything about Resident Evil 2.

2. Death Stranding
    While Resident Evil 2 reminded me of the good old days of video games, Death Stranding showed me that there's also a future for this fantastic medium. As games get more and more alike with the intention of targeting the widest audience possible, independent games have become a haven for people looking for innovation and risks. For me, Death Stranding is like an independent game that visually resembles a triple-a, big budget production. Trying to have every aspect of a game follow the same theme and convey the same message, and be logically connected to each other in every possible way, is something we rarely see in video games. Death Stranding's ambitions are bigger than I could fathom, and that's why it's not at the top of my list. I really would like to know how modern movies were treated in the 40s or 50s, by people and critics, in an era that was populated by productions that we now classify as classics. Because I think that's what Death Stranding is in comparison to today's games; an interactive adventure played in the same rectangular frame and with the same inputs, but structurally different.

3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    It's deep enough to conquer every part of your mind, it's cute enough to have your eyes glued to the screen, and it's big enough to keep you entertained for hundreds of hours, and not get repetitive.

4. Devil May Cry 5
    Second best action game of the decade. Third of all time, after Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2.

5. Astral Chain
    Third best action game of the decade.
Honorable mentions
Games I wanted to play, but didn't have time, because I was playing Diablo 3, in no order: Control, Sekiro, Baba is You, Outer Wilds, Disco Elysium, Borderlands 3, Kingdom Hearts III, The Outer Worlds, Saynoara Wild Hearts, Judgement.
I've bought like half of these, and hopefully I'll get around to playing some of them in the next month and update the list accordingly. I'm not that optimistic though, getting the Platinum Trophy for Death Stranding comes first.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
  1. Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout ; My top 4 are pretty much a wash. Any of them could have been #1 but let's go with recency bias.
  2. Astral Chain ; Fun. Feels kinda disjointed with the detective and combat sections but I didn't mind so much. If there's ever a sequel or spiritual successor I'm down.
  3. Atelier Lulua ~The Scion of Arland~ ; Maybe it's a tiny bit better or equal to Rorona but worse than Totori and Meruru. Still good though.
  4. Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists ~Ateliers of the New World~ ; Gets a lot of fun when you have more alchemists to play with and you establish a resource loop.
  5. Etrian Odyssey Nexus ; 3DS first person dungeon crawling swansong. Class selection could have been better. Goodbye, dual screen gaming. You were the best. People won't know what they're missing until it's already gone. *sniff*
  6. Fire Emblem: Three Houses ; The dorm sucks. Everything else good.
  7. Mary Skelter 2 ; It's no Etrian Odyssey but good enough. Holds up well. Exploration is snappy, but the combat could have been a bit more involved.
  8. Pokemon Sword/Shield ; Another great entry in the long-running franchise. The Pokemon roster getting Thanos'd won't ever matter. Waiting until we get the Pokemon Home to tackle the Battle Tower.
  9. Fate/EXTELLA LINK ; Wish it was longer and had better postgame content. Not much to do after beating the story in 15 hours.
  10. Gears 5 ; First game I played on a 4K TV with an X. WEW. Still can't believe Laura Bailey's all action-y now. RIP anime.
The honourable mentions that I don't want getting points
x. Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth ; At least it's got the best song of the year going for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cU61N9tC1Q
x. Metro Exodus ; Haven't started but with how good 2033 and Last Light were I'm certain Exodus stands up to all expectations.
x. The Outer Worlds ; Haven't started. It's probably good.
x. Resident Evil 2 ; Haven't started. Should be good.
x. Devil May Cry 5 ; Wasn't feeling this one. Bumping this down to easy modo to get it over with.
x. Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition ; This is so overrated. Y'all killing me here.

VbIj0Ez.jpg
q2VwP8W.jpg
NpILpSx.jpg

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - There is much to be said about From Software's latest masterpiece. For me, it's these high moments of tension and thrill, encountering a new formidable foe that tests your understanding of the combat, entering a new area marveling at the views, and constantly getting your expectations blown away. Sekiro is arguably From Software's most focused and complete experience of the decade, and while it has its similarities with the Souls-borne games, it still feels like a completely different take, a one that takes more risks than usual and keeps it fresh and enjoyable throughout.
  2. Days Gone - Days Gone has been quite an outliner from most formulaic open-world games I've played in the last decade, as I felt most of them start strong but lose their focus and become redundant. Days Gone, on paper, appears as yet another open-world game, but the more I played it the more I got immersed in the world and fell to the charm of the characters. Much as the likes of other big open-world games, Days Gone is a jack of all trades and master of none; it has good combat, good atmosphere, great world design, great characters, and a solid plot, and while it doesn't really excel in any of these, it just has so much soul and personality that it's hard not to feel the amount of thought and love the developers of this gem poured into it. This feeling, alone, makes it one of the best experiences I've had this year, and I'm eagerly waiting to see Bend Studios using the experience they gained from this expedition to create a more complete, diverse sequel.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - I've never played the original, and I'm no RE veteran as I've only played the first one's remake so far and the big gap between those remakes left me pretty much clueless of what to expect from RE2, and suffice to say, I was very pleased. Every part of it feels like a modern game yet there are bits and pieces to remind you that some of the design choices go all the way back to the '90s and none of them feel dated. RE2 is a great, refreshing action game.
  4. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - I've been waiting on a good singleplayer Star Wars game for so long, it's only fitting that Respawn would be the ones to deliver. Despite being rough around the edges with the level design falling somewhat short and the bland plot, Fallen Order remains engaging and addicting throughout. I just wish the exploration was more rewarding and the game could definitely use some meaningful side content.
  5. Control - As a long time Remedy fan I highly anticipated control. I really wanted it to be their big break and return to glory, but unfortunately, it's not quite there. The map design is all over the place and the story doesn't do nearly enough to justify its own sophistication. Control feels like a really long build-up to a big 'holy shit' moment, but then the game just ends and you're left wondering if it was really worth investing yourself into the game just to get this conclusion. Still, Control sets a high bar when it comes to close quarters third-person combat, battles are beautifully messy and memorable and the aesthetics are superb, I just wish it was so much more because I know Remedy are more than capable of doing an all-time great.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 - The level of effort Capcom put in the level design, character models and gameplay is impressive. From start to finish this game was pure survival horror masterpiece.
  2. Death Stranding - Such a unique game and a unique experience, I like new experience in gaming.
  3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Probably the best single player star wars game. Level design felt repetitive and sometimes frustrating, but story was good and gameplay was fun.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
  1. Disco Elysium - An absolutely astonishing experiment in what videogame writing could be in the future and a magnificent CRPG. It deserves all the praise it gets, one of the best games of the decade and maybe even the greatest RPG of all time.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Few games can boast such a brilliant combat system, unique and imaginative bosses, strong and coherent art design and overall creative vision. DLC please!
  3. Devil May Cry 5 - Though the level design in DMCV sucks major ass, especially late game, all the other parts of it are fantastic. I still need to try Bloody Palace, but DMC5 already earned its place thanks to memorable characters (and memes), catchy music and a complex yet manageable combat system.
  4. Baba is You - I'm too stupid for this game but I'm pretty sure this is 2019 Indie Darling, no question. Not just a meme but a surprisingly competent and innovative puzzle game too!
  5. Ape Out - APE. OUT. Very cool little experiment of dynamically generated music, bold art design and simple yet addicting gameplay.
  6. Blasphemous - It's not Hollow Knight or anything, but it's great nonetheless. Perfectly satisfied my need for "a new Dark Souls metrodvania" this year.
  7. Untitled Goose Game - If you want to deconstruct it, it's a very simple and even mundane game. However, I can't deny I had a lot of fun with it, and then all the memes too. Memorable and lighthearted, this game definitely earns a spot.
  8. Super Mario Maker 2 - I don't have a Switch (hopefully getting one maybe in 2020, but I also have to get a VR headset and you know shit's expensive), but watching the god gamer MoonMoon_OW playing through the endless mode was one of the most entertaining things in 2019 for me. Here's to his return to this game!

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - One of the most interesting and original games I've played in many years, as well as the longest play sessions I've had of a game since high school probably. A game I'll never forget.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - A hell of a start to 2019, and probably the perfect blend of modern a classic horror design. Excellence.
  3. Control - This game immaculately blends its style and action to be one of the most cohesive and well realized action games in a good while.
  4. Luigi's Mansion 3 - One of the most charming and fun trips down nostalgia lane I've had. I always wanted a fully realized sequel to the GameCube original, and we finally got one.
  5. Sekiro - Just a solid blend of the souls style and action rpg genres. You truly feel accomplishment through the many perils and boss fights.
  6. Days Gone - Facing down 400 Zombies in a dynamic open world with a great character like Deacon was far more thrilling than people gave the game credit. Truly an underrated open world game.
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - I was so happy to finally get to experience the classic game and reimagined in a way that would make it far more accessible and interesting in a modern context.
  8. Metro: Exodus - A truly atmospheric and moody first person shooter. I absolutely loved the addition of small sandbox areas to explore.
  9. Pathologic 2 - Not what I would call a "pleasant" game, but endlessly fascinating and ultimately extremely compelling.
  10. Devil May Cry 5 - Style style style. What a badass action game. Loved the goofiness. Only weak spot was the level design.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Sea of Thieves: Anniversary Edition - Rare best game and one of my favorite games thus generation
  2. Death Stranding - Best Kojima game since MGS3
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Almost Bloodborne quality
  4. Luigis Mansion 3 - Switch GOTY
  5. Ace Combat 7 - best flight game in 20 years
  6. Resident Evil 2 - A great remake
  7. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Really replayable

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
  1. Resident Evil 2 - My favourite Resident Evil game since RE4. They managed to remake one of my favourite games of all time and possibly make it better.
  2. Mortal Kombat 11 - This is probably the best Mortal Kombat's fighting system has ever been. Also the best looking fighter I've ever played.
  3. Apex Legends - This game came out of nowhere for me. This is the most fun I've had online in ages. Absolutely love the characters and it has some of the best gunplay ever. This is the only battle royale game I've really enjoyed.
  4. Devil May Cry 5 - Devil May Cry is finally back! Gorgeous graphics and great gameplay. The best DMC since DMC3. Let's hope for Lady, Trish and Vergil DLC!
  5. Death Stranding - My favourite Kojima game since MGS3. It has some pacing issues, but this is an experience I won't be forgetting any time soon.
  6. Shenmue 3 - Shenmue I and II are two of my favourite video games, I had been waiting 18 years for III, and it's finally here. It's not revolutionary like the original game was back in 1999, but it's still Shenmue to the bone and as a longtime fan this has been an experience that I will probably never have again.
  7. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - I think this may be my favourite Castlevania-esque game since Symphony of the Night. It has its bugs and glitches, but I'm very happy Koji Igarashi got to continue making these games.
  8. Life is Strange 2 - I didn't enjoy this as much as the original game, but it still has its moments and it has an important message for today's world.
  9. Gears 5 - One of the most impressive looking games out at the moment. While the game itself didn't blow me away, I enjoyed it more than 4 and think The Coalition have the potential to make a Gears game as good as the original trilogy.
  10. Call of Duty Modern Warfare - The original Modern Warfare is one of my favourite FPS games, so I was anticipating this reboot of the series quite a bit. While not as great as the original game, this is one incredible looking game, and probably the most solid CoD campaign since MW3 for me. I enjoyed the online quite a bit too even with its issues.

Still need to get around to playing some games (namely Control, Jedi Fallen Order and Sekiro), but this is how I feel so far.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
  1. Death Stranding - More relaxing than a walk through the forest. BB is my buddy.
  2. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Lightsabers and difficulty choices make this my favorite Souls Like
  3. Resident Evil 2 - Vastly superior to the original.
  4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I couldn't even beat Lady Butterfly but still I appreciate what it is. .
  5. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - The best untitled Goose game.
  6. VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action - Came for the drinks, stayed for the androids.
Did play a few more but nothing I would consider GOTY material.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Outer Wilds - An absolutely wonderful game. A superlative blend of exploration, puzzle solving and story telling with some of the most unique and creative world design that I have ever seen. Add in a lovey soundtrack and this is not only my GOTY but my game of the generation and one of my favourites of all time.
  2. Crackdown 3 - Fuck the critical and general consensus, this game is a ton of fun. The world feels fake, the story might as well not exist and the driving is pretty shit. However, despite that I had more pure fun with this game than I have with any other in a long time. Platforming around collecting orbs and blowing up mechs is just so damn satisfying. Easily the most underrated game I have ever played.
  3. Lonely Mountains: Downhill - a lovely little indie game with tight gameplay, nice art style and some great level design

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
  1. Baba is You - One of the cleverest and most brain melting puzzle games I've ever played. Being able to mess with the rules and the simplistic art style really endeared me to the whole game
  2. Untitled Goose Game - Some people think it's just a meme game, but it doe everything it sets out to do without any bloat, and is super accessible to people who aren't that experienced with games. Also, utterly hilarious.
  3. The Outer Wilds - Being able to explore a micro-universe while also solving mysteries in a time loop is a great combination and I constantly fell into a 'just one more cycle' mentality
  4. Sayonara Wild Hearts - The best album I've been able to play. Short and sweet.
  5. Disco Elysium - The writing is exceptional and keeps me drawn into the world
  6. Resident Evil 2 - I was wavering on whether this could really live up to my experience with the original game but I'm happy to report that the over the shoulder perspective worked really well for me this time out.
  7. Heaven's Vault - Another game about exploring and solving mysteries. No time loop this time but some fantastic writing
  8. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Just another fun trip with the better Mario brother. The levels were well designed, it had fun and varied boss fights and there was buckets full of charm throughout
  9. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Not generally a fan of SRPGs or anime aesthetics but the setting really sold me on the game, and the different routes were well told and gave a new perspective on the overall story
  10. A Short Hike - Just a nice chill game that I was able to completely relax with. Scratched an Animal Crossing-shaped itch as well

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Sekiro Shadows Die Twice - Miyazaki devliring yet again with the best game this year.
  2. Darksiders Genesis - Biggest suprise for me this year, a top down Darksiders game that lacks nothing that made the original so good.
  3. Control - The Finnish gods demand it.
  4. Disco Elyisum - Best writnig in a game in a long, long time.
  5. Resident Evil 2 - That's how you do a proper remake.

Deleted member 8136

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
  1. Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition - Larian perfected the formula, this is the pinnacle of the genre
  2. Slay the Spire - I hate this game. With a passion. Because I'm always coming back to it, and probably sunk more time into it than anything else.
  3. Civilization 6: Gathering Storm - The perfect podcast game. Keeps you constantly engaged without ever getting hectic or boring.
  4. The Outer Worlds - A Love Letter to classic RPGs. Amazing world that's keep you interested every minute.
  5. Gears 5 - Interesting take on the franchise. Not perfect, but keeps me wishing for more.
  6. Metro Exodus - Love the books, which are perfectly translated to the medium. This franchise is living proof that shooters can tell engaging stories.
  7. Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - Surprise of the year for me. My only complaint is, that it could and should be longer.
  8. Frostpunk: Console Edition - Great translation to console.
  9. Control - looks great, plays okay, but I miss the storytelling of former Remedy games
  10. Untitled Goose Game - Honk!

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
  1. Control - Remedy does it again. They delivered a mind-bending action-packed shooter game where nothing is as it seems and everything is weird as hell. The Ashtray Maze is an amazing victory lap, and one of gaming's all-time highlights.
  2. The Outer Worlds - Obsidian shows that an RPG doesn't need to have a massive open world to be enjoyable. With some great humor and excellent characters, this game deserves all the praise it's getting.
  3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - An intriguing journey across the Star Wars-universe, made by the minds that crafted Titanfall 2. The game has its rough spots, but deserves your time nonetheless.
  4. Pokémon Sword/Shield - While perhaps a bit underwhelming as the first mainline Pokémon game for a home console, Sword and Shield still deliver a highly enjoyable experience.
  5. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - Shadowkeep takes the Forsaken-approach and makes it a bit more accessible, making for an infinitely more enjoyable experience. Its story begins steering us towards Destiny's endgame, with an early moment in particular standing out as a hair-raising preview of what is to come.
  6. Metro Exodus - This game never reaches the height of its predecessor, but tries some new things with the formula that work better than expected.
  7. Gears 5 - Gears 5 takes the formula and further refines it. Its hub worlds are unneccessary and some of the story choices are quite odd, but Gears 5 still manages to be a fun game. Chainsawing dudes never gets old.

Status
Not open for further replies.