• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice: From Software knocked it out the park with another action rpg with smart lvl design, satisfying action and memorable bosses
  2. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne: MHW was my 3rd favorite game of last year and the expansion improves on the base game and adds some classic monsters and interesting new mechanics. Absolutely love playing this
  3. Devil May Cry 5: a fantastic character action game with great graphics, a good mix of enemies to beat up, some pretty cool bosses and a decent conclusion to the Son of Sparda story.
  4. Resident Evil 2 Remake: I've never been a huge fan of horror games but this ione impressed me enough to get me hyped the next remake.
  5. Astral Chain: Another satisfying action game but from the makers of Bayonetta 2. I loved my time with the game. This is definitely a must buy for any Switch owners who are itching for a good action beat em up
  6. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order: I view this game as a Sekiro lite with force powers and a more straightforward story. I definitely enjoyed my time with this game and it feels good finally playing a SW thats compently made
  7. Outer Worlds: Obsidian definitely managed to scratch my Fallout itch with this smaller in scope yet higher in quality project. The writing is hilarious and the characters are engaging. Combat is pretty good and the story is pretty interesting thus far
  8. Kingdom Hearts 3: This was easily one of if not my most anticipated game this year. And while it certainly didn't live up to those expectations, I can't say I didn't have a grin on my face playing through all the worlds. Sure the story has its issues but the combat is such a spectacle that it made playing this game worthwhile
  9. Pokemon Sword and Shield: My first Pokemon game in 12 years and overall I had a decent amount of fun. Wasn't anything amazing but it was enjoyable enough

I do wish to play through Fire Emblem, Outer Wilds, Katana 0, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Control, and Death Stranding eventually but for right those are all the games I played in 2019

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

Last edited by a moderator:

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
  1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - One of the best JRPGs I've played this gen. Fantastic story, great world building, fun combat system, and awesome soundtrack make this a must play for any JRPG fan.
  2. Judgment - Has the familiar Yakuza feel and charm, but also offers something new in terms of story and gameplay.
  3. MLB The Show 19 - The game is consistently great year after year.
  4. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered - Beautiful visuals + heartwarming story.
  5. Death Stranding - A game that succeed in bringing something unique and fresh to the AAA space.
  6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Best COD campaign in a long time. Great gunplay and sound design.
  7. The Outer Worlds - Fallout-like, but without the jank.
  8. Blood & Truth - Best VR game I played this year. A total adrenaline rush.
  9. Concrete Genie - A game with a great message. Beautiful art style.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
modern-1300x731.jpg

1. Control - Remedy are again one of my favorite developers after losing my interest. I just really loved the theme and the overall effort that went into the story and ideas surrounding them. Kinda feeds into my personality and how I feel about the fucked up world we actually live in.
  2. Disco Elyisum - This game should be played by everyone. That is all I have to say.
  3. Outer Wilds - Flew under the radar. The outer worlds came out around the same time and people confused the 2 games. This is the one you should have played.
  4. Resident Evil 2 - I think Capcom has been doing a great job remaking this series. I personally like REmake better. I think it is the better title. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  5. Apex Legends - I hate shooters. Ive hated first person shooters for nearly 8 years now. They just feel so void of imagination and im tired of gun culture. I gave this a try and loved it. I play it solo even though this demands a focused 3 man team. I put countless hours into this game and I dunno how I let a FPS steal so many hours of my life after pretty much denouncing them. Good job Respawn!

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Devil May Cry 5 - The greatest action game of this year, and may end up my top game when all is said and done.
  2. Judgment - A controversial opinion, but this is the greatest Yakuza game thus far. The story and characters elevate the game and it truly stands on the shoulders of the giants in the Yakuza series that came before it.
  3. AI: The Somnium Files - A shockingly good comeback for Uchikoshi, even if certain things were over the top, the game was original, well executed and bizarre (in a good way.)
  4. Ring Fit Adventure - If I were to count games that made an impact on my life overall, this would be number 1. I love the idea of using RPG mechanics that typically are exploitative in phone games to get numbers higher, to motivate one to achieve their own goals, rather than spend all their money
  5. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Truly a great new way of making a souls-like without being THAT souls like. Refresh the formula without tossing everything out.
  6. Astral Chain - The SECOND best character action game of the year. It's biggest crimes are not doing more with its interesting world and reusing the same battleground again and again.
  7. Cadence of Hyrule - A rhythm game in my favourite series, what isn't there to love?
  8. Pokemon Shield - LOVED this game for what it was. Truly a return to form, in my opinion
  9. Wargroove - A very cute strategy game that probably would've been higher if it weren't a near mechanic-for-mechanic reskin of advance wars. Still, I'm grateful for this game and it scratched the itch.
  10. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Hard to quantify this one, if I'm honest. A game with superb theming and presentation that's honestly kind of boring when played alone. Quite fun played Co-Op, which is what earns it the place on the list.
  11. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Not a bad game, by any stretch of the imagination, in fact I really enjoyed it. I guess, like Wargroove, my issue with it was how unoriginal it felt.
  12. Resident Evil 2 - Would have been my number 5 if it had been an entirely new experience, but feels wrong giving it a true spot on my list as a result.
  13. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Like RE2 above it, it would have been just below RE2 if I included remakes, but alas. Was nice to finally understand why the game is loved though, tried playing it multiple times and just couldn't get into it until this remake.
  14. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Controversial opinion, but this game was rough. Dragged myself through one route and found it to be a passable game. That said, I'm aware my FE opinions are the opposite of the fan base since my faves are Echoes and Sacred Stones.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice: From Software knocked it out the park with another action rpg with smart lvl design, satisfying action and memorable bosses
2. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne: MHW was my 3rd favorite game of last year and the expansion improves on the base game and adds some classic monsters and interesting new mechanics. Absolutely love playing this
3. Devil May Cry 5: a fantastic character action game with great graphics, a good mix of enemies to beat up, some pretty cool bosses and a decent conclusion to the Son of Sparda story.
4. Resident Evil 2 Remake: I've never been a huge fan of horror games but this ione impressed me enough to get me hyped the next remake.
5. Astral Chain: Another satisfying action game but from the makers of Bayonetta 2. I loved my time with the game. This is definitely a must buy for any Switch owners who are itching for a good action beat em up
6. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order: I view this game as a Sekiro lite with force powers and a more straightforward story. I definitely enjoyed my time with this game and it feels good finally playing a SW thats compently made
7. Outer Worlds: Obsidian definitely managed to scratch my Fallout itch with this smaller in scope yet higher in quality project. The writing is hilarious and the characters are engaging. Combat is pretty good and the story is pretty interesting thus far
8. Kingdom Hearts 3: This was easily one of if not my most anticipated game this year. And while it certainly didn't live up to those expectations, I can't say I didn't have a grin on my face playing through all the worlds. Sure the story has its issues but the combat is such a spectacle that it made playing this game worthwhile
9. Pokemon Sword and Shield: My first Pokemon game in 12 years and overall I had a decent amount of fun. Wasn't anything amazing but it was enjoyable enough.

I do wish to play through Fire Emblem, Outer Wilds, Katana 0, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Control, and Death Stranding eventually but for right those are all the games I played in 2019

Check your formatting. Use 'ordered number list' from the post menu bar.

Cal

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Respawn knocked it out of the park again. After Titanfall 2's depressingly short campaign, I knew they'd end up scratching that itch properly down the line. Never expected it to be a Star Wars game, but here we are.
  2. Outer Wilds - I can't believe I got this for a free from a E3 2018 pre-order signup.
  3. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled - Beautifully crafted recreation/remake of some of the best arcade racing games out there, with plenty of new content. Shame about the micro transactions, but still solid.
  4. Devil May Cry 5 - Not as good as DmC: Devil May Cry :)
  5. The Outer Worlds - The Fallout game we should have got.
  6. Apex Legends - A lovely Respawn surprise.
  7. Halo: The Master Chief Collection - Brilliant port and remaster of the best Halo game (Reach)
  8. Call of Duty Modern Warfare - The best COD since Black Ops 2.
  9. Tetris 99 - This works, and works so well.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
I'm simultaneously glad that Sayonara Wild Hearts is ending up on more lists than I expected, and upset that a great amount of people on this forum have not played it.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
  1. Disco Elysium - I don't exactly know what ZA/UM were going for but goddamn does this game feel like a concept well realised. Revachol comes across as a real sad and terrible place. The systems work fantastically well. The only issue I have is there might be too much writing. There were definitely conversations I just wanted to get through to get to the next beat. But it's hard to hold that against the game when that's kind of the point.
  2. Total War: Three Kingdoms - I've loved the Total War series for years and while there is less individuality between the factions when compared to the Warhammer entries, diplomacy/politics actually feels like a legitimate and fun part of the game. While this is the most fun I had with a game this year. I was torn between putting this or DE in first spot. I ended up putting DE there as it feels really fresh.
  3. Mordhau - I played this while I was off work for two weeks nonstop and I haven't touched it again. It was glorious. Every now and then I think I should get back to it but by now everyone else will be fucking monsters. I dunno why I haven't seen it on many other lists. (not listed in the spreadsheet WTF).
  4. Void Bastards - Great style and the gameplay loop is "just one more run" perfected. Sometimes a run will just straight up kill you but most of the time when I fail I feel like it was due to my poor planning.
  5. Apex Legends - I kinda dropped Apex Legends after I started putting time into Borderlands. But between February and September Apex was my jam. I was playing almost daily for a while, never more than a match or two. While it never gave me the same highs as PUBG it also didn't have the downtime between matches that made PUBG has.
  6. The Outer Worlds - This was my most anticipated game of 2019. I love obsidian and what they do and in most ways The Outer Worlds delivered but there is an issue with the ratios, too many things to pick up but it all feels generic, decent combat but a lack of interesting weaponry, probably the biggest issue was how cookie cutter the areas felt. All in all I still really enjoyed my play through, but this was a game I thought I would be playing a bunch of times. I beat it and haven't been back.
  7. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - It's the Castlevania sequel I've been waiting for. I backed this years ago and while it looked like it might go the way of Mighty Number 9 for a while there it all came together so well. I'm very happy with the outcome.
  8. Samurai Showdown – What an interesting fighter and what a return to form.
  9. Borderlands 3 - I wasn't going to buy BL3 but one of my friends who barely plays videogames anymore wanted someone to play with so I bought it. I haven't been disappointed. The shooting is still fantastic and the builds can really change up your playstyle. Initially I told myself I'd just play when my friends were one but eventually once we were done with the mediocre story I kept playing, and grinding out guns.
  10. Remnant: From the Ashes -This is a bit of a questionable choice as I haven't beaten it yet. And I'm still playing through it when I find the time between playing BL3 and GTA with my friends. I started playing this because I saw it on Game Pass a few weeks ago and I remembered a positive response to it at release. It's a surprisingly good little third person shooter. The gunplay feels pretty good and the RPG elements actually add to the experience and don't make it feel bloated.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
  1. Disco Elysium - Impeccable writing, memorable characters and a unique world. Less cRPG than it would appear in screenshots, but absolutely deserving of a spot at the pinnacle of the genre.
  2. Total War: Three Kingdoms - A Total War game with a strategic layer to match the tactical layer of Total Warhammer. If it gets even half of the love that Warhammer has received over the years it'll probably be my favorite historical entry in the series.
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Not my favorite From Software game, but even that ranks above most other offerings.
  4. Outer Wilds - A game about exploring a universe in a way that only videogames can. More than any other game this year I hope that the core tenants of Outer Wilds find their way into future game design basics.
  5. Heaven's Vault - Games that make a puzzle out of the narrative of their world usually end up pretty high on my list.
  6. A Short Hike - Pure and emotional in the same was as something like To the Moon, if maybe a bit less sad. Worth your 2-3 hours for sure.
  7. Baba Is You - Yeah it makes me feel really dumb all the time but also extremely smart just often enough.
  8. Planet Zoo - I'm so awful at almost every part of this game but I enjoy it nonetheless. It's rare to find games that are this unabashedly happy, and all the animals do a great job helping with that. My young daughter and I will be playing this for years, I think.
  9. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - More good content for the only shooter I feel any need to play. Keep giving me awesome skyboxes and cool new guns and I'll keep paying up, Bungie.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
h3wF5bY.png

1. Hypnospace Outlaw - Endearing, subversive, delightfully absurd and deeply human, Hypnospace Outlaw is the one that climbed into the back of my head in early 2019 and never went away. The setting, an alternate reality late 90's internet portal, is as good as it sounds on paper, a fully realized ecosystem of online presences that avoids the pitfalls of cheap parody with detailed and entertainingly original world building at every turn.

You're a new moderator on the Hypnospace team, a voyeuristic detective tasked with stamping out petty infringement. The pages you browse are lovingly crafted relics, hilarious one minute and heart tugging the next, an aesthetic nightmare in the best way possible. The desktop interface becomes a psychedelic funhouse of its own as you clutter it with useless customization, install weird apps and download in-universe music from questionable sources for your skinned mp3 player. The narrative surrounding the bickering employees in your inbox initially takes a back seat but as you solve puzzles, gain new abilities and time passes a central plot comes into focus, thematically reinforced by observing the interactions and page activity of the Hypnospace faithful and the corporate interests that reside alongside.

The game continues to evolve and surprise until the end, both mechanically and emotionally, peeling back new layers until it's all laid bare. Parallels to how far we've come in 20 years can be drawn but are never forced within the context of the world, which remains an earnest time capsule. And the impression it ultimately leaves - OS and browser fueled nostalgia from a dream, an internet rabbit hole in my parents' basement at 3am - is as comforting and haunting as the real thing.

2. Disco Elysium - It was Day 3 by the fishing village when I became fully convinced that my horrific necktie had a plan, Contact Mike was the greatest of all time and that Disco Elysium was pretty special. As an RPG that's secretly a point-and-click adventure with dress up and dice rolls, the way your character build and psychological profile comes to life by means of a sentient skill dialogue system is worth the price of entry alone. The writing, which there is quite a bit of, is not far behind - rich and lyrical prose, funny descriptions and response options, political quandaries, colorful characters and arguably the most effective portrayal of inner turmoil and insight that gaming has to offer.

3. Anno 1800 - Anno 1404 was a revelatory city builder upon release in 2009, a leisurely pursuit of construction, trade and maritime exploration that consumed me in a way the genre hadn't since the heady Maxis days. 10 years later, Anno 1800 is the first in the series to fully recapture that magic, a triumph of iteration built for longevity. The uglier realities of the era are smudged out without feeling disrespectful and the impact of class on society as the world modernizes is a major theme. The extensive campaign is enjoyable but sandbox mode is where it's at - tinkering away at production lines and trade routes, squeezing out the competition and forging expeditions into uncharted territory deep into the night.

4. Outer Wilds - A slow burn mystery with frontier spirit, one that understands the existential terror and awe of space exploration and embraces it with open arms. The clockwork solar system ticks away, meticulously designed to be poked and prodded at for shards of new information one Groundhog Day at a time, recontextualizing itself as you understand more and the pieces start to fit. It sticks the landing too, elevating the entire experience along with it.

5. Control - Sometimes you just need a video game ass video game, a briskly paced third person shooter with cool visuals that scratches familiar itches while still feeling fresh and interesting throughout. Control is exactly that - a Remedy joint of the highest caliber complete with internal monologuing, paranormal intrigue, fast, powerful combat and some of my favorite narrative table setting in years.

6. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - A sprawling and multifaceted strategy epic. The depth of themes, narratives and relationships are a high water mark for the series, and the varied gameplay mechanics all play nicely with each other, creating a symbiotic relationship between downtime and combat. Top notch presentation as well, with a cohesive look and feel and a strong cast across both language options.

7. Total War: Three Kingdoms - The most eclectic and elegant Total War to date, taking design cues from across the strategic landscape to bring to life a compelling and well known historical saga in style. With its 4X rhythms, Romance mode and focus on diplomacy and role playing, Three Kingdoms was the gateway I needed to turn an intimidating series into one that makes hours disappear on the regular.

8. Sayonara Wild Hearts - My first playthrough of Sayonara Wild Hearts was exhilarating, an arcadey audiovisual trip with genuine emotional payoff. The soundtrack wormed its way into my brain shortly thereafter. Like experiencing a vivid, interactive dream that leaves you satisfied and recharged.

9. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Dismantling interactive environments for secrets remains a strong hook and the third entry in the series is the defining one, with varied and creative level design that continually finds new ways to impress. It's also unexpectedly the closest Nintendo has come to giving us a Mushroom Kingdom CGI movie. Props to Next Level Games, animation gods, and Charles Martinet who brings his A game.

10. Death Stranding - At its best the traversal takes on a meditative quality, one delivery at a time, as the harsh but beautiful landscape becomes slowly tamed by each new piece of infrastructure and man-made clutter contributed by the community. Mechanically dense, surreal and unique.

11. Eastshade - Elder Scrolls inspired design with painting and light crafting instead of pesky combat. Cozier than a warm blanket and some Earthroot Tea by the fire.
  12. Ring Fit Adventure - Sets a new bar for fitness games, both in its RPG structure and clever use of the pilates ring peripheral. Still incorporating sessions into my workouts months later.
  13. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - The swordplay, feedback and movement systems are arguably best in class for the genre, built around a parrying mechanic that feels great to pull off. Focused brilliance.
  14. Judgment - RGG Studio are some of the best storytellers in the business and Judgment, a thriller at the crossroads of politics, medicine and law, just may be my favorite to date.
  15. Sunless Skies - The other contemplative delivery game of 2019, and a worthy sequel that's just as imaginative and intriguingly written as its predecessor. My appreciation continues to grow the more time I spend with it.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - the best FE game in over a decade and a great SRPG in its own right. It quickly became my most played Switch game with a huge amount of content over 4 different routes, and I still haven't touched half of them. The characters are some of the best in the series, the story pulls off its bold premise almost perfectly, and the gameplay makes some serious changes to the typical formula that overall enhances the experience. While it isn't flawless, it's enjoyable, addictive, and is the most excited I've been with the series in a long time.
  2. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Castlevania from an alternate timeline. A worthy successor to those games with a bunch of ways to build the main character, a fun map to explore, fun and challenging gameplay, and amazing music.
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Koholint Island and its inhabitants come alive in this remake. While it doesn't replace the original for me, it does it justice and is a great way to experience this adventure.
  4. Resident Evil 2 - as far as remakes go, it seems the RE series can do no wrong. This is an incredible retelling that gets pretty much everything right.
  5. Dragon Quest XI Definitive Edition - while I haven't played too far into it, it's already clear that this is a must play for classic JRPG fans. It's been a while since I last played a DQ game but it captures that 90s nostalgia and brings it up to current gaming standards.

Honourable mentions:
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age and Final Fantasy X/X-2 - I had a blast replaying these on the Switch, and just the fact that these Final Fantasy games released on a Nintendo system this year was hugely epic for me. I won't count them since the Switch versions don't really add anything particularly groundbreaking but I still wanted to mention them.

SuperMario

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - Revolutionary. Kojima's best work yet. A perfect marriage between gameplay and narrative and one of my most memorable experiences in the last years of gaming.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - The new twist of the Soulsborne formula couldn't be better. More story-focused and with its own identity gameplay wise, Sekiro is one of the best From Software games, and that's saying something.
  3. Pokémon Sword - The first home console, HD entry on the main saga could have been great, but it's just very good and a lot of fun to play. New mechanics such as the Wild Area are a very welcome novelty.
  4. Resident Evil 2 - Never in my wildest dreams could I have hoped for such a good remake. Gets everything right about the original and improves in all the aspects a remake should. Really impressive.
  5. Untitled Goose Game - Being evil was never this fun.

This year I played less than I'm used to, still have to go through Jedi Fallen Order and Luigi's Mansion 3, but I'll get there.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Fantastic gameplay, huge content, one of the best SRPGs of all time.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - Classic Resident Evil is always a favorite of mine, and this is something i thought won't be really possible again! Mr.X is fantastic game design too.
  3. Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair - I never imagined this would turn out to be this good, it even feels closer to Rare's golden age games than Retro's own DKC games. this is a platforming masterpiece.
  4. Super Mario Maker 2 - This game is doing for 2D Mario what Galaxy did for 3D Mario, it is very creative and endless fun.
  5. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - From Software proved time and time again they are kings of action games, this is no exception. crossing swords never felt as good as Sekiro.
  6. Dragon Quest XI S - Still playing through it but I'm enjoying it a lot, a classic, old school, magical Japanese rpg.
  7. Luigi's Mansion 3 - One of the best Switch games overall and would've placed it higher if it was a bit more challenging. exploration has never been better than this.
  8. Katana Zero - It was obvious gameplay was going to be good but the real surprise was the story, this game is a true gem.
  9. Metro Exodus - Storytelling was really good compared to other FPS games, graphics were superb, and the atmosphere is dark and great.
  10. Valfaris - indie surprise of the year to me. just a great action game all around.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Like Bloodborne, From's last Souls spin-off, this game is more tightly focused on a single play style vs. Souls' choose-your-own-type design. Its fast-paced, counter-focused combat left many fans, like myself, almost starting from scratch to learn how to "get good". After many hours, I mastered it, but also discovered it's not quite as narrow in design as it seems. Some enemies can be beaten without the close-in, unforgiving combat that the design at first seems to require. And what at first seems like a game very limited in scope, a Samurai setting that doesn't particularly interest me, soon expands into a more ambitious realm of giant snakes, monkey demons, sentient centipede parasites, and a strange time-travelling/dream interface that I don't quite understand. It's crazy, and it all adds up to the year's best game in both the story and especially the gameplay department.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - The best Remake since REmake, the Gamecube upgrade of Resident Evil 1, which was unquestionably the best remake ever. Until now, perhaps. This remake of RE2 abandons the fixed camera angles of the original for a RE4-style over-the-shoulder view, but without abandoning the tense pacing and tight spaces of the original. The result is a game balancing on the razor edge between horror and action, a line which it walks very effectively. It's hard to imagine this remake turning out any better.
  3. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Let's not beat around the bush: this is a re-skinned Symphony of the Night. And that is a good thing. Sure, there's a bit more added in the mix, but at its core, this is a Castlevania game in all but name. And it's perhaps the best one since Symphony. I found myself riveted from start to finish.
  4. Celeste - This finally released on a physical Switch card late this year (I preordered Jan 1st), but it was worth the wait. It's quite a unique, and uniquely challenging, platformer. Its art style and simple but intriguing story are quite charming, and the game had me hooked so well that I played through to the end in no time.
  5. Baba is You - This is the most innovative puzzle game design I've seen in a long time. It's clever, but simple, and yet the challenge ramps up quickly as the game puts in more and more twists.
  6. Control - The run-and-gun slash psychic powers gameplay of Control is hardly new, but it is solid. The setting and story, though, give the game a unique identity. The amusingly-written pickups, audio logs, and videos add color to an otherwise somber tone. And the game layers mystery upon mystery to keep us interested in what answers might be forthcoming by the time the game ends. A standout effort, and a welcome original game.
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - A remake of the game that sold me on the original Game Boy. Link's Awakening was not only a fun, charming game, but also a blueprint for making portable games with length and depth. This remake holds on to the charm, but even with obvious improvements such as more buttons, the design does show its age.
  8. Trials Rising - It's just more Trials. But of course, that's a good thing.
  9. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - This would be a better game without the mandated character interactions, but it's still Fire Emblem's fun strategy once you're allowed to play.
  10. Pico Park - This cute local multiplayer-only platformer is more fun, the more people you can gather to play it. My wife insisted we have Game Day just to try it out with more people.

Kyle Key

Apr 15, 2018
  1. Disco Elysium -
    49262926816_4e6ce4f693_o.png
    Disco Elysium combines industry-leading writing, a wide breadth of role-playing options, a nice graphical style that frequently looks hand-painted, and an intriguing detective story ultimately about personal loss, into a title that ranks among the greatest of all time in the genre.
    Dozens of unique skills and perks double as physical abilities, mental faculties, and personality traits which integrate into the dialogue system; this essentially leads to your character saying and thinking hilarious, weird, embarrassing, insightful and poignant things during every interaction, whether opportune or not.
    The plot moves in a largely compelling direction, confronting a range of social, political and economic ideologies along the way, and although the resolution of the central crime that you're funneled toward could've been handled better, one particular -- and optional -- late-game scene thoroughly illuminates your detective's emotional trauma and serves as an affective conclusion. Some typos and a lack of full voice acting don't detract much from the experience and should probably be expected in a one million word script.
    Given that almost every action aside from walking and changing equipment is relayed through text, those averse to heavy reading won't find much on offer here, but for literature lovers, the deep lore and world-building flavor a new universe which is ripe for a sequel.
  2. Death Stranding -
    49262456913_681722d5bb_o.png
    Despite the high-stakes story of trying to reconnect the isolated cities of the U.S. in the wake of the emergence of other-worldly apparitions and seemingly supernatural phenomena affecting the landscape, weather patterns, and death itself, Death Stranding's pace is very methodical for the most part, which is exactly what I wanted from the title.
    Its technically exemplary graphics, mood-appropriate soundtrack, excellent motion and voice capture performances (bar one or two that grate), mostly intriguing lore and plot points, and focus on mutually aiding others through asynchronous multiplayer kept it in my thoughts until the credits rolled.
    That the journey itself is the biggest puzzle and the gorgeous landscape the greatest obstacle is unique among open world games and an almost meditative experience. The late-game plot becomes overly outlandish, but the final chapter reels it back and sends Sam Bridges's story out on a touching personal note.
  3. Arise: A Simple Story -
    49262457868_f882007a03_o.png
    Arise is an arresting audio-visual spectacle in the vein of Journey or Abzu, with more developed platforming and puzzle elements, and, as the title indicates, a simple, wordless, emotionally resonant narrative reflecting the highs and lows of an old man's life. The mechanics can occasionally feel frustratingly imprecise, but the experience is well worth seeing through.
  4. Life Is Strange 2 -
    49263125972_28ee100b5e_o.png
    Developer Dontnod's newest narrative adventure game is in many ways superior to the first; it features greatly improved graphics, more natural dialogue, a much wider variety of locations, weightier choices that lead to a larger amount of endings, and fewer bugs and technical issues (I can't recall encountering any), while retaining the series's frequent interpersonal drama and tense moments where your powers come into play. Every character is fully voice acted, and every location has dozens of optional objects to examine for your character to comment on, providing as much backstory and world building as you're interested in. This is a great title to play through with a friend or significant other on the couch, with one person controlling the action and the other making choices and pointing out things that might be overlooked. The story of the Diaz brothers' journey to escape the police down the west coast and the way their relationship is strained and strengthened was one of the highlights of the year.
  5. Judgment -
    49263126052_cd1b931fe2_o.png
    Judgment tells the story of a former high-profile attorney turned private detective investigating a serial killer and a yakuza gang war in Tokyo's red-light district. In true Yakuza series fashion, the cast is dense, the captivating plot is lengthy and constantly twisting (though occasionally straining credibility and patience), fights are frequent and brutal, numerous side quests and optional activities both serious and funny litter the world, and the characters are memorable even if their names aren't.
  6. Control -
    49262927536_50b7619619_o.png
    Remedy's latest paranormal thriller defines itself with fun, frenetic, physics-heavy combat, superb graphics, great performance capture and voice acting, an architecturally unusual setting, thoughtful use of live action video, and plentiful funny lore and environmental storytelling that make up for a decent yet mostly unsurprising main plotline.
  7. Days Gone -
    49263126882_ae0ebb1beb_o.png
    Days Gone marks Bend Studio's reemergence into the AAA space for the first time in a decade, and it was a welcome return in spite of some rough edges. You follow Deacon and fellow motorcycle club member Boozer as they do freelance work for various survivor camps in the Oregon countryside that are holding out against wildly aggressive, infected humans and animals. The graphics--particularly ground textures, which receive the least attention in most titles--are top shelf, the music and sound is fitting, and most of the cast turn in great performances. Melee combat feels visceral, the open-world map isn't overly expansive, upgrading your motorcycle is fun, and the lengthy plot is mostly competent, if familiar. Even with a high-level character and upgraded weapons, taking down some of the larger, late-game hordes is a thrill that requires route and equipment planning to avoid being overrun by hundreds of sprinting freaks. There were some bugs and graphical glitches (most of which may be patched by now), but the world established here has a lot of potential with a sequel.
  8. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order -
    49262926156_223a2bd0a4_o.png
    Fallen Order's story exemplifies Star Wars at its best: fighting against oppression, a quest for personal growth and redemption, and the sacrifice and camaraderie of a motley crew. The music is up to the series's high standard, the voice acting is solid, and there are some fun action setpieces, but inconsistency in other areas holds it back. The graphics alternate between excellent, average, and in the case of Wookies, severely outdated. The combat can be fast paced and flashy against the weaker units, but you'll spend a lot of time fighting boring spiders and other creatures and the Dark Souls-like design means you're often doing plodding trial-and-error repetitions against tougher enemies unless you turn the difficulty down. The lightsaber doesn't produce many dismemberment animations and never feels as strong as it should. The puzzles strike a good difficulty balance, but exploration is hampered by too much backtracking without quick travel, a confusing map, and treasure rewards that are mostly ugly poncho outfits and lightsaber parts that you won't be able to notice in motion. Overall though, it's a fun experience and the story highlights make it worth looking past the negatives.
  9. A Plague Tale: Innocence -
    49262458428_da735c9719_o.png
    In A Plague Tale, you lead Amicia and her younger brother Hugo across rural France in the mid 1300s, looking for a cure to his illness while avoiding the pursuit of Inquisition soldiers as well as millions of plague-infested rats. The graphics, music, and voice acting are great across the board, the setting is unique, the increasingly fantastical story is well-told, the stealth and combat mechanics are adequate, and the tech behind the overwhelming swarms of diseased rodents is novel; the only way to stave them off is fire light, and the sight of ten thousand glowing red eyes in a sea of black fur ravenously flowing over themselves like water is appropriately grotesque.
  10. Concrete Genie -
    49262927871_ff12f4949f_o.png
    A simple but effective story about overcoming bullying by revitalizing a run-down town with beautiful, moving, graffiti creatures and scenery. In a remarkable technical feat, you can seemingly paint an unlimited number of living objects, and they remain for the entirety of the game.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Information

1. Pokemon Sword and Shield - don't care about any of the controversies, it's more pokemon!
  2. Sekiro - My favorite FROM game to date. Really captures the feel of swordplay very well.
  3. Tetris 99
  4. Untitled Goose Game
  5. Luigis Mansion 3 - Super fun and easy to play in small bursts
  6. Super Mario Maker 2 - It's more Mario Maker

Narco

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Amazing gameplay, amazing art, amazing characters and world. Incredible thematic consistency. From did it again.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - A perfect reimagination of an almost perfect game. I adored it from start to finish.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
  1. Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition - This is a remaster/remake done right. There's a shitload of content and the gameplay is still very engaging.
  2. Planet Zoo - I found Planet Coaster to be brilliant, but often times frustrating. Frontier has upped their game with Planet Zoo. The management aspects are much better this time around. And the animals are brilliant.
  3. Anno 1800 - Not as engaging as the best Anno games. But it's a beautiful game that I played for hours on end.
  4. Gears 5 - Act one and the first part of act two are fantastic. It's lower on this list because Act 3 wasn't any fun at all. Only played the multiplayer for a little bit.
  5. Tropico 6 - Humor. Oldskool Tropico gameplay. Had me engaged for hours.
  6. DotA Underlords - Played this with a friend. Had good fun.
  7. Dawn of Man - This list should contain an indie game. And this one had me the most fascinated. It's a little rough around the edges and it could use more gameplay mechanics (in combat for example), but I thought it was very enjoyable.
I haven't played that many new games this year. Sure, Crackdown 3, Supermarket Shriek, Ape Out, TABS, etc. were also decent enough games. But I didn't enjoy them enough to nominate them.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - I felt like a kid all over again playing this. Such a fun and quaint experience. Up there as my favorite Zelda game of all time.
  2. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - The sequel to Symphony of the Night that I have been waiting for all these years.
  3. Shovel Knight: King of Cards - The gift that keeps on giving.
  4. Outer Worlds - Scratched that dialog based WRPG itch. Better than Fallout 4 for sure. Congrats to Obsidian.
  5. Tetris 99 - I never even placed first in this game and still had a blast.
  6. Sekiro: Shadow's Die Twice - I haven't beat this game yet. It's a rewarding challenge, like most Dark Souls.
  7. Luigi's Mansion 3 - The controls are a little odd, but it's charming and mindless fun. The puzzles are just the right amount of difficult.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - FROM SOFTWARE perfection. It takes you on a journey that feels like an 80s adult ninja anime. Its world is as fascinating and merciless as the combat.
  2. Outer Wilds - A journey of a different kind. Surprisingly emotional, scary, uplifting...It's all there. This game is not only unique but huge in ambition AND execution.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
  1. Resident Evil 2 - Never thought REmake could be topped but here it is.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - FROM's absolute perfecting of "souls" combat.
  3. Death Stranding - Completely fresh gameplay and some of the best graphics and characters of the generation.
  4. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - The unofficial real successor to Symphony of the Night.
  5. Blasphemous - Amazingly fun and hard Metroidvania developed with much passion.
  6. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order - This game copies the best mechanics of many popular games and seamlessly incorporates them into the Star Wars universe.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
  1. Disco Elysium - Most beautiful and interesting writing I've seen in a game. Probably gave me the most laugh out loud moments in any game not named Tales from the Borderlands (possibly more actually).
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Most exciting sword combat I've ever played. Fantastic level design and mobility to traverse them. Just another classic from the best developers in the business.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - As perfectly executed a remake as has ever been done. Probably my favourite Resident Evil experience.
  4. Hearthstone Battlegrounds - This might not count as it's just a new mode in an old game, but it felt fresh enough and addictive to me that I've spent more time with it than anything else.
  5. Gears 5 - Not a huge Gears fan but since I had Game Pass and this was on it I tried it out and had a pretty fun time. Had some flaws with cheap difficulty spikes, but the graphics were great and the mechanics worked well.

Jorjk

Banned
Apr 8, 2019
  1. Control - Wow what am amazingly crafted game. The entire backstory and lore, the unraveling mystery and the environmental storytelling keep you on your toes till the very end. Graphics are superb, combat is fun, characters are well realized. My GOTY and this game definitely deserved more attention.
  2. Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition - Wait! This is 2019 release? I played this game during summer and it was my first divinity game. Every encounter is well crafted, there are so many ways to play and such a diverse cast of characters. I finished my playthrough in 80 hours then instantly bought the 1st game.
  3. Death Stranding - Had 0 excitement towards this "delivery simulator". But then I bought the game and what a weird experience. It really is a different game that's hard to explain but strangely addicting. Definitely deserves all the praise it got and also deserves second chances from those who quit in the early chapters. Can't wait for more.
  4. Tom Clancey's The Division 2 - A big update over the original, everything is better done. The main missions are especially fun and the entire loot grind is always satisfying. The mission variations and different factions as well as endgame changes have absolutely pushed the game way above the first installment.
  5. Days Gone - Though it has many flaws, it has more heart than most of 2019 games. It was always fun to play, environments are stunning, the story pick up well during the 2nd half and combat is fun.
  6. Kingdom Hearts 3 - My first KH game. Great game thats well designed and has many systems to tinker with. Too bad the story was not engaging and too complicated to follow.
  7. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - Even better than the original and deserves more attention. This is minecraft with a soul.
  8. Destiny 2: Shadowkeep - In spite of a disappointing season pass, the expansion itself delivers great story moments and a beautiful remake of the moon.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Disco Elysium - I've never played a game like Disco Elysium. After being bored to tears with the sense of "Been there done that" that I got from Outer Worlds, the way this game set the bar from any future RPGs I play was truly mind-blowing. I've come to realize after playing this game that I rarely roleplay as silly as it sounds when I play RPGs since I usually as if I was in that situation. This game truly emcompasses the true meaning of RPG with an incredible and different roll-check / dialogue system, amazing setting and characters and an ending that truly made me go "Wow!". I'm looking forward to playing through this game again (Have I also told you that this game is not bloated into a 50+ hour campaign) and finding out more about Revachol. FUCK DOES CUNO CARE?!
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I've been on a rough patch with Fire Emblem. After discovering the series with Awakening when I first bought my 3DS, I was absolutely let down with Fates with its waifu-pandering, unnecessary tacked-on systems and awful characters. Three Houses is quite the triumphant return to glory. With a darker story with plenty of amazing characters you become very attached to, it added onto the fantastic turn-based strategy that the series is known for. I'm still chugging along in my Blue Lions playthrough and I'm hoping to make it through the other paths as well.
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Speaking of "my favorite game from <X_DEVELOPER>", I also think Sekiro might be my favorite From Software game. As a big fan of the rebooted Ninja Gaiden games, I found Sekiro's attitude of a From Software hard-as-nail combat and boss scenarios with no options to grind your way through by leveling up and simply "getting good" to be wildly engrossing. While I recognize that this is an aspect that is absolutely not for everyone, it resonated with me quite well. And that final boss...From Software games has beenoften criticized for making last bosses that are pushovers. This guy certainly is not and the moment I beat him is something I will cherish for a long time.
  4. Control - Remedy is one of my favorite developer ever. I fell in love with the original Max Payne and have played everything that they put out since then. With that being said, I was not sure which direction the company was going to go after Quantum Break (Which I found super disappointing). Control might be the best game they have made. With a very intriguing narrative, deep lore hidden in every crevice of the Oldest House, with fantastic gameplay and graphics (It is the easiest game to demonstrate RTX). While the end of the game doesn't quite nail the ending with multiple annoying combat gauntlets, it is still one of the best games I played this year.
  5. Resident Evil 2 - RE2 is a game that gave me nightmares after watching a friend back in Japan play and it was very cathartic for me to return to. As someone who recently played through RE-make and absolutely adored it, this modern remake of RE2 takes the perfect balance between the awesome puzzles of Re-make and the fantastic controls of modern Resident Evil games. While my enjoyment of this became quite diminished after moving into the sewers and the introduction of Mr. X, I really enjoyed the game overall.
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Back when I was struggling with learning English, I could never remember which was which between Link's Awakening and Link to the Past. With everyone raving Link to the Past, I never got a chance to play Link's Awakening. That changed this year with this remake. While archaic in design and obtuse at parts, it's a wildly entertaining Zelda adventure with some clever sleuthing elements (The item trade quest anyone?). With a quite an emotional ending that I was not prepared for despite knowing about it, it's a game that stayed in my mind a long while after I finished.
  7. Death Stranding - I was trying to finish Death Stranding before leaving for a long business trip and made myself ill in the process...despite that, I had quite an incredible experience with this game. Judging by the game by its cover, it should not be a game I would enjoy with its survival elements with a plethora of bars and systems and its harsh environments. While the dialogue and characters can be a bit messy at parts, the beautiful scenery, the stylish design, the fantastic soundtrack and the dichotomy between tranquil retrospection while trekking across the United States and the terrifying romps through BT-infested areas, it drove a lot of conversations between me and my friends this year.
  8. Baba is You - This game, while it eventually got to the level of difficulty where I had to give up, is the indie game I kept showing to friends and family. With a super unique mechanic that is easy to understand and hard to master, it made for an incredibly unique but mind-bending puzzle game.
  9. Risk of Rain 2 - I liked the first Risk of Rain but never fell in love with it. As a 2D roguelite, the fact that you had little ways in avoiding attacks from oncoming enemies always bothered me. However, all of that changed with the move to 3D with Risk of Rain 2. From the first time my brother showed me a prototype of an empty room with Commando shooting at Lemurians and jellyfish, I knew this was going to do well. With the same amazing soundtrack and a mix of brand new characters and old favorites, I can't wait to see more of this game in the next year.
  10. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - What a delightful little game! As someone who grew up with Dragon Quest, I have a lot of fond memories for all things Dragon Quest. A lot of people describe DQB as "Dragon-Quest-meets-Minecraft" and the way this game weaves a story and campaign through its narrative fixed the issue I've always had with Minecraft: the fact that I'm never creative enough to come up with my own things to build. While the tutorialization can be a bit overwhelming, this was the one under-the-radar game that I have strongly recommended to my friends that had people coming back to me to tell me that they love.

Honorable Mentions
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Void Bastards
  • Super Mario Maker 2

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - By far the best game of 2019. And a game unlike any other game in 2019.
  2. MediEvil -
  3. Days Gone -

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
  1. Tetris 99 - A refreshing new spin on tetris that brings me back everyday.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - A solid remake of a classic RE experience.
  3. Devil May Cry 5 - A great combination of all previous DMC's.
  4. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled - The best Kart Racer ever made.
  5. Life is Strange 2 - A journey that starts off slow but fully comes into its own by the end.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
  1. Death Stranding - The best strand game ever made
  2. Devil May Cry 5 - Capcom is back
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Another amazing game from my favorite developer
  4. Resident Evil 2 - Capcom is back x 2
  5. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition - Would have been my GOTY in 2018 if I had played it then
  6. Judgment - Favorite story in a game all year
  7. Control - Best TPS combat in recent memory
  8. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Fun puzzles and cool bosses
  9. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - First Ace Combat game and I really dug everything about it
  10. Metro Exodus - I have mixed feelings on the open levels but the linear claustrophobic sections are still ace

Geezer

Jan 29, 2018
  1. Resident Evil 2 - Great fun to play and a solid effort bringing this game to the modern era, I enjoyed it more than the original. Looking back on it I am stunned at how many times I played it through, probably 40+ times, this is very unlike me for non-arcade games and testament to how well the game plays. This game also got me into watching speedruns by highly skilled streamers.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Interesting take on the FromSoft formula. After some (major) self-inflicted teething issues due to trying to play it like their other titles, it clicked for me and I fell in love. Excellent combat and the verticality of the environments is very welcome.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
  1. Control - It's stark, and bold, and slightly unnerving, and just when you're ready for something different it gives you the best action set-piece of the year.
  2. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - The Star Wars game I always wanted. Loved the action and exploration and the story mostly delivers.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - A late entry on my list thanks to some spare cash and a good sale. It feels fairly faithful to the spirit of the game I played so many times in the late 90's. I normally prefer original content over sequels and re-releases, but this was a great mix of old and new and is much better than the original in the context of modern games. Unfortunately it didn't have quite the same impact on me that the original did.
  4. The Outer Worlds - Conversation skills are OP AF and I loved it.
  5. Apex Legends - My battle roayle for 2019. Was obsessed for a month or two but didn't go back after that.
  6. Gears 5 - I played through the 5 campaigns for the first time this year and each game is better than the last, at story and set-pieces.
  7. Untitled Goose Game - You're a horrible goose and it's fun to annoy people. The length was perfect and the ending was satisfying.
  8. Death Stranding - The most elaborate walking simulator. Kojima should get Spielberg to remaster this game because guns felt unnecessary.
  9. Baba is You - The perfect puzzle game to mull on over time. The mechanics of each puzzle are written into the puzzle, so it shouldn't be that hard but it often feels impossible until I solve it and realise how stupid I am.
  10. Blood & Truth - Very late entry for me. This game is held back by PSVR's hardware but the story does a great job, and there's lots of incredible action-set-piece moments, even though the bad guys tend to stand around like targets on a shooting range. The free DLC target practice/high score chasing rhythm mode is great too.
  11. Life is Strange 2 - This was another last minute addition. Really wanted to fit it in the 10 but unfortunately the really great story and characters can't make up for the rather inconsistent animation, voice acting and dialogue. I would love for this team to have a bigger budget and longer runway before releasing episode 1 of their next project.
  12. My Friend Pedro - Oozes Matrix-like sidescrolling action and a bad-dream-like underworld story. What better setting for shooting some dudes in the face in the most stylish way possible?
  13. Ape Out - It's rhythmic and calming to go through a level, wiping dudes out, picking up their limbs and throwing at their mates. The moment I die, I feel frustration and anger towards my captors but escaping gives me an elated feeling of freedom, then it quickly turns over to side b.
  14. The Outer Wilds - The time loop is a cool mechanic but I hate the time loop. I loved the design of this game but I hated the frustration when I didn't know how to progress and I didn't want to waste a loop investigating something meaningless.
  15. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - It's a Castlevania-alike and a pretty solid one at that but not my favourite Metroidvania of the last few years.
  16. Wargroove - I like the tactics gameplay but wasn't really taken by the characters or story.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 Remake - Beautiful remake that manages to stay true to and outdo the original
  2. Devil May Cry 5 - Glorious return to the king of action games. Beautiful graphics and the best gameplay in a game of this genre
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Another FROM masterpiece, with the best bosses they've ever created.
  4. Fire Emblem Three House - I'm not expert on the series but this entry managed to keep me compelled and captived the whole way through
  5. Samurai Shodown - My favorite fighter in a long while. The very definition of easy to pick up, hard to master

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - A masterpiece. I don't think I've played any other AAA game this gen that was as bold, original and refreshing as DS. The world is beautiful and awe-inspiring. Story is Kojima's but great. Moment-to-moment gameplay is almost perfect and the amount of gameplay mechanics and tools at your disposal are ridiculous. Soundtrack is stellar, great performances. It's the game I've played the most this gen and the one that will stay on my mind the most after it ends. A truly remarkable game (probably my GOTG).
  2. Outer Wilds - This gen is the golden era of indie games and Outer Wilds is up there with the best. A masterclass in exploration in gaming. While other games make you fetch this random objects scattered throughout the map as an imbecile, Outer Wilds make the exploration the reward in itself. The time-loop premise is great and the soundtrack is sublime (one of the GOATs OSTs).
  3. Metro exodus - This game oozes with atmosphere. Probably the best world-building I've seen in an FPS this gen, such a good world to explore. Gunplay is a little janky but bullets count and guns are punchy.
  4. Resident Evil 2 - Shooting zombies in the face never felt this good. Atmosphere is spot-on. If the story was more relevant it would be higher on my list.
  5. Control - Everything about Control from the premise to the visuals intrigued me but I don't think the game managed to reach its true potential. Combat looks cool but is a little on the repetitive side, in part due to the lackluster and repetitive enemies (bosses are cool though). The story is too barebones in the end and never manages to captivate you the same way other similar worlds do, characters are dull and forgettable. It does have the best gaming moment this year (Astral Maze). I hope we get a sequel that improves on this foundation.
  6. Apex Legends - Hands-down the best battle royale game and the one that stuck with me the most. Best shadow-drop ever?
  7. Grindstone - Probably one of the best launch games ever. Fun, addictive and visually great. It's one of the best mobile games I've played
  8. Call of Duty Modern Warfare - Without a doubt the best gunplay in an FPS and a huge improvement in visuals. Campaign takes us back to COD's highest moments. The only reason it's not higher up is because the online was very janky and incoherent on my end at game launch and I dropped it. Might go back to it early next year and see how it holds.
  9. Days Gone - Forgettable characters and open-world, repetitive missions and awful exploration incentives make this a disappointment. But the basic moment-to-moment gameplay is great and if they work on it the sequel could be very good.
Games that I haven't played but could probably get in: Outer Worlds, Star Wars: Fallen Order.

Overall I'd say it was a weak year but that gave me 1 masterpiece (Death Stranding) and a really really good game (Outer Wilds).

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - My first game of the Soulsbourne genre. I'm a very gameplay driven gamer and mostly play multiplayer games. I therefore rarely beat single player games these days, especially long ones. I clocked in over 50 hours into this one and beat it. The game provided an incredibly rewarding experience and gameplay loop where you got better with every run. You throw yourself against the bosses until you beat them. In my case a lot, but I always had a sense of progression and when a boss finally clicked it was a dance of clinging swords. I loved the game and will definitely hold an eye out for the next installment from FromSoftware.
  2. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - Man, I love platformers! I was pretty much the first genre I got hooked on with the C64 and when the SNES came out I never stopped jumping again. This one has one of the best and most complex overworlds since Donkey Kong Country 3 - combined with a 2D Zelda overworld. It's a fantastic fit for the genre and it's incredible how smart Playtonic was with their ressources. Overworld aside, the hook with this game is in the levels - every one has two states. Drop water on a level entry though the overworld and a normal level becomes an underwater world. They put out an incredible polished game from visuals to frame-rate and the gameplay holds up. For a small team to have that fast of a turnaround after the first Yooka-Laylee and to put out a product this good?! I hope they stick around for a long time! Oh and of course the music is really good too! To many more!
  3. Luigi's Mansion 3 - The first one still holds the crown of the three. It has a simplistic charm that's hard to beat. Here the formula has been build upon a lot. In the best ways I might add. The visuals might be the best, the Switch has put out. They added Coop which is amazing, especially if you want to play with younger kids. It's really versatile with all the themes this hotel provides. And it's oh so charming with the ghosts and the way Luigi reacts to them.
  4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I haven't finished this one yet. This franchise has course corrected a lot over the last decade. They almost went full Wifu simulator with Awakening and Fates but thankfully they tuned that component down a lot with Three Houses. The way you build relationships with your students is very endearing. The activities you can do around the monestary are fun. The story is surprisingly solid! The gameplay is great as always. For the next one, they only have to fine tune the visuals. They leave a lot to be desired. Otherwise, it's pretty amazing where we are now with Fire Emblem after almost losing the franchise before Awakening.
  5. Shovel Knight: King of Cards - Have I mentioned that I love platformers? This year also marks the first time that I finished Shovel of Hope so this was the logical follow up for me. It's so good! The music and the visuals are the best 8bit style there ever was. The gameplay draws a little bit from Wario Land and combines that with the best virtues of Shovel Knight.
  6. Heave Ho - Platformers aside, local multiplayer games are my jam! This one is a really easy to learn, hard to master game that's chaotic in the best way. Hang in there - or don't..
  7. Super Mario Maker 2 - its really good! I never played the Wii U one, and this one is potentially better. It's a let down that there are a few defining properties that let it down a little, otherwise this would have easily been in my top three. Being forced into the alternative soundtracks when using the night theme sucks when they didn't take the time to make the music as good as the builder music. Whatever happened to the online-friends play in the beginning was 100% Nintendo online thinking and it sucks that they are still not further on. Co-op building isn't as good as it could be and discovering good levels is not that fun if you're not part of a community.
  8. Invisigun Reloaded - Now on Switch! This game is fantastic. Think stealth Bomber-Man. No one can see each other. You have to read the world to know where you even are yourself! Did you leave footprints in the sand? Was it you that ran through that plant? Destroyed that wooden plate? There are other people out there (best played on the couch) and they are out to get you! If you think you know where another player is, shoot him - but you'll give away your position by doing so.It's great!
  9. Sea of Thieves - So it didn't come out this year, but it finally hit its stride. Rare managed to build upon it's compelling gameplay loop and implemented lots of new mechanics that keep the game fresh. They also finally implemented real Quest Lines. Story and all. If you liked the game last year, it's fun to check back in and see what happened since the last patch. You can have a skeleton parrot now. Or a monkey to keep you company while sailing! How about burning enemy ships down? Fishing for fish? And best of all (opinions are still very opposed with this one): Everything you do just adds up to better cosmetics! Doesn't matter if I haven't played the game in month. I can still come back, won't get stumped by more seasoned players and are still able to play for a few hours with my friends who have played a lot more Sea of Thieves than I did. More games should follow this road (not all, I hear you, but some)
  10. Teamfight Tactics - technically I like Underlords more, but all my friends prefer this one, so this is the one I played most. I like the genre, even if I hate the insanely high luck factor this one has. But finding synergies and watching them play out is really fun. I'm excited for the way this genre will grow over the years and hopefully TFT wil adapt to be standing head to head with the best of them.
I'll think on the last entry, but that's it for now. I played some more games this year, but I don't think any of them warrant to be on this list atm.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
  1. Days Gone - 70 meta, who cares ? Except a few technical issues, I got what I wanted.
  2. Blood & Truth - Amazing ride and my favorite PSVR title this year.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - Played it two times with both chars and can't wait for 3.
  4. Knights & Bikes - Lovely sp/coop indie title.
Haven't played many other 2019 games until now, so my list is a bit short.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
  1. Resident Evil 2 - Not sure if it's actually my favourite game of the year or not, but the effort put in deserves #1 spot at a time when Konami/Silent Hill doesn't exist anymore and Capcom could have just stuck to making terrible survival horror games like RE4/RE5/RE6. RE7 is the only good recent game by them, and thankfully RE2 and now probably RE3 remind us why Capcom used to be good.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Only completed this once and that is a massive flaw for From Software, but as a SP experience it was great while it lasted. But sorry FS, what we don't need next is the second entry of this series. Back to Bloodborne 2 first please, or something with your staple MP experience included.
  3. AI: The Somnium Files - Blind purchase almost, but glad I got it. Pretty nonsensical and fun title, that is the antiseptic to the absolute disgrace of a game called Zero Time Dilemma.
  4. Days Gone - Bloated, bit buggy and narrative pacing issues, but we don't get any biker games and this had likeable characters (maybe not Boozer) and a decent enough "game story". Probably could have a better sequel at some point.
  5. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers - Only game that makes my list that isn't fully completed yet, but might be over this Christmas break (playing it now). Great so far and definitely an example of how to do an MMO storyline that isn't just filler shite to get you to end-game dungeon grinding.
  6. Football Manager 2020 - In last position as there isn't enough new these last few years, it's basically just a roster update now, but it still remains digital crack. Be warned Sega the longer you stagnate the series and fail to do anything other than roster updates with it.

Hardly completed anything this year as most games bored me, especially The Outer Worlds. Man that game sucked. Anyway, list above out of things I have completed. It's probably my own issue at the end of the year I haven't completed more, as some big hitters aren't on my list due to me failing to complete them. But that's my almost red-line, I don't like awarding games that I can't even complete. Some of the missing suspects probably will be completed sometimes next year.

Looking at you Dragon Quest 11, I might finally get you finished. Same with Persona 5 if that re-release is any good. Persona 5 was such a disappointing game as well.

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - From's best combat system to date, tied to their best traversal yet. Excellent vertical level design, stellar boss fights, gorgeous art direction and interesting lore make for 2019's best game.
  2. Control
  3. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Took most everything I loved from the Souls series and then made traversal actually entertaining this time. Brutally hard, but satisfying.
  2. Tetris 99 - Nintendo showed me I didnt hate *all* Battle Royale games. The updates throughout the year only made the game better and better. If you had told me last year there would be a different Tetris game I'd be playing every day that isn't Tetris Effect, I would have laughed, but now TE is an afterthought.
  3. Super Mario Maker 2 - Despite not getting updates as quickly as I like, this game has no peer anywhere else. The addition of 3D World levels showed me I want a dedicated game in that style.
  4. What the Golf? - Pure insanity. Loved every second of it. Almost makes Apple Arcade worth a subscription. Almost.
  5. Borderlands 3 - It was really good, but ultimately just more Borderlands and nothing special. After years of endless, mindless grinding in Destiny 2, this felt refreshing though

The other games I played this year (Death Stranding, Days Gone, Trials Rising, Luigi's Mansion, Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair, Destiny 2) aren't worthy of being in a top games list of mine. I ultimately didn't enjoy any of them for various reasons.

leon9506

Aug 31, 2018
  1. Sekiro Shadows Die Twice - One of the best game from made and one of my favorite game this generation, the combat system is just so good, and the atmosphere is superb just like any other from title(even though some people may not into the setting as much)
  2. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - MHW is the game I spent the most time on, also was my top 3 game last year. I didn't think iceborne would drag me back in like this, but here I am, almost double the playtime.
  3. Super Mario Maker 2 - the game I can basically hop in any time I want, the replay value is insaine

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
Although i have played 10 games this year, I did not finish all of them, so my top list will not be a top 10 one. Hope it's okay! I'll add my honourable mentions in the end for games I haven't finished yet.

1. Outer Wilds - I tought about this game for weeks. It's been years since I didn't wake up at night with the solution to a problem encountered in the game. It was an emotional ride, an impressive one too. What an achievement.
  2. Control - I already love Sam Lake's writing from the bottom of my heart. This game is something else. It might be one of the funniest AAA games I ever played, the lore is absolutely fascinating. The developers had tons of fun making this game and it shows.
  3. Death Stranding - What a comeback. MGS V was one of the biggest disappointment in my life. It hurts even thinking about it. I know it's a good game, and I had fun with it, but this terrible bland story. Anyway. But Death Stranding... Man, what an achievement. I love that the team managed to make an uneventful gameplay loop so entertaining, so strong although a tiny bit too easy (the bad guys are more intimidating in design than in gameplay tbh). The story is all over the place, but this mix of campyness and seriousness, of laughs and tears really hit me hard. When I finished it I wandered weeks online just to read some analysis of the story.
  4. Kind Words - At first I thought this game's concept (writing anonymous letters to strangers talking about your problems and answering to other people's letters) was stronger than its execution. But actually, it works. People are respectful and open. The answers are often thoughtful. Although it's more like a nice looking anonymous social media than a game (that's debatable), a lot of people play along and that's an incredible achievement itself.
  5. Telling Lies - I really loved the game at first, but thinking about it my affection for it diminished. The concept itself is as strong as Her Story, its execution is even better with its perfectly crafted story. Everything is just incredibly smart. Unfortunally, the fact that it got a wider scope than Her Story also meant that it lost a little bit of its singularity that made the first game so appealing. It's kind of the same evolution between Portal and Portal 2, in both case the two games are amazing, but the surprise and singularity of the first one makes it more appealing to me. Absolutely amazing game and some of the acting is actually incredible. The actress that plays the girlfriend (Alexandra Shipp) is probably my favourite performance of 2019.
  6. Untitled Goose Game - To be honest I don't think it's the most incredible achievement ever. The game is solid, super funny and plays with stealth tropes very well. But I played it with my girlfriend and the actual experience of playing it with her was very cool. The game became a meme between us and we will probably play it again one day. So I do have to be thankful for this game.
  7. Deliver Us The Moon - It's hard to have an opinion about this game, because all the exploration stuff is very very good, but the budget Uncharted action sequences are pretty bad and a bit out of place. I still remember most of the game, so it was memorable enough to make me forget about the action. The story told is very interesting, very Tacoma and I was pretty dans invested in it.
Honourable mentions :

A Plague Tale: Innocence - I think I am midway into the game, but what a game! This is proof that slick animation in AAA games is absolutely overrated. It's already the case in many other games, but you don't need a Naughty Dog level of precision in animation to make an incredibly engaging game. Even the gameplay is so-so, not very deep and way too contextual in most cases (it's a sequence of setpieces more than a gameplay loop), but what actually happens on screen makes me so nervous. The first time I encountered the rats is one of the best scenes of the year.

Supraland - It might not be my cup of tea at first, but this is a very competent game, full of great ideas. Every puzzle is well made, difficult but not Witness-level of difficulty for now. It's also pretty and mildly funny.

Eastshade - I have mixed opinions about this game. It's a non-violent RPG/Painter simulator. My big problem is that the dialog is too simple, and the missions too similar. But that being said... It's an absolute JOY to wander around this world, learning more about its history and weird characters. I haven't finished it yet so we'll see.

Games I didn't play but no doubt they would be very high on my list because it's absolutely my jam:

A Short Hike
Disco Elysium
Pathologic 2
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Descenders
Heaven's Vault

I hope I'll be able to play them next year.
Great OP by the way!

PulpPedro

Dec 21, 2018
  1. Devil May Cry 5-I'll be the first to admit that I actually did not play the other DMC games until right before 5, but man am I glad I did because it made me appreciate what DMC5 had to offer way more than if I did not play the other games. Besides that, however, DMC5 is my absolute favorite game of 2019. In my opinion, this game has the best melee combat I ever experienced this entire generation. It's varied, controls incredibly well, and there is so much depth and combo potential between the three main leads. I had an absolute blast with this game from beginning to end, and the story was surprisingly very engaging. While I am upset there won't be any more story DLC (I would love to see one with Trish and Lady since they're barely in the main game), the game makes up for it by being incredibly replayable. Also, bloody palace is a nice bonus!
  2. Resident Evil 2-This is the best remake I have ever played by far (though FF7 Remake next year could take the cake). It's scary, intense, and addicting as hell. The RPD is easily my favorite area in any game I played this year. The whole game is masterfully designed and holds tons of secrets, not to mention Mr. X stalking you throughout the whole place. Like DMC5, it's also very replayable. I highly encourage anyone who has not already to please play this game. I would even go as far and say it is the BEST game out of all these here, just not my favorite.
  3. Death Stranding-I know this game is a controversial entry, but honestly I really loved DS. Does it have problems? Hell yes. Is it for everyone? Hell no. Despite that, I loved how weird and out-there the game's narrative was, yet still very easy to follow, and most importantly, engaging. I found the deliveries to be repetitive, yet very satisfying. Hell, even WALKING was weirdly engaging and relaxing. Though I cannot recommend the game to everyone like the first two entries, I'm very happy that I had a wonderful experience with the game, and also the ending was masterful. Easily the best ending out of all these games here.
  4. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night-As of writing this, I haven't actually finished this game yet, but I think I played it enough to put it here in the top 5. The game has wonderful level design and exploration. Just going around filling up the map is very satisfying. Combat is nice and fluid, and I love how customizable Miriam is from her outfit to her weapon and shard loadouts. All of my issues with the game revolve around technical problems. On my base PS4, the game drops framerate like there's no tomorrow, and sometimes the game even freezes when I try to access the pause menu, thinking the game will crash. The bosses are very challenging and they're all varied and fun. All in all, you gotta play this game if you're a SOTN fan, else you're missing out. Quick shout-out to Curse of the Moon which I also played this year. A very fun and affordable 8-bit counterpart to this game.
  5. Shovel Knight: King of Cards-Shovel Knight is both my favorite indie game this gen, and one of my top 5 games this decade. Needless to say, I'm always very excited to play a new Shovel Knight expansion. Unfortunately, I did have some issues with this one. Due to King Knight's shoulder bash mechanic the platforming was much clunkier than usual, accidental deaths a-plenty. I also was not a fan of the new Joustus card game (I'm really not a card game person), but that got very easy near the end when I got access to the high-level cards. Despite these somewhat major issues, I still had a great time with the game. I love the new hub area, the writing is on-point, the ending ties into the original game perfectly, and I really love the new Mario 3-style map structure, making it both fresh and nostalgic. Overall, the game is not perfect, but it is a wonderful farewell to the saga of Shovel Knight, and I am incredibly excited to see what Yacht Club Games has in next in store for us!

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - Stupendous game. Thoughtful writing, great building tools, perfect structure with the isolated chapters and return to the home island. Every new mechanic improves on the first game. Remarkably effective sequel.
  2. Control - Man the difficulty / jank was frustrating, but psychic powers 3rd person shooter set in the SCP Foundation is laser-targeted at my taste.
  3. Grindstone - Clash of Heroes might be my favorite game of all time. I'm so psyched to have a new excellent Capy puzzle game. Apple Arcade does this game a disservice.
  4. Slay the Spire - Love me a rogue like, love me a dynamic deck builder. it's so enjoyable to draft your way into stable builds, and just hilarious when you execute a perfect nigh-unbeatable cycle.
  5. Shovel Knight: King of Cards - Might be the best Shovel Knight campaign and that's saying something. Perfect capper to the series. I would buy physical Joustus if they made it.
  6. Resident Evil 2 - Never played the original. I love the phases this went through. I felt legitimately uncomfortable at the start but then really ramped into powerful as I got equipped and solved the enemies.
  7. SteamWorld Quest - If Slay the Spire is great for drafting, this was great for constructing. I just adored the party deck system. There's so much room there for playing characters in off-roles to support unusual builds, and the enemy variety really encourages you to shake things up from time to time. Storyline was a bit rote, but the style was charming enough to carry it.
  8. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Definitely a course-correction from Fates but the shoddy production really hurt this. Edelgard route just feels incomplete after the time skip. Interior scenes are hideous. I don't really understand why they dropped the triangle. But shit. I loved setting up lesson plans and optimizing monastery time. FE X SMT was lame but FE X Persona got it done for me.
  9. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Didn't finish this. Probably tied with Dark Souls 3 as my least favorite of these. There just wasn't enough variety, honestly. I barely used the gadgets and missed having weapon swaps and upgrades. But the traversal was rad and the setting was cool and the core combat felt good.
  10. Wargroove - Again, I have a lot of gripes. The later campaign missions really drag, I dunno why they were so stingy with mid-map production facilities. Was a bit too hard to build momentum even when victory was certain. But the unit variety was great and the style was rad.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 - A proper classic, remade for a new generation.
  2. Death Stranding - AAA game with its main gameplay loop not being hitting/shooting other characters. Does a lot of things correctly.
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2 - A proper mega open world game that only a big studio can deliver, with a setting that's not overused and a great story.
  4. A Plague Tale: Innocence - A great single player adventure from a smaller studio.
  5. Control - The Remedy formula perfected.
  6. The Outer Worlds
  7. Metro Exodus
  8. Devil May Cry 5
  9. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  10. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Death stranding will win goty because there are less ways to wrongly spell it compared to sekiro and re 2 :)

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
1)
[
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Beat all the paths and still return for skirmish battles. Over 200h played!
  2. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Was a huge fan of the castlevania on the DS and this one didn't dissapoint, loved everything.
  3. Pokemon Sword - Yes I can see the flaws but damn it if I didn't love alot of it. Easy to EV and easy to breed Perfect IV. The wild area was just perfect.
  4. Children of Morta - After trying to find a good roguelite with vertical progression I am really glad I found this game. A heartwarming story and a solid combat makes this one of the best roguelites. Only wish it had New Game+
  5. My life at Portia - A really good simulation game which tried to do something different than just copying Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons. Thos game, a heartwarming game made me cry.
  6. Super Mario Maker 2- Hundreds of hour in the game and probably thousand hour watching other play. I just miss Super Expert non endless mode.
  7. Sekiro: Shadows dies twice - A great game but my least favourite from software game the last decade. I missed the RPG system and the replayability. But playing through it once was a really good experience.
  8. New Super Mario Brous U Deluxe - Maybe my favourite Mario 2D game since SMW. Almost all levels are perfectly designed.
  9. FFXIV: Shadowbringers - Maybe I am not allowed to post expansions but this is as good as FFXIV have been.
  10. Luigis Mansion 3 - I can only compare it with the first entry in the series. But this is much better than it. Love Luigis personality.

[/QUOTE]

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - renewed my love for the genre. Intense, tight, and incredibly well-executed. I love this game.
2. Resident Evil 2 - in most years this wins. A near-perfect remake that's as vivid and meaningful as it could be. What an awesome return to form.
3. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - I got hooked. After years of losing interest in the vania genre, this reignited it and came together with tons of depth and masterclass exploration.
4. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - great, tight remake of a game I never played. Really enjoyable romp that is a good 'in between' games game.
5. Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes - yes, it's low budget and a little thin, but it's creatively charged and has some of the most underrated combat around. It's cheap too. Go play it.
6. Baba is You - you should play this, immediately
7. Death Stranding - not far enough to put it higher. I think Kojima is a ridiculous dork and pretty lame most of the time, but this game is a pretentious hulk of art and whether or not it works (not sure yet), it sure is captivating. Eager to play more of it and try to wrangle what the hell is going on. It's a success and it could work its way up this list.
8. Astral Chain - disjointed, but occasionally exceptional. I need to pick it back up.
9. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - a really nice game that's GREAT for local coop.
10. Sayonara Wild Hearts - tight and fun and limited. It does what it does well and it's really well polished. 100% worth a purchase.

HM: Judgment (haven't played it), Untitled Goose Game (charming)

Status
Not open for further replies.