• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

Overcrowd: A Commute 'Em Up - My actual GOTY that debuted in 2019 in spite of it being ineligible as it's Early Access. Overcrowd combines overarching business simulation with spacial puzzling and RTS employee management. It's a game that sports both style and substance. Design subway systems, direct employees, upgrade infrastructure. It's a beautiful dance of creative blueprinting within a limited space and day to day hands-on management. Absolutely love the colorful, chunky retro-pixel look coupled with an infectious midi soundtrack. It's a tight package from a dev team of 2 who totally work within their limits to deliver a polished gem.

1. Disco Elysium - Best game writing ever? Best game writing ever. As we cross the 20th anniversary of Planescape: Torment, I was starting to wonder if it would ever be topped in world-building, characterization and quality of the written word. But here we are and it finally happened. Using personality traits as your rpg party members was a stroke of genius. It fleshed out the player character in ways I've never seen in the medium. And the divergent paths your character could take, the ways you could mold them into completely different directions is breathtaking. Shout-out to the gorgeous watercolor visuals, eye-catching UI design and memorable soundtrack. Much like Planescape, Disco is a tour de force that I fully expect to talked about in reverent tones for years to come. Oh, and it's hilarious as hell too. That was unexpected.

2. Ion Fury - I thought I was done with the FPS genre years ago. Call it genre fatigue. But Ion Fury (along with #7 and last year's Dusk) have completely reinvigorated my enthusiasm for shooters. Perhaps it's how all these throwback titles distill the gameplay loop back to a time when systems were simpler, goals more straightforward and less burdened with modern expectations of expository narrative, upgrade paths, etc. Ion Fury feels like a fast and furious arcade shoot 'em up. Level design is absolutely killer in its intricacy, with more secrets than I'll ever find. The soundtrack pumping. Shocking that it's actually running on a modified 25 year old Build Engine. It's the Duke Nukem sequel we deserved.

3. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - Always loved me some gathering/crafting games. DQB2 takes that foundation and layers a full-out adventure game on top. So instead of the sandbox 'make your own fun' premise typical of the genre, this game gives the player direction and purpose. An intoxicating blend that combines the best of both worlds. It's charming as hell. A bright and beautiful world with memorable characters. There's LOTS of writing that while fluffy is wonderfully written. Characters have unique dialects that make them feel diverse in tone. The game is also brimming with content, with dozens upon dozens of hours of adventuring. I also like that as soon a certain gameplay loop starts to feel grindy, you unlock the ability to offload said work onto NPCs and whole new gameplay systems are introduced. Keeps everything feeling fresh. DQB2 is my feel-good GOTY.

4. Sunless Skies - I always wanted to love this dev's previous title Sunless Sea. But the rouge-lite systems always felt too punitive, the world map too sprawling for its own good. Enter Skies. More forgiving, more focused. The presentation got a shot in the arm with colorful and varied maps to traverse. Gorgeous visuals and UI design. The writing is impeccable. I love how confident & comfortable the world lore is. It's strange and often unsettling. Off kilter like a Twilight Zone episode that looks normal on the surface but has hidden unusual oddities lurking in the shadows. But the writing doesn't try to draw attention to itself, pointing out how wild and wacky the world is. It's just another day sailing the stars of Fallen London.

5. Automachef - A smart production-line puzzler. Overcooked meets Big Pharma, as if developed by Zachtronics. Absolutely love the 50's automat setting. Has a great sense of humor as your megalomaniac robot partner guides you through the campaign missions. The pacing is spot on, introducing increasingly complex tasks in a natural tempo. The end-level scoring system has you going back to refine level layouts, trying to use just a few less pieces of equipment and electricity. Leads to a lot of "Ah-ha!" moments where you totally rethink your design philosophies.

6. Amid Evil - Part 2 of my rediscovery of shooters this year (well, 3 if you count Dusk in 2018). Where Ion Fury revisited the days of Duke, Amid Evil has us going back to the days of Heretic and Hexen. It's strange 'cause I never really dug into the games that inspired AE. Always felt that elemental weapons lacked punch. But man does Amid Evil dispel these notions (I mean, the Celestial Claw launches actual planets at your foes). Levels are absolutely huge and complex. The color palette bright with an oversaturated color motif. Gameplay is lightning fast and liquid smooth at 120 fps. The sense of weight and momentum feels incredible. Worthy of note is how varied the maps are. There's 7 episodes (4 levels each) that feel wholly unique in architecture, theme and design. Once again, a simpler throwback experience replete with modern QoL enhancements. I'm really digging the resurgence of retro shooter and can't wait to see how it evolves.

7. 10 Miles To Safety - This top-down shooter has you fighting and scavenging your way through the daylight hours and building up defenses against the empowered nighttime hoards. There's a great mix of action and strategy on offer. Day/night cycles come fast so you have to think on your toes and prioritize the gathering loop. Environments are colorful and lush, giving the world a dense feeling. Shout-out to authentic and varied character animations. The map is full of human NPCs, which is quite refreshing for the zombie apocalypse trope, and they're in all manner of fight or flight with cops taking on zombies, civvies running, diving for cover or hiding. Combined with object density, it gives the world an incredibly alive (lol) feeling. The shooting and melee combat feels satisfying and dialed in. Pacing feels frantic and on edge. Not sure why but my mind always goes to the classic Robotron when I think of this game.

8. Pathologic 2 - P2 doesn't care about your time. It doesn't care if you miss story events. The world just keeps on ticking whether you're there to see it or not. I always hated timers in games. That pressure of having to rush through the game loop to see everything. Pathologic 2 completely broke me of this habit. It demands that you give yourself up to the limited day cycle and embrace the idea that you simply won't talk to everyone and close every quest. It's incredibly freeing to play on its own terms. P2 is one of the strangest worlds I've ever traversed. 'Lynchian' is a general term used far too often but man I can't think of a better descriptor. The moment you emerge from the train in the opening and are greeted by a docile 50 foot tall bull, you know you're in for one strange ride. Pathologic 2 is a truly melancholic experience. A game that commits so hard to this vibe that you can't help but respect its tenacity. Its refreshing to play a game that isn't interested in empowering the player, one that doesn't give a whiff about happy endings. There's a feeling of purity in this. An unflinching dedication to vision.

9. Objects in Space - OiS is a sandbox space sim where piloting your ship feels more like playing as a submarine navigation officer. You're not using joysticks to fly and shoot your way through the galaxy as in No Man's Sky or Rebel Galaxy. Instead you sitting behind a myriad of computer consoles calibrating headings, managing systems, switching out damaged physical parts. It's incredibly hands-on and tactile. It gives a great feeling of ownership to your craft. And while you can play all the roles found in space sims (trucker, marauder, bounty hunter, etc.) there's also a great story on offer as well. As part of a vanguard fleet sent out to colonize a new system, you misjump and float in cryo for decades. 70 years later you catch back up with the group only to find the system established and rife with political & commercial conflict. That's not even to mention what happened to all your friends who are now elderly while you didn't age at all. There's more writing exploring these threads than you'd expect to see in the genre. It's super-interesting stuff. Objects feels like a labor of love put together by a tiny team of 2. It's got rough edges for sure, but it's also got a ton of heart and a unified focus that only seems to come through with smaller productions like this.

10. Autonauts - 'nauts is a deceptive game. So colorful & twee on the surface, yet impressively deep under the hood. As a colony builder it's a game about production chains. But peeling back another layer it's also about programming bots using Scratch-style scripting language to carry out those chains. It just keeps looping and looping back in on itself to the point where you have automation chains producing maintenance bots to service worker bots, while other robot teams focus on bot production itself. It's incredible. And all wrapped in the bright and beautiful package that's an audio/visual joy. It's so damn charming to look at. It creates a wild dichotomy between candy-coated presentation and grognard simulation systems running the show. In a genre that can be a bit dry or self-serious in look and feel Autonauts makes tinkering around colony management a playful Skittles rainbow explosion.

Honorable mentions (aka I wish it were Top 20, I love you guys too!):

- Void Bastards
- Project Zomboid
- Train Valley 2
- Eastshade
- 7 Days to Die
- Kenshi
- My Time At Portia
- Queen's Wish: The Conqueror
- Project Hospital
- Forager

2019 was a fantastic year in gaming. Once again proving that there's just not enough time in the day to fully enjoy all the awesome content on offer. It really is an embarrassment of riches in modern times.

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

**VoteBot: Thanks for participating in ResetEra GOTY 2019! You vote receipt is available here.**

Last edited by a moderator:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Death Standing - Kojima did it again and it was one of the most compelling and unique gaming experiences of this gen, with nothing played this year that highlighted the uniqueness the video games bring that other mediums do not.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - From's tightest controlling game, with superb animation and the most addictive and ambitious enemy encounters to date for the developer, it stands on the shoulders of the best of From Softwares works, next to Bloodborne & DSIII. Cannot wait to see where they go from here with Elden Ring. Just wish there was more of this game :(, first soulsborne game since Demon Souls with no DLC
  3. Devil May Cry V - The king has reclaimed his throne in the hack & slash gaming spectrum. DMCV offers the most robust and deep combat system in a DMC game since DMC3, with the best action animation I have seen in a non-From Software release to date. Bayonetta 3 has a lot to live up to now, with DMCV setting the bar high up in the gameplay department alone.
  4. Resident Evil 2: Remake - First game I got to in 2019 and the best Resi I have played since Resi 4. Quality experience with great atmosphere and solid storyline to boot. Hoping Resident Evil 3 Remake builds on its encounters and goes for the more Resi 4 route, with every encounter being deliberate and eventful.
  5. Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled - The best kart racer of all time got a HD Remake this year, with the tightest a racer has ever felt, without the bullshit RNG that is found in the part first, Mario Kart 8. Solid remake, but Activision keeps getting slimier with the micro transactions.
  6. Halo Master Chief Collection (PC) - Halo on PC is finally a fully realized thing! It still has a long way to come, with only Reach part of the deal, but if this is there first go at it, I can only imagine how much greater the rest of the series will shape up on PC.
  7. Kingdom Hearts III - This being the sequel to my favourite JRPG to date, I had high hopes going into this. I have to be frank, if I had played 4 other games this year, I would probably have left this off the list. It was a good game, solid in its concept, but too simple and lacked the imagination, especially in the Disney Worlds, that helped me connect with the juxtaposition of Disney crossing over with Final Fantasy characters and the like.
  8. Astral Chain - Much like KHIII, this game wouldn't make a top 15 this year if I had gotten around to as many games as I did this year, with the weakest combat system I have played in a Platinum game, a utterly worthless and uncompelling story, repetitive combat encounters and an over reliance on the Guardian creatures has me utterly dissapointed that this is the game to be one of the most succesful for Platinum as a studio. I hope the rest of their projects can shape up to their potential, because if there is a developer that can reshape the action genre, it is Platinum games.

Might want to edit the Death Standing spelling lol!

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
  1. Outer Wilds - An astonishing achievement in nonlinear storytelling and technical worldbuilding. The best ending I have ever seen in a video game and most forms of media for that matter.
  2. Apex Legends - An incredibly well-designed game that gets so much right in such a new form of multiplayer shooter, and has continued to provide new stories to tell with friends throughout the year.
  3. The Outer Worlds - A lovingly made return to a form that hasn't gotten as much love in recent years. Smart storytelling and likable characters make this game more than the sum of its parts.
  4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - A tough game that didn't hit for me in the way other From Software games have. The craftsmanship on display and the action it translates to on the screen can't be denied though. Sekiro is an incredible action game.
  5. Gears 5 - Gears 5 is the result of a developer firing on all cylinders. The game is just fun as hell and incredible to see in motion while also telling a fantastic story with everything you want from characters caught up in an action adventure as frenetic as this one.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Had a shitty year, did not play many new games after June...

1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Even though I have vocally complained about the difficulty scaling in a couple of threads, it's an achievement of a game wrapped around an extremely satisfying battle system, with typical great From design. A little "vanilla" next to their more fantastical games, but still incredible.
  2. SaGa: Scarlet Grace Ambitions - I absolutely love the battle system, one of the top 5 JRPG battle systems of all time for sure. I also love the huge amount of sidequests, the open nature of the world and your choices, the huge party building options, the way the game is designed to move you forward through systems and quests. Was very close to number one, and might still be edited to being so before the deadline.
  3. Ring Fit Adventure - Fitness. Made fun!
  4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I haven't beaten it, or got even close yet, even on just my first run. But I still know I love it, and that it's an incredibly addictive experience.
  5. Super Mario Maker 2 - Like the first, but more.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Control. This felt like the culmination of everything Remedy has done previously. Wonderful atmosphere.
  2. Sayonara Wild Hearts. Like a refined, nonstop Uncharted set-piece.
I wish I had more entries, but, frankly, this year sucked for new game releases.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Quite a good year honestly.

1. Gears 5 - I absolutely am loving the direction that The Coalition is taking with Gears.
  2. Devil May Cry 5 - First DMC game that I actually finished. I wasn't a big fan of DMC4 but DMC5 was able to pull me in from the first levels. Combat just felt so good and characters were over-the-top crazy!
  3. Resident Evil 2 - I didn't expect to like a RE game this much. Went into this expecting a great game but ended up really loving this game and the series.
  4. Void Bastards - Small roguelike action game that oozed space pirate atmosphere accompanied by an amazing soundtrack. It also has a robot dog grenade.
  5. Crackdown 3 - No shame. One of the few open-world titles that I replayed within its launch month. Great music alongside some dumb fun that oddly enough felt insanely refreshing.
  6. Blazing Chrome - Never been a fan of Contra-like games but I really liked BC mostly because of its over-the-top levels.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - One of the easiest GOTY's I have ever given. Superb gameplay, that gives me a rush unlike any other game. The precision parrying in this game makes fights with even common low enemies rewarding. The final boss fight is legendary.
  2. World of Warcraft Classic - It wasn't nostalgia, this is a better game than modern WoW. The dungeons, raids, community are far more engaging and I haven't stopped playing since release.
  3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - The best of Fire Emblem finally brought back to console. Excellent Switch debut, and hopefully the series continues to grow in popularity so the production values can match the great gameplay.
  4. Resident Evil 2 - Capcpcom is back baby, finally delivering the game we have been waiting ages for.
  5. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - A functional mix mash of other, better games but held together by the Star Wars IP. The combat needs more work, but hopefully the sequel can tighten things up, in comparison to Sekiro it fares quite poorly.
  6. Days Gone - Similar to Star Wars FO, a mix mash of other better games, but this game felt different in the sense that it has a clear identity when it comes to combat/hordes. Would have ranked higher than Star Wars FO if it wasn't as janky and jittery as it was (not that Star Wars FO was a technical marvel either).
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Continuing in the games marred by technical issues, this game has no right to run as choppy as it does. They did a good job reinventing it for Switch, but the performance was disappointing.
  8. The Outer Worlds - Fallout with the fluff padding/filler and better writing, didn't know what we were missing.
  9. Judgment - RGG studio make engrossing games, but the tailing missions were a drag. It felt like they didn't go far enough though, but Yakuza 7 looks to be changing that up finally.
  10. Mortal Kombat 11 - Didn't enjoy it quite as much as I'd hoped, but NRS once again delivered the best fighting game of the year.

I did not get to play Death Stranding or Pokemon Sw/Sh, or else I have a feeling this list would be different.

JetJaguar88

Nov 7, 2017
  1. Resident Evil 2 - A masterpiece that manages to elegantly shift a classic into a new gameplay style.
  2. Devil May Cry 5 - Best comeback story of the decade.
  3. Luigi's Mansion 3 - I might like this game even more than the first one. Levels are just pure, addictive fun.
  4. Judgment - A great side story in the Yakuza franchise that I hope blossoms into its own series.
  5. Baba is You - Easily the coolest idea for a game I've seen all year. Amazingly creative and very difficult.
  6. My Friend Pedro - An absolute delight. Quick and fun, I can easily see myself replaying it in the future.
  7. Cadence of Hyrule - I hope this game leads to Nintendo lending out more of their IPs to indie devs. Also best soundtrack of 2019.
  8. Death Stranding - Artsy and weird, though I haven't dug deep enough into it yet for it to make it very high on my list.

Jan 15, 2018
  1. Control - This Is the kind of game I've wanted for a long time. As huge fan of weird fiction and the SCP Foundation, it delivered on all fronts. Rock solid gameplay, beautiful graphics, and a willingness to get strange make this my game of the year. Also you can fly.
  2. Disco Elysium - I had been looking forward to this one for some time, it's the first game from a new studio, so I didn't expect anything that would blow me away, this game shattered my expectations. Great writing, insane freedom of choice, and a perfect understanding of what makes a CRPG great are why this one is on my list.
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - The first From game i've truly enjoyed in quite some time, the Souls games and Bloodborne never really clicked with me, but i've now finished Sekiro twice, which is a testament to how good it is.
  4. Metro Exodus - The game I built my PC for and what I thought would be my game of the year. While things didn't quite end up that way, it's still one of my favorite games of the year. I found it a great conclusion to one of the most underappreciated FPS series in games.
  5. Baba Is You - Baba is Great
  6. Sunless Skies - An across the board improvement on what made Sunless Seas addictive and fun.
  7. Super Mario Maker 2 - It's everything I loved about the first game but with more things to make levels with.
  8. Astral Chain - Might end up my favorite Platinum game. Excellent action and a much better than expected story, all wrapped in an interesting sci-fi aesthetic
  9. A Plague Tale: Innocence - This game came out of nowhere. I had seen gameplay around a year or two ago and it always looked alright, I didn not expect the beautiful emotional thrill ride this game became.
  10. Manifold Garden - Feels like a spiritual sucessor to Antichamber, but also very much it's own thing, the game is halfway between an interactive art piece and a puzzle game
Honorary Mentions:
-Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
-My Friend Pedro
-Eastshade
-Barotrauma
-Hades
-Bloodstained: Ritual of The Night

Widdowmaker

Oct 31, 2017
Great Britain
  1. Disco Elysium - Are you a superstar cop, or just a delusional drunk?
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - If you like anime and moving characters across a grid, then this is the game for you.
  3. The Outer Worlds - This is the game Fallout 4 wishes it was.
  4. Astral Chain - Proving Platinum are still the kings of the action genre.
  5. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - The best Castlevania game in years.
  6. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters!
  7. Samurai Shodown - Any game which makes me forgive the abomination that was Samurai Shodown Sen deserves its place in this list.
  8. Resident Evil 2 - If it wasn't just a remake it would definitely be higher in this list.
  9. Super Mario Maker 2 - It's Mario, it's always fun.
  10. Shenmue III - It's not that good, but I'm still in shock I've finally played it after 18 years of waiting.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - The online systems in this game are more impactful than anything I've experienced all year. It gave me a sense of connection and optimism about people in a time of isolation and bitterness in my life. It made it a little bit easier to assume the good in people.
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Contains some of the best bosses I've ever seen and really crates a compelling and interesting world. Too easy, though.
  3. Control - It feels like Remedy keeps improving and Control is a wonderful culmination of their weird quirks into something that is striking and wonderful.
  4. Devil May Cry 5 - This was what I've been waiting for in the character action genre since the first Bayonetta.
  5. Resident Evil 2 - The greatest remake ever done.
  6. World of Warcraft: Classic - It's an amazing game that truly retained that feeling from release.
  7. Apex Legends - I fell off lately but I can't deny its the most fun I've had with the genre to date
  8. Gears 5 - A great stride after a boring installment with Gears 4
  9. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - My favorite Star Wars game since KOTOR.
  10. Baba Is You - This game is so unbelievably smart that I can't help but admire it, even knowing I'll never finish it.
Game I wish I played: Judgement

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Sekiro had the most intense and rewarding combat of 2019. I screamed in joy after beating the last boss. Sekiro gave me the highest highs of 2019. My personal GOTY.
  2. Resident Evil 2 - A remake of epic proportions that delivers superbly. It compliments but also carves its own path in the world of Resident Evil.
  3. Death Stranding - Kojima delivers with his grandiose and creative, if flawed, vision for a better near-future world.
  4. Control - Awesome TPS shooter with supernatural abilities but it's the drip feed of weird and paranatural story that really stuck with me. Makes the SCP nerd in me scream in joy.
  5. Darkwood - Genuinely creepy and unsettling. One of the scariest games I've played in a long time. Darkwood had me hooked from beginning to end.
  6. Beat Saber - An intensely enjoyable VR rhythm game that had me playing for longer than I expected.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
2019 was pretty dang solid. At the end of each right up below I also provide a YouTube link to the game's trailer so you can see the game in motion if you are so inclined.

1. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order - If you are not a fan of Marvel superheroes I can't imagine this game will do anything for you, but if you are, there is a lot to love with Ultimate Alliance 3. This was my video game junk food of 2019. A game to just let yourself sink into and mash away at enemies. The roster is solidly diverse and the gameplay loop is fun. Using your superpowers to go through hordes of enemies has not grown old in the 80+ hours I spent with the game in 2019. There is a ton of content here, so much so that I still haven't completed all the missions and I am still about 60+ levels away from the level cap on my strongest character. I have been playing it almost exclusively in local coop with my brother and it has been a lot of fun to continuously revisit it since it first released. I played through this game on the Nintendo Switch. Click here to see the trailer on YouTube.

4QGgEaF.png

2. Overwhelm - I love a good horror aesthetic but I also love me some action. Overwhelm does a beautiful job of making an incredible horror experience with a minimalist pixel art style where the screen gets progressively darker and less visible every time you lose a life. One hit makes you lose a life, lose all your lives and it is game over, with you having to restart from the beginning. The map remains constant and the bosses are always in the same place, however, the normal enemies in the world are randomly placed. The twist in this game is that every time you kill a boss, the normal enemies get the bosses power (spitting acid or flying faster), making the game harder as you progress and making you carefully consider what order you want to tackle them in. A full run is pretty dang short and while the difficulty quickly ramps up as you reach the end of a run the game is pretty forgiving of the occasional dumb mistake. The coop mode is works perfectly and I had a blast playing it both alone and with my brother. I played through this game on the Nintendo Switch. Click here to see the trailer on YouTube.

Kzb9emS.png

HFYcq9b.png
  3. Mechstermination Force - Contra of the Colossus. That is every bit as awesome as it sounds. Fight giant mech bosses by climbing up them. No other fluff gameplay in-between, just all bosses, all the time. Played through the whole thing in co-op and loved every minute. Some levels a bit more challenging than others but it never gets frustratingly hard nor does it ever feel unfair. I played through this game on the Nintendo Switch. Click here to see the trailer on YouTube.

l4a8qKa.png

4. Gato Roboto - An adorable and very short metroidvania. I absolutely loved the level designs and gameplay variety and was bummed when I reached the end. I am not a cat person but the smol pixelated Kiki the cat and the hilarious story provided one of my favorite experiences of this year. I played through this game on the Nintendo Switch. Click here to see the trailer on YouTube.

Z9bt04T.png

5. Double Cross - Really fun platformer that scratched the right itch at the right time for me. You play as a RIFT agent (basically the space FBI) and levels play out but jumping/avoiding falls, using your gravity beam grappling hook, and fighting enemies with your hands and feet. A straightforward level selecter allows you to play through three worlds in any order you want. There is a light investigation story that takes place in the hub world where you select your levels. I found the story charming and entertaining, and the dialogue paths are by and large optional and never overstay their welcome. The collectibles are never too hard to find and the platforming likewise strikes a good balance where it never feels impossible nor does it feel brainless. I played through this game on the Nintendo Switch. Click here to see the trailer on YouTube.

s7GC9N2.png

6. Katana Zero - I was incredibly surprised by how story focused this was. I came looking for side scrolling Hotline Miami but the story ended up elevating Katana Zero above and beyond Hotline. Stylish as hell with a killer soundtrack to boot. I played through this game on the Nintendo Switch. Click here to see the trailer on YouTube.

K0kpEuK.png

7. Hell is Other Demons - A bullet hell arena shooter where you play as a demon killing other demons in short levels that can all be finished without ever firing a single shot. If you do want to fight back a bit more aggressively there are a slew of upgrades to purchase and an endless survival mode if you want to go for a high score, which I did indulge in on more than one occasion. The controls are tight and the simple art style and soundtrack are wonderful. I played through this game on the Nintendo Switch. Click here to see the trailer on YouTube.

AW5UX51.png

8. Resident Evil 2 - I am a huge fan of action Resident Evil (RE4-6) and was incredibly disappointed with the direction of RE7. RE2 feels like a compromise to satisfy everyone. I appreciated the familiar camera and controls, and the small environments that you get to know quite well as you repeatedly explore them, and how zombies who died would stay dead and those who didn't would stay alive until you dealt with them. Would I have preferred an actual, action-heavy followup to RE6? Absolutely. But this was nice too. Also, Claire's campaign > Leon's campaign. I played through this game on the Xbox One X. Click here to see the trailer on YouTube.

NCFN0lq.png

9. Witcheye - I am not entirely sure how to describe this game. I guess it is a platformer, although not in the traditional sense. You play as an eyeball and navigate around enviornments, defeating enemies and battle bosses. The art is absolutely beautiful and the soundtrack is solid too. I'm not usually a fan of touch controls but this one feels fine. Simple to play and provides just the right amount of challenge. I played through this game on an iPhone SE. Click here to see the trailer on YouTube.

s2MeFvO.png

10. Gunman Clive HD Collection - It has a simple art style that complements its simple gameplay. Light platforming as you shoot enemies, occasionally picking up power ups. I absolutely loved the first game and actually felt it was a stronger game than the second, which added a lot more elements that didn't all end up landing. The different playable characters is a nice touch and encouraged me to run through these incredibly short games multiple times to get a different challenge. I played through this game on the Nintendo Switch. Click here to see the trailer on YouTube.

IvsXrOS.png

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
  1. Death Stranding - I've never played a game where the act of navigating the world is this interesting. The network features are so unique and I could really see this creating a new trend for games to include "strand" features. The gameplay loop is fantastic, the world is so engaging, it's kojima unleashed. It's not perfect, but goddamn, what a fantastic game.
  2. Devil May Cry 5 - It's almost everything I ever wanted out of a DMC game. They made nero's combat way more interesting, and dantes weapons make him the most versatile character ever. And they finally answered all the lingering questions from DMC4. The level design for later levels isn't great, the way the story is told is very confusing, and the lack of a playable Vergil is dissapointing. But overall it's character-action-combat perfected.
  3. Days Gone - I had tempered expectations, but this game ended up impressing me. It has great tension, and a fantastic sense of progression. The hordes are such a fun mechanic and add level of unprectibility to the world. You start off struggling against 3 zombies, but by the end of the game, you are mowing down 400+ zombies with little sweat.
Some other games i played but not finished this year;
I havent finished KH3, because it's too boring.
And havent finished Sekrio, because it's too hard.
And havent finished RE2, because it's too scary.

MarcoGorgar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro
  1. Resident Evil 2 - Thank you Capgod. Best remake of all time.
  2. Untitled Goose Game - The ONLY HONK HONK that matters. The others HH needs to DIE.
  3. Control - Great design, gameplay and protagonist. Thank u so much Remedy.
  4. Sayonara Wild Hearts - Best Soundtrack of the year, awesome style, lyrics. I NEED a Sayonara Wild Hearts 2 TODAY. I DEMAND another!
  5. Bloodstained - Top 10 Best Metroidvanias. Good atmosphere, mechanics, pacing, songs..
  6. Blasphemous - Ugly, dirty and bloody metroidvania... A special tone about religion. Another Great soundtrack!
  7. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair - I was really thirsty for a new Rayman Legends and DKC. And this game gave me life. What a phenomenal surprise!
  8. A Plague Tale: Innocence - Story is dark and deep, with good characters (performances too) and environments. Rats are terrifying and fun at same time.
  9. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled - Better than Mario Kart 8. Superb remake!
  10. River City Girls - Nice art and special soundtrack. This beatemup is special in my heart.

Other games that deserve s special mention:
Star Wars Jedi, Sekiro, Super Mario Maker 2, Death Stranding, Blazing Chrome, Virgo VErsus the Zodiac

Creature in the Well, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Mortal Kombat 11, Luigi´s Mansion 3, Judgment,

Wolfenstein:Youngblood, Ace Combat 7, Metro Exodus, Cadence of Hyrule, Days Gone, Astral Chain,

Shenmue 3, Remnant:From The Ashes, Baba is You , Riot:Civil Unrest, Children of Morta, Warsaw

Unruly Heroes, Indivisible, Katana Zero, ToeJam & Earl: Back In The Groove, Valfaris, Memory of Us,

Fight And Rage, Sky Racket, Mutazione, Man of Medan, After Party, Weedcraft, The Messenger,

Observation, Shovel Knight- King of Cards, Catherine: Full Body Remaster, Dark Devotion, Undermine,

Touhou Luna NIghts, Creature in the Well, Sea Salt, Eternal Castle Remastered, Noita

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
  1. Disco Elysium - This game has everything. It's smart, funny, gorgeous, kind.. if I could marry a game I would offer my hand. The game inspired me to paint. 🎨 Art-cop saves the day! It even inspired me to learn som Estonian! As a Finn, it's so close yet so far away 😂
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Amazing action, an enjoyable world, fantastic visuals/sound.. I would date this game for years tbh. Uncertain of marriage, but would probably hang around for a loooong while. Also a great game for learning Japanese, available on Steam with Japanese interface, voices and subtitles.
  3. Resident Evil 2: Remake - I had never played the original, and this rebirthed my love for the series. A chilling joy from beginning to end. Replayed it 5..6...7... 8 times now? And will probably play it again someday. Great characters and pitch-perfect gameplay. Big love. Same as above, great game for learning Japanese, available with Japanese speech, interface and subtitles.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Of the games I've played to completion:

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I was surprised how much this game drew me in. I really wasn't expecting it but I'm super happy with how great this game turned out to be and I'm still not done all the routes!
  2. Astral Chain - It's so refreshing to play a great action game like this again from Platinum Games.
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - While I will say that I was a bit disappointed by the performance dips I experienced, it wasn't enough to distract me from how wonderful it was to play LA brought to life again.
  4. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order - Just a really fun and in your face comic book come to life as a video game!

Good luck to all the worthy games that came out this year! I wish I had more time to play lots of other games~

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't play much this year, my vote wouldn't be fair.
But what about a ResetEra Games of the Decade election ?

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Loved how after a certain point the combat system just clicked for me. The story and atmosphere are top notch as well.
  2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - I'm so attached to this series and its characters now. Falcom hit it out of the park with this one. Really happy this series is getting the recognition it deserves.
  3. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers - Played through the entirety of FF14 this year. glad I've caught up sad I missed out on the lore discussions as the game was developing. This game brought back my faith in the Final Fantasy name as I hadn't enjoyed a mainline one since FF10 (didnt play 11).
  4. AI: The Somnium Files - Great characters, I wasn't sure what to expect going into this but I'm so glad I jumped in. Really felt an attachment to the cast by the end of it.
  5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - FE Fates honestly lost me when I played it one of the worst written games I have ever played. So going into this game I was very apprehensive. Glad to say the game was very well written and the gameplay was great. Still have to go through 2 routes.
  6. Astral Chain - Platinum is one of my faviroute developers. I enjoyed the combat of this game... but to be honest was left disappointed with most other things. Didn't like the story mainly due to silent protagonist and the way he/she is used during the story. The investigation side quests being counted for ranks. Ranks during combat being calculated in a stupid way that means you can just spam items and get the highest rank. I want to get better and master the combat because its so great but the parts of the game I don't like are so intrusive I don't know if I'll ever get to that. Its still on my list only due to the combat.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - one of the best games to come from from software for me. Fantastic gameplay and one of the most rewarding games I've played this gen
  2. Death Stranding - unique experience that i think will stay with me for a while. Although not perfect i really enjoyed this and I'm looking forward to what's next from Kojima productions
  3. Resident Evil 2: Remake - never played the original so this was all new to me and i absolutely loved it, can't wait for the the sequel remake!
  4. Call of duty: modern warfare - i haven't played a cod this much since mw2 on ps3, really fun and addictive. The co-op mode is pretty disappointing but the multiplayer is the best one in years for me

Fizz

Jul 15, 2019
Ontario, Canada
  1. Control - This was like playing inside of an episode of Fringe and Twin Peaks. This is not a complaint, it was beautiful and weird. We need more games like this.
  2. Death Stranding - I appreciate Kojima for making a game that is literally about "bridging" connections between different peoples and places. It was also one of the most visually stunning games I've played on the PS4.
  3. Slay the Spire - The hundreds of hours I've sunk into this game are my reason for listing this game here. It's game-play loop is simple and addictive. Such a dangerous game to play, just one more turn.
  4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - This game took everything I loved about the "souls-like" genre and added a fresh energy and verticality to the game. It's also enjoyable to watch your enemies die through a stream of blade & blood.
  5. Super Mario Maker 2 - Infinite Mario levels made by a community that has passion and love for all things platforming. So much creativity in the community. I am never bored when I load up this game and look to see what new creation someone has shared with the rest of the world.
  6. The Outer Worlds - Fallout New Vegas 2.0 for the modern era. It's everything I've ever wanted in an Obsidian game. Make sure you pair up with Parvati, she's an amazing companion.
  7. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - All my children are dangerous and all of them are beloved. Best anime school murder simulator of 2019!
  8. Untitled Goose Game - My favorite game about being an asshole goose.
  9. Blasphemous - This game surprised me. It follows a very familiar "souls-like" sidescrolling/platformming recipe, but it's the art style and the gothic aesthetic that I am completely here for. Definitely worth your time.
  10. No Man's Sky Beyond - This continues to be a game that grows and evolves and makes good on the promise it had trouble with delivering on it's release day. It's also just beautiful and chill to wander around and mine/harvest/grow my planet.
  11. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled - Technically a "re"-release, but hot damn, what a fun ass game.
  12. Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition - Another "re"-release, but one you should add to your list. It's everything good about the original with tweaks and quality of life improvements. Just one more turn.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Terrible year for me personally, but I'll put down 3 games I really enjoyed.
  1. Borderlands 3
  2. Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled
  3. Untitled Goose Game

NovaXz

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
New York, New York
  1. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - Souls-like combat meshed with Metroid style gameplay in the Star Wars universe; what more needs to be said. Oh, and it turned out to be fantastic!
  2. Resident Evil 2 - My favorite gaming franchise brought into 2019 via a remake of one of the best games in said franchise. Beautiful visuals, fantastic gameplay and plenty of zombie slaying delight.
  3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I don't normally love hard games, but the Souls games have a place in my heart. Sekiro demanded perfection from me and it got it; even if it literally took me about 30 tries to take down Genichiro and 45 to take down the final boss.
  4. A Plague Tale: Innocence - A harrowing journey from the perspective of a brother and sister and a truly memorable one at that. I didn't see A Plague Tale coming and I don't think many in the gaming community did either. I highly recommend everyone play it.
  5. Control - I've always been fond of Remedy games and while I liked Quantum Break (sans the final boss), I didn't love it. Control changed all that. superb world building, fun gameplay and a truly unique setting make for one of my favorite games in quite a while.
  6. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - I've never really been into Castlevania games but Bloodstained managed to grab me in a way I never expected. The gameplay loop coupled with the sheer weirdness of the game made it a shoe in for my top 10 of the year.
  7. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - I'm not big on the strategy RPG genre, but Fire Emblem managed to change that with great characters, fantastic writing and fun/simple combat. It also helps that it managed to be an easy game to get into while having a newborn.
  8. Gears 5 - What can I say about Gears. The franchise has always been great imho, and Gears 5 managed to kick it up a notch. Beautiful visuals, fantastic tried and true gameplay and continued growth for the characters and world building of the franchise. I'm excited to see what happens in Gears 6, especially after the "choice" you have to make in the last chapter.
  9. Astroneer - Another game on my list that isn't typically my thing, but one that managed to grab me in a way I didn't expect. I'm not usually into the survival/crafting style games, but the game ended up being the perfect game to pick up and play for a couple of hours at a time. Relaxing fun!
  10. Void Bastards - I typically don't like rogue-likes, because of the time investment and repetitive nature of their gameplay. Void was different for a number of reasons, including its comic visual style, great humor and simple gameplay. It also helps that dying didn't feel like a harsh penalty for a number of reasons; including the different character traits you got and the things that carried over to your next run.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
1. Slay the Spire - fun roguelike deckbuilder. i put 350 hours into it before it even came out of early access
2. Eliza - game about a silicon valley therapist app and meditation on complicity in capitalism
3. Disco Elysium - best of both the crpg and point and click genres. game is great and i cant wait to see games influenced by it
4. Hypnospace Outlaw - 90s browser game with great soundtrack. really gets the time period
5. Hades - possibly the most polished action roguelike yet with fun greek god plot
6. Baba is You - excellent puzzlegame using essentially programmer like logic. very hard
7. DOTA Autochess - The first of the auto battler genre. unfortunately its now dead as it is still the best thats come out
8. Borderlands 3 - more of the same with some polish. not a bad thing but not revolutionary by any means
9. Kingdom Hearts 3 - smoothed down version of the kingdom hearts series with somehow every version of their combat combined. some great fights and some bad pacing
10. Dicey Dungeons - a "dicebuilder". great music great polish, gameplay is a bit random for my tastes and can get quite hard

You need to use the Ordered List formatting option and bold the titles of the games for your vote to count.

I really hope you come back and fix it, because you made good choices.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Loved how after a certain point the combat system just clicked for me. The story and atmosphere are top notch as well.
  2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - I'm so attached to this series and its characters now. Falcom hit it out of the park with this one. Really happy this series is getting the recognition it deserves.
  3. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers - Played through the entirety of FF14 this year. glad I've caught up sad I missed out on the lore discussions as the game was developing. This game brought back my faith in the Final Fantasy name as I hadn't enjoyed a mainline one since FF10 (didnt play 11).
  4. AI: Somnium Files - Great characters, I wasn't sure what to expect going into this but I'm so glad I jumped in. Really felt an attachment to the cast by the end of it.
  5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - FE Fates honestly lost me when I played it one of the worst written games I have ever played. So going into this game I was very apprehensive. Glad to say the game was very well written and the gameplay was great. Still have to go through 2 routes.
  6. Astral Chain - Platinum is one of my faviroute developers. I enjoyed the combat of this game... but to be honest was left disappointed with most other things. Didn't like the story mainly due to silent protagonist and the way he/she is used during the story. The investigation side quests being counted for ranks. Ranks during combat being calculated in a stupid way that means you can just spam items and get the highest rank. I want to get better and master the combat because its so great but the parts of the game I don't like are so intrusive I don't know if I'll ever get to that. Its still on my list only due to the combat.

Put a 'The' in AI: The Somnium Files or it won't count.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
eE5PkI8.jpg

1. Death Stranding - Death Stranding is in a weird way like Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Some didn't like it because it was something new, something never seen before but Death Stranding is Kojima's best work to date. I cannot believe how satisfying and addicting the gameplay is. It looks so simple, so boring but in the core it offers something really unique, something nobody has ever done before. But he did it, Kojima and his Team created an incredible world, a complex story with a killer cast and they all did an amazing job. I had big expectations but he lived up the hype. It still amazes me, how perfectly everything in the game comes together. The story, the gameplay, the world. For me, Death Stranding is an unforgettable experience! Thank you Kojima!.

VovTNDN.jpg
  2. Resident Evil 2 - I was way too young when the original Resident Evil 2 came out. Resident Evil 2 might be the best remake ever done in video game history. It looks astonishing. Controls feel like current gen-wise, level design is absolutely on point, and boy, i freaked out when I first encountered Mr. X. God damn Capcom, this might be your finest work in this decade. I was not a huge fan of Resident Evil before, but after 7 and now this one, count me in for Resident Evil 3. Great job Capcom.

IMClpND.png
  3. STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order - Yes, I was worried. Yes, I wasn't expecting something enjoyable. But I was wrong. Jedi: Fallen Order proves that you can rely on Respawn. They have combined the best parts of the games in the current gen. Got elements from Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Dark Souls and God of War. And fit it in the Star Wars universe. The final product is amazing. Yes, the game still feels little bit unpolished but it's amazing what they have achieved in such a short amount of time. I enjoyed it very much.

IHPBLOc.jpg
  4. Tom Clancy's The Division 2 - The hype was immense. But i do think that The Division 2 had the best start a GaaS can ever dream off. It felt so finished, so big and the changes from the prequel were great. What blows me away is the engine behind the game. Boy, the game looks bonkers. There were some aspects, which I didn't like but overall it was a great time and I hope I will dive in again in 2020.

4t8Lj2x.jpg
  5. Control - I think Control is the exact product what Ninja Theory achieved with Hellblade before. No one thought it would be that good and in the end, Control offers a very unique world, with a very thrilling story to tell and great powers. It looks so AAA-wise even the budget was pretty small. I really loved the protagonist, the metroidvania system and how strange the world has been built up. And wanted to say that the maze is one of the best parts I have experienced in 2019!

APXyowy.jpg
  6. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I was never good in those kind of games. Never played Dark/Demon's Souls but I was in love with Bloodborne. Miyazaki and his team proves again, why they are capable off to create a gameplay, which is perfectly executed. I haven't finished Sekiro but I enjoyed my time with it. I can see why this game has so many beloved fans.

INzE9pB.jpg
  7. Days Gone - Days Gone is fine. Yes, it was too long but I gpt hooked by the world creation and killing all the hordes. Sony Bend's first AAA game is a great game but could be much better but I still enjoyed it and waiting very eagerly for the sequel!

iL0NOlJ.jpg
  8. Borderlands 3 - Damn, I was never a fan of the Borderlands series but this game showed me how good actually it is! If I have played the game in co-op, and spent more time, I think It would be in my Top 5 but it's still very good!

8MI6Ggt.jpg
  9. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - I'm still playing Iceborne, even I rarely touch games when i finish them. Iceborne is a fantastic expansion, sharpens up the gameplay and offers a new world with many new monsters! Cannot believe how satisfying the gameplay is!

dSSMsSA.jpg
  10. Metro Exodus - Even Metro Exodus is my "worst game" in my Top 10, it's probably one of the best shooters in this generation. I wasn't in love with the new direction (semi open-world) but it felt interesting. But the parts I really liked were the characters, the story and the survival gameplay. And those parts are mostly always the negatives ones in shooter games.

11. Life is Strange 2 - The prequel was a 10/10 for me. But I think I didn't like the direction of the sequel that much. The final episode was great but almost everything in the middle left me cold.
  12. Luigi's Mansion 3 - I'm still not done with the game but this game has such a great tone! I really love everything so far!
  13. A Plague Tale: Innocence - Great adventure game with a very interesting rats feature. I really liked the world and how dark it felt!
  14. Football Manager 2020 - About 70 hours in. God damn. Same shit every each year...

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Astral Chain - Action games aren't really my jam. I've only ever finished Bayonetta 2 with the easy options. Usually these kind of games are just to fast for me. Astral Chain also has fast action, but your Legion does some auto attacks which helped me a lot. The fast paced action also comes with a really welcome slower section where you play detective Batman. I also really liked the looks of Astral Chain and I enjoyed the soundtrack. All in all it was the perfect game for me this year.
  2. Tetris 99 - It's Tetris with 99 people playing at once. I never knew I needed this as much as I did. My first victory was soooooo good. I felt like I could take on the world. Next battle got me to 77th place. :')
  3. The Outer Worlds - We all know the story of Fallout and even though The Outer Worlds isn't really a Fallout game it scratches the itch just enough to satisfy my first person RPG needs. It's also a really fun game to play.
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - My favorite game from the GameBoy era just got a lot better. The new QOL improvements are fantastic and everything is so damn cute! Lovely wholesome game.
  5. Blood & Truth - This year I finally stepped into VR and with Tetris Effect and Astro Bot I was more than satisfied. When I tried Blood & Truth, which came free with PSVR, I wasn't expecting anything good. But it was. Could've been a Jason Statham movie story wise.
  6. Luigi's Mansion 3 - My most anticipated game of the year was a bit disappointing. Not that it was a bad game, far from it! It's the most beautiful game I played this year, it is funny and has a shit ton of collectibles. It's just missing something special, but I can't quite explain what it is though...
  7. Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - XI was one of the Final Fantasy games I didn't finish before, so I was very happy with the Switch release and the faster battle options. It's a great Final Fantasy that needs a little attention as you set up the battle commands, but gives you a very satisfying auto battle afterwards.
  8. Kingdom Hearts III - Yeah, I didn't understand the story. Pretty game though!
  9. Grandia - The HD port for Switch is kinda wonky but the game itself is an amazing adventure and the ending is super sweet! Unfortunately I didn't have the time to play the sequel yet. That's for next year.
  10. Final Fantasy IX - Best Final Fantasy squad in history.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - I am shocked that the expansion to an already content filled and absolutely fun game, seems to somehow add even more than the base experience. While alot of the content comes in forms of tweaks. It still cannot be ignored how large the changes feel. Not only to the new areas but also how you can approach older content as well. This has made an already great game even better.
  2. Devil May Cry 5 - As a fan of the series, I can only smile at the return to form. While there was a spin off that was decent, the problem was that there was a very long gap between this title and the previous entry. That lead to fears of the series demise. This entry not only shows that the franchise is alive but it also is in better shape that it has ever been.
  3. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - Another series that was hit by lackluster sales, spin offs, and left fans with a fear that the franchise would not recover. But just like DMC5, the series returned and also is one of the best entries in the franchise history. This has been a great year for comeback stories.
  4. The Outer Worlds - Simple and straight forward WRPG type of title. Allows for large character customization, smooth gameplay, and options. Some games of this genre seem to either forget giving players options or have options there that do not matter and are a waste of time and stat points. Finally I built a charismatic character that actually could talk his way out of a situation. That earned alot of respect in my books.
  5. Death Stranding - What? I am supposed to just deliver packages? How calming. This doesn't seem to ba... wait, is that a shadow?..... what the...... oh dear god kojima what have you done?!?!
  6. Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers - Another entry that speaks of a return to form. being an MMO I find it always hard to recommend entries like this to people because of significant time that needs to be invested in title to bring player current. Even as such, this hits the list because for people who have gone through the time and story, this entry is filled with amazing plot turns, revelations, music and visuals, which cement that this entry can have clever nods and fanservice and yet also bring forward a unique story and emotions that stands on its own.
  7. No Man's Sky Beyond - Most amazing comeback story of them all. I have to be honest. I have yet to go through all the additions this entry has added. I still haven't gone through the additions the previous entry has added. And that makes this title a stand out. It's transformation from it's original release is so massive that the experience is not even comparable without compiling huge lists that spans pages. This title surpasses it's original release in every way and this entry represent another step forward in a journey alot of people thought was over.
  8. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - There is nothing much I can say about this title that cannot be understood by simply watching a video of the gameplay. Retro styling and art. A castlevania like title with solid design elements that make it extremely fun to play and perhaps is one of the best of its kind.

Any of those other awesome games mentioned in thread that I did not vote on is not because I didn't like them, it is that I have no opinion because I have not played them. Clearing backlog between playing new stuff have left me out in the cold in regards to some of the newer titles people are praising.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
  1. Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers - Last year, I honestly didn't think Shadowbringers will even made it to my top 5, but I'm glad I was wrong. It's absolutely the best Final Fantasy story in a long time. Overall experience playing this expansion is so memorable! I have a blast with Eden raids too. Thank you YoshiP and the team for making me fall in love with the series once more. Bonus praise to Soken for the music that goes so well with the narrative.
  2. Devil May Cry 5 - It worth the wait, and I waited 11 years for it. Gameplay is undeniable the best Itsuno ever make, and I'm impressed with the story too, Nero developed well to the point I prefer him to take the main lead than Dante now.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - I had so much fun with the game in the first play-through. Love the gameplay, art direction, and level design. Hope to see more polished RE game like this.
  4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - From did things differently and it worked. Simple but challenging gameplay. Playing Fallen Order make me appreciate how good Sekiro combat is.
  5. Death Stranding - The gameplay loop is really addicting. Beautiful game with interesting mechanics. Not my most favourite Kojima game, but great game nonetheless.

Teddified

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Kingdom Hearts 3 - I had the most fun returning to this series and laughed and cried along with it, I can't wait for the DLC it looks crazy.
  2. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - This game is just SOTN but it's different enough and has a bunch of it's own elements to make it amazing and great in it's own right.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - I'm a baby with horror, but this game was just something special so I took the chance and played it and just loved it.
  4. The Outer Worlds - A great RPG I had fun exploring the planets and exploring the lives of these people.
  5. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - The story started a bit blah but once it picked up I was hooked till the ending. The combat was fun also.
  6. Devil May Cry 5 - This was a great action game I loved my time with it the environments at the end were kinda bland but I had fun all the way through.
  7. Forager - A nice little indie game that came out this year, I had fun exploring and completing every islands while building everything I can.
  8. Far Cry New Dawn - I enjoyed building up the settlement and finishing the "story" that started in 5. The action and exploring was just as good as it has ever been.
  9. Rage 2 - This game has too much stuff I enjoyed playing it and getting all the powers but wish it was better.
  10. Crackdown 3 - I only played 10 "new" games this year and crackdown 3 was one of them. it was just ok.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
  1. Control- Creepy but not scary, the bizarre sci-fi adventure Control delivers on almost all fronts for yours truly. I was IN from the E3 trailer. Control is one of my favorite games of the decade. It's the mixture of Psi Ops, classic Remedy presentation and a sprinkle of David Lynch. The use of Dr. Casper Darling in FMVs, the redacted documents and the Threshold Kids vids make for some fantastic world building. Despite its woes technically, I platinumed Control because I wanted it. Some of these boss fights were brutal, the story was interesting and left me wanting more, the checkpoints are not the most friendly but warts and all, Control is my game of the year and nothing even comes close.
  2. Judgment- Judgment is such a great game. It delivers the classic Ryu Ga Gotoku experience with a dark and twisted main storyline and absurd and or asinine side missions including an overarching storyline where you take down a group of perverts including Ass Catchem. ASS CATCHEM. Did I sell you on the game now?
  3. Sayonara Wild Hearts- Sayonara Wild Hearts is a beautiful visual adventure with some of the best styyyle in 2019. An infectious pop soundtrack overlay some fun bite sized levels of colorful bliss while also delivering a cosmic story. Sayonara Wild Hearts is the best surprise of 2019. It moved me in ways I can't really put into words.
  4. Death Stranding- Hideo Kojima has made a game that I went in mostly blind in. I thought I'd hate the traversal mechanics of Death Stranding but instead I praise the mechanics. Problem solving and figuring out the most efficient way to deliver the packages is mental gymnastics but when you get that S rank, it's all worth. This placement is from a pure gameplay experience, the story is ridiculous but what do you expect from the man who created Metal Gear.
  5. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order- I have seen enough of it to realize its one of my favorite games of 2019. Lightsabers are rad, this game is pure adrenaline and fun, force pushing a storm trooper to his doom never gets old.
  6. The Surge 2- Just missing the top 5, my favorite soulsborne series delivered a damn good sequel with one of the more satisfying grind loops I've come across. A great open world, challenging and satisfying boss fights and an okay plot make The Surge 2 one of my favorites of 2019. It's the combination of the buttery smooth combat, the enemy variety and boss challenges and overall variety of open world locations that make The Surge 2 shine.
  7. A Plague Tale: Innocence- This tragic and grim story of siblings is scored by a fantastic soundtrack by Olivier Deriviere. It's actually one of my favorite games of the year, it's puzzle solving combines stealth and alchemy, you get more tools as the game progresses. The game makes some interesting choices that I won't spoil but you should see this one for yourself, truly a fantastic little gem much like Observation.
  8. Observation- Eerie from the start, Observation is a game about well observation. Playing as an AI named SAM, trying to figure out the puzzles of this game takes some critical thinking but the execution of acting like the AI itself is excellent. The farther the game goes along, the more thing are not what they seem. Observation is an underrated gem of 2019.
  9. The Outer Worlds- The Outer Worlds is great. It's fun, it's better than any Borderlands I've played (outside of Tales) but there is something just okay overall. The story was fine, the companionships hit or miss, the humor didn't always land and combat at times was tepid but it's still a good game, just not the best.
  10. Tom Clancy's The Division 2- Rah rah nonsense aside, The Division 2 was one of most addicting games I played in the early portion of 2019. A perfect shlooter, it delivered on a satisfying world of exploration, taking down evil forces and looking stylish as hell. The loop of taking down a network of mercenaries had me hooked from the start.

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Amazing game, with a phenomenal soundtrack.
  2. Pokemon Sword/Shield - Its Pokemon, whats not to like.
  3. Astral Chain - Once the combat clicks, this is the game that keeps on giving.
  4. Tetris 99 - The game you can keep on playing and allways have a different experience.
  5. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order - Great game, with some of my favourite marvel characters.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Beat Saber - Best VR game of the year.
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Great game that did not over stay its welcome. Now my favorite Zelda game.
  3. Resident Evil 2: Remake - Remake worthy of the original.
  4. Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition: Greatest strategy game of all time made for modern times.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition - Just a great, beautiful, polished turn based jrpg. What a gem.
  2. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Has the same magic of design that is present in the 3d Mario games, just a delightful experience.
  3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - A huge and content filled srpg, with great and unique characterization.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Amazing game, with a phenomenal soundtrack.
2. Pokemon Sword/Shield - Its Pokemon, whats not to like.
3. Astral Chain - Once the combat clicks, this is the game that keeps on giving.
4. Tetris 99 - The game you can keep on playing and allways have a different experience.
5. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order - Great game, with some of my favourite marvel characters.
make sure you put your list in an ordered format, or the bot won't pick it up

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
  1. Disco Elysium - I fell in love within minutes and by the end of our 50+ hour affair, it had cemented itself as one of my all-time favourites. There's probably a strong argument to be made for it being right at the very peak. The vivid writing gives life to a world and characters that I don't think I'll ever forget, the artists have painted ugliness in a beautiful way and the music is evocative of the kind of melancholy I think only Silent Hill 2 can claim to rival. The concept of your typical RPG party being made up your own conflicting neurological activity is a stroke of genius and something that worked so well in practice that I almost don't want to play any RPG that doesn't use this system going forward. It is also the funniest game I've ever played, by some distance. I'll be honest, I can be a right miserable bastard and it takes a very specific type of humour to crack my exterior; this game was penetrating that barrier several times an hour, and we're talking belly laughs. There's so much more to it than just comedy though, one of the final scenes of the game, a moment that would sound almost absurd in its premise if I were to briefly explain it and one I was expecting to be played entirely for laughs as it began to play out, ended up being one of the most touching things I've experienced in a game. Reading this praise back, it sounds like hyperbole, but no, I can't overstate how much I loved this game. I'll always cherish the time I spent with Harry and Kim.
  2. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - Thrilling. I think that's the word that best captures what makes me love Ace Combat. Everything about this game, the radio chatter, the screen shake when a missile connects, the music (my god, the music!), it all serves to enhance that feeling of being the best goddamn Ace who ever took to the skies. I typically need to put a game aside for months, if not years, before I can replay it, but I played through Ace Combat 7 twice in a row and I already want to go back for more. I'm so thankful Project Aces were able to make this for us and I hope they're given the opportunity again soon.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - Zombies are a threat again! That first foray into the police station was a highlight of this entire generation. Gorgeous visuals, great audio and a fantastic reimagining of a classic. Capcom delivered and I'm very much looking forward to Resident Evil 3.
  4. Gears 5 - It's more Gears. That kind of sounds like a knock but the series has been a consistent fountain of good times for me. I had a blast in co-op, there really isn't much more to say.
  5. The Outer Worlds - I was enthralled by my first 10-15 hours with this game. Unfortunately, somewhere in the middle third it lost some of its luster for me. It's not that it did anything especially wrong, I just think that the Edgewater area served as an excellent vertical slice that the rest of the game struggled to match up to. It's a good game, one that's definitely worth trying if you think it might be to your tastes, but by the end I was ready for it to be over with in a way that wasn't the case for the games I've placed above it.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
  1. Resident Evil 2 - Perfection of the survival horror formula, this brought me back into the franchise with gusto after falling off when it had devolved into anime action. I think I'm more excited for RE3 than any other game next year.
  2. Red Dead Online - I probably out three hundred hours into this over the course of the year. It has only gotten better and I'm very excited to see how it evolves.
  3. Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid - I'm not even a Power Rangers fan but the dedication and sheer love the devs have shown this game since it's launch have been inspiring. This is the little fighting game that could and I want more people to get in on it.
  4. Mortal Kombat 11 - A proper nostalgia bomb. Beautiful and well done, even though I only engage in the single player stuff.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
  1. Devil May Cry 5 - I waited this one for a decade and it delivered. I love the characters, I love the gameplay, I (finally) love the graphics (yeah I had my gripes with the new realistic style but now I'm very OK with it, I'm 100% fangirling the real models too hahaha). The story is a love letter to many fans. Not as deep as I desired but, eh, it's a DMC and honestly I care more about the interactions than the main storylines. And oh, I love the music too. BANG BANG BANG <3
  2. Astral Chain - I knew I'd love it because it's my jam. I really really loved the combat system, music too. I enjoyed the story and the atmosphere. Some irritating minigames but overall, pure enjoyment to me. My only concerns are about the console itself, I wish it was less aliased, and more polish on some environments, the beauty potential is huge but toned down by the console (still very fluid and beautiful, great job, a really cool new IP, I WANT MORE)
  3. Destiny 2 : Shadowkeep - My big surprise at the very end of the year. Stadia made me try this game. One thing : I usually don't like FPS at all. But this one ? Pure beauty (I bought it on Steam) there are some stunning environments the explorer in me is pretty happy, plenty content (I heard it was not the case at the release so if you were deceived, give it another try), interesting features. All my time got sucked into this game (I was supposed to work on personal projects lol). It's close to mmorpg with the daily quests and instancied content so I wasn't too much lost. Some QoL issues though, and I don't like to have to Google too many things (there are things really too vague or without a single hint in the game that's irritating)
  4. Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout - Another surprise because I never played to an 'Atelier' game before because I thought it was too 'girly', but... not at all, what a fool ! I love the alchemy system, many cool features, adorable characters and light hearted adventure. Interesting combat system with more depth than I thought, really nice ! I'll look forward for the other games now.
  5. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - Even better than the first one with great improvements of the features and QoL. But technically, it's a mess on Switch. A lot of perf issues, do yourself a favor and buy it on another platform if you can.
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Cute, funny, light hearted (wait... it was darker in my memories... or maybe because I was a teen + no colors on the fat Gameboy), the new features are cool I enjoyed it.
  7. God Eater 3 - The story is interesting if you take time to read, the game made me rewatch the anime. But the strength is in the combat system, really dynamic and cool. Repetitive though. Tiny instancied maps, no exploration, way under a Monster Hunter game. Plus graphics are outdated and music forgettable.
  8. Daemon X Machina - Mechas, ofc I'd love it. But... Somehow, I forgot the game and didn't beat it... I see the huge potential, but there is something missing. And very repetitive missions (but short so perfect for short sessions). Bold artistic choices, but I personally didn't like it (except colors, but characters are meh). Music is good though !!
  9. Ring Fit Adventure - Innovative gameplay, well done ! Good surprise. I need to play more though, I need motivation xD
  10. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - I love Monster Hunter series, and Capcom really did a good job this year with its franchises (MH, DMC, RE...). I can't wait to play on PC next year (and vote again for it haha). I put it at the end of the list because I'm still annoyed by the (very long) delay for the PC version.

I'm sorry for my English, I do my best. :|

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
  1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Amazing combat that is simple, yet deep. The best sword combat ever in a video game
  2. Resident Evil 2: Remake - Beautiful game that was also pretty damn scary. I was hearing footsteps even after I turned the game off
  3. Slay the Spire - I love card games and this is a near perfect digital implantation
  4. Tetris 99 - I had way more fun with this than I expected. So addictive.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
1. Disco Elysium - I fell in love within minutes and by the end of our 50+ hour affair, it had cemented itself as one of my all-time favourites. There's probably a strong argument to be made for it being right at the very peak. The vivid writing gives life to a world and characters that I don't think I'll ever forget, the artists have painted ugliness in a beautiful way and the music is evocative of the kind of melancholy I think only Silent Hill 2 can claim to rival. The concept of your typical RPG party being made up your own conflicting neurological activity is a stroke of genius and something that worked so well in practice that I almost don't want to play any RPG that doesn't use this system going forward. It is also the funniest game I've ever played, by some distance. I'll be honest, I can be a right miserable bastard and it takes a very specific type of humour to crack my exterior; this game was penetrating that barrier several times an hour, and we're talking belly laughs. There's so much more to it than just comedy though, one of the final scenes of the game, a moment that would sound almost absurd in its premise if I were to briefly explain it and one I was expecting to be played entirely for laughs as it began to play out, ended up being one of the most touching things I've experienced in a game. Reading this praise back, it sounds like hyperbole, but no, I can't overstate how much I loved this game. I'll always cherish the time I spent with Harry and Kim.

2. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown - Thrilling. I think that's the word that best captures what makes me love Ace Combat. Everything about this game, the radio chatter, the screen shake when a missile connects, the music (my god, the music!), it all serves to enhance that feeling of being the best goddamn Ace who ever took to the skies. I typically need to put a game aside for months, if not years, before I can replay it, but I played through Ace Combat 7 twice in a row and I already want to go back for more. I'm so thankful Project Aces were able to make this for us and I hope they're given the opportunity again soon.

3. Resident Evil 2 - Zombies are a threat again! That first foray into the police station was a highlight of this entire generation. Gorgeous visuals, great audio and a fantastic reimagining of a classic. Capcom delivered and I'm very much looking forward to Resident Evil 3.

4. Gears 5 - It's more Gears. That kind of sounds like a knock but the series has been a consistent fountain of good times for me. I had a blast in co-op, there really isn't much more to say.

5. The Outer Worlds - I was enthralled by my first 10-15 hours with this game. Unfortunately, somewhere in the middle third it lost some of its luster for me. It's not that it did anything especially wrong, I just think that the Edgewater area served as an excellent vertical slice that the rest of the game struggled to match up to. It's a good game, one that's definitely worth trying if you think it might be to your tastes, but by the end I was ready for it to be over with in a way that wasn't the case for the games I've placed above it.

Put your list in the "ordered list" format or it won't count!

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
e: will repost later in the thread because I massively botched the format here and never got a vote receipt

Last edited:

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Absolutely the best Fire Emblem game I've played. The cast is full of memorable characters with their own quirks that'll make you instantly fall in love with all of them. You're certain to get a lot of bang for your buck - you have over 300 hours' worth of well-written strategy anime-esque goodness that won't be found anywhere else. If Awakening wasn't enough to cement this as my favorite Nintendo franchise, Three Houses certainly did the deed. I've yet to play through Edelgard's route so I'm not done with it just yet - and I can't wait for the DLC coming out next year!
  2. Luigi's Mansion 3 - This might be Nintendo's most charming game this year. Luigi's personality is absolutely irresistible: his fluffy mustache was enough to hold me until the end of my playthrough. I admit the game started off a little rough for me and the mechanics took some getting used to, but once I got everything down it was all smooth sailing from there. The Gooigi mechanic adds a lot of depth to the core gameplay and I can't wait to see if that little fella will show up in later games. All later floors were an absolute blast and the bosses were very well thought-out. For those who wanted more unique characters, LM3 certainly delivers on that front.
  3. Octopath Traveler - I for one am a sucker for turn-based RPGs and coupled with the team behind Bravely Default - my favorite game of all time - there was no way this could go wrong to my eyes. I had to double dip on it and give it a second go on Steam. The aesthetics are extremely pleasing and the HD-2D sprites work tremendouly well with the beautifully designed background (which is bolstered by the awesome camera work). I couldn't help but fall in love with Tressa, her backstory was so likable and seeing her tread uncharted territories brought tears to my eyes - I felt like I was her own father. Overall a really strong offering by Square Enix.
  4. Pokémon Sword/Shield - All shortcomings aside, Sword & Shield delivered a bunch of top-notch monster designs and memorable Gym leaders. I was surprised by how interesting and likable most characters were, which is following in Sun/Moon's footsteps. It's for sure a game I'll be doing multiple playthroughs of in the future.

Unfortunately my list is quite short since I spent most of time catching up on my huge PS4 backlog and the only 2019 titles I played were from Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.