• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I was literally just about to write my GOTYs but i was too late lol

Still, perfect top 3:
  • The Legend of Zelda represent perfect revolution in a series approach and mechanics
  • Super Mario Odyssey revolutions the concept of pure fun and joy
  • NieR: Automata is a revolution in how it approaches meta narrative and storytelling, and how deep and touching videogames can really be
Definitely the 3 most important (as in: the industry should follow their lead) of this year, and together with other 2 (The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne) the pinnacle of this generation's gaming.

Proud of ERAs tastes!

PS: i'll admit though i would have inverted Zelda and NieR because the first burned me pretty badly halfway through (still worth of every praise though) and the latter is possibly my favourite game of all times

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I love Nier: Automata, although I'm surprised it bagged Best PC game.

Isn't this the same game that was getting plagued with some performance problems on there?
Best PC game literally just means the game with the most votes that also has a PC port. Most of those votes probably came from the PS4 version, if I had to guess.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like 2017 was a transformational year for gaming, and for Resetera, certainly. That top 10 list is in line with all the macro and micro movements in that regard. A good list!

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
There seems to be two resident evil 7 entries in the overall list

18. [pc ps4 xbo] resident evil vii biohazard (vr horror) = 406
25. [pc] resident evil 7 (action) = 284

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Very good list. P5, NieR and Hatsune Miku getting their genres makes me real happy.

Also very surprised at Tekken 7 getting best Fighting game. Did most of Era not like Injustice 2? I was sure it'd win there.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
About what I expected, aside from Xenoblade being so high. The list feels more like a popularity contest than anything. Games like Divinity II or Hollow Knight never stood a chance due to their smaller player base.

Raina

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 2 just barely beating PUBG is a welcome surprise. Also, Zelda cleaned shop. It's interesting how Nintendo won best publisher but the Switch came 3rd.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
swvwh1e.png

Shame on you Reset Era.

pretty sure I didn't vote

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping to see Prey at least make the top 10. Not surprising but still a shame. At least it made it to number 14 though!

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
A bit disappointed about Hellblade's performance. Other than that, I haven't played a single top 10 game (and just What remains of Edith Finch out of the top 20). But Horizon, RE7, Prey and Nier are on my to-do list.

Looking forward to SteamERA's GOTY :p

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surprised Persona 5 wasn't higher up on the list, and that NieR beat out Horizon. Either way, solid year overall with some excellent titles all around.

Side note the OP and graphics are great!

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see the Xenoblade 2 hot takes are coming. Preparing my popcorn for this. (It deserved higher than 9th btw but can't complain.)

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Great list though RE7 being best Xbox one game doesn't seem right to me (know its because of multi platform)

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, it wasn't even close. GOAT stays GOATing. Surprised to see Mario as #2, thought for sure the Sony contingent would prop Horizon up to that spot, so it's even more surprising to see it that far down the list.

Best surprise though? XENOBLADE FUCKING CHRONICLES 2 IN THE TOP TEN

JealousMadeupIslandwhistler.gif

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is freaking fantastic. I love it so much. Nearly skipped it, but I'm so glad I tried it. Full thoughts in my Top Five: https://www.resetera.com/posts/3544657

It probably would! But it couldn't run on switch, I mean besides being a sony owned game. Divinity probably could be made to run on it with enough effort though.
I'm intrigued by Divinity. It just looks... very complex. I imagine it's quite manageable in practice, though?

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good job Xenoblade 2

Showed up at the very last second of the year with 0 expectations and made it into the top 10

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Damn, 2017 was a terrific year for games. Really glad to see the industry continue to succeed and put out innovative hardware and memorable software.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
That top 5 is sweet.

Surprised to see Uncharted there over many full blown new games.

Also happy to see RE7.

Remember when PUBG was going to dominate here because it was so popular? Whatever happened to that...

I always knew PUBG wasn't in the race. Some people were so confident it will destroy Horizon everywhere. So baffling.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it's an alright list :P

It just reminds me of the fact that while a site like ERA caters a bit more to the hardcore rather than the casual and core audience, in general people here still have a very mainstream taste.

Nothing wrong with that, especially when the alternative means having a more toxic community.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Horizon getting some recognition nice, otherwise yeah BOTW is for sure my GOTY and it isn't really even close.

Also pleasantly surprised at how high Xenoblade 2 is on the list, really enjoyed that one too.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Why didnt Nier win best RPG if its higher than P5?

Also its unfortunate that I helped get XC2 in the top ten. Shouldve gotten farther before I committed to saying it was any good.

Nioh should replace it, best combat system and build system of 2017 that i played

quincognito

Oct 25, 2017
Always enjoy seeing these results. Thanks to everyone who put the effort into compiling this list and running the setup for the vote this year.

I do have one question: is there a reason remakes and ports are lumped together in one category? Metroid: Samus Returns (a complete reimagining with only a base premise and loose structure in common with its original version) isn't much like Doom or Undertale (straight ports a year or two later to a different platform) so it seems like these would make more sense to separate out.

(I'd also say Nier properly belongs in the RPG list, but the argument is pretty solid either way on that one.)

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beyond happy to see Yakuza 0 on the list. :) It's the best gaming experience I've had in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.