• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if people don't like a game they won't vote for it therefore the voting already reflects the people who don't like a game because they didn't vote for it

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
This is what happens when we don't get Affinity, Recommended, and Hipster listings soon enough (I too would like the data to go thru the Bayesian ringer alongside the regular rankings.)

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I just find the "this list isn't eclectic and rarefied enough" annoying. It is what it is.

Change the voters, don't try and bury their votes, if that is your takeaway.

You still have this community whether you feel good about that or not.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the problem would be solved if people used these lists as recommendations for games they might want to look into, rather than trying to validate their own opinions and getting angry when not as many people liked the same games to the same degree.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
So in my effort to see what others in the voting thread (all 10 of us) have written about David O'Reilley's Everything, I realized it's either very hard to parse out posts about the game Everything and there are over 150 posts that have used the word "everything" as a nondescript filler word while talking about a game they liked, or Everything was really the talk of the town and the voting system just didn't take this into account. You can decide for yourself:

...a fantastic new Mario game but also like an amalgamation of everything that worked in Nintendo's older titles, and the things that the series'...

...fun, too. And the minigames. And the recurring jokes. Just ... everything is fun. I'm glad Sega continues to bring this series West, and 0 has...

...find a bloody town that sold armor or that damn Korok Forest). Everything killed me in one hit, but reloading my saves, trying different...

...to play it in normal speed, I recommend disabling pretty much everything in the UI so that the open world gameplay feels less like a chore....

...Probably the most stylish game that I've ever played, it takes everything from Persona 4 and brings it up a notch. With all the streamlining...

...game grafts in really well with that same exploration, stealing everything, stealth killing bandits mode of play my brain loves so much. The...

...- Mario was a blast to play from start to finish, basically everything in the game impressed me and while I think Zelda is a more impressive...

..but great final entry. The last level is a bit meh but I loved everything else. Prey - I really had to struggle through the first 3 or so hours...

...Persona 5 - Been waiting for this game for years, and it was everything I wanted and more. Resident Evil VII Biohazard - Resident Evil finally...

...doesn't really bother me, but nothing really grabs me either. Everything is just fine mostly. Gravity Rush 2 - Looks great. Combat doesn't...

...Everything felt so perfect, and such art design deserves every bit of effusive praise...

...the spirit of the first game. Even though we knew where everything was heading they told an interesting and moving story. Having no...

...abstracting it down to a simply yes, no, 50 50 chance. It gave everything to game a much more puzzle box feel which I greatly enjoyed. Fire...

...Zelda is miles ahead of everything else at this point.

...Nier Automata but that aside I pretty much managed to play everything I wanted to in time this year. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild...

...I actually started replaying the game despite of completing everything in it, which is unheard of for me when it comes to open world games....

...with smooth Platinum stylings, and a soundtrack that takes everything incredible about the first game's monumental OST and takes it to another...

...emphasis on exploration for treasures. This game really nails everything for me, the entire cast is so lovable despite that my initial problem...

...Everything that you'd expect from a ND game is here but in a smaller package....

...Everything about this game exudes polish, labors of love, and an eye for detail...

...Everything that can be said about Zelda, has been said. Despite the misgivings I and probably...

...like we can't fight to change the world even when we feel like everything is hopeless. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild - There is so...

...NieR: Automata - Everything about this game was perfect for me! The boss battles were batshit...

...- After all this time, the sequel to Mario 64 is here and it's everything it should be. Original as it could be. **[VOTEBOT] Thanks for your...

...alien lifeforms and radical neuro-technologies. Of course, everything goes haywire on your very first day on the job as Morgan Yu. Trust...

...and the soundtrack is sublime in the way it weaves itself into everything happening on the screen is just awesome. It's just a really unique...

...it. Falcom does JRPGs like no other and this game really hit everything I wanted from the series while still bringing some new things to the...

...read is unlike any other. Metroid Samus Returns - Metroid is everything to me. It is the definition of video games to me. The fast action, the...

...Destiny 2 - The improvements to the campaign were great. Everything else they pretty much fucked. I had a lot of good fun during the honeymoon...

...like the Baldur's Gate 2 to Original Sin 1's Baldur's Gate. Everything about it is better than the first game, especially the plot and...

...me joy. This game, while not perfect, managed to deliver everything I wanted: an amazing character, stellar world-building, and awesome enemies...

...different; less horror (which is unfortunate) but just about everything else is far superior in this game. The graphics have been upgraded. The...

...that final climb towards your last Moon. An achievement in everything that gaming should be. A reminder of why outstanding mechanics and game...

...you like who they are. I even love that unless you anally plan everything out (or follow a guide) there are things that you're going to miss....

...Persona 3 and 4 immediately after, which are also great games. Everything in Persona 5 is infused with style, from the menus to the incredibly...

...of the Wild - The first time you pan over the world and realize everything you see you can explore, the magic of BotW becomes apparent. It may...

...grab me or anything I did want to investigate the Talos 1 and everything that it's dark halls had to offer. By far the most fun I've had...

...a "before and after" moment in software development Persona 5 - Everything that Persona 4 was but polished and BIGGER. Sadly, my enjoyment of...

...so but there's a lot on it so I'm not going to say much. Loved everything about it. super mario odyssey - Best Mario game out there. I loved...

...an honorable mention because like it's predecessor it captures everything about the show so absolutely perfectly. But I couldn't put it in the...

...the story, but I really felt like I was Link and was learning everything along with him. I never once felt overwhelmed by the world or the...

...feel like an epic standoff. Boss battles are simply sublime and everything just comes together perfectly. I can say with complete honesty that...

...the Platinum, and I don't regret a second of it. I loved everything about it, from the combat to the incredibly intricate main plot and all the...

...game has to offer. The options available to the player from everything to combat and dialogue can be overwhelming at first but that just speaks...

...few hours of my play-through. I ended up loving pretty much everything about it! The setting was wonderful, the story was well written, and...

...never even knew existed. Don't think of it as being able to do everything, think of it as being able to do anything. The expansion of the...

...characters, music, world, menus, UI, enemies, and literally everything else in the game coalesce into what I can only describe as a work of...

...the formula strayed from what I've enjoyed, but it's still everything I enjoy plus some. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Favorite...

...is odd and cluttered, but towards the middle of the game, everything started to click. blade management, blade combos, chain combos, elemental...

...Super Mario Odyssey - the Mario game I've been waiting on. Does everything I could possibly want out of Mario. Nier Automata - incredible...

...Gravity Rush 2 - When outstanding and bewitching charm outpaces everything else negative about a game. I fell in love with Kat in the first...

...games I played. Whether it be the menus, music, or visuals everything in the presentation just oozes charm. It doesn't hurt of course that the...

...the nonlinear hub sections actually make you want to collect everything you possibly can. I do wish stealth was a little less viable for large...

...possibly the best piece of DLC in the whole series. It captures everything that makes series great: Brutal challenge, exquisite level design...

...I could have Xenoblade 2 here (probably would be my favorite by everything I saw about it), but I just still need to buy it. These last two...

...head haunt me still. Tekken 7 – Not much to say here -- it's everything you love about Tekken with just enough modernization to make it feel...

...You mean that I missed the bolding? Is that the only thing? Everything else looks ok to me. I looked at the OP and looked at the example, I...

...these games before this year but this remake delivered on everything I wanted it to. Even with the hitbox issues and Crash 1's jump arc...

...this game. Uncharted The Lost Legacy - A great homage to everything that made the series great up to this point whilst also introducing new...

...it feels too familiar at times, it has built and improved upon everything that has come before, with some of the best action sequences and...

...the few games I can think of that doesn't really feel bloated. Everything in the game seems like it needs to be there and isn't just there to...

...Also it has a cool, relaxing soundtrack. Unfortunately not everything is peachy. The game doesn't live up to the previous games' story and...

...with the best trailer of 2017 is one of the best games of 2017. Everything about its initial reveal suggested we were in for a treat and indeed...

...entire perspective of the game changed. I was thinking back of everything I had played for all those hours. I was left questioning our human...

...out of their comfort zone to create something so different from everything else in their four year old game. They made mistakes, listened to...

...Adding RPG tropes like leveling up and loot just enhanced everything about the concept of an Assassins Creed game. Overall, it was an...

...completely messes with the entire series, irreparably changing everything that has come before it and anything that could possibly come after....

...involving standing still until you can spam counter and kill everything around you. The side stories have largely been well designed, where I...

...as well. And the variety of kingdoms is truly impressive — everything from a bustling metropolis complete with a song-and-dance number, to a...

...rubber band. It's also about understanding that you can't find everything in a single go, so it's OK to follow your instincts as you blaze a...

...has become quickly become one of my favorite games ever. Almost everything about it was fantastic. I loved the story, OST, and the...

...enormous amount of contents, expansive world. Improved upon everything from the original and Xenoblade X and introduced arguably the best...

...through the games felt like a checklist or formula, where everything is structured so nicely and neatly that while all the pieces fit together...

...Best JRPG in years. Cast was not as good as 4 but virtually everything else was. I will be replaying this for years to come. Horizon Zero Dawn...

...contender in lesser years, and certainly the top 5 trounces everything of last year. I could wax lyrically about some of these games, but 2017...

...fun I had with a single player game in 2017. Loved just about everything - the combat, the story, the characters, the artstyle and of course,...

...A. It was fun for one playthrough, but once route B came along everything felt like a huge chore especially after loving so many combat systems...

...as much a shooter as its an rpg. Cosmic Star Heroine - it was everything I wanted in a 16 bit rpg. the influence of SNES Square games is...

...and never stops: by the end you're underwhelmed by how perfect everything is designed and you've still have stuff to do. There are dozens of...

...It was not afraid to break Mario series conventions as shown by everything from the unconventional world and character designs, to featuring a...

...Might not have time to fill out opinions on everything as much as I wanted to in my list tonight so I'll posts as-is just to make sure it gets...

...of the battle system to have it make sense to me. Once everything clicks, though, the systems are pretty engaging. Best gacha. Civilization...

...Some of the voice acting was a little weak but I loved everything else. Statik - I'm still pretty early in this but I love the puzzles so far....

...Gran Turismo Sport - Racing perfected. I adore everything about this game. From the sleek and stylish menus to the soundtrack and of course the...

...in this game is unprecedented. Every time I think I know everything about BotW, I find out about a new amazing way you can play around with the...

...year. I had intentions of picking up and playing a lot more but everything else just dropped off my radar or got pushed aside for whatever...

...cities in and direction you choose. This sequel expands upon everything in the original to provide a heaping helping of gravity manipulation....

...and Keiichi Okabe duo was a master stroke. Automata's story is everything Yoko Taro is known for: Well written, crazy, relatable and yet...

...and outright fun 2D action gameplay in years. It succeeds at everything it attempts with near flawless execution. There are a scant few moments...

...reason that I haven't played enough of it. Know though that everything I've played as of yet has been absolutely top quality. It carries over...

...was the best game I played this year and it wasn't even close. Everything about it is great. The story, characters, music, gameplay, and...

...to the victory screens, battle HUD, battle animations, and just everything! Its story may have some weak moments later in the game, but the...

...few more months of polish, but as it stands this game excels at everything I look for in an RPG. From a highly rewarding combat system to...

...in the missions gets a bit fiddly, other than that, I loved everything about the game. Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception - In any other year,...

...new light Life is Strange: Before the Storm - A game that had everything going against it, delivered a product that many would argue is...

...series roots. It pays off magnificently. The Baker residence is everything you loved about the mansion and features some of the best boss...

...can get to a video game representation of Dungeons and Dragons, everything great about traditional PC RPG's you can find in this game....

...look for bonfires like I would in Souls games. It shits in everything from Zelda to Witcher and Skyrim. It defines what makes a game great....

...revamp treatment given to the franchise by the Black Flag team. Everything is overhauled. Movement and controls are really the most fluid in...

...Resident Evil VII: biohazard - Only played in VR and it changed everything, For the first time, I really felt uncomfortable playing a game....

...and even entertained when watching someone else play. And when everything goes right, nothing feels better than the final screen, prompting the...

...three hours (!!!) scrolling through it. I somehow remembered EVERYTHING that happened. Every mountain climbing expedition, every death, every...

...the biggest of them being dungeon crawling, which goes against everything I believe Fire Emblem is, since it encourages random battles, which...

...- They basically took a game franchise I loved (Diva), took out EVERYTHING I disliked about it (unlocking songs, double notes, scratch notes,...

...and the freedom to do whatever, whenever you damn well please. Everything from clothing to the Master Sword is optional. Few games let you...

...own twists and new ideas to the genre. Links ability to climb everything and the physics on display across the entire world where real bright...

...it is. Cheesy, corny and wild, but surprisingly thoughtful in everything else. A return to form for Mikami. Gran Turismo Sport - Talk about...

...Aloy, who has become one of my favorites of the last few years. Everything came together fantastically well and it ended up creating a...

...my list would be different if I had the money and time to play everything I want. **[VOTEBOT] Thanks for your vote. Your vote receipt is...

...Sonic Mania - This game was not just a blast from the past. Everything new was great, and everything old felt new. The level design was...

...and traversal. The thing with Hollow Knight is that it does everything at least as well as any other game I have ever played in the genre. To...

...the Wild - Was supposed to have been my GOTY, but Nier ruined everything. Regardless, best open world I've ever played. The way everything just...

...part of it. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I enjoyed everything about BOTW. Just controlling Link and interacting with the world is...

...Mae's problems without absolving her of her faults. Everything about Night in the Woods is so smart, and it all comes down to the quality of...

...from conventional assumptions of doors and floors, pervading everything from the roomless, integrated layout of the Divine Beasts to the...

...I kind of feel like it went on for just a little too long but everything was just pure fun and I overlooked that very easily. Prey – Prey is a...

...stuff of its own is so much fun. Mario Odyssey is amazing at everything it tries to do. It's presentation is top notice with phenomenal music...

...inclusion of a certain character at the midway point but with everything else being awesome, I can forgive the decision. 9.5/10. Assassin's...

...Yakuza 0 - This game does so much, and it excels at everything it does. I love the characters, the story, the music, the gameplay. It made me play...

...into Xenoblade Chronicles 2 with tepid expectations and it blew everything away. Is it perfect? No, it has elements I don't like, but the...

...Persona 5 - Everything in that game just clicked for me I suppose. I can't think of a single time I was bored in that game, only thing that...

...the recent DLC just cemented to me how much I adored this game. Everything just works and is polished to the level you'd expect from Nintendo....

...played. I've not come across a game that manages to do almost everything well, and honestly the biggest complaint I have about the game was...

...TOP 10: Prey - Everything about Talos 1 oozes that great sci-fi atmosphere I've grown to love. The way the game allows you to go at different...

...fed into my excitement of discovering the open world and seeing everything it had to offer. One of the things I appreciated about Horizon: Zero...

...on screen at once, with many of them throwing fire and fire as everything explodes all around you. The variety is fantastic when it comes to...

...is too slow, but that is because it takes a while to introduce everything, because once it lets you go, it's almost overwhelming how much you...

...Mario Odyssey - Behold, the Italian! This was a blast to play. Everything from the better-than-average movement to the fantastic OST made this...

...SteamWorld Dig 2 - Already liked the first, the update improved everything. Star Ghost - Roguelike + Shmup? Very good idea. Doki Doki...

...but effective frame tale of a fallen land and persistent evil, everything just clicked for me. I doubt I'm a Zelda convert. I think this game...

...dinner indeed. Cuphead - This genre of game, regardless of everything else, lives and dies by how well it controls and how well they balance...

...Horizon: Zero Dawn - Wow. This game. The complete package. Everything I want from a single player game. Amazing graphics, very compelling setting...

...with collecting moons. The amount of details, the kingdoms, everything is absolutely fantastic. Horizon: Zero Dawn - A truly stunning game that...

...works really, really well. A testament to how friends can make everything, even frustratingly clipping through the terrain into instant death,...

...threat of Ganon gave me the purpose the game needed and everything felt like preparation for the final confrontation. What really made the...

...game to really sell VR as more than just a fun gimmick for me. Everything feels so natural, and it finally captures a feeling of...

...here. The game has so many gameplay systems and mechanics, but everything feels so well balanced and thought about. Drawing out the map,...

...I don't like it in 2d; I don't like it here either. But everything else about the game is spectacular. The scenarios, the writing, the...

...game provides is simply unparalleled. The game never says no, everything from puzzles to combat to how you reach a destination can be tackled...

...was unique because the way that the game let me approach everything. I spent the first 100 hours without using fast travel once. I really...

...horrifying tone inspired by things like the Evil Dead. It's everything I loved about classic Resident Evil except for the final few hours which...

...said, 2017 was a great year for games and I enjoyed just about everything I played. **[VOTEBOT] Thanks for your vote. Your vote receipt is...

...and streamlining of its game mechanics make it a must play. Everything has been taken up a notch with incredible animated 2D menu elements, the...

...to get to the next ridiculous cutscene. Because holy shit. Everything about the plot and style in that game is pitch perfect. It has maybe the...

...things out on your own...the combat isn't great, but love everything else Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 - best pro evo in years, really like this...

...The characters, the story, the music, the art, the battles, everything is great but what I loved the most is the relations and scenes that you...

...more improved over the mini games from Goodbye Despair. Everything else about the game, however, is excellent. The presentation & Masafumi...

...Ringed City - A wonderful send off to a wonderful series. Has everything I love about the games: great levels and scenery, interesting NPCs and...

...I never felt like I was just fetching items for someone, everything had a story, a reason for being there. The combat was intense and...

...feels fair and it's just a really pleasant ride through out everything. Cuphead - The game actually delivered on multiple fronts, but I'm not...

...of all time. Nidhogg 2 - I absolutely love the artstyle. Everything looks like it's covered in a layer of grime and it just looks so damn...

...present but I was absolutely enthralled by the lore surrounding everything. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - Hellblade left a deep...

...that this was an open world RPG that just flowed very well. Everything from the controls to discovering locations to exploration to combat just...

...Mania - Sonic fans embarrassed Sega by bringing back 2D Sonic. Everything Sonic fans loved about the Genesis games is faithfully recreated....

...stamina and it really opened the game up, being able to climb everything. The first time a Blood Moon happens is fucking cool and creepy. No...

...its just little things like that which make me feel like not everything was as thought through as well as it could have been. Still an...

...give all new games more credit this time. The game itself was everything I could have hoped for. Tales of Berseria - Finally a good Tales and...

...for years and only dropped it for lack of time. This is everything I loved about it, in a format that's easier to play in 2017. Great writing...

...was skeptical about these remakes, but they pretty much nailed everything to the point where they basically replace the originals for me....

...to be a response to Majora's Mask's inaccessibility, and dumbed everything down to an insulting degree. Twilight Princess seemed to be a...

...sheer volume of content, the new abilities, the boss battles -- everything -- Samus Returns deserves a spot right at or damn near the top of...

...things here and there, have changed since going away. You want everything to be the same as it was before, but it isn't. Night in the Woods...

...list of games I wanted to play but missed in 2017, but I loved everything I had seen about it: the art, the music, the polish. I was ready to...

...DLC, but a whole new experience that rivals Shovel Knight. Everything that is great about 2D platforming just continues to shine with Yacht...

...beginning when you first finish it is proof of how unexpected everything is in this game, and it's unexpected all for the better, because the...

...Yes please. I love how you just instantly start playing and everything just... clicks. It's a well designed game that doesn't take itself too...

...until now, because this game.. this game is the absolute best. Everything about this game is exciting and entertaining to me - from running...

...- The reveal of this game was horrible, but in the end it is everything I wanted it to be. The driving is great, graphics are great and...

...game and it somehow managed to meet all expectations. I loved everything from the combat, to the music, to .the art style, and to the story....

...One), but it is still a very visceral experience which, when everything clicks, burns brighter than the competition. Great sound, great...

...Zero Dawn - This game was really something special to me. Everything about it just hit on all the right notes. It's world was vast, beautiful...

...The illusion eventually wears off and you feel like you've seen everything, but all that time before that, it truly feels like anything is...

...their inhabitants was very satisfying as well. In particular, everything involving Tarrey Town was fantastic, and bringing together all of the...

...consistently surprising it was. Every time I thought I had seen everything, a new challenge or an entire new region would refresh my sense of...

...to it after so long feels really special. Odyssey is not only everything I want a modern Mario game to be, but dumps in new things I didn't...

...world, fun combat, interesting story. The game does almost everything right. Wasn't a huge fan of the activities in the open world or else this...

...My GOTY list for 2017 - unfortunately I wasn't able to play everything I had hoped, so this is a list in progress. I still have yet to fully get...

...rewarding exploration long after you thought you'd seen everything the game has to offer. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. Delightfully simple...

...this point, they can't disappoint me. The game is so concise, everything fits from sound and character design to the writing and UI itself. The...

...fundamental essence of a game, a test for the player, you vs. everything the game has to offer you. Cuphead is a game that is all about this...

...after suprise, catchy music, very diverse worlds/kingdoms, everything is rewarding, and it has the best ending of any mario game. Xenoblade...

Last edited:

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Man do you need to copy and paste the whole thing outside of a quote tho.

Also counting the votes is done through a formatting system that should take that into account so I don't see how any of those apply.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Man do you need to copy and paste the whole thing outside of a quote tho.

Also counting the votes is done through a formatting system that should take that into account so I don't see how any of those apply.

Sorry, added quoting. Originally was just copying and pasting from the search query, so didn't think about quoting the block text.

I know that votes are counted through a parser. I was just joking about how frequently the word came up in descriptions and how nondescript its use in a lot of the descriptions were. I really thought some of those snippets could have been talking about Everything until I clicked and read the whole comment.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Well, regardless of the GOTY results in this forum, can we mostly agree that Resetera has better taste in games than the Film Academy board has in animated films?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is easier for you to read. The column with total points is basically the current system on Reset Era, entirely based on popularity. Using that system Pillars of Eternity would be #2 in the GOTY ranking, despite A LOT of people not liking the game. Meanwhile The Witcher 3, which has one of the highest percentages of positive votes but was played by less people, would only be ranked 5th. Seems to me like a robust system which takes into account both popularity and reception. Contrary to the system currently in use.

I with you on that, its a system that makes far more sense moving forward.

Macleoid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
The problem with the hipster choice system is that it discounts that niche games are niche because lots of perfectly well informed gamers thought they looked rubbish. Equally of course the current system favours high profile mainstream games with the marketing budgets to get on people's radar. But on the whole I'd rather goty reflected the positive votes made.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
There are console warrior cliques on this forums. They would downvote certain "enemy" games to hell if given the chance.

Horizon and BotW would have had to weather the salty shitstorms from Nintendo and Sony fanboy warriors respectively.

Last edited:

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The system is fine as is. The thing is, discounting popularity is stupid because popularity is the byproduct of people liking or loving the game. A popular franchise that had a stinker for its latest entry will not be popular to the masses despite the series' reputation, so being on a series with reputation doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things. If the game is great, it will get noticed. Then people will play and enjoy it. Then word of mouth will spread. Then it will get the votes. Simple as that.

If certain group of people wanted their favorites to win, then maybe...encourage more people to vote? Or encourage them to play the game you love in the hopes that they'll love the game too?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
People still trying to change the methodology in hopes it'll reflect their personal favorites

(I just wanted an excuse to post this video again, the narrator's voice always cracks me up)

DUTArhWXUAAi1cM.jpg

Diplo

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Suprised Nier beat Persona and Horizon. Thought Persona was top 3 here for sure.

Good list I suppose, my goty was Yakuza 0 but I guess it couln't do better than what it did

Would have been nice to see Danganropa v3 win something

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That list is weird as hell, haven't even heard of most of the games, but I guess they a Asian games.

Never heard of Nioh, Persona, Xenoblade, Nier, Yakuza.

I really disagree with that list. Shows that my tastes are more in tuned with the casual crowd, where the hell is STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT II?!?!

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I really disagree with that list. Shows that my tastes are more in tuned with the casual crowd, where the hell is STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT II?!?!
It came 74th, between Skyrim and Call of Duty.

73. [nsw] the elder scrolls v skyrim (rpg remake) = 39
74. [pc ps4 xbo] star wars battlefront ii (shooter) = 39
75. [pc ps4 xbo] call of duty wwii (shooter) = 38

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That list is weird as hell, haven't even heard of most of the games, but I guess they a Asian games.

Never heard of Nioh, Persona, Xenoblade, Nier, Yakuza.

I find that rather hard to believe to be honest. We have threads about those games all the time.

I guess if you just straight up avoid Japanese games maybe.
Which you shouldn't because those games are fantastic.

Also Battlefront II has way to much controversy attached to it this year to hope to place highly. Heck I've seen it on a few "worst of" lists because of the loot box fiasco.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Good list. Looks like a list ResetEra would've made. Was not able to get my votes in but I'd say most of the games I liked are on here or represented in some way.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I find that rather hard to believe to be honest. We have threads about those games all the time.

I guess if you just straight up avoid Japanese games maybe.
Which you shouldn't because those games are fantastic.

Also Battlefront II has way to much controversy attached to it this year to hope to place highly. Heck I've seen it on a few "worst of" lists because of the loot box fiasco.

Well yeah, the names are familiar but I know nothing of the games. And yes it is true that I kind of actively avoid games with Asian style visuals or gameplay.
I like story heavy, western games like Heavy Rain, Last Of Us, God Of War, the less gamey they are the better I like them.

And I can't honestly see why the game was so battered by the hardcore audience, they took the microtransactions away? What's the issue.
To me Battlefront II was easily GOTY, hell I would pick only Starfighter Assault as my GOTY and that's one game mode :D So It's kind of crazy to see it at no: 74
When me and 85% friends are absolutely in love with the game. I am out of touch with the true gamers.

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
Surprised to see Mass Effect so low.

The internet negative buzz (part of it warranted but still) really ruined it,too bad as it's a really nice Action RPG (though of course not at the same level as the original trilogy).

Also somehow expected Larian's Original Sin 2 to rank higher but overall this is very skewed towards Japanese games though that might be the best it could get :)

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
Well yeah, the names are familiar but I know nothing of the games. And yes it is true that I kind of actively avoid games with Asian style visuals or gameplay.
I like story heavy, western games like Heavy Rain, Last Of Us, God Of War, the less gamey they are the better I like them.

And I can't honestly see why the game was so battered by the hardcore audience, they took the microtransactions away? What's the issue.
To me Battlefront II was easily GOTY, hell I would pick only Starfighter Assault as my GOTY and that's one game mode :D So It's kind of crazy to see it at no: 74
When me and 85% friends are absolutely in love with the game. I am out of touch with the true gamers.

If you're into story heavy games, you absolutely should be playing those Japanese titles.

Not Star Wars Battlefront II, where the plot is laughable.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, we're actually talking about changing the rules now because some people's favorite games didn't win or chart or whatever. Lol.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Doesn't make sense to change the rules to appease a vocal minority, at least when it comes to matters of this nature and the reasons brought forward.

A list like this is an expression of the community. I would give it more thought if in an average year for Nintendo, somehow, the list still got flooded with Nintendo titles because in that case it would just prove the notion that some fans really only like their Nintendo games. A couple of the games in the list already might pass the notion, but it's not enough to condemn the process.

For anybody who has real problems with the list, just shrug it off man. Your favorite games are still your favorite games.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
If it helps, I'm willing to take donations of 2018 games so my vote this year will be fairer.

Every little helps.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't make sense to change the rules to appease a vocal minority, at least when it comes to matters of this nature and the reasons brought forward.

A list like this is an expression of the community. I would give it more thought if in an average year for Nintendo, somehow, the list still got flooded with Nintendo titles because in that case it would just prove the notion that some fans really only like their Nintendo games. A couple of the games in the list already might pass the notion, but it's not enough to condemn the process.

For anybody who has real problems with the list, just shrug it off man. Your favorite games are still your favorite games.
Yeah unless there are some big surprises I don't see any Nintendo titles getting as much attention and votes as they did this year. GOTY for 2018 is going to be a western AAA game

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah unless there are some big surprises I don't see any Nintendo titles getting as much attention and votes as they did this year. GOTY for 2018 is going to be a western AAA game
Nintendo games will get attention if they deserve attention; they won't get attention if they don't. That's all there is to it.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at, they got so much attention this year because they deserved it. I don't see that happening again in 2018 based on what we know of the lineup right now unless there are big surprises coming.

Like I have no doubt Kirby and Yoshi will be good but I don't see them taking the forum by storm the way Zelda and Mario (and to a lesser extent Xenoblade and Splatoon) did.

Nov 1, 2017
This list is amazing. Way, way better than GIantbomb's list...

They were missing so many games... save yourself 7 podcast hours of disappointment.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never trust Giant Bomb's opinions on anything after what they said about Tropical Freeze's soundtrack anyway

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at, they got so much attention this year because they deserved it. I don't see that happening again in 2018 based on what we know of the lineup right now unless there are big surprises coming.

Like I have no doubt Kirby and Yoshi will be good but I don't see them taking the forum by storm the way Zelda and Mario (and to a lesser extent Xenoblade and Splatoon) did.
Not really a Nintendo game, but a Switch exclusive, I could see project Octopath Traveller getting lots of mentions based off of the demo impressions. Fire Emblem too.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wish I could understand Xenoblade 2. The game simply seems to be filled with everything wrong with jrpgs and the complete opposite of what was attractive about XB1. But yes it's time to shrug that it was in the top 10. It did'nt top Persona, Horizon, or Nier and well thats a victory there.

Status
Not open for further replies.