• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish I could understand Xenoblade 2. The game simply seems to be filled with everything wrong with jrpgs and the complete opposite of what was attractive about XB1. But yes it's time to shrug that it was in the top 10. It did'nt top Persona, Horizon, or Nier and well thats a victory there.
Have you played the game?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have you played the game?

I would recommend not engaging with him on XB2, for some reason he/she has a crusade against it.

Literally spewing his/her hate for the game across multiple threads, ranging from "worst game that you played and actually finished" to the performance of the game in December 2017 thread, to even this thread and was suspended for a day based on his/her history.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo games will get attention if they deserve attention; they won't get attention if they don't. That's all there is to it.
Don't think this is the case.

There are good games that get ignored. It happens. Perhaps there are real examples of this that people are upset about in this thread, for example.

I do think Nintendo has the benefit of looking to fit squarely with ResetEra's biases towards console games and towards genres that were popular on NES through PS2 (also: GB through 3DS and now Switch) and is likely to get noticed by ResetEra.

I don't think being angry at the list doesn't makes sense because "cream necessarily rises to the top" and the list is "correct."

I think it doesn't make sense because I think it squarely matches ResetEra's taste and this idea that we should massage our data to make a list come out that seems more "enlightened" and "elite" with all of the "correct" picks comes across to me as foolish.

That is because we are what we are and if you want to see different lists come out of us, you need to change us not the method of getting a list.

(Beyond that, I also don't think we've got a list chock-full of overrated games or something. I'm guessing you'd be replacing with different more so than better. I don't think we have a "bad taste problem," so much as an idiosyncratic taste that comes across as a problem to some.)

And I can get being disheartened by finding yourself at distance from your peers. I often feel that way. But the answer is just to, well, try and find a home and try and evangelize a bit here and there rather than get angry at others so much.

Disheartened posts would be so much more productive if they were about heightening awareness of the games that didn't do as well as the poster wanted rather than trying to tear down what did do well.

Last edited:

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He has, he hates it and thus can't comprehend why it's on the list
I don't care for most Nintendo games and have no interests in Zelda and Mario. But I can understand why people like those games. Thier placement makes complete sense and no one can argue otherwise.

Though I'm not being super honest. I somewhat liked the 5 hours or so I played of Breath on the WiiU but this is the most I've played of Zelda in my life.

XB2 is just confusing. I'm sorry. It's like someone took XB1 and set out to make the complete opposite of it.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
There are valid complaints to be made against Xenoblade but the battle system, OST, and world design are all beyond reproach IMO.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care for most Nintendo games and have no interests in Zelda and Mario. But I can understand why people like those games. Thier placement makes complete sense and no one can argue otherwise. Though I'm not being super honest. I somewhat liked the 5 hours or so I played of Breath on the WiiU but this is the most I've played of Zelda in my life.

XB2 is just confusing. I'm sorry. It's like someone took XB1 and set out to make the complete opposite of it.
Well thank you for being reasonable about it

Well maybe that's why some folk liked it. I haven't played it myself but I don't exactly see how the game could zero redeeming qualities for others. I dislike a ton of games but I can at least understand why others enjoy them

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One year later, is Mass Effect Andromeda worth playing?

I am a massive, massive Mass Effect 2 fan. Probably one of the best gaming experiences I've had. Mass Effect 3 was a step down, but I still enjoyed the campaign.

The gameplay of these two games was very good, and I personally love the ME lore. I don't think there is any other 'sci fi epic' in the industry with the exception of Halo.

Or is it such a bad game that it's not worth playing?

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't care for most Nintendo games and have no interests in Zelda and Mario. But I can understand why people like those games. Thier placement makes complete sense and no one can argue otherwise.

Though I'm not being super honest. I somewhat liked the 5 hours or so I played of Breath on the WiiU but this is the most I've played of Zelda in my life.

To you, yes. Most of us don't seem to have had a problem with it.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I totally get Xenoblade Chronicles 2 complaints

I actually have a boatload of issues with that game

but it really pulled me in. the characters, story, and battle system got their hooks into me in a way I was not expecting.

but there are so many little issues and just weird choices that if the characters, story, and battle system aren't doing it for you the problems are going to basically guarantee that you will bail from the game. just weird menu stuff, the merc mission thing is weird and kind of pointless unless navigating a menu and waiting is fun, gating progress behind leveling up field abilities is fucking bullshit, some parts of the game where the pacing is kind of weird, some weird parts of the game where you go from one cutscene to another with no gameplay in between other than walking (happened a lot in the praetorium area), the map, etc.

thinking logically about it the game shouldn't be as good as it is

but it is

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually very pleased with the list and I think if I finished a few more games in 2017, it would very much echo my own.

The ONLY thing that upsets me is Sonic Mania being so far down the list.

Sonic Mania takes arguably the second most iconic video game character in our hobby, whom has starred in countless games across approximately three decades, with a giant (if also weird) fanbase, and delivers one of the finest 2D platformers of a generation. Shovel Knight and DK/DKTF on Wii/WiiU are the only recent titles that, IMO, come close. But what those games lack is the lathering of cool-factor Sonic Mania has. The game is just absolutely LOADED with style. From the beautiful art, the phenomenal sound track, to gorgeous animations and backgrounds. Let me put it this way: I don't really care for Sonic... never really have. Before this, the first Sonic Adventure would have been my favorite Sonic, because the 2D titles just never, IMO, found that balance between style and substance, fast and fair. But Sonic Mania does. It's not just the best Sonic game, ever... I believe it's one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played.

Last edited:

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
I didn't vote, but that is a pretty good list. Nice to see Tekken 7 getting recognition on a category basis. I wish they did a better job with the console versions, but that game is silk laced with vodka on PC. Prey lost me with the combat and skill tree being terribad, and PUBG never really had me on account of performance problems and bots killing FPP. Bought it in August, dropped it in November and never went back. The whole thing feels like a missed opportunity when crates were a higher priority than fixing network disconnections or frame rate crashes.

I'm finishing Yakuza 0 now and will squeeze in Kiwami before Y6 comes out. That franchise is the gift that keeps on giving. Hopefully Nintendo can keep the ball rolling on the quality level they've achieved so far with Switch software releases.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017

I'm not saying you to stop complaining, but I suggest you to stop complaining. I thought you where banned before because of ranting regarding Xenoblade 2. We already get it, you hate the game.

but it is

Yes, the game has so many flaws, and the game also has somewhat manage to outdo those flaws and make it one of the best games I played in my life. I can compare it to The Wonderful 101 in terms of reception between detractors and fans.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm happy with the list, especially the top two. Nintendo had a hell of a year and I hope they can keep the momentum going.

The only regret I have for my personal list is that I hadn't yet completed Cuphead when I wrote it. It was only very recently that it really pulled me in and I just finished the game last night. It's definitely one of my favorites of last year and would have been on my list.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017

I am a massive, massive Mass Effect 2 fan. Probably one of the best gaming experiences I've had. Mass Effect 3 was a step down, but I still enjoyed the campaign.

The gameplay of these two games was very good, and I personally love the ME lore. I don't think there is any other 'sci fi epic' in the industry with the exception of Halo.

Get it cheap and go in with low expectations.

It isn't complete garbage, but nothing in it is particularly good either.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are valid complaints to be made against Xenoblade but the battle system, OST, and world design are all beyond reproach IMO.
I would say that's the furthest from the truth. My complaints are nitpicks, but nitpicks add up.

The battle system feels slow, your movement feels deliberately slow and that comes in to conflict with placement and it's healing mechanic. Also the AI is dumb and since the combat system is built on basically your team being corroborative and using different elements to build combos, the ai being dumb with it's switching is a problem. Also in the end I felt like things like elemental weakness, the seals, and whatnot were fluff and easily ignored. A complex system that honestly felt pointless towards the end. Except for the final boss. The battle system was fun, but honestly it all blurred together in the end. Add in a shitty gatcha system and class system that pretends to be flexabile, but really isn't mostly thanks to the ai and you have something I think is pretty much a failure. Character progression and management is pretty important to me in games and Xenoblade 2 makes it tedious and unfun.

I also did'nt feel the ost either. It seemed rather generic and been there done that for Mitsuda, but then again I'm not really a fan of him anyway.

The world design was in a word boring,bland, and felt pretty downgraded from XBX. I did'nt find the whole on Titans thing exciting. It mostly felt unearned, with cities and set pieces not say taking place on a characters eye or having the world actually feel like it was in motion. Nothing interesting and in the end the were generic lava place, snow place, green place whatever. No wow moments like in XB1 where you realize the bridge is a sword or your climbing a mech god's finger. If you told me they just took place on islands in the sky I would believe you.

The world did'nt even feel as expansive as XBX. Many places felt like corridors, tubes, small patches of zones. Not these huge scaled areas like in the previous games.

And then because of XB's scale the world felt small in XB2. There's this huge fleet that goes into battle at some point in the game and I guess they represent one small city in a small nation? The other games did not have this problem of world realization. XB1 is a small human population. XBX is one city of survivors. XB2 is supposed to be an actual big world with nations of I guess 20 people?

It's very much a sequel to XB1 with how it feels but with a better combat system
It doesn't feature anything I found fresh about the 1st one.

The first game was a refuge from the anime otaku bait that basically took over jrpgs of that gen. This game has Prya and Mythra who would be right at home in an Image Factory game.

The first game featured character designs that reminded of me of a time when Japanese things weren't all super pastel anime waifu stuff. XB2 is that in it's character designs.

XB1 had a simple and approachable battle system that placed importance on your parties roles. XB2 mucks this all up with over complexity.

XB1 had Shulk, a nerdy protag with an interesting identity crisis. Someone who wasn't the typical bland hero that is in all Japanese things it seems. He was curious, inventive, meek, and a nerd. XB2 has Rex who is as bland as can be straight down to the typical anime black/blue hair.

XB1 had a party that felt like a family and had motivations to be together. XB2's party has several characters who if I took out of the game it would'nt matter.

XB1's love intrest was nothing special. The girl next door, but she did'nt feel like cheap waifu bait. XB2 has Pyra and Mythra and an ending that basically shits on whatever point the game had to say about them.

XB1's world felt expansive and unlike anything I've seen in a jrpg. XB2 is generic as they come right down to evil church.

XB1's quests did not feel like busy work. XB2's sure feel tedious.

XB2 is'nt anything what I like about the Xenoblade games. I liked the Xenoblade games because they didn't feel like typical JRPGS. Xenoblade 2 is the definition of generic.
I'm not saying you to stop complaining, but I suggest you to stop complaining. I thought you where banned before because of ranting regarding Xenoblade 2. We already get it, you hate the game.
I got a ban for system war stuff, not for criticizing Xenoblade.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't vote but I would've given #1 to Horizon. Besides it needed the point more since Zelda mopped the floor.

Did we get a results thread for the 2017 Fail of the Year Awards yet???

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The world did'nt even feel as expansive as XBX. Many places felt like corridors, tubes, small patches of zones. Not these huge scaled areas like in the previous games.

this is one of my gripes with the game that actually affected my experience. for some reason all my other nitpicks with the game didn't really bother me but this one did. going from Gormott and Uraya to everything after felt like the world design peaked at the beginning of the game. those two areas felt like the only organic feeling areas in the game. some places make sense that they're not like that like Indol but other places like Fonsett feel like a missed opportunity where instead of little circular areas connected by long pathways it could have been more sprawling and organic feeling or something.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wish I could understand Xenoblade 2. The game simply seems to be filled with everything wrong with jrpgs and the complete opposite of what was attractive about XB1. But yes it's time to shrug that it was in the top 10. It did'nt top Persona, Horizon, or Nier and well thats a victory there.

You're still that salt that Xenoblade is in the top 10? lmao

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. To me Xenoblade 2 is the most disappointing game of this gen. The biggest disappointment since Metal Gear Solid 4.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XB1's quests aren't busy work? What?

I haven't played 2, but 1's definitely are
I don't remember XB1's quests being long drawn out affairs of having to constantly talk to NPCs. Most of XB1's side content was MMO kill quests that were done as the game went on and were completed the moment you did the thing. There were a few more drawn out ones, but nothing like XB2's. They also weren't dependent on field skills which are dependent on you having a specific Blade(which are random), leveling that field skill(which is done beyond simply using and battling with that Blade). I avoided most of XB2's side content because it invoked everything XB1 avoided. Also the exp wasn't tied to a pointless and artificial inn mechanic.

XB1 was praised for how un-tedious it was for a modern JRPG. XB2 is one of the most tedious for no reason jrpg I've played in years. A lot of the game begs the question, why?

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still amazed that a game that was released in December and came in 9th place managed to dominate discussion-wise in this thread. Soon, I will experience what's all the fuss is about.

I'm actually very pleased with the list and I think if I finished a few more games in 2017, it would very much echo my own.

Sonic Mania takes arguably the second most iconic video game character in our hobby, whom has starred in countless games across approximately three decades, with a giant (if also weird) fanbase, and delivers one of the finest 2D platformers of a generation. Shovel Knight and DK/DKTF on Wii/WiiU are the only recent titles that, IMO, come close. But what those games lack is the lathering of cool-factor Sonic Mania has. The game is just absolutely LOADED with style. From the beautiful art, the phenomenal sound track, to gorgeous animations and backgrounds. Let me put it this way: I don't really care for Sonic... never really have. Before this, the first Sonic Adventure would have been my favorite Sonic, because the 2D titles just never, IMO, found that balance between style and substance, fast and fair. But Sonic Mania does. It's not just the best Sonic game, ever... I believe it's one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played.

Sonic Mania was actually one of my first games I wanted to buy when I was gifted a Switch since I am a huge fan of the Classic Sonic games on Genesis. However, I was holding out on a physical release as it seems like a game I would rather have a physical copy than a digital one. I'm still hoping for an announcement about this in a future direct.

I feel like Sega dropped the ball making one of their premiere titles, digital-only. They even announced a Special Edition of a cardless/diskless game! Hopefully, with an inevitable sequel they will give us an option.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Preach

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would say that's the furthest from the truth. My complaints are nitpicks, but nitpicks add up.

The battle system feels slow, your movement feels deliberately slow and that comes in to conflict with placement and it's healing mechanic. Also the AI is dumb and since the combat system is built on basically your team being corroborative and using different elements to build combos, the ai being dumb with it's switching is a problem. Also in the end I felt like things like elemental weakness, the seals, and whatnot were fluff and easily ignored. A complex system that honestly felt pointless towards the end. Except for the final boss. The battle system was fun, but honestly it all blurred together in the end. Add in a shitty gatcha system and class system that pretends to be flexabile, but really isn't mostly thanks to the ai and you have something I think is pretty much a failure. Character progression and management is pretty important to me in games and Xenoblade 2 makes it tedious and unfun.

I also did'nt feel the ost either. It seemed rather generic and been there done that for Mitsuda, but then again I'm not really a fan of him anyway.

The world design was in a word boring,bland, and felt pretty downgraded from XBX. I did'nt find the whole on Titans thing exciting. It mostly felt unearned, with cities and set pieces not say taking place on a characters eye or having the world actually feel like it was in motion. Nothing interesting and in the end the were generic lava place, snow place, green place whatever. No wow moments like in XB1 where you realize the bridge is a sword or your climbing a mech god's finger. If you told me they just took place on islands in the sky I would believe you.

And then because of XB's scale the world felt small in XB2. There's this huge fleet that goes into battle at some point in the game and I guess they represent one small city in a small nation? The other games did not have this problem of world realization. XB1 is a small human population. XBX is one city of survivors. XB2 is supposed to be an actual big world with nations of I guess 20 people?

The first game was a refuge from the anime otaku bait that basically took over jrpgs of that gen. This game has Prya and Mythra who would be right at home in an Image Factory game.

The first game featured character designs that reminded of me of a time when Japanese things weren't all super pastel anime waifu stuff. XB2 is that in it's character designs.

XB1 had a simple and approachable battle system that placed importance on your parties roles. XB2 mucks this all up with over complexity.

XB1 had Shulk, a nerdy protag with an interesting identity crisis. Someone who wasn't the typical bland hero that is in all Japanese things it seems. He was curious, inventive, meek, and a nerd. XB2 has Rex who is as bland as can be straight down to the typical anime black/blue hair.

XB1 had a party that felt like a family and had motivations to be together. XB2's party has several characters who if I took out of the game it would'nt matter.

XB1's love intrest was nothing special. The girl next door, but she did'nt feel like cheap waifu bait. XB2 has Pyra and Mythra and an ending that basically shits on whatever point the game had to say about them.

XB1's world felt expansive and unlike anything I've seen in a jrpg. XB2 is generic as they come right down to evil church.

XB2 is'nt anything what I like about the Xenoblade games. I liked the Xenoblade games because they didn't feel like typical JRPGS. Xenoblade 2 is the definition of generic.
I am having really hard time believing that you really played the game... I already have more than 200 hours played and didn't have any of those "problems"... Did you really understood how all the combat mechanics works in the game?.. I love XC1 and XCX, XC1 more than X, but XC2 is a better game than XC1 in all the aspects (Maybe on par with XC1 story). I meant you cant dislake some aspects of the game, but saying that XC2 is a bad JRPG is just suspicious to me.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017

I went in with low expectations and bought it for $15 and its an alright game. Its better than the massive backlash it got but I can see why people dont like the game. Its definitely the weakest game in the series.
Combat is the best part of the game but its open world and main story are weak. Its companions are fun but not as memorable as the original trilogy, they're all better than Jacob though. There are some nice lore teases too but seeing that it wont have a sequel means they'll probably just remain teases.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am having really hard time believing that you really played the game... I already have more than 200 hours played and didn't have any of those "problems"... Did you really understood how all the combat mechanics works in the game?.. I love XC1 and XCX, XC1 more than X, but XC2 is a better game than XC1 in all the aspects (Maybe on par with XC1 story). I meant you cant dislake some aspects of the game, but saying that XC2 is a bad JRPG is just suspicious to me.
Have you character in XB2 run around and then quickly target an enemy. Your character's movement becomes far slower for no real reason. Then the game prioritizes animation over pretty much everything. If a character is knocked down or even more annoyingly you have say Morag do an art, she has to spend 5 secs or so to do her fancy pose animation. While she's doing her stupid posing of course the window for a topple or launch has already been missed. Sure you can add equipment to lengthen that window, but in XBX the game did not slow down. Your characters movement was the same regardless of in battle or not, unlike XB1 where it feels like you are moving in water the moment you switch to battle mode. XBX also didn't waste your time with drawn out animation, instead it would quickly switch to an attack the moment you pressed the button because quickly responding to battle yells was what the game was about. Also compared to XBX the arts are based on cooldowns, unlike XB2 where because of that movement(which is already slower than 1 or XBX) feels like something you'd rather not do.

And yes the AI is idiotic and gets in the way of the supposed class flexibility. Do not give Nia a non healing Blade or Morag a non tank blade regardless of if thats the luck of draw that you've gotten for them. Because if say you start a fire attack and the follow up art is lightning or something and either of those party members happen to have a lightning blade that isn't what you really want their class to be, they will switch to that blade. Meaning Nia will stop healing or the tanking will stop from Morag because they focus on continuing the combo route and not actually playing a role. So there's really no reason to attach to those characters Blades that don't correspond to their role, so there's really no interest in playing around with the classes, because the Blade's dictate how the character's behave in battle and you don't want a situation where Nia won't heal because you waiting for the chance to continue the art combo.And yet Blades are random draws. Blade's don't act like materia where having them tied to a character they give them a pool of abilities, instead they act like strange paradigm shift jobs from FFXIII. One's that you don't have complete control of. That's stupid. I would'nt mind adding a tank rare blade to Nia and since the game forced me to have it on her I'm stuck with it. It would be nice because hey it looks like it adds some befits to her stats, but you really shouldn't because if she switches to it she can't heal.

But then you also have to work with the AI to do certain seals and combo routes. Sometimes the ai refuses to switch to the blade that leads down the combo route you want, instead deciding on a whim to say continue it down this other path. Nia has her water blade out because that will continue the combo, but you want her to switch to her lightning one so you can get that route. Well maybe she will, maybe she wont. Hopefully she does while the window is open.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you're talking about with animation priorities. You can arts cancel out of pretty much everything.
Canceling an art with another art is super fast and very satisfying. Near the end you won't need to move much since you'll likely be focusing on toppling and doing side slashes by canceling at the right moment which will speed up recovery for both of those.
If you don't want your drivers to use certain blades, don't equip them. If they have two they'll usually be doing what you want. Like, duh, don't give your healer a non healing blade, lol.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you're talking about with animation priorities. You can arts cancel out of pretty much everything.
Canceling an art with another art is super fast and very satisfying. Near the end you won't need to move much since you'll likely be focusing on toppling and doing side slashes by canceling at the right moment which will speed up recovery for both of those.
Canceling arts is for speeding up art charging. It has nothing do to with how the game has long drawn out animations for pretty much everything. Getting knocked down, doing a special attack which requires the character to do some posing for whatever reason and so on. You don't need to move much at all because the game doesn't encourage it anyway. Your move too slow and the extra damage hardly seems impactful anyway. Making that facet to the battle system pointless anyway. Which in XBX it wasn't.

If you don't want your drivers to use certain blades, don't equip them. If they have two they'll usually be doing what you want. Like, duh, don't give your healer a non healing blade, lol.
Certain Blades could provide interesting stat boosts to characters regardless if they aren't the class you want the character to be. The game even changes the names of the classess as if it encourages Blade mixing and matching for interesting combinations. Yet in the end this gets in the way of how the ai behaves making the whole idea pointless. I wouldn't mind giving the attack Blade to Nia that the game forced on her. It gave her an interesting stat change, but it would be dumb because I can't really stop her from switching to it if the combo art asks for that corresponding element. That's dumb and so because of that job customization becomes boring. Just give everyone their default job and be done with it. Unless of course you are controlling that character. Simply having the ability to switch the blades on your whim for everyone would fix that.

In FFX or FFXIII I start giving everyone odd classes that don't correspond to their original class. Therefore making cool combinations and feeling like I actually controlled their class progression. Of course thats a game where I control every character. Just because I put Yuna on Auron's path doesn't mean I'm actually going to have her not do white magic. In XB2 I have no real encouragement to play around with this because the AI is not going to work with me. Nia is going to switch to an attacking blade if the game calls for it. So job tinkering in XB2 is super boring. It's pretty much just stack one type of blade unto character and don't think much of it.

Made even worse in XB2 because the things that determine class are random. I could easily get solid blades for Nia that have nothing to do with her main class. Making them pretty useless.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
The best boosts relative to strong roles are from stacking the same class of blade.

I can see having a healer blade on a DPS oriented person for the aggro lessening (even further because you don't have the third damage blade), but generally I found it most useful to have pure tanks and pure healers and don't really see the game telling me otherwise.

And class isn't random.

It is your combination of DPS/Healer/Tank blades. There is a pure DPS class. A pure Tank class. A pure Healer class. And then a mix DPS/Healer, Tank/Healer, Tank/DPS, and a DPS/Tank/Healer class.

The exact classes are determined by how many of each type of blade you have equipped.

(I did play Morag pure Tank, Zeke pure DPS, and Rex with 2 DPS and a certain spoiler blade, but only when I controlled Rex and could switch to healing and stay there as needed.)

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really surprised that we are discussing Xenoblade 2. I am expecting BotW vs Horizon + some Nier and Persona fans fighting each other lol.

Truly a gamechanger.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect to see it in the Top 10. It came out so late in the year and is meaty. I was legitimately surprised enough people played it let alone voted for it, tbh. I know I got it on my ballot just a couple days before the deadline (admittedly I didn't start it until Christmas or play it in earnest until January).

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California

Rahxephon won't you just admit you like Xenoblade 2. It's ok, we all like it as well.

Lazrgatr

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I'm sure Era as a whole just has a tsundere relationship with XC2. While everywhere else the talk about it faded pretty quickly and a lot of mainstream youtubers completely ignored it even while shouting loudly about how great Nintendo did during 2017 there was basically 2-3 threads bashing the designs every week here.

And yet it still placed in the top 10,

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect Xenoblade to be the most controversial title. I'm on chapter 4 and it's actually better then I expected. Liking it more then 1 and X, mostly becuase of the combat system. The previous two were okay at best, but had other areas that shined better then 2.

I told you guys not to engage him on the matter.
Reminds of someone that had a deep hatred of Mario 3D World a while back. Might just be the game was too disappointing to let go or something.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017

but it is

Agree with this. I said something like it in my vote, even. XB2 definitely has some serious problems (#1 for me being the bizarre gacha blade crystals that get more and more painful to use as the game wears on), but I still really liked it.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

- The Open World is garbage. But the linear/focused missions are great, including the loyalty missions, the prologue, and the final missions. Seriously if only the entire game follow these more linear experience, it would be much better received.

- The story is forgettable and is the prime example of missed potential.

- The gameplay is amazing, there are tons of customization from abilities to modifying your equipments. Unfortunately, enemies variety is kinda lacking.

- The squad member is surprisingly great ! Loves their interaction to each other when you are exploring your ship.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I'm disappointed by Hollow Knight getting left out of the top 20. Legit one of the greatest platformers I've ever played, and I've played a lot. Hopefully the visibility problem will be corrected this year when it releases on more platforms.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the other hand, I'm actually happy to see make it. I actually left it off my own top ten (it was there on my list, but in the honorable mentions/no points section) because I hadn't played enough of it to make an informed decision... but looking back at it now (after having played around 60 hours of it) I probably underrated XC2 too much. Game is phenomenal, and the OST is right there with NieR Automata as the best soundtrack of 2017.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That list is weird as hell, haven't even heard of most of the games, but I guess they a Asian games.

Never heard of Nioh, Persona, Xenoblade, Nier, Yakuza.

I really disagree with that list. Shows that my tastes are more in tuned with the casual crowd, where the hell is STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT II?!?!

227.jpg

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best boosts relative to strong roles are from stacking the same class of blade.
Yes that's kind of the problem. Character progression is super boring and not at all interesting. And at every angle the game counters attempts that could make it interesting. Made worse by the dumb random Blade system.

Ok Nia doesn't have super awesome healing blades. They are all on Morag, thanks Random blade system! So instead of wasting these other Blades I'll see what character things I can come up. Maybe there will be some interesting tinkering. Nope. Oh you got some cool stat boosts by using a different blade and it even created a new class. Well the ai is dumb so hope it doesn't switch to that blade and not heal and since you can't control the switching really your at the ai's mercy. Oh and whatever dude just use the healing blades.

It's boring and thoughtless. In the end it's just you waiting to swamp out healing blades for other healing blades while the ones you kind of are not encouraged to use, to experiment sit there doing noting but Merc missions. Exciting. It's a very boring character progression system.

I can see having a healer blade on a DPS oriented person for the aggro lessening (even further because you don't have the third damage blade), but generally I found it most useful to have pure tanks and pure healers and don't really see the game telling me otherwise.
You're right it doesn't tell you otherwise. It tells you to be boring and not really experiment with characters and classes.
And class isn't random.
The blades that impact your classes are random. To the detriment of the game.

It is your combination of DPS/Healer/Tank blades. There is a pure DPS class. A pure Tank class. A pure Healer class. And then a mix DPS/Healer, Tank/Healer, Tank/DPS, and a DPS/Tank/Healer class.
And that's the problem, the game makes no advances here. For all it's extra crap that it throws on it, it's basically just XB1 again, but more complicated for reasons. A step back from XBX, where there were so many class and party combinations that you could tinker with your party for ages and I did.

The exact classes are determined by how many of each type of blade you have equipped.
Yes and in the end you can do nothing really exciting with it.

Rahxephon won't you just admit you like Xenoblade 2. It's ok, we all like it as well.
No, I quite hate XB2 and think it's a failure. It's success really confuses me. I bought the Switch and the CE. I was looking forward to it despite the ugly character designs, after all it's not like the 3d models in XBX were appealing. I thought I could look past it. What I got was a fun battle system that made strides to be more involved, but in the end not as good as XBX and filled with little annoyances. I got a world I found rather unexciting and a story and characters that were troupy and bad.

I told you guys not to engage him on the matter.
And here I thought I was being civil.

Status
Not open for further replies.