• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, if the game is less played that means that it fails to pull public beyond its niche and that for me means it doesn't deserve to be rewarded as high as games that are are able to pull more public.
Like for example your list totally dismiss Splatoon 2.
This doesn't make any sense. A games merits isn't owed to its marketing campaigns strength.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Era is practically my best friend by matched picks lol. My ballot is so mainstream it is weird (to me).

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I preferred NeoGaf's 2017 GOTY winners. Liked the top twenty better, the genre awards and the console awards. It was near perfect despite me not having any interest in the majority of the games themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully MS can have better representation this year. GotY discussions tend to lean toward Sony and Nintendo games year after year. It would be nice if MS could join the conversation too.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully MS can have better representation this year. GotY discussions tend to lean toward Sony and Nintendo games year after year. It would be nice if MS could join the conversation too.

Forza Horizon 4 will be the only Microsoft published game that will be considered for game of the year awards and should win racing/driving game of 2018. In fairness though, I do believe that Cuphead should have won the Xbox One 2017 game of the year, not Resident Evil VII.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Very late response, but I just wanna emphasize how right this is. I don't think any actual publications awarded this game the title it deserved.

I played this for an hour or so and got a refund because I just couldn't get into the gameplay.

The art was beautiful and the characters were fairly interesting but the gameplay got really repetitive for me. Did it ever change up much? I keep seeing high praise and wondering if it's worth trying again.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or, according to ERA voters, simply not as good.

Though he has a point regarding franchise fatigue. Anecdotal, but I never even considered buying the game. It's likely my loss, but AC 3 burned me so badly, I have next to no interest in coming back to the series. A couple posters on ERA almost got me to reconsider at one point, but that faded quickly.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I played this for an hour or so and got a refund because I just couldn't get into the gameplay.

The art was beautiful and the characters were fairly interesting but the gameplay got really repetitive for me. Did it ever change up much? I keep seeing high praise and wondering if it's worth trying again.
(Assuming you're talking about the rites) Yes and no. As you progress through the game you triple your starting party, with only the first character to join you not having a unique basic moveset. There are (tiny) upgrade trees and one ultimate skill for each character. Also customizable challenges per rite. But it's still the same game.

There aren't many rites in the game and you can beat the game even if you lose them all.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even look at assassin's creed. Every single one is accompanied by such an overwhelming marketing push that I just tune them out. Maybe the new one is actually really good but I'll never know.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Though he has a point regarding franchise fatigue. Anecdotal, but I never even considered buying the game. It's likely my loss, but AC 3 burned me so badly, I have next to no interest in coming back to the series. A couple posters on ERA almost got me to reconsider at one point, but that faded quickly.
Same. I've been done since 3 as well, and I just tuned out all of the praise that Black Flag and Origins got. I'm just uber-selective about how many big open-world games I'm willing to invest in, and in a year with two real standout ones and with how underwhelmed I've been by a number of Ubisoft's open-world games, it was never going to get a look from me. Especially not with so many other good games that came out last year.

I didn't even look at assassin's creed. Every single one is accompanied by such an overwhelming marketing push that I just tune them out. Maybe the new one is actually really good but I'll never know.
Yeah, there's this part of it too. It's good that they took a year off, but I feel like Assassin's Creed as a series would have to disappear completely for, like, 5 years in order to get me to come back. For as much fatigue I still have from playing those games, there's almost as much franchise fatigue from just hearing about the next Assassin's Creed game coming every year. Just reading the posts in this thread here makes me feel tired. There's just too much of it, it really is overwhelming.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
Hi, I noticed this got unpinned, do we have any idea when census data? I've been checking daily but it'll be harder now that this is not pinned. Thanks!

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017

My question wasn't "how do I continue to check" but more like "Shouldn't the Census data be coming shortly now that it's unpinned?

Do we have any word on it? I know it's probably difficult but I always enjoyed the census data. If it's not coming, that's fine but it'd be nice to know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.