• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
The "Sony bias" continues to be laughable. Forza was in the top 20 and it's generally a very niche genre these days (I voted for it!). I also put 20 hours into red dead and it wasn't in my top 10. The world was impressive, but I grew to absolutely despise playing that game. The best games this year for me were a Microsoft exclusive, Nintendo exclusives, Sony exclusives, and third party games. And 8 of my top 10 made it into the site's top 20. I must have a Sony bias though.

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
How can I tell who are the 4 amazing persons besides me who voted for EDF5?
You are good people and together we are the valiant infantry we are the alpha team with passion and camaraderie

Apr 9, 2018
Win all around for Sony and Era agrees. One of their best years ever.

2019 could eclipse it if Death Stranding, GoT, Days Gone and TLOU2 all release or 3 of them.

Oct 31, 2017
Welp, looks like 2018 was a flop compared to 2017.

unknown.png

Probably hundreds of those who voted were banned for something lol.

Stating the truth as to this sites bias is now "being salty" according to this guy smh

I own both a PS4 and XB1X and all the games mentioned for GotY for those systems, I have no specific stake in the game. But to sit here and pretend the bias for Sony on this site doesn't exist with the voting done here is ridiculous.

My last post concerning this as I know how quickly some of you move to report any and everyone that doesn't tow the line leading to uncalled for moderation.

*God of War and Spider-Man win*
People: bias.
*Zelda and Mario win*
People are nowhere to be found.

Looking at lists and just going "biased" is low-hanging fruit discussion. If you have something detailed as to not just what games should go higher but why, then contribute. These lists aren't that serious lol

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Very good showing for Dragon Quest XI. It was an excellent JRPG and one of the most surprising in recent years.

The level of craft, worldbuilding and writing that manages to stand tall for 80 hours is something spectacular. It's only a shame that the over-reliance on easy buzzwords such as "it's old-school" or "it's a safe game" prevents people to see how well this game manages to offer something new, and solid.

Oct 27, 2017
There must have been a conspiracy to put Spider-Man above Red Dead. That's it, that's the only way it could have placed higher. Not because more people like the game or some nonsense like that. It was all to rob Red Dead of second place!!!

Oct 31, 2017
The word you're looking for is "middlebrow". And I think you're right on the money. The range of discussion here appeals to players who like to think of themselves as informed and discriminating, in the form of staying plugged into what's scoring over 90 on Metacritic, what's charting in Japan or NPD, what's performing at 60fps, who said the latest outrageous thing to merit a boycott or a firing, what's the latest word from the verified insiders in the rumour mill—all things we can lean on to pat ourselves on the back for being tasteful. It helps if we actually like the games, of course, and we often do. But in the end this is just one niche among many in a large-scale commercial market, and we're all in the thrall of big business. (Yes, even those of us who mostly play the indies.)

I'm not saying this a bad thing—I'm here in the pit with the rest of you, after all, and it's nice to be in a place with enough of a shared basis in history that you can name-drop Kamiya or Suda51 without having to explain who they are, and chuck all kinds of acronyms and abbreviations around that are instantly understood—but it all reminds me of a lot of what put me off about online film circles a long time ago: they'd be full of people who believed themselves to be highly tasteful, championing a few award-winners and well-known auteurs and lesser-known productions that were still fundamentally very populist in their tone, genre, or accessibility, and at the end of the day, they all gravitate back into heated conversations about Christopher Nolan or Peter Jackson or the MCU, because that's where they really have opinions. You'd find very quickly that they didn't have the mettle for anything truly adventurous that didn't already have a stamp of prestige or expectation, and worst of all, that even if they did know everything about film, they knew very little about anything other than film. You would run into so many people who think of themselves as snobs, and might even want to be snobs, but who really didn't have the cultural literacy, in or out of their medium, to truly be snobs.

It's why I abandoned the games-as-art conversation years ago. (Juvenile, hysterical arguments for games as art have done more than anything in the world to persuade me, for the slightest moment, that games might not be art.) The base for "prestige" video games is way too populist, and far too in denial about it, to treat subjects like "art" and "story" with the nuance they deserve, in a way that doesn't degenerate in seconds. Maybe that's exciting when you're twenty and new to all this; maybe that's still exciting if you never outgrew it. But perhaps it's enough to enjoy the mass commercial entertainment we do—most of which is honestly pretty competent and polished even when it's utterly bland—and justify it to ourselves in some way that seems to come down to communicable objective properties and not pure, personal, solipsistic, inexplicable taste.

That's what polls like this achieve, along with this discussion board as a whole. And I'm resigned to that. Some of you are a lot of fun to read, there's just enough overlap in what we play that we can feed off each other, and there's just enough difference in what we play that being here introduces me to new things. It's enough to keep me coming back, as someone who is frequently pretty far out of the local norms.

First, I wanna say that I really agree with what you said in the original GOTY voting thread:

"I always start with some variant of this disclaimer, but it's true every year: January is too soon to assemble a list I can regard as informed. I did not get around to a significant number of releases for which I was squarely in the target audience, and even much of what you see below was not completed to my satisfaction. However, I decided some time ago that I would rather not rush my way to the deadline just to submit a marginally superior entry to the poll: much as I enjoy the annual festival of reading the other summative entries here and fiddling with my own, I've come to find it unhealthy to let it dictate my purchasing calendar or my pace of play. I prefer it if my time with a game revolves around more civilized questions than where to haphazardly rank it in an apples-and-oranges retrospective."

I actually think we should try to do GOTY threads for older years since I catch up with a lot of games a year or more after they were released. I think it's good that it gives us until late January to vote, but once we've had time to digest it and really play much of what the year had to offer can we do a better list.

As it stands, I played fewer than 10 games that were released in 2018, so I just had to order them and omit the ones that I didn't actually think were fantastic or couldn't get into and get a good impression on.

But I only kind of get what you're saying? tbh, what got me away from talking about film years ago -- and film in general -- were the people who were the opposite of what you're talking about. They'd shit on anything that actually made money, and then they'd go, "WHAT ABOUT WINTER"S BONE IT'S BETTER THAN INCEPTION OR TOY STORY OR SOCIAL NETWORK NOBODY'S TALKING ABOUT IT!" And I'd actually have watched it and go, "I honestly wouldn't say it made anywhere near the impression of most of the other nominees." Their idea of snobbishness was to insert names of obscure directors and complain if we talked about Christopher Nolan. That was the most annoying thing.

I'm looking at your GOTY lists, and there's a lot of good stuff... it's also stuff I know about, so I don't see what's more adventurous about it (same as your picks last year since you linked to them in another post). All the indies are indies that broke through (similar to stuff from previous years like Binding of Isaac, Inside, Super Meat Boy, etc.); they're not stuff that you really have to dig for. Maybe I'm just not understanding you, or different things bother us. The only thing I get is early-20s people who think very highly of themselves in game talk, movie talk and politics talk.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only voted for three games this year.

1. God of War
2. Spider-Man
3. Red Dead Redemption II

And frankly it was generous of me to put RDR2 on my list at all.

Spider-Man lived up to and exceeded the hype, RDR2 fell far below it.

Last edited:

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I hope I eventually find time to get around to God of War. I've loved and played every previous GoW...including the portable versions.

I have literally ZERO interest in Spiderman (as a character/comic), but I love Insomniac. Sounds like I have to play it one day anyway.

I absolutely love Western style games, so I've put most of my game time into Red Dead 2, I've managed to get 52% into the game since launch, hope to finish it withing the year, LOL.

Celeste is great, just played it last week. My 6 year old absolutely loves it too.

Apr 9, 2018
You mean like the adults did when The Witcher 3 smacked Bloodborne around, because i remember vividly the reactions of the fanbase that always like to act hollier than thou, except when things don't go their way. I will say this, if RDR2 would won this one, some of the posters acting all sanctamonious in this thread now, would be the ones acting worse, i have a good memory for usernames.

Of course, this is all ridiculous, if GOW won, it surely deserved it, same for Spider-Man with second place but is is beyond ridiculous to act like this forum doesn't have a huge Sony fans userbase, same as Nintendo. I would guess it is dificult for a 3rd party game to win here.

Not worth having a meltdown over.

Has it not occured to you that there are more Sony fans here because it's got twice the install base as Xbox?

Also, when another Forza sequel is the most notable Xbox release in the list you know that that platform will struggle in any GOTY list. It's not a conspiracy.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
I have to say, I never saw the narrative being spun that 2018 was a weak year for games until I read this thread.
That's cause it wasn't. You could argue it's worse than 2017 no problem, but a lot of people think that's a GOAT year. 2018 at the very least isn't the worst of it's gen, because 2014 was atrocious. Then I'd put 2018 above 2016 no problem as well.

It was a good year though I guess it's weak if you are predominantly a Switch/XB1/PC owner.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at your GOTY lists, and there's a lot of good stuff... it's also stuff I know about, so I don't see what's more adventurous about it (same as your picks last year since you linked to them in another post). All the indies are indies that broke through (similar to stuff from previous years like Binding of Isaac, Inside, Super Meat Boy, etc.); they're not stuff that you really have to dig for. Maybe I'm just not understanding you, or different things bother us. The only thing I get is early-20s people who think very highly of themselves in game talk, movie talk and politics talk.

You're quite right about my own lists (I was wondering if anyone would call me on this), and the short answer is that I've been much more aligned with the orthodoxy here in terms of list-qualifying new releases in recent years, as browsing here has actually altered my purchasing patterns (and one can only set aside so much time/budget for release-year purchases at full price, so they'll gravitate towards safety). It's with the backlog from older years and with Early Access that I let myself stretch out, and neither of those are reflected. Obviously I wouldn't do things this way if I weren't satisfied with the results, but rapid consensus-forming sets me slightly on edge, and I won't flatter myself by pretending I'm exempt from it.

My point was that insofar as we have a "games-as-art snob" lean, as the post I was responding to suggested, when it comes to emptying our wallets (and talking about it afterwards here) most of us will be risk-averse about going for what we fully trust to entertain us. I think the GOTY process reflects that, given how most of us are not in the position of receiving review codes or copies; we wind up justifying a lot of highly anticipated purchases instead, as those are the ones we trusted enough to pick up on day one in the first place. I do it as much as anybody, as you rightly pointed out, but I won't for a moment suggest that it makes for art criticism as I understand it. I think a lot of us here want to be serious about unpacking entertainment, but not as much as we want to be entertained. And the whole parlour game of ranking, awarding, review-scoring, etc. is all part of that light entertainment, an excuse to start arguments and spell out our thoughts, rather than anything really analytical. I partake in it with a tinge of embarrassment, knowing it's a lot of dumb fun. This is all a bit of an esoteric complaint, admittedly, but you can see why the thing I value most about running this voting exercise is reading posts from people who are adventurous and uncompromising about their own sense of aesthetics, and not so much the predictable results. I like reading the iconoclasts and contrarians, even if I'm not in the momentary position of being one myself. The point is not to agree or disagree, but to peer into somebody else's unique perspective.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think 2018 was stronger than 2017. Like nothing from 2018 touches Persona 5, obviously, but for me the best games from 2018 (GoW, Spider-Man, MHW, Kiwami 2, DBZ, Smash) were better than anything else from 2017.

Oct 31, 2017
You're quite right about my own lists (I was wondering if anyone would call me on this), and the short answer is that I've been much more aligned with the orthodoxy here in terms of list-qualifying new releases in recent years, as browsing here has actually altered my purchasing patterns (and one can only set aside so much of your time/budget for release-year purchases at full price, so they'll gravitate towards safety). It's with the backlog from older years and with Early Access that I let myself stretch out, and neither of those are reflected. Obviously I wouldn't do things this way if I weren't satisfied with the results, but rapid consensus-forming sets me slightly on edge, and I won't flatter myself by pretending I'm exempt from it.

My point was that insofar as we have a "games-as-art snob" lean, as the post I was responding to suggested, when it comes to emptying our wallets (and talking about it afterwards here) most of us will be risk-averse about going for what we fully trust to entertain us. I think the GOTY process reflects that, given how most of us are not in the position of receiving review codes or copies; we wind up justifying a lot of highly anticipated purchases instead, as those are the ones we trusted enough to pick up on day one in the first place. I do it as much as anybody, as you rightly pointed out, but I won't for a moment suggest that it makes for art criticism as I understand it. I think a lot of us here want to be serious about unpacking entertainment, but not as much as we want to be entertained. And the whole parlour game of ranking, awarding, review-scoring, etc. is all part of that light entertainment, an excuse to start arguments and spell out our thoughts, rather than anything really analytical. I partake in it with a tinge of embarrassment, knowing it's a lot of dumb fun. This is all a bit of an esoteric complaint, admittedly, but you can see why the thing I value most about running this voting exercise is reading posts from people who are adventurous and uncompromising about their own sense of aesthetics, and not so much the predictable results. I like reading the iconoclasts and contrarians, even if I'm not in the momentary position of being one myself.

Well.... yes and no, for me. I remember, again, similar arguments about film about looking past entertainment value. And that is true to an extent (Schindler's List isn't 'entertaining' like The Dark Knight is). But with gameplay giving someone agency, the quality of it and the controls are going to be much more important than with film and shows. Art criticism doesn't discriminate against the highly anticipated and more risky purchases, either, unless I'm misunderstanding that.

But there's again something that you said that has also bugged me for a while: scores. A lot of people try to predict scores and compare games based on scores. One time I found it egregious when someone was comparing Sony's output by Metacritic 90+ scores. He put a bunch of MLB The Show games from the PS3 era, and I asked, "Can you specifically tell me what makes those 90+ MLB games better than the 80+ ones this gen?" No answer.

That's not even taking into account places like PSX Extreme which, if you read its 10/10 review of Metal Gear solid, it looks like a poorly spelled message board post. Yet we're putting it up there in the average.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through God Of War right now, I just got the "an old friend" trophy (HYPEEEEE). I was never a fan of the series but this game is so so good. I still don't know if it will top Red Dead as my GOTY but it (like red dead) seems to be getting better the further I progress into the game.

As an aside, does anyone know roughly how far into the game I am? After I met "an old freind" I got the heart and brought it back to the witch.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
I'm playing through God Of War right now, I just got the "an old friend" trophy (HYPEEEEE). I was never a fan of the series but this game is so so good. I still don't know if it will top Red Dead as my GOTY but it (like red dead) seems to be getting better the further I progress into the game.

As an aside, does anyone know roughly how far into the game I am? After I met "an old freind" I got the heart and brought it back to the witch.
60% maybe? 2/3rds? Somewhere around there.

Oct 31, 2017

60% maybe? 2/3rds? Somewhere around there.

Yeah, it's a big moment in the story, more than halfway, but you still have plenty of game to go. =)

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if the reduction can partially be explained by the winner being so obvious.

I know for me I barely played anything new this year--90% of my game time was Warframe, Stardew Valley, and No Man's Sky.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stating the truth as to this sites bias is now "being salty" according to this guy smh

I own both a PS4 and XB1X and all the games mentioned for GotY for those systems, I have no specific stake in the game. But to sit here and pretend the bias for Sony on this site doesn't exist with the voting done here is ridiculous.

My last post concerning this as I know how quickly some of you move to report any and everyone that doesn't tow the line leading to uncalled for moderation.

I'm always confused when people claim this place is biased towards Sony. My experiences have been closer to having to sift through a bunch of Switch threads urging people to continue talking about how much they enjoy the Switch. If Reggie farted, this place would make 3 Metroid theory threads.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Not worth having a meltdown over.

Has it not occured to you that there are more Sony fans here because it's got twice the install base as Xbox?

Also, when another Forza sequel is the most notable Xbox release in the list you know that that platform will struggle in any GOTY list. It's not a conspiracy.
The "another Forza sequel" is the highest rated racing game this generation and it's on PC too so the platform impopularity shouldn't matter. As a racing fan it really saddens me to see it down at #16 tbh.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The "another Forza sequel" is the highest rated racing game this generation and it's on PC too so the platform impopularity shouldn't matter. As a racing fan it really saddens me to see it down at #16 tbh.
I'm surprised at how low it is on the Xbox only list, but I suppose that's a flaw with how it's just 1 vote for all.
I'm not surprised at it's overall placement, racing games aren't super popular here.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
First, I wanna say that I really agree with what you said in the original GOTY voting thread:

"I always start with some variant of this disclaimer, but it's true every year: January is too soon to assemble a list I can regard as informed. I did not get around to a significant number of releases for which I was squarely in the target audience, and even much of what you see below was not completed to my satisfaction. However, I decided some time ago that I would rather not rush my way to the deadline just to submit a marginally superior entry to the poll: much as I enjoy the annual festival of reading the other summative entries here and fiddling with my own, I've come to find it unhealthy to let it dictate my purchasing calendar or my pace of play. I prefer it if my time with a game revolves around more civilized questions than where to haphazardly rank it in an apples-and-oranges retrospective."

I actually think we should try to do GOTY threads for older years since I catch up with a lot of games a year or more after they were released. I think it's good that it gives us until late January to vote, but once we've had time to digest it and really play much of what the year had to offer can we do a better list.

As it stands, I played fewer than 10 games that were released in 2018, so I just had to order them and omit the ones that I didn't actually think were fantastic or couldn't get into and get a good impression on.

But I only kind of get what you're saying? tbh, what got me away from talking about film years ago -- and film in general -- were the people who were the opposite of what you're talking about. They'd shit on anything that actually made money, and then they'd go, "WHAT ABOUT WINTER"S BONE IT'S BETTER THAN INCEPTION OR TOY STORY OR SOCIAL NETWORK NOBODY'S TALKING ABOUT IT!" And I'd actually have watched it and go, "I honestly wouldn't say it made anywhere near the impression of most of the other nominees." Their idea of snobbishness was to insert names of obscure directors and complain if we talked about Christopher Nolan. That was the most annoying thing.

I like this post (and the one you quoted) a lot. I feel the same way about GOTY lists. I don't just play games from that year, and in fact I tend to play more games from previous years. Looking at my tally for 2018:

1997: 1
2013: 1
2014: 1
2015: 1
2016: 5
2017: 15
2018: 19

And of the games that weren't eligible, a pretty significant 8 of them would have placed, having scored a 9 or above from me, and would have knocked several of my picks out of the top 10. I think the final ERA top 10 or 20 would still be dominated by 2018's big releases and not be affected that much by votes for games from other years, but reading through the voting thread would certainly be more interesting and eye-opening, as well as encouraging more people to participate, especially those who didn't play that many 2018 releases and who may feel excluded or dissuaded as a result.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
There was a Japan release of the game on Nintendo Switch: https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/16/17866542/assassins-creed-odyssey-nintendo-switch-streaming-japan

Regarding the discussion on categories and metadata tags, it is a hold over of how things were done in years previously. In some cases, it can result in weird conclusions, such as Assassin's Creed Odyssey under the Nintendo Switch category. It also severely limits the actual categories available since any categories that aren't based off of metadata cannot be done under the current system.

As part of the GOTY team's post wrap-up for this year, we're discussing how this most recent GOTY voting went and what where we'd like to see things go moving forward for GOTY voting. Tentatively, we're looking at doing a postmortem thread for GOTY 2018 sometime next month. If there are going to be any changes to the format, a majority of the community would need to be on board.

Im gonna request some of the data analysis features like we had from the Old Place: Affinity, Recommended, Hipster, and "Impassioned" I think it was called.

If possible of course. Its someone elses code.

Oct 31, 2017
I like this post (and the one you quoted) a lot. I feel the same way about GOTY lists. I don't just play games from that year, and in fact I tend to play more games from previous years. Looking at my tally for 2018:

1997: 1
2013: 1
2014: 1
2015: 1
2016: 5
2017: 15
2018: 19

And of the games that weren't eligible, a pretty significant 8 of them would have placed, having scored a 9 or above from me, and would have knocked several of my picks out of the top 10. I think the final ERA top 10 or 20 would still be dominated by 2018's big releases and not be affected that much by votes for games from other years, but reading through the voting thread would certainly be more interesting and eye-opening, as well as encouraging more people to participate, especially those who didn't play that many 2018 releases and who may feel excluded or dissuaded as a result.

Yeah, the GOTY threads -- and I partake in them, have fun with them, and appreciate the work behind them -- are way better for just getting a snapshot of what people right at the end of the year. It'd be cool to see this kind of work go into something like a Best of 2013 thread. And then compare it to the GOTY 2013 thread from NeoGAF for example. It can be any year, really. It'd be pretty cool!

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I missed voting, because I'm dumb and waited until the deadline while trying to play as many games as possible - and also wanted to do a drawing for each game, which isn't necessary but felt like a nice way to create instead of strictly consume. Lesson learned!

My list looked something like:
  1. Destiny: Forsaken
  2. God of War
  3. Celeste
  4. Red Dead II
  5. Into the Breach
  6. Astrobot
  7. Minit
  8. Hitman 2
  9. Obra Dinn
  10. Tetris Effect
With honorable mentions to Dragon Quest XI, Thronebreaker, Dusk, and Paratropic.

If I find time I'll finish my drawings and add them at some point.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was the best year of the gen for Sony, not surprised by 4 out of the top 10 being Sony games

They simply nailed it this year

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Should have been a Games as a Service nomination cause Rainbow Six Siege deserves praise every year.

Donut County should have won for Best Game to Play Under the Influence of Something.

Read Dead Redemption 2 is still extremely overrated.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
I never found that line or argument to be compelling.

A video game enthusiast forum will also skew way more heavily to own the latest toy early in the toy lifecycle compared to the general population and even the population that over the lifetime of the toy generation will buy one of the toys.
There is no need for it to reflect the global ratio in any way.

For whatever reason ERA skews towards singleplayer games that are not within the racing and sports genre. That's not representative of the video game market.
Japanese games also get a disproportionate boost in poparity. That's not representative of the video game market.
Consoles are more popular on here than on the global market.

Don't get me wrong: Seeing a disconnect between your own experience and what ERA as a collective and being momentarily confused about the state of affairs is not unreasonable. The part that is unreasonable is getting mad and crying "teh bias!!!!" about it. Therefor I don't disagree with your objection, I just think you're mistaken about the reason.

It's just a popularity contest from a certain demographic. There is self-selection and moderation selection going on for various topics. And that's fine I feel, it's just toys after all.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised at how low it is on the Xbox only list, but I suppose that's a flaw with how it's just 1 vote for all.
I'm not surprised at it's overall placement, racing games aren't super popular here.
Yeah it's all messed up, with PS4 being by far the most popular platform here you essentially have PS4 gamers putting in votes for multiplats on the Xbox list. :P

However, I'm still surprised regarding FH4, especially since the Xbox impopularity don't matter anymore when everything is on PC, and the saying here goes that you don't need an Xbox because the games are on PC too so there should obviously be a lot of PC gamers here. And now when we finally got an amazingly polished open-world racer packed with content which focus on pure fun it's not even at the top 10.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's all messed up, with PS4 being by far the most popular platform here you essentially have PS4 gamers putting in votes for multiplats on the Xbox list. :P

However, I'm still surprised regarding FH4, especially since the Xbox impopularity don't matter anymore when everything is on PC, and the saying here goes that you don't need an Xbox because the games are on PC too so there should obviously be a lot of PC gamers here. And now when we finally got an amazingly polished open-world racer packed with content which focus on pure fun it's not even at the top 10.
I'd imagine the very vast majority of FH4 players are Xbox. I don't think it's got a big enough appeal to get over the Windows Store exclusive barrier, like other MS games do (SoT mostly). Also I think Racing game fans on PC are more into Sim racers, than arcade, so it'd have that going against it too.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
A video game enthusiast forum will also skew way more heavily to own the latest toy early in the toy lifecycle compared to the general population and even the population that over the lifetime of the toy generation will buy one of the toys.
There is no need for it to reflect the global ratio in any way.
I'd gladly see a poll about what platforms people owns but I don't think there is a need for it, the Xbox impopularity shouldn't affect the votings anyway unless there are surprisingly many without a PC as well, and we all know how often that "You don't need an Xbox, just play it in PC" comment pops up.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018

Except 3x more people thought RDR2 was their GotY than Spider-Man. It's just that due to the polarizing nature of the game (especially on this forum), RDR2 either topped someone's list or it was absent or at the bottom. Spider-Man, on the other hand, didn't top so many people's lists, but appeared consistently near the top or middle on enough lists to barely put it over RDR2. I think it makes perfect sense how it ended up in the context of the continued forum controversy around how RDR2 feels to play versus the obvious craftsmanship that went into the game.

It's also incredible how this forum bounces from Nintendo to Sony biased year to year, according to some. It seems to be based on where the most quality games come out in a given year, rather than some insidious fanboy nonsense, but surely it can't be that simple, can it?
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Nomoretrolls gets it. It isn't really harder than this. There isn't any Sony or Nintendo bias. Sony and Nintendo are just releasing quality games.

So yeah. When you say this forum is biased to Sony/Nintendo, you come out as fanboy

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine the very vast majority of FH4 players are Xbox. I don't think it's got a big enough appeal to get over the Windows Store exclusive barrier, like other MS games do (SoT mostly). Also I think Racing game fans on PC are more into Sim racers, than arcade, so it'd have that going against it too.
That's quite the generalization. But you might be right I guess, which honestly makes me even more sad. Multiplayer is free on PC, framerate is higher, graphics is better, you have triple screen options, more settings, it's literally better in every single way on PC. I only play on Xbox when I play it with my kids, otherwise it's 100% a PC game. And from my point of view, nobody with any form of sanity who loves racers should ignore the highest rated racing game for the last decade because of the Windows Store exclusivity.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017

Well, I am in the exact same situation, but I played every god of war except ascension. I immediately tried the square square triangle combo that is etched into my mind until I remembered that I played the reboot. Awesome game so far.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, I never saw the narrative being spun that 2018 was a weak year for games until I read this thread.
I never knew that thinking 2018 wasn't as good as the last few years was a controversial opinion to have before this thread. But I've gotten a definite "how can you think that?!" vibe from a fair number of the responses. Some folks seem really bothered by it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That's quite the generalization. But you might be right I guess, which honestly makes me even more sad. Multiplayer is free on PC, framerate is higher, graphics is better, you have triple screen options, more settings, it's literally better in every single way on PC. I only play on Xbox when I play it with my kids, otherwise it's 100% a PC game. And from my point of view, nobody with any form of sanity who loves racers should ignore the highest rated racing game for the last decade because of the Windows Store exclusivity.
It's based on the racers that get really popular on PC. Stuff like iRacing, Assetto Coursa, Project Cars 1 and 2. As for why? Likely the positive you listed just aren't really available elsewhere and add a lot to Sims.

Oct 31, 2017
I never knew that thinking 2018 wasn't as good as the last few years was a controversial opinion to have before this thread. But I've gotten a definite "how can you think that?!" vibe from a fair number of the responses. Some folks seem really bothered by it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think he means more people thinking it's a weak year, not people thinking 2017 was stronger or 2016 was stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.