• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Plenty of people love RDR2, but you can't dismiss the number of people who have shared the same sentiment as me on Era. There are threads all the time about people's frustrations with that game. It absolutely is a divisive game.

Yeah, it reminds me The Last Jedi situation, except in this case, RDR2 has a good story
People can't admit that it was a divisive movie with a lot of objective complaints

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
But more importantly it's been discussed three times as much as Spider-Man which would probably be a good nap-kin stand-in for engagement number.

I'm going to need some receipts there. Spiderman got a TON of discussion here, but most of that was around September when the game released, so you may have some recency bias there. Remember puddlegate? Niche-man? All the sales threads comparing it to good of war, threads discussing if Spiderman 2 could be multiplat? Honestly, it felt to me like more people were talking about it after it released than Red Dead. But I definitely don't see where you are getting your 'three times as much' number.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it reminds me The Last Jedi situation, except in this case, RDR2 has a good story
People can't admit that it was a divisive movie with a lot of objective complaints
I think you either stop within the first 20 hours or play til the end, the clunky controls and crazy slow start will try it's hardest to get you to quit and the awesome story, characters and game world full of life will try to suck you in until you can't think about anything else than to see everything there is to see.

hoodoowolf

Nov 1, 2017
Why is Assassin's Creed number four of Switch games...it didn't release on it...unless this is counting the Cloud version only available in Japan.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to need some receipts there. Spiderman got a TON of discussion here, but most of that was around September when the game released, so you may have some recency bias there. Remember puddlegate? Niche-man? All the sales threads comparing it to good of war, threads discussing if Spiderman 2 could be multiplat? Honestly, it felt to me like more people were talking about it after it released than Red Dead. But I definitely don't see where you are getting your 'three times as much' number.
The RDR2 OT page counts are three times as much as Spider-Man's OT page count.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you, that's exactly what I'm saying.
I think you are saying much more than that, which is why I quoted your initial post that people have been responding to that Spider-Man getting votes is a quantity over quality thing because PS4 is the most popular console on ERA.

I don't think there is further use in us going back and forth about this without getting anywhere however.
The points have been made, there is no agreement. You posted the same numbers several times and even if you post them another 7 times I won't accept that just posting numbers somehow makes the point that just because a platform is popular that one single game on that platform vs other games also on that platform get some boost.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I can't believe people are still trying to argue because their favourite game didn't win. So much spin being thrown around.

At the end of the day, good games will win. We've seen it time and time again, and BOTW proves you don't have to have a massive install base to make it happen. And it doesn't matter who develops and who publishes because a good game is ultimately a good game and will be recognised as such.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I think you either stop within the first 20 hours or play til the end, the clunky controls and crazy slow start will try it's hardest to get you to quit and the awesome story, characters and game world full of life will try to suck you in until you can't think about anything else than to see everything there is to see.

I stopped after about 30 hours.
I didn't mind the slow start or the controls, but the lack of agency in missions killed me. There is almost zero player choice and it frustrates me because I would have handled many situations differently than what the game wants. The only real choice you have is which mission to start.

Since I started playing it again due to everyone saying the story is so good at the end I have reached and progressed a bit in chapter 4. The game takes more and more away as I play I feel but I've decided to play it like a movie and try to to be bothered by it to see when the story becomes amazing. For me the game part is pretty good outside of the missions which is one of the reason I can do this "restart".

But in general I think you are on the mark.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

The Spiderman OT died extremely quickly for a game that was so popular. Barely any talk of the DLC either after it was released to the point where there a few separate threads for them that only had about 300 posts.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I think best remake/remaster should have been Shadow of the Colossus,since it seems to me that in this category you vote for the most impressive changes/improvements,rather than the game itself. So as much as I love hollow knight,Shadow of Colossus is hands down one of the most magnificent remakes ever

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've played the game to the end, but still think it's a compete sham on UI, gameplay and animations tbh. The story too to some level btw, because it often seems to think it's a Sam Peckinpah level story, while at the same time giving it a good number of Cohen Brothers comedic treatments (which often feel unintentional). It also heavily relies on tropes& cliches and is overly derivative at times.

Long story short, I finished the whole game because I still enjoyed riding a horse in the wilderness (screw riding in St Denis with denser traffic than Paris' Champs Elysee at peak hour), and because I'm just stubborn like that, after spending $60 for the digital version

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I've played the game to the end, but still think it's a compete sham on UI, gameplay and animations tbh.
What do you think is wrong with the animations?? I literally haven't seen better animations, NPCs, Arthur, animals, all the little details and tiny animation variations that almost makes you think nothing is repeated. Imo it's top class from beginning to end. Unless you're talking about the cut scenes then I guess Ninja Theory does it better, Hellblade is truly insane on so many levels, NT were actually doing top class work even back on Heavenly Sword.

Last edited:

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
My take-aways:
  • GOTY is as expected.
  • I love that Spider-Man beat out Red Dead for #2, even though the latter had three times the #1 votes. Delicious.
  • Pleasantly surprised to see Astro-Bot crack the top 10. I figured it was way too niche for that. My final-hour vote change has been vindicated.
  • I'm also pleasantly surprised to see Hitman 2 make the list at all. Bless IOI.
  • RETURN OF THE OBRA DINN AT 17 IS A DAMNED WAR CRIME AND I WILL HUNT EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think is wrong with the animations?? I literally haven't seen better animations, NPCs, Arthur, animals, all the little details and tiny animation variations that almost makes you think nothing is repeated. Imo it's top class from beginning to end. Unless you're talking about the cut scenes then I guess Ninja Theory does it better, Hellblade is truly insane on so many levels, NT were actually doing top class work even back on Heavenly Sword.
Not so much the animations themselves (they obviously had the budget for quality mocap and animators) as their implementations.
The number of times my character had to warp to finish an animation while not being in the requisite position/ blocked by an object (e.g. horse dismounting/ activity), or some glitches ending in downright goofy stuff, from riding invisible horses, to the running animation (my wife called it "shit your pants in motion"), to making you fly off your horse as it tumbles doing a back flip because you barely grazed a worker holding hay, but also to the enforced slow pace which can be "realistic" but also downright stupid as you trudge in camp like you are stuck in sludge.
There is more but yeah, basically for me the implementation of many animations was one thing among many that betrayed the ambitions of the game.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think you are saying much more than that, which is why I quoted your initial post that people have been responding to that Spider-Man getting votes is a quantity over quality thing because PS4 is the most popular console on ERA.

I don't think there is further use in us going back and forth about this without getting anywhere however.
The points have been made, there is no agreement. You posted the same numbers several times and even if you post them another 7 times I won't accept that just posting numbers somehow makes the point that just because a platform is popular that one single game on that platform vs other games also on that platform get some boost.
If we drop Spiderman vs RDR2, can we talk about the voting data on the other games?

There are several examples that point to the same thing, that more votes and lower spectrum spikes will help a game climb even with much less top votes. I understand that the quantity vs quality phrase was a hot take. But literally every single time that a game sits above another game with much less #1 votes it also has more votes and higher spikes around #3 or lower.

I'm just posting one annoying list this time ;) The other ones I list you have to look at yourself, if you want.

Detroit Become Human vs Into The Breach
436 vs 398 votes
#1. 7 vs 22
#2. 18 vs 29
#3. 32 vs 22
#4. 38 vs 22
#5. 38 vs 15

Shadow of the Colossus vs Tetris Effect
Forza Horizon 4 vs Return of the Obra Dinn
Pokémon vs Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Personally I find this interesting, other places don't show the data so I'm just kind of diving into it now because I like to understand what's happening. The reasons for the higher vote count can of course be debated, sometimes it happens on the same platform, sometimes when one is an exclusive, sometimes when one is cheaper or just a crazy popular IP as with Pokémon.

Anyway, I guess time will tell if we ever get to see an actual winner have those #2-5 spikes with less #1 votes. The winner this year clearly follow the fully logical pattern though, the highest vote count and the most #1 votes as well, as it should be imho.

Not so much the animations themselves (they obviously had the budget for quality mocap and animators) as their implementations.
The number of times my character had to warp to finish an animation while not being in the requisite position/ blocked by an object (e.g. horse dismounting/ activity), or some glitches ending in downright goofy stuff, from riding invisible horses, to the running animation (my wife called it "shit your pants in motion"), to making you fly off your horse as it tumbles doing a back flip because you barely grazed a worker holding hay, but also to the enforced slow pace which can be "realistic" but also downright stupid as you trudge in camp like you are stuck in sludge.
There is more but yeah, basically for me the implementation of many animations was one thing among many that betrayed the ambitions of the game.
Aha hehe yeah I've seen some of those, the hilarious sit and walk thing has happened to NPCs at the camp quite a few times and literally every single recorded video for me is when Arthur pretends to be Superman when the horse decides to not jump over an obstacle ;)
But the animations per say are insanely well-made imo. The little things everyone does that I wouldn't even think about adding if I tried to animate something myself, and just in general the consistency that literally everything is well-animated.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
[...]
But literally every single time that a game sits above another game with much less #1 votes it also has more votes and higher spikes around #3 or lower.
[...]

Personally I find this interesting, other places don't show the data so I'm just kind of diving into it now because I like to understand what's happening. The reasons for the higher vote count can of course be debated, sometimes it happens on the same platform, sometimes when one is an exclusive, sometimes when one is cheaper or just a crazy popular IP as with Pokémon.
I'm less interested in talking about that because I don't think the data itself can illuminate why we're seeing that.

I completely agree that a game that is played more will accumulate points because most voters fill out their ballots.

To get a bit on a tangent:
Unfortunately the GOTY don't have the full list of what everyone voted for in a good data format, but I did the E3 votings for a few years and I was confused by individuals that only listed games by a single platform holder.
I think E3 is interesting in the sense that basically 99% of people don't play anything at E3, so it's all just based on trailers and impressions. That's free for all and still some individuals can't find anything interesting outside their preferred platform holder's upcming catalogue?

You could be uncharitable and say they only do it to pad the lists for their team because everything is a platform war.
You could be more charitable and say that they limit themselves to the one place they decided to spend their entertainment hours and everything else would be a distraction.
What I'm however pretty certain about is that it's not a genuine reaction to seeing 150 games and somehow with the diversity of genres represented is only captured by a single publisher.

But I found that there is no point in worrying about these individuals, because while I think they are odd in their selection there isn't a smoking gun to show they act in bad faith and there is no reason found in the data itself that they are intentionally sabotaging the process.

We all come to this voting with different perspectives, values and what gets chosen is quite personal for a variety of reasons. This year I've decided to only include 4 games that I thought were really good. I played more but I didn't consider those to be worthy of even being included.

Others choose differently and then the system creates the rest. As I said in a previous post I don't think I'm alone in that the point system doesn't capture my feelings:
My approximately subjective feelings tried to be expressed relatively:
God of War > Red Dead Redemption 2 >>>>>>>>>> Spider-Man > Shadow of the Colossus Remake

Converted to the ERA point system:
God of War > Red Dead Redemption 2 = Spider-Man 2 > Shadow of the Colossus Remake

Now add in the selection bias from what we attempt to even play, what we have access to and ultimate we do actually have different tastes and you get a hodgepodge of data out of which some limited conclusions can be drawn. It isn't God of War is the best game, it's that out of the demographic that visits ERA, which is different from the global video game player demographic, the demographic that decided participate in voting, which is not identical to the MAU included God of War in their ballots and if it was included with a relatively high point average.

It's a popularity contest viewed through a very specific lense. And like all popularity contests, that which has more visibility will be included more.
(See previous posts of mine for more examples on how I think the ERA demographics differs from the global video game market.)

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm less interested in talking about that because I don't think the data itself can illuminate why we're seeing that.

I completely agree that a game that is played more will accumulate points because most voters fill out their ballots.

To get a bit on a tangent:
Unfortunately the GOTY don't have the full list of what everyone voted for in a good data format, but I did the E3 votings for a few years and I was confused by individuals that only listed games by a single platform holder.
I think E3 is interesting in the sense that basically 99% of people don't play anything at E3, so it's all just based on trailers and impressions. That's free for all and still some individuals can't find anything interesting outside their preferred platform holder's upcming catalogue?

You could be uncharitable and say they only do it to pad the lists for their team because everything is a platform war.
You could be more charitable and say that they limit themselves to the one place they decided to spend their entertainment hours and everything else would be a distraction.
What I'm however pretty certain about is that it's not a genuine reaction to seeing 150 games and somehow with the diversity of genres represented is only captured by a single publisher.

But I found that there is no point in worrying about these individuals, because while I think they are odd in their selection there isn't a smoking gun to show they act in bad faith and there is no reason found in the data itself that they are intentionally sabotaging the process.

We all come to this voting with different perspectives, values and what gets chosen is quite personal for a variety of reasons. This year I've decided to only include 4 games that I thought were really good. I played more but I didn't consider those to be worthy of even being included.

Others choose differently and then the system creates the rest. As I said in a previous post I don't think I'm alone in that the point system doesn't capture my feelings:

Now add in the selection bias from what we attempt to even play, what we have access to and ultimate we do actually have different tastes and you get a hodgepodge of data out of which some limited conclusions can be drawn. It isn't God of War is the best game, it's that out of the demographic that visits ERA, which is different from the global video game player demographic, the demographic that decided participate in voting, which is not identical to the MAU included God of War in their ballots and if it was included with a relatively high point average.

It's a popularity contest viewed through a very specific lense. And like all popularity contests, that which has more visibility will be included more.
(See previous posts of mine for more examples on how I think the ERA demographics differs from the global video game market.)
Thank you for a well-constructed post, seems like we agree on alot of things tbh. A popularity contest may have been a better name for it than my quantity vs quality post :S

Maybe I'm looking too seriously at the data, I agree on the idea that people just fill the list in some cases, I listed 5 games for the same reason as you.

However, I was honestly 100% sure that a multiplat gets an unfair advantage with the point system because of the number of potential voters it gets. But the data doesn't show that, not this year at least. Someone said that exclusives are generally preferred here and the data kind of shows that might be the case. But didn't The Witcher 3 win one year? I need to find that data.

It's interesting though that also FH4 climbed up and had the same spike at the lower spectrum. But one explanation for that could be that it's on Gamepass and PC which gets more people to play it, and racing games seems to end up lower down on these lists by default for some unknown reason. :/

I'd love a serious platform poll, which platforms people here has access to, written in the most unbiased way possible. I think that could explain a lot as long as people vote truthfully.

For example, at this point I don't believe that everyone here has a PC even though the general saying goes that Xbox isn't needed now since everything is on PC, the data for this year actually shows that PC has a small userbase here.

As said before I would imagine that Switch games are higher here because enthusiasts at all sides get it as a secondary system, which makes the userbase big here compared to the global sales differences.

But this is just me guessing.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Thank you for a well-constructed post, seems like we agree on alot of things tbh. A popularity contest may have been a better name for it than my quantity vs quality post :S

Maybe I'm looking too seriously at the data, I agree on the idea that people just fill the list in some cases, I listed 5 games for the same reason as you.

However, I was honestly 100% sure that a multiplat gets an unfair advantage with the point system because of the number of potential voters it gets. But the data doesn't show that, not this year at least. Someone said that exclusives are generally preferred here and the data kind of shows that might be the case. But didn't The Witcher 3 win one year? I need to find that data.

It's interesting though that also FH4 climbed up and had the same spike at the lower spectrum. But one explanation for that could be that it's on Gamepass and PC which gets more people to play it, and racing games seems to end up lower down on these lists by default for some unknown reason. :/

I'd love a serious platform poll, which platforms people here has access to, written in the most unbiased way possible. I think that could explain a lot as long as people vote truthfully.

For example, at this point I don't believe that everyone here has a PC even though the general saying goes that Xbox isn't needed now since everything is on PC, the data for this year actually shows that PC has a small userbase here.

As said before I would imagine that Switch games are higher here because enthusiasts at all sides get it as a secondary system, which makes the userbase big here compared to the global sales differences.

But this is just me guessing.

The Witcher 3 did not win, Bloodborne did. Which would support the notion that exclusives are preferred here.

PC gaming is definitely less popular here for sure, this place is more of a console site. Then within that console userbase I'd say the average user is probably a PS4 + Switch owner. For the obvious reasons that Xbox is less popular than PS4 in general (but even more on here due to the vast difference in exclusives quality) and that Switch doesn't have enough multiplat games to really be your only console, unless you're just more of a Nintendo fan and don't care about those AAA multiplats.

I think Era is super readable actually. Japanese games, Western games with huge narrative focus, exclusives. If there was a game of the generation voting right now I could pretty easily assume Zelda BOTW would be #1, Bloodborne #2, Witcher 3 #3, God of War #4, and Super Mario Odyssey #5.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3 did not win, Bloodborne did. Which would support the notion that exclusives are preferred here.

PC gaming is definitely less popular here for sure, this place is more of a console site. Then within that console userbase I'd say the average user is probably a PS4 + Switch owner. For the obvious reasons that Xbox is less popular than PS4 in general (but even more on here due to the vast difference in exclusives quality) and that Switch doesn't have enough multiplat games to really be your only console, unless you're just more of a Nintendo fan and don't care about those AAA multiplats.

I think Era is super readable actually. Japanese games, Western games with huge narrative focus, exclusives. If there was a game of the generation voting right now I could pretty easily assume Zelda BOTW would be #1, Bloodborne #2, Witcher 3 #3, God of War #4, and Super Mario Odyssey #5.
Aha sorry I was sure TW3 won, yeah that does support the exclusives theory. Bah I need to check the 2015 voting data now. :P

Regarding your GOTG guess. Interesting idea! But why would you assume TW3 would end up above GoW?

If exclusives are preffered and the userbase is like you say then I think it would be:
GoW #1 *
BOTW #2 **
BB #3
SMO #4
TW3 or RDR2 #5

* Based on the idea that PS4 is the most popular, GoW will get the most #1 votes.
** PS4 fans will likely put BB as their #2, so BOTW will enjoy the climb from lots of #3 votes and #1 votes from Switch fans.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Aha sorry I was sure TW3 won, yeah that does support the exclusives theory. Bah I need to check the 2015 voting data now. :P

Regarding your GOTG guess. Interesting idea! But why would you assume TW3 would end up above GoW?

If exclusives are preffered and the userbase is like you say then I think it would be:
GoW #1 *
BOTW #2 **
BB #3
SMO #4
TW3 or RDR2 #5

* Based on the idea that PS4 is the most popular, GoW will get the most #1 votes.
** PS4 fans will likely put BB as their #2, so BOTW will enjoy the climb from lots of #3 votes and #1 votes from Switch fans.
Because it's not a complete straight line of preference. I think TW3 is clearly the multiplat that has resonated the most with the userbase here (and the internet at large) this generation. It was not enough to beat Bloodborne in 2015 but I think the only thing that beats the level of support BB had is BOTW.

Threads like these show the support TW3 has here:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-is-your-favorite-game-of-the-generation-poll.62927/
https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-is-the-best-open-world-game-of-the-generation.80581/
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ga...e-was-your-favorite-and-least-favorite.94996/
https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...nal-update-top-101-up-plus-many-extras.53930/

And while PS4 is more popular, Zelda definitely resonated with people on here more. It's always leading in votes in all these favorite games polls. It resonated with both just normal players and of course has support from Nintendo fans. Also, if your point was correct then Bloodborne would be #1, not GoW. Bloodborne is definitely the most popular PS4 exclusive here.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's not a complete straight line of preference. I think TW3 is clearly the multiplat that has resonated the most with the userbase here (and the internet at large) this generation. It was not enough to beat Bloodborne in 2015 but I think the only thing that beats the level of support BB had is BOTW.

Threads like these show the support TW3 has here:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-is-your-favorite-game-of-the-generation-poll.62927/
https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-is-the-best-open-world-game-of-the-generation.80581/
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ga...e-was-your-favorite-and-least-favorite.94996/
https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...nal-update-top-101-up-plus-many-extras.53930/

And while PS4 is more popular, Zelda definitely resonated with people on here more. It's always leading in votes in all these favorite games polls. It resonated with both just normal players and of course has support from Nintendo fans. Also, if your point was correct then Bloodborne would be #1, not GoW. Bloodborne is definitely the most popular PS4 exclusive here.
Ah okay, maybe TW3 can climb up to #4 then ;)
Seriously though, it's not easy to predict these things, and I guess I'm a little biased when it comes to BB since I didn't even like it, and I loved GoW so for me GoW is the PS4 game of the generation.
Oh well hopefully Era can make an official vote going when the generation ends. I would be very pleasantly surprised to see BOTW win since it's my personal game of the generation as well. But I have my doubts, there were lots of negative opinions floating around when it was put up against HZD.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Due to the complaints. If Spider-Man controlled like complete shit like RDR2 the OT probably would have been bigger.

Spiderman arguably had as many things to complain about as RDR2:

1. Horrible forced stealth missions.
2. Boring side content.
3. Extremely bland open world design.
4. Cinematic heavy boss fights.
5. Barely any enemy variety.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Spiderman arguably had as many things to complain about as RDR2:

1. Horrible forced stealth missions.
2. Boring side content.
3. Extremely bland open world design.
4. Cinematic heavy boss fights.
5. Barely any enemy variety.
Spider-Man has about as much enemy variety as any big action game. Each faction played slightly differently, and each had a few tiers of opponents. I'm not sure what you'd expect, I don't know of many action games with a drastically higher amount of enemy variety

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would be very pleasantly surprised to see BOTW win since it's my personal game of the generation as well. But I have my doubts, there were lots of negative opinions floating around when it was put up against HZD.

Horizon won't even crack the top 10 if a GotG topic is made on this forum. Whereas Zelda will be somewhere in the top 3, alongside Bloodborne and TW3.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon won't even crack the top 10 if a GotG topic is made on this forum. Whereas Zelda will be somewhere in the top 3, alongside Bloodborne and TW3.
You might be right on that but I just used it as an example that BOTW certainly got it's share of negative feedback, BOTW vs HZD rendered plenty of heated discussions.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
The RDR2 OT page counts are three times as much as Spider-Man's OT page count.
That means nothing, though.

We all know Red Dead Redemption II is played by about twice as many people and the scope of the game naturally has more talking points. I mean I haven't played either of them but it's evident from sales figures and game design. It's pretty obvious it would have been the most talked about game in any given year i.e. a thread with more interaction isn't abnormal for a game of that scope where people have been waiting for years to play it.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Ah okay, maybe TW3 can climb up to #4 then ;)
Seriously though, it's not easy to predict these things, and I guess I'm a little biased when it comes to BB since I didn't even like it, and I loved GoW so for me GoW is the PS4 game of the generation.
Oh well hopefully Era can make an official vote going when the generation ends. I would be very pleasantly surprised to see BOTW win since it's my personal game of the generation as well. But I have my doubts, there were lots of negative opinions floating around when it was put up against HZD.
I agree with you in regards to GoW vs BB but Era does not. :(

There should be a GOTG vote, there were ones on GAF. I'd hope so! That'll be my favorite cause it'll give me a chance to pour love for all the best games lol. When it comes to yearly lists I always have a hard time coming up with 10 games I liked. And trust me, BOTW would definitely win. There's a lot of people here that hate it too, which makes it seem so divisive, but you can't subtract points from other games in your own list, so that wouldn't matter. I'd consider it a deserving winner, it'd only be about 6th on my list but I'm okay with that.

Funnily enough I also think RDR 2 would fare much better in a GOTG vote than it did here, considering I think it's a game that will stick with people much better than Spidey will. As seen by the 3x difference in #1 votes. RDR 2 would probably easily finish above Spidey in a GOTG vote.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you in regards to GoW vs BB but Era does not. :(

There should be a GOTG vote, there were ones on GAF. I'd hope so! That'll be my favorite cause it'll give me a chance to pour love for all the best games lol. When it comes to yearly lists I always have a hard time coming up with 10 games I liked. And trust me, BOTW would definitely win. There's a lot of people here that hate it too, which makes it seem so divisive, but you can't subtract points from other games in your own list, so that wouldn't matter. I'd consider it a deserving winner, it'd only be about 6th on my list but I'm okay with that.

Funnily enough I also think RDR 2 would fare much better in a GOTG vote than it did here, considering I think it's a game that will stick with people much better than Spidey will. As seen by the 3x difference in #1 votes. RDR 2 would probably easily finish above Spidey in a GOTG vote.
Hmm I think we need a GoW vs BB poll to clear this up, somebody need to do that asap! ;)
Regarding RDR2, lots of people are still buying it and playing it and it's definitely a game and story that grows on you the longer you play, so the GOTG votings will be interesting indeed. The assumed PC version will render some extra votes for sure if it's a good version. But they need to nail the mouse and keyboard controls! Playing in first person mode takes away most control lag but it would never work with a mouse in third person mode unless they make some radical changes.

Oct 25, 2017

GoW #1 *
BOTW #2 **
BB #3
SMO #4
TW3 or RDR2 #5

There's very little chance of GoW finishing top 3 imo. Bloodborne is way more loved than God of War here if we're talking PS4 exclusives. Top 3 would most likely be BotW, Bloodborne and Witcher.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
There's very little chance of GoW finishing top 3 imo. Bloodborne is way more loved than God of War here if we're talking PS4 exclusives. Top 3 would most likely be BotW, Bloodborne and Witcher.
But why? I don't get it. GoW seems to be genuinely loved by everyone and it really is about as good as an action game can get. I only put it as my #3 last year because I liked RDR2's open world and story so much and got FH4 running beauuuutifully on my PC triple screen rig.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
But why? I don't get it. GoW seems to be genuinely loved by everyone and it really is about as good as an action game can get. I only put it as my #3 last year because I liked RDR2's open world and story so much and got FH4 running beauuuutifully on my PC triple screen rig.
Because this place has a ton of love for Japanese games in general but especially FromSoft.

Also here's a poll for you, it's not directly GoW vs BB but I think it shows the favorite PS4 exclusive around here is BB. This wasn't even 2 months after release too so GoW hype was at it's highest and it still finished decently below Bloodborne. https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-is-the-best-sony-game-this-generation.54278/

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Because this place has a ton of love for Japanese games in general but especially FromSoft.

Also here's a poll for you, it's not directly GoW vs BB but I think it shows the favorite PS4 exclusive around here is BB. This wasn't even 2 months after release too so GoW hype was at it's highest and it still finished decently below Bloodborne. https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-is-the-best-sony-game-this-generation.54278/
Well there you go, that's what I wanted to see. Very interesting!

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we're discussing Game of the Generations, I would assume that on ResetEra, these would be among the top ones:
  • Bloodborne
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • God of War
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
^ This is "tier one" so to say. These will be the five that will be above and beyond the others. But the others might include:
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Persona 5
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • Metal Gear solid V: The Phantom Pain
  • NieR Automata
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Then we have games like Hollow Knight, Yakuza 0, Ori and the Blind Forest, Celeste, and so on, that have very devoted fan followings and would be frontrunners too.

But that top five, in whatever order, will be untouchable.

conman

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first year in a long time where I haven't taken part in the (or the prior site's) GOTY voting. Only played a few great games that were released in 2018. And IMO the voting results bear out my experience: a few big-budget standouts that don't set any substantially new technical or design standards, a couple fantastic games from small-teams, but otherwise, not a very exceptional year.

We're reaching the end of the console cycle and the new Nvidia cards are now pushing PC development toward the next gen too. Probably gonna be a sluggish 2019 while we all wait for the next big cycle to arrive. Fine by me, though, since I'm still catching up on the great stuff from 2016 and 2017!

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
If we're discussing Game of the Generations, I would assume that on ResetEra, these would be among the top ones:
  • Bloodborne
  • God of War
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
^ This is "tier one" so to say. These will be the five that will be above and beyond the others. But the others might include:
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Persona 5
  • NieR Automata
Then we have games like Hollow Knight, Yakuza 0, Ori and the Blind Forest, Celeste, and so on, that have very devoted fan followings and would be frontrunners too.

Agreed, though I think that RE2 could be a contender. It just released so too early to tell but considering how good it is and the fact that it's a damn dream RE2 remake, I think it could be a contender to that top 5.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Well I can't argue with it winning if it does win, lol
I wouldn't argue either, like I said earlier in the thread it'd be around 6th on my personal list but I'm perfectly ok with it winning. It's fantastic at so many things. :) Just had too many issues with the side content (and obviously the story doesn't really compare to actual narrative driven games but that's intentional) to give it my personal top spot.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't argue either, like I said earlier in the thread it'd be around 6th on my personal list but I'm perfectly ok with it winning. It's fantastic at so many things. :) Just had too many issues with the side content (and obviously the story doesn't really compare to actual narrative driven games but that's intentional) to give it my personal top spot.
Yup, that's fair! The generation has been great at providing s whole lot of fantastic games all of which excel at so many different things. No matter what you like, there's something for you. Good time to be a fan of the hobby.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
  • Bloodborne
  • God of War
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Persona 5
  • NieR Automata

If you are talking about Resetera no way Red dead 2 is on there and you forgot Bayonetta 2.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Bayonetta 2 has never done well in the GOTG polls I have made; RDR2 has.
Mmm gonna have to check those out since I dont remember Red dead 2 ever going very high and Bayo 2 not preforming is understandable I guess. Its just such a controversial game on here that it would be surprising, I personally will never touch RDR2 because its not for me but its divisive on Era for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.