• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Mmm gonna have to check those out since I dont remember Red dead 2 ever going very high and Bayo 2 not preforming is understandable I guess. Its just such a controversial game on here that it would be surprising, I personally will never touch RDR2 because its not for me but its divisive on Era for sure.

It's very divisive, but a poll voting for your favorite game of the generation is very different than the GOTY thread format. I kinda doubt RDR2 would even be top 10 in this format, but if it's just voting for your single favorite game then yeah RDR2 is like top 5 or 6 for sure.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to catch flack for this I'm sure, but 2018 was such a dull year in gaming.

Nothing in the top 20 stands out for me. GoW had fun combat but awkward exploration and the story didn't grab me at all. RDR2 was an incredible technical achievement in many ways, but it was just horrible to actually play. Spiderman was a great Arkham clone, but it was a clone.

I enjoyed Dead Cells, but not enough to call it a GOTY worthy title.

At least this year I have a GOTY contender already in RE2.

Feb 10, 2018
I'm going to catch flack for this I'm sure, but 2018 was such a dull year in gaming.

Nothing in the top 20 stands out for me. GoW had fun combat but awkward exploration and the story didn't grab me at all. RDR2 was an incredible technical achievement in many ways, but it was just horrible to actually play. Spiderman was a great Arkham clone, but it was a clone.

Lol

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I thought it was a great year but then i started comparing it to previous years and found some very interesting things.

• Witcher 3
  • Bloodborne
  • MGSV
  • Rise of Tomb Raider
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • The Last Guardian
  • Titfanfall 2
  • Uncharted 4
  • Overwatch
  • Witness
  • Inside
  • Doom

• Zelda BOTW
  • Horizon 2
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy
  • Nioh
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Nier 2
  • Assassins Creed Origins
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Cuphead
  • God of War
  • Red Dead
  • Spiderman
  • Smash
The list is impressive but kinda small. if you dont like AAA action adventure games, there is nothing really that special for you. Japan had a quiet year. No great first person shooter campaigns like Tifanfall 2 or Doom. No indie sensations like Cuphead and Inside. No AAA RPGs like Witcher 3, Skyrim or Mass Effect.

Doesnt make it a bad year but if you arent into Western action adventure games it must not have been a great year.

This year is indeed off to a great start with Resident Evil 2 and kingdom Hearts. The rest of the year should be excellent too simply because it's covering pretty much all genres.

• Resident Evil 2
  • Kingdom hearts 3
  • Metro 3
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Seikiro
  • Days Gone
  • TLOU 2
  • Titanfall 3
  • Dreams
  • Ghost of Tshushima

astro

Oct 25, 2017
M
I thought it was a great year but then i started comparing it to previous years and found some very interesting things.

• Witcher 3
  • Bloodborne
  • MGSV
  • Rise of Tomb Raider
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • The Last Guardian
  • Titfanfall 2
  • Uncharted 4
  • Overwatch
  • Witness
  • Inside
  • Doom

• Zelda BOTW
  • Horizon 2
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy
  • Nioh
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Nier 2
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Cuphead
  • God of War
  • Red Dead
  • Spiderman
  • Smash
The list is impressive but kinda small. if you dont like AAA action adventure games, there is nothing really that special for you. Japan had a quiet year. No great first person shooter campaigns like Tifanfall 2 or Doom. No indie sensations like Cuphead and Inside. No AAA RPGs like Witcher 3, Skyrim or Mass Effect.

Doesnt make it a bad year but if you arent into Western action adventure games it must not have been a great year.

This year is indeed off to a great start with Resident Evil 2 and kingdom Hearts. The rest of the year should be excellent too simply because it's covering pretty much all genres.

• Resident Evil 2
  • Kingdom hearts 3
  • Metro 3
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Seikiro
  • Days Gone
  • TLOU 2
  • Titanfall 3
  • Dreams
  • Ghost of Tshushima

Indeed, thank you for your reasonable and well researched response!

None of the big games this year resonated with me at all, which I found quite strange as I was really looking for a single player action/RPG type to sink myself into.

It did feel like quite a quiet year, despite there being some obviously great (I can acknowledge these are good games even if I couldn't get into them) AAA titles.

As I said, it the year needed right now I'd be happy with RE2 as my personal GOTY, so at this point anything else is a bonus... and there are lots of potentially great releases coming up.

Gaming in 2019 is going to be a lot of fun.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

• Witcher 3
  • Bloodborne
  • MGSV
  • Rise of Tomb Raider
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • The Last Guardian
  • Titfanfall 2
  • Uncharted 4
  • Overwatch
  • Witness
  • Inside
  • Doom

• Zelda BOTW
  • Horizon 2
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy
  • Nioh
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Nier 2
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Cuphead
  • God of War
  • Red Dead
  • Spiderman
  • Smash

• Resident Evil 2
  • Kingdom hearts 3
  • Metro 3
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Seikiro
  • Days Gone
  • TLOU 2
  • Titanfall 3
  • Dreams
  • Ghost of Tshushima

What is this post!?

You forgot:

Monster Hunter: World
Dragon Quest 11
Astro Bot
Tetris Effect

And others.

You mention Assassins Creed Origins but you don't mention Assassins Creed Odyssey! You mention indie games like cuphead but not Celeste!

I guess some people wanna see what they wanna see.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is this post!?

You forgot:

Dragon Quest 11
Astro Bot
Tetris Effect

And others.

You mention Assassins Creed Origins but you don't mention Assassins Creed Odyssey! You mention indie games like cuphead but not Celeste!

well thats kind of the point. some games just dont resonate with people. i totally forgot about the games you mentioned above. i thought about including Celeste but Cuphead and Inside got a lot more critical acclaim.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What is this post!?

You forgot:

Dragon Quest 11
Astro Bot
Tetris Effect

And others.

None of these games had the slightest impact on me.

I don't know why some take that perosnally.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Man, doing the side quests of GoW now and even though it was already my number one it keeps getting better and better. The Valkyrie fights are legit tests of skill

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
well thats kind of the point. some games just dont resonate with people. i totally forgot about the games you mentioned above. i thought about including Celeste but Cuphead and Inside got a lot more critical acclaim.
I think Celeste got just as much critical acclaim, if not more, than Cuphead and Inside.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
What a fantastic year for gaming. I played 6-7 games from top 20 and enjoyed them immensely. Each one of them could have been goty in any other year

Didn't voted this year because to many rules just for simple voting.

Feb 2, 2019

Exactly my feeling. Dull year for me. I bought Celeste and spent my gaming time on PUBG with my coworkers. i tried to get into GOW, but I ended up replaying DS3.

2019 looks equally boring to me. outside of Sekiro.

May 5, 2018
Cuphead certainly sold a lot more than Celeste as it hit over a million copies sold within its 1st 2 weeks of release. Celeste sold over 500k copies based on what's matt Thorson said throughout the year. I have no clue how we'll Inside sold. But I think Cuphead had a bit of disadvantage since it was up against 2017's AAA and AA catalogue which was very strong. 2016 and 2018 felt like a better balance for both AAA games and indies to both shine and both Celeste and Inside seemed to resonated the best with critics of all the indies in their respective years.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

• Witcher 3
  • Bloodborne
  • MGSV
  • Rise of Tomb Raider
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • The Last Guardian
  • Titfanfall 2
  • Uncharted 4
  • Overwatch
  • Witness
  • Inside
  • Doom

• Zelda BOTW
  • Horizon 2
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy
  • Nioh
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Nier 2
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Cuphead
  • God of War
  • Red Dead
  • Spiderman
  • Smash

• Resident Evil 2
  • Kingdom hearts 3
  • Metro 3
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Seikiro
  • Days Gone
  • TLOU 2
  • Titanfall 3
  • Dreams
  • Ghost of Tshushima

I mean, the list is only small because you made it small. There were like 100+ other good games, unless you're only going by what has mainsteam appeal which is just a bad metric.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

• Witcher 3
  • Bloodborne
  • MGSV
  • Rise of Tomb Raider
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • The Last Guardian
  • Titfanfall 2
  • Uncharted 4
  • Overwatch
  • Witness
  • Inside
  • Doom

• Zelda BOTW
  • Horizon 2
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy
  • Nioh
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Nier 2
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Cuphead
  • God of War
  • Red Dead
  • Spiderman
  • Smash

• Resident Evil 2
  • Kingdom hearts 3
  • Metro 3
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Seikiro
  • Days Gone
  • TLOU 2
  • Titanfall 3
  • Dreams
  • Ghost of Tshushima
All subjective,If was my list:

• Witcher 3
  • Bloodborne
  • MGSV
ps: 3 GOTG tier here

• The Last Guardian
  • Uncharted 4
  • Inside
  • Hitman

• Zelda BOTW
  • Horizon 2
  • Uncharted Lost Legacy
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Persona 5
  • Prey
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Hollow Knight
  • God of War
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Detroit Become Human
  • Hitman 2
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Into the Breach
I am looking for in 2019
  • Resident Evil 2 (delivered)
  • Seikiro
  • Days Gone
  • TLOU 2
  • Death Stranding
I don't care for most of the japanese stuff too.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter World is the best selling game of all times for Capcom but suddenly doesn't matter and doesn't move the needle? :P
5th place overall is not bad, all things considered. Competition was just fierce this year and all the games ahead of it were absolute sales juggernauts too. Plus I imagine that Monster Hunter's sales are still a bit skewed towards Asia while Era's userbase is mostly western. It also seems to me that more story-centric games in general dominate these votes.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
5th place overall is not bad, all things considered. Competition was just fierce this year and all the games ahead of it were absolute sales juggernauts too. Plus I imagine that Monster Hunter's sales are still a bit skewed towards Asia while Era's userbase is mostly western. It also seems to me that more story-centric games in general dominate these votes.

Oh sure, I said it in relation to the latest conversation on this thread where the game seems to be overlooked.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
#1 is legit, best game this gen.

Whats wrong with that? RDR is great but, the gameplay aspect is decidedly average.

Reductionist ..the post. Why do people need to tear games down because they liked others more? It's so bizarre.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Insomniac finally getting top recognition that it deserves. Ratchet and Clank has always been my favorite game series since I got Going Commando and their Spider-Man game took that Arkham formula and adapted it for the web head perfectly. The combat is made more dodgey and less brute force style and the alerts before enemies hit you make a lot more sense with spidey cause spider sense. Also had probably the best story DLC I've ever played in a game. I've never had so much fun NOT using fast travel lol and the story is so heartfelt which no one seemed to be talking about in reviews. The way they used Doc Oc was incredible and made him a better character than he's ever been for me. The voice work all around is amazing and the fact that they didn't even use some of the biggest villains shows just how much they focused on storytelling rather than just jamming as much in as possible.

Wish FighterZ had been higher as it is legitimately the only fighting game I've ever bothered to get good at (I'm a DB fanatic and a trophy whore so had to get that 530,000 online trophy). I don't think a trophy has ever been so satisfying as when I won the last match for that one lol legit was running around the room celebrating like a real life anime character

All that being said I still voted GoW as number 1 because as I've said before about it this is the best open world ever. Every inch was just jam packed with unique visuals and unique encounters and the side quests I discovered organically and I never listened to anything else because I was so immersed in the tales of mimir or Atreus and Kratos interacting. That's to say nothing of the story which felt so epic despite very few large scale battles. That
Dragon fight
was legit a top moment of the gen for me.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
All that being said I still voted GoW as number 1 because as I've said before about it this is the best open world ever.
It's really not an open world by todays standards, like at all. It's a world with different areas and multiple very linear paths. Except for the lake you can't traverse straight to your destination but will be stopped by some rubble or a tiny cliff big ol Kratos really shouldn't have any issues to pass but here has to find the correct path around.

Like I said in another thread, it's structured almost exactly like a Metroidvania with how you progress through the world with gear upgrades etc, and if you look at it from that perspective it surely is a great game. If they would add different armour for cold/warm areas and add more enemy variations with area bosses etc to the sequel then it could be among the best.

But even as it is today it's still my number three for 2018 and among the top 5 for the generation.

conman

Oct 27, 2017
None of the big games this year resonated with me at all, which I found quite strange as I was really looking for a single player action/RPG type to sink myself into.

It did feel like quite a quiet year, despite there being some obviously great (I can acknowledge these are good games even if I couldn't get into them) AAA titles.
I'm with you. It's the first year I can remember where I didn't have a top-ten list. There were a few fantastic games, but otherwise, all the best games I played in 2018 were from 2016 and 2017.

I wonder if we're starting to see the consequences of the "games as service" era coming to dominate mainstream publishers' catalogues. Their efforts and resources might be going more and more into supporting games released in 2015, 2016, and 2017, which squeezes out what would have been their new single-player releases. And those few AAA single-player games now have to have so much content that they take longer and longer to produce (RDR2 and whatnot).

kinjx11

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Dragon Quest 11 , wins 2018 for me

Single player campaign , tons of adventures and the PC mod that runs Orchestral OST is so damn amazing

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Insomniac finally getting top recognition that it deserves. Ratchet and Clank has always been my favorite game series since I got Going Commando and their Spider-Man game took that Arkham formula and adapted it for the web head perfectly. The combat is made more dodgey and less brute force style and the alerts before enemies hit you make a lot more sense with spidey cause spider sense. Also had probably the best story DLC I've ever played in a game. I've never had so much fun NOT using fast travel lol and the story is so heartfelt which no one seemed to be talking about in reviews. The way they used Doc Oc was incredible and made him a better character than he's ever been for me. The voice work all around is amazing and the fact that they didn't even use some of the biggest villains shows just how much they focused on storytelling rather than just jamming as much in as possible.

Wish FighterZ had been higher as it is legitimately the only fighting game I've ever bothered to get good at (I'm a DB fanatic and a trophy whore so had to get that 530,000 online trophy). I don't think a trophy has ever been so satisfying as when I won the last match for that one lol legit was running around the room celebrating like a real life anime character

All that being said I still voted GoW as number 1 because as I've said before about it this is the best open world ever. Every inch was just jam packed with unique visuals and unique encounters and the side quests I discovered organically and I never listened to anything else because I was so immersed in the tales of mimir or Atreus and Kratos interacting. That's to say nothing of the story which felt so epic despite very few large scale battles. That
Dragon fight
was legit a top moment of the gen for me.
The way it fell right between him was EPIC. Seriously, we need a lot more of those moments in GOW2.

DarkShame3

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
I wonder if we're starting to see the consequences of the "games as service" era coming to dominate mainstream publishers' catalogues. Their efforts and resources might be going more and more into supporting games released in 2015, 2016, and 2017, which squeezes out what would have been their new single-player releases. And those few AAA single-player games now have to have so much content that they take longer and longer to produce (RDR2 and whatnot).

That's a good point, and another reason I suppose not to be a fan of "games as a service."

lumzi23

Jan 16, 2018

Well Celeste score higher than Cuphead and did just as well as Inside.

Also, you forgot Forza Horizon 4 (though you also forgot Forza Horizon 3 on previous years).

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
My updated list (the original one)

1. God of War
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. Spider-Man
4. Monster Hunter World
5. Astro Bot
6. Detroit: Become Human
7. Shadow of the Colossus
8. Tetris Effect
9. Celeste
10. Yakuza 6

Astro Bot + Tetris Effect blew me away and they deserve a place on the list + Yakuza 6 too.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Had I finished Astro Bot in time, it would have been #2, maybe even #1, battling it out with Celeste.
Looks like I need to play Spiderman. Not a comic book guy at all but seems I'm missing out
Neither am I, but between the game and the Into the Spider-Verse film, my interest in the character went up quite a bit!

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
After clearing the game last month I've got to throw a mea culpa out into the world for placing RDR2 lower on my list mid-playthrough. I did that game real wrong; I would have put it right at the top had I finished it earlier.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Ayyy I was quoted for Smash! Thanks mods!

The way Era does GOTY by committee like this is really cool. Feels really fair and balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.