• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played any of those games... I do have the RE2R waiting on the counter though so that's something.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
6/20 games being Nintendo games.

Outside of 'Disco Elysium', which I believe is coming to consoles sometime this year, you could just happily own both a PlayStation 4 and Switch if the top twenty is anything to go by.

They offer the best of both worlds.

My personal Game of the Year pick is ... *scrolls down even further* ... in 107th place!

Aw, I wish I liked Resident Evil 2. Just found it so repetitive how long zombies take to die, in comparison to the old ones and Mr X wasn't scary just annoying. I personally preferred in the original how bright and elegant the police station was, reminded me a bit of the shining in those old Resident Evil games.

Likewise.

Much prefer the original PSone version... visuals asides, obviously!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Great top 10 with the exception of Fallen Order which is just a head scratcher

At least it ain't one of those lists where it's somehow higher than Sekiro...

death stranding nowhere near GOTY...ya love to see it 😈

#4 is a good result, as is it getting the most #1 votes. But yea, the discourse around it made it clear that it was never going to win lol

I'm surprised FE beat it tho

I forgot to vote in time. Would've been more points for FE & SaGa, as well as probably the only vote for the wonderful Tangledeep.

I've heard good things about SaGa's combat system, maybe I'll try it one day

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
unknown.png

Also, Sayonara Wild Hearts got robbed.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Not gonna lie, this is a bit of a disappointing ranking. The lack of love for A Plague Tale: Innocence is truly appalling.
Death Stranding winning the popular vote, I mean, what even.

Dec 2, 2017
Great job on this to all involved.

Resi 2 coming in first surprised me. I know people love that game but I really thought it would come down to Sekiro or 3 Houses.

Shenmue III didn't get on anything.. :(

I wish SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions didn't come out in the middle of December. I feel like that game would have placed a lot higher if it had a sale or two and more people had the chance to experience it.

I was the only person to vote for Planetarian :( :( :( More people really need to experience that one, it's the most affecting visual novel I've ever played/read. 3 Houses would've been a slam dunk for my GOTY if it weren't for Yumemi.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Best Adventure Games

3. Pathologic 2 = 36 points, 0 honorable mentions

We did it! Also shoutout to the other person who voted it GOTY

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Apex not breaking top 20 is pretty funny. Not too surprising, but really shows how much of a SP bubble this forum slants hard on.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess X gave it to a lot of people, including myself. It's a shame A Plague Tale didn't make it higher, more people should give that game a try. Hopefully now that it's on Game Pass, it will get more exposure.

Oct 25, 2017
I knew that this list would be totally different from my list, so I'm just checking in to see if I was indeed the only voter on PBA Pro Bowling...

...three points, no honorable mentions. Yep, I was.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see RE2 win.
I wish more people here played Plague Tale, at least it made the top 10 for adventure games.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The dismissive comments about GOTYs this year and 2019 overall is funny to me because that's basically what I feel every other year.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
We need a best online only category so FFXIV expansions can get some proper love.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats Fire Emblem Three Houses, glad to see it get the respect it deserves! ...and people are surprised that such a loved game is being represented in Smash, lol.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that Baba made the list and it beat Untitled Goose Game. I thought the former would have been forgotten and the latter would have been placed higher.

A little gutted that DQXI scored so poorly. I'm hoping that's just because people had it down as a 2018 game, but man, not even in the Top 10 for Switch? That's tragic.
Hey now, that was my game of the year, though my vote for it ended up being glitchy for some reason of it not counting. I'm not sure if it was fixed in time or not.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds cracking the Top Ten warms my heart.

If you add a column for number of ballots that a game appeared on and then average points per ballot, it's interesting to see that excluding games with only a couple votes, that Disco Elysium and FFXIV: Shadowbringers are the only games to have an average points per ballot above 3. So most people that played them put them in the 1-3 range.

(Here's a copy of the sheet with that column added) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JThmmU_nxo0aKRsECIZa4IQyZ3INWAqhUFfhJIreQqo/edit?usp=sharing

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very solid list of games, though more Japanese and Nintendo centric than I thought it would be even for Era. The fact that neither Apex Legends or Gears 5 made the top 20 surprises me, especially Apex.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
That's a lot of people who still need to play Ace Combat 7.

Maybe A Plague Tale could have been higher if it had hit Game Pass a month or two earlier.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
A Plague Tale and Gears were both great. Didn't get to Greedfall but I did have my eye on Blasphemous during some of the sales this year. How does Blasphemous compare to games like Hollow Knight, Salt and Sanctuary, and Dead Cells?
Haven't played Dead Cells (rogue likes are no-no) but it's nowhere near as good as HK and S&S. It's still pretty good though.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm actually surprised KHIII is on there, didn't feel like anyone was voting for it lol.

Also, MK11 should have been on there somewhere, at least it got best fighting game of the year.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Apex not breaking top 20 is pretty funny. Not too surprising, but really shows how much of a SP bubble this forum slants hard on.
I wonder if there were others like me who just eventually buckled under the weight of its battle royale trappings, I had to stop and consider that my 100 plus hours of playtime contained a lot more meandering than shootbanging.
No I will not gitgud!

Congrats Fire Emblem Three Houses, glad to see it get the respect it deserves! ...and people are surprised that such a loved game is being represented in Smash, lol.
On the other hand I wonder how many writeups even so much as whispered the name "Byleth" during their adoration.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually surprised KHIII is on there, didn't feel like anyone was voting for it lol.

Also, MK11 should have been on there somewhere, at least it got best fighting game of the year.

Same, I thought MK11 would do way better. Fighting games that aren't Smash don't typically chart that well here though :(

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats Capcom! I jumped in late and was doubtful but I absolutely loved RE2, now I can't wait for RE3! I actually want a new remake of RE1 as well now, that's the Resident Evil I've played the most.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#4 is a good result, as is it getting the most #1 votes. But yea, the discourse around it made it clear that it was never going to win lol

I'm surprised FE beat it tho
FE makes sense for #3. It's far and away the most liked Nintendo game this year, so switch owners could rally around that. Had the second most #1 votes, the passion was there even it was more niche then a BotW or Mario Odyssey so it couldn't break into GOTY.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds, Slay The Spire and Baba is You making the Top 20. I'll take that.

Congrats to RE2. Pretty crazy for a remake to take the top spot, and kinda cements how weak a year it's been for traditional AAA games.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
This just proved to me that more of you need to play Shadowbringers. I would love to see the % of people who played it who had it as #1.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Shadowbringers not even top 20, what the actual fuck? How many votes were discarded because people rightfully typed XIV instead of 14?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Congrats to RE2, didn't expect it to win with this distance but it's a great game. Buut to me #2 deserves it way more, Sekiro is one of From's best.

I always look for the greatest game that was forgotten and for me that was Hypnospace Outlaw, #47... ouch. I hope it releases on more platforms so more people will play it.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there were others like me who just eventually buckled under the weight of its battle royale trappings, I had to stop and consider that my 100 plus hours of playtime contained a lot more meandering than shootbanging.
No I will not gitgud!

On the other hand I wonder how many writeups even so much as whispered the name "Byleth" during their adoration.

BRisms + the forced jolly cooperation doesn't help I'm sure, yeah. Though even then it still tops the chart for MP, over games like MW, Borderlands, etc. which are all huge in their own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.