• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A remake winning shows how bad 2019 really was.
ErAGGDn.png

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
How my list fared!
  1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (3)
  2. Pokemon Sword/Shield (18)
  3. Luigi's Mansion 3 (10)
  4. Ring Fit Adventure (31)
  5. Terraria (302 Sole Vote!)
  6. Catan (321 Sole Vote!)
  7. Super Mario Maker 2 (19)
  8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition (145)
  9. Ori & the Blind Forest Definitive Edition (136)
  10. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (13)
Pretty funny that I had the sole vote for two games.

Oh, and of course a hearty thanks to @Bdubs for all the hard work and dedication to this event. Many kudos!

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Great list. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to play anything this year, but I think all of those games were worthy of their votes. The only thing I would've wished to see on the list is MediEvil somewhere. I actually enjoyed what I played of it this year.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I think that maybe votes for the first Dragon Quest were not recognised as at least one other person and myself had it on our lists and it's not in the spreadsheet. Its entire title is "Dragon Quest" without a I and that is how it was voted for.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
From reading through the voting thread I got the feeling maybe FF14:Shadowbringers deserves the GOTY. Probably not very many played it, but its clear the ones that have loved it.

Since the world, characters, and story are getting the most praise, I wonder if it's possible to experience what people love about it just ignoring that it's an MMO and pretending it's a new mainline Final Fantasy game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Only one of my top ten made the top 20 list, but my vote had an impact on a few category awards.

If you're ever shying away from voting because you don't think your votes will matter, or don't think you will match what seems to be the most popular or most nostalgic or the most...whatever...on Era, please put that aside and submit your vote anyway.
I had Shenmue 3 at the bottom of my list and it barely cracked the top 50. Still hope they do a final one lol but the demand doesn't look high.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Based on how well games like bloodborne and God of war did on this forum I would bet the impact of being a PS4 exclusive on here is not that big.
That's true. But I think we should start listing what platforms we have access to, just so we can understand the data better.

Unless the majority of Era buy a PS5 this year we'll see the PS5 exclusives struggle in a weird way this year no matter if they're the best games ever made. Because, no PS5, no vote for PS5 exclusives.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I've only played two. I think my tastes are pretty different to the majority of the board. Oh well. I might give some of these a shot.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe Astral Chain is that high.

Even moreso that Pokemon made any list.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
That's true. But I think we should start listing what platforms we have access to, just so we can understand the data better.

Unless the majority of Era buy a PS5 this year we'll see the PS5 exclusives struggle in a weird way this year no matter if they're the best games ever made. Because, no PS5, no vote for PS5 exclusives.
I mean, what's the point? You can't be 100% objective. Even if you don't own a XBOX, it doesn't mean that's why you didn't vote for Gears 5 or whatever, you still might not care otherwise. You can't be scientific about what is the most popular here, other than the wide spread votes.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would have been fine with either of the top two games as the game of the year. Congrats to RE2; it fucking deserves it.

Remind me: did we do a Game of the generation poll for the last generation?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Outer wilds was robbed :( hey ho, just proves that most people on resetera are wrong most of the time :)

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I would have been fine with either of the top two games as the game of the year. Congrats to RE2; it fucking deserves it.

Remind me: did we do a Game of the generation poll for the last generation?
I don't think so

Here we go, lol

1: Breath of the Wild
2: Last of Us
3: Dark Souls
4: Super Mario Galaxy 2
5: Mass Effect 2

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Please allow us to vote for more than 10 games. I don't know how one could possibly narrow down the essential games of the last decade to just 10 games
I know it won't mean much but could you please let us vote for 15 games instead of 10 for GOTD? So many games I feel 10 isn't doing the whole thing justice.
Yes please.

B-Dubs this is important! ^
Yeah, I think we'll need more than 10 games. 15 sounds good; maybe 20 too, but definitely not more than that.

Maybe 15 games with the following scoring?

Game #1: 5 points
Game #2: 4 points
Game #3: 4 points
Game #4: 3 points
Game #5: 3 points
Game #6: 3 points
Game #7: 2 points
Game #8: 2 points
Game #9: 2 points
Game #10: 2 points
Game #11: 1 point
Game #12: 1 point
Game #13: 1 point
Game #14: 1 point
Game #15: 1 point

In any case, the two games that will fight for the #1 spot will be Skyrim and Breath of the Wild.

I'm championing Skyrim.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 3 deserved to be higher but happy with the results.Actually surprised with Sekiro, like not in a bad way, just surprised. Except for Death Stranding, I like the top 10. Pokemon shouldnt deserve be in the top 20, Dragon Quest Builders 2 deserved top 20.

I also completely forgot to put in my top 10 planet zoo, lol.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Outer Worlds not even top 10 after all the initial hype. Big Gears 5 nowhere to be seen either in the top 20.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
On Apex Legends not being in the Top 20...

source.gif

Anyway, congrats to Capcom. I´m currently replaying RE2 for the fourth time or so and DMC5 is dope, too.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017

Thank you for providing the data in an easy to access form! I keep a tab with top 50 games (no points just order) for GOTY threads from Era since its inception and Gaf before that, 2016-2004, for fun just to keep track of games I have played/own but not played & games I want to play and don't own and being able to do a quick copy and paste job is appreciated. Most of the Gaf data (which is still nicely provided) was in a text format and little more work to cleanup.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Fire Emblem took third? Nice! I kind of expected fourth, but it actually beat Death Stranding by 9 points.

I haven't played much of this list to be honest, was busy playing Fire Emblem, but congrats to all the winners here, I'm sure they've earned it.

Now we're doing Game of the Decade next? Suddenly I'm glad I never got around to deleting the drafts for my old GOTY lists for here and the old place. Those will come in very handy in reminding me what I liked ten years ago.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, what's the point? You can't be 100% objective. Even if you don't own a XBOX, it doesn't mean that's why you didn't vote for Gears 5 or whatever, you still might not care otherwise. You can't be scientific about what is the most popular here, other than the wide spread voters.
Because it would somewhat explain some results going forward when the userbases will differ a lot.

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
Information
In the coming weeks we will be working with the Game of the Year team to open voting for the Game of the Decade. Any game published in the last 10 years will be eligible and can be voted for. This means you should go back and replay all of your favorite games before voting opens so you can pick which you liked the best.

More information on the Game of the Decade vote will be forthcoming.

Great initiative, list of eligible games/spelling will be quite the challenge to manage so thanks in advance to the team!

Will allow me to vote for sure for once.
Wished to vote this time but realized I played in 2019:
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Oops.
Didn't dare vote for EA Star Wars game, even from watching my son play it a few times ;)

Anyway, nice top 20, little sad overall to see a Remake at the top though (says the guy who adored RE4 on the Gamecube...).

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Information
In the coming weeks we will be working with the Game of the Year team to open voting for the Game of the Decade. Any game published in the last 10 years will be eligible and can be voted for. This means you should go back and replay all of your favorite games before voting opens so you can pick which you liked the best.

More information on the Game of the Decade vote will be forthcoming.
Lol

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think we already know what consoles are the most popular, it's fine.
Now it's PS4 or Switch. But at the end of the year we have a scenario where PS5 exclusives will try to compete with not only PS4 and Switch releases but also AAA multiplats and almost-multiplat MS releases. I just think it would be nice to see the userbase stats in the votings.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
If you compare 2018 and 2017 results the site is down trending (significantly) the amount of participation.

Oct 25, 2017
As with the results for 2018, I thought it would be interesting and data-rich to informally compare the GOTY results to the Most Anticipated Games of 2019 poll from a year ago.

The Most Anticipated vote tends to be an extremely powerful predictor of what will end up on the charts the following year, notwithstanding delays and ineligibilities. It's not hard to see why: you look forward to a game, you prioritize it as a must-buy, thus it has a good shot at a spot in your year-end retrospective unless something really goes wrong. So the big story is in the major swings: surprises that came out of nowhere, reputations built on word-of-mouth, or banner releases that sink like a stone.

This is not statistically rigorous for all the obvious reasons—not even close—and shouldn't be taken too seriously. Still, it should produce some informative general shapes.

In the Most Anticipated list, ties are frequent and noisy, but unfortunately I can't see the raw points data for the results going into 2019. That said, the big alphabetized blocks (implying ties) are rather obvious once you get past rank #120 or so, and so for games that placed that far down, I will count their Most Anticipated rank as the highest in the whole block (e.g. ranks 141 to 169 all appear as one alphabetized block in the raw data, implying a presumptive tie, so I'll count all of those as #141).

Here's the GOTY list for 2019 in the order they finished, and the movement in rank from the Most Anticipated list. Eligible games that moved up from outside the Most Anticipated list's top 20 are bolded.

1. Resident Evil 2 — 1 -> 1
  2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice — 2 -> 2
  3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses — 7 -> 3 (+4)
  4. Death Stranding — announced but undated
  5. Control — 31 -> 5 (+26)
  6. Devil May Cry 5 — 3 -> 6 (-3)
  7. Disco Elysium — 43 -> 7 (+36)
  8. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order — 24 -> 8 (+16)
  9. Outer Wilds — eligible but did not appear
  10. Luigi's Mansion 3 — 18 -> 10 (+8)
  11. Astral Chain — unannounced
  12. The Outer Worlds — 4 -> 12 (-8)
  13. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night — 21 -> 13 (+8)
  14. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — unannounced
  15. Slay the Spire — 141 -> 15 (+126)
  16. Kingdom Hearts III — 5 -> 16 (-11)
  17. Judgment — 8 -> 17 (-9)
  18. Pokémon Sword/Shield — 6 -> 18 (-12)
  19. Super Mario Maker 2 — unannounced
  20. Baba Is You — 129 -> 20 (+109)

(On the Most Anticipated List, Slay the Spire appeared at #157 in what looks like the 141-169 block, and Baba Is You appeared at #129 in the 129-140 block.)

Regarding Outer Wilds: as far as I can tell, it received a 2019 date in December 2018, after the 2018-to-2019 voting thread opened but weeks before it closed. It was mentioned in 5 separate posts in the voting thread, but must have been excluded as ineligible, as it does not appear at all in the results table. (I suppose the change in its eligibility was never properly reflected, but it's not impossible to imagine that the votes for it could have been mistakenly added to the tally for The Outer Worlds, for all we know.)

In any case, Outer Wilds would also have finished as an unknown obscurity deep in the Most Anticipated list even if it had been properly counted, close to its brethren Slay the Spire and Baba Is You, who are the other big winners this year. Compared to 2018, there is far more upward movement from less anticipated titles this year (see: Control, Disco Elysium, Jedi: Fallen Order) but a very low presence of surprises that went from announcement to release inside the span of 2019, all of which came from Nintendo.

Here's what happens if we sort by the top 20 in Most Anticipated. Entries that didn't make it into the GOTY poll's top 20 are bolded.

3. Devil May Cry 5 — 3 -> 6 (-3)
  4. The Outer Worlds — 4 -> 12 (-8)
  5. Kingdom Hearts III — 5 -> 16 (-11)
  6. Pokémon (2019) — 6 -> 18 (-12)
  7. Fire Emblem: Three Houses — 7 -> 3 (+4)
  8. Judgment — 8 -> 17 (-9)
  9. Animal Crossing — delayed
  10. Doom Eternal — delayed
  11. Anthem — 11 -> 128 (-117)
  12. Ori and the Will of the Wisps — delayed
  13. Days Gone — 13 -> 23 (-10)
  14. Dreams — delayed
  15. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled — 15 -> 37 (-22)
  16. Metro Exodus — 16 -> 35 (-19)
  17. Shenmue III — 17 -> 46 (-29)
  18. Luigi's Mansion 3 — 18 -> 10 (+8)
  19. Gears 5 — 19 -> 25 (-6)
  20. Mortal Kombat 11 — 20 -> 41 (-21)

Let's not belabour the analysis; we all know the lead story here is Anthem.

Notably, Metro Exodus and Shenmue III were affected by EGS exclusivity (as were The Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3, the latter previously unannounced but finishing at #39), but I don't think the data is rich enough to say anything informative about whether this had any systematic effect distinguishable from the general reception of the games, when exclusivity didn't seem to stop Outer Wilds. These drops, along with the one for CTR, are in line with the precedent for games from recognized IPs that finished modestly the first time around and were pushed even lower by surprises and breakout releases (see: Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Mega Man 11 in 2018).

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Shenmue III was robbed.

Shocked that Monster Hunter World: Iceborne is not near the top. I expected it to be really high up.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doubt Skyrim comes anywhere close. It's gonna be a battle between TW3, BotW and Bloodborne, mark my words.

My guess is;
  1. The Witcher 3
  2. Breath of the Wild
  3. The Last of Us
  4. Bloodborne
  5. God of War
But BotW2, TLOU2 and Cyberpunk 2077 could also have a say depending on how good they are or not, unless they're beyond the cut off point.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My guess is close:
  1. The Witcher 3
  2. Breath of the Wild
  3. The Last of Us
  4. Dark Souls or Bloodborne
  5. Portal 2 or maybe Skyrim
?? Those won't be eligible.

Ahh fair enough. And yea, you could indeed be right, forgot about Skyrim.

Any idea when the voting would commence for a GOTD award, or if we'll even have one here?

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sword and Shield made it the top #18? Damn y'all. Biggest surprise.

Color me pleasantly surprised with Resi 2 winning. It deserves it. I figured FETH would win it big in these parts, still gotta get to that game eventually (it's one of the many reasons I didn't vote this year). Astral Chain also earned its position, it's the only game of my personal top 3 that made it in this list.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
  1. Death Stranding (#4) - Not that surprising to be honest. It really is divisive.
  2. Fire Emblem Three Houses (#3)
  3. Resident Evil 2 (#1)
  4. Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (#2)
  5. Control (#5)
  6. Kingdom Hearts III (#16)
  7. The Outer Worlds (#12) - Surprised to see this so low.
  8. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (#8)
  9. Devil May Cry 5 (#6)
  10. Call Of Duty Modern Warfare (#38) - I knew I should have given it to another game -_-

7/10 in the top 10. Pretty good year.
The lack of Gears and Plague's Tale is very surprising given the high praises on this forum. I personally thought they were high 7s.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, that VR list is sad. Last year we had a big Sony push and Astro Bot came out but this year it's like half games which didn't even come out in 2019 for the first time. Game like Tetris Effect and Trover aren't even VR-exclusive. Hopefully Half-Life can bring some life back to the format and that Sony won't continue on their current course for VR. Their only future game is only a future game because they delayed it.

Zissou

Oct 26, 2017
As with the results for 2018, I thought it would be interesting and data-rich to informally compare the GOTY results to the Most Anticipated Games of 2019 poll from a year ago.

The Most Anticipated vote tends to be an extremely powerful predictor of what will end up on the charts the following year, notwithstanding delays and ineligibilities. It's not hard to see why: you look forward to a game, you prioritize it as a must-buy, thus it has a good shot at a spot in your year-end retrospective unless something really goes wrong. So the big story is in the major swings: surprises that came out of nowhere, reputations built on word-of-mouth, or banner releases that sink like a stone.

This is not statistically rigorous for all the obvious reasons—not even close—and shouldn't be taken too seriously. Still, it should produce some informative general shapes.

In the Most Anticipated list, ties are frequent and noisy, but unfortunately I can't see the raw points data for the results going into 2019. That said, the big alphabetized blocks (implying ties) are rather obvious once you get past rank #120 or so, and so for games that placed that far down, I will count their Most Anticipated rank as the highest in the whole block (e.g. ranks 141 to 169 all appear as one alphabetized block in the raw data, implying a presumptive tie, so I'll count all of those as #141).

Here's the GOTY list for 2019 in the order they finished, and the movement in rank from the Most Anticipated list. Eligible games that moved up from outside the Most Anticipated list's top 20 are bolded.

3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses — 7 -> 3 (+4)
  4. Death Stranding — announced but undated
  5. Control — 31 -> 5 (+26)
  6. Devil May Cry 5 — 3 -> 6 (-3)
  7. Disco Elysium — 43 -> 7 (+36)
  8. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order — 24 -> 8 (+16)
  9. Outer Wilds — eligible but did not appear
  10. Luigi's Mansion 3 — 18 -> 10 (+8)
  11. Astral Chain — unannounced
  12. The Outer Worlds — 4 -> 12 (-8)
  13. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night — 21 -> 13 (+8)
  14. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — unannounced
  15. Slay the Spire — 141 -> 15 (+126)
  16. Kingdom Hearts III — 5 -> 16 (-11)
  17. Judgment — 8 -> 17 (-9)
  18. Pokémon Sword/Shield — 6 -> 18 (-12)
  19. Super Mario Maker 2 — unannounced
  20. Baba Is You — 129 -> 20 (+109)

(On the Most Anticipated List, Slay the Spire appeared at #157 in what looks like the 141-169 block, and Baba Is You appeared at #129 in the 129-140 block.)

Regarding Outer Wilds: as far as I can tell, it received a 2019 date in December 2018, after the 2018-to-2019 voting thread opened but weeks before it closed. It was mentioned in 5 separate posts in the voting thread, but must have been excluded as ineligible, as it does not appear at all in the results table. (I suppose the change in its eligibility was never properly reflected, but it's not impossible to imagine that the votes for it could have been mistakenly added to the tally for The Outer Worlds, for all we know.)

In any case, Outer Wilds would also have finished as an unknown obscurity deep in the Most Anticipated list even if it had been properly counted, close to its brethren Slay the Spire and Baba Is You, who are the other big winners this year. Compared to 2018, there is far more upward movement from less anticipated titles this year (see: Control, Disco Elysium, Jedi: Fallen Order) but a very low presence of surprises that went from announcement to release inside the span of 2019, all of which came from Nintendo.

Here's what happens if we sort by the top 20 in Most Anticipated. Entries that didn't make it into the GOTY poll's top 20 are bolded.

3. Devil May Cry 5 — 3 -> 6 (-3)
  4. The Outer Worlds — 4 -> 12 (-8)
  5. Kingdom Hearts III — 5 -> 16 (-11)
  6. Pokémon (2019) — 6 -> 18 (-12)
  7. Fire Emblem: Three Houses — 7 -> 3 (+4)
  8. Judgment — 8 -> 17 (-9)
  9. Animal Crossing — delayed
  10. Doom Eternal — delayed
  11. Anthem — 11 -> 128 (-117)
  12. Ori and the Will of the Wisps — delayed
  13. Days Gone — 13 -> 23 (-10)
  14. Dreams — delayed
  15. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled — 15 -> 37 (-22)
  16. Metro Exodus — 16 -> 35 (-19)
  17. Shenmue III — 17 -> 46 (-29)
  18. Luigi's Mansion 3 — 18 -> 10 (+8)
  19. Gears 5 — 19 -> 25 (-6)
  20. Mortal Kombat 11 — 20 -> 41 (-21)

Let's not belabour the analysis; we all know the lead story here is Anthem.

Notably, Metro Exodus and Shenmue III were affected by EGS exclusivity (as were The Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3, the latter previously unannounced but finishing at #39), but I don't think the data is rich enough to say anything informative about whether this had any systematic effect distinguishable from the general reception of the games, when exclusivity didn't seem to stop Outer Wilds. These drops, along with the one for CTR, are in line with the precedent for games from recognized IPs that finished modestly the first time around and were pushed even lower by surprises and breakout releases (see: Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Mega Man 11 in 2018).

This is great- thanks for putting this together.

Status
Not open for further replies.