• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE2 desserves the win!!

I expected to see Death Stranding higher, but it looks like its not a game for everyone, me included.

May 5, 2018
SInce people are doing this, I'll post how my top 10 games did in the poll
  1. Fire Emblem Three Houses (3)
  2. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (36)
  3. Later Alligator (125) :( This game deserves more love.
  4. Luigi's Mansion 3 (10)
  5. A Short Hike (48)
  6. Super Mario Maker 2 (19)
  7. Wargroove (58)
  8. Baba is You (20)
  9. Cadence of Hyrule (43)
  10. Untitled Goose Game (24)
Not too bad. 4 of my top 10 cracked the top 20.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
You can't really get an objective assessment of games through a popular vote of random people, since obviously the games that sold the most will have a massive advantage. Ideally everyone voting would have played every significant game, but that's obviously impossible. Niche games like Disco Elysium or Outer Wilds don't stand a chance against behemoths like RE2 for this reason.

RE2 was 18th in NPD, eras list is very different from a top sales chart. And it isnt random users, these are all video game enthusiast who often play alot more video games than reviewers do, so whos more qualified to vote?

RE2 won because its a great game.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
RE2 was 18th in NPD, eras list is very different from a top sales chart. And it isnt random users, these are all video game enthusiast who often play alot more video games than reviewers do, so whos more qualified to vote?

RE2 won because its a great game.
Yeah I wasn't saying it wasn't a great game. But obviously a lot more Resetera posters bought RE2 than Outer Wilds, making it so Outer Wilds realistically can't compete. I was just speculating about DS based on it getting the most #1 spots, not really saying anything definitive.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
let's see

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening --> 14
2. Super Mario Maker 2 --> 19
3. Sayonara Wild Hearts --> 29
4. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe --> 171
5. Tetris 99 --> 26
6. Yoshi's Crafted World --> 66
7. PICROSS S3 --> 255
8. Pilgrims --> 257

not too bad. more people need to play pilgrims tho, it's a great (and very short and cheap) game.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Death Stranding deserved number 1 but I don't think as many people played it as RE2 (which is also an amazing game).
It's not like God of War won last year here.
www.resetera.com

ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018

OVERALL | GENRE | PLATFORM | CENSUS | DATA Notes: Big thanks to Muzy, BeardedMan01, Rösti, OneAndOnly, Hecht, ratrosaw and all of the site staff for assisting in this year's GOTY effort. This year's trophy was designed and created by Rösti. Thank you community for voting and commenting...

Maybe people just didn't like it or wasn't interested in playing it. Let's be real here. If the game is universally amazing, it will get what it deserves and it has.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like God of War won last year here.
www.resetera.com

ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018

OVERALL | GENRE | PLATFORM | CENSUS | DATA Notes: Big thanks to Muzy, BeardedMan01, Rösti, OneAndOnly, Hecht, ratrosaw and all of the site staff for assisting in this year's GOTY effort. This year's trophy was designed and created by Rösti. Thank you community for voting and commenting...

Maybe people just didn't like it or wasn't interested in playing it. Let's be real here. If the game is universally amazing, it will get what it deserves and it has.

Not necessarily. Some games have a really high entry barrier that many people are not willing to go through (and understandably so). Example: Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers...
You need to play probably over a hundred hours worth of FFXIV to get to it.

Last edited:

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
1. Resident Evil 2 (1)
2. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (13)
3. Sayonara Wild Hearts (29)
4. Astral Chain (11)
5. Outer Worlds (12)
6. Pokemon Sword & Shield (18)
7. Void Bastards (75)
8. Dauntless (168)
9. Tetris 99 (26)
10. Crackdown 3 (82)

Oof, poor Dauntless. On the other hand, I am happy that Sayonara Wild Hearts got in the top 30 at least.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit surprised that RE2 won, I think that Sekiro would have been a better representative for 2019. The fact that a remake is the GOTY shows that it was not a memorable year for AAA releases.

I'm surprised that Three Houses got more points that Death Stranding, 3rd place is a great performance for a niche series such as Fire Emblem.

Finally I'm very happy about Slay the Spire and Baba is You being in the top 20 ! I think Katana Zero would deserve a spot here as well.
RE2 isn't just a remake, it's possibly the best remake ever, at least until FF7 gets released. It wasn't my personal #1 but I still think it deserved the win. I just hope they try remaking RE1 the same way now!

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
let's see

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening --> 14
2. Super Mario Maker 2 --> 19
3. Sayonara Wild Hearts --> 29
4. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe --> 171
5. Tetris 99 --> 26
6. Yoshi's Crafted World --> 66
7. PICROSS S3 --> 255
8. Pilgrims --> 257

not too bad. more people need to play pilgrims tho, it's a great (and very short and cheap) game.

Hell yeah, Picross S3. Between that and finally going back and playing Picross 3D last year, I arguably played too much Picross.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah, Picross S3. Between that and finally going back and playing Picross 3D last year, I arguably played too much Picross.
i beat 4 picross games in 2018. S3, kemono friends, lord of the nazarick, and konami pixel puzzle collection. that's probably a combined 200 hours of picross. i have a problem, i know
picross 3D is amazing too, it'd be a tragedy if we don't get a new one on switch.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
1. Sekrio: Shadows Die Twice (2)
2. Astral Chain (11)
3. Ring Fit Adventure (32)
4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (3)
5. Control (5)
6. Shovel Knight: King of Cards (49)
7. Resident Evil 2 (1)
8. Luigi's Mansion 3 (10)
9. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of Elusive Age - Definitive Edition (29)
10. Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (8)

At the time I voted, I had only played Leon A route, since there wasn't much time left to vote. Now that I've played through Claire B route and started up a new Claire A route, I would actually move RE2 up to #3 on this list.
Jedi Fallen Order feels more mediocre each passing day but I didn't play enough new games to bump it down lol.

King of Cards is sooooo good. I recommend that out of this entire list since it feels so overlooked

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Information
In the coming weeks we will be working with the Game of the Year team to open voting for the Game of the Decade. Any game published in the last 10 years will be eligible and can be voted for. This means you should go back and replay all of your favorite games before voting opens so you can pick which you liked the best.

More information on the Game of the Decade vote will be forthcoming.

GAME OF THE DECADE! Yes! This will be fun.

Oh, and congrats to this year's winners. Weak year, though. None of my top 10 this year will be in my top 10 for the decade.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
smh, no love for the Divinity: Original Sin 2 Switch port. Superb game and an excellent port.

Oct 27, 2017

Oh, and congrats to this year's winners. Weak year, though. None of my top 10 this year will be in my top 10 for the decade.

Obviously opinions and all that, but I feel the opposite, honestly. I can think of at least two games from 2019 that are locks on my top ten of the decade, with a couple contenders even beyond that. Can't say the same for 2012-2014 and 2016 tbh.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
There's an S3? Nice! I'm still working my way through S2. This is good to know though. :) Played through the Zelda 3DS one recently and chipping away at Pictoquest too. I really enjoy these types of games.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't expect Fire Emblem > DeathStranding. Nice.

Game of the Decade Predictions:

1. BoTW
2. The Witcher 3
3. Dark Souls
4. The Last of Us
5. Bloodborne
6. God of War
7. Skyrim
8. Mass Effect 2
9. Red Dead 1 or 2
10. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Could see Resident Evil 2 sneaking in though

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Let's see how my list stacks up:

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (3)
2. Kingdom Hearts III (16)
3. AI: The Somnium Files (32)
4. MHW Iceborne (30)
5. Resident Evil 2 (1)
6. Link's Awakening (14)
7. Yoshi's Crafted World (66)
8. Super Mario Maker 2 (19)
9. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (43)
10. Cadence of Hyrule (42)

Only 2 games in the top 10, 5 in total in the top 20.
You people suck :p

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica

I feel so lucky that my 2 favorite genres are survival horror and character action games, it's hard to put any game above RE2 and DMC5 from the decade for those genres. Awesome year for me!

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
  1. Resident Evil 2 (SNAP!)
  2. Outer Wilds (9 - at least it got in the top 10)
  3. Death Stranding (4 - should have been a snap)
  4. Devil May Cry 5 (7)
  5. Control (ANOTHER SNAP!)
  6. A Plague Tale (27 - sad to see this so low)
  7. Sayonara Wild Hearts (34 - same as above)
  8. Judgment (17)
  9. Borderlands 3 (38 - not surprising on this forum)
  10. Sekiro (2)
  11. Astral Chain (THREE SNAPS!)
  12. Metro Exodus (34)
  13. Indivisible (114 - jesus fuck nobody played this)

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll do mine

01. AI: The Somnium Files (32)
02. Astral Chain (11)
03. Judgment (17)
04. Pokemon: Sword and Shield (18)
05. Baba Is You (20)
06. Death Stranding (4)
07. Kingdom Hearts III (16)
08. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (14)

I didn't play a lot of the more popular games this year, lol. I almost didn't vote this year because I was having trouble figuring out how to order my top 3, but looking at how close some of the placements are my vote actually made a difference in some of the rankings. Judgment and Pokemon's position in the top 20 would have been swapped, and Astral Chain would have been tied with The Outer Worlds

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Untitled Goose Game was robbed.

If I voted (I don't play enough games a year to really feel proper voting anymore), I don't think I'd put this game in my top 10. I enjoyed it enough, but as it went on it got a bit too repetitive for me, and I found it to be too much of a checklist / puzzle game when I'd personally probably enjoy it more as an action exploration game. I get why people like it, it's a pretty appealing concept, charming music that reacts to what you're doing, funny gameplay and quite different than your typical game, plus it's fun to be an asshole (at least in games) and the honking is great, but it just didn't last through even as short as it was for me. I definitely don't regret buying it, but I enjoyed my time in say Hollow Knight much more.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily. Some games have a really high entry barrier that many people are not willing to go through (and understandably so). Example: Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringers...
You need to play probably over a hundred hours worth of FFXIV to get to it.

A lot of games on this list do like DMC5 and Sekiro.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

My #1 of the decade came out this year but that's it. The rest are from other years.
I already have my 10 ready but I hope they expand it to 20

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
It's funny, as I've started to compile and list the games I've loved over the last decade.

The top three? I know 'em like the back of my hand. They'll stick with me for the rest of my days, and I'll love 'em forever. Four through ten/fifteen/twenty? I have no idea how to rank them and am hopelessly lost.

Heaven help me when I have to put the money where my mouth is when we start this thing. I just can't decide!

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Wow ERA, your taste match up with me.
The three games I played the most were RE2 Sekiro and FE. And the two games I platinumed were RE2 and Sekiro.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Didn't vote, but pleased to see Fire Emblem: Three Houses getting good recognition! Good job to all involved!

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Good list overall! Funnily enough I was arguing about GoTY with two mates the other day and they both pushed for RE2 while I pushed for DS.
Sending them this thread will give em a kick haha.

The only thing I disagree with this list is the lack of Metro Exodus, I thought it was one of the best games this year!
Also a criminally few amount of people have played Observation.

Thanks to all the reset era folks involved in creating the vote, great job.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect Fire Emblem > DeathStranding. Nice.

Game of the Decade Predictions:

1. BoTW
2. The Witcher 3
3. Dark Souls
4. The Last of Us
5. Bloodborne
6. God of War
7. Skyrim
8. Mass Effect 2
9. Red Dead 1 or 2
10. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Could see Resident Evil 2 sneaking in though
That's probably a good guess.

Other games that should show up frequently but might not reach the top ten.
The Witness, Hollow Knight, Ori and the Blind Forest, Forza Horizon 4, Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn, Monster Hunter World.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Nice list. I don't know why people are discussing DS at 4 when the biggest omission is gears 5 after people hyped it so much

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Totally forgot to vote but a pretty good list. i would have sekiro at number one, followed by control or resi 2...tough one for those two...overall not a bad list Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.