• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
APEYxcw.png

Overall | Genre | Platform
Notes:

Top 20 Games of 2021
WEzyxIi.png

1. Metroid Dread - 737 points
I've played this game from start to finish seven times now (dear lord), and it's obvious that it'll be far from the last time. My opinion of the game has continuously risen over time. It's strangely addictive in a way that I can't quite put my finger on.

It's my favorite 2D Metroid now. It really started to shine for me once I actually learned the map and could exploit the level design to set my own path through the game, which combined with the top-tier movement mechanics makes every moment of play a joy.

In contrast, my first playthrough felt entirely different. It's guided enough that you don't really get a chance to understand how everything is connected, it's short enough that you don't get a chance to master the movement, and the overall environment & sound design isn't quite good enough to offset those limitations. It's interesting how much my opinion of this game has evolved over time.

Dread has entered the hallowed halls of the games that I'll be replaying over and over again for years. The last game to do this was Sonic Mania. Fittingly, they're both modern revivals of classic 2D series.

I can't believe that Metroid Dread is a game that exists, and it released, and it's great. I've been semi-waiting for this dumb game since the early 2000s. I expect to feel the same way if Half-Life 3 ever gets released.
It took a lot of years, but they did it, and they did it beautifully. Exploration that didn't feel aimless, combat that felt incredible, the atmosphere is up there with the best in the series, and the final boss was one of the best I've played in a long time. I wasn't a person who had an issue with the EMMIs, as I felt they broke up the standard Metroid gameplay, and added to the horror elements of the game which I appreciated. A borderline perfect experience.
It's basically perfect, everything I've been waiting for since finishing Metroid fusion 19 years ago. It defined Samus' character after it was assassinated many years ago, gave Metroid gameplay a brand new spin to compete with the ever expanding indie releases in the genre, and it's the best Samus has ever felt to control. Don't avatar quote me.

JHvvnpp.png

2. Returnal - 695 points
Returnal became one of my favorite games of all time. It is one of the very few single player games, that after I got the plat, I just keep coming back. Since its launch, I'm doing pretty much every week, at least 2~3 runs, just for the fun of it, and I don't see myself quitting anytime soon. The combination of its phenomenal art direction, amazing audio design and the Dual Sense features makes it one of the most immersive experiences that I ever had in gaming. I'm just hungry for more content, DLC, custom runs, NG+, whatever, JUST GIVE ME MORE PLEASE.
One of the best arcade shooters I've ever played, with the additional benefits of roguelite mechanics, top tier aestethics and a bleak and imaginative riddle of a story. Not just my game of the year by a landslide, but also one of my favourite games, period.

EYiTAfB.png

3. Resident Evil Village - 512 points
Village felt like a loveletter to RE4. Very similiar scenarios with a diverse set of locations, ridiculous one liners and memorable over the top villains... it was a great time. Excellent pacing, absolutely zero filler, and I really enjoyed how the game tackled different types of horror so effortlessly. And for a change, I thought a RE game actually nailed the ending too. It was surprisingly emotional and well executed.
An incredibly creepy rural Eastern European setting combined with a superb first-person survival horror shooter. More action-packed than the previous entry but never goes off the deep end in the same way RE5 & RE6 did. Always staying within the bounds of survival horror, always making you feel on the edge. Memorable antagonists, a surprisingly good story and phenomenal level design make one truly fantastic experience.

O8A0HG9.png

4. Psychonauts 2 - 494 points
I'm old. I remember getting an N64 and Super Mario 64 for Christmas that year. I remember laughing my ass off at Crash Bandicoot's plethora of death animations in Cortex Strikes Back. I remember getting the Banjo-Kazooie promotional VHS and it being the first game I ever pre-ordered. I remember playing Jak and Daxter being amazed at how large the world was. So I'm old and I love 3D platformers…well, Psychonauts 2 feels made for me in that way. It's a super charming, modern take on the 3D platformers of old, with a mix of linear levels and wide-open hubs. I actually never played the original, so I was going in pretty blind to the sequel aside from expecting wacky Tim Schafer/Double Fine antics, and wacky it is. What I got was a comfort game that brought me back to the days of my youth when I was hopping and bopping through imaginative, colorful worlds on a tiny 19-inch CRT TV. Psychonauts 2 is everything great about those classic 3D platformers, only modern and sleek. The game looks pretty damn good most of the time, and some of the art direction is straight crazy. The controls are responsive, and protagonist Raz's ball ability is a clever and unique take on a sprint. It isn't a short game either, and doesn't feel in any way like an experiment to throw back to those classic platformers. This is a full-fledged modern 3D adventure in the vein of the oldies.
2021 was a year of releases that I never thought would ever happen, let alone all in the same year. Psychonauts 2, is the definitive example of this. A cult-hit from he mid-00's that has been in development in years through crowdfunding, publisher changes, and other assorted circumstances. What was delivered was a sequel that built on its predecessor and delivered an even better comedy 3D Platformer. Psychonauts 1 and 2 have to be one of the definitive duology's in gaming and the culmination of Tim Schaffer's illustrious career.

Uk7xb7w.png

5. Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart - 482 points
A joy to play from start to finish, bombastic production values, and still the best looking game currently available.
Like Insomniac's Spider-Man games Rift Apart's length is also a strong point- It doesn't overstay it's welcome, doesn't repeat ideas and ends before you get tired of it.
Now bring on a Rivet game.
Rift Apart takes the existing R&C formula and polishes it to an impeccably perfect sheen while adding new mechancs and characters that immediately feel right at home.

A creative and technical marvel, this game was truly just a joy to play from start to finish. It gave me the euphoric feeling of pure bliss while playing that I haven't felt since I was a kid booting up Mario 64 for the first time.

ksIK1eF.png

6. Halo Infinite - 475 points
The feeling of returning home can be glorious, especially when it is filled with wonder and this new, refreshed sense of a wild ride, where you have already landed before.

Infinite brings the same keys, while allowing modern technology and design sensibilities to simply give freedom or joy in this vast, beautiful universe where the world is a challenge no matter how you look at it.

At multiplayer, this game also showcases this perfect blend of classic shooter sentiment and the very best of mechanical polish.

Every match is stupidly fun and full of moments.

There's no better place to waste time, both offerings are the magical trip to a more simple time with energy swords and now, grappling hooks
If you told me in summer of 2020 that Halo Infinite would come out next year and be this good I wouldn't have believed you. Halo to a certain extent has been "dead" since the end of Halo 3. There hasn't been a single Halo game since then that was overall loved by all the different halo communities the way Infinite is now. The campaign is a really great refreshing take on the franchise that has the community really excited for whats next. And the multiplayer is genuinely the best since the original trilogy and perfectly mixes classic and modern Halo.

Halo Infinite is an accomplishment that many Halo fans had pretty much given up on now that 343 had the reigns, but I guess the third time really is the charm. They nailed it, Halo is alive again and the community is as vibrant as it's ever been. It's been 14 years, but Halo is officially back and thats something I wasn't sure I would ever say. Congrats 343, you've finally made it feel like Halo is in the right hands again.

c5nVVfs.png

7. Guardians of the Galaxy - 425 points
1. Guardians of the Galaxy - Superhero games have come a very long way. From the days of the old LJN NES titles that barely functioned as a game, to one of the worst games of all time in Superman 64. But with games like Spider-Man 2 and Batman Arkham Asylum, we started to see superhero games be taken more seriously in terms of quality. Guardians of the Galaxy is another in the line of excellent superhero games that actually managed to strike a balance between excellent storytelling, incredible voice acting, and some very emotional moments. In fact, dare I say that I like this version of GotG better than their portrayal in the MCU.
Eidos Montreal had the pressure on after Crystal Dynamics dropped the ball with Avengers. Luckily for them, they crafted one of the best stories in Guardian's history. While its obvious they've taken inspiration from the films, this guardian's team takes a lot from their comics counterparts as well. And because its a video game, you've got more than just two hours to develop character arcs, and relationships. They pay off very well over time, the tale of a band of misfits who become a family feels genuine, it feels impactful when Rocket goes from calling the Milano his shop, to calling it ours, willing to share with Peter Quill.
Gameplay is solid, nothing mind blowing, but the huddles are fun. You haven't lived until you have fought a boss battle to culture club's i'll tumble 4 ya.
So far in Marvel's gamerverse we've had great, GOTY contenders in the Insomniac Spider-Man games, dissapointing GAAS in Avengers, and something in the middle with Team Ninja's Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Guardians isn't quite up there with Spider-Man but its ahead of its other competition.

9SDNI86.png

8. Forza Horizon 5 - 381 points
Just endless fun. Greatest driving game ever. Me and my friends come back to it every Thursday night to do the weeklies.
Going into Horizon 5, I had a bit of a concern that this would be the game where I finally get tired of the Forza Horizon formula. However, after an hour of Forza Horizon, 5, I already had my answer: haha, nope! This series still fucking rules! I adore arcade-style racers but could never get into sims, and to this day I think the Horizon series is the only racing series I've played that somehow found the mythical "middle-ground" between arcade mechanics and sim racers that truly feels accessible to everyone regardless of their particular taste in racing games.

6G9e396.png

9. It Takes Two - 339 points
I can best describe It Takes Two as some unholy combination of The Wonderful 101's variety, Ori and the Will of the Wisps' boss fights' seamless flow between different types of gameplay segments, and Naughty Dog's escalating setpiece/scenario design, all riding on the back of tight and responsive controls - with double jumps, air dashes, the works - that wouldn't feel out of place in a Nintendo game. Playing with friend @Papercuts , who I am often in-sync with to an uncomfortable degree, our mouths were frequently agape as we yelled "WHAAAAT" at each new environment, gameplay twist or darkly comedic moment. As a matter of fact, It Takes Two likely has some of the highest WPM (WHAAAATs per minute) of any game I've ever played. At some point, the disbelief or surprise of those WHAAAATs transformed into gentle acceptance, with utterances of "what wonders await…" tenderly leaving our voracious maws at the start of each new chapter. I am only exaggerating the slightest amount.
My favorite co-op experience I've had in such a long time. So many different genres and gameplay emerges throughout this game, the story is cute and fun, and the way it encourages you and your partner to work together is magical.

9LD3PHp.png

10. Deathloop - 277 points
Initially I was kinda bummed out while playing this. I felt weak and stupid and wasn't sure if I was playing it right but as you make your way through the loops and gather intel and abilities it all starts piecing together and it feels just right. You start to learn the levels, visionaries that took you 30minutes to find now only take a minute or two, placed where you creeped around unsure you now leap through the window blasting shotgun shells and throwing people in the air. Plus it brings back one of my favourite game modes ever, Counter-Ops from Perfect Dark! An invasion mechanic which is always a welcome addition (and toggleble if you don't want to be on the receiving end).
Arkane doesn't miss, and Deathloop is no exception. Merging the classic Arkane intricate level design with a roguelite was a masterstroke, giving players an incentive to really learn and master every area. On top of it all is a really great multiplayer game that gave me some of my most memorable PVP moments in games. I know people aren't hot on multiplayer being in traditional SP genres, but people really owe it to themselves to jump in as Julianna and hunt some Colts.

11. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker - 261 points
A wonderful send off to a decade long story that nails all the emotional punches you'd expect and more. Music in particular continues to be a huge standout and the gameplay loop is still fun with optimizations to classes that feel fresh.
Probably one of the best Final Fantasy stories of all time, the story and the narrative that was weaved across the expansions came together to create an entry while worthy of standing on its own still manages to check all the boxes in terms of gameplay experience, narrative callbacks and a really meticulously crafted score that excels in evoking every sense of emotion that it was trying to achieve. Its hard to pull off a video game narrative in a regular 3rd Person Action Adventure game and the fact that the team behind XIV pulled it off on an MMO and to sheer quality that it did is just worthy of praise on that front alone.

12. Hitman 3 - 255 points
The modern Hitman games never quite clicked with me despite the fact that I played both Hitman (2016) and Hitman 2. However, with this title, I tried playing without the Mission Stories markers and played the game like an immersive sim: Eavesdropping on conversations and changing plans depending on the situation. And boy...I was completely hooked. With cool twists on the Hitman on levels like the Manor and Berlin, this has some of my favorite levels in the World of Assassination trilogy. I can't wait to continue playing this game with the upcoming VR updates and new content coming down the line.
It is wild to believe to that this game came out in 2021, the longest year in history. But it did, and I loved it, so it makes this list. A perfection of the formula IO has been building since Hitman Season 1, and an infinitely replayable experience with the content from its previous two entries plus MORE.

13. Shin Megami Tensei V - 240 points
In terms of gameplay, this is the best turn based RPG I've ever played. The press turn system is absolute perfection in this game. The exploration and traversal are also amazing for a JRPG. While the story was the most impressive thing I've seen, it was still an amazing experience overall. I'll definitely be revisiting this game at some point which is pretty much the highest praise I can give with so many games in my backlog.
This is the standout game for me. The combat is incredible(never got tired of battling, because the systems are so solid). The game is brutally difficult at times, but it is so totally fair at the same time. At several points I felt like I had mastered the game, only to have my ass completely handed to me immediately after. The reason this never gets frustrating is because each boss is like a puzzle, and figuring out how to solve that puzzle/fusing the necessary demons required is fun! The main reason this game is so incredible to me is the way it handles both combat AND exploration. Even in my favorite JRPGs, the exploration is either unrewarding, boring, or gets interrupted by unwanted battles. In this game the exploration is really fun, and since encounters aren't random, you can explore at your leisure. You will be greatly rewarded for exploring as pretty much EVERYTHING you find is usefuI. The game is balanced in such a way that you never feel overpowered. I feel like the game respected my time by offering insane challenges that never felt insurmountable. I wanted more from the story, but the atmosphere and amazing soundtrack more than makes up for it for me. Coming into this game right after SMT III was interesting. There are sooo many QoL improvements in V compared to III, that I would recommend V to anyone who has ever been interested in the franchise.

14. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles - 205 points
I couldn't believe that we were getting these localised, but also at the same time as a bundle. As a fan of the series, I was wondering what the era change would bring to the table, and the answer is a lot. It gave us a wonderful standalone story with some of the most fun and vibrant characters in the franchise. It was an absolute treat.
The pinnacle of Ace Attorney. A new immersive Victorian Britain setting, a fresh take on some of the classic ace attorney tropes, an epic storyline that builds up and culminates over 10 chapters and a great cast of characters, with the family like grouping of Iris, Susato, Ryunosuke and Herlock being a great core cast, altogethermakes for a fantastic game.

15. Monster Hunter Rise - 197 points
This was my first Monster Hunter game. The first game I played on my newly bought Monster Rise Edition Switch. The game blew me away. The game loop is a simple concept, but a super fun one. I've put well over 80 hours into the game and I haven't even scratched the surface. Played mostly with the long sword, I've gone and slayed many monsters and have maid good progress in the story. I have no doubt this game will continue to keep my time on it even in 2022.
I lived and breathed Monster Hunter Rise when it came out. It's still a phenomenal entry, and I really think that the upcoming Sunbreak will elevate it further. There are some kinks that could definitely be worked out, but the more action game-esque approach the game allows with all the Wirebug movement makes it one of the funnest entries in the series for me. While I know it breaks away from the series' original roots where every swing was slow and deliberate (and trust me, I played that version for hundreds of hours, I'm not saying it was bad!), I think a happy medium could be found. All I know is, whatever comes next will feel like a massive gameplay element is missing as I'm sure Wirebugs are a one-off.

16. Inscryption - 196 points
I can't stress enough how much of an impact this game made on me while playing it. It's been years since I've had a game keep me from going to sleep like this one did. I needed to see what would happen next - what was around the corner - how was the game going to totally reinvent itself this time? And what the fuck does SPOILER have to do with all of this??
The less I say about this game the better. I knew absolutely nothing going in and that's part of why it was such a great experience. At a very high level, it's a card battling game mixed with an escape room, but that is only the tip of the iceberg. Just a wonderful experience and one that constantly challenges your ideas about what it is.

17. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 184 points
I never thought the most exciting and innovative 3D Mario in years would come as a bonus add-on packed with a re-release of my favourite Wii U game but here we are. This game is 2 very different forms of 3D Mario executed to perfection - delightful look backwards and a very exciting look forward.
SM3DW is a fun co-op experience with excellent level design, entertaining character designs, and environment variety. Bowser's Fury adapts the Mario formula to an open-world system. While it does not always succeed, it introduces a more seamless way to experience the plumber's adventures that emphasises agency.

18. Death's Door - 153 points
Reminiscent of the best Nintendo titles, it's easy to read Death's Door as an homage to Zelda, but there's so much more to it. The combat is incredibly tight and just the right level of challenging for me. The main character exudes personality without ever saying anything, and the post-game content is every bit as compelling as the main story.
You play as a crow with a sword, that is what sold me on the game at first, however the fun gameplay and amazing art style is what made me stay. This game was such a joy to play and I have almost no negatives to say about the game. I enjoyed my 12 hours or so, loved exploring the world and finding new secrets and items to help out my main playthrough. I love the boss designs and how they show their HP remaining, this game was great and a must buy.

19. Tales of Arise - 146 points
As a fan of JRPGs and RPGs in general I'm always on the lookout for new experiences that scratch that itch and Tales of Arise did exactly that and more. What made me really appreciate this one was the combat which was addicting with how each character played so differently, the difficult bosses which forced me to engage with the game's mechanics without being a chore and some of the main characters which made the story for the...most part a memorable adventure. While the last part of the game's story takes a dive in quality, the game's combat and characters made it all worth it. And the environments are gorgeous just to put icing on the cake.
The Tales series is one that I generally enjoy, but also don't expect much from. However, Tales of Arise was so big, and the high quality in every aspect of the game was a huge surprise. It is the best game in the series. The story was great, the soundtrack was amazing, the art direction was beautiful, and the cast was one of the best in the series. It deserved all the praise and awards it received, and I hope that this will influence Bandai Namco to continue producing Tales games with the same caliber of quality.

20. Kena: Bridge of Spirits - 144 points
When kena was initially announced I was blow away by the visuals and had faith ember lab would sill be able to achieve the same fidelity in game as a studio primarily made up of animators but was trepidatious on whether they could deliver on the gameplay front as well and i'm very happy to say they have kena is a gorgeous throw back to ps2 era platformers with simple yet enjoyably platforming puzzles and combat the game suffers slightly from from some serious difficulty spikes and occasional bouts of jank
regardless kena is wonderful and a very impressive first go from ember lab
A stellar first project by a studio new to game development. Kena: Bridge of Spirits is easily my biggest surprise of the year, offering a throwback to PS2 era action platformers that plays better than the majority of them could ever hope to, visuals that are consistently stunning in their beauty, and with a map so gorgeously detailed and sprawling it is genuinely difficult to believe this can qualify as an "indie game" by normal standards. I have some nitpicks about the story - mostly relating to how little we learn of the lead heroine throughout it - but it has some strong, memorable moments that actually wrangled emotions out of me and generally feels no less competently written than you'd expect from something people have gushed over being "a Ghibli movie rendered as a video game."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

Genre Awards
HmyhpOy.png

Best Adventure Game
  1. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles - 205 points
  2. The Forgotten City - 136 points
  3. Life Is Strange: True Colors - 129 points
  4. Chicory: A Colorful Tale - 94 points
  5. Sable - 37 points
  6. Before Your Eyes - 27 points
  7. Overboard! - 15 points
  8. Impostor Factory - 13 points
  9. Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind - 12 points
  10. Genesis Noir - 11 points
Rb1Ax3R.png

Best Action-Adventure Game
  2. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - 482 points
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy - 425 points
  4. It Takes Two - 339 points
  5. Death's Door - 153 points
  6. Kena: Bridge of Spirits - 144 points
  7. Hades - 90 points
  8. Lost Judgment - 87 points
  9. Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye - 84 points
  10. Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut - 68 points

cS3xSiq.png

Best Action Game
  1. Death Stranding Director's Cut - 31 points
  2. Chivalry 2 - 17 points
  3. Boomerang X - 10 points
  4. Exo One - 5 points
  5. Samurai Warriors 5 - 3 points
  6. Archvale - 2 points
  7. Tails of Iron - 2 points
  8. El Shaddai ASCENSION OF THE METATRON HD Remaster - 1 point
  9. Ghostrunner - 1 point
  10. Zombies Ate My Neighbors - 1 point

tKRz859.png

Best Action RPG
  1. Monster Hunter Rise - 197 points
  2. Tales of Arise - 146 points
  3. Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... - 124 points
  4. Persona 5 Strikers - 122 points
  5. Mass Effect Legendary Edition - 114 points
  6. Neo: The World Ends with You - 114 points
  7. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade - 97 points
  8. Scarlet Nexus - 57 points
  9. Ys IX: Monstrum Nox - 48 points
  10. Diablo II: Resurrected - 15 points

k7CCDBu.png

Best Horror Game
  1. Resident Evil Village - 512 points
  2. Resident Evil 4 VR - 42 points
  3. Little Nightmares II - 34 points
  4. Mundaun - 15 points
  5. The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes - 12 points
  6. Tormented Souls - 11 points
  7. The Medium - 10 points
  8. Devotion - 9 points
  9. If On A Winter's Night, Four Travelers - 2 points
  10. Alisa - 1 point

pLMak3e.png

Best Platformer
  1. Psychonauts 2 - 494 points
  2. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 184 points
  3. The Artful Escape - 43 points
  4. Astalon: Tears of the Earth - 22 points
  5. Cyber Shadow - 21 points
  6. Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania - 18 points
  7. Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection - 10 points
  8. Castlevania Advance Collection - 8 points
  9. Kaze and the Wild Masks - 8 points
  10. Webbed - 5 points

G5v7phK.png

Best Puzzle Game
  1. Unpacking - 39 points
  2. Tetris Effect: Connected - 9 points
  3. Cloud Gardens - 5 points
  4. Dogs Organized Neatly - 4 points
  5. Maquette - 4 points
  6. I Expect You To Die 2 - 3 points
  7. qomp - 3 points
  8. Rain On Your Parade - 2 points
  9. The Room 4: Old Sins - 2 points
  10. Wordle - 2 points

ebnXLBB.png

Best Racing Game
  1. Forza Horizon 5 - 381 points
  2. F1 2021 - 18 points
  3. Cruis'n Blast - 15 points
  4. art of rally - 13 points
  5. Hot Wheels Unleashed - 5 points
  6. WRC 10 - 5 points
  7. MotoGP 21 - 2 points
  8. Wreckfest - 2 points

2OlOFuP.png

Best Roguelike
  1. Inscryption - 196 points
  2. Loop Hero - 55 points
  3. The Binding of Isaac: Repentance - 24 points
  4. Griftlands - 11 points
  5. Trials of Fire - 5 points
  6. Dead Cells - Fatal Falls - 4 points
  7. SNKRX - 3 points
  8. Curious Expedition 2 - 2 points
  9. Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon - 2 points
  10. Slice & Dice - 1 point

iFwMqo6.png

Best RPG
  1. Shin Megami Tensei V - 240 points
  2. Disco Elysium: The Final Cut - 129 points
  3. Deltarune: Chapter 2 - 68 points
  4. Yakuza: Like a Dragon - 66 points
  5. Bravely Default 2 - 48 points
  6. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl - 35 points
  7. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster - 32 points
  8. Dungeon Encounters - 31 points
  9. Wildermyth - 28 points
  10. Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin - 23 points

RBmwIgW.png

Best Shooter
  1. Returnal - 695 points
  2. Halo Infinite - 475 points
  3. Deathloop - 277 points
  4. Cruelty Squad - 33 points
  5. Outriders - 24 points
  6. Far Cry 6 - 20 points
  7. Battlefield 2042 - 16 points
  8. Back 4 Blood - 14 points
  9. Aliens: Fireteam Elite - 7 points
  10. Call of Duty: Vanguard - 7 points

4jsHENW.png

Best Simulation
  1. New Pokémon Snap - 81 points
  2. Microsoft Flight Simulator - 15 points
  3. Umurangi Generation Special Edition - 7 points
  4. A-Train: All Aboard! Tourism - 6 points
  5. Microsoft Flight Simulator: Game of the Year Edition - 6 points
  6. Mini Motorways - 6 points
  7. Football Tactics and Glory: Manager's Journey - 3 points
  8. PowerWash Simulator - 3 points
  9. Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town - 3 points
  10. Surviving the Aftermath - 3 points

Y2rIPOH.png

Best Sports Game
  1. Mario Golf: Super Rush - 15 points (tied for 1st)
  2. MLB The Show 21 - 15 points (tied for 1st)
  3. Knockout City - 11 points
  4. Football Manager 2022 - 7 points
  5. Riders Republic - 6 points
  6. NBA 2K22 - 5 points
  7. Wrestling Empire - 5 points
  8. eFootball 2022 - 3 points
  9. Skatebird - 3 points
  10. Clap Hanz Golf - 2 points

FCSSGiq.png

Best Visual Novel
  1. Gnosia - 45 points
  2. The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition - 39 points
  3. Doki Doki Literature Club Plus! - 14 points
  4. Echo - 9 points
  5. Emily is Away <3 - 4 points
  6. AI: The Somnium Files - 3 points
  7. Danganronpa Decadence - 3 points
  8. Full Metal Daemon: Muramasa - 3 points
  9. The Sekimeiya: Spun Glass - 2 points
  10. Cupid Parasite - 1 point

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Information
Vote totals for games in this section count only votes for that specific platform.

Platform Awards
86vL549.png

Best Nintendo Switch Game
  2. Shin Megami Tensei V - 240 points
  3. Monster Hunter Rise - 197 points
  4. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 184 points
  5. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles - 148 points
  6. New Pokémon Snap - 81 points
  7. Neo: The World Ends with You - 71 points
  8. Bravely Default 2 - 46 points
  9. Gnosia - 45 points
  10. No More Heroes III - 40 points
OyDAbHF.png

Best PC Game
  1. Inscryption - 196 points
  2. Psychonauts 2 - 172 points
  3. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker - 147 points
  4. Halo Infinite - 124 points
  5. Resident Evil Village - 117 points
  6. Forza Horizon 5 - 110 points
  7. It Takes Two - 82 points
  8. Guardians of the Galaxy - 78 points
  9. The Forgotten City - 70 points
  10. Deltarune: Chapter 2 - 62 points
M6TNBmU.png

Best PS4 Game
  1. Persona 5 Strikers - 110 points
  2. Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... - 87 points
  3. Mass Effect Legendary Edition - 67 points
  4. Psychonauts 2 - 45 points
  5. Neo: The World Ends with You - 40 points
  6. Ys IX: Monstrum Nox - 33 points
  7. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker - 33 points
  8. It Takes Two - 32 points
  9. Hitman 3 - 32 points
  10. Resident Evil Village - 30 points
VunKgG3.png

Best PS5 Game
  1. Returnal - 695 points
  2. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - 482 points
  3. Resident Evil Village - 290 points
  4. Guardians of the Galaxy - 248 points
  5. Deathloop - 211 points
  6. It Takes Two - 144 points
  7. Kena: Bridge of Spirits - 131 points
  8. Hitman 3 - 130 points
  9. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade - 97 points
  10. Tales of Arise - 82 points
7zuyGGR.png

Best Xbox One Game
  1. Mass Effect Legendary Edition - 27 points
  2. Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye - 17 points
  3. Halo Infinite - 12 points
  4. Resident Evil Village - 11 points
  5. Psychonauts 2 - 10 points
  6. Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139... - 9 points
  7. Forza Horizon 5 - 6 points
  8. Scarlet Nexus - 4 points
  9. Outriders - 4 points
  10. Hitman 3 - 4 points
1lbxL9Q.png

Best Xbox Series X/S Game
  1. Halo Infinite - 332 points
  2. Forza Horizon 5 - 265 points
  3. Psychonauts 2 - 249 points
  4. It Takes Two - 78 points
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy - 65 points
  6. Death's Door - 61 points
  7. Resident Evil Village - 60 points
  8. The Forgotten City - 60 points
  9. Hitman 3 - 47 points
  10. The Artful Escape - 39 points
xWy4Roy.png

Best Publisher
  1. Xbox Game Studios - 1415 points
  2. Sony Interactive Entertainment - 1333 points
  3. Square Enix - 1295 points
  4. Nintendo - 1047 points
  5. Capcom - 947 points
  6. Electronic Arts - 489 points
  7. Devolver Digital - 423 points
  8. Atlus - 394 points
  9. Bethesda Softworks - 286 points
  10. Bandai Namco Entertainment - 277 points

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Data

Information
The data as presented here does NOT break down results by platform, so they cannot be used to determine what game got played on what platform. Only one platform will be listed per game. The platform-specific breakdown required additional processing which is not available in a presentable form.

Game Results

Last edited:

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Hey my comment was used cool.

Congrats to Metroid Dread, I gotta play it after I fully finish Pokemon.

OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Always love seeing this list as a reminder of what I missed last year. Must pick up Deaths Door. Thanks to the people that organised this, and those who voted too!

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very surprised Metroid won, thought Returnal would be the site's pick at the time of opening the voting. Haven't played it so don't know how deserved it was. My GOTY was The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles but I'd didn't vote...

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
3 Xbox first-party games in the top 10. I'm curious if that has occurred before. I really think Xbox had dramatically improved their first-party output. It's not even just that they've bought a ton of studios. But Halo and Forza are from long-standing first-parties or long-standing partners.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Excellent top 10, well done everyone. Happy with the number 1, even if it was my number 2. Nice to see The Artful Escape as third best platformer.

By the way Inscryption seems to have more points as a PC game than in the final tally?

Best Publisher Xbox Game Studios... new Era. Has that ever happened before?

OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Excellent top 10, well done everyone. Happy with the number 1, even if it was my number 2. Nice to see The Artful Escape as third best platformer.

By the way Inscryption seems to have more points as a PC game than in the final tally?
whoops, thought I'd caught all of those (sometimes points get weird because votes aren't formatted correctly, etc., so there's some manual fixing). Let me get that.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
No indie games in the top 10 aside from It Takes Two, damn. Before Your Eyes back in the days of Journey or Brothers would have sweeped, such a singular, innovative, and emotional experience. But glad to see Inscryption connecting with a lot of folks here, and for Unpacking to win best puzzle game. If there was a category for best open world game, Sable would be an easy winner. Nice to see Psychonauts 2 doing really well, would have voted for it if I played more. Returnal was really cool from the couple of hours I've played, quite daring for such a game at the AAA level.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
Metroid rightfully taking it's place at the top. A classic that I will be replaying for the rest of my life. Part of me still can't believe it exists, and is incredible. Bring on Prime 4 baby.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So close to being proud of you all for keeping Deathloop out the top 10. Shit game.

Returnal should have won but Dread was great too.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I struggled between choosing GotG or Metroid as my number 1 choice, but this is a really good top 10 even with Deathloop bringing up the rear.

And it seems that no one on Era plays sports games anymore, which I find hilarious.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Fun results!

Though I did think the process of voting was way too cumbersome. I never really had the time to spend on doing the entire thing.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Shitty result in my opinion. Most people who played both games (based on their lists) put Returnal above Metroid, which means they preferred Returnal when having played both. Myself included. Metroid is an awesome game, top 3 of the year in fact, but it's absolutely not better than Returnal. At the end of the day though, it's about how many people played which games, and Metroid is clearly a lot more popular than Returnal.

GOTY 2022 is going to be nuts, with two top contenders releasing over the next two weeks.

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats on organizing this. Massive endeavor and always great resource to find games that flew under my radar or didn't get love at launch.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
3 Xbox first-party games in the top 10. I'm curious if that has occurred before. I really think Xbox had dramatically improved their first-party output. It's not even just that they've bought a ton of studios. But Halo and Forza are from long-standing first-parties or long-standing partners.
I was honestly very surprised when they took the Best Publisher Award and even more surprised when it wasn't even close.

Same with Metroid Dread. Though the point totals look close, the number of votes really wasn't at all. People just loved Dread.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Shitty result in my opinion. Most people who played both games (based on their lists) put Returnal above Metroid, which means they preferred Returnal when having played both. Myself included. Metroid is an awesome game, top 3 of the year in fact, but it's absolutely not better than Returnal. At the end of the day though, it's about how many people played which games, and Metroid is clearly a lot more popular than Returnal.

GOTY 2022 is going to be nuts, with two top contenders releasing over the next two weeks.
I don't like roguelites, sorry 🤷‍♂️

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Never thought I'd see the day that Xbox was listed as the best publisher on this site. I'm sure it helps that Psychonauts 2 and Deathloop were on PS5 and so got some votes from PS owners, but never thought I'd see it.

It Takes Two deserved better but I'm not surprised considering the co-op barrier and this place being so "biased" towards single player games.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
My first time being quoted in one of these GotY results posts and it's the top spot for the #1 GotY. Woo, go me.

I expected Returnal to win over Dread, but I actually think the biggest upset is Gnosia edging out The House in Fata Morgana for the visual novel category.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
I struggled between choosing GotG or Metroid as my number 1 choice, but this is a really good top 10 even with Deathloop bringing up the rear.

And it seems that no one on Era plays sports games anymore, which I find hilarious.

I play a ton of sports games but the annual releases (ie: MLB The Show) would never make it on my GOTY list, cause it's an annual release with minimal changes and I'm just constantly playing the franchise, so it doesn't really seem fit for a GOTY list. I could see a sports game like Mario Strikers making it though, provided it ends up being close to as good as the original!

Jan 11, 2018

If it were a matter of popularity then something like Halo or Village would have won.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Never thought I'd see the day that Xbox was listed as the best publisher on this site. I'm sure it helps that Psychonauts 2 and Deathloop were on PS5 and so got some votes from PS owners, but never thought I'd see it.

It Takes Two deserved better but I'm not surprised considering the co-op barrier and this place being so "biased" towards single player games.
Actually, we didn't fold the Bethesda stuff into the Xbox Studios results this year. Xbox Studios won it without any Bethesda games going toward their totals. This was a straight win for them.