ResetEra January 2018 Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

Foreword

Happy 2018 everyone! The start of the New Year has been a busy time around here, but we're laying the groundwork for some really awesome things in the future. And of course, with today being February 1st, E3 2018 is only a little over five months away.

Site Upgrade:

We recently upgraded our hosting solution to allow for dynamic allocation of computational resources. This will ensure that we are well prepared for any kind of traffic the website might encounter. (Here’s looking at you, E3.) You can find additional information here.

Mod Team Update:

As our community continues to grow (recently exceeding 35,000 active members!) new moderators are needed to respond to the ever changing landscape. In accordance, we have bolstered our team with five new moderators who we are pleased to introduce now. Please welcome:

FelipeMGM
Finale Fireworker
nihilence
Toon Link
Wonderment

We're very excited about the variety of perspectives that these outstanding individuals will bring to the team. As a reminder, you can always find a complete and updated staff roster here.

Funding Update:

Earlier this month we introduced advertisements as well as a paid ad removal subscription service. We're blown away by the strength of your support and have been working hard to ensure that the quality of the ads meet the high standards that you deserve. If you wish to support the site but don't want to view ads, Era Clear ad removal is available for $3.99/month or $39.99/year.

GOTY Update:

We're absolutely delighted by how ResetEra's first annual GOTY awards turned out. We'd like to thank once again the team who sacrificed their time and energy to put this project together, as well as all of you in the community who voted and made your voices heard. You can see the results here. We've also heard your suggestions regarding the system, and it is our intention to innovate and improve next year.

As a notice going forward, while we allowed stickies for generally any "thing of the year" this year, after discussion among the team and feedback from the public, we will be cancelling that policy. The number of stickies very quickly got out of hand.

New Game Releases:

Here are the notable game releases for January. You can find their OTs below.
Also special shoutout to the creator of the Dragon Ball FighterZ OT, our very own donkey show, who was recognized for his incredible work by ArcSystemWorks America:

Community Spotlights:

Due in part to the number of stickies that had been piling up, the Community Spotlight program was temporarily placed on hold in January. With those voting threads ending, we will be resuming the Community Spotlight program in February.

Thread of the Month:

What would happen if you tried to load ResetEra from a Dreamcast browser? Apparently, an epic journey and over 650 posts that may or may not have crashed the site along the way. Check out our thread of the month: Can't access ResetEra from Sega Dreamcast...

Community Events:

This section of the newsletter is set aside for Community Events. Please note that any events mentioned here are not officially sponsored, organized by, or affiliated with ResetEra, LLC or the site staff. These are community run and community operated. We cannot police these events, but we'd like to acknowledge the hard work and camaraderie of the community. If you have community events that you are going to be hosting, please contact SweetNicole if you would like to be included in a future newsletter.

How did you like this newsletter? Are there things you would like to see included in future ones? What sort of changes should we make to improve the format? Please sound off in the replies to this thread.

This concludes the January 2018 Newsletter. Thanks for being the best community on the internet. Have a great February.

Oct 26, 2017
Daaaaamn, Finale got promoted? Always love reading his posts and repping EBA. Big congrats to him and everyone else who made it!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the FighterZ OT is mad good.

Also a mod named Toon Link doesn't have the proper avatar, WTF. Way to set an example for other users. Not even minish cap Link SMH.

Absolutelydisgusting.gif

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Not to be a party pooper but a few updates ago, typing on mobile has been borked. Autocorrect specifically. I know it's not an issue with Chrome, Google Keyboard or my phone. I mentioned this in another thread a few weeks ago, but no one got back to me. It's quite literally ONLY this site where I have issues typing. Nowhere else and no other app do I have problems.

Oct 25, 2017
How did the Switch Direct Thread that got noticed by Nintendo, got the site logo changed, and results in 600+ pages of pure insanity NOT get Thread of the Month?!

My only complaint. Otherwise, great newsletter!

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Wow, I'm surprised to see Felipe Mesquita as moderator. hahaha I would never expect this happening and this is strange when I'm a listener of the podcast where he's part of.

Oct 25, 2017
www.nsidr.com
I think it would be neat if the newsletter gave a preview of new design or feature changes coming down the pipe. We know y'all are working on a ton, a screenshot of a preliminary mobile redesign would be a cool treat for example.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Celeste isn't a notable game in January?? Indie games aren't notable??
Sorry, the list I use to compile game releases is sometimes incomplete. I've gone ahead and added Celeste to the game releases.
I'd like to suggest considering Iconoclasts for a notable game as well: https://www.resetera.com/threads/iconoclasts-ot.18316/

Got an OT and it's doing fairly well with reviews (currently an 87 on Metacritic on PC). I know it's not getting as much attention as Celeste but I think it's worth noting.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Not to be a party pooper but a few updates ago, typing on mobile has been borked. Autocorrect specifically. I know it's not an issue with Chrome, Google Keyboard or my phone. I mentioned this in another thread a few weeks ago, but no one got back to me. It's quite literally ONLY this site where I have issues typing. Nowhere else and no other app do I have problems.
Same! I thought my keyboard was glitching.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
When's the census data for the GotY results planned to be released?
We've been having issues lining up our schedules to create the census, but we'll get it done.

I'd like to suggest considering Iconoclasts for a notable game as well: https://www.resetera.com/threads/iconoclasts-ot.18316/

Got an OT and it's doing fairly well with reviews (currently an 87 on Metacritic on PC). I know it's not getting as much attention as Celeste but I think it's worth noting.
Added!

pulga

Banned for alt account
Oct 26, 2017
How did the Switch Direct Thread that got noticed by Nintendo, got the site logo changed, and results in 600+ pages of pure insanity NOT get Thread of the Month?!

While the Dreamcast thread is a hilarious read, the Direct thread should've won it this month. Not that this matters much lol, but that thread was INSANE.

Echo

Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever

Like 500 of those pages were gif quote chains and memelords with single word/picture posts. It's existence is more a monument of cringe than anything else.

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Same! I thought my keyboard was glitching.
We are aware of this and looking into it. Please be patient. Thanks.

Oct 28, 2017
Why wasn't my "Being born with a smaller-than-average..." chosen as the Thread of the Month? It was raw and honest.

I'll be back with a thread for February that will truly break the internet though ;)

Nov 12, 2017
As a notice going forward, while we allowed stickies for generally any "thing of the year" this year, after discussion among the team and feedback from the public, we will be cancelling that policy. The number of stickies very quickly got out of hand.
I like this decision.

Thanks for another great update summary! Especially the call out to the DC Browser thread; I've been so busy recently that I managed to totally miss it!

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Definitely think the Direct thread deserved thread of the month :( That's my favourite thing to have ever happened in the history of both forums.

I love these Newsletters.

TI92

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't see ads even though I disabled all my adblockers for this site specifically.

Also, was the Q&Era canceled?

And January is good, my birthday was yesterday. Had a great time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.