ResetEra June 2018 Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

Foreword

Welcome to the ResetEra June 2018 Newsletter. That was quite the month, wasn't it? Our very first E3 has come and gone, and summer is officially here!

E3 Statistics

Some of you have been asking about our stats during E3, and we're here to deliver, courtesy of our wonderful tech team! Breaking it down, here's the total number of posts and threads created by day:
Code:
June 09, 2018: 45,386 posts, 172 threads
June 10, 2018: 53,506 posts, 176 threads
June 11, 2018: 76,623 posts, 255 threads
June 12, 2018: 87,566 posts, 291 threads
June 13, 2018: 51,745 posts, 239 threads
June 14, 2018: 46,438 posts, 231 threads
Over the course of E3, from June 9th to June 14th, you guys created an incredible 361,264 posts and 1,364 new threads. In that same time, ResetEra had a mind-blowing 26,143,480 page views! Whatever expectations anyone might have had, you guys blew right through them all.

A big thank you and hearty congratulations to everyone in the community for making our first E3 such a tremendous success. You guys are the best!

Server Heroism

We would like to highlight in particular the efforts of ratrosaw and the rest of our tech team in keeping the site up and functional during E3. These guys are unsung heroes who labored tirelessly behind the scenes before and during the event, making adjustments on the fly so that each day the servers ran a little smoother. Not only did they overcome a tremendous challenge, but thanks to this experience we will be even better prepared to handle the next big event.

For anyone who might be curious about such things, you can read about the work that went into our server preparations here in greater depth.

Ongoing GiftBot Development

Now that we can safely take our focus off of E3, we hope to put out new updates to GiftBot in the near future. It has come to our attention that some lurkers have unfortunately been exploiting GiftBot in ways that go against the spirit of what it's all about. Our immediate priority will be addressing this by implementing limits to how often you can win and by taking action against clear abusers.

10,000,000 Posts!

Although technically a July achievement, we want to give a warm shout out to ElephantShell of NHL Era who today made our ten millionth post here on ResetEra. This is an extraordinary landmark and we never imagined it'd be reached so soon. Here's to the next ten million!

Official ResetEra PS4 Dynamic Theme Development

In response to high demand, the ever talented m0dus has launched a community driven project to develop a premium quality ResetEra dynamic theme for PS4. We have given this effort our official blessing. Throughout this process m0dus will be soliciting feedback from the community and may even live stream some of the weekend coding sessions! Once completed, the theme will be made available for free.

Video Game Releases

The following are new games that released in the month of June that have an OT on ResetEra. As always, if there are any games that were missed, please tag SweetNicole in this thread and she will add it to the list.
Video Game Community Spotlights

As a reminder, Video Game Community Spotlights were shortened this past month due to E3.
EtcetEra Community Spotlights
Thread Highlights

June was Pride Month, and in recognition we'd like to highlight a few threads that celebrated the occasion!

Queer? Here? Used To It? It's Pride Month! is a celebration of all things Pride Month.

There's also the wonderful Pride-ify Your Avatar! thread for those who want to add a little rainbow love to their avatars.

And of course we'd be remiss to not highlight our LGBTQ community here on ResetEra in the LGBTQera |ERA1| (We're Queer) thread.

Conclusion

A successful E3 is both a milestone and a coming of age for ResetEra, but as far as we've come already, we're not content to stop here. There are big plans already in motion for even more improvements to the site, and we're looking forward to sharing more about that in the months ahead!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Nice. Glad to see the naysayers were wrong and it wasn’t about the name on the front or the particular forum but the community and the people who post here.

And staff did a great job during the event. I cannot say there were not issues but I had no issues accessing the site for the most part, no crashes like I have seen in previous e3’s on different forums.

Also thanks for making the theme official, I will definitely make sure to use it when it drops, my platinum Bloodborne one is getting old.

Congratulation and thanks, the best forum on the net, keeps getting better, and even its flaws and faults wouldn’t keep me from posting here.

Snormy

Oct 25, 2017
Nice update. I didn't know people were abusing modbot. Glad it is being worked on.

Server Heroism

We would like to highlight in particular the efforts of ratrosaw and the rest of our tech team in keeping the site up and functional during E3. These guys are unsung heroes who labored tirelessly behind the scenes before and during the event, making adjustments on the fly so that each day the servers ran a little smoother. Not only did they overcome a tremendous challenge, but thanks to this experience we will be even better prepared to handle the next big event.

For anyone who might be curious about such things, you can read about the work that went into our server preparations here in greater depth.
I feel like this deserves it own praise. It is easy to complain when things go wrong but when things are relatively smooth we often forget to praise where it is due. Definitely one of the smoothest e3 periods I've experienced.

Fantomas

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Aww, thanks for highlighting my pride avatar thread, it was a fun month helping to make those for people!

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Great newsletter as always Nicole :)

....I can't wait for that PS4 theme :]]]

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Now that we can safely take our focus off of E3, we hope to put out new updates to GiftBot in the near future. It has come to our attention that some lurkers have unfortunately been exploiting GiftBot in ways that go against the spirit of what it's all about. Our immediate priority will be addressing this by implementing limits to how often you can win and by taking action against clear abusers.
Bless.
This kind of abuse was always a problem on the old site so it doesn't come as a surprise that this would happen here too.

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks alot. So far, everyone is doing a great job. The best things about ResetEra so far are:

The good:

- Banning Transparency and the "warning" system is really, really great.
- Mods and Admins feel like part of the community.
- Eventhough the site is just a couple of month old, it's already a great place to hang out and talk about videogames (and other stuff)

Things that could be improved:

- So far, the only thing that could be improved is the design of the site. It's already pretty good (especially the legacy dark theme), but I feel the site hasn't found it's 100% best design yet.

- that being said, I hope that whoever is in charge of the site design is giving some thought to the overall colour of the site as well. While purple and black (like in the dark theme) works kinda well together, I fell purple and grey and white for everything else isn't that great. To me those colour combinations feel "sad" or kinda unpleasent somehow or at least "not happy enough".

I hate to say it, but that's the only thing GAF (don't get me wrong, that site is never getting to get a click from me ever again) has over resetera right now: In my opinion orange is superior to purple.

That being said, the new brighter purple from the dayEra design is already an improvement. But overall, I just wanted to say, that considering all options (even other colours) would not be a bad idea.

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Is there something specific holding back the Xenforo 2.x update? Assuming that's going to happen at some point that is. The improvements that come out of the box are pretty great and I would have thought that that would take priority over anything else.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Is there something specific holding back the Xenforo 2.x update? Assuming that's going to happen at some point that is. The improvements that come out of the box are pretty great and I would have thought that that would take priority over anything else.
It's definitely something that we're planning on doing; it's a matter of waiting. We don't have a specific ETA or timeframe, so I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Nov 2, 2017
I thought Era was going to implode during E3. Not going to lie. Well done all involved. June is a difficult period all around.

Eorl

Oct 30, 2017
Australia
Wait so literally nothing about development on the new themes pushed across the board that took no input from the community at all, still have issues to be fixed and continue to be met with deafening silence? Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.